[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

writing music/writer's block thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: Writers-Block.jpg (823KB, 1440x960px) Image search: [Google]
Writers-Block.jpg
823KB, 1440x960px
Anybody else have writer's block when they try and write music?

I can't seem to write anything worth remembering or expanding on. I have all of these awesome sounding ideas playing in my head all day, but when I sit down to expand on them and bring them to life...I end up just sitting there. There's no other way to describe it than I hit some creative wall. It might have something to do with how little I really know about songwriting structure and theory, but everyone else tells me you don't need to really learn any of it.

Is anyone else just as frustrated as I am?

Also general music-making thread.
>>
no never

its called riffing a scale. how the fuck else do you practice?
>>
>>53859755
Take your time, write/sing down your melody and leave it.
Go for a walk or a run, think about it later, maybe when you're going to bed.
Sitting down and actively trying to come up with something can be difficult, try to improv on your instrument.
Either way, just take your time, you are not in a hurry.
>>
>>53859755
Drugs alcohol will help you think of ideas. However, they will not help with the execution of your idea
>>
>>53859918
Yeah I have that problem hahah. Although it still happens if I'm sober or not, and I can't really say I've abused enough drugs to blame it on that.
>>
Just steal some shit tbh lel
>>
Tips for beginners:
>make the music before the lyrics, rarely do the lyrics being written first ever helps composition over cripple it
>constantly record riffs, patterns, anything you even mildly like while practicing or jamming
>in full jam sessions record everything and re-listen constantly
>learn actual music theory to replay recordings by ear, if you don't you will fail as a musician
>do this regularly and without distractions
>learn at least a few dozen songs from artists you want to emulate or who inspire you
>keep structure when making music and build on sounds repeatedly
>never assume just because it's basic it generally is bad (see ITAOTS)
>plagarization mixed up enough can be originality as long as it's built upon enough

Music is usually spontaneous or formulaic, just feel an emotion and keep pressing it on an instrument til it sounds how you feel. Even if it takes an hour, do it, if it's really difficult just go formulaic and learn/practice other songs and styles for a while to increase your capability when confronting creative blocks.
>>
>>53860478
thank you for the genuine advice!
>>
>>53859755
there are no answers that i know of except to keep going. sometimes forcing yourself to make something when you think you have nothing will cause you to surprise yourself in a good way.

i feel the same way though as you i think. i have no shortage of ideas but i end up disliking everything that comes out.
>>
>>53860478
>constantly record riffs, patterns, anything you even mildly like while practicing or jamming
>in full jam sessions record everything and re-listen constantly

I do this and always hate myself afterwards because it's terrible and I can see how technically bad I am and how bland our music is.
>>
>>53860643
so write down what you think you and your band can improve upon and practice with that in mind. Musical growth just needs a little push sometimes
>>
>>53859755

for some reason this picture reminded me of the clickers in last of us

fuck off never post this picture again i don't need to think about those fuckers
>>
i am so fucked if i dont
fill this fucking role of
"creative"
>not a creative bone in my body some days
>fucked.jpg
>>
i have a block really bad at the moment because of the meds im on, so every 2 weeks or so i stop taking them for 2 days. a lot of stuff usually comes to me in those 2 days and i expand on that when im back on them. annoying as heck.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.