[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What Jazz records have you been listening to recently? Who's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 243
Thread images: 34

File: mingus ah hum.jpg (110KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
mingus ah hum.jpg
110KB, 300x300px
What Jazz records have you been listening to recently?
Who's your favourite artist
What genres have you been exploring?
What would you recommend to others?
>>
>>51449634
I haven't been listening to much jazz lately (unless you count soft machine) but I listened to Mingus Ah Um for the first time in years yesterday and I was fantastic.
>>
Um go to bed Ryan
>>
>>51449689
Check out Black Saint if you haven't already, it's probably my favourite
Also give The Clown a listen, it's in the archive and is amazing
>soft machine
I listened to Rock Bottom for the first time last week, breddy good
>>
File: image.jpg (19KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19KB, 220x220px
>>51449634
>What Jazz records have you been listening to recently?
Been listening to pic related of late and am currently listening to it now. I think I saw it posted in a /jazz/ a while back but the name stood out to me because I thought it would be spiritual jazz or something (I know, racist).
Really happy I picked it up though, I just love the piano playing. It's all chord based and really chill. Never a terribly large amount of "out" playing but the style he's playing it in doesn't really call for it. Also, considering how old it is, the mix is really good. There's a lovely balance between the bass and drums which you don't really get in older recordings here. By which I mean you can actually hear the bass and it sounds lovely too. Real swinging.
>Who's your favourite artist
Probably Duke Ellington but I'd be just as happy naming about 10 other artists in his place. Duke has just been a really long standing one that's been with me since I was 13 and he means a lot to me because he was the first artist I really explored outside the norm.
>What genres have you been exploring?
Not specifically genres but I've been listening to a lot of The Grateful Dead and Soft Machine recently.
>What would you recommend to others?
I'd reccomend that everyone listen to that one artist who they've known about for ages. Who, when they come up in conversation Make you think: "oh yeah I've heard good things about him" but you just never seem to get around to them.
>>
>>51449712
Black saint is the best. I haven't heard clown though will check out. Thanks.
>>
Ornette Coleman is a favourite of mine at the minute.

Also really enjoying Peter Brötzmanns stuff
>>
>>51449737
>Also really enjoying Peter Brötzmanns stuff

hehe so 4v4nt & k00l ;D
>>
>>51449689
>>51449712
>people talking about Soft Machine
How amazing is Ratlidges synth? It's like he took the harshest stuff Sun Ra was doing and actually made it sound good. When Sun Ra does stuff sounding like that it just sounds very uninspired and dry but Ratlidges makes it sound vicious and alive. There is actual passion behind what he's playing and he doesn't seem to get the credit that Wyatt and Ayers got. Even though Ayers didn't even do that much on the one record he did play on.
>>
>>51449757
Shh bbe. He can like free jazz if he wants to. Don't be so cynical.
>>
>>51449757
He writes interesting stuff brah
>>
>>51449775
He doesn't really write much of anything. He improvs just about everything.
>>
>>51449783
Composes then
>>
>>51449783
so, what's the big deal here
>>
>>51449736
Aw sheet nigga you in for an experience.
>dat opening bass solo
>dem osinatos that build to a crescendo
>dat moment when Mingus does that hollering thing
Jesus I love Hatian Fight song.
>>
>>51449798
>>51449801
I no big deal I just wouldn't call it writing or composing. Probably just "playing". I'm not>>51449757 btw.
>>
>>51449761
I've only been listening to SM for a bit and there are time where I'm surprised at the tones he was getting out of his synth. Really interesting textures there. Outside of the first 2 albums I think Ratlidge and Hopper were really the core of the band.
>>
>>51449806
>the last 2 minutes of Hatian Fight Song
literally can do nothing but slap my desk and dance in my chair
>>
>>51449816
They were and they did a damn good job leading after Wyatt left for fifth. He is a great drummer and contributed hugely to third and fourth which were their best albums but I feel like fifth has become like the "soon over babaluma" of their discog.
The sax is fantastic in it, you can feel they were deffinate you aspiring to be recognised as a really innovative jazz group and they were clearly listening to the stuff that Miles Davis was doing at the time and incorporating it into their playing.
The way I see it, they were working towards the same place as Davis was but from Rock as a starting point. Which is probably why they don't get the recognition they deserve even though they were doing really innovative work in jazz fusion.
>they started canturbury scene
Isn't really that fantastic a complement because not many people know or care what that is.
>>
File: cover.jpg (104KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
104KB, 600x600px
>>51449634
I've been relistening to pic related recently, definitely a 2013 highlight
>>
>>51449830
I just love that bit where the drummer responds to Mingus in his last solo. It's like he was just listening to him and thought "yes this is my time to shine" and Mingus goes along for like 3 phrases and then goes off on another huge run.
>>
>>51449878
What type of jazz is it?
>>
File: Portico Quartet Cover.jpg (155KB, 560x560px) Image search: [Google]
Portico Quartet Cover.jpg
155KB, 560x560px
My favourite.
>>
>>51449892
post bop I guess, definitely not free jazz
the Moutin bros are always a safe bet when it comes to french jazz
>>
>>51449634
Would people here be interested in doing a nothing but jazz Jamuary? Last time we tried to it was a bit of a flop but I feel like that was because it was disorganised.
If it was done properly with a paste bin and regular Sharethreads would people be interested?
>>
>>51449960
yea
>>
>>51449933
Ohh, that's a really pretty cover. Downloading because shiny things.
>>
>>51449933
dude so good
>>
>>51449634
Actually listening to a lot of Mingus lately - The Black Saint and The Sinner Lady ftw
>>
>>51449960
>nothing but jazz Jamuary
needs more alliteration
>>
>>51450048
bebop january course suingde
>>
>>51449954
>french jazz
I might give these guys a listen so. The only French jazz I know is pierre boussaguet. Unless you count Magma.m
>>
>>51450048
Just Jazz January
duh
>>
>>51450059
>course suingde
that's the captcha please ignore
>>
File: image.jpg (16KB, 200x270px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16KB, 200x270px
>>51450069
This pleases me.
>>
>>51449634
At Basin Street, Ellington at Newport,Pres and Teddy, and Booker Little (the album) are recent favorites.

