[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/prod/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 5

File: bby.jpg (90KB, 960x561px) Image search: [Google]
bby.jpg
90KB, 960x561px
Discuss music production, software and gear. All DAWs invited, what works for you works for you. Keep it friendly and don't respond to trolls.

Thread theme: if you had to use just one synthesizer, software or hardware, which would be it and why?

Essential stuff:
>Sound Synthesis and Sampling (book):
http://www48.zippyshare.com/v/20999348/file.html

>Intro to Synthesis (video playlist):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQ04PwFvui1BCUAE9wxmOqHE51mrDv8Ui

>Vintage drum machine pack
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a5a1kc11yz6pk5a/Boss%20and%20Roland%20Drum%20Machines.rar?dl=0
>>
i only have one synth and it's the microbrute by arturia
pretty awesome, i don't feel i need anything else at the moment

i was wondering if i should get the ms20mini, though, would it be redundant ?
>>
>>52411436
laptop and midi controller.

preferabily something very lightweight and small in laptop. like a 13 inch with 8 gig ram.
a collection of vsts.

and a 88 keyboard usb powered.
>>
>>52411436
probably the arp 2600 because that's what todd terje used to create an entire EP and it sounded fantastic.
>>
greetz /prod/

pastebin of resources:

http://pastebin.com/uz0Y45cn

currently having a crack at epic trailer music, with some nice cinebrass samples
>>
>>52411481
it may be redundant, just depends on what you need it for. production wise, i'm of the opinion that processing and effect chains are more important than sound sources.

>>52411436
a modular but that's kinda meaningless since you could have enough modules to replicate any number of synths. but excluding that, i would go with the minimoog model d. it sounds lovely and is very versatile, i'd mostly process it though.
>>
I've been getting bored of my Poly800 and remember about that Moog Slayer mod that people apply to it and sell it.

I've looked for resources or tutorials on how to do this and I haven't really found much. I've done a little bit of soldering before but nothing really crazy. Does anyone know if doing this mod is easy? or if anyone has some kind of resource I could look at?
>>
>>52411436
If I had to use one synth it would be something with a sequencer, if I had to use one DAW it would be FL
>>
>>52411436
Either a Virus TI or a Roland V-Synth GT, then do Hyper/Super Saws all day long.
>>
Anyone has a good torrent for the Shreddage 2 library for Kontakt?
>>
how do you get that movement in house chords? like in /bleep/ house
>>
>>52412066
The first result on google makes it pretty clear

http://synthmod.net/korg/moog_slayer/

All you do is add two pots and remove two trimpots I believe
>>
>>52412362
Wow, I feel kinda dumb. sorry you had to google it for me
>>
>>52412302

more money
>>
>>52412425
Here's a decent enough video as well. It appears all you do is add knobs for cutoff and resonance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYHG9yTbqqU
>>
>>52412302

Just getting the amplitude and filter envelopes right, and then nailing the compression settings.
>>
>>52412511
why would you throw a compressor on it though?
>>
>>52413126
i think the better question is why wouldnt you throw a compressor on it. not tryin to be a dick, this is just what ive found in general mixing
>>
>>52413214
yea I feel you, I just am always cautious of using compressors, I know how to use them, I'm just not to proficient with them, and only use them if I know shit is taking up to much range
>>
what are other good modular sound synthesizers with midi sequencers like reason?
>>
>>52413279
i try to be cautious too, sometimes i forget why i even put compressors on stuff. i know it reduces dynamic range of a waveform, but why does that even matter, sometimes it just dulls it all up. but i guess that's good since its just a single ingredient in a whole track.
>>
So I dicked around with a Microbruteâ„¢ at Sitar Center today. Not a'tall impressed. For $400 you really don't get a whole lot of value out of it. I reckon the synths in Reason can make the same sounds. I really wanted either the Microbrute or the Microkorg but I'm feeling pretty disenfranchised now. Anybody have experience or advice for me?

