[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/prod/ - music production general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 216
Thread images: 23

File: tumblr_myuijmAoeR1r6tjvjo1_500.jpg (28KB, 500x312px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_myuijmAoeR1r6tjvjo1_500.jpg
28KB, 500x312px
>if you ain't redlining you ain't headlining edition

Post the tracks you're working on, discuss general music composition. Learn whether rappers make more money than EDM artists and how to use the arrangement view in Ableton Live.

Remember to use:
>clyp.it for WiPs
>soundcloud for finished tracks and getting called a todger dodger for not going to soundcloud threads

We're making an album! (or trying to).
Check the next post for info.

Stuff:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff:
http://pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - looking for contributors (wink, wink)
http://mu-sic-production.wikia.com/wiki//mu/sic_Production_Wiki
>>
File: 1423197195884.jpg (231KB, 885x886px) Image search: [Google]
1423197195884.jpg
231KB, 885x886px
>>53913299
Last thread: >>53889581

We're making an album! (or trying to).
How to join:
>Take a good look at this picture
>Be inspired by it
>that's it
Anything goes, feel free to find anons to collab and have fun with in any way you want. Or just work solo.
We're doing this for fun.
>>
https://clyp.it/mih5bsqn

How can I make this better?
>>
I've been using Cubase Elements 7 for a while now ( Got it for free from buying an Audio interface)
Is there any reason or tools I didn't use so far which could make me switch to another program or is it fine?
>>
>>53913516
>https://clyp.it/mih5bsqn
different samples for the hats or add reverb idk
>>
>>53913551
Please don't use soundcloud here. I'll be happy to listen and give feedback if you use clyp.it.
>>
>>53913576
alright, thanks
>>
>>53913538
Add reverb to what? The whole track is practically swimming.
>>
>>53913551
No, you cannot post soundcloud here.
Show us your music, not your name.
>>
>>53913576
>>53913596
Thanks for telling me

Here it is
https://clyp.it/ycad0f2f
>>
>>53913631
Nice track. How many hours did you spend on it?
>>
>>53913691
Not a lot, I think I spent about 7 or 8 hours on it total. Might spend some more on it though.

Thanks for liking it!
>>
>>53913596
>Show us your music, not your name.
you seem pretty satisfied with your snappy new catchphrase, but we have regulars with names/trips
>>
sup

https://clyp.it/g10sqtpm
>>
>>53913952
>trying to start shit this blatantly
let's take outside.
of the thread.
preferably to an SC general thread.
>>
>>53913952
go be salty somewhere else, you always try to derail the thread
>>
>>53913998
>>53914009
i derail nothing, people choose to respond to everything i say while expecting me to respond to nothing they say or else i'm "shitposting"

seriously though, how do names/trips fit into your whole "it's about teh music mann, no egoz" line of reasoning?
>>
>>53907596
hey, man. hope you're still around to read this.

I'm the guy that commented on the bitcruahing being too strong, having said that, I'm glad you kept it cus you made it sound just right. It gives the track a bit of a chiptuney feel to it that isnt usually seen at all in this genre so you're kinda trailblazing here, nice shit.

I don't know much about mixing yet but it seems to be good. Everything has its own stage in the mix and nothing seems to overlap itself or be muddy except of course when the bitcruahing happens but that's normal. Nice job :D
>>
>>53914049
here's your reply
>>
>>53913631
This is sounding really great, I wouldn't change a thing. Can you tell me more about the bass (signal chain, etc)?
>>
>>53914079
"shitposter":asking real question
"legitimate" poster: leeeeave, u salty???, here's your reply xD, etc
>>
don't fucking start derailing my /prod/, you better secure that shit.

>>53913631

dig the drum work, mix needs EQing

>>53913959
Lovely vibe. Nice sid style synths and clean piano, what's not to like? Everybody loves a snappy 808 snare but take it easy on the high end, makes it sound too digital. I feel like there should be more meat in the low-mid to mid frequencies, are you applying disco smile EQ?
>>
>>53914065
bitcrushing*. Wow I mistyped it twice in that post.
>>
>>53914106
Noted, thank you! There is no disco smile EQ I just don't know how to write a bass line I like :(
>>
>>53913959
>https://clyp.it/g10sqtpm
I'd do that bass line on 8ths rather than 16ths and put lots of reverb on the strings.
>>
>>53913631
not bad, could use some tightening up, more polished EQ. also this is subjective but you totally lost me at the supersaw. felt really out of place imo. but i also dunno the context of your other work.
>>
>>53913516
Any opinions? Please?
>>
>>53913527
Its fine if you feel very comfortable in it. If you feel like you're missing out on what other daws can offer then feel free to demo them as 99% of DAWs have demos you can try for free. If you're using cubase I think might feel comfy in ableton so try that. FL has the pattern thing which is pretty unique and Renoise is a tracker which is something that makes it unique. Pro Tools is shit so don't bother and maybe try Reason cus playing around with the synths I it is not only a great way to find a good lead you like and a great way to learn how synths work but also fun as fuck.

