[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Musician feels thread? >tfw you can't listen to music

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 14

File: image.jpg (152KB, 1042x968px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
152KB, 1042x968px
Musician feels thread?

>tfw you can't listen to music without comparing it to your own and realizing how mediocre it is
>>
you just gotta be more like kenye
>>
>>51755183
i have a similar problem OP

>tfw you know some music theory but you're too afraid to write any songs because it'll probably be cliche in some form
>>
File: the loss woods.jpg (939KB, 2088x1404px) Image search: [Google]
the loss woods.jpg
939KB, 2088x1404px
>tfw you realize how shitty the music you wrote previously is and will probably never finish most of it

i think it's for the best honestly.

i need to stop wanking and start listening to proper song structures.
>>
>>51755232
This used to be a big problem for me. If you have a decent ear it might be helpful to "forget" a lot of the theory you know and just write music that sounds good. If you've been playing long enough, most of the stuff will end up being "correct"
>>
File: 1400301097777.jpg (16KB, 572x570px) Image search: [Google]
1400301097777.jpg
16KB, 572x570px
>tfw you write a song
>Sounds too much like a band you like

>You work on your vocals
>Feel exhausted
>Vocals work best for a riff/song that sounds like another band

Its exhausting singing and playing guitar and sometimes Im just like "fuck."
Im not into bullshit whining but writing can be stressful, especially when youre working on your voice at the same time. I also hate when I write a song on guitar but its hard to come up with a decent melody or hit the right notes vocally so Im in key.
>>
>You'll never be aboe to play your favourite song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrB-V5pkEAQ
>>
File: le murder pepe.jpg (32KB, 645x444px) Image search: [Google]
le murder pepe.jpg
32KB, 645x444px
>>51755265
>tfw dont sing
>will never have to feel this feel
feels gud
>>
>>51755296
>Able
>>
>>51755300
Well yeah I shouldnt whine. Im a skinny dude and get tired easy.
I havent properly sung for bands before really. But I want to lead my own band and play my own songs. Ill get there. Just sucks when the melodies that "work" sound too much like another band or something.
Im fortunate that I have the ability to sing certain ways and such. Probably something Im most happy about right now. Everything else seems kinda sucky.
>>
>finish breakcore EP
>dead proud of it
>download a bunch of breakcore
>discover an artist who does exactly what i do but better
>>
>tfw you just started playing an instrument a couple of months ago and the guy who's helping me says in picking up stuff quickly and other people say I should join a band because of my music knowledge but do to know when I should start looking for one
>>
or how about

>you listen to these really talented bands who're milestones ahead of you in what you produce but no ones ever heard about them so whats the chance that you'll make it

im not talking like hitting the radio its more like not playing the same dive bars in a city idk
>>
>>51755372
just because they arent famous doesnt mean u wont get some success
>>
Good musicians are usually never happy with what they release 100% theres always something they will regret not changing

The fact of the matter is if you're good enough you don't feel the need to compare yourself to others
>>
>>51755237
don't stop man. I took a huge break from writing last year and I partially hate myself for it.

the best practice for writing music is to write more music
>>
File: tfw thom yorke.jpg (498KB, 739x900px) Image search: [Google]
tfw thom yorke.jpg
498KB, 739x900px
>>51755359
fugg m8
>>
>>51755385
like im not talking about being famous, but just playing these super small house/bar shows and more than likely trying to make a living off of it just sounds stressful as hell to me
>>
>>51755395
i'm not stopping but i'm not writing the same type of stuff i was before. i'm trying something different.
>>
>>51755183
cant be worse then me

>tfw u wanna start a project/band with people but nobody wants to experiment

all my friends/workers/classmates that are into music
either wanna make hardcore or edm deep house/trap shit or be the next hopsin

so pretty much atm im self teaching myself drums/bass and learning ableton and making /bleeps/
tho it sucks how each week i wanna try a new genre to experiment

