[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What kind of band are you in, /mu/? >Pic related- indie rock

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 10

What kind of band are you in, /mu/?

>Pic related- indie rock with lots of genre shifts mid-song
>>
garage pop
>>
>>53211271
i do free improv with two guys where my main input is i have spaghetti western samples played with a random number generator then i manipulate them live. one dude percusses and the other plays something different almost every time. he can play like 27 instruments pretty well.

we call ourselves the Alfonso Sancha Quintet.
>>
I'm in a avant-garde garage prog band right now. We sound like a blackened version of Can.

>>53211450
Patrician.
>>
File: IMG_36609783120120.jpg (38KB, 425x425px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_36609783120120.jpg
38KB, 425x425px
Death metal.
>>
>>53211271
the guitarist looks spooky
>>
I ain't in a band yet, but when I am, I want it to sound like a cross of The Dismemberment Plan and Jesu.
>>
psychedelic folk
>>
Noise.
I plug an auxiliary line in cable into an amp and rub RCA's together and my friend manipulates the feedback.
>>
shoegaze hip hop

i know
>>
>>53211271
I'm in a math-rock band and a black metal band.
Just working on recording stuff now with the math rock band and hopefully starting doing shows soon.
>>
F U N K
U
N
K
>>
Record myself shitting and sample all the fart noises and plop sound into hip-hop and trap beats
>>
synth pop, drum & bass, folk, psychedelic, avant.
>>
bedroom pop

lo-fi rock with catchy hooks
>>
Reggae, ska, rock and roll. Sounds worse than it is. We don't fuck around.
>>
>>53211674
Just a heads up, if you sound anything like Hella, Tera Melos, or TTNG then you sound like ass
>>
>>53211324
>>53211749
I swear, you [reverb intensifies] faggots are the worst. LEARN HOW TO PRODUCE.
>>
>>53211848
what
>>
I play classic piano and currently am learning how to sing. I wouldn't like to be in a band, though. But being a singer/songwriter looks pretty cool.
>>
>>53211848
pls don't make fun of my aesthetic
>>
>>53211271

Idk man fuck. I make lo-fi black music / chamber pop / shoegaze with my childhood best friend and basically brother.

Shit works out nicely because we both always played a bunch of instruments and had identical music tastes.

We need to start playing live, tho. some niggas at uva where he goes are lookin to play with us, and definitely more ppl once we, and a bunch of niggas we know from around the state, all transfer to vcu but yeah im restless rn. we're bussin demo after demo, i just wanna get out and play, ya know?

>>53211848
yeah i feel ya, but some are legitimately good. it's just, most arent...at all.
>>
I'm in a bluegrass band

Also, does every single town in the world have a venue called the underground
>>
Not really sure. I can sing and play rhythm guitar. A friend of mine is a great lead guitarist, and another is a great drummer. When I jam with the guitarist we kinda just do 90s alt stuff, but when I jam with the drummer we just do hardcore. They both want to do a music project and my personality gels with both of them, but they haven't met yet. I'm really into post-hardcore, noise rock, jangle pop, and gothic rock, the drummer is into hardcore and pizzacore, and the guitarist is into death metal. There's or a ton of common ground, but I guess given the commonalities between these types of music it'll probably sound heavy and alternative-ish.
>>
>>53212495
*there's NOT a lot of common ground
Fixed
>>
>>53211848
>implying any of us have the money to afford better recording setups
>implying lo-fi isn't rad as hell

Also since I'm in this thread anyway, my best friend and I write a mix of genres together, some prog. rock, some doom metal and heavy metal, with scattered acoustic jams
>>
>>53211271
im in some slam metal band called parasitical vivisection
>>
>>53211662
okay. Need to hear this.
>>
>>53211271
i am technically in a band but we haven't jammed in almost a year, the other member is still totally cool with recording though, so I guess the band is still alive

we're both inspired by 90's rock and post-rock, he's quite into post-punk / funk, and I'm into skramz. and I really try to integrate all kinds of genres into the mix, like arabic music, celtic music... he plays the drums and the bass, I've got another friend who plays bass but he lives further away, and I play the guitar and piano. my mother also plays violin but haven't asked her to play with me, might want to at some point tbh

at this point it's more ideas than concrete things
>>
neo-folk
>>
>>53212644
dude we suck you really don't want to
>>
>>53212752
just hit me with it
>>
>>53212798
I'm sorry m8 I'm not going to let /mu/ hear me spitting hot fireā„¢
>>
>>53211844
Nah, I can't think of any examples of bands similar to our instrumentals, but our vocals are more on the emo side.

