[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How's the music scene in your town? >Columbus Ohio Tolerable.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 232
Thread images: 14

File: unnamed (9).jpg (14KB, 250x223px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed (9).jpg
14KB, 250x223px
How's the music scene in your town?
>Columbus Ohio
Tolerable. Lots of decent bar music but nothing that blows me away
>>
>Orlando, FL
Amazing if you know where to go, but not much to see if you aren't hipster.
>>
>Jacksonville, AL
Surprisingly good for a small-ass town. Mostly country, which is annoying for a lot of people, but still.

Nearby Birmingham and Atlanta have shitloads of music all the time forever. I'm going this weekend to some shitty hippy festival to see my friends' group play in Birmingham.
>>
File: 1415651891244.jpg (75KB, 421x435px) Image search: [Google]
1415651891244.jpg
75KB, 421x435px
>>51313147
Orlando gave us Death
>>
>murfreesboro
i bought a tape of a local band called the sparkling wide pressure and it kind of sucked. havent really gone to any shows
>>
>Salem, OR

Some good metal around here. Bands like Hell, Mizmor, Merkstave, Thrones, Vault Dweller, etc... That's all I know of.
>>
>>51313256
>tfw XXYYXX went to my high school
>tfw he was a freshman when I was a senior
>>
>>51313016

>Lol mexico city

Garbage. garbage and more garbage like most of the latin music
>>
>>51313214
I can't into country. Up here (Ohio) the people that listen to it are the girls who lived their whole lives in Columbus, but have their Toyota plastered with "Country Girl Inside" stickers and the bro country is all they listen to
>>
>Long Island, NY

If you don't like pop punk, emo, or hardcore there's nothing for you here. It sucks.
>>
>>51313318
You guys get mush of the stoner scene or is that keep to itself in Portland?
>>
>>51313388
Well, around here it's pretty much everybody, but to be fair most of them also spend their weekends wrist deep in the deer they just killed, so.

Unless they're like me, and miss 2 out of 2 shots but somehow still can't recover their bolts...
>>
I live outside baltimore.

Mostly just shitty deathcore/pop-punk bands. There's also a decent amount of truly terrible grindecore bands. It's like everyone never stopped being 15.

As for baltimore itself, everyone either wants to be a "serious hood" rapper like Nas or the next big "trap nigga" rapper.

Overall, there's very little creativity in my opinion.
>>
>>51313284
Hey TNbro brentwood here
>>
>>51313407
Either that or all the indie bands that let you know how underground they are
>>
>Lisboa

Pretty fucking cool, we have great underground artists springing up from nowhere. Best thing about this are the great shows for less than 5€ that we get every week. I like the jazz and rock scene best over here.
>>
>>51313016
>Manteca/Modesto, CA
I actually have no idea. Most of the performances I've heard about have been doing the high school by my house, one time their jazz band played at some cafe. There was some chick from The Voice there this past weekend

I guess Modesto has a music scene, but I'm only there do school
>>
>tfw you live in a tiny, meth-infested farming town in northern Michigan and your music scene is literally nonexistent.
>>
>Dublin, Ireland
A few fairly good bands, some total shite too mind you
>>
File: nehi.jpg (175KB, 959x960px) Image search: [Google]
nehi.jpg
175KB, 959x960px
>Chicago IL

NE-HI
Twin Peaks
The Orwells
Sister Crystals
Landmarks
Clearance
The Hecks
>>
> Los Angeles, California
Ok indie scene, but too many people trying to make it big. Lot's of snowflake gimmick bands trying to stand out. The punk scene is pretty good though.
>>
File: Rochelle.jpg (39KB, 667x508px) Image search: [Google]
Rochelle.jpg
39KB, 667x508px
>>51313518
Do you ever have pub sessions of Irish music? I played with a group here in the States for a while, shit was cash.