Hopefully one of these days i'll meet somebody at a show :(
>>
yo guys everyone post their music and we'll make each other feel better
>>
>>51755434
shit meant the instruments drum and bass guitar
:<
>>
File: Buzz-Thomas-Giles-1.jpg (100KB, 550x458px) Image search: [Google]
Buzz-Thomas-Giles-1.jpg
100KB, 550x458px
Listening to this guy's music always motivates me whenever I feel these feels. "Simple" music can be beautiful too.
>>
>>51755359
shit bro dont remind me
>>
>>51755262
>tfw I haven't picked up an instrument in about a year
>tfw even if i did pick up my old instrument, it would be the motherfucking saxophone

god why didn't i just learn piano? and anyways, i suppose I could try to compose a beefheart-ian masterpiece because I'm inexperienced enough with the piano to play random shit on it
>>
>>51755429
excellent. keep it up bro

what genres do you play? what instrument(s)?
>>
how mediocre which one is yours or theirs?? specify you cunt
>>
>>51755183
99% of the time it's the exact opposite for me except it's like.

>this guy can't patch a synth for shit, these sounds are so weak
>tfw he can actually play well though.
>>
>>51755518
mine. are you retarded or something?
>>
File: 1411645244510.jpg (134KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1411645244510.jpg
134KB, 1920x1080px
>>51755441
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1PjGFT7ppe2
shit recording, but would love some feedback
>>
>>51755571
this is pretty cool man

is this your band or is it all you?
>>
File: that feel when.png (14KB, 1001x823px) Image search: [Google]
that feel when.png
14KB, 1001x823px
>>51755183
>tfw prog keyboardist
>tfw there's a funk guitarist also doing my music course at college
>tfw we've both crossed into each other's genres at times
>tfw we both understand each other's musical language
>tfw we have a genuine Wright/Gilmour thing going on

Hugo, if you're reading this, thank you so much.

>>51755441
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0ngfdQSvmji
One of my prog songs I'm working on.
>>
File: 1109_01.png (131KB, 501x438px) Image search: [Google]
1109_01.png
131KB, 501x438px
>>51755571
>that singing
Use a reverb or a light echo on your voice. The shitty sound quality actually made it pretty cool. It was like listening to some unnamed cassette of a random 90s band you found in a goodwill.
>>
>>51755637
That was really cool.
>>
File: sad and lonely kaishain.jpg (133KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
sad and lonely kaishain.jpg
133KB, 800x800px
>tfw you can't purchase a condenser microphone for god-tier vox because your tascam portastudio doesn't support phantom power

atleast I have this $15 karaoke mic from target...
>>
>>51755637
keep up the great work man

<3
>>
File: cobain suicides.jpg (63KB, 441x495px) Image search: [Google]
cobain suicides.jpg
63KB, 441x495px
>showing your music to your friends
>>
>>51755760
you could get a phantom power adapter.
>>
>>51755792

That's an extra $100 i'm spending to essentially record on a cassette 4-track.
>>
>too scared to perform for anyone

i'm probably a shit singer anyway, so whatever
>>
I have about 200 song ideas written down and lyrics are getting more darker which is slightly worrying

Mostly just concerned because i got asked to join two bands as a vocalist in the last three months and i declined both offers and feel so fucking stupid for doing that..

My confidence keeps holding me back anybody got any past experience like this and any advice?
>>
>join band that's going nowhere because they can't decide on finalized versions of songs
>friends from high school, so it can't be too bad, right?
>spend months rehearsing, and helping them tweak the songs
>real psychedelic sounding
>record EP of what is to be finally be completed versions of these songs
>band decides to have a meeting and fires me because they feel more comfortable as a trio
>"We also want to move in a more chillwave direction"
>EP shelved indefinitely

Holy shit, I had never been fired from a band before, and I would never imagine it would be for this reason.
>>
>>51755359
That's because all breakcore sounds the same unless you're experimenting and mixing different genres/doing something new.
>>
>>51755806
I just googled them and their all under $40 if you use an XLR mic. Also theirs nothing wrong with using cassette 4-track if you use nice cassettes like a type 2 or 4.
>>
>dat feel when making music is a hobby that I have invested countless hours and many thousands of dollars into

Feels good
>>
>>51755835
I also forgot to add

>main songwriter is a friend who insists on playing drums, singing, and playing bass synth
>at the same time

I kept insisting our sound would be tighter if we just had a bassist come aboard. Without me, it's just him, his tambourine playing gf, and our guitarist friend.
>>
File: sanctuary.jpg (28KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
sanctuary.jpg
28KB, 300x200px
>>51755644
do you think the singing is notably good or bad?
>>51755627
thanks man! it's my band, but we've only played together for like 3 weeks
>>
>>51755835
>"We also want to move in a more chillwave direction"
hehe dropped

lel dont be suprised if they use ur ep and get signed
>>
>>51755885
Any Advice for >>51755820
>>
>>51755888
Don't worry about it. You're better off out of that shitshow. He sounds like a dick, and that band will fall apart soon anyways.
>>
>>51755675
>>51755784
Thank you kindly. <3
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0NUvyFsv2tL One of my other WIPs, a more electronic, slightly poppier song about the apocalypse.

