[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: albums you dont understand and other people try to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 175
Thread images: 27

File: earth21.jpg (335KB, 888x900px) Image search: [Google]
earth21.jpg
335KB, 888x900px
ITT: albums you dont understand and other people try to help you understand it
>>
>>54042458
It's basically a tone and distortion experiment, not so much actual music. There's some melody, sure, but the point of the album is to listen to the raw noise and take it in.
TLDR Ambient drone/noise
>>
>>54042458
fall asleep to it
>>
>>54042458
Listen to out loudly, let the wall of sound take over your brain.
>>
on phone so can't attach pic but

>36 Chambers
>>
>>54042932
watch a documentary on ninjas
>>
>>54042932
It's just the pinnacle of gangsta rap. And unlike some older rap, I don't think it sounds super dated. RZA's beats are amazing and the album feels really cohesive with all the kung fu samples
>>
Listen to it outside, in warm months and maybe at night.
>>
>>54042967
>It's just the pinnacle of gangsta rap
except 36 chambers literally isn't "Gangster rap"
>>
>>54042458
you require mental illness

i wish i were joking
>>
>>54042458
just zone out to it
>>
>>54042932
Hugely influential on the development of the NY sound. RZA's grimy production set the stage for Nas, Mobb Deep, Big L, and loads of others. The Wu as a group are the greatest in hip-hop in that any of the 9 could stand out as a great MC on their own, unlike groups like Odd Future where only 2 or 3 guys are talented. Basically one of the most cohesive and influential hip-hop albums ever put together.
TLDR Good shit
>>
>>54042992
fuck my bad. hardcore or East Coast at least. sorry.
>>
trout mask replica
>>
>>54043068
you just have to pay attention to the grooves. Isolate an instrument. There's some killer blues-influenced grooves on there
>>
MBDTF
>>
>>54043130
>ITS A CONCEPT ALBUM BROOOO XDD
>ONLY KANEY WEST MADKES ALBUMS ABOUT FAME AND HIS CAREER
>ITS SO FUCKING DEEP AND HIS BEATS ARE BANGERS MAN LOOOL
fuck that album and fuck everyone who will reply to this post. fucking plebs
>>
>>54043130
Not much to really "get" with that one tbh

It's just your standard hip-hop, everyone loves the production and he has some killer verses but mostly you like it or you don't

>Flood
It sounds amazing when I put it on as background noise how do I enjoy it normally so I can really fucking get into the atmosphere

Same with Dopesmoker
>>
>>54043183
dont bother with sleep.

listen to electric wizard's dopethrone. its much better
>>
>>54042458
Listen to it loud, on vinyl, and do it when you're sleepy and its cold outside
>>
>>54043130
its just pretty good hip hop, its got an overarching theme of over indulgence which is reflected in the maximalist approach to the instrumentation and some ideas about the medias love hate relationship with kanye.

thats it really, not a very hard album to get, its just not nearly as good as everyone says it is
>>
>>54042458
Oh yeah, that'll teach thise patricians! XD understanding their too deep for you albums! Great thread op.
>>
>>54042458
never listen to it again
>>54042932
never listen to it again
>>54043068
never listen to it again
>>54043130
NEVER FUCKING LISTEN TO THIS AGAIN
>>
>>54043130
production is stellar
>>
>>54042982

I remember the first time I listened to this. It was a humid summer's eve, and I was lying on my trampoline, staring at the stars. Fug, I'll never forget it.
>>
>>54043173
it wasn't even a concept a album, are you thinking of yeezus
>>
>>54043354
concept album = overarching theme

same shit. bottom line people who praise it havent listened to that much music and/or have really low standards
>>
>>54043284
The edge is strong
>>
>>54043417
so is ur fathers dick hole
>>
>>54043183
smoke weed
>>
File: tumblr_naj0ddLvel1su17npo2_500.png (383KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_naj0ddLvel1su17npo2_500.png
383KB, 500x500px
>>
>>54043838
you need to be insanely depressed
>>
>>54043904
i am and it sounds like contrived shit
>>
>>54043923
that's because it is, look for matt elliott - drinking songs
>>
>>54043923
thats because it is and anyone who thinks otherwise is also faking depression

