[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/GG/ - GUITAR GENERAL PRESIDENTS DAY EDITION >Post gear

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

File: SG_closeup.jpg (282KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
SG_closeup.jpg
282KB, 1024x683px
/GG/ - GUITAR GENERAL

PRESIDENTS DAY EDITION

>Post gear
>Post desired gear
>How long have you been playing?
>Fav guitars?
>Fav guitarists?
>Fav president?
>Projects?
>Talk about and play music
>General guitar and bass discussion

Beginner information and FAQ:
>http://www.reddit.com/r/Guitar/wiki/index

Music Theory:
>http://www.justinguitar.com/

Guitar chords and inversions
>http://www.chordbook.com/guitarchords.php

String Tension Calculator (D'Addario based):
>http://hikkyz.net/misc/stringassembler/

Floyd Rose Setup Video Tutorial:
>http://youtu.be/umY5NBKg5AA?list=PLcm7Ag6Q-OkZAmlY6dAhS2ZL9TUMeRZdI [Embed]

Steve Vai's Ten Hour Workout
>http://www.mediafire.com/download/kzw6kjuocgicwks/Ten_Hour.pdf
Guthrie Govan's Creative Guitar 1 & 2
>http://www.mediafire.com/download/bn8803xzlrbds3b/Guitar1.rar
>http://www.mediafire.com/download/9uhtufuf3z9cx8m/Guitar2.rar

Impulse Response Pack
>http://www.mediafire.com/download/svtfxjtillrdwt8/Gods+Cab+1.3.rar
>http://www.mediafire.com/download/4n28zkjw0zgmdj9/ASEM+RECTO+V30+L2.wav
>>
Just found a mostly broken starter guitar with an ok neck and I want to use it for a fretless project.
Any experience/advice on defretting a neck without fret pliers?
>>
>>53650558
Buy some from ebay for like 10 bucks bro

What are you gonna do about the fingerboard once the fretwires are removed? Epoxy in the gaps, sand, then paint?
>>
>>53650701
That's the plan, yes.
I've heard of someone getting a thin sheet of metal cut in the shape of the fretboard for more sustain, might go that route too.
>>
>>53650485
Why would anyone buy a les paul over an sg? It's like an extra $2000 to have a pretty piece of wood on the top. literally everything significant is the same.

>same scale length
>same bridge
>same tuning pegs
>same pickups
>same wiring
>same knobs

I'd like an honest explanation because I am legitimately curious. I don't believe anyone could tell the difference between the two instruments on a recording.
>>
>>53651335
I always found it as an aesthetic thing.

Personally I'd go for a LP over an SG but I don't really want either
>>
>>53651335
feel and aesthetic. sg's don't feel right to me. LP's do.
but I don't even like LP's that much, they play great and sound great but just most don't click with me.
>>
orange micro terror
seems hard to go wrong at such a low price, but years ago i had a "hybrid" amp which sounded like ass. youtube demo's suggest the micro terror isn't ass, but i'm skeptical. anyone here have one?
>>
Can anyone explain what a compressor pedal does? Is it necessary?
>>
>>53652109
The simplest explanation of a compressor is that it's an automatic volume control that turns down your signal when it exceeds a predetermined threshold, attenuating or squashing signal peaks.

Basically, it makes the quieter parts of an audio signal louder and the louder parts quieter: in effect, it's narrowing the dynamic range of a signal and delivering a more consistent overall loudness.
>>
>>53651335
SG's are thinner and have more neck dive. the guitars feel different to play, so depending on your preferences you may like one over the other. also there are LPs without fancy tops
>>
>>53652109
>Is it necessary?
in terms of on your pedalboard? no, but they can be really useful. i wouldnt want to be without one but it really depends on what you play.
>>
>>53652082
They're little beasts man. I was skeptical of them too. Great for what they are. Hybrid technology has come along way

>>53652109
I use it on my clean channels and for my bass to stop volume spikes, on distorted channels I don't use it because distortion.overdrive itself creates enough compression.

Not necessary but definitely useful
>>
>>53652295
>Hybrid technology has come along way
what? its exactly the same as it was in the 60s
>>
>>53652319
It definitely sounds a lot better, the Orange terrors are great for little Lunchbox practice amps without sounding like a turd
>>
>>53652295
well, worst case its a nice little practice amp. and its only $150 new, such a good price.
been wanting a tiny terror for ages but just have never gotten round to it, the micro's price is a whole lot easier to swallow
>>
>>53652365
>It definitely sounds a lot better
not really. go play an old music man amp or something. they sound great.
>>
File: Orange.jpg (574KB, 959x958px) Image search: [Google]
Orange.jpg
574KB, 959x958px
>>53652082

I have one. It's pretty good. Sounds kind of...fuzzy? I'm told that's what most orange amps sound like though.

I made a recording of it with cab IRs if you're curious, but it's honestly pretty rushed and mediocre and probably wouldn't give you a good idea of what it sounds like.

Definitely something you should try first, like most equipment.
>>
>>53652082
i like mine. the tone ciruit could have been designed better but its not a killer at the price they are.

