[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much do you pirate? Why do you pirate it? Do musicians

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

File: music-piracy-logo.jpg (11KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
music-piracy-logo.jpg
11KB, 250x250px
How much do you pirate?

Why do you pirate it?

Do musicians have to meet certain criteria to make you want to pirate their work, or purchase their work?
>>
This is not a somalian shipboard.
>>
My parents pay my bills, I don't feel comfortable paying with their money for something I can get for free
>>
>dongs
>>
>>54180735
Interesting perspective.
>>
I sometimes will buy an album I enjoyed.
I'm not going to buy an album without listening to it in full.
If I couldn't pirate music I would've never gotten into music and never would've purchased the 150~ albums I own nor would I have gone to some concerts.
>>
>>54180735
Of all the lame excuses this ranks among the worst.

I, like fucking everyone who pirates, do it because it's free and I like having money.

I'm not gonna get into the morals of it etc but watching other pirates squirm with weird excuses that try and seem like they're being noble (as above) or fighting against the establishment somehow... it's all fucking cringeworthy.
>>
if the band is giving it for free than I'll take it. i usually only pirate more popular music tho cuz what the fuck are they gonna miss it. small artists that clearly aren't in out for money are the ones who probably deserve it the most.
>>
>>54180764
Surely you acknowledge that this is simply your MODERN mind thinking this?
"In the old days," people bought records without hearing them in full. What's wrong with that? Why can't you or I do that?
>>
>>54180799
>i usually only pirate more popular music tho cuz what the fuck are they gonna miss it.
I'm usually of this mind as of late. Basically, if the artist is on a label or at least making a good living then I don't see the necessity of buying their album.
>>
I pirate everything unless I want a physical copy; meaning I like the band so much I would be willing to give them my money.
>>
>>54180801
Still stands, if I wasn't able to pirate music 5~ years ago I would've never gotten into music and I would not spent hundreds just getting into it.

As a result of piracy, I ended up purchasing 150~ records and going to 20~ live shows that I would've not ended up doing if piracy did not exist.
>>
>>54180787
reported to Interpol, FBI, CIA, and KGB
>>
I don't know. Lot of bands I hear recently don't give a shit about piracy.
>>
>>54180893
>Still stands, if I wasn't able to pirate music 5~ years ago I would've never gotten into music and I would not spent hundreds just getting into it.
True but sales are down overall, indicating that despite supposedly "more people getting into music" that people still don't care about music the same as they did back then...
>>
>>54180893
adding on, If piracy somehow ceased to exist tomorrow, I would end up buying quite a few new releases that I would not initially buy normally.
However, I would not buy new releases by artists I haven't listened to and would probably lose a lot of my interest in music. (I don't want to spend 200$ to find one good album in a sea of mediocrity)
>>
>>54180985
Sales are down because of other things, like Internet (e.g. youtube) and songs becoming the main unit instead of records.
>>
>>54181016
>Sales are down because of other things, like Internet (e.g. youtube)
AKA piracy.
>and songs becoming the main unit instead of records.
Part of it.
>>
>>54181063
accounts like vevo aren't piracy, there's also shit like spotify
>>
>>54181063
Not him but you're forgetting live shows. They have become the biggest money makers to artists these days.
>>
File: mc gusto.jpg (137KB, 448x448px) Image search: [Google]
mc gusto.jpg
137KB, 448x448px
i have stolen a terabyte of music, most of which i will never listen to, and i sleep very sound at night
>>
>>54181082
>accounts like vevo aren't piracy
They are very clearly the only possible response to piracy.
>there's also shit like Spotify
Borderline piracy.
>>54181094
They were back in the day, too.
>>
>>54181133
>response to piracy
They are very clearly an attempt at marketing, youtube is a big part of consumer culture.
>Borderline piracy.
Can't be piracy if it's legal.
>>
>>54181165
>They are very clearly an attempt at marketing, youtube is a big part of consumer culture.
VEVO only exists because people keep uploading songs and albums to YouTube and so the record companies decided to make at least a version where the money to the artists; same as Spotify.
>Can't be piracy if it's legal.
This kind of reasoning is juvenile and anti-music.
Slavery was legal for a time too, you know.
>>
>>54181196
>This kind of reasoning is juvenile and anti-music.
>Slavery was legal for a time too, you know.
That's the point. Prosecuting pirates is a legal thing, just as owning slaves was.
>>
if I didn't know musicians also pirated music, I probably would think twice about it.
>>
even p4k pirates, they publish they're reviews before releases come out
>>
>>54181308
>what are advance copies
come on man
>>
I pirate everything because buying it is not as convenient and I have no problem with pirating because copyright is a fiction.
>>
>>54181299
[in a robot voice] BLEEP BLORP NICE DUBS
>>
I only pirate obscure shit I find on sharethreads or bootlegs. Like some weird foreign 80's band or unofficial live shows.
Other than that, I just buy a physical copy.
>>
Digital is worthless, I don't buy digital.

