[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/prod/ - music production general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 12

File: SSL.jpg (141KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
SSL.jpg
141KB, 480x360px
>SSL 4000G+ Total Recall edition

Post the tracks you're working on, discuss general music composition. Learn which mic preamp you should get and why you can't afford it.

Remember to use:
>clyp.it for WiPs
>soundcloud for finished tracks and getting called a rear-end rider for not going to soundcloud threads

We're making an album! (or trying to).
Check the next post for info.

Stuff:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff:
http://pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - looking for contributors (wink, wink)
http://mu-sic-production.wikia.com/wiki//mu/sic_Production_Wiki

Last thread was a good informative one, keep it up! >>5367419
>>
oops here's the proper link: >>53674196

>>53690245
We're making an album! (or trying to).
How to join:
>Take a good look at this picture
>Be inspired by it
>that's it
Anything goes, feel free to find anons to collab and have fun with in any way you want. Or just work solo.
We're doing this for fun.
>>
what do you think of this techno wip? i fel like ive finished the arrangement but i also feel that somethings missing. any advice?

https://clyp.it/tsfoyig4
>>
Is there a list of things to start buying ? New to this. Like headphones or monitors? Some cheap ass ones just to get started?

>>53690245
The pdf in the first link doesnt work.
>>
>>53690468

Rushing into this looking for things to buy is not the best idea unless you are rolling in cash, carefully survey the landscape and try to predict your needs in the near future

with that said, everybody should have a midi keyboard / controller, doesn't have to be too fancy. also get an audio interface if you want to record IRL stuff (as well as mics/preamps, duh), roland or focusrite are good low end ones

with just a decent DAW (music program) and a midi keyboard you can keep busy for years to come

I'm still using my old Edirol so I'm not too good on the new ones, though I hear m-audio makes decent cheap ones

Monitors are not a good idea to skimp out on, you can do with headphones until you can find a decent pair

when looking both for monitors and headphones, the key is to look for a reasonably flat frequency response (so throw away those beats by dre, dingus), sennheisers cheaper ones like the HD 215 are not a terrible way to start

heck i know engineers who are perfectly comfortable in koss portapros
>>
My headphones (MDR-7506), which are plugged into a USB audio interface, "pop" when I turn on the PC. This is probably a common occurrence, but is it bad for the headphones? Should I be unplugging them before I turn it on every day?

>>53690304
It might sound good to bring in a fast square wave arpeggio at 1:03
>>
>>53690572

thank you anon, that was really helpful thought out answer.

*tips fedora*
>>
CRUMBSNATCHERS, if you're here, i tip my fedora to you. especially guetts u fucking lanky jew
>>
>>53690729

They'll be fine. electrical current + audio does that
>>
>>53690572
Are openback headphones what I should be looking for?
I saw Ath-M50x on sale but dunno if they are great or not.
>>
File: image.jpg (47KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47KB, 500x375px
Where is everyone?
>>
>>53691912
kek
>>
>>53691912
3spooky5me
>>
>>53691912
you scared everyone away
>>
>>53692221
Shut up, you're not even from here
>>
>>53692884
I am, I just turn my trip off sometimes silly man
>>
>>53691912

Prodding!
>>
>>53690970
m50s are bass machines.

Get MDRV6s instead.
>>
Still producing meme music.
https://clyp.it/tvo33uak

+ Anybody tried melodyne? Is it good?
>>
File: Voltage Quantizer.gif (34KB, 1012x766px) Image search: [Google]
Voltage Quantizer.gif
34KB, 1012x766px
>>53690245
I've been working on my own album recently and I have a track that I am looking for some third party input on, will return feedback and suggestions

>https://soundcloud.com/about_blank_music/extraterrestrial-prolly-gonna-change-name/s-5YvDn
>>
>>53693190
brace yourself, you're about to meet a lot of angry people
>>
>>53693216
Why? Trip hop is tolerated here, a lot of fags from here even like it.
>>
>>53693238
it's because you posted a soundcloud, people here lose their shit when anybody does that for any reason
doesn't that make you wanna stick around and become a regular poster here?
>>
>>53693216
I just ignore the sc links

