[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Music you just don't "get"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 2

File: space-place-sun-ta-egypt.jpg (60KB, 450x343px) Image search: [Google]
space-place-sun-ta-egypt.jpg
60KB, 450x343px
Is there any kind of music you don't "get" or can you see the appeal of it all for different people and you just have your own preferences?

I really don't get rock music. It's hard to explain because it seems like everyone gets it whether they happen to like it or not but to me it just sounds bad. The constant 4/4 rock beat sounds like there's construction work going on stuck in a time warp loop. Bangbangbangbangbangbangbang snare drum. My brain is like "What is this crap?" And I don't understand this combination of guitar/bass/drums/vocals like it is something sacred. It sounds terrible to me. Guitars sound like some kind of tinny fuzz, bass like a digestive system, vocals like a dying animal...

Am I alone in thinking this way? I've always had this weird reaction to rock music whenever I hear it or someone plays it. The worst is being in a car with someone and they blast it. Ugh. It's really uncomfortable for me.
>>
niceme.me
>>
Like you can't listen to hendrix and enjoy it?
>>
i don't get pop music like taylor swift or beyonce.

its just stupid and retarded.
>>
I don't get rock either, 15 odd albums in 60 years worth listening to.

That and rap.
>>
I don't get the appeal of Blur.
>>
>>54221802
what's there to get about rap; you don't like it when somebody raps somethin out?
>>
>>54221856
It ruins perfectly good hip hop music.
>>
>>54221865
I feel that, man.
>>
>>54221733
Shit like arctic monkeys and elbow

Swear to god it couldn't be anymore generic its like watching paint dry

Or you have to be white to get it fuck knows
>>
>>54221733
Ah to be 15 again...
>>
on a scale of 1-10 how autistic are you?
>>
>>54221914
>you're underage

>>54221939
>you're autistic

bless
>>
>>54221865
good thing instrumentals exist, eh.
>>
>>54221987
PROTIP: Hip hop was instrumental first
>>
>>54221788

Because it is.
>>
I really dislike rapping to the point that I can't listen to a song if some form of rap is involved.

It just sounds so boring to me, the guy is essentially talking. Makes for some kind of weird contrast between the music and the vocals, like I'm waiting until the song finally really starts but that just doesn't happen.
>>
>>54221939
OP here. I actually am on the autism scale but consider myself preddy intelligent. Maybe my retard brain just can't grasp the brilliant complexity of rock music? ;-)
>>
>>54222015
yes, beats have existed for a very long time. and I meant instrumentals as in, the backing music behind a lot of music that is released with rappers on the tracks.
>>
>>54221733

What do you listen anon to :^)
>>
because music died by the end of 90s
>>
>>54222036
can your ears not detect rhythm/cadence?
>>
>>54222040
Standard rock is very simple, it just sounds "good" and is easy to get into, no need to get salty.

Not him btw
>>
>>54222083
Just checked, they can. What does this have to do with my post though?
>>
>>54222088
I figured that, I've just been kind of curious about why I perceive it the way I do. What inspired me to make this thread is that some of my friends are in a rock band and we hung out last night and they played me their new stuff. I just kind of smiled politely, while hearing a cacophony of noise (I actually like the noise genre, funnily enough). They were really into it and pleased with themselves so I guess they did something well but to me it was just like... not enjoyable, kind of grating and uncomfortable like when you walk in a room with a loud TV playing and just want to get out.
>>
>>54222040
>Maybe my retard brain just can't grasp the brilliant complexity of rock music?
u may be on to something there.
>>
>>54222175
Move on everyone, nothing to see from this underage autistic shitlord.
>>
>>54222199
>actually believing that was OP
>>
>>54222175
Dunno man, subjective taste I guess.

What do you usually listen to?
>>
>>54222139
>the guy is essentially talking. Makes for some kind of weird contrast between the music and the vocals
The best rappers utilize their flow as an extra instrument to the music. Biggie was famous for his jazzy bouncy flow. Myka 9 is another known for his jazzy flow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiYzPWLne4A
>>
>>54221902
>arctic monkeys
>generic

shit maybe

but their first album punk/indie sound was pretty unique
>>
Most Harsh Noise.