I buy LPs, but I won't buy files, they mean nothing.
>>
>>54181442
>what are leaks
where do you think they come from? sources like p4k, obviously
>>
I pirate a ton. I don't really justify it. I buy whatever albums I like enough to add to my collection.

I'm broke right now though so I just pirate.
>>
even rich people pirate, and busy rich people are morally superior to the poor lazy scum
so if morally superior people pirate, why shouldn't we, the evil poor scum, pirate too?
>>
>>54181574
This for me aswell. I don't ever buy something unless I care about it enough to want a physical copy... and I'm broke, so I can't exactly impulse buy. And the big three disgust me. So there's that.

And as for movies, I'm not paying for payperview shit or a streaming service with a poor selection like Netflix or Amazon prime. And I don't want my payment going to the royalties of Hollywood. Because they also disgust me.
>>
I pirate pretty much everything and buy vinyls here and there even though I don't have a record player (won't buy digital and collecting CDs isn't something I want to start doing).
I try using Spotify every once in a while but then an article is RTed into my timeline reminding me that the artist I'm listening to doesn't make jack shit from Spotify plays and stop.
>>
As much as I can.

Because with the amount of music i go through it would be pointless to spend all that money. I may download an album and only listen it to for a week

Yes, if i liked their last album and their next album is going to be good or has a good single from it i will buy it.
>>
>>54181539
But you just admitted that THEY don't pirate.
>>
>>54181763
pirating includes both sides and the uploading parties are being chased after more often than downloading ones
>>
>>54180801
Well, shit, 30 years ago we didn't have cell phones, does that mean that I'm only going to use a landline?
>>
I've pirtated Terabytes over the years, and I've also spent thousands on LP's and cassette's usually straight from the artist on bandcamp.

I don't pretend it's something good to pirate, but it's just super easy to get something off what or even the archive than to try and buy it.
>>
>>54180431

Almost all the time.

Broke, can't afford to buy.

Sometimes.
>>
>>54181519
this
>>
File: bacon.jpg (116KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
bacon.jpg
116KB, 1920x1080px
i perpetuate the suffering of sentient beings by eating meat every day

i've got worse things to feel guilty about than stealing music
>>
A lot.

If it only exists in digital format, or is ridiculously hard/expensive to cop an LP of I definitely will pirate it.

I own a couple hundred CD's, records, and tapes but still pirate a lot.
>>
>>54182498
Would you eat it if there was no suffering involved?
>>
>>54180431

I pirate everything I want that isn't on Spotify already, with a few exceptions of artists I actually want to really support.

I pirate because the other option is paying for everything and that would destroy either my wallet or my music library.

I have to really like the musician/band, on a somewhat personal level, for me to buy their work.
>>
>>54181133
>Spotify
>Borderline piracy

Yeah, that's why artists and labels endorse it, and when they don't, Spotify removes it.
>>
>>54181825
This. If you disagree, then you know nothing about pirating.
>>
>>54180787
It's true though. If I told my parents that I wanted to buy an album they'd tell me to fuck off and that I could just download it for free
>>
>>54182604
of course. guilt-free lab grown meat would be awesome
>>
>>54182711
yeah, but there's killing without suffering
guillotine was invented because of humanitarian ideas during 18th century
>>
Because I can, and I usually try to support artists I really like by buying merchandise/physical releases (vinyl or tapes)
>>
>>54182780
Sure the death might be painless. But they suffer in deplorable conditions all of their life.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.