>tl:dr; want a hardware synth, wat do
>>
>>52413490
build one like that one guy
>>
File: geeps.png (12KB, 261x195px) Image search: [Google]
geeps.png
12KB, 261x195px
>>52413511
I don't wanna
>>
>>52413490
just listen to youtube demos of synths within that price range and go for the one that sounds the best to you. i recommend the roland sh-09 or an arp axxe.
>>
>>52413564
I don't even know why I answered you , I haven't ever played with a real synth, except for a while ago when I didn't know how to use them so I just left it alone
>>
>>52413679
I'll have to do more research. I think I'm probably still leaning more toward the Microkorg, on account of the vocoder and stuff. it does have a nice brazen sound to it as well. I guess I'm just a little shocked at how cheap the 'brute sounded.
>>
>>52411436
Assuming I can use a DAW with that, I would probably get an Analog 4 paired up with Renoise.

I don't own any expees synths so I could be making the wrongish choice.
>>
anybody mind explaining that epicverb?
>>
nvrmind found the manual
>>
>>52411436
If I can multitrack, my Minimoog model D.
>>
>>52414077
Don't bother with the microkorg, just use VSTs at that point. At least the microbrute sounds goo if you know what you're doing. Also, where the hell are you finding the microbrute for $400?
>>
>>52413126

Because if you're able to get your compression settings just right, it can make the sound SO much punchier, tighter, and controlled. Especially when it comes to electronic dance music. It tends to make it sound like it's really within the mix as opposed to simply sitting on top of it. Not everything needs compression, and you can really dull-up a mix by overusing it, but you don't NEED to crush it by 10dB... Just don't overdo it.
>>
>>52413326

Reaktor, and Max MSP are worth checking out, but those have a pretty significant learning curve.

>>52413490
>I reckon the synths in Reason can make the same sounds.
Software synths can make almost any sound now, that's not what the appeal of hardware is.
>>
>>52411960
what are good ways to process sound?
i was looking at some producers/recordists interview and that shit was almost all about microphone types, microphone placement etc.
what are some good machines to process sound? could you recommend some analog compressors or shit?

i'm loving composition and finding cool sounds but i'm kinda lost to how make it sound big and powerful
i got a bit of money for christmas and I consider buying some piece of equipment to help me reach that "good" powerful sound, any advice?
i mostly use vsts and a microbrute and voice
>>
>>52416634
would it be advisable to put compressors after reverbs or delays?
>>
>>52416802

Honestly if you're still just doing sonic exploration and figuring out what works with what, etc you really don't need to invest in analog processors. Neither you nor anyone in this thread would be able to consistently tell the difference between analog compressors/EQs and their digital replicas in a blind test. Investing in a few high quality EQs/compressors will definitely improve sound quality, regardless of whether they're analog or digital, but you should be able to get things to sound huge with just the stock plugins on your DAW.

To get things to sound bigger, think more about layering things. Multitrack things. If you're recording something, record it twice, then pan each take left and right to get a really wide sound (while still maintaining mono-compatibility). To get your low-end to sound big and controlled, start putting high-pass filters on EVERYTHING that isn't your kick and bass drum. It doesn't need to be set very high, even 100Hz will improve, but that depends on the source. If it doesn't need low frequencies, take them out. Maybe put a high-pass on all of your basses, then create a separate bass for the very low frequencies. Layer your drums. Snares sound especially good that way. You can make your kick drums sound huge if you use separate kicks for the high part of the kick and the low part. Put a high-pass on one and a low-pass on the other, then choose your kicks (or any drum, for that matter) on whether the click or the boom of it sounds good.

Another good trick with drums is to create a duplicate track of the drums (it can either be your entire drum bus, or just individual drums), and then put a compressor on it. CRUSH the absolute fucking hell out of them so that they pump and distort like crazy, and then ease in a BIT of that signal in with the other (not overly compressed) drums.
>>
>>52416802

Use reverb to thicken things up too. Use a single reverb for a LOT of your instruments in order to have room coherence. Don't overdo it though cause otherwise it'll sound like your whole mix is far away.

Saturate things. Use VERY small amounts of distortions (tape saturation sounds fucking awesome) on elements that you want to have more edge.