good on you for being able to tell, and i hope you feel better anon
>>
>>54043923
your so right. Fuck dan barret and his stupid melodramatic shit music, why the fuck did /mu/ ever like that garbage. FUcking "depressed" idiots
>>
>>54043923
I like it and I don't doubt that Dan Barrett has gone through some shit but it's not as emotional and raw as people make it out to be I think. It's powerful, but not that powerful.

I dunno, just enjoy it for what it is, I guess. Sleeping Heart is great slowcore, Grave Filled With Books is a nice one, Haunting Presence is a fantastic opener.

Maybe try and get more into the dark and haunting side of the atmosphere than the emotional one. That's what I like about the album.
>>
>>54043996
not him but he never said it sounded stupid. im sure he's okay with people enjoying dan barret and HANL but giles corey is a depression album for people who dont have depression (or people who fake having it)
>>
>>54043923
yeah you're kind of right i'm the guy who originally replied and even when i was at my super lowest it didn't really speak to me in that way
>>
>>54043224
I disagree and if you have the time id like to argue with you on the topic by calling into question your sexuality and labeling every response you make a meme
>>
File: Night_and_day_JJ.jpg (37KB, 600x600px)
Night_and_day_JJ.jpg
37KB, 600x600px
>>
>>54044093
yeah i have all day nigga
>>
>>54044091
I have a friend who LOVES Giles Corey like has listened to it for months on end, he has BPD and depression and told me it was the most powerful thing he's ever heard. I listened to it and it's a great album but it didn't click for me in that way.

To me it seems like an album where it all depends on whether or not you can relate to Dan, and if you can then it's the greatest shit ever made and if you can't it's just some slightly contrived gloom folk
>>
>>54044172
protip: he's faking it bro

probably one of those people who fake having a disorder to appear cool and different
>>
File: download (2).jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
7KB, 225x225px
>>54042458
I never liked this as much as other bwooo-core like Sunn; it's mostly about just immersing yourself in the noise. Listen to it loud, and let it put you in a trance like the guy from that comic.
>>54043183
Flood reminds me of Steve Reich a little bit, with its tendency to repeat a simple section over and over and letting it evolve; despite questionable production, Flood II is an amazing psychedelic guitar piece; focus on how the lead guitar plays just the necessary notes to build a theme aroound the chord progressions, nothing flashy or fast. The first part of III is all about the atmosphere those slow arpeggios bring. Can't help you with Dopesmoker, it might really be a "you have to be high" album.
>>54043838
This isn't technically that good of an album; simple songwriting and amateurish production. But there's something about how sincere (if dramatized) the anguish and depression behind it is. Read the book if you don't "get" it, this is a part that a lot of people miss, I think there's a PDF link somewhere in the archive.

Here's mine. I mean, I can at least appreciate most first-wave post-rock even though I'm more of a second-wave man myself, but this just seems so obnoxious and aimless. The samples get on my nerves, the changes in dynamics feel tacked together, and none of the songs seem to really go anywhere. But most people praise it as one of the best post-rock albums, and the fags in the post-rock generals never shut up about it.
>>
>>54042458
remember earth? you know, the planet that started as a molten pile of shit then got hard then got water from the almighty yahweh and then got sea urchins and vitamins?

do you remember it? fucking of course you do because you're living on that shit right now. you probably even ate a vitamin sometime recently godamn.

see that album right there? the one with the big sky and it says earth 2 right on it (special low frequency edition) and also there is a flat field in profile? of course you see it it's there in your post god damn

well the album is the sequel to the planet you remember. yeah that's right. it's the followup to this little rotating globe flying around the cosmos like it doesn't give a shit (because it doesn't). and you know why it's the sequel? fuck if i know but it probably has something to do with pills and akira because akira invented a new universe if you recall and you should because this is a japanese fucking image board about anime

so the point is that you are fucking archaic because you still live on earth 1. this is beyond you. maybe if you take some pills and think about akira blowing up neo tokyo then you can grasp the edges of the earth 2 like it's in the fourth dimension and you're stuck in the third like a piece of meat
>>
>>54043327
literally fuck off
>>
>>54044172
F A K I N G I T
A
K
I
N
G