>concertina master race checking in
>>
>>51313413
It's around here too.
>>
File: misteurvalaire.jpg (37KB, 205x182px) Image search: [Google]
misteurvalaire.jpg
37KB, 205x182px
>>51313016
A band from Sherbrooke Can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C730T3P4xeA
>>
>>51313550
Almost sounds like all of California
>>
>Tel Aviv, IL
Not bad at all, great metal and alternative bands like midnight peacocks, electra, Orphaned land, Vitarti etc
>>
>>51313521
http://ne-hi.bandcamp.com/track/turncoat-3
>>
>>51313641
Make a Palestinian mortar/rocket field recording
>>
>>51313555
They exist but I don't go to them because I don't really like trad and pubs that play trad are full of men older than my Dad
>>
>>51313641
Orphaned land is fantastic. How violent would you say it is there?
>>
>>51313662
seconding this
>tfw you will never have the chance to make field recordings of shit happening during the Troubles in Northern Ireland
>>
>>51313606
pretty much, yeah
>>
>>51313774
Feels batman
>>
>>51313016
I live in Columbus too

You live near campus? Go to Dick's den sometime. That's where the best music is... Jazz, bluegrass, sometimes some experimental underground shit. Plus cheap drinks and a good scene of Columbus weirdos.
>>
>>51313681
The hardcore punk movment is fucking scary, but it still produces good shows, the metal scene is mainly prog-tharsh metal, but on the other side the alternative scene is so good,everyone are so smart man, I adore them
So in somewhat yes - but it is also the best
>>
>>51313869
Hah, that's a really good answer, but I meant violent like do you have Palestinian bombs landing in your house?
>>
>Kokomo, Indiana
Mostly shitty Metal and Punk, once in a blue moon there'll be a good acoustic artist or synth band
>>
>Livingston, CA
Dismal, one bar in town that is very biased and selective in who they let play there even though no one ever does anything.
>>
>>51314073
Oh shit someone that actually seems close to me
>>
>>51313949
why don't you check out the shit in indianapolis or bloomington
>>
>>51314464
I do every now in then, like I caught a couple of Sleeping Bag shows in Bloomington last year and saw Reptar in Indy
[spoiler]it's also because I have a few friends that play in the shows in Kokomo[/spoiler]
>>
>miami
Probably mostly the Raider Klan shit and denzel curry/spaceghost purrp. A lot of venues have noise/shoegazy type stuff. Most people have better taste in music than expected, but can't be bothered to play themselves it seems
>>
>>51313016
>Chesapeake,Va/VirginiaBeach,Va
Non existent.
>>
>sweden, gothenburg
absolutely horrible. nothing but shitty nigger music. indiepop & metal
>>
>montreal
dope
>>
>>51315021
>tfw I live in Virginia Beach as well

fuck this gay earth
>>
>>51313016
do you know Stepdad?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H91bEGJYBU4
>>
>>51314925
>Miami
>Noise/shoegaze

More like really bad punk and metalcore. Latin and jazz as well as electronic music
>>
>>51313489
you also have Panda Bear which is dope
>>
>>51313641
whats up Crazyaga
>>
>fairfax, california
the grateful dead is our music scene
>>
>dallas, tx

it's shit
>>
File: bodybg.jpg (209KB, 1200x784px) Image search: [Google]
bodybg.jpg
209KB, 1200x784px
Anyone else here in fucking Worcester?
>>
Any chicago west suburbs fags here? I know here's loads of shows downtown but any good DIY/house shows here? He'll, even tiny venues in the city would work
>>
>Calgary, AB, Canada
We've got some really great bands and some really shitty ones too. We have a really good indie music festival in June every year.

>tfw Swans were playing that festival but it got cancelled due to flooding
>>
>>51315384
edmonton is better imo
>>
File: ertyewrtewt.png (2MB, 1511x845px) Image search: [Google]
ertyewrtewt.png
2MB, 1511x845px
>Seattle
its good. indie, punk, metal, hip hop, various electronic, decent DIY scene. cant complain really
>>
>>51313550
You forgot mention Black teenagers putting out mixtapes trying to make it big.
>>
>>51313550
I live in L.A. I make vaporwave and stuff like deadmau5 what does that make me?
>>
>Miami

Huge DJ scene, not much else.
>>
>>51315494
a huge loser
>>
>Phoenix, AZ

Pretty bad. It's mostly just quirky, Weezer-esque bands.
>>
>>51313550
>>51315451
And the wide variety in Venice Beach and Promenade in Santa Monica

