[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

pic related is shit, we should update it. Stoner Rock differs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

File: mucore stoner rock.jpg (475KB, 1600x887px) Image search: [Google]
mucore stoner rock.jpg
475KB, 1600x887px
pic related is shit, we should update it. Stoner Rock differs from Stoner Metal because Stoner Rock is way less sludgey and a lot more Psychedelic. My hard drive recently died and I lost a lot of stoner rock. What are some actual essential stoner rock albums?
>>
Sky Valley and ...And The Circus Leaves Town are more stoner rock than metal, and are absolutely essential
Also Vista Point by Yawning Man
>>
File: better.jpg (634KB, 1600x887px) Image search: [Google]
better.jpg
634KB, 1600x887px
the albums marked in green do not belong on this list. Pilgrimage is hardly stoner metal, and there are better OM albums, same with Dead Meadow.
Havent listened to most of this stuff but I kow a band with a shitty name like "bezlebong" is probably corny bullshit. Stoner Rock is rarely about smoking weed- its mostly 70's hard rock done in a modern day setting. Where the fuck is Witchcraft?
>>
>>52017548
Circus leaves town is Kyuss worst album, and is very comercial and disjointed. Hurricane is a good song, but doesnt compare to anything on WTSV
>>
>>52017557
Witchcraft isn't stoner rock lol. That's literally just 70s hard rock being made today.
>>
>>52017425
>OM
>stoner rock
>uwotm8.jpeg
>>
>>52017600
Can't forget about Catamaran, it's a cover but a great one. And yes, it is the worst on par with Wretch, but Blues for the Red Sun is great great stoner metal and Sky Valley is excellent so that doesn't mean anything - I still think it's one of the best albums in the genre.
>>
>>52017753
Well perhaps you should list more albums from the genre so I can judge your taste. I think Church of Misery Second coming or early works compilation is very good, if not a little bluesy. I'm looking for stuff more in vein to Dead Meadow, Fatso Jetson, etc.

>>52017648
Stoner Rock is literally just a continuation of 70's hard rock, very similar to Grunge.

>>52017649
I thought the same thing, whoever made the list didn't know shit.
>>
>>52017557
>Clutch
At least not that album, and there's no point of having Sleep, OM and High on Fire, because anyone looking for new stuff would find them immediately with only one of them (Sleep) on there
>>
>>52017857
>Stoner Rock is literally just a continuation of 70's hard rock, very similar to Grunge.
eh, not really. It certainly has influences from 70s hard rock, but its more than just that. It's a combination of 70s hard rock, doom metal, heavy metal, and psychedelic rock. It has to have that potent fuzz. While it uses the blues scale, much like 70s hard rock, its also a lot more. Witchcraft isnt stoner rock, its just retro hard rock.
>>
>>52017857
some of stuff I really like: Casua Sui, 35007 (Phase V), Sessions number 7&8, Masters od Reality (Deep in the Hole), also Ten East because i'm mesmerised with Yawning Man. And really enjoyed one album by Nebula, don't remember which one. I guess you can judge my taste. I have not listened to like 1/4 of the chart above so I'm probably not a godly patrician, sorry
>>
>>52018076
Stoner Rock has little to do with doom metal, Stoner Metal does, however. Candlemass and a band like Dead Meadow sound nothing a like. and Stoner Rock is the logical conclusion of 70's hard rock, of course it will have more modern influences. its not just a rehash of a different genre, but it's definitly a modern take on it.

>>52018095
Thanks for reminding me of Nebula!
>>
>>52017557
Bongzilla's album here is actually pretty good, at least from what I remember
>>
So i'm working on a chart, are we saying no stoner metal?
>>
File: trash.jpg (228KB, 843x771px) Image search: [Google]
trash.jpg
228KB, 843x771px
>>52018235
>Stoner Rock has little to do with doom metal
>>
>>52018275
yes, it should have a chart of its own
>>
would Jeffersons Airplane be considered stoner rock?
>>
>>52018374
no, psychedlic rock
>>52018289
What, Why? as long as it's actual stoner metal, and not just doom or sludge, I don't see an issue since so much of it is right on the line anyway. If you just want plain rock, why not update the desert rock or neopsych chart?
>>
>>52018374
If it was made in Palm Desert, it surely would be, but no.
>>
>>52018271
i agree, but it isnt stoner rock, it is stoner metal.
>>52018287
Doom Metal/Stoner/Sludge are easily my favorite genres of music. I too used to feel that way about Stoner ROCK, but if you actually go back and listen to stoner rock albums you'll see that they infact don't have very much in common with Doom Metal, Stoner Metal, which is really just a combination of stoner rock/Doom/sludge does though. I can see why one would think it does, but it really doesn't if you actually listen to the music- for one Stoner Rock isnt Pessimistic like Stoner Rock is. Stoner Rock has a lot more in common with grunge music like Tad and Mudhoney than bands like Cathedral or Candlemass.
>>
File: stoner preview.jpg (782KB, 880x505px) Image search: [Google]
stoner preview.jpg
782KB, 880x505px
>>
>>52018425
Because this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjJbm8oRW6Y