Mingus probably. Either him or Coltrane

been getting into western art music lately. Brahms is probably my favorite composer.

i think that everyone needs to listen to more "traditional" jazz like Bebop, early big bands, and Louis Armstrong. Roots are important yo.
>>
>>51450063
>The only French jazz I know is pierre boussaguet

this man is so incredible I shit my pants in exitement everytime I get a new album where he plays. by far my favorite non US bass player
>>
>>51450122
do you have any Dixieland recs?
I was interested in it a while ago, but found it hard to get a solid starting point and just gave up
>>
File: image.jpg (20KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20KB, 300x300px
>>51450122
>Louis Armstrong
Nigga you don't know how happy it makes me to see people who care about Louis. So underappriciated on 4chan.
http://youtu.be/tAlrpx40UnE
>>51450135
Kinda sad to say I've also only heard Charme.
>>
File: cover1.jpg (60KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
cover1.jpg
60KB, 360x360px
>>51450219
>Kinda sad to say I've also only heard Charme

one of his best. the poem Guy Lafitte reads on the eponymous track gets me everytime

I have this one uploaded where he plays as a sideman if you want : http://www10.zippyshare.com/v/64758464/file.html
>>
File: its nation time.jpg (274KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
its nation time.jpg
274KB, 600x600px
this is amazing, also Black Mass with Sun Ra
>>
File: joemcphee.jpg (61KB, 402x500px) Image search: [Google]
joemcphee.jpg
61KB, 402x500px
>>51450264
>the poem Guy Lafitte reads on the eponymous track gets me everytime
>tfw spend 6 years learning French and barely understand a word he's saying

Thanks a bunch anon! gonna go listen to it after my current album is up.

>>51450290
>WHAT TIME IS IT!!!???
>>
>>51450369
>tfw spend 6 years learning French and barely understand a word he's saying

he has a quite strong southern french accent, that's maybe one of the reasons you don't understand him well. I have the same problem with a bunch of english accents like Texas and Indian
>>
File: 51tgul5xMUL._SL500_AA280_.jpg (17KB, 280x280px) Image search: [Google]
51tgul5xMUL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
17KB, 280x280px
Pic related what I'm listening to on this winter morning
Really encompasses that modern jazz feeling you'd expect from a vocal group. Nice, laid back at times but energetic at others. I highly recommend it.

When I was in the IB program in high school, this 5/4 song called Restless Feet was on the music portion and I really dug it. It took me about a year to find it because it was driving me mad to not hear the whole thing. Finally found it, ended up enjoying the whole album.
>>
>>51450397
I'm just not very good with languages. I can speak Irish near fluently but only like 50,000 people speak that.
I just wasn't very good at French in school. I think I got a B in our equivalent of the bac but it was a shaky B.

>Indian
I wouldn't worry about that. Nobody can understand them speaking English.
>>
>>51450264
That cover is really cool. I like the instruments with the players names on them, it's really creative. Really enjoying the album too.
>>
>>51450837
I do agree, this cover has some appeal, and I'm glad you're not disappointed with the content !
unfortunately that's the biggest res I found. I wish I had a scanner to make my own
>>
>>51450896
I know, I went looking for bigger sizes but 300x300 is the biggest I could find. I like the idea though, even if I can't make out all the detail.
>>
>>51449634

Also Mingus, but his 1972 work; Let My Children Hear Music. Traditionally considered "third stream", but even the attempt to make music from such an unnatural genre sounds good. This is an amazing expression of creativity, "Don't Be Afraid, The Clown's Afraid Too" imitates elephant noises with its sax melody for an example. Just really, really interesting that isn't as avant-garde and hard to get into as some of Dolphy's lesser known works.

>Who's your favorite artist?

Thelonious Monk probably, if you're talking about music history in its entirety probably The Clash.

Neo-psychedelia.

The newer works of Vashti Bunyan.
>>
File: cover.jpg (116KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
116KB, 500x500px
>>
>>51450968
>>51450122
>>51450047
>>51449736
>>51449689
>>51449634
lotta Mingus itt. Y'all need some Ellington in your life.
>>
>>51451018
hey man i said ellington at newport is a recent favorite
>>
>>51451117
So you did. Actually, you're doing just fine if you're actually promoting jazz that isn't rymcore.
>>
>>51449735
ahmad is one of the best. a fave of miles
>>
>>51451018
>>51449634

I actually have been meaning to check out Duke Ellington.

Louis Armstrong, (more Mingus), Billie Holliday, Nina Simone, Charlie Parker, Shelly Manne, Fela Kuti, Art Blakey and Dizzy Gillespie.

Kinda new to Jazz honestly, I've currently been digging Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, John Coltrane, Ornette Coleman, some Fela Kuti, Thelonious Monk, Herbie Hancock and some Sun Ra. I've really been enjoying Brubeck's Time Further Out, Davis' Live-Evil, Coleman's This Is Our Music and Free Jazz recently. Also started reading Davis' autobiography and it's really engaging for me - the nostalgia he has for fond childhood memories and early recording sessions, as well as love and fondness for musicians that he didn't even always get along with is quite endearing.
>>
>>51451198
Fela Kuti is fucking incredible but don't know if you can call it jazz
>>
>>51451198
>Also started reading Davis' autobiography
I hear that's supposed to be hilarious, he supposedly just calls everyone motherfuckers as much as Louis called everyone pops.
I've heard the bit where he talked about Hendrix and loved it. Really ought to get around to reading it.
>Dizzy Gillespie
>Louis Armstrong
Watch this, it's an incredible piece of jazz history.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO1uMjz3n3w
>>51451219
He's close enough. Afrobeat rhythms instead of swing but it's got so much of the ethos and spirit of jazz that I count it.
>>
File: cover.jpg (18KB, 280x280px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
18KB, 280x280px
>>51450936
it seems to be a rule for Boussaguet's cover arts to be in shit quality on the web. it took some time, but here you go if you want more of him (here playing Ellington's tunes in duo with pianist Alain Jean-Marie)