I just don't get what people can find good about it.

Like, how can you bear to listen to it?
>>
>>54221788
Same, I don't get how it's so widely liked. I'm not being a "RONG GENURASHUN-er" or anything, I listen to plenty of quite poppy music myself. Top40 music just sounds honestly terrible to me. I can't even enjoy it when I'm extremely drunk. I just don't understand the appeal.
>>
File: b1_InezAndVinoodh_print.jpg (249KB, 1484x989px) Image search: [Google]
b1_InezAndVinoodh_print.jpg
249KB, 1484x989px
<
>>
>>54222353
i blame the dominance of dr luke and max martin productions. It all started to sound the same years ago.
>>
>>54222368
So.
Much.
This.
>>
>>54222238
>actually caring either way
>>
>>54221733
To me, good rock music should be visceral above all things. If you don't feel a little excited when you hear Eddie Cochran - Summertime Blues, The Stooges - Search and Destroy,or Guns And Roses - Welcome To The Jungle (to name but three of many many killer songs) I just don't know what to tell you OP.

It's music you got to feel, if you're looking for complexity or intelligence or soaring vocals 'pure' rock and roll ain't for you - but perhaps one of rock's many sub genres might be

If operatic vocals are your thing, check out Dio, Judas Priest or Iron Maiden. If just fucking god given pipes are your thing, how you gonna deny Elvis or Roy Orbinson? If you think their vocals 'sound like a dying animal' you're a fucking idiot and there's no help for you.

If it's complexity you want (I don't, no reccs here) prog and math rock have it in spades
>>
pretty much any metal. i wish i could enjoy it because neglecting an entire genre makes me feel pretty ignorant.
>>
>>54222306
It's the textures mostly, Pulse Demon is trash because it's mostly just one volume.
1930 by Merzbow is much better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4g2Zjolsa0
More actual texture
>>
>>54222522
You ever try any stoner metal? It leans much more towards being heavy than it does being harsh. It's the only genre of metal that I listen to even semi-regularly these days.
>>
>>54222296

Arctic Monkey were a top-tier band up until their latest release imo. Lyrically Alex Turner is easily one of the best of his generation.
>>
>>54221788
>>54222026
>>54222353
It makes more sense if you stop thinking about it as music and start seeing it as a whole package of music, dance, fashion, theatricality, videography, cult of personality, sex appeal, etc... The music at the centre of it is just a simple statement piece like a marketing slogan, not intended to do much more than imbue a sentiment.
>>
>>54221733
Captain Beefheart
>>
>>54222643
I haven't. i'll give it a try though, any recs?
>>
>>54221902
>Or you have to be white to get it fuck knows
You have to be white and a pleb
>>
I don't get afrobeat. It's just shitty jazz with pro-Africa lyrics. And it's like they worship Fela Kuti or something.
>>
I don't really get metal or classical. Metal because all the stuff I've heard people call good just sounds like dad-rock to me, although I've never checked out what metal /mu/ likes, it's probably better. Classical I don't get because I just can't understand how it could actually interest anyone. Seems like a really outdated sound to me tbh.
>>
>>54224185
what kind of metal?
>>
>>54224185
>outdated
The point of classical is that it doesn't go out of fashion
And speaking strictly about the sound, most modern movies still use orchestral soundtracks so the sound is still widely used in popular culture.

>metal that doesn't sound like dadrock but is still entry-level and good
Try https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGHlZwMYO9g maybe
>>
>>54221733
I don't get synthpop. To me it sounds ridiculous and wishy-washy, or a mix of gaudy and blasé. The compositions are generally simplistic as fuck and rely on the terrible vocals. Are there even instrumental synthpop bands?
>>
>>54224313
Slayer, Black Sabbath, Metallica, that stuff. I assume there's better metal out there though.
>>54224496
Yeah I know it's still relevant in pop culture, I just meant I find modern genres more interesting. I'm sure there's good classical music out there too though because I don't think there are any genres that broad that don't include good music, I just haven't heard anything I liked very much.
Also that metal song's pretty good, I don't really care about entry level though, just quality, because if something seems interesting I'll give it a bunch of listens.
>>
>>54224802
classical music, much like jazz, is hard to get heavy into it if you don't play music at a moderately advanced level.

