[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright, /mu/. Let's talk about music in terms of your local

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

File: aoisjd.jpg (495KB, 1280x850px) Image search: [Google]
aoisjd.jpg
495KB, 1280x850px
Alright, /mu/. Let's talk about music in terms of your local music scenes.

Does the scene kind of make or break it for you?

Do you love it, and think about it before you go to bed at night?

Are they complacent in terms of forward motion, or does nothing really ever change too much?
>>
Cleveland

No real music scene that I know of, but we get hella concerts and bands coming through being in between nyc and chicago. Also a nice range of small to arena size venues
>>
>>54673948

You can be a good guitarist, that doesn't mean you'll get a good bass and drums.

You can get a second guitarist, fail at drums or just don't have a bass with cynergy.

Here, finding a drummer or bass that can hold your style is impossible, they create most likely girls bands and tribute bands.

So you eventually consider yourself out, until you get out.
>>
>>54674003
There's a huge DIY punk/garage scene in Cleveland man, wut u talkin bout?
>>
As far as I know there is literally nothing in uptown Toronto, side from like one rapper that is barely notable.
>>
>>54674214
>yfw the pic I used from this thread is Toronto.

Do you guys even look around town? Holy shit.
>>
Houston is basically nonexistent
>>
How do you get involved in the local scene. I'd love to explore the music in my area and possibly meet up with like-minded individuals, but none of my friends care about music all that much and I don't really know where to find shows for local bands. Any tips?
>>
Minneapolis

getting better all the time
>>
Montreal scene is pretty much a circle jerk

although whenever I go to a show all the dope artists go because they're all friends, so it's cool in that regard

met d'Eon, Peter from Homeshake / Mac Demarco, Alex Calder, all the guys from TOPS, Doldrums, Laura from No Joy, Majical Cloudz, Sean Nicholas Savage, Agor from Blue Hawaii, Ra from Blue Hawaii / BRAIDS, I've also seen a few Arcade Fire members around

it's cool I guess, hoping to get an internship at Arbutus / Constellation soon, maybe get into the scene a bit more
and cinch me a copy of All Lights Fucked ya feel me
>>
Dayton, Ohio

great Hardcore scene, unfortunately nobody is doing shows but there is also a good indie/shoegaze scene going on.
>>
>>54674453
look for local promoters, like them on fb / follow on twitter
usually gives you insight as to what's going on in town and when
look into local artists online (if you know of any), and see where they branch out
if there's a "hip" neighbourhood in your town look for flyers and posters, usually promoters put up posters around venues
go to record stores and see if they have any flyers, or ask the clerks what's happening
>>
>>54673948
My local scene is nothing but punk bands copying each other/doing what's cool right now, a few shoegaze bands and like one death metal band. I always make fun of hardcore punk music because the hardcore kids get so worked up. It's literally all they listen to and I just can't fuck with it
>>
>Calgary

way fucking better than it used to be although everything still seems to need to go through Chad VanGaalen in one way or another.
>>
Local scene is a mixture of generic death metal bands and metallica cover bands. Very boring, might explain the heavy drinking culture around here
>>
>>54673948
My local scene is a bunch of boring hardcore stuff. It's people who can't play, but want to be the next Thursday or Dillinger Escape Plan. Nothing changes.
>>
The local scene here is some form of indie/surf punk with bands that all sound that same. Nobody cares about the quality of their music since they're all shitfaced when the bands perform
>>
>>54674986
>>54674744
I'm guessing Philadelphia?
>>
>>54674680
Hey thanks man, this should help a lot.
>>
shitty bluegrass or jazz
sucks ass. i'd contribute but i don't know how to play an instrument.
>>
>>54675007
Near Los Angeles
>>
>>54673948
>Toledo
it's a bunch of generic metalcore bands trying to be the next Asking Alexandria or Sleeping With Sirens or some shit. Just a bunch of chugging guitars and screaming.
>>
>>54675007
>Philadelphia

This hits hard, but it's true. For all the props we get for our scene, to me it just seems like a lot of party-punk and self-important hardcore or emo.

Still, I'd like to attend some more house shows than the handful I've been to, anyone from Philly have any pointers?
>>
Ashland, Oregon

Killer traditional music scene, but the rest is hip/hop or reggae with the occasional jazz band. We get some cool people coming through from Portland and San Fran sometimes.
>>
Austin.

Massively overrated, although it's nice having a lot of places to play. SXSW is a complete shitshow and I wish it didn't have to happen in my city
>>
Eugene, OR

Out on the streets its hippies and homeless singing and playing guitar.
Inside places where they aren't allowed its mostly folk. We do get a pretty big variety of outside talent since its a convenient stop for musicians traveling up I-5.
>>
>>54674776

I know, right? Calgary's scene is getting there. Based Chad is the local Kingmaker.

Do you like Astral Swans/ Extra happy ghost?
>>
>>54673948

Is SHIT good live OP? I don't live in the US so I've never seen them play.
>>
>>54674546

Have you met Grimes? What does she smell like? Does she smell like feet + fruit bubblegum?
>>
>>54674776
I wish I could complain about everything in my local scene having to go through Chad VanGaalen. Thank you Calgary for such fantastic music
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.