Pierre Boussaguet & Alain Jean-Marie - Still Dukish
http://www17.zippyshare.com/v/48231930/file.html
>>
>>51451265
Mingus' Beneath the underdog is also a pretty fun reading, there is some fucked up shit in this book
>>
>>51451265
dizzy is so cool. why can't i be cool like dizzy?
>>
>>51451305
>http://www17.zippyshare.com/v/48231930/file.html
Adding it to muh backlog. I'll probably listen to it once I get over
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO1uMjz3n3w
Every time I remember this thing I feel compelled to listen to it a couple of times. It's just so wonderful.
>>51451340
They're both awesome.
>Your parasol is juicy boy
>pitter patter pitter patter it looks like rain
>dat grin on Louis
Also, I'm pretty sure that Louis and Dizzy share the earliest recorded high five at the end.
>>51451335
I can imagine. He was such an angry guy I'd imagine it'd just be funny to hear him tell stories about his temper. Getting fired and walking out on a recording session with his idol, hitting his trombone player so hard he lost an octave of his range, trying to break his piano player's fingers during a concert, etc.
>>
>>51451426
>trying to break his piano player's fingers during a concert
who was the pianist? and why did he try to break his fingers?
>>
File: cover.jpg (159KB, 953x953px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
159KB, 953x953px
>>51450219
Hey
Can you rec me more albums?
I love his early work. bud do you know any other album/compilation of his Early work that doesnt sound like some just "live" vinyl recording, i mean, i can hear how the vinyl is on the player Is killing my ears! i want it clean
I dont really care for his vocal period.
>>
File: unity.png (581KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
unity.png
581KB, 500x500px
Last thing i've listened.
So intense, one of the best live jazz albums i've listened.
>>
>>51451265
Haha yeah man, he says "Motherfuckers" so much it's great.There's definitely some intense moments though, he definitely came off as confrontational, a no-bullshit sorta guy and there's some interesting but dark moments in that book too, from arguments, death threats, racist experiences and so much more. It's like a real rollercoaster but Miles had a story to tell about nearly everything.
>>
>>51451219
I've always seen Afrobeat as derivative of jazz music. It's definitely a form of jazz.
>>
File: cover.jpg (59KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
59KB, 600x600px
>>51451503
not early work, but great and non vocal
>>
>>51451568
Thanks! Gonna download.
>>
Where do I go after Dark Magus?
>>
>>51451472
> At one of his concerts in Philadelphia -- and a memorial to a dead colleague at that -- he broke up the show by slamming the piano lid down, nearly smashing his pianist's hands, and then punched trombonist Jimmy Knepper in the mouth.
Not entirely sure. I've heard this from http://www.allmusic.com/artist/charles-mingus-mn0000009680/biography
but you could probably find more details in >>51451335
I'd imagine he was just disasitsfied with the playing though.
>>51451503
Such is the woes of listening to early Armstrong. I have the "Complete Hot Fives and Sevens" which is mastered in the best way modern technology can handle but there is only so much you can do with recordings from the 1920s.
There are plenty of really fantastic albums from his later career that feature very good singing and trumpet playing but he did stylistically change to more pop orientated stuff. There's still some very impressive (and usually really good spirited) recordings though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2TUlUwa3_o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHKjA81m_R4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IJzYAda1wA
See if you can get his WC Handy album. That one is great.
>>51451536
Pic related is one of the best photos I've ever seen. It's just so fucking funny and captures Miles' attitude so much. If only looks could kill, we'd not have to deal with people thinking all jazz is smooth jazz.
>>
>>51451646
this is one of my favourite pictures in music history
>>
>>51451643
Agharta
>>
File: DavisPangaea.jpg (22KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
DavisPangaea.jpg
22KB, 200x200px
>>51451643
Such an intense record. Have you heard Pangaea?
>>
>>51451646
Holy shit Miles looks pissed

Is that actually Kenny G? Is there a context for this image? Like, how did they meet and why did Miles look so fucking pissed?
>>
>>51451718
because he's a white guy trying to play jazz and doing a shitty job at it, but getting undeserved fame
>>
File: Miles-Davis-Charcoal.jpg (447KB, 550x728px) Image search: [Google]
Miles-Davis-Charcoal.jpg
447KB, 550x728px
>>51451536
The guy who reads audio version does it in Miles voice, which is even funnier.
>>
>>51451718
Kenny G opened for him a few times in his later career.
>ccording to Kenny G, Davis didn’t talk much, but he did teach Kenny G a big lesson. They were playing at Lincoln Center, two shows in one night. Kenny G opened the first show, then between shows, Davis paid him a visit.

“[Davis] comes into my dressing room, says, 'Man that was great. You were great. I’m going to open for you second show.’ I’m thinking to myself, ‘Yeah, you know what, I’ve made it.’ By the time I got on stage it was midnight. Out of 3,000 people, there were about 100 left,” laughed Kenny G. “That guy knew what he was doing. He just didn’t want to stay there late.” Kenny G said as an opening act, that’s what happens.

He's just so fucking oblivious to how shit he is. It's hilarious.
>>
>>51451646
Oh god just staring at that photo I know I wouldn't want to ever have been on Miles' bad side. Reading his autobiography, there's a part of the book early on where he says he can just tell in an instant whether he was going to like you or not. He feels like he can't explain why he knows it, but I bet Kenny G was one he must've been frustrated by haha
>>
>>51451646
Thanks dude
>>
>>51451741
Hah okay I'm gonna have to hear that sometime.
>>
>>51451749
lel
>>
>>51451738
Nope, Miles stood up for the guy " because the chicks dug him" and I would say because it pissed everybody else off.
>>
Regarding Miles, this is coming soon:

http://mvdb2b.com/s/MilesDavisJohnColtraneAllOfYouTheLastTour/ACQCD7076
>>
File: front1.jpg (22KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
front1.jpg
22KB, 300x300px
>>51451867
pic
>>
Btw, people interested in Miles' fusion stuff should check out
>>51450902
>>
File: legendary_musicians_25.jpg (54KB, 460x700px) Image search: [Google]
legendary_musicians_25.jpg
54KB, 460x700px
>>51451265
The Mothers Of Invention were originally The Motherfuckers, that is guys who could really play.
>>
What's the album that got you guys into jazz?

