[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/prog/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 13

Gentle Giant Is Fantastic edition

Discussion question: what's the best band of the big six (King Crimson, Genesis, Yes, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd and Emerson Lake and Palmer)?

What have yall been listening to?
>>
File: Arbeit+macht+Frei.jpg (41KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Arbeit+macht+Frei.jpg
41KB, 500x500px
>>53989889
Been listening to this sexy ass thing.
>>
Of the six I have to say Yes is the best but all are so amazing it's a tough choice. Gentle Giant is also incredible OP
>>
File: Folder.jpg (201KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Folder.jpg
201KB, 500x500px
Just put this on.
>>
>>53990020
Killer shit, anon.
>>
>>53989889
Crimson
Floyd
Genesis
Tull
Yes (although they've grown on me a bit)

~power gap~

ELP
>>
>>53989889
King Crimson > Jethro Tull > Yes > Pink Floyd > Genisis > ELP

They're all pretty damn high quality though. I'm pretty fond of ELP.
>>
>>53990020
fuck yea
Also, I'd say King Crimson. The polyrhythmic jumble that they've been going on in the 80s is crazy
>>
King Crimson > Genesis > Yes > Jethro Tull > Pink Floyd > ELP

I like all of em though
>>
Order of enjoyment of big english prog bands:

King Crimson
Henry Cow
Van Der Graaf Generator
Gentle Giant
Yes
Jethro Tull
Pink Floyd
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Genesis

They all have at least one track I enjoy thoroughly though.
>>
>>53990042
Thanks and it is pretty great so far.
Anyway for OP:
Yes>KC>Pink Floyd>Genesis>Jethro Tull>ELP
That's just in terms of personal enjoyment though..
>>
>>53989889
>be me 2 years ago listening to GG's discog in order for the first time
>Just spent past 2 weeks or so listening to and loving Playing the Fool
>one of the best live albums I'd ever heard at the time and was thinking they were really back on track after the somewhat shaky Interview
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFUjjuhOvHE
>>
>>53989889
Tull > King Crimson > Yes >>>>> Genesis > ELP >>> Pink Floyd
>>
King Crimson > Yes > Jethro Tull > Genesis >>> ELP >>>>>>> Pink Floyd
>>
>>53990020
Fuck yes Anglagard is great
>>
File: 115233753.jpg (272KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
115233753.jpg
272KB, 1024x1024px
>>53989889
Crimson > Floyd > Tull > Yes >Genesis > ELP

Anyway I've been listening to Norwegian band Airbag, pretty good modern prog.
>>
>>53990917
Forgot link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObS_DB27Un0
>>
anyone /progg/ in here?
tell me if there's something i need to add/remove from this chart

>>53989889
best to worst
i grew up to jethro tull so i might be slightly biased

jethro tull
king crimson
yes
genesis
pink floyd
emerson, lake and palmer
>>
>>53990187
kc = pf = jt > yes > elp = genesis

my preference
>>
>>53989889
Crimson = Tull > Yes > Floyd > ELP > Genesis
>>
>>53989889
King Crimson> Yes> Floyd=ELP>Jethro Tull=Genesis
nothing against tull or genesis, just never really got into them.
>>
File: 1400332199707.jpg (10KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1400332199707.jpg
10KB, 200x200px
>>53990567
>>53990819
>>53991737
>>53991676
>ELP above anything
>>
>>53991780
hey man, i fucking love cheesy keyboards, and greg lake is a pretty great vocalist. they started to suck after brain salad though
>>
>>53991780
Sorry mate, but I just love the way ELP plays off each other, and Genesis really just doesn't do anything for me.
>>
>>53991780
ELP definitely isn't good but I'd take their mindless wank over boring ass Pink Floyd any day
>>
>>53989889
Henry Cow is better than all mentioned
>>
>>53992549
lmao no
>>
>>53992549
I mean, they're more experimental. But I just listed the objective big six. It's not a matter of quality, it's just the biggest bands in the genre. You name dropping other bands doesn't change that.
>>
>>53989889
>>53989889
Among all 7 there, GG blew my mind the most when I first listened to it, but hasn't stood the test of time so well.

