[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mac Demarco

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

File: old-guitar.jpg (56KB, 600x395px) Image search: [Google]
old-guitar.jpg
56KB, 600x395px
This man restored my faith in music. He's bringing back the guitar and innovating with it, making music REAL again. I sure hope he doesn't go mainstream.
>>
File: rly.jpg (12KB, 300x220px) Image search: [Google]
rly.jpg
12KB, 300x220px
>He's bringing back the guitar and innovating with it
>I sure hope he doesn't go mainstream
>>
>>53495845
>bringing back
no

>innovating
no

>REAL
maybe

>mainstream
fuck off

Salad Days was my literal AOTY, and I still hate your fucking guts.
>>
>playing chords with a capo and chorus, reverb and shit effects
>innovating
>>
>>53495845
>implying he isn't mainstream
>implying quality of music deteriorates just because it is mainstream
OP is a try hard faggot
>>
>>53495958
>playing chords

Have you ever heard his music? He plays slinky arpeggios will skillful fills and then also plays very melodic leads in a separate channel. If absolutely nothing else, Mac is a cool guitar player. Stop trying so hard.

Lyrics - mediocre
Themes - not very strong
Musicianship - high-tier rhythm and very strong leads

Mac is an artist, not a meme.
>>
>>53496057
>>53496036
>>53495892
Mac is a great artist
OP is a dickshit
>>
>>53496057
>Mac is an artist, not a meme.
I would agree with you in the 2 hype thread. Not anymore. He ruined himself by making a mediocre follow-up and adapting the "goofy" image.
>>
>>53495845
>innovating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8oS_B6IaKE
>>
>>53495845
we youtube comments now?
>>
File: 1399147395624.jpg (13KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
1399147395624.jpg
13KB, 250x251px
>>53496057
>He plays slinky arpeggios will skillful fills and then also plays very melodic leads in a separate channel.
>>
Why do you guys like to tote around your shallow taste like it's something worthwhile? Why do you guys spend your mother and father's money on vinyl LP's by musicians like Mac DeMarco, Animal Collective, Ariel Pink, St. Vincent, Death Grips and Run The Jewels? Why are you all so reluctant to move past the surface and peel pack the superficial veneer of pop music to reveal actual art music? Why do you choose to consider yourself to have taste when in reality your love of music is simply cosmetic? Anyone who is a naysayer to this school of thought is cast out to make more room for the Friendly Music Lover.

>inb4 >implying your taste in music is objective

I'm sure when it comes down to it you like mostly enjoy music that's straightforward as opposed to music that works towards presenting the subconscious mind on a visceral level of sound. I'm sure you like your music without ephemeral context and straightforward ideas and messages. It's safe to you, it's something you're familiar with.

Though the music the majority of you listen to is pop, digestible, and marketable, you still believe that it gives you some sort of agency in discussing it from an enlightened and open-minded point of view. You reel at the thought of the Evil Hipster working against your motive of enjoying what you believe to be substantial art. Personally, I believe you have no agency in conversations about art music (or music at all for that matter) because you are accepting and consuming what saccharine byproducts your favorite musician creates and accepting that to be your meal.

>inb4 bait

Are you so glued to your safe forms of consuming music that any outsider challenging you is considered insane? Do you really think that nobody can present these thoughts to you in a serious light? It's ultimately sad that you choose to silence people that you could learn something from.
>>
>>53496118
Are you daft? His band only plays with him during live performances. He plays every instrument on his records.
>>
>>53495845
but he already is mainstream
>>
File: Porque.jpg (43KB, 335x392px) Image search: [Google]
Porque.jpg
43KB, 335x392px
>>53496123
Hey anon, why not enjoy both?
>>
lol everyone taking the bait in this one
>>
>>53496362
Because I'd rather listen to something engaging and meaningful.
>>
>>53496092
It's just a cover, those synth sounds are crappy anyways
>>
>>53496407
You've gotta understand the cultural significance of popular acts regardless of your taste. It may not be accessible to your patrician taste but the musicality is there, the impact is there, the talent is there.
>>
>>53496485
my nygga. kyll your self ryght qyck
>>
>>53496123
this. i fucking hate all the faggots who say "lol this is b8" when you imply there is more to msuic than sounding good or being enjoyable
>>
>>53496523
That immediate resistance to discussion is whats killing /mu/
>>
>>53496523
>there is more to msuic than sounding good or being enjoyable

We live in an era where a kid can spend 13 minutes on a song and put it on the internet. This, of course, does not guarantee that the music produced will not be moving, cathartic, powerful, thoughtful, engaging, transcendental, or rewardingly challenging, but the odds certainly are not good.

