[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Mfw someone unironically tells me The Beatles were the most

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

File: school.jpg (59KB, 522x583px) Image search: [Google]
school.jpg
59KB, 522x583px
>Mfw someone unironically tells me The Beatles were the most important or influential artists of the 20th century
>>
They were.
>>
dub city lmao
>>
>>52833688
ayyyyy
>>
File: 1419032724157.gif (4KB, 555x45px) Image search: [Google]
1419032724157.gif
4KB, 555x45px
>>52833688
nice
>>
>>52833638
because they were
>>
Maybe there were more influential artists from the 20th century but there isn't a BAND more influential than the beatles.
>>
>>52833688
nice
>>
>>52833660
>>52833717
>Le b8 xD
>>
File: stockhausen in sgt peppers.jpg (834KB, 2436x1550px) Image search: [Google]
stockhausen in sgt peppers.jpg
834KB, 2436x1550px
>>52833660
>>52833717
>Schonberg
>Strauss
>Cage
>Stravinsky
>Bartok
>Stockhausen
>Pierre Schaeffer

NEWSFLASH: The beatles themselves were influenced by people.

popular =/= important or influential.
The Beatles started pop music and unwittingly the popular music industry. you should be ashamed
>>
>>52833769
not b8 m8
>>
>>52833688
Good Kid D.U.U.B City
>>
>>52833769
They actually were
>>
>>52833789
>The Beatles are the great mediator between serious music and popular music
-Karlheinz Stockhausen
>>
File: csLq5zm.jpg (476KB, 651x3146px) Image search: [Google]
csLq5zm.jpg
476KB, 651x3146px
>>52833638
Fucking wrong generationers.
>>
>>52833789
>The beatles started pop music
11:53 pm and that's the stupidest thing I've read today. Do you think lazy people who don't have the time or inclination to digest even slightly challenging music would magically enjoy it if nobody was making shallow catchy pop songs?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQS91wVdvYc
>>
>>52833789
>popular =/= important or influential.
Luckily The Beatles were all three.
>>
The Beatles adapted their music to suit the styles in fashion: doo-wop, garage-rock, psychedelia, country-rock. Very few bands changed style so drastically from year to year. Perhaps they began to feel obsolete listening to Cream. Cream concerts were the first musical phenomenon in Great Britain to rival Beatlemania. Cream did all they could to make the Merseybeat sound terribly old, precisely what the Beatles had done to the sound of Elvis Presley. In 1969, Led Zeppelin changed completely the importance of radio and charts. [Led Zeppelin is the first enormously successful band whose album did not get any air play on AM radio (only FM) and whose songs did not make the singles charts. The change they brought about was significant because it shifted the importance of the charts from singles to albums. -Translator's Note] Since they used melody as a lever, the Beatles had a relatively easy time in following every shift in fashion (psychedelia included), until hard-rock - the antithesis of Beatlemania - came about. Suddenly the idol was no longer the singer but the instrument, the excitement was generated by the riff and not by the refrain, concerts were attended by multitudes of long-haired men on drugs who gathered on the street, not by hysterical teenage girls who assembled in theaters. Hard-rock negated their simple melodies. It is not by coincidence that the arrival of hard-rock marked the end of the Beatles.
>>
>>52833850
>11:53 pm
it's 1:58 am you retard
>>
>>52833638
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7PzbJk7kBY
>>
Influential doesn't necessarily mean good. The Beatles were the most influential force on popular music in the 1960s and onwards. While they reflected a lot of the cultural change of the 60s, they most certainly did perpetuate, intensify and promote that change further, more than any other composer or group.
>>
>>52833961
see
>>52833924
>>
>>52833789
giant strawman
>>
>>52833924
>The Beatles adapted their music to suit the styles in fashion
Like jangle-pop, raga-rock and metal?
>>
>>52833826
pretty much this which is way trickier than just being math (12 toner) or just Jazzin on modes or snugly within tight Harmonic structures.
>>
>>52833985
Oh what instrument does he play again?
>>
>>52833789
>b8 the post
>>
>>52833837
THIS IS BAD
>>
It's hard to convey the scope of the Beatles' achievements in a mere paragraph or two. They synthesized all that was good about early rock & roll, and changed it into something original and even more exciting. They established the prototype for the self-contained rock group that wrote and performed its own material. As composers, their craft and melodic inventiveness were second to none, and key to the evolution of rock from its blues/R&B-based forms into a style that was far more eclectic, but equally visceral. As singers, both John Lennon and Paul McCartney were among the best and most expressive vocalists in rock; the group's harmonies were intricate and exhilarating. As performers, they were (at least until touring had ground them down) exciting and photogenic; when they retreated into the studio, they were instrumental in pioneering advanced techniques and multi-layered arrangements. They were also the first British rock group to achieve worldwide prominence, launching a British Invasion that made rock truly an international phenomenon.
>>
>>52833985

