[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>my music is better than yours because there's real instruments

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1

File: 1377652948618.jpg (110KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1377652948618.jpg
110KB, 600x600px
>my music is better than yours because there's real instruments

How can I counter this?
>>
>>52992961
its true though
>>
>>52992961
you can't
>>
>>52992961
remind them that synths also exist in the world and are real
>>
>>52992961
Instruments have changed so much over time that arguing over which ones are "Real" is fucking stupid.
Is an Oboe more "real" than a Guitar?
>>
explain to them that a fucking monkey can noodle around on a guitar and eventually be okay but that things like mixing every instrument in a song or creating synth textures are super fuckin tricky and require more practice, dedication, and musical understanding than a 'real' instrument ever could demand
>>
>>52992961
meme or buzzword the fucker to death that will show him
>>
>>52992961
The synthesizer is a real instrument.
>>
Pointless trying to argue with that type of person, they typically listen to metal anyway so who cares about their opinion?
>>
>>52992961
it cant be countered. real instruments have far more timbral, dynamic coloristic possibilities, not to mention the infinite extended techniques and subtleties that a human performer give.

combine these instruments with the possibilities of synthesizers and computers, and you have a master class of music.
for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFncet5VHRs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py5Vk90ZTak
>>
Tell them that music is just sounds, and ask them why it matters where the sounds come from.
>>
>>52992961
respond with the fact that instruments are just tools that create sound and that electronic ones can create an infinite array of them and that guitars are extremely limited in comparison
>>
Laptops, keyboards, drum machines etc ARE instruments.
>>
get a moog or korg and strut your stuff
>>
>Well good for you...

seriously, just let them think what they want and you make the best music you can
>>
>>52993015
>timbral, dynamic coloristic possibilities
synthesizers can cover more sound and range than any other instrument ever.
>>
>>52993043
says someone who has no idea of the possibilities of a real instrument.
can a synth do this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7Gzrake8nI
>>
>>52993023
i mean ofc pedals exist to change sounds and you can mix and match to make new ones but still, its nowhere near the possibilities of electronic instruments
>>
At some point you have to realize that people won't change their minds no matter what you say to them. As the great Neal Peart says
Turn your back and walk away
Don't even pause and ask them why
Turn around and say goodbye
>>
>>52993059
there are a shit ton of pretentious snyth players so yea
>>
>>52993059
sure, why not. can that cello span the range of human hearing? can i change its harmonic structure? can i input more variance than an human could possibly fluctuate on? shit, can it distort its self beyond heavy playing? can it play more than 4 notes at once?

look i know youre trolling but if you compare one good instrument to a good synth, the variance in tones it can make is so sided to a synth
>>
reminder that analog synths are real instruments
>>
>>52993059
you mean make haunted boat sounds yah ofc
>>
>>52992961
Is this in reference to hip-hop, electronic music, or what? The only response I can really think of that might work (specifically if the guy is hating on sampling) is that composers do not play every instrument within an orchestra, but merely dictate how the sounds will align themselves. In this sense, the work electronic musicians (and the sampling/production in hip hop) is much like the work of classical composers (namedrop any you think the person in question might like); simply arranging different sounds together to create a work of art.

If what he/she means is that the actual quality of music increases because of the instruments in question (a guitar versus say, a synthesiser) then it's kind of a hard point to argue; most people who hold this kind of view are too arrogant or stubborn to concede anything. At the end of the day it honestly doesn't matter, because they're only limiting the amount of music they can enjoy with their close-minded approach and its really their loss.
>>
>>52993059
im on the other side of the field but still that was beautiful
>>
>>52993259
here, have some spooky cello nonsense and synths
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgguq2zVFNs
>>
>>52993001

You have never played a real instrument properly have you?

I bet you say you can play guitar but you only know the basic chords.
>>
>>52992961

Well he is right. Say what ever you want but performing live with computer only instruments is shit tier.
>>
>>52992961
why are you bothering to talk to a musical illiterate ?

is it your dad?

don't bother arguing with your dad over this.
>>
>>52993307
seriously. i hate when guitarists use pedals
>>
MUH REAL INSTRUMENTS
MUH GEETAR

seriously fuck these faggots.
>>
>>52992961
The literal definition of a musical instrument is any device made or adapted to produce music. Anything that makes sound can be an instrument, including the computers and synthesizers that this type of person believes to be invalid instruments. In short, there is no such thing as a "fake" instrument.
>>
>>52993331
This girl who's my closest friend (don't have many close friends) she's one of those annoying tumblr girls who wears loose fitting hippy clothes, bandanas, etc. But in reality is just a typical dumb girl. she likes the grateful dead, pink Floyd and other 70s rock n roll bands.
>>
>>52993414
what's her name, may i ask?
>>
>>52993472
michelle

u know someone like this?
>>
>>52993560
If she's hot, just agree with her
>>
>>52993560
yeah, i too had a friend who was exactly like this. sorta weird how some people just fit into a common caricature.
>>
>>52993043
It's extremely time consuming and inefficient to build anything even close to the complexity of an acoustic instrument.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.