For me, it was Herbie Hancock's Headhunters. Before it, I was pretty ignorant with jazz and didn't know much about it. I had this idea in my head that most jazz had to be laid back and easy going so Headhunters really smashed that idea to pieces for me. I also grew to love that cool jazz sound later with stuff like Brubeck's Time Out and Davis' Kind Of Blue which I'd credit for helping me get into cool jazz.
>>
File: william_parke.jpg (16KB, 259x360px) Image search: [Google]
william_parke.jpg
16KB, 259x360px
how do I into William Parker?
>>
>>51452222
probably Jaco Pastorius s/t
>>
>>51452222
the black saint from mingus, the first time i heard it it blew my mind
>>
>>51452222
I was taking bass lessons with this guy who taught in universities and recommended I check out some jazz. He told me to look up Duke Ellington and I fell in love with
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDQpZT3GhDg
Then I picked up a comp of his early stuff which I listened to religiously. Still love to put it on, I know loads of those songs off by heart.
>>
I love Louis Armstrong but fuck anyone who thinks the only song he has made is What A Wonderful World.
>>
>>51452285
Pretty sure most people also know Dream a little dream of me, La vie En Rose and (maybe) Hello Dolly.
Which are all great songs too.
>>
File: front.jpg (31KB, 500x500px)
front.jpg
31KB, 500x500px
>>51452241
He has done a lot of stuff as a sideman. Everything where he plays with Hamid Drake (drummer) is worth checking out. Peter Brötzmann's Die Like a Dog Quartet is pretty great.

As for his own stuff, pic related might be a good starting point to his various groups.
>>
>>51452241
Honestly, Parker is really great and you could probably just pick an album at random and it would be good. Wood Flute Songs gives the greatest overview of all of his work, but it''s also super daunting. I'd say pick up The Peach Orchard, Touchin' on Trane, Never Too Late But Always Too Early, Petite Oiseau, and Painter's Spring. Also, if you're into Curtis Mayfield, maybe try I Plan to Stay a Believer.
>>
So I consider myself a jazz pleb and would like to explore the genre more. In a Silent Way is one one of my overall favourite records, and I also like Miles' 70s fusion era records + live performances a lot. I've also liked A Love Supreme. Oh and, while not a jazz record, Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire is up there on my top list as well.

Please recommend me some stuff that I would potentially like.
>>
>>51452327
I was listening to his work in the Feel Trio with Cecil Taylor and Tony Oxley a bunch, because I like both of them a bunch, but yeah his discography is totally daunting.

http://youtu.be/aCyLy59IVoQ

this shit is solid gold though, possibly the best free jazz trio work i've ever heard. thanks for the rec though
>>
I exclusively listen to whiteys (Bill Evans et al).
>>
>>51452350
Sun RA's Sleeping Beauty
>>51451953
Soft Machine from Third onward
Herbie Hancock's Sextant
>>
>>51452222
A Love Supreme
I was actually put off the genre for ages because I thought Kind of Blue was boring
nice quads btw
>>
>>51452368
That's a pretty crazy boxset I haven't listened to yet.
>>
>>51452222
>>51452260
Yeah Black Saint for me also

Before that I had the ignorant view that jazz mostly sounded the same
>>
>>51452499
Nice, A Love Supreme is just instantly enjoyable for me. I'd have been blown away even more if it was the first jazz album I heard.
>>
>>51452222
Possibly BADBADNOTGOOD's work. I was really ignorant of jazz and heard their renditions of hip-hop instrumentals and I loved what they did with it. The sounds of the instruments, their improv segments, it was exciting for me, so I decided to check out artists they enjoyed in jazz and basically started digging into the essentials after.
>>
>>51452499
Out of curiosity have you changed your mind? I would be interested to know how many people who went from rock to jazz think of the early albums they heard.
>>
>>51452718
That's pretty awesome. Most people here tend not to like BBNG but it's great that they got you to explore a new genre.
>>
I want to recommend some recent albums to everybody:

Eric Revis- In Memory of Things Yet Seen
Chris Potter- The Sirens
Alex Sipiagin- Overlooking Moments
Craig Taborn- Chants
Marc Ribot- Live at the Village Vanguard
>>
>>51452752
Yeah, and I'd say it's not a bad way of getting into jazz either. They're easily accessible and performed covers of popular tracks (and even some instrumentals on some of OF's works) so for me, it was pretty easy for me to click with them as I love a lot of hip-hop, and it just excited me to come across a new genre to me. I think it's a bit disappointing some don't explore much jazz after BBNG but it's definitely an easy way of sinking into the genre imo.
>>
>>51452222
headhunters to kind of blue to shape of jazz to come

after that i was p much into all jazz
>>
>>51452795
jtg-core
>>
>>51452821
Nice, that covers so many stages so quickly.
>>
>>51452795
>Chris Potter- The Sirens
>Alex Sipiagin- Overlooking Moments
>Craig Taborn- Chants
Muh fucking nigga. Especially on The Sirens. God Damn Potter is fantastic. His tone is really...earthy? I'm not sure how to describe it but there's so much soul to his playing.
I've not read the Odessey (I don't have the patience or competancy) but I was really captivated by the aural pictures he was painting. Like I know the story of The Sirens and I could really visualize the scene perfectly from the mood he was establishing. Also: best Cello in a jazz album since Eric Dolphy using it in some of his records.
I wish more people would do this kind of thing, jazz albums inspired by books. I'd love to hear a post bop album based on A Brave New World or something.
>>51452813
I think they tend to get hate because people say "yeah, I quite like a bit of jazz. BBNG is muh jam" when they aren't really that jazzy. There's influence but I think it'd be more apt for someone to say they like jazz based on liking ITCOCK and Gong.
>>51452861
The best kind of -core mang.
>>
>>51452861
i would suck his cock if i can!
>>
>>51452861
>implying that's a bad thing
>>
File: scruff.jpg (155KB, 538x873px) Image search: [Google]
scruff.jpg
155KB, 538x873px
scaruffi's favourite jazz albums
thoughts?
>>
>>51452861
what's jtg
>>
>>51453006
i dont agree in his taste for sun ra but it's a surprisingly standard list
>>
>>51453006
Not a bad list. I don't really pay attention to what Scaruffi says but there's some great stuff on there. Plus, I've been looking for more Sun Ra albums to check out and I've yet to hear Atlantis and The Magic City so I best do that now
>>
I've been listening to a lot of Last Exit
>>
>>51452933
Yes the more I listen to Chris Potter the more I realize how amazing an versatile he really is. Plus the Sirens and Destinations Unknown (ultra jtg-core) got me really interested in Craig Taborn who's also amazing. I'd like to see Potter, Taborn and maybe Sipiagin collab more together in the future and hopefully make some even more out-there free jazz type stuff.
>>
>>51453006
Mostly good selections, a few bad ones
>>
>>51453019
The main jazz tripfag. I'm surprised he not in this thread already actually.
>>
>>51452933
Chris Potter is a souless robot.