But I do like all of those bands.
>>
>>53211271
>not drone/krautrock-influenced indie rock
>>
I play drums for a Texas rock and blues band. It's a fun little gig and keeps me busy outside of school.

My buddy drums in a bunch of rock groups.
One of his new groups released this a few days ago
http://pelicrane.bandcamp.com/releases
>>
>>53212495
Having a metalhead guitarist, a hardcore drummer, and a noise rock/goth singer could turn out really well, me thinks
>>
I sound like At The Drive In, Glassjaw, Radiohead, Deerhoof, HEALTH, The Dismemberment Plan, and Rega all had a round-table meeting on the perfect way to make a poorly-produced rock album.
And apparently people like it, I get a small trickle of listeners on soundcloud and bandcamp, people say nice things about it. I think it gets looked over because people think any and all m/u/ rock artists are those REVERB MAXIMIZES pieces of shit.
I don't think any of my current releases have any reverb on them, like at all.
>>
I wish I was in a rock and roll band.
>>
>>53211848
C'mon man it's not fair to generalize like that, people do take the reverb-over-everything too far sometimes (usually when they're using it as a crutch to cover avoidable mistakes up) but there is some brilliant stuff that falls pretty comfortably under the "bedroom pop" genre.

Anyway speaking of bedroom pop that is also my "band" although it's mostly just me. When I record Big Projects (like albums) I'll call on some friends to help out with instruments that I can't play, but I am a control freak and enjoy writing all the parts myself and think the method suits the style of music pretty well. I do have a producer (in a broad sense of the word) that I work with pretty closely on just about everything and I would really like to be in a band with at least a drummer and a bassist (ideally with another guitarist and everyone can sing), but I live in a tiny apartment and also just don't really have time to be in a band right now.
>>
I was the drummer in a dadrock cover band when I was 16. Now I just play alone in the darkness of my room recording whatever shitty ideas I have on my shitty squier guitar connected to my shitty laptop which has shitty recording abilities, shitty ideas that will never actually be full fucking songs just files on my computer right beside my shitty memes folder.
>>
>>53211538
you probably sound like a shitty version of shit
>>
>>53213255
I PUTT MY TRUUUUUUSSST IIIN YOOOOU
>>
>>53213369
I love that song. Closer is much better than Unknown Pleasures.
>>
File: attention.jpg (3KB, 125x117px) Image search: [Google]
attention.jpg
3KB, 125x117px
>>
>>53213369
PUSHED AS FAR AS I CAN GO
>>
>>53213616
2spook
>>
>>53213635
I just love Linkin Park man
>>
Noisy post-punk, Pitchfork recently reviewed us and they were into our new LP. Kinda nice considering that this is what we're all fucking deadset on doing.
>>
>>53213659
Fuck off Mr. Skeletal
>>
>>53213695
viet cong?
>>
>>53213731
Yeah, I play drums.
>>
>>53213731
More like Viet Bong amiritehehe or also Viet Dong man I'm on fire today
>>
>>53213701
Chill man I'm not a skeleton I don't know what you're talking about
>>
>>53211271
>the underground

As in the underground near Cincinnati?
>>
I mainly do distorted synth, virtual theremin, and tape loops on a slightly smashed boombox for an experimental noise pop/rock band along with setting up visuals and shit.
>>
>>53211324
are you Mozes and the Firstborn?
>>
>>53213753
viet schlong
>>
>>53213339
If your idea of shit is improvised psychedelic black metal than yeah.
>>
>>53213777
OP here. No, it's in the basement of one of the buildings on my college campus in the midwest somewhere.
>>
I'm a solo keyboardist at the moment, mainly working in symphonic electro-prog. My live gigs are mixtures of original material, covers of 70s prog and electronica (such as The Cinema Show by Genesis and Oxygene 6 by Jean-Michel Jarre), and off-the-wall performances of random songs that I like (including the Neon Genesis Evangelion theme, and an ironic electro song that combines When I'm Cleaning Windows by George Formby, the Dead Flag Blues, and "I Wear My Dad's Dirty Socks" by Tim and Eric).