>>53693075
very dope
>>
File: VCO.gif (43KB, 1004x760px) Image search: [Google]
VCO.gif
43KB, 1004x760px
>>53693216
Eh whatever, I think the song holds up. The soundcloud threads are absolutely dead and I am interested in talking synthesizers and monitors and all that too, which nobody in soundcloud threads really knows about other than Massive and Sylenth.
>>
File: VCA1.gif (17KB, 1004x760px) Image search: [Google]
VCA1.gif
17KB, 1004x760px
>>53693274
The dude bro that you replied to wasn't the original poster. I've had good experiences before and really it's not differen't than clyp other than the fact that this shit is actually a song right now instead of 2 bars of whatever.
>>
>>53693293
oh by all means, i wish you the best of luck but /prod/ has an established history of falling to pieces over soundcloud links being posted, i'm just giving a heads up
>>
File: VCF.gif (31KB, 1004x760px) Image search: [Google]
VCF.gif
31KB, 1004x760px
>>53693340
>>53693293
>>53693190
Slowly posting circuits for all the parts of a synth if anybody is interested.
>>
File: image_94962.jpg (31KB, 584x358px) Image search: [Google]
image_94962.jpg
31KB, 584x358px
Anybody had any experience with the Steinberg CMC series? I have about $150 in Guitar Center cash (bought monitors on the $10GCC for every $50 spent) and I am looking for stuff to do with that fake money because it is only valid for a couple of weeks. Recommendations?

>Pic related
>>
>>53693398
Is it really possible to build a synth when you never really did anything electronic for all your life?
>>
>>53693486
Yes, but you best learn how to read schematics. A general guide to electrical engineering would be a good start because I don't recommend going in blind. If you get real good though you can make anything.
>>
>>53693569
OK. But I meant, is it a good way to save money?
>>
>>53693190
>>53693293
>>53693340
>>53693398

Thanks for the circuits, but please don't post Soundcloud links here. We prefer clyp.it because it's anonymous. Everyone here has a name and a career or aspirations of, but we don't need to know who you are. That kind of stuff bring egos, politics and beef, and we don't want it here. Let's just talk about the music itself, okay?

As a rule of thumb, we don't care about anything on a Soundcloud, especially finished tracks.
>>
>>53693588
Fuck yeah dude, you could pretty much clone a moog voyager + a few things for about the 4th of the price if you get the right components. Maybe less, I haven't really calculated the costs.
>>
>>53693633
Seems cool. I don't want to troll but if you copy the moog voyager, how is the sound going to sound better than the moogvst? Isn't it better to create a midi controller wich looks like the moog?
>>
File: LFO.gif (19KB, 1012x766px) Image search: [Google]
LFO.gif
19KB, 1012x766px
>>53693623
Noted, will post it on Clyp if you like just figured since it was already uploaded to soundcloud might as well do that.
>>
>>53693681
Vsts do a pretty good job of emulating the analog sound but they don't have the irregularities of analog which give it a unique characteristic. I don't recommend jumping in to analog equipment until you have a pretty firm understanding of synthesis and want to get that unique kind of sound. If you have a guitar center or similar place around you, go in and play around with some of their synths before making your decision.
>>
>>53693633
>build a Moog voyager
To do that, you would need to have pretty good knowledge in coding software to control an analog circuit, along with full midi implementation, it would be a lot easier to try and clone a model D or a modular.

>>53693681
Gain staging and non-linear behavior of solid state circuits, especially the UJTs in the VCOs and the filter saturation.

Also, what Moog VST? There's tons of VSTs that look like Moogs that have varying degrees of quality.
>>
>>53693681

Generating sound via voltage-controlled oscillators is an entirely different thing from digital software algorithms, it's not necessarily a matter of which is better but it's an entirely different way of dealing with sound generation altogether and an experience in its own right.. especially if you build the circuits yourself!
>>
This is a really stupid question but I'm writing some basslines and seem to remember something about substituting the root note with the 9th of whatever chord you're playing.. I know jazzheads like tritone substitutions and shit but is that a thing?

Also, could someone help me identify what the bass is doing here? Maybe I'm stupid but it seems like it's rarely on the root note at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0rkLSuDsTg
>>
>>53693844
Not saying it wouldn't be a lot of work, but it's possible. For the midi input I plan on just buying a midi/cv box because that coding is beyond me.
>>
>>53694032
Somebody who isn't me would probably make a few bucks by making some sort of comprehensive CV I/O board for controlling lots of voice parameters for patch memory and voice allocation. Then you can just /diy/ the voices and build your own polysynth.
>>
I wish something would happen to me where I lost a leg or both so I don't have to go to college anymore and can stay at home producing and making musics all day. I don't even use my legs at all besides for walking between classrooms.