Of the big 6, KC is my favorite. I could listen to them just about every day. Especially mid-70s and 80s albums.

Yes and Genesis are a close second.

Floyd 4th.

ELP has its moments.

Gotta say Tull is last for me.

Like another poster, if I'm allowed to include vdGG, they're tied for first. Hammill is a genius lyricist, and his voice can knock down buildings.

And for the guy posting Area, Crac! is fantastic. Speaking of world-ending voices, oh my god....
>>
>>53989889
Does anyone here like neo-prog? (Marillion, IQ, Pendragon)? I mostly see people hating on these bands although I don't understand why.
>>
>>53993625
I do like Marillion. Don't know many of the other biggies of that era. Grendel (from their B-sides album) is a nice nod to Supper's Ready, and is pretty fun.
>>
>>53993509
What Van Der Graaf Generator album would recommend? Also, any specific reason why Tull is last?
>>
>>53993509
>GG blew my mind the most when I first listened to it, but hasn't stood the test of time so well.
I know this feel too well. I still think of them with kindness but man, they used to be my favourite band.
>>
>>53993731
H to He, Godbluff and Pawn hearts are the generally reccomended ones.
>>
File: angel's egg.jpg (190KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
angel's egg.jpg
190KB, 1600x1600px
easily my favorite in the trilogy.
>>
File: contemplation.png (9KB, 470x454px) Image search: [Google]
contemplation.png
9KB, 470x454px
Is this the greatest prog performance ever captured on film?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WSulenOUb0
>>
>>53994198
No, its certainly any live performance with Peter of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M58wE8GTGp4
>>
Oh great, was almost considering making my own thread
Where do I go from Tago Mago? (shitty internet won't let me upload the pic) Halleluwah was my favorite and Paperhouse the second
>>
>>53994828
id say just check out another Can album. Namely, Ege Bamyasi. It's pretty groovy
>>
>>53995010
Thanks, will do
(Oh fuck, thanks god the tracks are shorter)
>>
>>53995057
Yeah, Tago Mago is their most intimidating and inaccessible of their classic era, so Ege Bamyasi and Future Days should be easier to digest.
>>
>tfw I've listened to hundreds of prog albums and it's one of my favorite genres
>none of these "Big Six" have ever really wowed me
Is there something wrong with me?

I've heard it ELP's first album, it was pretty good; Pink Floyd had three great albums but a bunch of mediocre ones; Jethro Tull, I've only heard their first two but they were two of the worst albums I've ever heard so now I avoid them like the plague; never heard a Yes album; heard one Genesis album and it seemed alright but need to hear one of their 'canon' albums yet; heard the first six or so King Crimson albums and after the first one it all felt so basic, I love (No Pussyfooting) though
>>
>>53995057
Yeah, you'll love Ege Bamyasi, it's their sell-out album where they specifically went for a watered-down pop-friendly sound
>>
>>53995108
>never heard a Yes album
Since you are prog-initiated start with Close to the Edge. I swear to god that the title track is the pinnacle of anglo/symphonic prog.
If you like it, go to The Yes Album, and if you are still there after it, Fragile
>>
>>53995135
Welp, this disappoints me.
Tago Mago was challenging, but in a good way (is there a bad one?)
>>
>>53995135
Coming from a guy who's currently drunk and does not know Can's history all that much, I've always viewed Future Days as the full blown "sell out" album of the 3 major hits. To me it's definitely the most accessible.
>>
>>53995280
hes joking, its not poppy
>>
>>53995238
My fear with Yes is that they are hyped so much on this board (or at least in the years I've been here) and I'm worried they will be a huge disappointment like a lot of the other prog that gets called the best around here (such as Dark Side of the Moon).

In general I don't listen to a lot of the big names in mainstream but rather all the subgenres. That said, I did recently listen to a Camel album and I was expecting the worst but actually found myself pleasantly surprised. Also checked out some Gentle Giant (Acquiring the Taste) and while I thought Side A was bland, Side B was pretty good.
>>
>>53995108
Listen to Foxtrot by Genesis and Close to the Edge by Yes
>>
>>53995108
What are your favorite prog bands?
>>
>>53995456
Next you're going to tell me Faust wasn't a pop band.