>>51315494
A faggot.
>>
>>51315513
At least it's not all bedroom hip-pop.
>>
File: runaway_keyboard_01_logo.gif (893KB, 640x270px) Image search: [Google]
runaway_keyboard_01_logo.gif
893KB, 640x270px
>>51313284
sElf, I think, came from murfessboro. But that was years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwAIwRrs6xs
from their latest ep^
>>
>>51315512
>>51315554
kek why?
>>
>>51315607
cuz reasons mentioned here
>>51315494
>>
literally like one dadrock revival band and a couple of shit metal bands
also a bunch of rappers
>>
File: knowthatfeel.png (60KB, 450x415px) Image search: [Google]
knowthatfeel.png
60KB, 450x415px
>>51313513

small rural Oklahoma town here

iktf so bad

Although, one of my friends in HS was into AJJ, NMH, and oM and we started a NMH/Residents type band for a bit. Never played live, though.
>>
Who here 209? As far as I know there's nothing but stoners
>>
>Redding, CA
There is a range of performers who go through here, from acoustic folk shit to typical hardcore bullshitters. But local musicians tend to be cool.
>>
How's Palm Desert scene nowadays?
>>
How's the Palm Desert scene nowadays?
>>
>>51313016
>Regina, SK
Getting there, a lot of hip hop and folk.
>>
>>51315808
>>51315845
How's the Palm Desert scene nowadays?
>>
>>51315638
I feel like I'm doing something different all I see around me are a bunch of rappers and indie dudes.
>>
>>51315808
>>51315845
More or less dead, Josh Homme has been teasing a new Desert Sessions for a while now and if it ever does come out I hope it jolts the scene back into something
>>
>>51315731
ME
LIVA$
>>
>>51313016
>>51313857
I also live in columbus and can confirm that Dick's Den rules. I've had some friends play there a few times.

Do you guys know anything about a columbus emo scene past like SRVVLST and Things Fall Apart? Should I just show up at the Summit on a nightly basis and wait to find cool music?
>>
>>51313016
>La Crosse, Wisconsin
The random bar band, but nothing notable whatsoever. Check out Madison, though.
>>
Edinburgh, Scotland. Glasgow has a better scene but Edinburgh has produced some good bands. Boards of Canada are probably my favorite Edinburgh artist.

The central belt of Scotland on the whole produced a ton of good music in the nineties though. Mogwai, Arab Strap, Belle and Sebastian, The Delgados and the aforementioned Boards of Canada spring to mind. Not to mention lots legendary rave stuff.
>>
>>51315269
I used to
I moved to NYC
Sorry it sucks bro
>>
>>51313147
dat orlando hype. the only people i know of locally are hip hop acts.
>>
Copenhagen, Denmark.

It's pretty good to say the least.
>>
>>51316175
jelly. such a chill city
>>
I live in DC, and while the DC music scene is alright, there's been like a bit of an upswing in surprisingly rad bands in the like, Silver Spring and College Park areas right outside the city
>>
>Auckland, New Zealand
>>
File: ServeAttachment.jpg (68KB, 315x246px) Image search: [Google]
ServeAttachment.jpg
68KB, 315x246px
>>51316115
c-can I come stay with you? I cook really well! There's fuckall of any culture in this shit'ole.

Pic related, one of our most venerable venues.
>>
>>51316224
I live in SS, and commute to CP. w2c local music performances?
>>
> Philly

Absolute shit there's nobody from here and I might as well kill myself.
>>
>>51315343
nah dude the suburbs suck.
>>
>>51316573
possibly-- I hop around a lot to shows because I'm good friends with the dudes in Atlas at Last. were you at pyramid fest last month?
>>
>>51316593
you should kill yourself so the rest of us can enjoy the scene that much more. its pretty cool in philadelphia, and you can tell your not from the city because you said philly so fuck off you whining cunt
>>
>>51316686
no, though I go to pyramid atlantic p often for art shows. I usually just go into DC for touring music, because I hadn't found anything that interesting immediately around me, or much of a scene in general, except maybe some takoma park "folk" wankery. Where else besides pyramid atlantic do you normally find cool shows/people?
>>
>>51315021
Clipse didn't start a coke rap trend then?
>>
>St. Louis, MO
What is music?
>>
It's of crappy, overpriced venues in the suburbs outside of Chicago. Most bands cost 7$ to see although the ones that draw more than 10 people get book for $10 shows. It's a whole pyramid scheme since these booking agents give you tickets to presell and if you can't do it, they won't let you play.
>>
>>51316743
there's a lot of good basement shows at The Dougout in NE DC-- I've honestly only had a pretty amazing time there, and they've had a pretty wide range of stuff from bigger bands like Speedy Ortiz and Big Ups and also a good range of local bands. they've got shows pretty regularly and its almost always worth checking them out.