I- is that ok, /prod/?
>>
>>53694316
No, you fucking retard. You're wishing to be a bother to other people and unable to take care of yourself over a hobby.
>>
File: 1417584379393.gif (878KB, 400x311px) Image search: [Google]
1417584379393.gif
878KB, 400x311px
I just made this. It’s almost finished but I think it still needs something. Would like to think what your thoughts about it are!

https://clyp.it/mssxqhya
>>
>>53694316
You can do it anyways, there's nothing but yourself stopping you.
>>
>>53694316
no, fucking get education and learn a real job, so you have an emergency plan, in case you really try to make it as a producer
>>
>>53694286
I found a really diy breadboard shematic somewhere online but I do know that desktop units in a nice shiny case can go for a lot of money. Euro rack ones are fairly cheap for some reason though.
>>
>>53694393
>https://clyp.it/mssxqhya
it's pretty repetitive and could use some more high register instruments, but it's turning out good
>>
>>53694393
Pretty solid
>>
what's the best midi fx vst fam? i think i have seen a very lightweight one with tons of features which was also free, but i don't remember where/how it was called
>>
Any Anons got any tips for good sites to torrent drum libraries etc?
>>
Hey prod.

https://clyp.it/fx4ws3yv

I'd really appreciate some feedback on this.
>>
I made this, i'm awful at mixing... i know.

https://clyp.it/gek3py0c
>>
>>53694588
Nice concept, you need to upgrade the bass though, it sounds like fart.
>>
>>53693844
how good do you think the minimogueVA VST sounds?
>>
>>53694557
rutracker.org (torrent)

audioz.eu (not torrent, but has a lot of great stuff)

all other good sites are private trackers (like http://proaudiotorrents.org/)
>>
>>53694433
Oh I dont mean those 1-4 voice things with only pitch, gate, and maybe a couple of midi expression controls like after touch and velocity, and the sockets to support it. I mean a fully fledged ADC for things like panel knobs, and DAC for every voice parameter for complete voice recall, like most polysynths after the prophet 5. There's tons of control voltages those things generate per voice, way beyond what any midi-CV box I've ever seen provides. Having something like that in some sort of PCB with the ins and outs provided on header connections would be incredible.
>>
>>53694660
It sounds fine but it doesn't sound like a Moog, it sounds like synthedit. It looks like a Moog.

There's VSTs that don't use the Moog name that sound more analog.
>>
File: bitwig_logo.jpg (36KB, 836x776px) Image search: [Google]
bitwig_logo.jpg
36KB, 836x776px
>>53694607
Your post just reminded me, P.S. I'm not sure if this is allowed but whatever I've already broken the rules with posting a soundcloud
I started doing mixdowns for hella cheap because god damn everything costs so much money. $15 for a full mixdown and master because I'm a poor fuck who needs money for shiny new things

Anyway yeah
>>
>>53693893
I am not sure about the song, but I will sometimes use the 9th in the bass for some chords when I try to write fusiony songs. yes it's a thing. i'm not explaining it very well but it probably occurs within a certain sequence of chords, like a desencing or ascending bassline where you can easily put the 9th in the bass of the chord and it'll make sense and sound good
>>
>>53694751
I'll bring it up to the engineer of my family, dude's got patents similar to everything synthesizer.
>>
>>53694316
after I get my degree all i plan to do is to try to live off music or at least until my savings is depleted. then i will become a vagabond and travel the world with my computer, only stopping to make music
>>
>>53694771
LINK!!
>>
>>53694837
you mean only stopping to go to mcdonalds and use their power outlets and wifi to tell prod about it
>>
>>53694849
Diva is solid sounding. Also a CPU hog.
>>
File: image.jpg (895KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
895KB, 3264x2448px
>>53694806
>patents similar to everything synthesizer
Tell me more
>>
>>53695063
Fuck Apple, I don't live on the equator.
>>
>>53695063
I don't know exactly what they are, but he worked in the telecommunications industry for a long ass time so it's all pretty similar at the fundamental level.
Would give you more info, but I don't know that much about it really, never asked.
>>
>>53695142
Ahh, do you know if he does any electronics as a hobby?
>>
File: H09861000000000-00-750x750.jpg (242KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
H09861000000000-00-750x750.jpg
242KB, 750x750px
anyone know software i can use with this??
>>
>>53695009
any more of a cpu hog than using a whole bunch of operators in sytrus?
>>
>>53695197
Him and I were actually planning on constructing all of those circuits I posted earlier this summer and making a custom synth. So yeah, but not all of the time.
>>
>>53695214
Any software that accepts midi input
>>
>>53695214
it looks like a midi controller and you can connect it to most music making softwares, google the ones in the OP and get the one that looks the coolest
>>
>>53694557
Audionews (open on the 2nd of every month or donation signup)
ProAudioTorrents (donation signup)
audioz.info (audio software release blog + ddl links)
proaudiozone.info (audio software release blog + ddl links)
vstclub.com (audio software release blog + ddl links)

>>53694527
can somebody answer this on me? i mean something like and arp vst
>>
>>53694654
yeah the bass I'm still more or less figuring out

what do you think of the accordion sample?
>>
>>53695315

>that feel when your first download on audionews was a 6gb plugin and it was a bunch of rared parts and one of them was corrupted so I have to download it again but I'm 6gb down and my account is now limited

Is donating really my only option now?
>>
>>53694708
>>53695315
Thanks guys, appreciate it.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.