Those are pretty much the only ones I find worth trying but you can also try MuLab (pretty good), Sonar (shit), SunVox (pretty good tracker), MixCraft (rather good), Magix Music Maker (good), Sony ACID (never used it) and OpenMPT (best free, open source tracker).

Different people will tell you different shit but don't let anyone tell you FL isn't a kiddie DAW... lmao I'm kidding just try them fam it's free to do so. You can always pirate the one you like most so you can get good in it until you feel sure enough about buying it.
>>
I know this is a very open question, but any tips on producing deep house / garage?

How do I keep it interesting? How do I make it flow better?
>>
>>53914286
>>53913516
>https://clyp.it/mih5bsqn

first of all bass is cool and you managed to get decent stereo width out of it all. I understand you're new at this and it's a decent effort but everybody gets the same treatment, take this with the best intentions

that horn sample thing is very dry and resonant in the upper mids, and with that completely unchanging vibrato, it's not just cheesy, it's quite unpleasing to listen to. you can hide it with some reverb perhaps but I would probably look for a different source

you succeeded in getting the drum sound of the 80's, but I would probably cut a big part of the midrange of that reverb and take it easy on the bass drum reverb. drums are all getting buried behind the instruments and could use some EQ boost and sidechaining. The hihats are too dry and could use velocity changes and different pitches. Snare is deeply buried behind the entire mix.

You got a cool squidgy tone out of that main lead because of the phaser but it doesn't have much of a place in the mix because of its dryness - there's no real coherence between reverb decisions across instruments. second arp you introduce has the same problem. synths are cool and all but you need to balance things out in the mix.

compositionally I would ditch the fifth transposition, it sounds uninspired and cheesy, try to come up with some alternate melody lines instead and switch things up a bit
>>
Should I be scared to use presets? If so where do you guys get your sounds from?
>>
>>53914720
>Should I be scared to use presets?
No, but of becoming dependent.

>If so where do you guys get your sounds from?
You can make them, sound design is a big part of electronic music.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQ04PwFvui1BCUAE9wxmOqHE51mrDv8Ui

In 3 hours you'll understand subtractive synthesis and a little FM. Have fun!
>>
>>53914754
Thanks
>>
>>53914720

there's nothing to be scared of, they can be useful to figure out the nuts and bolts of new synths, but there's just no point to using other peoples programmed sounds, I hope they aren't making any other decisions in your music?

sometimes the presets are really misleading, ever seen the fm8 ones? they are balls compared to what you can come up with in 5 minutes yourself

most synths works the same basic principles (oscillator -> filter -> fx) and once you figure that out you can make anything you want, it's a huge part to making your signature sound and part of what makes it all so fun
>>
>>53914720
I think its good to have a specific sound in mind before browsing through presets.
That being said, these synth sample packs are fucking awesome and I can't help but not use them.
http://awolfe.home.xs4all.nl/samples.html
>>
>>53914294
Alright, thanks for your answer.
>>
>>53914799
>>53914838
Thanks for the info
>>
https://clyp.it/10f20cal

what do you guys think of this

going for a game music vibe, so it's sort of repetitive atm
>>
>>53914259
Yes, it's very much out of place. I really liked it when I made it (and I still kinda do), but almost everyone online have critiqued it so I'm starting to agree with y'all lol
>>
>>53914720

When you want people to take you seriously: Yes. Don't let that hold you back from making songs before you're ready to make your own though. Practice your sound design constantly. There's no integrity gained by using other people's synths. If you're using your own, it's a pretty big point of credibility even if they sound like shit. Once your synths get good enough to be interesting and fill a spectrum nicely, start using them exclusively. There are big DJs who use presets, but they get shit on by the people who realize it.

One thing I did to learn / build my library was recreate my favorite presets from memory. Look at the synth, what oscilators, filters and effects it's using. Figure the core of those things you like about it. Make a new synth using those building blocks, tweak everything else. Also do this with "how to make this synth" discussions and videos.
>>
>>53915024
>If you're using your own, it's a pretty big point of credibility even if they sound like shit.
what? lol
>>
>>53915624

he's right
>>
Any ideas how to make the lead starting at 0:16?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEg39B72kBM
>>
People say that analog synths have a unique warmness in them. But does it work the other way around? Do digital synths have something special in their sound that analog stuff can't reproduce?
>>
>>53915730

besides the fact that it's unreliable for keeping yourself sane due to maintenance tuning problems, analog can't do FM, and there's only one fully polyphonic analog (korg ps3300) that could do microtuning

tons of unique quirks in various 90s stuff, certain sound to a lot of samplers from that era. unique timing and grooves to certain drum machines and sequencers. lots of cheap early digital synths have a great unique character

with software you get the flexibility mostly, and it doesn't break on you in the middle of a track
>>
>>53915868
> analog can't do FM
good to know because FM is probably my favorite thing in sound design and now I have no reason to buy an analog synth
>>
File: homepage_large.51389443[1].jpg (103KB, 319x319px) Image search: [Google]
homepage_large.51389443[1].jpg
103KB, 319x319px
How do I get my drums to sound like the ones on Secant? Is it just a fuckton of compression?
>>
>>53915988