I'll let you know if I think of anything else.
>>
>>52416911
It's not advisable for typical studio practices, but you could create some interesting things if the compressor is sidechained and the delay is temp synced to whatever it is sidechained to.
>>
>>52411436
Hello, newbie here. How could I improve this track production-wise?

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0sstmF8UBXx

It's the first time I try to mix sound with FL. The echo and distortion coming from the synth is supposed to be here, so nevermind it.
>>
>>52416802
ART pro VLA
Alesis 3630

Both breddy good budget compressors. People have mixed feelings on them because they're not 1:1 clones of an 1176
>>
>>52416911

I recommend using all of your reverb and delay effects as sends, not inserts. Create an auxiliary channel strip, and insert the reverb on that shit. Put the input of that aux track as a bus, then anything that you want to put reverb on, use a send to that same bus. That way the reverb/delay comes out parallel to the actual signal.

The most significant advantage to that is that you can use that same send with many tracks and have one reverb plugin taking care of all the reverb. Saves a TON of CPU. Reverb is room simulation so it makes sense for many elements to be in the same room. Just use the send amount to determine how much reverb you want. Delay works pretty much the same way. I don't usually put any compression on my reverb track.
>>
File: IMG_1840.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1840.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
My current setup
>>
>>52416911

>>52417056
This guy also brings up an interesting point. This works especially well with vocals I find. If you have an absolutely MASSIVE reverb on something, you can put a compressor on the reverb track, and have it sidechained to the dry signal. That way whenever the vocal (or whatever instrument) is playing, the reverb volume drops, clearing up the mix, and then when it stop, the reverb's volume bumps back up. Ducking reverb.
>>
>>52417115
for a start you could post it on clyp.it so we can hear it at proper quality. vocaroo loses a lot of quality.
>>
>>52417191

Yoooo dude how is that Pittsburgh modular? I'm thinking about starting a eurorack setup, and Pittsburgh modular has a lot of cheap modules. Do they sound good? Anything about them or their sound I should know?
>>
>>52417220
That's an interesting idea. What are some tracks where this is done? Sidechained reverb?
>>
>>52417191
fucking based, If I had that I would feel the obsessive need to use everyone of those in a track.
>>
>>52417256
>>52417115
Sorry, here it is: https://clyp.it/mqsr5efh
>>
>>52417022
Kick drum and basses*

Whoops.
>>
>>52417295
It takes a little bit to learn but once you do it sounds great, basslines are thick as fuk

Hoping to get my own modular soon but its confusing as hell
>>
>>52417310

Hmmm, I can't remember the exact names, but there's a track on the Bladerunner soundtrack with this ethnic-sounding vocalist and there's an absolutely enormous reverb with a huge decay time, and there's NO way you could get that not to sound muddy without a bit of sidechained reverb. I think there's a few Enigma tracks that use that technique as well though I still can't remember the names. If you do that, your goal is to make it sound as completely transparent as possible. If you can hear the reverb ducking in and out it sounds completely unnatural. I don't really see a point in doing it unless the reverb really gets in the way of the dry signal.
>>
>>52417191
Damn, nice 101 and 303
>>
>>52417151
thanks for the reply man, I only have ever used send tracks to automate wet signals but never thought about that "same room" thing, it's helpful to think about I'm going to use that idea more

heres this *house track i've been working on for about 4 hours or so, about to start arranging, but wanted to know what you guys thought of the mix?
https://clyp.it/dpdgnxev
>>
>>52417115
>>52417315

Anyone?
>>
wow thanks a lot /mu/, that's very useful
>>52417022
i def need to work on my layering skills, i don't do it as much as i should
also, you guessed it right, my tracks are too muddy on the low end and my mix always end up being kinda saturated, i'm gonna try putting some more highpass on shit
>>52417054
i like to put distortion a lot already, maybe i overdo it
i'll try reverb on multiple tracks it might help
>>52417118
thanks i'm checking them
>>
>>52417530
Thanks sadly its the knockoff 303 the TT-303
still sounds great tho
>>
>>52417904
>https://clyp.it/mqsr5efh
nice drums, I don't like the riffs though. the mix is a little messy, but I like it,its kind of ambient without being to lazy
>>
>>52417315
>https://clyp.it/mqsr5efh
i'm not sure what you're trying to achieve so hard to judge
here's what i get from it in my humble opinion