>>53995280
Don't be disappointed, a lot of people love the watered-down nature, it's the favorite of a lot of people.

>>53995431
Historically it's the album they made after they got a Top 10 single (which is included on the album). You think Future Days is the most accessible because like a true pleb you confuse ambience for accessibility. You don't understand the nature of pop music.
>>
>>53995135
Can didn't start to sell out until Soon Over Babaluma, and even that album has a distinct sound.
Ege Bamyasi isn't that much more accessible, although it does have Can's most commercially successful song on it.
>>
>>53989889
King Crimson is the greatest. Their string of albums up to Discipline is pretty flawless.
>>
>>53995458
I don't think you are going to be disappointed. Also, I don't see Yes recommended a lot here. It's really not that much of a great band, but I love that record
>>
>>53995558
And then Discipline is fully flawless.
>>
>>53995458
Start with Fragile. If you enjoy it move on to Close to the Edge. After that go back to the Yes Album. After that I would say to either stop or listen to whatever. Fragile, Close to the Edge, and the Yes Album are the must listens.
>>
>>53995578
Of course. I was implying that Discipline was included. There's just something about Fripp, its crazy.
>>
>>53995488
You know, like a lot of the classics: Faust, The Mothers of Invention, Pärson Sound/International Harvester, Amon Düül, Amon Düül II, Family, Annexus Quam, Catherine Ribeiro + Alpes, Can, Area, Hero, Moolah, Horrific Child, Art Zoyd, Univers Zero, Shub-Niggurath, Skeleton Crew, etc.

And of course I love a lot of stuff that is prog-like, but not progressive rock itself.
>>
>>53995560
It's not that I see Yes recommended all the time, it's more that when I see that album come up, everyone who does comment on it calls it the greatest album of all time. Those are the sorts of things that stick with me. It's not seeing an album get posted a lot, it's seeing it being loved by everyone who talks about it.
>>
Does anyone have a flowchart or something similar for Prog Rock?
>>
>>53995742
I really like how diverse the prog community on /mu/ is. Some people prefer krautrock, theres people that are more for avantprog, and theres people like me that just like good ol anglo prog. Of course I listen to albums that arent traditional anglo prog, but Im glad we all have different prog genres were firmly rooted in.
>>
>>53989889

I really couldn't choose a favorite, I like a lot of albums from pretty much all of them. A band I would suggest that I don't see too often is Hostsonaten, basically modern mostly instrumental italian prog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drhlb5EneO4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0GeE97WtnA
>>
>>53995831
Plus a small group that listens to modern prog
Even though most popular modern prog bands are prog metal
>>
File: cover_2452173182009[1].jpg (22KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
cover_2452173182009[1].jpg
22KB, 300x300px
>>53995966

One of my favorite hidden gems though would have to be Bacamarte
>>
>>53995517
How can you refute that Future Days is the most accessible instead of Ege Bamyasi when there's tracks like fucking Soup? Future Days is consistently more accessible.
>>
>>53996005
You know, stuff like Porcupine Tree, Riverside, Gazpacho, Anathema, Oceansize, Sylvan, Spock's Beard, Amplifier, Karnivool, Beardfish and
Airbag
>>
>>53995458
Honestly, as someone who REALLY started to get into prog with Yes, they're a good starting point. It's long overdue for you to listen to them. I'd recommend, if anything, start with The Yes Album. It's very nice but nothing mind blowing. Then Fragile to CTTE.

Personally Close to the Edge is my favorite and the order I provided is like 8/10 to a 9/10 to a 10/10.

As for Gentle Giant, check out their self titled, Octopus, and The Power and the Glory. I haven't ventured much farther than that when it comes to them, but those are all terrific.