Layering, compression, reverb
>>
>>53916036
I think if I put some reverb on it and then compressed it heavily with lots of bass I could get something akin to it, thanks.
>>
>>53915988

not that hard compressed, pretty sure there's tube distortion, tape saturation and perhaps other outboard gear involved combined with lo fi recording techniques
>>
>>53916128
>tape saturation
I thought that too but I wasn't too sure. I downloaded a ton of tape saturation vstis so I'll see what I can do with them.
>>
How would you go about making that sound on every 4th beat in this tune?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUC2b-OSZ00
>>
>>53915658
no, he isn't, he's actually exemplifying the preset-phobia to an absurd degree. you don't gain credibility for having shitty synth sounds because you designed them, you just let people know that you don't know how to make good synths yet
>>
>>53916217

sample a guitar riff from some 70s funk? worked for thomas
>>
>>53915937
Analog can do FM. In fact there's thru zero FM that I'm fairly sure hasn't been done in digital before. Dude was wrong as fuck. What analog doesn't do is phase modulation.

But wanting analog for FM is like wanting an FM synth just for filters, urdoinitrong.
>>
>>53916255

maybe not to your soundcloud group of dubstep bangers or whatever shit you're trendhopping but if you make any music that's in any way unique or personal it matters more that you're doing it yourself

you can do pretty wicked music with basic oscillator settings anyway

>>53916275

you can do it with some modular stuff but an actual multi operator-based architecture can't really be done, at least it hasn't

linear FM and PM are virtually indistinguishable anyway but have a cookie for splitting hairs
>>
>>53916264
>>53916264
But I feel like sampling is kinda cheap, at lest for anything that isn't drums or vocals.
>>
>>53916444

well that's what he did to get that sound. your alternative is to record your own guitar riff and play some strings, record it through some shitty equipment, turn it into mono and slap a phaser on it
>>
>>53916442
I was talking about thru zero FM, not bog standard linear FM. Have a cookie for being condescending/wrong.
>>
This probably isn't the usual kind of thing posted here, but I'm making an Animal Crossing style track, and I need some feedback:

https://clyp.it/sb5pg4gf
>>
>>53915730
>analog warmness
Its placebo and a sales pitch.
>>
>>53916531

basic maths isn't placebo
>>
>>53916531
That's virtual analog dummy. Can't you into basic digital filter theory?
>>
What's your favorite drum machine sound? I'd go for 909 warm snare. So fucking sexy.
>>
>>53916680
909 open hi hat. it's a comfy sound.
>>
>>53916680

707 cowbell, no explanation needed
>>
>>53916546
>>53916564
m8s dont test me ill induce physical pain on u through my posts
>>
>>53916680
808 cowbell.

>>53916724
808 > 707
707 is my overall favorite, though.
>>
>>53916680
707 snare or that edited 808 snare you get in trap a lot that has a soft feel to it.
>>
>>53916724
top fucking kek
>>
>>53916680
Simmons SDS 5 tom sound, you know the one that goes doodoodooo.
>>
>>53916680
I don't think it's a drum machine , but the linn kick drums sound great
>>
done with classes all i have time to do now is mix...

but im afraid
>>
>>53916442
>maybe not to your soundcloud group of dubstep bangers or whatever shit you're trendhopping
you can tell you have a really strong argument when you have to start making things up about the person you're arguing with lol.
>but if you make any music that's in any way unique or personal
aka totally subjective criteria that essentially boils down to "music i approve of"
>it matters more that you're doing it yourself
not from the listener's point of view, when have you ever heard a shitty sounding synth and liked it because it wasn't a preset?
>you can do pretty wicked music with basic oscillator settings anyway
when did we start talking about "wicked music" instead of "sounds like shit"? way to move the goalposts

there's nothing wrong with using presets as a starting point or a piece of a larger sound.
>>
>>53916680
626 kick
come at me fagets
>>
>>53917027

i commend you on your effort picking posts apart like that, but what the fuck are we even arguing about here? what's a "shitty sounding synth"?

i mean as long as it isn't about a fat drop you can make some pretty wicked shit with basic synth settings. i think we can all agree on music that defies popular genres to some extent or is DIY-spirited goes outside of that kind of requirement

i only see people saying "shitty sounding synths" in two cases: when it doesn't sound like it should in a particular niche, or because it's all presets
>>
what is everyones go to pair of open headphones? i had a pair of ath-m50x but closed headphones are not for me, especially not those ones, gave me constant earaches. looking for a recommendation of something in the same price range (a bit lower or higher is fine )
>>
>>53917154
>what the fuck are we even arguing about here?
i don't even know lol, i don't think we're talking about the same use of presets. every vsti and effect has presets and it's totally fine to use them in combination with one another or to complement your other sounds. i'm not talking about just using unedited stock sounds for a whole track
>>
>>53916741