Hur dur ma over perfectly constructed licks and ma perfect technique
>>
>>51453006
I think it shows his blatant lack of knowledge or regard for jazz history. Even though he claims to have a well rounded opinion on music that is founded on the thoughts of critics.
>Sun RA - Atlantis
>Albert Ayler Spiritual Unity
Jesus fucking Christ.
>>51452986
>>51452986
>>51452990
>>51452933
Sometimes I worry that jtg thinks we're all sycophantic asshats. But then I remember how awesome he is.
>>51453098
I only actually listened to chants recently and I was very impressed. JTG really knows his stuff and I usually enjoy stuff he's impressed with. Hell I've found most of my favourites from him. He's the reason I have worked my way through most of Woody Shaw's discog.
>>
>>51453160
whats wrong with atlantis
>>
File: 51vcB1qwJRL.jpg (52KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
51vcB1qwJRL.jpg
52KB, 500x500px
this was the first real Jazz record I listened to and I thought it was pretty good. Favourites were Off Minor and Trinkle, Tinkle.

Where should I go from here?
>>
>>51453155
Oh fair enough. I'm kinda casually in and out of /jazz/ generals so I don't take much notice of specific trip names. I usually forget them after I leave the threads heh, I just normally don't remember stuff like that well
>>
>>51453158
>anybody who has good technique is "soulless"

kek
>>
>>51453155
He plays in church on Sundays
>>
>>51453160
Not heard Atlantis yet, why is it a bad choice?
>>
>>51453177
Nothing in particular. It's not one of his better free albums imo. Too dry.
It's more just comical to see it on this list because it confirms Scaruffi as a contrarian.
>Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane
It's like he went and listened to all that jazz music throughout history and came to the conclusion that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmo4Le8WTAc
was one of the greatest things to come out of the genre.
That and he also decided it was a good idea to ignore early jazz stars because he thinks it's too much effort to pick a good comp and he also ignored all live recordings. Like it's just ridiculous, it's like he knows next to nothing about jazz culture which I find hard to believe considering he's written a book on the subject. I'd be dubious about how much he's making up though. Especially considering he never even bothered to rate a single jazz album.
>>51453158
Gotta disagree with you hun, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5l4ub9vVwc
I deffinatly get where you're coming from but you listen to a track like the title track and I can't hear anything but him playing exactly how he feels. There's no excessive out playing or overplaying and he's really feeling the mood of the song.
I do understand where you're coming from and to an extent I wish he'd be a bit less mechanical but I usually really enjoy when he get's all technical.
>>
File: BlakeyMonk.jpg (14KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
BlakeyMonk.jpg
14KB, 220x220px
>>51453198
try out Monk's collab with Art Blakey.
>>
>>51453271
For real? That's kinda cool. I don't come in these threads often enough, so is he just a real know-it-all about jazz? Outside of playing in church (if you're serious), does he record music?
>>
>>51453006
>free jazz and avant-garde jazz everywhere
>throws in Coltrane and Davis to smooth things out
Lel.
>>
File: jtgchart.jpg (1MB, 1536x2976px) Image search: [Google]
jtgchart.jpg
1MB, 1536x2976px
>>51453706
>know-it-all
Not the way I'd phrase it but yes. He is really into jazz and is the main reason these threads exist. He's gotten half the people in here into jazz and really puts a lot of effort in to promoting it. He made pic related. He does play and he's uploaded some bossa stuff to vocaroo a few times which you could probably find if you looked through the archive. He plays piano.
>>
File: front1.jpg (52KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
front1.jpg
52KB, 600x600px
>>51453098
You should check out this album.
>>
>>51453198
Solo Monk and then Brilliant Corners to complete your Monk 101 education I'd say.
>>
>>51453774
Will do. Thanks.
>>
>>51453271
>He plays in church on Sundays
Is he there all day? What time is it in 'murica land?
>>
>>51453761
That's cool, I'll keep an eye out for him in these threads then. I don't mean anything insulting by the phrase "know-it-all," it just sounds like he is clearly well educated in jazz music. I've also seen this chart before actually and I found it quite useful and interesting to read too with all of the details about different jazz movements. I kinda wish more charts were organised like that.
>>
>>51454090
IKR. I was thinking about making a prog rock one in this style. I've seen requests for one done like this for Western Art music too. Which I think would be awesome if any of the /classical/ fags are in here.
>>
>>51453761
How old is JTG?
>>
>>51454147
Some say he's as old as time itself.
>>
>>51453984
Black churches sometimes go well into the afternoon. I'm guessing he plays at a black church
>>
>>51454195
Damn...
>>
>>51454196
We should really ask him sometime what it's like when he plays in the church.
>>
>>51452735
I still love A Love Supreme, and whilst I appreciate Kind of Blue, it's still not an album I go to that much. I prefer things a little more explosive
>>
File: Louis_Prima.jpg (43KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
Louis_Prima.jpg
43KB, 800x450px
Controvertial opinion coming through:
Louis Prima was a really good vocal jazz act. He had great phrasing, a lovely tone, he had great showmanship and played his trumpet really well to suit the aesthetic he was going for.
He was a bit of a reactionary and was largely doing jazz for the sake of popularity but I don't think that detracts from his work. He set out to make catchy pop music and did a damn good job at it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDkLSjsiqlM
Also:
>That incredible change over to I Ain't got Nobody
>>
>>51453122
Which ones are bad?
>>
Eloquence- Bill Evans, Eddie Gomez
Tad Dameron & Miles Davis Quintet 1949
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL_Sqwkbys8
Night Dreamer- Wayne Shorter
Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus- Charles Mingus
Bill Evans, Sun Ra, Wayne Shorter
vaporwave
Listen to complete albums, chances are if its good you wont like it right away.
>>
>>51455970
>vaporwave
What is the appeal in cheesy slowed down Dianna Ross songs?
>>
>>51456017
Not that guy, but some view it as satirical of pristine pop music and consumerism, whereas others like the nostalgic sound of airy, ethereal melodies, sampling, or whatever. Sometimes it can be quite atmospheric and other times it's reminiscent of DJ Screw's chopped & screwed technique.
>>
>>51456017
it's polyrhythmic, I dig the CHUH ords, and vapor aesthetics such as the pith modulation, over-the-top-corn-ball lyrics, and the fender rodes make my pussy wet...
What's so good about it? I guess I get what those cats are trying to do. Wanna know my dirty fantasy? VaporBop with Mic Ride.
>>
>>51456225
those pentatonic melodies
>>
>>51454290
I play with a drummer and then 6-10 singers. They send me mp3's of the songs they want to do and I arrange them and teach them their parts if they need help. The lead singer controls the form of the song with hand signals. Then I improvise on those songs with the drummer during prayer and other parts of the service. It's a good gig.
>>
>Listen to recently
Zimbo Trio - Zimbo

