[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rock music is dead. There really isn't any new bands that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 3

File: born to feel 2.jpg (9KB, 189x250px) Image search: [Google]
born to feel 2.jpg
9KB, 189x250px
Rock music is dead. There really isn't any new bands that are getting any hype here or anywhere like how artists like Kendrick Lamar, Kanye, other rap and pop artists get.

What will it take for rock music to be great again? I just don't see it happening anytime soon. The rap and pop artists are just way better than them at the moment.
>>
have you heard the latest albums from Torche and Floor
>>
We still have Radiohead, melt-banana, and Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Not to mention Swans. We'll be fine.
>>
good meme. also your a fucking crybaby. i bet u piss urself sometimes
>>
>>54500033
Go overseas and try to tell me this.
>>
>>54500110
But they've been around for a long time.
>>
rock needs another gg allin or some crazy shit like that
>>
>>54500089
They don't have a 9.3 or 10 on pitchfork.
>>
>>54500219
thread hidden
>>
rappers are the new rockstars. kanye and kendrick are the modern hair metal guys
>>
>>54500312
They're better than that.
>>
>>54500033

This is only the case in the US.

Literally everywhere else, rock is still outselling everything else.

Example: In the UK Rock, outsells pop. Rock also outsells hiphop ten to one in the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26139327

US music is fucking horseshit to be honest
>>
Rock is going where Jazz went in the '70s. Much the same way it won't ever die, it will just take a backseat.
>>
>>54500336
No. They're not.
>>
it's all the same shit
who cares what sells more
it's all audible garbage
>>
>>54500033
Where were you last year? To Be Kind is undoubtedly the most iconic album of 2014.
>>
theyve been saying that since the 70s
>>
>>54500675
Overrated album from a band that has been around since the 80's.
>>
It's only a matter of months until new Tame Impala rolls out.
>>
"Rock music " hasn't changed much since the early 2000s. Until something new sounding from the genre comes I don't see it going back to the way it is. Rock is too consistent.
>>
I still really like Wavves and FIDLAR guys
>>
Rock is still alive and well around the world, but it's not doing anything new. In indie rock, everything is wrapped up in self-awareness and aping of influences from popular nineties bands. The titans of indie rock like Modest Mouse and Built to Spill only return to release mediocre unnecessary albums. The whole scene's in a huge rut, so music journalists are turning their attention elsewhere where innovation and lateral thinking are still happening.

I mean, whenever some shitty indie band manages to fart out a semi-decent laid back jangly pop record like Real Estate or Mac DeMarco or DIIV, Pitchfork still shits itself over it, so it's not like rap and pop are taking away from indie's spotlight.
>>
>>54500033
Rock is a terrible music genre anyway, anything interesting it had to give has already been done in the 70's.
>>
>>54500826
>Wavves
>Fidlar

Tumblr GTFO
>>
>>54500850
/mu/ used to shit their pants of KotB, what are you talking about dude
>>
>>54500336
Bull fucking shit! I'm not a fan of hair metal, but it takes way more hard work to be able to play an instrument or do melodic vocals (before Antares or Melodyne mind you) than it takes to be a "producer" and speak someone else's lyrics every once in a while.
>>
>>54500110
>Radiohead
>great

nice try
>>
>>54500905
I was trying not to underrate the current rap artists. Hair metal was shit.
>>
>>54500905
playing instruments isn't that hard. especially if you're in a shitty hair metal band
>>
>>54500895
2010 was a long time ago, friendo
>>
>>54500905
>implying basic competency at guitar is "playing an instrument"
>implying loud yelling vaguely matching the beat is "melodic"
>implying rock music isn't complete shit
lmao
>>
>>54501000
You like Huey Lewis and the news?
>>
Depends on what you mean by rock. Stuff that sounds like Foo Fighters? There's still quite a bit of buttrock. I think most "indie" artists are pop and rock hybrids these days.
>>
>>54500979
right. but it's bullshit to say Wavves is a tumblr band
>>
>>54501000
dank trips duuude
>>
>>54500033
>Rock music is dead.

In total worldwide sales, Rock outsells everything.

In terms of live music, Bon Jovi were the biggest grossing live music act of 2013/2014 believe it or not.....beating Beyonce, Lady Gaga and Katy Perry by a huge margin.

mtv/radio rock is dead, but rock is selling as big as ever
>>
>>54500951
I agree, but Kanye and Kendrick Lamar are just as shit. Hair metal guys at least put work into honing a craft.
>>
>>54500033
Rock music was killed in early 1970 when Black Sabbath released "Paranoid". It took a backseat to metal.

If you think metal is dead you have to be kidding me m80
>>
>>54501169
>differentiates rock and metal
lmao it's all just degenerates making loud throbbing noises with instruments
just at slightly different tempos
>>
>>54501000
First, basic competency at guitar is by definition "playing an instrument," you fucking retard.

Second, yelling in tune with a band can be challenging, and they didn't have any way to correct their singing, the technology didn't exist yet, you actually had to have an idea what you're doing. I'd like to see you try it.

Third, fuck your opinions on rock music if you can't come up with some kind of justification for them. Nobody wants to see asshole plebs spouting shit they don't understand or can't explain.