I
T

stop being his friend, hes obviously a fucking loser
>>
File: gastr.jpg (51KB, 429x429px) Image search: [Google]
gastr.jpg
51KB, 429x429px
>>
>>54044210
8.5/10
>>
>>54043388
>bottom line people who praise it havent listened to that much music and/or have really low standards

Objectively wrong. See most music reviewers.
>>
>>54044210
you do these types of reviews often
>>
File: boris-flood.jpg (305KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
boris-flood.jpg
305KB, 1000x1000px
I love boris and they're one of my favorite bands at the moment, but i just dont get this album. I got over the monotony of Flood 1 but i dont get what this is about? pls help ;-;
>>
>>54044172
for me, (the guy you responded to) as far as "resonating" with me and depression goes (and trust, me, i had it REAL bad) real raw shit like public castration swans, or early no wave sonic youth, industrial, noise, drone, dark ambient, that's for the deepest trenches and when i was in the not as deep stages (i have a weird bipolar hybrid thing) the glow pt. 2, ITAOTS, simple stuff like that would be my go to-s
>>
>>54044287
>See most music reviewers.
kek
>>
>>54044428
Atmospheric as all fucking shit. Some really killer riffs and solos in there, and the doom-ish buildup on Flood 3 is fucking incredible

>>54044198
>>54044240
He's posted about his depression all the way back to mid-2000's on his blog and his music is more or less centered around feelings of oblivion and anger and loneliness. Anyone who would keep it going for that long and to that extent is an exceptionally awful human being

I've always felt like Giles Corey was a little contrived but being depressed doesn't automatically mean you write good lyrics

>>54044430
I can understand all of that, especially Glow pt 2 since it mixes so many emotions onto one album. And Public Castration is fuckin self-hatred the album.
>>
>>
File: Soundtracks for the Blind 9.jpg (90KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Soundtracks for the Blind 9.jpg
90KB, 600x600px
>>
>>54044466
Do you honestly believe the majority of reviewers for major music publications haven't listened to "that much music"? Or do you just have some fucked up definition of "not that much"?
>>
File: cover.jpg (3MB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
3MB, 1500x1500px
>>
>>54044428
Flood 1 starts off as the rain, trickling down from the clouds. It's simple, yet unique. Gradually, Flood 1 becomes more violent, almost like thunder. Flood 2, however, is the rolling sound of the waves crashing on to the shore. The first part of Flood 3 is a melancholical departure from this shore, but sharply turns into electric guitar. I forgot how Flood 4 sounds like, but it's alright.
>>
>>54042458
it's all about the sound, dude
don't listen to it like music, just let yourself get pulled into the tone of the guitar and the depth of the sound. eventually it starts to feel like a physical object almost, like you can feel the sound around you and inside your head.
>>
>>54045798
don't be an ADD faggot and listen to it at full volume in a dark room
>>
>>54044028
he attempted suicide according to his memoir
>>
>>54046230
seeing something live also massively helps. drone live is the shit.
>>
>>54046301
Yeah he's definitely melodramatic but he seems like an alright guy and I wouldn't peg him as someone who would fake depression tbh. That's just an awful thing to do

>>54045747
The feeling of self-hatred compressed into a single recording. It's one of the loudest and angriest albums out there, you really have to build yourself up to it or be in the appropriate mental state for it.

>>54045798
Do it all at once. Alone, in a dark room, with no distractions. It's one of those albums. In order to get the most out of this fucking beast you need to be appropriately focused.

>>54046104
Flood 3 is like the climax and Flood 4 has some good moments but is mostly just the fade-out.