The Pinch used to be good in DC but it's starting to go a bit downhill, plus I pretty overwhelmingly object to their new system for paying/booking bands. Paperhaus has some solid shows, DC9 has a surprisingly diverse range of bands from touring folks to like local showcases, and then otherwise its a lot of random shit-- like, just seeing people cross post other events on fb pages and stuff like that.
>>
>>51316743
>>51316866
mostly though, I do a lot of concert videography stuff these days, so that makes it a bit easier to figure out where to go

that being said the lower stage at the Black Cat is probably my favorite venue in the world, now that Maxwell's in NJ is dead (RIP).
>>
>San Antonio Texas
Great ska-scene near the university
>>
Gainesville, FL
We have some pretty cool local bands like Dikembe and Frameworks and Post Teens.
Plus Fest is here every year so that's awesome.
>>
>>51313857
>>51315996
>>51313016
Damn, three other columbus bros.
>>
>>51316866
>>51316909
>>51316743
comet ping poing on connecticut ave in NW is really great too, but it seems like shows are less consistent there these days
>>
>>51316909
>>51316866
Black cat is goat-tier, and dc9 is p great, but I've never been to the others. I'll check em out.
>>
>Riverside, CA

Absolutely nothing. There was venue that seemed to be forming a small scene nearby (VLHS in Pamoma) but it turned to shit pretty quickly. Pretty much all pop-punk and shitty garage rock now.

The most popular local name is called "Gentleman Prefer Blood"

Shit speaks for itself
>>
>>51313284
No way, Murfreesboro here, too. You know of Glossary, right? You go to MTSU?
>>
>>51316999

id definitely check out the dougout-- it's real cramped in the best way, its pretty perfect for shows even if it feels like being in a sardine box sometimes. here, the first venue in this (the one in the green) is what its like down there, literally just a basement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94OVwPTIqLM
>>
>>51313284
>>51317062
Was staying there for a while, but not anymore. Any of you go to Little Shop of Records?
>>
>Huntington, WV
there's a lot of house shows, and some ok bar music. that's about it.
>>
>>51317193
Hell yeah, was there for rsd last year. Sometimes they have a shitty selection but I always go there for when I don't wanna go to Grimey's. Looking to get a job there eventually
>>
>>51317300
Yeah it's one of my favorite record stores. Went to Grimey's a couple times and found it a tad overpriced, but they did have a bigger selection.
>>
>Winnipeg Manitoba

complete garbage
>>
I live in mississippi...hey, dont knock me. This is the birthplace of rock and roll after all..but surprisingly a few bars here get a lot of attention. Sometimes cool jazz/fusion bands stop by. Anyway, we have 3 hipster bars, 1 metal bar and lots of normal bars in between So lots of hipster and metal music. One bar here gets tons of classic 70s rockish bands. Also of course, lots of blues spread all around.

Its pretty decent for where I live.
>>
>>51313016
>>51313857
>>51315996
>>51316979

Fellow Columbro here too. Dick's Den is pretty great.