That's why people are starting to question outsider music in 2015. It has nothing to do with "lol, you guys like nice sounds, what plebs!"... we're questioning the type of music that questions popular music! It's post-modern Poptimism bro!

When you learn how to fuck with sound on your DAW, or learn an obscure instrument (marimba, 23 Skidoo shit), or come to master a motorik drumbeat, or create insane fucking sounds with guitar pedals or synths, or get crazy good at classical piano - you can then turn your back on all of that knowledge and write 'art' music.

But that's where I'm at. When I hear a lot of the Patrician shit from the last century, I realize how much I love being able to appreciate art from the periphery of culture, and I too embrace being an 'outsider'. But it is not DIFFICULT to make music that is CHALLENGING. In fact, it's significantly easier to say 'what, you don't like the way my music sounds? fuck you lol, that's the point!" and put yourself on some pedestal like you've found the true meaning of life and god speaks through your art.

It's bullshit.

Genuine song craft is a gift bestowed on very few people in this world. If someone has the power to speak the universal language of popular music and can still use it to control a moment with their art, then that to me is just as much a success as someone who confounds the structures of pop music and tests the listeners patience/beliefs about music.

tl; dr I make avant-garde music in my bedroom and can play upwards of 10 instruments, but I could never write a song half as sweet, sincere, and as fun as a guy like Mac DeMarco.
>>
>>53497837
this kinda rekt me tbh
>>
>>53497837
ummm... I think demarco fans are evolving
>>
>>53496123
God I hope this is bait and no one is pretentious and stupid enough to post this here non-ironically. I'm sure there's room on this board for the music you enjoy as well as Mac Demarco's. If you want to discuss something else, make a thread about it instead of trying to shit up a thread about a musician you don't care for. People won't take you seriously if all you try to do is derail threads - you're debasing your own viewpoint.
>>
>>53495845
He's not innovative at all

Infact alot of his songs are a direct rip of something from the dad rock era

He's good though but I wouldn't notice or be affected if his music disappeared

King krule is more innovative and unique
>>
lost my faith in mac the day i heard salad days.

how anyone can listen to that and not think its a step down from 2 is beyond me.
>>
>>53495845
>W R O N G, G E N E R A T I O N
>R
>O
>N
>G

>G
>E
>N
>E
>R
>A
>T
>I
>O
>N
>>
>fallin for the b8
>>
>>53498317
I personally find it way the fuck better. Lyrically, no. But his guitar work just keeps improving and chord progressions were far more evolved. He's been practicing his theory m8, it's a pretty clear evolution.

But yeah, Ode to Viceroy was more my speed. Loved how off-kilter it was. He's more polished now, and it's only going to continue.
>>
>>53496523
>i fucking hate all the faggots who say "lol this is b8"

but anon, it literally is b8, it's a copypasta

i mean there is some amount of validity in it (a large amount of /mu/ stays in a very small musical bubble) but it is literally b8
>>
>>53495845
memerock
>>
>>53495845
Not sure if b8 but in any case i r8 8/8

I do like Mac a lot though his music is fun and charming
>>
>>53497837
I like pop music too :)
>>
LITERALLY
DAD INDIE
You'll be listening to this one when you're 50 and bald and drinking hard liquor in a recliner.
>>
>>53500688
I hope so. Such comfy music.

If Mac makes music at 23 years old that people will still be listening in 30 years, then hasn't he won?
>>
I guess this is just a shitposting thread, but I finally listened to some of his & Makeout Videotape's stuff (Ying Yang, Bossa Yeye, Eyeballing, Rock and Roll Night Club) and was really impressed. Love the hooks and guitar sounds on Ying Yang. Rock and Roll Night Club feels like an album I've dreamed about or something. The warbled 80s pop sound is kind of hilarious to me. Have yet to listen to 2 or Salad Days but I hope it's as good as this early stuff.

Also
>innovation
Who fucking cares, nobody's truly innovating with anything anymore
>>
can someone tell me what qualifies an artist as mainstream?
>>
>>53496503
>fallyn' for the bayt
>>
shut the fuck up he is doing absolutely nothing new you bonehead

hes just bringing 90s-2000s dad rock in with a different context so fucking fags like you think its fresh you dipshit

shut the fuck up
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.