>Favorite
Eric Dolphy, Sun Ra

>Exploring
Retro Pornography Scores

>Recommend
Ruphus - 'Flying Colours'
More proggish but I still consider it Jazz. I normally prefer instrumentals, but the vocalist has intensity, a good amount of their stuff is great IMO.
>>
>>51456456
I play church as well in Oakland California.
>30 minutes of soloing on fancy synth
>pays $100
>free cake
>>
>>51449735
>Grateful Dead
muh nigga. So good. I will always stand by the idea that they were one of the earliest, if not the first, jazz fusion group
>>
>>51456456
>Then I improvise on those songs with the drummer during prayer
why would you improv whilst people are trying to pray?
>>
File: steely-dan-gaucho-1980.jpg (587KB, 1414x1414px) Image search: [Google]
steely-dan-gaucho-1980.jpg
587KB, 1414x1414px
>>51449634

pic related. I have only ever listened to Aja and since I am pretty big on jazz rock in general, not very experienced with the genre, I just really enjoy what I've heard, this album was on freeleech on what.cd and I gave it a twist. Not as immediately catching as Aja, I am about to give it another spin. I love their production though, it is so crisp.

>Who's your favorite artist?
Either Keith Jarrett or Dave Brubeck.

Third stream jazz and progressive jazz as of late.

City Of Glass by Stan Kenton.
>>
>>51456735
Why would you assume that improvisation would prevent them from praying? Improvising /= soloing. Depending on the mood of the prayer and congregation how I play the pieces changes a great deal. I like to think I do it tastefully.
>>
I don't usually listen to jazz but I really really liked a couple songs by dave brubeck and herbie hancock. I listened to an album yesterday by andrew hill called point of departure that I found really damn enjoyable. I'm just looking for an entry point into the genre. I don't like that stuff that sounds like it's just being improvised by playing a ton of random notes. That sounds really lame to me. I also dislike the stuff that sounds like background music to a nice restaurant.
>>
>>51453006
Weirdly enough, on his best modern recordings list (found on the same page in the sidebar) the Albert Ayler album he singles out is Witches and Devils, even though it ranked like 89th on the Jazz list.
>>
>>51456822
I like to think church is for silent reflection
>>
>>51456864
*prayer
>>
File: 51NlV7kUZfL.jpg (45KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
51NlV7kUZfL.jpg
45KB, 500x500px
>>51452222
Out of simple curiosity, honestly, just because I was drawn to the cover, I got a hold of pic related and just started there. I was not really feeling it until "Take Five" kicked in. Since then, I have been a fan of both Dave Brubeck and piano jazz in general.
>>
File: whddya want from me.jpg (125KB, 699x443px) Image search: [Google]
whddya want from me.jpg
125KB, 699x443px
>>51456736
OH ya. The Dan.
Brings me right back to hanging out with my friend at his dad's on the weekends. He would let us get totally wrecked. If it weren't for that, I would have not liked them so much to this day. (and been an alcoholic since so early)
>>
>>51449634
My Latin professor told me about that album.
>>
>>51456864
Well I think you'll find that different denominations and churches have wildly different ideas about things like that. Growing up I went to a traditional Lutheran church and music was only for hymns or parts of communion rituals and things like that.

At this current church they want music going on pretty much through the whole service except for during the sermon. Personally I think it's weird to play behind the gospel reading but it's expected of me so I do it.
>>
>>51456913
Brubeck is such a good place to start, it didn't work so well for me personally though. One of my friends is huge on jazz music and kept trying to get me into it with Dave Brubeck's music and I remember rather ignorantly referring to it as "elevator muzak" which I realise now is ignorant and quite cocky, but I guess I must've also been listening to more aggressive music at the time so I wasn't in much of a place to comment on Brubeck properly. I wasn't in the right mind frame I guess.

I'm so glad I revisited his music when I started getting into jazz though. I especially love Time Changes for "Elementals." It blows me away every time.
>>
>>51457016
do you go to black church?
>>
>>51456718
I wouldn't have thought of them in that context. Like in my mind there is a definite separation between jam bands and jazz fusion. Although there are characteristics that are similar between the two and both are really enjoyable.
>>51456841
Just listen to more jazz fusion. Not Miles' stuff though. That'd probably be a bit "out there" for you.
Listen to Mahavishnu Orchestra - The inner Mounting Flame then:
Try >>51452413
But move from the bottom up (Hanock first then Soft Machine, etc.).
>>
>>51452222
A Tribute To Jack Johnson
Easily the best way to introduce someone to jazz.
>>
>>51449634
Don't really like Mingus Ah Um.

Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is much better in my opinion.

Lately I've been loving Keith Jarrett's Vienna Concert. To me it's not really "jazz" but is classified as jazz. Also Miles Davis' In A Silent Way is my favourite album of all time. Again, I don't really think of it as jazz but that's how it's classified.

>>51451265
he doesn't just call pople motherfuckers, literally everything is a motherfucker.

Miles comes across as insecure and having a huge chip on his shoulder though. In the book and in interviews. I would probably not like the man in real life but apparently despite his moodiness he could be an interesting guy.
>>
>>51457057
Of courshe
>>
>>51451265
>tfw no Dizzy/Louis vocal jazz album
>>
>>51451738
>>51451819
funny thing is Miles had more respect for guys like Kenny G and hip hop artists who were trying to be hip and modern than guys who were trying to play like him or Charlie Parker and stuck in old jazz mentality
>>
>>51457180
Well I vehemently disagree with him then. I'd listen to Wynton Marsaillis over Kenny G any day.
>>
>>51452222
Frank Zappa gradually got me into him with his jazz influences
>>
>>51457016
>>51457057
>>51457129
IS JTG BLACK?