>that harp is not quite synced
>too much bass/synths in the mix
>some frenquencies are not sitting well with each other
>you can hear some bad crackling/clipping near 1:15-1:30

otherwise it was an intersting listen, work on your mix so everything sounds more "together"

you're in luck, there's some great advice right there >>52417022
>>
>>52418013
>>52418106
Thank you, good advice. Btw, the drums are from this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8ixnqRyfzU
>>
>>52417698
bump
>>
>>52417698

Alright I'm back. Hmmm, the mix doesn't sound too bad at all. I'd probably ease off some of the reverb on the drums, especially on that snare and hi-hat. You do some drum fills with the snare sometimes, and that's a really nice touch, but I'd make it a bit louder to emphasize it a bit more. Your kick has a bit of mud to it somewhere in the low-mids. It might be somewhere around 300-375Hz. The 290-375 range sounds really bad, I CONSTANTLY find myself cutting those frequencies. You can probably get your attack/release settings on your kick's compressor (assuming you have one) to sound even better than that. It's really hard to hear the differences in attack/release so I recommend crushing it to exaggerate the compression, finding the optimal attack/release times, then easing off the compression. I think all it needs now is a lead melody that sits atop all of that. It's pretty awesome so far though.
>>
>>52417427
>there's a track on the Bladerunner soundtrack
Tales of the Future
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkfnEWvJX1I

>with this ethnic-sounding vocalist
Demis Roussos from Aphrodite's Child, singing faux-Arabic gibberish

>and there's an absolutely enormous reverb with a huge decay time
Lexicon 224

>there's NO way you could get that not to sound muddy without a bit of sidechained reverb.
Dunno, doesn't really sound like it to me. Vangelis put the 224 all over everything with very little restraint.
>>
>>52418875
:) cool man, I made that kick really quick , just layering a couple of kicks together, then on a whim started making a song. my idea of a lead was that saw thing with the shitton of delay on it, I probably won't add anything else , I don't want it to get to cheesy. thanks for the feedback, sweeping the kick with an eq now
>>
best free EQ plugin?
>>
>>52419105
They should all be pretty much the same; it's just a matter of what user interface you prefer.
>>
>>52419105

Hmmm, I know Elysia has a free EQ plugin, but it's more of a kind of shelving EQ that changes the proportion of highs to lows around a given frequency. It's kind of unconventional but Elysia REALLY knows what they're doing. Blue cat plugins are pretty good as well. There are a BUNCH of other free ones as well but I never really bothered checking them out.

As far as digital EQs go, Fabfilter is absurdly good. Apart from that, SPL, Waves, and UAD all make great sounding EQs.

>>52419127
Yeah the differences are pretty small but if you get pretty into it there are pretty noticeable differences, ESPECIALLY when it comes to analog replicas. For example pulteq style EQs sound nothing like an SSL or a Neve EQ.
>>
>>52419335
>Yeah the differences are pretty small but if you get pretty into it there are pretty noticeable differences, ESPECIALLY when it comes to analog replicas.

There are only differences when the designer emulates nonlinearities. And there's a choice of minimum phase vs. linear phase. Aside from that, though, any EQ can be made to null with any other EQ.
>>
>>52419468

Well of course not. Different algorithms sound different. Sure, it's possible to get VERY close with different algorithmic EQs, often times to the point where barely anyone but mix engineers would be able to tell the difference, but you can't possibly say that all digital EQs are pretty much the same.
>>
>>52419592
If they null then they're exactly the same. If they're based on biquad filters without emulated nonlinearities then they're essentially identical, and any difference is just down to the way the user parameters map to the filter coefficients. So they're not really even different algorithms.
>>
>>52419681

If they're both based on biquad filters then they use pretty much the same algorithm, but that's apart from the point that not all digital EQs are pretty much the same like you said.
>>
Going for a new Audio Interface.