>>51755835
>>51755888
Damn, that must fucking suck, to have months of work just canned like that in an instant. Fuck those guys, and I hope your next musical endeavour has a more dignified release.
>>
>>51755934
I wouldn't say that it was bad, but I felt it was kind of grating, sorta like Jeff Mangum. I recommended some reverb/echo so it would take the edge off and give the song a little more space.
>>
>>51755980
Yeah, what bothered me is that the whole experience was a waste of time and money. I feel like never being in a "democratic" band again. I've written 20 songs in the last year and just want to do a David Byrne or Billy Corgan deal where I record everything, release it, and just get some friends to play live with me, but it isn't a band in the classic sense.
>>
>>51756036
but mac demarco does that
same with tame impala
kevin records everything himself
>>
>>51756052
Yeah, that's ideally what I would like to do.

Now it's just a question of whether or not to release it in a string of EP's or drop it onto one album.
>>
>talking to qt grill on tinder
>interests come up, i mention i like to play music
>show her my soundcloud
>"i like this! you've got talent, anon."
>tfw
>>
>>51756391
My Anon!!
>>
>>51755966
Sure, if you join a band you'll get alot better really quickly. Everyone you play with has something to teach and you will probably also be surprised how much you have to teach others.

The only way to get over a lack of confidence is to gain experience, so if you want to be in bands, start saying yes to offers. If you put yourself out there you'll feel alot better even if you flop on your face, which you will, and that's good because that's how you learn. Be willing to laugh at yourself.
>>
>>51756391
this is my dream

except with qt boy instead
>>
>>51756719
I"ll try my best!
>>
>>51755183
>can't make new music unless i try something completely new to me
>don't have any way of doing this because all i have is an analog synth, a vintage drum machine, some guitars, and a mostly broken computer
>max/msp is too complicated for me
>>
>>51755237
i just start songs and suddenly lose all confidence in them, even though they have potential to be really good. i'm just really bored with ableton i guess.
>>
>>51755419

accept the fact that you will never make a living off of music. Even bands that have large cult followings and are pretty successful like Thee Oh Sees have said that they lose money on tours.
>>
>>51755183
>tfw you'll never be able to sweep as well as Lucas Mann
>>
>>51757041
>tfw you can speed up your tracks in pro tools just as well
>>
>>51756391

I've gotten that, except its usually "wow, this is surprisingly good"

I guess that people get a shock from enjoying my music
>>
>>51756391
Keep it up anon! Link to your soundcloud?
>>
>>51757011
thats pretty much the whole artist industry
besides the people who ghost produce/write for pop stars but even then those guys have side jobs or do something else on the side

idk about u guys but I'd like a death grip setup
where i make enough so i can buy all the hardware i want
and just jam the fuck out at local shows near me every weekend

kinda like my own diy scene and release ep and albums for funding
>>
>>51756928
That's plenty m8. I started out typing out midi notes with a computer keyboard. That was shitty.
>>
>want to write lyrics
>realize nothing interesting has ever happened to you
fug
>>
>>51756928
What synth and drum machine. That sounds like a cool setup.
>>
File: beating.gif (569KB, 245x401px) Image search: [Google]
beating.gif
569KB, 245x401px
>>51757227
iktf
>>
>>51757227
>>want to write lyrics
>>realize nothing interesting has ever happened to you
>fug

Same. Most of my lyrics are cringeworthy.

>>51757169

>tfw i would love to be a ghost producer/writer
>tfw not skilled enough
>tfw no link to the musical industry
>>
>>51755571
>would love some feedback
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0D2cuWttFO1
>>
>>51757428

10/10 post
>>
>>51755372
Success is like 70% networking, 20% being at the right place at the right time and 10% actual musicality
>>
>>51757536

>tfw can't network
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.