[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Production Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 15

Share WIPs, discuss producing, favorite DAWs, samples, VSTs, hints, tips, questions.

Hardware edition
>>
>>52166077
turn your headphones or overall sound volume down, that way you'll be force to bring up levels in your DAW until they're correct once exported.
>>
>>52165909
I understand. It does take a lot of seeding. I have Transmission running with 20 torrents uploading all the time. They barely get hit, so it takes a long time to upload much. Having so many plug ins and soft synths is great. Since I don't even know how much they charge for these different things before i get them, i don't know all the hype or how good it supposedly is
>>
what do you guys think of lmms
>>
File: ss+(2014-12-17+at+01.06.56).png (1KB, 312x19px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2014-12-17+at+01.06.56).png
1KB, 312x19px
I'm sure y'all now this dumbass feel.
>>
>>52166196
kek, you dl them all at once?
>>
>>52166196
Also the feel of not writing "know" properly..
>>
>>52166217
Fuck no, that's over the course of a few years I guess. I'm way too lazy to do cleaning but every time I see that I >:[
>>
File: LOLZArmor.jpg (23KB, 204x233px) Image search: [Google]
LOLZArmor.jpg
23KB, 204x233px
>>52166089
mfw I realize there's words written with those synths.
shoop detected
Fuuk... something.... Fast Asleep
>>
>>52166259
funki porchini: fast asleep

google image search did that for me
>>
>>52166196
I don't.
>>
>>52166196
>104 VST instruments
fuck man you're in too deep
>>
For the guy giving out Pro.Audio.T invites... please email one here: [email protected]

thanks
>>
>>52166259
I managed to make out

FUNK

and

FAST
ASLEEP
>>
I can make chord progressions fine, but when i go for that deadmaus feel, i can't write them for shit. what are those types of chord progressions called?
>>
>>52166358
SO DEEP SO DEEP, YO.
I
PUT
THAT
ASS
TO
SLEEEEEEEEEP

But yeah I am, keep in mind some of those are jbridged so I can use them in Live, Renoise has a wrapper.
>>
>>52166371
ok give me a second
>>
File: ableton user.jpg (1000KB, 1650x1626px) Image search: [Google]
ableton user.jpg
1000KB, 1650x1626px
>>
>>52166371
sent ;)
>>
>tfw listen to a song
>really like a synth
>try to copy it
>it sounds nothing like the song
>maybe its the wrong note
>same notes/chords/keys/pitch

WHY DOES IT SOUND SO DIFFERNET
>>
As a result of me being so obsessed with trying to mix decently, my creativity with stuff has degraded big time. I want to even try foley to play around with sounds, but equipment is expensive and I'm always broke, and growing more and more discouraged. But I feel like I need to try to get some monitors first somehow, anyone have any favored lower priced ones? And should I stop trying to make everything in the box and work towards getting some hardware to use?
>>
>>52166553
lol, what is this even trying to convey?
>>
>>52166853
>stop trying to make everything in the box
NO,

>>52166829
probably the patch
>>
File: newstuff.png (70KB, 720x580px) Image search: [Google]
newstuff.png
70KB, 720x580px
>tfw you have a new mic and interface in the mail and you opted for the super savers shipping

http://youtu.be/uMyCa35_mOg
>>
>>52166853
You don't have monitors? I don't know how much space you have, but you'd really love them anyway. 8"s are where it's at, but the 5"s that are around 300 a pair are nice as fuck too. Powered speakers are crucial.
>>
File: board.jpg (833KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
board.jpg
833KB, 1632x1224px
As a final project for a recording class, my group in the class did a cover of Children of The Grave by Black Sabbath.

https://soundcloud.com/candler/children-of-the-grave-cover

Let me know what you guys think of the mix. I engineered/mixed/mastered it but didn't play any instruments.

pic related is the new mixing board our school just got
>>
>>52167366
what's the point of these things if the DAW already has a shitton of them in it?
>>
>>52167391
w-what
>>
>>52166885
I mean like, not go full hardware but just have some synths and whatnot to use. Surely there's some advantages to not using only VSTs...