One of my pals Jack Doran does gigs here and there, you should check it out when you
>>
>>51316952
i really hope to be able to get down to fest next year, i always come so close to impulse-going
>>
>>51317791
Do it! It's a fucking amazing weekend. The lineup this year was unbelievably good so I'm really excited for next year.
>>
>>51317361
Yeah, depending on what I'm looking for, I can usually bear spending a few extra bucks, but Little Shop is awesome, and so are the people that work there
>>
>>51313016
Straya perth pretty terrible post hardcore bands ripping off i killed the prom queen and parkway drive
>>
>Port Saint Lucie, FL

Shit -core bands. That's it.
>>
>New York City
Decent at best
>>
>>51317945
is this a ruse
>>
>>51317945
I live here too and it's actually pretty beat. Aside from the fact that every band/artist will always make a stop here when on tour, there is nothing unique or creative going on with music. No interesting scenes at all. Just dadrock and shitty indie music just like everywhere else.
>>
>>51318043
i dont even live in new york yet I would kill to be able to see what's going down at Baby's All Right every night
>>
>>51318043
Nice shitpost
>>
>Orange County, CA

A lot of really shitty indie music, especially from this one label in Fullerton. There are also a few mediocre emo/metalcore bands.
>>
>South Wales
>music

pick one
>>
>>51318043
I think the Netherlands are a decent New York based band. http://youtu.be/xk_4hhcyNRk
>>
>Stockholm
Crazy amount of musicians, from mainstream plebshit to obscure metal bands. Also every other faggot is a house producer.
>>
My town is too small to have one but the closest Salisbury, md has two bands that have "made" it one is called life on repeat (meh tier scene-post hardcore) signed to equal vision and another is saints never surrender (punk-post hardcore like comeback kid in a sense with members than went on to continuence and signed to rise records) besides that nothing has happened
>>
>Raleigh, North Carolina
Any kind of music you wanna hear, buddy
>>
>>51318685
Delmarva seems awfully boring
>>
File: 1392792795199.png (53KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1392792795199.png
53KB, 800x800px
>>51313869
do you have any links or megas of some good palestinian punk music? that must be sweet.
>please
>>
>>51318801
you're telling me I can go to ocean city and walk along the boardwalk or... Nothing. What are you close to?
>>
>>51315102
>latin
nobody under the age of 30 is making that type of music here
>>
>>51316862
you gotta get into the city, man
>>
>>51313016
My town is shit but has a pretty cool punk and hardcore scene that is divided up into sub groups. There's a lot of crossover obviously, and deviations among individuals but the main ones are

Up the Punx-Guys who will go to the hardcore shows but only if a "tr00" punk band is playing or it's at the skatepark they usually skate at anwyay

2edgy Beatdown Crew-Guys who don't listen to anything unless it's mostly or completely composed of breakdowns and are the biggest dicks in the pit

Scene Kids-Pop Metalcore and associated retardation, go to shows for drugs and pussy only, are nearly dead/have been absorbed into the other sub groups

Pop Punk Kids-Usually Christian and SxE but also liberal which is pretty lolwut. Fucking love to 2 Step even when it isn't appropriate and post on tumblr in downtime

Old Jaded Fucks-Alcoholics and druggies who have been going to shows forever and only continue to go because they don't know what else to do with their miserable lives. Love thrash and crossover thrash to the point where it's almost annoying. Ironically most of them were SxE when they were teens lel

And finally:
Emo Kids-Probably the smallest subgroup but basically a bunch of 16-19 year olds who listen to Brand New, (old) My Chemical Romance, and Say Anything on repeat + whatever skramz revival stuff they find on the internet or they get lucky enough to catch out of town. It's funny because they're the ones who claim to love music the most but never go to shows in town lel

I'm making this all seem really glamorous and big but in reality it's a lot smaller than it seems in this post.
>>
>>51318700
Hell yes! Glad someone else from the 919 is on here.
>>
>>51313016
>New Orleans, Louisiana

complete trash. it's either Budweiser chugging metalheads or EDM fuckers.