man i'm pretty sure there's scientific proof that 808 is the greatest drum machine ever but that 707 is funky as shit. when ceephax is rocking out on his gear you don't wanna hear a tinny "ping", you want that inherently distorted cowbell rocking the funk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4fyOZVLZB8
>>
>>53917267
i think there are some Grados s11 that were basically open back MDRV6s but im pretty sure thats not Tthe correct name
>>
>tfw you will never be as good as dick d. james
>>
https://clyp.it/ek1bd4g1

r8 it and have fun

>>53916530
This sounds extremely robotic
>>
>>53918049
4/10 for trying
0/10 for the midsection
i know that's what bm does half the time but by god does it sound like a horrible mess here
overall 3/10 would not immediately close
idk what else to tell you though, maybe use less of the bm, it's overpowering in a bad way
>>
>>53918222
not him but what is bm
>>
>>53918500
>what is bm

just give up
>>
File: WP_20130905_001.jpg (137KB, 720x1278px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20130905_001.jpg
137KB, 720x1278px
is this thread still alive? spent the morning on this:

https://soundcloud.com/permasuperlink/thomas-mix2

Really unsure about the mix, trying to go for an early AnCo feel. I know there are some errors but what do you think?
>>
>>53918762

we're alive and well, happy to comment on your mix if you'd leave your soundcloud at the door and post a clyp.it link

>>53918859

bandcamp spam thread is that way: >>53908269
>>
>>53918049
>808 blast beats

Literally lost my shit here
>>
>>53918859
>>53918762
Show us your music, not you name.
Post a clypit or fuck off.
>>
>>53918049
>808 blastbeats
More please.
Bonus points if you can work it into a proper club tune instead of this dungeon synth-y wankery.
>>
>>53918535
beat modulation?
>>
>>53918927
did it not post?? my bad, I'll try to figure it out
>>
>>53919052
Those are not clypits, so get out.
>>
>>53918927
yknow maybe people would have an easier time adapting to how our threads work if you weren't such an upfront dickhole about it.
>>
>>53919079
It's literally right there in the OP.
And I really like that new catchphase I came up with.
>>
>>53918979
Is there anyway I can apply 808 blast beats in trap rap, without them sounding completely hilarious?
>>
>>53919108
Probably not.
The only things I can really see them work in without sounding like a really funny joke are Big Room House and Brostep.
Possibly trap as well, if you have a strong synth line, you can sidechain them.
>>
>>53919079
these people are too lazy to read the OP and obviously less interested in feedback than they are in new plays, they don't deserve better

>>53919106

I agree and vote we incorporate your slogan into future OPs
>>
>>53918927
ok, cya douchebag!
>>
>>53918535
beard masters?
>>
>>53919106
>And I really like that new catchphase I came up with.
I know it wasn't you, so I'm guessing you're the soundcloud kid trying to do reverse psychology.

Ignore assholes, everyone; this guy just wants attention. Keep helping soundcloud posters understand what these threads are about in the same ways we always did, and keep put making phat beats. Don't let this little bitch ruin it for everyone.
>>
>>53919149
hmm... when you put it that way though... you're right... it kinda doesn't make sense to ask for production feedback on music that is already released.
>>
>>53919325
exactly

they don't want feedback, they want plays and potential new followers
there are SC threads for e-peen stroking, these are for making music and we do it anonymously
>>
https://clyp.it/v4yvpgap

i've been working on trying to make this one louder and fuller. my guitar is broken so i cannot redo those parts yet. the plucking has been the hardest part to mix/sound good. is the whole thing loud enough? Is there a standard for loudness I should set for myself rather than listening to reference tracks? like some of my 'best' mixes peak at like -15db on my multimeter. or should I save loudness as mastering process?
>>
>>53919514

RMS is a very loose guide and not reliable as it is heavily influenced by low frequency content. There are so called K-standards developed by bob katz for broadcasting but they are worth jack shit in the soundcloud age.

Most mixes don't just peak at 0.0dB these days, they peak at +2 or 3db due to intersampling peaks happening after digital conversion and encoding. Load up a popular EDM track in a program like Orban and you're going to be mortified.

Reference tracks are a good bet since you're going for fitting your track in a certain environment or niche and it would make sense to have a comparable loudness level.

Loudness is an integral part of the mastering process (but not the whole of it as some people seem to think) as the primary purpose of mastering is to finalize a mix that will translate optimally on various systems and in various contexts, where there likely will be other music playing and you don't want to turn the volume dial all the time. Some people got the idea that louder is better and this part of the music industry is now a global clusterfuck because of that.

A mix that peaks at -15 is a good standard for a pre-master as there's plenty of headroom for the engineer to work with, but it would not be considered a final product by a long shot. Your tune is very low in volume. I don't know if you're using 80's tracks for reference but I'm suspecting it.

There's a huge difference between programme loudness and percieved loudness, as ears depend on frequency content, dynamic range, harmonic content and other factors. This is why it's generally futile to expect a limiter to do all the job for you and why most people struggle to achieve a comparable loudness level.