Finally, what the fuck instruments do you play that you can hold an informed opinion much less shit on other people's playing?
>>
>>54500033
>Rock music is dead
No.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cawk2cMTnGo
>>
>>54501291
why are you so upset that someone doesn't treat retard noise like good music? if you're so triggered by ableism, you shouldn't have left tumblr.
>>
>>54501353
The fuck does ableism have to do with this?
>>
>>54501353
I don't give a fuck about the guy's music preferences, I give a fuck that he's dismissive and a cunt.
>>
>>54501564
Because rock is noise made by and for retards, and treating it like real music is SJW bullshit of the highest degree
>>
>>54501620
>/pol/ discovers /mu/ for the first time
Annnd filtered.
>>
>>54501639
>filtering Anonymous
typical rock listener
>>
>>54501653
>being this insecure about the genre of music you listen to
I bet you are just a blast at parties.
>>
but this is literally album of the decade
>>
>>54501653
>i kep it 300.
>like da romans
>>
>>54501620
What kind of music do you listen to oh great paragon of highbrow artistic pretension?
>>
>>54501724
what's that supposed to mean?
rap is just a shitty rock genre
>>54501740
everything except the sound of dicks swinging around
>>
>>54500905
>Bull fucking shit! I'm not a fan of hair metal, but it takes way more hard work to be able to play an instrument or do melodic vocals (before Antares or Melodyne mind you) than it takes to be a "producer" and speak someone else's lyrics every once in a while.

Do you honestly believe the majority of corporate rock wasn't ghost written?
>>
>>54501788
>except the sound of dicks swinging around
Only you would think of such a thing. You clearly have a thing for dick metal. That's cool, man. Just be more clear next time. You enjoy the sound of dicks smacking against eachother. Its that simple, man.
>>
>>54500374
> us music is horseshit compared to uk music
MY SIDES HOLY SHIT
>>
>>54501791
Good point Anon, I'll concede that.
>>
>>54501213
Ok

Thanks for that great contribution to the thread
>>
>>54501830
metal is just rock, which is just retards performing primitive mating rituals in public
>>
>>54500033
>kanye
>better than anyone in rock
>>
>implying going underground isn't the ideal outcome
>>
>>54501291
I play Jazz Trumpet
Producing is it's own beast. I'd say it's up there in terms of difficulty. Most hair metal wasn't that intricate either to be honest, so I don't know why you're holding it to such a high standard that it is better than rap.
I've always found producing a song solely on your own (obviously most rap artists don't do it on their own but they play a huge role) more difficult than playing anything a rock/metal band would do.
Just my opinion/experiences though
>>
>>54502182
I don't put hair metal on any pedestal, I just think that learning to be competent at an instrument (even at the basic level to play shit like Def Leppard) is more impressive than being someone propped up by a major label's publicity machine.

I would have much more respect for Kanye and other rappers who produce their own music if they were doing anything innovative. Rick Rubin (who's no Bob Clearmountain or George Martin) did something new and revolutionary, and his approach has been criticized as "reducing" a record (as opposed to producing one), but he's a great producer! A lot of today's musicians call themselves a producer because it's officious and cool sounding and they don't actually perform the quality assurance role that is so essential to producing. I think it's impossible to produce your own music because you can't be the objective critical view that a producer needs.
>>
>>54502497
Learning an instrument and learning how to produce are the same exact thing. Just because you paly one with your hands and the other with a synths/keyboards/programs or whatever you're using, doesn't make either harder than the other.
I don't give a shit that rappers don't solely produce their own music. No one ever does that besides unknown nobody groups or solo artists. Making a rock song is a collaborative effort, and so is producing a rap song.
>>
>>54502681
>Learning an instrument and learning how to produce are the same exact thing
sort of but not really

>Just because you paly one with your hands and the other with a synths/keyboards/programs or whatever you're using, doesn't make either harder than the other
if you're gonna try to tell me that playing a van halen guitar solo is at the same level as programming a drum part, you're simply wrong, sorry.
>>
>>54502823
How am I wrong? Listen to any IDM and tell me that isn't as if not more complex than most rock. You have seriously limitless possibilities when you are producing a song to make anything. Every sound you could ever think of can go into a song.
>sort of but not really
It's actually the same exact thing. You're learning how to make sounds sound enjoyable
>van halen of all things you could choose from
I'm out you baited me good. In the end everything is as a baby hitting a xylophone compared to jazz and classical. Peace
>>
>>54500493
ebin
>>
>>54500033
why do you care so much. "dead" only means that it isn't mainstream. you're just a trendy faggot that's insecure about liking rock.
>>
>>54503049
the non mainstream is also crap.
>>
>>54502970
>Every sound you could ever think of can go into a song.
except the sound of a physical instrument played by a real person

>I'm out you baited me good. In the end everything is as a baby hitting a xylophone compared to jazz and classical.
oh i get it, you're a pretentious snob and you think youre better than those lowly rock guitar virtuosos
>>
>>54503098
so fucking make it better you useless shit
>>
>>54500033
culturaly, hiphop type music is what rock was in the 60s, when the groundbreaking artists were people like the beatles and the beach boys (as in they were actively experimentingg and trying to create music, and the result was still popular to the masses). Years from now a different genre will hold this title, and in the future when popular music is studied acedemically there will be a terminology for this.
>>
>>54503140
>rock
>virtuosos
lmao
>>
>>54500727
Why does it matter how long the band existed? Why does that necesarilly have an impact on the quality of the music?
>>
>>54500454

so, you're saying rock will be in the backseat for 40+ years?
>>
>>54501353
dumbest post in the history of mu. go back to reddit you dumb nigger
>>
>>54503392
buttrock listener choose /b/ instead
>>
>>54503140
>what are synths
>what are keyboards
>what are pianos
>>
all genres die man. you don't see many baroque sonata composers around these days either.
>>
File: 1331222465344.jpg (109KB, 563x364px) Image search: [Google]
1331222465344.jpg
109KB, 563x364px
>>54503466
underrated post
>>
>>54503724

You can't be the first person to reply after someone and say "underrated post" you fucking asshole.
>>
>>54500831
>being this hipster

Le fedora tip for you, good sir :^)
>>
>>54500831
>rock
>ever interesting
lmao
>>
>>54503744
overrated post
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.