>>52167176
It really is a pain with my current setup, I've been wanting to try to get some competent monitors for ages, leaning towards Dynaudio BM5As or HS7/8, but I'm aware that expensive monitors won't make *that* much of a difference since my room is not treated. But I'm hoping they'll at least help me feel slightly more confident in my mixes, enough so that I can just focus on having fun and experimenting while knowing it might not sound COMPLETELY off.
>>
>>52167391
not to mention about a hundred mixer tracks.... but I don't know, they look cool? Also I never have used on irl but i sure would like to
>>
>>52167391
In terms of why the school got an analog console, it's because a huge amount of studios have them and prospective audio engineers need to learn how to use them if they want a job.
>>
>>52167522
would my knowledge of fl studio's mixer help me find my way around most mixers?
>>
File: asp_4816_0818.jpg (332KB, 2500x1667px) Image search: [Google]
asp_4816_0818.jpg
332KB, 2500x1667px
>>52167570
Well DAWs are abstractions of real world consoles and gear, so you would be better off than someone who hasn't ever seen a DAW. You probably wouldn't be able to figure out how to use it just based on that though.
>>
>>52167366
>>52167391
i have a similar question, how do you run into the interfaces with this? what interface would you use?

the character and preamps essentially are what makes the thing important, but it's not literally controlling the faders like a controller. i have seen so a couple of those acting as headphone amps in a digital setting nowadays.

>>52167445
they are the best computer speakers you could have too. monitors in a relatively small room sound good still, but it sounds like you've got a really bad room? i've got a treated room and I have the HS80M (old HS8's) pair as a backup and they are the best in that price range.
>>
Autist coming through. I left my headphones fall earlier today and I feel like it started distorting the mid-ranges a little bit, but I can't be sure. Question: is there any way to objectively verify if it really is distorting?
>>
>>52167646
that translates well into live audio settings too, to help more academically i guess.
>>
>>52167669
listen to familiar songs and see how they hold up

>>52167646
I can tell those are midi ports, but what are the other ones? and i thought midi was to translate notes for synths and shit, what use would they have on a mixing board?
>>
>>52167391
Non-linear summing, I think. Most equalizers, hardware and also digital, I think, create slight phasing issues or something when you boost or cut frequencies. This is non-linear phasing and it colors the sound in a way that many people find pleasing. If it was linear then it would be transparent sounding. I believe consoles don't have perfect linear summing and this gives them their own sound. Dont quote me on this. Also, hands on is better for mixing anyway.
>>
>>52167391

none, keep playing your manchild game of moving colored blocks around the screen and calling it music making

>>52167366

that's a nice console, though schools tend to have those. did you use this in recording? i hear it's sturdy

this place is toxic for mix advice so be careful.

i've engineered a lot of shit bands in my days and it's always hard to separate the engineers work from the general state of the band/recording equipment quality

i could go on a tirade about how it could use a bit of air, maybe a bit less low-mid mud, less distortion&compression artifacts around the 1 minute mark, some problem frequencies with the guitars - but honestly, it sounds like you did what you could with what you got, it sounds like a school recording. bet those flammy cymbals were a bitch
>>
>>52167669
listen to sine waves in different frequencies

they shouldn't have distortion at all
>>
File: ATB_Pony _console.jpg (637KB, 3724x1882px) Image search: [Google]
ATB_Pony _console.jpg
637KB, 3724x1882px
>>52167654
Generally you would go line out or XLR out into the audio interface or AD/DA converters.

This little mixer for example is one that has been used at the college to teach beginners how to use mixers. The signal goes line out into an apollo uad interface. The faders don't control the faders in the DAW, they just control how much signal is going to the track in the DAW.
>>
>>52166089
I like Reason. I can make these demos of my compositions for my band and we can learn each track easily this way.
Related. What you think bout this shit?

https://graysonbreeden.bandcamp.com/track/arithmetic-demo-compostion
>>
>>52167721
>midi ports
Those are XLR ports,m8. For microphones and amps and guitars and any shit with an XLR output.
>>
>>52167730
that makes some sense. summing is generally done analog but it's usually a small unit of it's own

>>52167774
ok, that's how i would do it at home given the stuff I have, if i were to use my big old mixer. so it also sends the pan info and eq and you work with that in the daw?
>>
>>52167654

there are a million ways

i run my mackie console into an alesis adat AI-3 that then converts the signal into the optical input of my RME soundcard
>>
>>52167732
>that's a nice console, though schools tend to have those. did you use this in recording? i hear it's sturdy
Nah haven't used it yet, we just got it earlier this week. It won't be up and running till the beginning of next year.

Thanks for the comments
>>
>>52167839
I learned something today. googling XLR now
>>
Anyone ever tried a DIY hardware project? You have to spend a little bit extra the first time if you don't already have a decent solder iron and multimeter, but its soo worth it.
Somehow I managed to build a u87 clone and I know nothing about electronics. It's an embarrassingly sloppy job but it works and sounds beautiful.
>>
>>52168006
one of these days
>>
>>52168006
I built a kit Theremin...
dreamed about building my own delay too, but my DD-6 does everything I need for guitar.