More at 11:00
>>
>>51457016

How often do you record your performances? Maybe home recordings?

Also how do you usually play the organ? With a jazz influence to it or just typical gospel organ stuff? Have you even been tempted to jam with an organ similarly to how The Doors' keyboardist would play?
>>
>>51457233
This just in, JTG is also the immortal reincarnation of Bud Powell
>>51454195
>>
File: th.jpg (14KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
14KB, 300x300px
>>51449634
I've been listening to tracks off of A Dreamer's Christmas by John Zorn for the holiday season.
>Who's your favorite artist
John Zorn, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Charles Mingus
Shoegaze, Noise Pop, Zorn-core, Film Soundtracks
FIRE! Orchestra- Exit
Any Naked City album
Any John Zorn's Dreamers albums
Chick Corea- Now He Sings, Now He Sobs
>>
>>51457129
have/could you ever make a Gospel essentials?
>>
>>51453271
is he christianfag?
>>
>>51457301
>John Zorn Christmas album
Not gonna lie, that sounds like it would literally be the least enjoyable album in history.
>>
>>51452222
Honestly, probably King Crimson's jazz fusion work. That's the earliest I probably started really engaging with anything jazz affiliated.

But my first solely jazz album was probably Sun Ra's Space Is The Place. I wasn't keen on it at first and I was going on a recommendation from someone (although I really wish they told me it wasn't going to be a good starting place for beginners to jazz but whatever), but I ended up loving it after multiple listenings. It's very rewarding imo.
>>
>>51457301

> John Zorn christmas album

How is it? Got a link to any tracks from it I can hear?
>>
>>51457067
True, although I consider The Dead, Allman Brothers Band, and Phish to be in their own class and not really in the jam band category.
Interestingly enough, The Dead's main influence was Coltrane and Duane Allman was heavily influenced by Miles and Coltrane. So much that he listened to Kind of Blue every for several years up to his death and that he wanted to add a third guitarist in the Allmans so it would be like a jazz horn section.
>>
>>51453098
>listening to these two records
>not then taking notice of Eric Harland
>>
>>51457362
>>51457390
It's for the whole family. Don't let the intro deceive you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjytNSncOhM
>>
>>51457390
>>51457362
It's beautiful and it pulls your heart strings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HNkrBKV83c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjytNSncOhM
>>
>>51457502
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI4etTFdwFs
>>
>>51457485
>>51457502
>>51457540
>listening to this
>on the edge of my seat expecting Torture Garden-tier sax to jump out at me all of a sudden
Wft is even going on? Is this the same John Zorn from Naked City?
>>
>>51457485
>>51457502
This is legit cool, man. Thanks for sharing. I even liked that intro on Santa Claus Is Coming To Town/
>>
>>51457334
Nah. I'd call myself an agnostic.

>>51457319
Check out a comp called This May Be My Last Time Singing for traditional gospel. The stuff I play in church is usually more contemporary gospel and some stuff that's just vanilla contemporary Christian praise songs.

>>51457271
Not very often. I used to record myself practicing a fair amount but not that much lately. I play a Yamaha p105 at church, mostly acoustic piano sound, sometimes electric piano, and every once in a while the 'jazz organ' sound.
>>
Cool, a great jazz thread turned to John "The Memehead" Zorn general.
>>
>>51457597
Haha, I felt the same way when Santa Claus Is Coming Town went quiet after the intro. I was expecting some grind jazz shit to pierce my ears, but instead I got this cool as fuck high tempo bombastic piano jazz. Legit cool.
>>
Arturo Sandoval & Chucho Valdes - Straight Ahead
Bill Evans Trio - Sunday at the Village Vanguard
Bill Evans
idk, just been exploring in general
listen to old episodes of Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz. It was an incredible radio show and it's a great way to learn about jazz and get into new artists. And just listen your local jazz radio station. Often it's a public station so there's no commercials.

http://www.npr.org/series/15773266/marian-mcpartland-s-piano-jazz
>>
>>51457631
Are you any good at doing the whole organ-trio thing?
>>
>>51457233
Oh. I'm white.

Sorry to disappoint
>>
>>51457650
What does "the memehead" even mean? John Zorn makes jazz music too, someone is bound to enjoy his work. Only one guy mentioned him and some others listened. Calm yourself down, anon.
>>
>>51457631
any chance of uploading it?
The one in the archive's expired
>>
>>51457597
Zorn is/has been involved in many diverse projects. Listen to Masada if you want to hear him play more conventionally.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzIzSXnpwP0
>>
>>51457650
Give over.
>>
>>51457597
It is surprising, but it just shows how versatile Zorn is as a composer. Check out the rest of The Dreamers stuff. It's really cool. It's easily my favorite modern Zorn project. A lot of people don't know Zorn can play straight ahead jazz.

>>51457628
No problem. Check out the rest of The Dreamers stuff.
Here's a video, easily my favorite Marc Ribot solo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOdBlRoisg0

>>51457650
>implying
>>
Hey /jazz/ i have a problem.

So lately i've been studying more jazz theory, and i'm feeling like i'm finally starting understand how to play jazz! now usually that's an amazing think, but the thing is that now, i think all the time, about the changes, how i can create tensions, and keep it interesting to myself and the rest of the gang i'm playing with. And honestly, it feels to me like it kinda ruins my creativity, before everything was much smoother and intuitive. I started to approach music like science, and i can't help it, and i hate it.