Fuck man, I don't even listen to that much drone music and Flood is a work of art. When the soft vocals come in over the guitar on 3 it's nothing short of beautiful.
>>
File: 9886.jpg (164KB, 319x319px) Image search: [Google]
9886.jpg
164KB, 319x319px
Animal Collective as a whole

I love psychedelic music. I love pop music. I love electronic music. I love psychedelic pop music. There's something I don't understand about putting it all together. My musical tastes line up almost perfectly with a lot of people whose main difference is they love this band I find them unlistenable. Can someone explain it and maybe post a best track?
>>
File: 220px-Forms_of_Paper.jpg (10KB, 220x215px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Forms_of_Paper.jpg
10KB, 220x215px
:^)
>>
>>54046463
i like a lot of psychedelic stuff but the only animal collective i care for is spirits they're gone/spirits they've vanished
if you haven't tried that one, i recommend it instead of the later stuff
>>
>>54046463
The album that did it for me was Strawberry Jam. I mean, every album is weirdly different. All of them click for me, but you gotta find that first one that you love.
>>
>>54042458
>It represents an open setting, wherever you want, and translates it into pure minimalism, allowing you to get lost in the sound and transport yourself to that open area. As the sound surrounds you, you become more and more lost and pick up on little nuances - perhaps of the many characters you meet in this open area. You lay back and listen to the sound of an ever-present drone and become renewed; everything is peaceful in the walls of sound and you relish in finally being able to let go of every single thought.
You become the music and the music becomes you, leaving nothing but a shed shell of your former self - you have reached through to Nirvana and transformed into something beyond the human scope of consciousness.
>>
>>54046463
>I love psychedelic music. I love pop music. I love electronic music. I love psychedelic pop music. There's something I don't understand about putting it all together. My musical tastes line up almost perfectly with a lot of people whose main difference is they love this band I find them unlistenable. Can someone explain it and maybe post a best track?
do this >>54046689
>>
>>54042458
First of all, listen to this shit loud. If you're not into drone or metal It will be really hard to get into this record. They're playing metal riffs slowed down so you can perceive everything the chords have to say, they're evil, they're relaxing, they were made to you to lost yourself. Everytime I listen to this shit I can see myself sitting down in a chair in the middle of a farm drunk as fuck with a guitar and nothing else, I'm close to nature but at the same time I really don't care, I'm tired of living and all I want is to express myself with my fucking loud guitar.
>>
>>54043068
Listen to it again.
Then listen to it once more.
This guy knows whats up: >>54043081

On first glance it seems like a cacaphonous clusterfuck, but its important to remember that it's absolutely intended to sound the way it does - every single note, clashing, atonal, off tempo, or otherwise, was meticulously and deliberately planned out. Once you begin isolating instruments and piecing the compositions back together it starts to make sense, and sound amazing, the learning curve is just insanely high.
>>
File: mtde.jpg (19KB, 280x280px) Image search: [Google]
mtde.jpg
19KB, 280x280px
>>
>>54043183
>Dopesmoker
literally smoke weed
>>
Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion

this is supposed to be 'accessible?' i got a lot more out of Feels
>>
>>54042458

Earth 2 is sincerely the weakest album in their discography.
>>
>>54044428
>>54042458
you have to be in the mood to zone out
>>
>>54045798
just listen to 'the sound'
>>
>>54044205
relisten
>>
If you don't like it that's fine and there is nothing to "get"
>>
>>54050326
get a load of this guy
>>
>>54042458
Listen to it louder
>>
>>54045747
Listen to Young God instead

>>54045798
Listen to Swans are Dead instead
>>
>>54043283
What the fuck are you trying to say?
>>
>>54043173
This is the worst kind of shitposting.
>>
File: [001466].jpg (57KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
[001466].jpg
57KB, 500x500px
>>54042817
>it's not actual music because it doesn't have a melody
>>
>>54043283
Lurk more and learn how to read.
>>
>>54044428
fucking amazing album art
>>
>>54045798
I'm pretty sure it is, but is the album title satirizing Songs for the Deaf?
>>
>>54043224
not bothering with sleep?