If you do and you still don't like it or see the appeal, then that's kinda odd.
>>
>>54224802
Okay, here are a few very different classical pieces that might spark your interest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2pS1AOG240
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJJiUeBx-IM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6RBf_j5Y7A
(you did mean classical music in general and not Classical the period right?)

>I don't really care about entry level though, just quality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqK6s93wqRU
>>
>>54224861
Well I've played guitar around 12 years, and have taken music theory classes, but I'm not really classically trained or anything like that so I don't know if that counts. Maybe I just like easy listening, Idk. It feels like classical just has less going on because they had all those rules of composition they followed so as not to do anything dissonant. Plus it always feels so laid back and confined in terms of energy.
>>
>>54225087
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqK6s93wqRU [Remove]
Damn that's a good song, I had a feeling there would be cool stuff like this out there. Haven't listened to the classical stuff yet cause it's longer but I will.
>>
>>54224682
The only instrumental synthpop album I know is The Movie by Futurecop! (with the ! at the end). Their other album has some of the same songs with vocals and is generally worse for it.
>>
Reggae and AnCo.
>>
>>54225447
Thanks for the rec, I tried listening to it but I swear it makes me physically cringe everytime I hear those kinds of sounds. I can't do it!
>>
>>54225111
"they had all those rules of composition they followed so as not to do anything dissonant"
>what is Stravinsky
>what is Prokofiev
>what is Shostakovich
>what is Debussy
>what is Rautavaara
>what is Schnittke
Even Bach had dissonance, for God's sake.
>>
>>54225111
>Plus it always feels so laid back and confined in terms of energy.
Ah well maybe I should have begun with the usual pieces people who don't like classical like anyway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-yLvzw6HWE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqSulR9Fymg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBA-38mzabs
>>
>>54225638
Huh, I'm the opposite. I'm incredibly weak for those kinds of sounds.
>>
>>54225111
>listen to 5:10 onward
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMb1Unk4Axg&index=7&list=PLD153F5471DF69360

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1TcToU2bO8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiH3vA7q0jo
>>
>>54225755
Yeah never listened to any of those you listed other than Bach. I am pretty much as pleb as it is possible to be when it comes to what classical music I have heard. That's why I admit there is probably stuff I would like that I just haven't heard yet.
>>
>>54225946
Listen to >>54225898 , specially the last one.
>>
Reggea.

To me it seems like people who listen to it just want to justify doing drugs or because they need it to fit their totally rebellious stoner image.
>>
>>54226032

Also, I can't see any appeal in blues.
>>
>>54221733
If you'd of only held the cup

If you'd of only held the cup

If you'd of only held the cup while I pour.
>>
>>54221788
But Beyonce's self titled album was fucking great. Other's are just aimed for teen girls like Taylor Swift's music
>>
>>54221733
The eighth circuit is concerned with quantum consciousness, non-local awareness (information from beyond ordinary space-time awareness which is limited by the speed of light), illumination.
>>
>>54223355
Not him but sleep - dopesmoker and electric wizard dopethrone are /mu/ classics. i prefer dopesmoker but it's long as fuck so maybe start with dopethrone or something
>>
>>54221733

I for one love that Space is the place song, that riff is killer. I never even thought anything weird about it until I played it for other people
>>
>>54226240
Space is the place is a great album. Always reminds me of blue cheese for some reason, maybe i ate it when i first listened to it or something
>>
>>54226032
>this nigga thinks reggae = Bob Marley
I don't know how people like you can even live with yourself.

Go listen to some real reggae or just skip straight to dub.
>>
We build and destroy in response to every sound the crowd makes
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.