Sounds a lot different than this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-x6qqNy0mo

If you're making a new list, Earthless Rhythms for a Cosmic Sky should be on it.
>>
>>52018490
again, this is both stoner rock and
and what the fuck is down doing there
>>
>>52018482
But it draws heavily from Black Sabbath, which is a bonafide Stoner Doom band. Some of it is a lot faster, but a lot of it is usually mid paced, with riffs in the blues scale and plenty of tritones. Make it slower, its stoner doom. And you cant tell me that early stoner rock bands didnt grow up listening to Sabbath, Saint Vitus, Pentagram, Witchfinder General, etc.
>>
>>52018490
Down isnt remotely stoner metal, props on ACID KING and Acrimony, I would remove Sabbath as most people would know that anyways. Remove BongRipper, DopeThrone, Amerijuanican, etc as they are a lot more heavier- Stoner Rock is heavy but still very chill, Stoner metal is just heavy.
>>
Oh, and as I realise 35007 is not very popular here, please check it out! You're probably missing out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNvjQOZCHFw
>>
>>52018610
>Hail the Leaf
>Bury me in Smoke
>Not stoner metal
>>
>>52018565
Josh Homme had never listened to Black Sabbath while he was in Kyuss, look it up. and can you tell me otherwise? did you interview the bands? Vitus was legendarily in the scene, Pentagram wasnt even really discovered by heads until the early work compilation came out in 2002, and Withfinder is a bigger influence to Electric Wizard than it is to Sleep. I can't imagine Al Cisneros jamming to Witchfinder General, most of these bands were influenced by their scenes (Palm Springs and SF Bay respectivly)
>>
>>52018649
Having songs about weed does not make a band a stoner metal band
>>
>>52018695
Uh, the dudes from Sleep loved early traditional doom. And I guess I cant prove these stoner rock bands grew up listening to Doom, but you cant really prove otherwise. And with my argument, at least the music shows it to some degree. I say some degree because Im not saying Doom is the prime influence for Stoner Rock, or even that its a huge part, but its definitely an undeniable part.
>>
File: Cover.jpg (272KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
272KB, 1000x1000px
>>52017425
>No Motorpsycho
Come on m8
>>
>>52018649
Stoner is really a shitty word, as a majority of stoner metal isnt fucking odes to marijuana. Lyrically, few songs have anything to do with weed. and the genre seems to be more influenced by Psychedelic states of mind than "smoke weed erry day"
>>
I still think Nola is at least stoner metal
>>
>>52018752
>The dudes from sleep loved early traditional doom

I'd love to see the source- Ive heard Al say he liked the first 4 Sab albums and Mattt Pike talk highly of Mahavishnu Orchestra, but nothing about the early trad doom bands.
>>
File: cover.jpg (98KB, 600x623px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
98KB, 600x623px
What does /mu/ think of pic related?
>>
File: stoned.jpg (680KB, 1683x1150px) Image search: [Google]
stoned.jpg
680KB, 1683x1150px
>>
>>52019701
yay or nay?
>>
>>52019883
Not quite what I'm looking for, sorry. Thanks though. I'll listen to some of these.
>>
>>52019927
If you're OP, the last 4 rows are what you want
>>
>>52017425
If you're making a chart for Stoner Rock then it absolutely must have Asteroid II on it. That album restored my faith in Rock and Roll in general.
>>
>>52021193
I put their first in mine
>>
>>52021320
The first one is good too, but that second one, man, it blew me away. I was alittle depressed at the time that "rock is dead" and then I discovered it and was like, "YES! NOW THIS IS ROCK AND ROLL!"
>>
>>52021384
It's been a while since I've given them a spin, but asteroid is the perfect name for a space rock band
>>
>>52017557
>and there are better OM albums

FINALLY SOMEONE
I love you anon.
>>
>>52017425

If you want to separate stoner rock from stoner metal, electric wizard must leave your list.
>>
>>52021503
hahaha! Honestly Pilgrimage is their weakest album IMO (besides conference of birds)
>>
An I the only one who looks at Stoner Rock and Stoner Metal in the same way as Hard Rock and Heavy Metal? As if there's a blurred line between the two, an example being bands like Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple, who have bits of both and are somewhat interchangeable? What's the point of being so definitive over genres?
>>
>>52022070
I like to think of Heavy Metal in general as being simply, "Rock and Roll with no restrictions." Honestly, it's all about the level of distortion on the guitars. There's alot of Stoner-Rock out there that would become Stoner-Metal if you simply played the same chords but cranked up the distortion. The distortion carries with it all of the aggression and violence with it that is the hallmark of Heavy Metal. And I don't think that's too nitpicky.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.