>>53652543
i really dislike those 1x8 cabs. the head sounds great through other stuff though
>>
>>53652648
Its actually a CR12L amp converted to a cab out of boredom/curiosity.
>>
>>53652082
>i had a "hybrid" amp which sounded like ass
What amp? cuz really a SS power section isn't a big deal. It's not like you are getting that power amp distortion sound without the thing ultra cranked anyways
>>
>>53652717
it was one of the 06-07 vox valvetronix amps if i remember correctly. I didnt use it all that much, ended up selling it to a friend. just sounded way too thin and sterile, just completely devoid of life.
>>
>>53652851
ah. yea that was probably more of a function of it being cheap amp and a cheap speaker. dont be afraid of hybrid amps as a whole
>>
>>53652851
I always thought the Valvetronix were full Solid State? Plus they're made to be first amps with cheap speakers like a Line 6 Spider.
>>
File: 20150216_195435.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20150216_195435.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>Post gear
See the pikture:
Fender Mustang I V1.0
Xaviere Jazzmaster Custom
Boss TU-3
DOD Milk Box
Boss DD-3
Line 6 FM4
Mooer Lo-Fi Machine
DigiTech Whammy
Ibanez FZ7
Joyo Ultimate Drive
Boss PS-2
Boss DD-3
Line 6 DL4
Amp and Guitar in next post
>Post desired gear
Zvex Fuzz Factory, Expression Pedal, HOG, Pedal Power 2+
7-8 years
>Fav guitars?
Jazzmasters and First Act Customs
>Fav guitarists?
Nick Reinhart, Ed and John from Deerhoof, Dave Knudson, Justin Beck, Manny Ramirez, Robert Johnson, the folks from Toe
>Fav president?
Obama, Clinton, Lincoln
>Projects?
Several, tryna get some live gigs. Played "Lonely Boy" live for some friends

Got a pedalboard for my birthday today. Maybe I'll make a smaller pedalboard for bass, I'm saving up for a Fender Jaguar Deluxe Bass, the Hot Rod Red one with the matching headstock unf.
>>
File: 20150216_195520.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20150216_195520.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>53652985
Forgot to add, Ichirou Agata to my favorite guitarists. My rig and his rig are very similar. Playing style is totally different.
>>
>>53652985
how is the build quailty on the mooer?
>>
File: CAM00401.jpg (924KB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
CAM00401.jpg
924KB, 2560x1920px
College fag here. Just finished building a warmoth telemaster with texas special pickups, worked all summer for it. Not pictured is the shitty bass amp I play it through and a tubescreamer.
>>
>>53653044
Remarkable, stronger than my Joyo and MojoMojo. I try not to slam my effects too hard, so I don't have a good frame of reference for what "Hard Hitting" is. Sounds incredible though.
>>
I'm gassing for a really good delay, one that can do fucked up reverse shit too. Do I go for the TC Nova or the Eventide?
>>
>>53652925
nah, they're hybrids. I was really broke at the time, and had taken guitar up again and wanted to get a new amp. didnt have the patience to save up for the amp i actually wanted, learned my lesson there.

>>53652901
true, and as an anon said earlier hybrids have probably progressed since then. the whole experience left a really sour taste in my mouth, but when i saw the micro and how fuckin cute it looked i had to look into it.
>>
>>53653074
thats good to hear. i just dont like shitty wobbly knobs that some sub 100 dollar pedals come with
>>
File: Bush_guitar_answer_2_xlarge.jpg (20KB, 350x299px) Image search: [Google]
Bush_guitar_answer_2_xlarge.jpg
20KB, 350x299px
>>53650485
>Post gear
Squier Affinity Telecaster w/ Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates 'bucker in the neck - worn to shit but I love her
Squier VM Jazzmaster - cuz everyone needs a surf guitar
Squier Affinity Strat - cuz everyone needs a strat
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Epiphone Thunderbird Bass
Bugera V5
various Boss, Rogue, Ibanez, Morley, and DIY pedals
>Post desired gear
a good Gretsch hollowbody
more Teles
an ES-335
a DRRI or a hot rod deluxe
~6 years-ish, started on bass about a year before I started guitar
>Fav guitars?
Telecasters by far. Leo got it right the first time around
>Fav guitarists?
Jimi Hendrix
Duane Allman
Jerry Garcia
GE Smith
Brian Connelly of Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet
Chet Atkins
Clarence White
>Fav president?
pic unrelated, I just couldn't find a picture of Ronald Reagan or Abe Lincoln with a guitar
>Projects?
Im composing a few orchestral pieces/piano pieces as my other musical passion is classical music, but in the realm of guitar music, i'm writing a few surf tunes and country tunes
>>
>>53652985
>2 Boss DD-3s
>Boss PS-2
>Digitech Whammy
>Also Line 6 DL4

Seems redundant.
>>
>>53653228
The knobs are great, maybe just get a bit of white out for the top knobs because they're hard to see. Mine came painted by the original owner, it was nice.
My only concern is that the knob is easy to accidentally turn, I guess I'm just sloppy with my footwork.
>>
File: sunburst 2 - Copy.jpg (531KB, 1176x1152px) Image search: [Google]
sunburst 2 - Copy.jpg
531KB, 1176x1152px
I didn't like my pickguard so I decided to change it. I'm a sucker for carbon fiber things but after seeing the prices for one, I decided to make my own using 3m vinyl. I think it came out bitchin
>>
>>53653258
Brother you don't even know how half that shit works.
>One DD-3 as a ring modulator
>Another as a typical delay
>PS-2 I use for pitch shifting, chorus, and oscillation
>DL4 for looping.
I use delay a lot and I use it creatively, get on my level.
>>
>>53653278
not really my taste but thats pretty cool. good job
>>
What are some ways to gently troll a newb guitarist? My muse is usually good at this shit but I'm burned out from shitposting on here.
>>
So I'm picking up a Scheter Demon 7. 7 string advice?
>>
>>53653291
That's fair friend, I was hoping you weren't just using the same pedals and effects to do the same things.

How is the PS-2? I would like to add it to my board, but I haven't bite the bullet on the price.
>>
>>53653481
If you want crazy, it'll do crazy. Every day I figure out something new to do with it, so definitely buy it, but don't buy it for more than 120 used. I got mine for 50 shipped. And by the by I wasn't trying to be hostile, just being facetious.
>>
>>53653458
Not much I can give you on advice, it'll take some getting used to with the extra string but you should get there
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.