At any rate, it's mostly futile to enter the loudness war and try to achieve loudness at severe cost of signal quality, and if you're really concerned about a proper volume and frequency response, I would advise you to consult an engineer and not lose too much sleep over this.
>>
>>53919929
Thanks this was pretty insightful. i'm gonna try not to worry about it anymore. i am aware of the loudness war and it's not that i want to compete with it, i just want to be able to produce something that is not perceived as too quiet. A few reference tracks were from the 80s, some lofi, some chillwave stuff I guess, but even those I sometimes can't get as loud without feeling like I am overcompressing tracks. i just have to keep practicing i guess
>>
How can you tell if people don't 'get' your music or if it's just genuinely shit.

It's like I have no empathy for how someone else will perceive my music and I'm always gonna like it automatically just because I made it.
>>
File: 1234567997654321.png (13KB, 274x262px) Image search: [Google]
1234567997654321.png
13KB, 274x262px
I'm producing on a HP Laptop that has built in "Beats" audio. Should I turn off the Beats audio option in order to get a more natural sound or does it matter?
>>
>>53920540
You can't. My solution is to don't give a fuck about what people say and trust myself.
>>
>>53920636
Oh shit I didn't even think of that. I wonder if that's why my tracks seem bass-heavy for the last year.
>>
>>53920658
I'm guessing the beats audio boosts the bass a fuck ton, cause on any speaker not connected to my system my music seriously lacks low end frequencies.
>>
I've been thinking about a kind of collaborative /prod/ buddy helping out scheme:

Basically if there's a VST of some kind you have need for, but you don't want to pay for it, or it's not available on your operating system, you could post something in a /prod/ thread with a link to a sound or MIDI file, and basic instructions on what settings to put into the VST, and then if someone is feeling helpful they'll do it for you and bounce the audio file.

What do you guys think? It wouldn't cost the person with the VST much and I guess we'd save each other some shekels. I for one wouldn't mind hiring out my selection of plugins in return for the use of an effect I don't have.
>>
>>53920734
Yeah I get insane bass over my headphones but I can barely hear it on my stereo.

Fuck, I have to try turning it off now.
>>
https://clyp.it/xyulfcw0
>>
>>53916680
cr-78 accented cowbell. it's too cute.
>>
>>53920814
I feel really dumb for not realizing that sooner...i think its like fn+b to turn it off. And sadly it makes music through spotify sound much better, so i'll have to be switching it on and off constantly
>>
>>53913516
People have short attention spans . need some breaks , builds and dynamics. I kept waiting for the bass to drop.
>>
>>53920778
that sounds cool, i would love to help out except i haven't got any VSTs actually...
>>
>>53913516
>same thing played over an over
ugh..
lrn2composition
>>
>>53920540
pretty hard to say. some people are awfully delusional and defensive and may never be capable of actually making honest assessments of their own work, while others have no problem with it. but if you can't take criticism or have trouble understanding certain critical perspectives, then that might be a bad sign.
>>
File: oneoht-replic.jpg (830KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
oneoht-replic.jpg
830KB, 1000x1000px
Anyone know how I can recreate/make something similar to the main drone on Remember?
>>
>>53921162
But if you're on Windows there are free VSTs which aren't available on OS X which could be useful, although it does sound like a lot of effort to install a new VST just to do someone a favour

If there is any interest in this it would be cool if we could put some guidelines in the OP
>>
>>53921222
1) find a 90s digital workstation
2) hold down on any key
>>
>>53921289
Lmao thanks any recs
>>
>>53921334
it's a choir patch. who knows if it's a preset or not but many digital synths have them.

here's just some random example of one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEZUtro9q_M
>>
>>53920778
like people request a sound and someone else makes it for them? let people learn themselves
>>
>>53921287
i think it'd be better to ask ppl what VSTs they already have and if somebody needs something specific from a certain rig, they can request it. such as, an AB test for their stock DAW compressor vs a $1000 one.
otherwise we have this valid point >>53921675
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgT9zGkiLig
>>
>>53918535
bear masturbators?
please someone tell me what the fuck bm is
>>
>>53921675
No... what gave me the idea is that dBlue glitch isn't available for free on OS X but I used it when I used Windows. So I don't have it, but I know exactly how to use it, and if someone had a few minutes to spare they could just set it up how I requested it and bounce an audio file for me, for example.
>>
>>53921823
I was just messing with you idk what the fuck he meant with bm
>>
File: futuureee.jpg (66KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
futuureee.jpg
66KB, 1024x768px
>>53921876
w-why would you do that
>>
>>53921899
because I was having a giggle thinking about you googling "bm" and getting pissed that nothing relevant popped up.
>>
>>53921863
is it free? dBlue glitch i mean.
>>
>>53921958
An old version is, which is just as good as the new one as far as I can tell, but it's only available on Windows. The new version is cross-platform, but paid.
>>
File: buttcontroler.jpg (125KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
buttcontroler.jpg
125KB, 640x360px
>>53921952
>mfw that is exactly what happened
>>
File: melee4life.jpg (73KB, 500x699px) Image search: [Google]
melee4life.jpg
73KB, 500x699px
I'm the guy that suggested that this ableton tutorial be posted on the pastebin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmOEanhDTGo

After having discovered Sadowick's ultimate course I motion that it is substituted for this playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dza0RKSVLCo&list=PLa9ASr8n5idArGa1uaBExM-lI-nO1P959

Or perhaps the 9lives one be put as a tutorial for session view or for live performance or as a "General short tutorial" and sadowicks playlist as a "In-Depth Tutorial".
>>
File: dumb.jpg (121KB, 820x470px) Image search: [Google]
dumb.jpg
121KB, 820x470px
>>53918927
>>53919072
>>53919106
>>53919149
>>53919323
>>53919434
>>
File: usb3mixer.jpg (11KB, 203x248px) Image search: [Google]
usb3mixer.jpg
11KB, 203x248px
So im setting up these monitors for the first time trying to plug into mixer in pic related, i cannot for the life of me get sound from my computer or daw to play into the monitors, wtf am i doing wrong? ive tried both the main mix output and the ch 2 ch 3 inputs.

However, when i plug my guitar straight into the ch1 input, the monitors work perfectly.

pls help i know im retarded
>>
File: 1386103898499.gif (670KB, 320x234px) Image search: [Google]
1386103898499.gif
670KB, 320x234px
>>53922256
sensiblechuckle.jpg
>>
>>53921952
>>53922078
you guys are both morons but it's ok bc im also having a giggle at poor buttconfused anon
>>
>>53922256
such good reads
>>
>>53922319
>pls help i know im retarded
welcome to the club
>>
>>53920540
>tfw almost everyone told me my music is shit
>tfw i started digging pretty deeply into music theory to make it better
>tfw the more I knew the more I realised how fresh and advanced at the same time my early works were and that I pretty much knew most of this stuff intuitively
don't trust what people say, most of them have short attention spans and probably lack imagination and sensitiveness to understand art
>>
>>53922319
How are you getting sound out of the computer?
>>
>>53922401
>>53920540

>tfw show a couple of irl people some choons
>they don't respond well to all of them they like some a little bit
>upload to internet
>a lot of people genuinely like it (i hope)

I think it's my image. if people see me and listen to my music they wont respond to it because I'm meh looking, but if they hear it online without my identity they like it
>>
>>53922448
i thought it was transfered via USB, is that wrong?

it would make sense that it isnt, because the monitors currently are only receiving a signal from the main input from the usb mixer

i have no idea man im lost
>>
>>53922566
is your computers audio output assigned to the mixer?
>>
>>53922401
lol to me it's the opposite.

>make music
>"this is... kinda passable I guess"
>show it to /prod/
>"bruh that is fucking shit"
>show it to irl friend
>"daamn bro that mix is so cleean daaaamn thats really good bro if my band ever releases an album i'm calling you to mix and master it"

The funny thing is I totally agree and tell him I'd even do it for free since I need the practice/experience and it sounds like a good time (he knows i'm just a beginner ''producer''). But I'm glad /prod/ teaches some real sense into me and not only that but also give me pointers and teach me to be better at mixing and mastering with every track I post. Without /prod/ I'm certain even my irl friend woulda said it's shit.
>>
>>53922401
i've gotten mixed reviews from everyone i've ever showed stuff too. a lot of people just aren't interested at all even before hearing it. those that do hear it usually say it's not shit or say it's good, whatever. i have no other friends that make electronic music though now and that is why prod is my only savior and criticism.
>>
>>53920540
depends on the person. Someone with experience can give you an objective view on your music regardless of whether or not they like it.
>>
File: 093 - QIZOGqj.jpg (7KB, 200x195px) Image search: [Google]
093 - QIZOGqj.jpg
7KB, 200x195px
fuck this thread is awfully slow today.

[spoiler]this thread is literally my only activity this friday night beside listening through old songs to find something to sample[/spoiler]
>>
>>53920540
Get mixing feedback online. Most producers on forums will have a solid opinion on at least the levels of your mix. Good songwriting advice is hard to come by online because everyone is making such wildly different shit, even if someone is in the same genre as you they might hate your stuff but most people who would hear it in the real world would still like it. Take everything with a grain of salt. Feedback tells you what you should take a second look at, not necessarily what you should change.

The only 100% accurate feedback you can get is from your audience. If you can't find anyone to like your music, than it's either bunk or you haven't found the right people yet. If you don't want to have to look harder for those people, then broaden the scope of the feedback you listen to.

Also be careful with /prod/ critiques. You have no clue who's lurking on here. Try to find a forum that you can relate with if you want more reliable feedback.
>>
File: hardsmile.jpg (38KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
hardsmile.jpg
38KB, 413x395px
>>53923474
you and me both bub, lets sit on the beer and drink a couch
>>
>>53922682
keep it up m8

>>53922777
i have gotten just sort of confused-sounding "that's interesting" reviews from almost everyone
>>
File: CAN-ART-CST-4-th01.jpg (37KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
CAN-ART-CST-4-th01.jpg
37KB, 300x300px
How do you properly record samples in FL? Like re-sampling. Whenever I record something it saves alright but I can't change the pitch on it or anything, they don't work the same as the samples I've downloaded.
>>
>>53923474
Me too
>tfw no music friends to jam with on a friday night before trolling the streets for babes
>>
>>53923559
click on the time stretching knob and select "[None]"
>>
File: 1413833490179.jpg (44KB, 347x394px) Image search: [Google]
1413833490179.jpg
44KB, 347x394px
Advice on how to improve my house mixes?