Camel I'd say only has two albums I don't get tired of (Mirage/Moonmadness), but the snow goose is also pretty good. I've gotten pretty tired of them, but Mirage is still fucking 10/10
>>
>>53993762

Still Life is also really good. Pretty much H to He through Still Life are amazing listens. The Least we can do is Wave to Each Other is good too, although I don't think it reaches the same heights as the other 4.
>>
Anyone else not really get into Van der graff generator? Maybe I need to give them another go but they didn't seem to offer anything different to me. Then again I really like symphonic prog, lots of mellotron, shit like that.
>>
File: Felona_e_Sorona.jpg (33KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Felona_e_Sorona.jpg
33KB, 300x300px
Why is italian prog so good?
>>
>>53996469

They can be a little harder to get into than some other bands, Hammil's voice might not be for everyone, the music is generally darker than most symphonic bands.
>>
>>53996469
>>53996524

If you haven't I would give Pawn Hearts a shot, especially Plague of Lighthouse Keepers. Godbluff is also great, but is a bit different from Pawn Hearts, has more of a raw, darker feeling to it.
>>
>>53996524
Maybe it just hasn't clicked with me yet. One of my favorite prog acts was Gabriel era Genesis, so voice shouldn't be TOO hard to get over.

>>53996556
I'll have to. I downloaded their whole discography last year and just jumped in, probably just overwhelmed myself or something. I believe I started with Godbluff
>>
>>53996587

Yeah I'm not 100% sure if Godbluff would be the best starting album, don't get me wrong I think it's fantastic, but it's a bit different from their previous releases. Pawn Hearts is amazing, Plague of Lighthouse Keepers being one of my favorite songs of all time, and H to He is really good too.
>>
File: 1374620186mzd.jpg (61KB, 500x327px) Image search: [Google]
1374620186mzd.jpg
61KB, 500x327px
>>53989889

Gentle Giant were very talented, but too damn goofy for me to really like their music. They were what Phish wanted to be. And I hate Phish.

That said, this is a pretty good showcase of their talent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM-yGcpaY_4
>>
For all of you who like Genesis, you really need to see The Musical Box if they come to your town. Literally the best live show I've been to.

They performed Selling England by the Pound, plus a few other favorites (Watcher of the Skies, Supper's Ready, The Knife, The Musical Box), costumes and all. Every detail from the original shows fucking nailed. I've seen Steve Hackett's Genesis Revisited tour as well, and while that dude sounds KINDA like Gabriel, this dude sounds like fucking exact. I hate the idea of cover bands in general but they exceeded my astronomical expectations.
>>
>>53996710

Man I love that live DVD of them

>The vocal parts of On Reflection
>>
File: image.jpg (162KB, 537x537px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
162KB, 537x537px
What'd you guys think of this? I thought it was generic but enjoyed the dude's vocal quality and there were some pretty neat guitar fills
>>
>>53996742
I saw them do the Foxtrot concert a few days ago. Kinda wish I saw the Selling England tour, but whatever. Fucking amazing. It was like going back in time to see Genesis play live in the early 70s. The dude seriously sounds EXACTLY like Peter, and he does all the costumes and stories too. They treat it more like a retelling of a play rather than a cover band.
>>
>>53996793

I downloaded it, but haven't listened to it yet, been too listening to Wilson's new album too much.
>>
I really found Godbluff kinda boring/generic.
I think it's because I've already listened to too much better anglo-prog
>>
>>53996804
Yeah I feel you on the Foxtrot part, I'd kinda feel ripped off myself, considering my two favorite tracks from that album are Watcher of the Skies and Supper's Ready, which they pretty much always play regardless of which album they're performing. As much as I'd love to hear Get Em Out by Friday I'd much rather do with shit like the battle of epping forest.

I really fucking hope they tour the lamb lies down on broadway again, I would have loved to see that.
>>
>>53996833
Is it any good? I've only listened to Wilson's two newest (not including the one that was just released) albums and I really really enjoyed The Raven that Refused to Sing
>>
>>53996876
Yeah when I saw that theyd play Watcher of the Skies and Suppers Ready on the Selling England tour anyway, Id already seen the concert. But oh well, it was well worth it just to see Suppers Ready. And yeah, a Lamb tour would kick ass
>>
>>53996919
Did they play The Musical Box during the Foxtrot show? I hope they did for your sake, fuck it was good. The part with the microphone light was so kick ass
>>
What about Zappa, guys?
>>
>>53996897

I personally enjoyed it a lot, it's different from Raven, still proggy, but it has a more modern feel to it, where Raven was kind of a letter to 70s prog.
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.