god bless you made me laugh

dopesmoker and dopethrone are on par for me but listen to the former stoned as fuck and youll have an epiphany
>>
>>54043923
>>54043970
>>54043977
>>54043996
Fucking this, Dan has all the subtlety of a blunt instrument.
>>
>>54043183
Flood is my personal top pick for Boris albums. That album is perfect IMO.
>>
>>54043283
no idea what you're trying to say. This is actually one of the first threads I've seen on /mu/ with music discussion that talks about the content of albums. Props to OP for a decent thread.

now fuck off cancer.
>>
File: Pet sounds.jpg (53KB, 948x948px) Image search: [Google]
Pet sounds.jpg
53KB, 948x948px
it's just a fat dude crying about his problems. really bad music.
>>
>>54043838
he has an interesting EP under the Giles Corey moniker called Deconstructionist that is more in the vein of ambient / drone with some creepy vocal recordings atop of it.

For me personally, I cannot get into any of the Swans albums prior to Soundtracks for the Blind, and I even struggle with Soundtracks for the Blind. I enjoy about half of it, and struggle with about half of it.
>>
>>54042932
Imagine if the ninja turtles were black and smoked weed all the time
>>
>>54053017
... no.
>>
Any The Who album.
>>
>>54053355
damn bro that makes me really wanna listen to it now!! LOL xD 420 blazie it faggot
>>
File: dopethrone.jpg (42KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
dopethrone.jpg
42KB, 500x500px
sounds like a fucking Deftones' demo tape
>>
File: _AN_CO_FEELS_.jpg (45KB, 251x250px) Image search: [Google]
_AN_CO_FEELS_.jpg
45KB, 251x250px
production is pretty bad

banshee beat and daffy duck are pretty boring
>>
>>54053512
Sometimes better is better than more, so I advise indica and a drive through the mountains.
>>
>>54053280
melodies, harmonies & arrangements. listen to how the melodies from every instrument interacts with each other (complementing, contrasting), especially vocals. listen to how the main melodies 'dances' & progresses. listen to the voices of each instruments

the lyrics are a bit silly sometimes but if you ever been through a romantic relationship you should relate to some of them

also one of the 1st albums to use 8 track. it was inspired by rubber soul & inspired the beatles to do sgt. pepper's

hope you enjoy it :-)
>>
>>54053512
better than deftones

try smoking weed first if you REALLY can't appreciate it sober. It's called stoner metal for a reason
>>
>>54053595
see>>54053470
>>
>>54053595
>>54053595
>try smoking weed first if you REALLY can't appreciate it sober. It's called stoner metal for a reason
my problem is just with this album, I'm already into stoner.It's called stoner metal cause some retard named it so
>>
>>54053624
haha xD nice shitpost. what did you expect. musicians do that, and music is inspired by it.

>anyone who ever smokes weed has autism

good post
>>
>>54053647
>anyone who ever smokes weed has autism
nice projection anon, i never said that nor did i imply it
>>
>>54053640
hmm.... I dont know it sounds amazing to me. Songs like Funeralopolis and Dopethrone are amazing

maybe it's just not for you
>>
>>54044205
>I'm more of a second-wave man myself
That explains a lot. You just have shit taste.
>>
>>54053665
>Funeralopolis
how different it sounds from Dopethrone? I think the vocals on dopethrone weren't necessary at all, and it might have reflected on my overall opinion on the album
>>
>>54053640
damn, I love stoner and this is easily one of my favorites
maybe listen to it in a month or two whilst stoned
>>
>>54053647
Get out
>>
>>54053470
>listening to music about weed made by people who smoke weed for people who smoke weed
>not being high as fuck
>>
File: Slint_-_Spiderland.jpg (66KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Slint_-_Spiderland.jpg
66KB, 300x300px
I love post-rock and math-rock but I don't get the hype around this album.
>>
>>54044428

