[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

King Crimson

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

Which King Crimson albums are worth hearing?

i mean, they have like 30 albums, is there anyone i should just skip?
>>
>>54565098
Listen to all of them. They are insanely diverse and the mishaps are often as interesting as the times they get it perfect.
>>
File: Captura.png (1KB, 254x22px) Image search: [Google]
Captura.png
1KB, 254x22px
>>54565141
damn i feared that answer.

here i go.. this is going to take some months..
>>
>>54565260
If you really want the shortcut then Focus on the Big Four
ITCOTCK
LTIA
Red
Discipline

The shit you miss out on is ridiculous though.
>Poseidon's mastery of Court's sound
>The piercing peaks of Islands
>The Classical-Jazz-Rock fusion of Lizard
>Starless and Bible Black's Live energy and enigmatic songs.
>The Failure of Beat as a commercial attempt, that ends with a sad free-jazz song
>Perfect Pair's delve into industrial
>Thrak's crushing riffs an more conventional songwriting
>CoL's Tool-esque songwriting
>The Power to Believe even becomes borderline electronic based, with the pro programmed drums
>>
>>54565098
Skip angloprog.

Hell, skip prog. Real patricians hardly ever listen to anything that isn't classical.
>>
>>54565260
I've been slowly buying my way through the King Crim discography for a few years now. All I would say is don't rush it. Enjoy each album for what it is. Some are weaker than others but for a band that have been going since '69, they maintain a relatively decent standard in their music.

imo, start with ITCOTCK and then Red or Discipline, those are the three 'main' albums everyone talks about. After that, listen chronologically. The real fun is in discovering how their sound evolves between LPs.
Also, if you want an idea of how they sound now, check out Live at the orpheum once you are done.
>>
>>54565427
OP listen to this man

Why do people dislike Beat so much though? I love it - It's definitely a re-hash of Discipline much like Poseidon was of ITCOTCK, but the songs themselves are well-crafted imo. A lot of them feel like they expanded on Discipline's concepts.
>>
>>54565098
unless you're autistic, the only one you need to hear is the red face album
>>
>>54565598
I think it's because the album is pretty subpar by KC's standards. I kind of like it though. It isn't as memorable or as defining as Discipline but as you rightly observe, it does a decent job of expanding on Discipline's sound. Given how long King Crimson had been around by that point and how little publicity they received given their innovations, I'm not surprised they tried to go 'commercial' at least once. Not necessarily because of the money but I think for anyone working on the fringe between mainstream and the underground, after a certain point, you do grow a little frustrated when your music continues to go relatively unnoticed.
>>
>>54565688
stfu you ignorant bastard
In the Wake of Poseidon and
Lizard are fucking great, and even better than ITCOTCK imo
>>
File: there's a simple truth to me.png (404KB, 472x345px) Image search: [Google]
there's a simple truth to me.png
404KB, 472x345px
>>54565427
>Poseidon's mastery of Court's sound
I want to come in briefly and second this because I've seen people here shit on Poseidon because it's similar to Court of the Crimson King. It is, I admit that. But it's that style of music hammered down to perfection with no lapses in quality. There's no 'Moonchild' to Poseidon. Not that Moonchild is bad but it wasn't great on that album, the 'Peace' interludes are more enjoyable and work better thematically.

The album art is super fucking pretentious when you hear the story behind it though.
>>
File: King_Crimson_-_Discipline.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
King_Crimson_-_Discipline.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>54565098
>>pic related
>>
>>54565927
Allow me as a third person to chime in and say the self-titled of In The Wake of Poseidon is beautiful and difficult not to listen to.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.