I studied electronics briefly which helped my soldering and circuit building skills. Our final project was to scratch build a power supply, making the circuit boards ourselves... even the box (basic metalworking).
>>
>>52168006

ive built a few contact mics for field recordings, its pretty easy and fun

got some good creaky sounds burying those fuckers between the thick hardwood floors of an old rope-tying building at a dock
>>
>>52168006
yeah dude i got a u87 clone built myself. put it in one of those little mxl bodies. really really good idea. i had a friend help me though cause i'm no good
>>
>>52166395
8th notes?
also you can find the midi for pretty much any of his songs. use google
>>
>>52168242
no, i know what chord stabs are and shit I was talking about the type of chord progression, but right now i was reading about picardy third cadences, i think thats what they are. and thanks, ill look around for some midi's
>>
>>52168292
A picardy third is when a piece is in a minor key, but then at the end the last chord is a major tonic.
>>
>>52167803
Depending on what you're tryna do, Reason is great with sampling for me

Pretty good
>>
>>52168106
That's pretty cool. Those are very useful skills. Yeah I bet a delay unit would be badass.

>>52168222
word, do you have the pattern switches and all that on it? I still haven't got them working on mine so I just use it in cardiod.
>>
>>52168307
making it unresolved right?
>>
>>52167061
>using hipster triangles before it was cool

that's deep
>>
>>52168333
I don't know the technicality of it, but they sound pretty resolved to me.
>>
>>52168333
it just sounds very old fashioned...

https://clyp.it/ezirqdgr

depends if you like major cadences. I personally love them and dot them all over the place.
>>
>>52168394
sounds dope. what would happen if it was a major key with a minor chord ending?
>>
https://soundcloud.com/andres_51/angeles/s-N3gQV

hidden track 'cause it's different than the usual.

latin/reggaeton influence on the beat and through some weird fuckery transforms into overcompressed redux'd distortion hellscape

tell me if you fuck with this.
>>
>>52168394
I have no idea clue what scales go with what, what notes go with what. no clue on any of that I just click around until I hear something I like. I'm I bad?
>>
File: circle of fifths.jpg (145KB, 1202x1122px) Image search: [Google]
circle of fifths.jpg
145KB, 1202x1122px
>>52168517
It's not to hard to learn, i find that theres only like 5 different patterns of scales, but they start on different notes. once you get scales down you can use shit like circle of fifths. a circle of fifths is pic related, and i should really start memorizing it like i told myself i would
>>
>>52168456
like this: (pic)
https://clyp.it/wv1qccve
>>
File: chords.png (143KB, 1431x958px) Image search: [Google]
chords.png
143KB, 1431x958px
>>52168694
>no pic

good one.
>>
>>52168517
Just learn what notes are in what key. C major is C D E F G A B C. So, if you're making a regular triad chord, you take the root, third, and 5th. C major would be CEG, I remembered it as "keg". A minor is ACE, or "ace" like the word. It's well worth taking up keys/learning theory, you'll improve a ton.

Actually playing something really gives you a feel for what works. The last song I write, I drew the vocal melody in the piano roll, but when I actually sang the part, I sang a different note that worked a lot better.
>>
File: maudiomtrack.jpg (120KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
maudiomtrack.jpg
120KB, 1024x1024px
Does any of you guys have a M-Audio M-track (pic related) that can tell me if it adds too much noise when using a dynamic mic like an SM57 for example? Any other comments are also welcome; thinking of buying that for my first pre-amp/midi interface along with (very probably) an M-Audio Oxygen 49.
>>
>>52168822
I've heard good things about the focusrite 2i2. I use the alesis QX49, i like it. You get pads too. Although not the greatest, they're nice to have.
>>
File: still messy.jpg (349KB, 1306x736px) Image search: [Google]
still messy.jpg
349KB, 1306x736px
currently really bored. Thinking about making a track that only utilizes one synth patch that's just a bunch of layered arpeggios.
>>
>>52168970
>all that hardware

you have no excuse to be bored
>>
>>52168987
It's really not a lot
>>
>>52168997
If i had one of those synths, or one of those drummachine sequencer things, the only thing keeping me from using them like an autist would be my incessant need to fap and eat.

not really, but I would sure be using them pretty much nonstop
>>
>>52168970
>mc ride's face in the center of the screen
kekd out lout

I've come to believe there's always atleast one thread in the catalog with mc ride's face as the OP pic.
>>
>>52169036
Well everything there aside from the juno is relatively cheap. Why dont you pick up a synth or drum machine and use it nonstop?