Did that happen to any of you guys? How did you recover? How do I recover?
>>
>>51457225
I don't like either but I can see what you mean. I don't really see why Kenny G has such a bad rep, i think a lot of it is that jazz fans feel that's how they have to look at music to be "real" jazz fans. You should be able to take an artist for what they are and jazz fans often can't do that
>>
A handful of different Jaco Pastorius albums and really loving them. Anyone got any recs? None of the other fusion I've checked out has grabbed me quite like this (I've gone through Mahavishnu, Miles' Bitches Brew, Herbie Hancock, Billy Cobham, etc.). Anyone got any recs?
>>
>>51457683
I've seen Sandoval live.
>>
>>51457650
Normally I'd tell you to fuck off and that regardless of what you think of a jazz artist you shouldn't use the word "meme" as a critique but I laughed at this for some reason.
If nothing else, we all learned that mr Zorn is actually capable of making coherent music. >>51457792
>>
>>51457873
Miles Davis' In A Silent Way
>>
>>51457684
Nah. It's actually fairly different going to the organ in jazz. You can't necessarily voice things the same way or in the same register as you would on the piano. And walking the bass with foot pedals? Fuck that. I have a friend who covers that soul jazz organ niche in my city anyway.
>>
>>51457821
stop trying to play "jazz" and just try and play music. play what you yourself would want to hear.

jazz is an isolated genre for the reasons you already discussed.
>>
>>51457931
Thanks. I'd actually been meaning to check that out after hearing parts of the title track.
>>
>>51457789
Not today... Actually it might have been on my hard drive that died anyway...
>>
>>51457982
GOAT of all time
>>
>>51457904
I was going to go see him last night but I couldn't find anyone to go with me :(
>>
>>51457821
What instrument do you play? If it's not one you have to blow through, try singing while you play.

Also it's just part of the learning experience. Of course when you're learning to play bebop your improv will probably sound like a lot of bebop riffs. The goal is not to make that your main style of playing, but to use it as a foundation or a jumping off point for your own style of playing. Maybe find some new ways to practice... Find ways of limiting your improvisations when you practice that will force you to be creative in some ways and much more structured in other ways.

Remember the goal is to play what you hear in your head. If you don't hear good solos in your head maybe you need to study theory a little less and listen to great players a little more
>>
>>51458140
it wasn't really all that great.

just go alone

would you not listen to the record alone?
>>
Speaking of organ and Zorn, without listening to Zorn, I wouldn't have discovered Big John Patton. Zorn actually played on a few of his albums.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z5pf3lzL-Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ3_2VBQlFM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksvRq3XluPw
>>
>>51457597
>>51457792
So yeah, that wasn't the best example since it's all about the drummer Joey Baron, but anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrfZ6Iv6bi8
>>
>>51458190
yeah good point. I go to shows alone sometimes, but I've never gone to a jazz show so I didn't know if it was different.
>>
>>51449634
While we're talking about organ jazz, does anyone else think that the ending to Kids on The Slope is fantastic?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITwWoskKG_A
>mfw final performance takes into account that 20 years has past and incorporates fusion influences accordingly
>>
>>51458187
this.

many jazz players only improvise jazz licks. Try improvising great melodies. A great melody is a great melody anywhere. It sounds good in a jazz solo, a pop song, a symphony, a blues solo, a rock riff etc. Few can do this. Most can only improvise melodies that sound good as a jazz solo, but those types of melodies have been played so many times they are not the least bit interesting to hear anymore.

My favourite improvising artists are Keith Jarrett, Jerry Garcia, Duane Allman, Paul Desmond and Stephane Grappelli in terms of great melodic improvisation.
>>
>>51458187
>What instrument do you play?
Bass. I guess my main problem is that i feel like my walking is too repetitive, and i overthink it. And not so long ago i totally had the mentality that the groove is what i should focus about, learning more theory kinda ruined that i guess.

Does it ever happens to you that you find a bass player too boring and repetitive?
>>
>>51458385
>and i overthink it.
so i start to overthink it*
>>
>>51458385
if you want to be a lead player take up an instrument that sounds good playing lead. Bass players should lay down the groove. Unless they can actually make it sound good as a lead instrument which very few can
>>
>>51458385
It's possible but you're right... The feel is more important. Maybe the other guys you're playing with would notice that your lines are repetitive but the audience probably wouldn't. Anyway... I think the guys your playing with would prefer your lines to be repetitive and rhythmically solid to if you were dragging, or playing inappropriately with the drummer, or trying to do too much in terms of variation.

Try practicing different methods of ornamentation. Pedal tones, triplet arpeggios... That kind of stuff. Listen to Ray Brown with the Oscar Peterson trio, or with his own trios where Gene Harris is on the piano. Brown plays the solidest of the solidest lines but with very simple ornamentation and variation and the absolute best sense of swing.
>>
>>51458547
Nah i love the bass and i don't want to play lead, i also love to focus on the groove and make it funky.

I just feel like i'm playing too repetitive, so maybe the rest of the band gets bored with me sometimes, and than i overthink my playing. Maybe it's just a rough phase that i need to pass.
>>
>>51458670
What kind of style are we talking about here? Like swing or more funky rocky vampy style?
>>
>>51458746
Swing, Bop stuff.
>>
>>51458762
Oh. Yeah then listen to all the Ray Brown you can get your ears on.
>>
>>51458853
Will do. I actually listened to Night Train for over 30 times, but i guess it's about time to delve into his other stuff.
>>
Does anyone have any Anthony Coleman or Wayne Horvitz recs?
>>
>>51458960
I can't recommend Soular Energy enough
>>
>>51459012
already listened to it, but only twice i think.
>>
>>51459807
It was a good thread anon but you need to let it die now.
>>
>>51459958
Not that guy but no shhh we don't have to let it die
>>
>>51457367
I still can't really get enjoyment from Space Is The Place. I love some of Sun Ra's other music but Space Is The Place is too out there for me. It just leaves me confused honestly.

>>51452222
Django Reinhardt's Djangology. I remember Minor Swing was on a video game called Mafia which I loved as did I love the song, so I eventually found out who the artist was and picked up Djangology cheap in a shop for like £3. I still love it to pieces.
>>
>>51459958
damn i can't believe we got 240 replies, that's cray cray
>>
>>51460093
I'm guessing these threads usually die way before that then? Kinda reminds me when one of the /noise/ generals ended up 404ing because it reached the post limit, which almost never happens ever.
>>
>>51459994
Off topic posting like this is kind of an unnatural way of keeping the thread alive. Like it's in a vegetative state and not doing anything.
>>51460056
This is better though. There is discussion to be had here.

In terms of Space is the Place, I don't think there's much you can do to get it. I love it because I love singing along to it. I do the same thing with stuff like Funkadelic.
It becomes much more enjoyable when you feel part of the music. That's my experience anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKNVAMLC-kM
>>51460093
>tfw been here since the start and have been posting for ages now in between studying
It's been glorious.
Thread posts: 243
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.