Need it to be portable and don't want the scarletts. What's more high end? I was thinking of the NI Audio 6, something like that. Maybe an Apogee.. any suggestions?
>>
>>52419823

RME babyface and apogee are both worth looking into.
>>
>>52418875
if you're still here, what do you think of the kick now? I thought the undesirable freq. were around 400 and a little below , I don't know why the hell I had frequencies in there anyways. anyway, this is probably the arrangement I'm going to stay with, I'm putting it away to mix some more later on, but just wanted your take on the kick? oh and also I added a compressor to the kick, It didn't have one before hopefully I didn't fuck it up

https://clyp.it/yyvu5w3h
>>
>>52419845
Is there anything worth it in the 250-400$ range? or if I'm going that low would I just be bothered to buy a scarlett?

The babyface seems like an absolute clusterfuck with that connector. The Apogees are very tempting but seem oberpriced. and The Duet is the only one I'd consider getting, but I like going from OSX to windows sometimes.

I'm thinking of going with the NI A6 if I find it for a good deal, but apparently there's 2 inputs you cannot alter the gain on. That's absolutely stupid, why even have them there?
>>
>>52419945

Yeah I'm still here. The intro is really awesome. I like those ambient electric-piano sounding chords that come in with the start. The mix is infinitely better. The snare still sounds pretty far away starting at 2:07. I think layering a snare that sounds closer, and has kind of a PFFF sound would be really dope. Apart from that it's great.
>>
>>52420000

Nice quads. I don't really know about the NI interface but if you're gonna buy in that price range I'd honestly just go with the scarlet where you know it pretty decent. You could look into some of the lower end MOTU stuff. But apart from that as far as a bit more high end goes, it's really MOTU, Apollo Twin, Apogee, or RME that you should go for.
>>
>>52420140
cool man, I'll take that into account, thanks for listening
>>
>>52420209
Thanks, In that case I will probably end up going to the Motu4pre. It looks pretty sweet.
>>
Parents offered to buy me a new computer for christmas as my old one is, well... old.

What sort of thngs should I most be looking at for music production? My old lapop ran Ableton fine but really lagged the fuck out with many VSTs and shit. Obviously Plenty of RAM would be essential, but what else?
>>
>>52421517
lucky.
>>
>>52421517
If we're talking about windows, I think you should be looking for something with 8 GB of RAM, Intel i7 and firewire
>>
Are audio interfaces a must for live playing with a midi controller?
>>
If i started an IRC channel strictly for production and related discussion would you guys participate?
>>
>>52422104
At least I would, but /prod/ isn't exactly crowded and must of us just shoot questions to the less that are really helpful, so it might not work
>>
>>52422104
I can't install shit on this laptop, but if theres away around that I would
>>
>>52422186
I think there's already IRC clients for browsers dude
>>
>>52422211
there is, I'm down then.
>>
>>52421517
32gb ram
1tb ssd
>>
File: MPKmini_angle_web_lg_700x438.png (270KB, 700x438px) Image search: [Google]
MPKmini_angle_web_lg_700x438.png
270KB, 700x438px
So I got this for xmas and it came with a copy of Hybrid 3 and wobble.

It didnt set it up correctly so ive just reinstalling it for the 3rd time and the authorizer wont open

>TL;DR

>hybrid and wobble authorizer icon wont open up
>>
>>52423207
Did you contact customer support yet? What OS are you using?
>>
File: MiniLab-xlarge.jpg (353KB, 1800x928px) Image search: [Google]
MiniLab-xlarge.jpg
353KB, 1800x928px
Got this for Christmas and it came with Analog Lab.
>>
>>52423802
I just bought the KeyLab 49, I'm very excited to see the new audio interface Arturia will release these NAMM
>>
Anyone here using the Darkware plugins?
http://www.gersic.com/plugins/hosted/darkware/darkware.html

Are they really as bugged, unpredictable and shit-sounding as they seem to me, or I just can't use them right?
Thread posts: 94
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.