[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is electronic a genre?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

File: 1422635838671.png (287KB, 648x540px) Image search: [Google]
1422635838671.png
287KB, 648x540px
Is electronic a genre?
>>
>>53436172
But Scaruffi literally is a random blogger and Fantano literally is a /mu/tant with a camera.
>>
theres no such thing as a "genre"
>>
You can consider "electronic" to be a very, very broad genre, but it's better to consider it as an umbrella term. Electronic genres include techno, house, breakbeat and many others, more or less debatable (IDM is sometimes disputed; trip hop and synthpop may or may not be considered electronic, etc).

Only use "electronic" when you really can't classify a particular album (it happens).

And never, ever use "electronica" unless you want to troll.
>>
>>53436277
>>
>>53436172
yes obviously

>>53436277
>>53436399
lmao
>>
>>53436277
>>53436399
only pitchfork BNM
>>
>>53436367
'electronica' is for all microgenres, edm, and idm
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (18KB, 1280x720px)
maxresdefault.jpg
18KB, 1280x720px
>>53436245
Yeah I say that too.

Am I a turny?
>>
>>53436569
yee
>>
Yes. It only has 4 subgenres: House, Techno, IDM and Breaks.
>>
>>53436172
why do people on this board give turny so much attention
>>
>>53436172
same way as "rock" is a genre
>>
>>53437165
turny probably made this thread himself
>>
>>53437165
Been here a long time and has interesting taste, dunno
>>
>>53436172
Nah, it's a medium

just like "guitar" is not a genre

>>53437194
No

Rock music is not made with rocks (in most cases). Electronic music is made electronically, and if it isn't, it's not "electronic". Rock music can be made without a guitar, it just usually isn't.

>>53436277
A genre is a description (indirectly) of music. Unless you think you can't describe music then there is such a thing as a genre.
>>
>>53437473
>A genre is a description (indirectly) of music
post-rock says hello. you're a retard.
>>
>>53437564
Do you know what indirectly means?
>>
>>53437564
>rock
>short for rock n roll
>the phrase "rocking and rolling" originally described the movement of a ship on the ocean,[15] but was used by the early twentieth century, both to describe the spiritual fervor of black church rituals

>post
>after rock n roll, an extension
>Post-rock is a subgenre of rock music characterized by the influence and use of instruments commonly associated with rock, but using rhythms and "guitars as facilitators of timbre and textures" not traditionally found in rock.
>>
>>53436172
>list goes on meme
I literally made this up like last year, is this seriously considered by you fags as a meme now?
>>
>>53437646
>last year
kek
>>
>>53437473
>Nah, it's a medium
Do you know what genre means?
>>
>>53437675
ye
>>
>>53437640
>Post-rock is a subgenre of rock music characterized by the influence and use of instruments commonly associated with rock, but using rhythms and "guitars as facilitators of timbre and textures" not traditionally found in rock.
AKA post-rock is just prog-rock for hipsters
>>
>>53437473
>i am literally autistic
"guitar music" could be a genre
>>
>>53437667
2014 was last year
or am I just retarded and this was already a thing
I have a habit of being retarded, sometimes
>>
>>53437826
Yes, its been around for many years.
>>
>>53437729
no it can't you dingus
>>
>>53437886
>Electronic music is made electronically, and if it isn't, it's not "electronic"

Guitar music is made with guitars, and if it isn't, it's not "guitar music".
>>
>>53437933
no shit

except guitar music isn't a goddamn genre

did you even read the post you're quoting?
>>
>>53438012
yes i did. we were attempting to establish what a genre is and whether or not electronic music is a genre.

except electronic music isn't a goddamn genre.
>>
>>53438068
so now you're agreeing with me

glad we're on the same page

guitar music =/= genre
electronic music =/= genre
>>
>>53438147
i was trying to turn their reasoning against them. sorry, thought you were one of them.
>>
>>53438196
why don't all boards have ID's again?

who gives a fuck about this unique posters shit
>>
>>53438147
Not really an equal comparison as the guitar is only one instrument whereas electronic implies keyboards, synths, turntables, mixes, drum machines, samplers, macbooks, theremin, mp3 decks etc
>>
>>53438012
>except guitar music isn't a goddamn genre
why not? choral music is a genre, chamber music is a genre, electronic music is a genre, why ain't guitar music a genre?
>>
>>53438266
exactly, which is why string music would be the more correct therm

but even then string music is extremely vague compared to electronic music, hence we have to resort to the broader and older acoustic music

and plenty of people do use acoustic music as a genre
>>
>>53438267
electronic music and guitar music are not a genre. as a nominal category they reveal very little about the music and it's subgenres. it's not specific enough. from 'electronic music' and 'guitar music' we'd find out very little about the music itself, other than "there's guitars" and "it's made electronically".

if you recognised the proper genres, you would become more accustomed to fundamental differences between them. thus your knowledge of the music itself would also increase. and if you're not even interested in 'electronic music' then why force this ignorant perspective on people who do care?
>>
>>53438448
just because it's vague does not mean it's no longer a genre anon
>>
>>53436172
>caring about using the label electronic
>yet still happily using the label classical
>>
>>53438469
but then what's the point of having genres at all? you do realise there's an abundance of differences between the actual genres? you cannot seriously think that jungle and industrial techno are the same. basing a genre off a certain instrument used results in several other key characteristics of the music receiving no mention.
>>
>>53438547
>but then what's the point of having genres at all
good question
>>
>>53438547
>>53438583
To differentiate and ease exploration of the huge array of music from traditional Mongolian throat singing to crunkcore.
>>
>>53438547
Is jungle music an acoustic genre?
>>
>>53438492
+1
>>
File: dance music.png (3MB, 1638x1246px) Image search: [Google]
dance music.png
3MB, 1638x1246px
>>
>>53438583
so you propose we should just call it music? even though various structural, conceptual and cultural-historical differences exist?
>>
>>53438630
jungle is a bleep bloop genre since saying it's electronic like so many people do causes lots of butthurt on /mu/
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.