What kind of music would you make with them?
>>
>>52169072
I never noticed that

2spooky
>>
>>52168822
I have an M-Track, I only record my Microbrute, Volca Keys and iPad with it though. There isn't an noise that I've heard, honestly for a 100 bucks it's an alright deal.

JUST DON'T INSTALL THE DRIVERS YOUR COMPUTER BLUE SCREEN LIKE THERE'S NO TOMORROW.
>>
>>52169074
One of these days I may treat myself. and i would make uber electronic shit, I wouldn't try to make realistic sounding music if I had such sterile and precise equipment.
>>
>>52169106
Well when you do make sure to post here. Sounds neat.

Have an example of what you mean by 'uber electronic shit'?
>>
>>52169074
Not him, and pardon the ignorance but, the drum machine in your picture is the one in the red circle on pic related right? I can imagine you assign a drum sound to each button and play it/sequence it; that's the main function of it.

And the one in the blue circle is a 2i2 Focusrite Scarlett; how much did you pay for it; do you like it? The main reason I want to get an M-audio M-track is because it's the cheapest; but I don't want to risk it having noise on the mic since I plan to record live.
>>
File: 1418806213345.jpg (330KB, 1306x736px) Image search: [Google]
1418806213345.jpg
330KB, 1306x736px
>>52169152
pic lol
>>
>>52169141
yea i posted something a couple of days ago. someone said it sounded like hotline miami i think, and another said it was "cartoon mixing", but i haven't worked on anything for about a day. Actually I'm about to try out this donk synth some dude posted because it looks cool.
>>
>>52169152
The drum machine in the circle is a roland tr505. All of the sounds are assigned to each one of the buttons and there are various ways to program it. It's a fairly rudimentary and limited machine but it has some decent sounds and is fairly easy to program once you get an understanding of how to do so. Also it has fantastic midi implementation. You can also use the pads themselves to trigger things through midi so it's a decently versatile tool but I only bought mine a long time ago to use to practice guitar with. I had never intended for it to be a part of my electronic setup.

That is a scarlett 2i4. I loved it until it stopped working but I was probably an idiot for buying a used one. I'm currently stuck on which interface to buy because I really liked my scarlett but I'm hesitant because I already had one break on me. Just about all cheap interfaces the m-track included should have quiet preamps so you should not get a lot of noise and if you do it's fairly manageable.
>>
>>52169176
>someone said it sounded like hotline miami

well that sounds neat already. I'd love to hear it.
>>
File: chords2.jpg (773KB, 1787x1376px) Image search: [Google]
chords2.jpg
773KB, 1787x1376px
>>52168517
I put together this pic, not sure if it helps.
this is the chord progression:
https://clyp.it/quxuqpwb

what >>52168708 said.

I find that sticking to the chords gets a bit boring, and I naturally go into new places/keys.

notice in pic related, once it goes to the new key/starts using a new scale as a basis it immediately changes the feel of the piece.

I changed key to the relative major of my minor key. so I was in D# minor, and looking at the circle of fifths here >>52168562 (keys on the inside of the circle are minor, on the outside are major.) I can see that the relative major key of D#minor is F#Major. (At the bottom of the circle)

modulating to close keys like the relative major or minor is always easy to do, as they share many notes.
>>
>>52169176
>someone said it sounded like hotline miami i think
a y y l m a o
that was me whats good playa; if you post it again i'll listen to it again. care to share link for donk synth?

>>52169215
thanks for the info.
>>
>>52169250
pretty neat man, saved to study at my leisure

>>52169242
ok hold up

>>52169268
http://hintonandfairchild.co.uk/donkmachine2/

here you go
>>
>>52169242
>>52169268

this is that exact same loop that I uploaded some days ago, but in my daw I have mixed it a little more. this loop right now is just all the tracks playing at the same time, I still haven't structured anything

https://clyp.it/xonkbn4g
>>
>>52169336
I like it. The percussion is great and its very groovin.

Thanks for the share.
>>
>>52169352
thanks, a lot of my productions have that electronicky cheesy sound
>>
>>52169336
slow down the bpm and change up that sustained saw, and you got yourself some daft punk
>>
>>52169491
haha, thanks anon, although I don't think they're hats usually are that energetic. actually since then I have lessened the lfo on that saw and brought that arp thing up a little more in volume.
>>
that donk machine hogs up cpu like a motherfucker
Thread posts: 94
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.