But the Beatles won that competition in the end didn't they. They came out on top.
>>
>>52833924
>>52833789
>>52833769
>>52833638
>I don't know what Exploding harmony is
>>
>>52833933
Holy shit buddy, I don't think it gets any more stupid then you eh? The time's obviously 8:51.
>>
Oceangrunge is objectively the best genre of the 21st century.
>>
>>52836094
>a genre mu just made up
>best of anything
>>
>"Keith liked the Beatles because he was quite interested in their chord sequences. He also liked their harmonies, which were always a slight problem to the Rolling Stones. Keith always tried to get the harmonies off the ground but they always seemed messy. What we never really got together were Keith and Brian singing backup vocals. It didn't work, because Keith was a better singer and had to keep going, oooh, ooh ooh (laughs). Brian liked all those oohs, which Keith had to put up with. Keith was always capable of much stronger vocals than ooh ooh ooh".
-Mic Jagger
>>
>"The Beatles were perfect for opening doors... When they went to America they made it wide open for us. We could never have gone there without them. They're so fucking good at what they did."
-Keith Richards
>>
>"I think "Eleanor Rigby" was a very important musical move forward. It certainly inspired me to write and listen to things in that vein"
-Pete Townshend of the Who
>>
>"I'm a pole smoking douche nugget"

-John Lennon
>>
>>52836537
wow what a pretentious cunt that john lennon
>>
>"The lift from the Beatles wouldn't have been conscious. Like every other band around at that time, bar none, we were hugely influenced by the Beatles. I'd never heard anything like them. The trick was to let your own voice come through as well."
-Rod Argent, The zombies
>>
>"They were doing things nobody was doing. Their chords were outrageous, just outrageous, and their harmonies made it all valid. They were pointing the direction music had to go."
>"They were fantastic singers. Lennon, to this day, it’s hard to find a better singer than Lennon was, or than McCartney was and still is."
>"I’m in awe of McCartney. He’s about the only one that I am in awe of. He can do it all. And he’s never let up... He’s just so damn effortless."
-Bob Dylan
>>
>"The Beatles were why we turned from a jug band into a rock 'n' roll band," said Bob Weir. "What we saw them doing was impossibly attractive. I couldn't think of anything else more worth doing"
-Bob Weir of the Grateful Dead
>>
>They were real important to everybody. They were a little model, especially the movies – the movies were a big turn-on. Just because it was a little model of good times. The Fifties were sure hurting for good times. And the early Sixties were very serious too – Kennedy and everything. And the Beatles were light and having a good time and they were good too, so it was a combination that was very satisfying on the artistic level, which is part of the scene that I was into – the art school thing and all that. The conscious thing of the artistic world, the Beatles were accomplished in all that stuff. It was like saying, “You can be young, you can be far out, and you can still make it.” They were making people happy. That happy thing – that’s the stuff that counts – something that we could all see right away.
- Jerry Garcia
>>
>>52833638
they were
>>
>“I really wasn’t quite ready for the unity. It felt like it all belonged together. Rubber Soul was a collection of songs…that somehow went together like no album ever made before".
Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys
>>
lol who the fuck cares they sounded good what the hell does it matter
>>
>"But times changed, and I changed, and I didn't feel that way anymore. The Beatles were happening. I think that was probably the main thing. The Beatles just changed the whole world of music".
-singer/songwriter Barry McGuire
>>
>Revolver remains my favorite because that’s the first one where I felt that they stepped outside the normal four-piece band and started experimenting in the studio. That album introduces a lot of things that are firsts. Things like Indian music and orchestras playing with the band and backwards guitar, a lot of things that I still really love.
>Yes, there is so much in their music that is very avant-garde. Experimental songs, which first began as 20-minute jams, that a prog-rock band might do. I’m thinking of “Helter Skelter”, which I just read was originally a 27-minute jam! They edited that down to a three-and-a-half minute song!
-Adrian Belew, King Crimson
>>
>>52838378
Dude, we get it.
>>
>>52838522
No I don't think you do.

>"The Beatles. They broke down every barrier that ever existed. Suddenly you could do anything after The Beatles. You could write your own music, make it ninety yards long, put it in 7/4, whatever you wanted."
-Bill Bruford, drummer of King Crimson and Yes.
>>
>>52838546
I love The Beatles, and I definitely think that they're a rather influential band and music as we know it today would be very different had they not risen to the success they did. You've posted enough quotes. I agree with you, the point I'm trying to make here is that you've made your point.
>>
>>52838587
Oh are you the only one on mu?

>"When I was 20, I worked at a hotel in a dance orchestra, playing weddings, bar-mitzvahs, dancing, cabaret. I drove home and I was also at college at the time. Then I put on the radio (Radio Luxemburg) and I heard this music. It was terrifying. I had no idea what it was. Then it kept going. Then there was this enormous whine note of strings. Then there was this colossal piano chord. I discovered later that I'd come in half-way through Sgt. Pepper, played continuously. My life was never the same again"
-Robert Fripp on hearing the Beatles Sgt Pepper
>>
>>52838660
Not that poster, I don't know if this is bad trolling or you don't get that you've made your point
>>
File: chuck_fuckin'_berry.jpg (9KB, 261x193px) Image search: [Google]
chuck_fuckin'_berry.jpg
9KB, 261x193px
>>52833660
>"Important" and "Influential" carry the same definition as "popular"

If that were the case. Pic related is the demigod of the 20th century.
>>
File: That did sure woke May up.jpg (401KB, 1000x1214px) Image search: [Google]
That did sure woke May up.jpg
401KB, 1000x1214px
Autism: the thread
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.