Flood 3's crescendo is beautiful, seeing it live almost made me cry.
>>
how are there so many plebs in this thread

>>54054227
i don't know what you want us to tell you. It's pretty straight forward math rock with nice vocals sometimes
>>
>>54054227
>LITERALLY BEING THIS FUCKING PLEB
GET THE FUCK OFF MY BOARD YOU FUCKING NORMIE
>>
>>54054227
What are your favourite post-rock and math rock albums?
>>
>>54049416
>learning curve
oh boy, I never thought someone would actually say that relating to listening to music. and of course it's someone on /mu/
>>
You don't have to like them, but if you can't appreciate or understand the appeal of any of the albums posted ITT, you need to get the fuck off this board.
>>
>>54054317

Battles - Mirrored
Tortoise - TNT
Drive Like Jehu - Yank Crime
Polvo - Today's Active Lifestyles
Don Cab - American Don
Toe - The Book About A Really Long Album Title I Can't Remember
Shellac - At Action Park
Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden
Mogwai - Young Team
ASIWFYA - Gangs
>>
>>54053017
SFTB came out like 8 years before SFTD you idiot
>>
>>54054168
no, you
>>
File: 1423642322528.jpg (148KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1423642322528.jpg
148KB, 500x500px
sorry don't have actual cover. but am i supposed to listen to this as music? or am i supposed to just fall asleep to it/ use it as background noise
>>
>>54054547
generally you're supposed to listen to everything as music, unless explicitly stated otherwise

using something as background noise is the plebbest thing you can do
>>
>>54054560
I remember hearing brian eno say that ambient isn't supposed to be listened to in the same way as music. Coming from the guy who basically coined ambient music. So, take that
>>
>>54044428

Boris' early albums seem to be more art based than music based, sure they can be musical, but the atmosphere seems to be there primary concern.

It's shame they're doing mainstream metal in an attempt to appeal to their almost non existent Japanese following, they had a really special sound.
>>
>>
>>54053512

It's just fucking heavy, I get a knot in my chest when Dopethrone finally comes on.

I just jam with it I guess.
>>
>>54054696
Eno described his ambient music as "supporting any level of attention". But that doesn't necessarily apply to everyone's ambient music.

Note that I said "unless explicitly stated otherwise".
>>
>>54054696
Eno's ambient stuff is meant to be ignorable AND interesting (should you choose to pay attention). I don't really see post rock like GYBE as the same thing.

Then again, the person you responded to used thinks that "pleb" carries any specific connotation, so you are already arguing with an idiot. Best to just move on and not engage those folks.
>>
>>54054711
>It's shame they're doing mainstream metal in an attempt to appeal to their almost non existent Japanese following, they had a really special sound.

what are you even talking about...
>>
>>54042817
*cringe*
>>
>>54044113
Stepping Out is fucking great. I actually haven't listened to the rest tho.
>>
>>54054756

Have you listened to New Album or Noise?
>>
Sounds like a load of garbage to me, what am I missing?
>>
>>54054934

Boris have experimented with so many genres I couldn't count, they're not selling out at all.
>>
>>54054962
the only good tracks on the album are the first one and "the future"

the rest is edgy as fuck shit that wouldve been more bearable without the vocals
>>
File: 2568102.jpg (28KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
2568102.jpg
28KB, 600x600px
Please enlighten me!
>>
File: mfw gif.gif (274KB, 400x232px) Image search: [Google]
mfw gif.gif
274KB, 400x232px
>>54054985
>the only good tracks on the album are the first one and "the future"
>"The future"
>Picking those two tracks as the best

No, sir. You are the one who is being edgy.
>>
>>54054982

I didn't say they were selling out, they're trying to appeal more to Japanese fans, and as a general rule they're becoming less experimental
>>
>>54053540
>Banshee Beat
>boring
You're a faggot with no attention span. Shit is gripping.
>>
>>54054999
He is spot on with the first track though.