https://soundcloud.com/freecandy1/the-house-that-deep-built
>>
>>53923583
motherFUCKER
>>
File: Untitled.png (59KB, 168x150px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
59KB, 168x150px
>>53923603
oh boy
>>
>>53923603
What the fuck did you just fucking say about my mix, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the DubSpot LA school, and I’ve been involved in numerous charity albums in Bandcamp, and I have over 300 confirmed label deals. I am trained in gorilla compression and I’m the top producer in the entire US label line-up. You are nothing to me but just another FL kiddie. I will remix you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of mastering engineers and label owners across the USA and your SC is being blacklisted right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your music. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can remix your tracks in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my copy of Ableton Live Lite. Not only am I extensively trained in mixing and mastering, but I have access to the entire arsenal of gear of the most famous labels in the world and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” SC post was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.
>>
File: soundcloud kid.png (228KB, 1356x892px) Image search: [Google]
soundcloud kid.png
228KB, 1356x892px
>>53923682
m8 you're forgetting the golden rule
>>
Hey /prod/, what do your parents think of your music?
>>
File: tqzGqEg.gif (2MB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
tqzGqEg.gif
2MB, 250x188px
>>53923603
S O U N D C L O U D
O U N D C L O U D
U N D C L O U D
N D C L O U D
D C L O U D
C L O U D
L O U D
O U D
U D
D
>>
>>53923824
my parents have no idea I make beats. They think I'm a video game nerd with no hobbies. Truth is even though I spend a fuckton of hours on the computer I rarely play video games, I mostly just produce music
>>
>>53923824
when my mom learned i made music she asked me to put some of my tracks on a cd for her as a mother's day gift.

she hasn't gotten around to listening to it yet. i think she forgot that cd even exists lol
>>
What's the secret to having a career or at least a respectable following when making instrumental music?
>>
>>53923824
They really like it, though I avoid showing them my shit at all costs because they hate electronic music and I can smell the parental encouragement bleeding off of them.
>>
File: 1404391663393.jpg (34KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
1404391663393.jpg
34KB, 620x400px
https://clyp.it/umzxfklj

Please ignore the intro, it's a place holder. This will probably sound shit because I know NOTHING about mixing. Does anybody know any good resources for learning?
>>
>>53923824
Now that I helped them out of debt with the money I make from it, they love it.
>>
>>53923824
noone in my family knows i make music
i was once working on a mix on the speakers and when my brother heard it he was shaking his head in the rhytm, but he was doing it ironically
>>
>>53923824
My dad just saw me working on the most recent track I've been working on and he said it's cool but why does it have to be that rhythm, referring to the 4 to the floor kick I had going on. Also told me to make something more melodic since he's used to listening to salsa and conventional music but that it was cool; he said it sounded liike 'disco' music lol. I had never really worked with 4 to the floor kick before but I'm liking how easy to work with it is.

After that he asked how long it took me to make that and I told him 2 hours and he was like "well make sure you spend more time reading the bible. it's ok as long as it doesn't take away too much time from your personal (religious) study". Things you gotta live with when your dad's a Witness.
>>
>>53923925
there's no secret
just luck
>>
>>53923925
Performing. People get thousands of followers just from playing other people's music (and badly at that). Even if your own music was just the sound of your asshole queefing as you shoved various objects up it you could still get a good amount of people exposed to it by DJing.
>>
>>53923982
>"well make sure you spend more time reading the bible"
top fucking kek
>>
>>53923474
me to, but i'm not all sad pepe about it
>>
>>53923968
the OP check the OP
>>
>>53923968
Dude you sound like you're getting off to a good start, better than my shit was when I started. Biggest tip I think anyone can get for mixing: Have your mix in mind from the second you lay down your first instrument. The more you think about while you're writing it, the less time you'll spend squeezing shit together after you've spent hours getting used to them sounding rough. Some of my best mixes had almost no EQing in them.

Here suck on this.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/11995844/Guide-to-Mixing
>>
>>53923925
CT Fletcher gives you the secret from 3:50 onwards. Just think he's talking about music production. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47t0NtU5FoQ
>>
>>53924255
And at 5:48.
>>
>>53924206
Sorry!