I've had guest appearances with several of the other bands on the local college circuit (including a psychedelic jam band that only played 2 shows, and a funk rock outfit where I dressed up as Barry Spaggot). But I'm still not in a proper band yet.
>>
File: tim.jpg (21KB, 164x203px) Image search: [Google]
tim.jpg
21KB, 164x203px
>>53214776
>>
>>53214805
Oh, ya think that last one's a goof and a spoof?
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1BM0WTVnjHV
>>
>>53212987
>http://pelicrane.bandcamp.com/releases
that sounds great mate, jammin' to it right now. Tell your friend i said hi
>>
>>53214371
Viet Chonged
>>
File: 1417454270414.jpg (138KB, 902x600px) Image search: [Google]
1417454270414.jpg
138KB, 902x600px
Dream punk
>>
>>53214319
no
>>
Lo-fi experimental indie rock/pop, think Car Seat Headrest or some of The Microphones stuff but more on the folky side of things.
>>
>>53213747
proof
>>
>>53216128
both great bands, do you guys have stuff out? bandcamp?
>>
post punk with cliche elements of gothic rock/shoegaze/post rock

it's fun.
>>
>>53211271

>2015
>being in a band

why bother trying to get four assholes in a room together at the same time, let a lone getting four people in the same room at the same time to make MUSIC when you can just do it all yourself?
>>
>>53211538
>blackened version of Can
Aluk Todolo?
>>
>>53216797
more fun
>>
Basically American ladrock. I play bass. We're doing our first gig m8 on Valentines Day
>>
Were trying to make some bluegrass type stuff, also maybe some folk. We're also gonna make little interludes and bumpers of some funny smooth jazz or almost Vaporwave type stuff for intros, outros, and segues.

We don't take ourselves very seriously
>>
>>53211271
Post-alt-avante-progressive-jazz-fusion
>>
>>53216797
because some people are not asshole and can cintribute to the music you're making.
>>
>>53211271
Don't go out dressed like that
>>
Floral Metal/Bubblegum Punk
>>
>>53216797
>>53217411
Basically this. The definition of what a band can be capable of producing should change as well, since everyone in any given band should be able to bring in their own world of sounds.
>>
File: 1382746110686.gif (2MB, 298x317px) Image search: [Google]
1382746110686.gif
2MB, 298x317px
>>53212495
>pizzacore

wtf. fuck music if this is actually a thing.
>>
>>53217884
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bqs_ommimY
>>
>>53217411

>not being a megalomaniac auteur

step it up.
>>
Like a mix between Jeff Buckley and Keaton Henson
>>
I'm starting to make alternative hiphop. But its nothing major at all, I've only made lyrics so far.

I wish I knew how to produce, but I guess I just gotta start fucking around.
>>
>>53218372
>>
>>53216797
I have a band where it is very difficult to get everybody together to practice/work on new material, so I had to take the reigns and be sort of the 'leader' of the group. I record by myself, but I'm really only good what I do within the band - vocals, rhythm, basic chord progressions/song structure - trying to do everything myself when I know I have more capable bandmates makes me want to jump off a bridge.

I've been working on a 5 song EP for 4 months already, the parts my bandmates recorded aren't really strong enough so I've been trying to fix it and play my parts/come up with new ideas and it is fucking excruciating. Any tips to keep me from going insane? I'm not even finished one full song yet.
>>
>>53217884
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmgq81Ww7K4
>>
>>53218472
:( i don't think my music sounds that bad
>>
>>53218550

Only advice I can give from experience is just work work work on it, as much as you possibly can. If you are a student or unemployed then this should be quite reasonable. I recently had a week off work and didn't leave my room or even speak to my flatmates. They thought I was suicidal or something, but I was just working on my shit and trying to get better.

Also try to spend free time (within reason) doing something that will somehow help you with your music. i.e. watching recording/mixing tutorials instead of funny videos on youtube.

Bounce some unfinished tracks and put them on your ipod so you can listen to them wherever you go - ideas often come from strange environments.

That's just me though.
>>
I do bossa covers of things that need bossa covers.
>>
>>53218610

I'm sure it's good, but those influences...

just kiddin', it's your opinion and your art don't let me stop ya.
>>
>>53218782

can you hit me up with some good how to play etc. bossa tutorials, i want dat in my life
>>
I make snoop dog tracks and remix old g unit tracks. It pAys the bills
>>
File: 1422178111006.gif (1MB, 276x260px) Image search: [Google]
1422178111006.gif
1MB, 276x260px
>>53211271
INDIE
ROCK
ISN'T
A
FUCKING
GENRE

also:
>plaid shorts
>>
>>53218751

P.S. Forgot to add that this might not help in regards to keeping your sanity, but definitely will in regards to your muzak.
Thread posts: 97
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.