nice trips
>>
>>54054998
>not liking motorik
>>
>>54043183
>Flood
It's supposed to simulate a flood
>>
>>54054999
>le shitty lo fi snare drum with edgy vocal kill every one kek :PPPP
>hum earth mother to me anon xDDDD
fuck off dan barret is fake depression-core (i.e. for people who fake having depression for attention)

listen to matt elliot's drinking songs you pussy whipped bitch ass nigga man. its for real patrician depressed bros :D
>>
>>54054227
Read the 33 1/3 book about this album.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/225352854/Slint-s-Spiderland-33-1-3#scribd here it is for free.
I didn't like it at first but this cleared up a lot of the background of the band. I really love this album
>>
>>54055084
come back when you can discuss music without using memes and buzzwords
>>
>>54055080
except they've stated it's not
>>
>>54055195
When?
>>
>>54054998
Just let those repetitive rhythms take you away, man
>>
The Residents. I've listened to Meet the Residents and Not Available
>>
>>54055265
http://thequietus.com/articles/15561-boris-interview

"The word for 'flood' in Japanese is kōzui [kor-zoo-ee]. The whole piece is basically sung for the landscape after the 'flood', it's a search for the landscape as it was before, still somewhere under the water."
>>
>>54055275
That doesn't mean that they're not trying to simulate a flood through sounds. He says that the piece is sung for the landscape after the flood, but it's a search for the landscape as it was before. If they wanted to bring the sound of how it was before from the perspective of post-flood days, it's very possible that it's been their intention to simulate what happened in-between.
>>
>>54055480
Meant to quote this >>54055278
>>
>>54055084
looks like you want to meme instead of having a serious discussion. that's unfortunate.
>>
>>54054227
mama mia
>>
>>54055143
Very interesting
Considering only about 30% of my screen is available for actual reading, do you happen to have a download link for it?

im not going to bother with any facebook shit
>>
File: yank-crime-by-drive-like-jehu.jpg (983KB, 1413x1396px) Image search: [Google]
yank-crime-by-drive-like-jehu.jpg
983KB, 1413x1396px
sounds like regualr ass noise rock
>>
File: Daniel_Johnston-Hi_How_Are_You.jpg (26KB, 220x340px) Image search: [Google]
Daniel_Johnston-Hi_How_Are_You.jpg
26KB, 220x340px
>>
>>54046463
blink-182 has better instrumentation and song structure.
Fact.
>>
>>54056054
You have to refer to yourself as a 'sensitive soul' and be annoying as fuck to like it.
>>
File: what.jpg (49KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
49KB, 500x500px
>>54056054
watch the devil and daniel johnston
>>
>>54055930
gimme a minute i'll upload to mega
>>
>>54056140
no one gets twin infinitives anon. literally no one in the history of /mu/'s existence has been able to defend the album

scaruffi's reasons for liking it so much amount to "its satire of pretentious music"
>>
>>54055930
https://mega.co.nz/#!tV5DQYDB!voEvo1sYMbqG7kMRNzDc4Mz3DxhMmoj0kNEgvchUR0Y
>>
>>54056054
It's not so much about the music as it is the person.

Also his other albums are better.
>>
>>54045798
I love swans, but this album is just hard to take in. I like Volcano, but other than that, i can't see it.
>>
>>54046463
Specifically merriwether post pavilion? You probably wouldn't think much of it without the context around the album. It's like they took everything good about their music and threw out everything abrasive in the most perfect way possible. They bridged the gap between two audiences with the perfect synergy of pop appeal and weird psych sounds. It couldn't have also been released at a better time. 2009 was when music blogs really started to take off and the album is partially responsible for it because of its mainstream appeal. As an album it's great but you sort of have to listen to it with a 2009 perspective to really appreciate it.
>>
>>54056171
Thank you!
>>
>>54054547
This is definitely music, it's not really that inaccessible except for the lengths of the songs themselves, but thats irrelevenat since yo are supposed to listen to the full album at all times anyways
>>
>>54057712
>since yo are supposed to listen to the full album at all times anyways
citation
Thread posts: 175
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.