>>53924220
Thank you, I've been making productions on and off for about 2 years but now I am taking it seriously
>>
File: 1421702600367.jpg (331KB, 1018x986px) Image search: [Google]
1421702600367.jpg
331KB, 1018x986px
https://soundcloud.com/revingoff/closure/s-MTkWA
>>
>>53921222
I think OPN uses the korg M1's choir patch called "Ladies" a lot.
You can pretty easily recreate that with the legacy collection.
>>
>>53923824
i try to hide it from them. my family is pretty judgmental
>>
>>53924833
nice dubs
>>
>>53923824
My parents don't hear my ill beetz because I'm all grown up and don't live at home with mummy and daddy like a big baby
>>
>>53925392
have a cookie for being old
>>
>>53924255
lol, I would sample him but prod says that's gay
>>
Performing live is so fucking fun.
>>
>>53925558
DO IT DOOO IIIIIIITTTTT
>>
>>53924889
Know where I could download that for free?
>>
Do you guys ever feel like you don't listen to enough music? I make music so often that I usually forget to listen to albums that I want to listen to and end up having a massive backlog.
>>
>>53926055
holy shit yes. if I listen to music I jam to it for like 15 mins and then feel the need to make something that sounds cool
>>
File: 1417584379393.gif (878KB, 400x311px) Image search: [Google]
1417584379393.gif
878KB, 400x311px
Hey hi hello.

I come to you with a... lighter jungle br-

Fuck it.

So what I did was make a couple of break loops out of samples, rather than sampling, say, an amen. Then I sliced it up and sequenced it again.

It still feels kind of empty and I don't know what to fill the space with.

https://clyp.it/n1sj2xn5
>>
>>53926055
Opposite for me. I feel like Im wasting my time listening to other people's music and not progressing my own sound.
>>
>>53926055
you hit the nail on the head, mate :/
At the same time I try to not listen to new music at all or atleast not to the genres I make cus I'll listen to the artist doing something new and cool and I can identify the technique and im like "aww man son of a bitch why didn't I think of that thats pretty cool" and after I know the technique exists I can't use it cus I feel like I'm not being original.
>>
>>53926083
>>53926181
Yeah it sucks, all the guys I have asked for tips from on SC and the like have mostly said "listen to a lot of music!"

>>53926146
Have you listened to a large library of music though? Do you think your tastes aren't limited?
>>
>>53926244
It's not that I never listen to music it's just that if I had a choice to listen to an hour long album or work on my own music I would work on my music because I feel like Im running out of time a sense. My tastes can definitely be expanded though do you have any recs?
>>
>>53924833

>Pic reference

I love you anon.
>>
What's the general concensus on chiptunes and the genre? I don't know why but I think I read someone on /mu/ once say it's cancer or cancerous meaning that it was shit. Or that it was on the same level that ''trap'' and ''chillwave'' are today. Is that correct or am I wrong and just dream of posting on 4chan?
>>
>>53926659
I think it's cool sounding, the actually sonic quality is probably what people gripe about.
>>
anyone know how i would go about making a lead that sounds like the lead that comes in after 2:18 here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2kFnpSAGcI
>>
>>53926780
Sounds like an fm synth, try FM8
>>
>>53926659
I don't enoy it, but some great artists started with the genre.
>>
>>53926659
Chiptunes can be cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MADUgbfUfCQ
>>
>>53926659
Having been a chipmusican for a good many years now It seems like chipmusic has gotten kind of a bad rap lately. There was a moment where the genre seemed like it was gonna take off a couple years ago, but happily it didn't. (It's not really cohesive enough to make a decent showing as it is currently, etc.) I'm kinda surprised there would even be enough of a chip presence on /mu/ for people to form such a strong opinion about it. I think a lot of it came with the whole Anamanaguchi Q&A event/them being buttfriends with m00tles. They're kinda bigtime douchebags and I think they actually do more to hurt the genre by being it's self-imposed posterboys... If you want another look at the genre I'd check out some of the longtime heavy hitters. Yerzmyey is a good bet: https://soundcloud.com/yerzmyey
Ultrasyd can kick it too https://soundcloud.com/ultrasyd
>>
>>53927490
>>53927232
>>53926710
>>53927572
thanks for the answers
>>
https://clyp.it/0bbiamnh

how 2 improve this? first post
>>
I can't make a song with only synths and midi notes. it sounds shit. I can only layer tracks or harmonic phrases until I have a song. it sucks man, and I already know a bit of theory
>>
>>53927919

Try a new kick that doesn't sound like someone ripping ass.
>>
sorry for posting sc here but i NEED an HONEST opinion about this track : https://soundcloud.com/gestie/ututu-gestie-bootleg what's missing or not feeling "in that place" kind of stuff? any feedback will b musch appreciated
>>
>>53927919
i get you were going for that scratchy noise-perc sound a la gameboy color but i think it needs to be smoother, higher pitched, with more noise in between, or something, it is kind of uncomfortable to hear like >>53928234
said

is it supposed to be background music?
>>
>>53928428
>[SoundCloud] daoko - Ututu (Gestie Bootleg) by Gestie

I like it. Also, damn, someone else listening to daoko, pressing F to pay respects to you, dude
>>
https://clyp.it/fmzj5fuf

i've been making skittery ghettotech stuff for fun but i know very little about sound design, how do i make this sound more banging on the d-floor?
>>
File: 1279499527932.jpg (8KB, 251x240px) Image search: [Google]
1279499527932.jpg
8KB, 251x240px
Can someone remind me tomorrow to ask why my mid-to-bass chords keep causing a weird ringing sound? tyvm
Thread posts: 216
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.