i mean, you can still find random old jazz bands playing and shit. in terms of young people, though, it's miserable.
>>
>>51313550
Hey, don't forget that we got a pretty great metal scene, and we have TeamSESH, so overall not too terrible.
>>
>>51319307
music center of the us, baby!
>>
>>51318700
910/military fag here. I always try to make it out to Raleigh/Charlotte/Wilmington to see some good shit. What kind of music are you into? I'm in need of some advice cause I'm new to the area. I'm going to see Gwar on the 28th in Charlotte if that gives you a hint as to what I'm in to.
>>
>>51313147
Orlando has been good the few times I went. Tampa and St. Pete are great.
>>
File: B1dPBTVIQAABKgX.jpg (30KB, 599x400px) Image search: [Google]
B1dPBTVIQAABKgX.jpg
30KB, 599x400px
>>51313869
punk rock recs pls
Minneapolis here
We've got a solid EDM scene here, shitty indie bands pop up from time to time and theres always the Screamo fagmetal bands at The Garage. Our hip hop scene is pretty solid too.
>>
>>51318700
>>51319307
>>51319894
Carrboro checking in
I can ride my bike to the Cradle in 5 minutes
>>
>>51319894
There is some cool shit here for sure. Are you going to any shows coming up? Ive got a ticket to Body/Head with Jenks Miller this weekend and will be at the North Carolina Symphony + Blursome play Death and The Maiden next Thursday. Kings and Slims are the two venues I frequent most.

>>51319972
Im not the guy you were asking. Honestly my knowledge of metal around here is limited, but if you are into that check out ASG, Corrosion of Conformity, Buzzoven, Valient Thorr, Demon Eye and Weedeater,
>>
living in the Fuzzpop/ Dreamgaze capitol of the us. It's okay, wish more people would put on shows.
>>
>>51313016
Cape Girardeau, MO
I don't think there is a music scene
>>
>>51319972
Not a metalhead myself, so I don't really which local bands are considered to be particularly good. I know a band named Heron was supposed to be playing tonight actually at kings barcade. Although black metal is definitely different to thrash, you could give it a shot
>>
>>51313016
the basement has nice shows.
>>
>>51320199
I'd like to go out more, but it's so safe in this bedroom.
>>
London.

Somewhere between amazing and total bullshit.
>>
>>51320199
Yes, I have heard there is a pretty good sludge/stoner scene around here.

>>51320265
Awesome, so there is some black metal around here. I'll have to keep an eye out.
>>
>>51320290
Ha I know that feel man. But there are too many good shows coming through to pass up. What do you think of the record stores in our area? I like Sorry State, Nice Price, CD Alley (in Chapel Hill), and Edward McKay but hate Schoolkids with a passion. I still havent been to All Day Records in Carborro or Bull City in Durham. Ever tried either of those out?
>>
>>51320397
this venue gets the most black metal out of any of the others in Raleigh:
http://themaywoodraleigh.com/

Also Asheville, which is a hippie mecca in the mountains, has an active black metal scene. I think Raleigh does too but I just dont know much about it.
>>
>>51313016
>Miami

Nothing that good? Bands rarely come here and I don't know any local bands.
>>
>>51317426
Meet and drink
>>
>>51320411
I don't really do records, sorry. What shows are you looking forward to?
>>
you will never find a good band in Middleburg Florida.
>>
>>51316229
noice
>>
>>51320514
>>51317426
>>51316979
>>51315996
>>51313857
>>51313016
Middletown here, I don't eve know what music is in this shitty town.

Cincinnati has a pretty good experimental/ambient scene though!
>>
>>51320299
haha

dude tell me some good london bands to check out
>>
>>51319021
Buffalo
>>
>>51320098
That's exactly what I'd expect someone from Carrboro to say kek

>>51320529
Yeah I dont either, Im into cds and cassettes. Besides the 2 I mentioned I plan on seeing The Blind Shake on the 29th and Jamaican Queens December 14th. The Love Language is playing at First Night (the city wide NYE celebration) so I will see them at that. Out of what has been announced for next year so far only Parquet Courts and Sturgil Simpson are on my radar. What about you? Are you into any of the local scenes here?
>>
>KC
rap game contentious and disjointed
>>
>upper peninsula, Michigan
0/10
>>
>>51313016
I'm in cleveland, pretty decent, my bands plays quite a few shows.
>>
>>51313513
start a band of meth heads and write songs about meth and how nice it is
>>51315716
do you have any recordings of you and yr friends' band
>>
> Chile
Mar de Grises sounds like a good band...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-94cxdZf7Yc
>>
San Antonio, Texas
horrible; full of uncreative metal, punk, and rock bands and rappers. when i jam with people from this area they basically just want me to play covers or power chords in drop D. at least I live near Austin which is amazing.
>>
>>51320761
do you know grant rizzardi?
>>
>>51313371

do you know anything about the noise scene down there? I know of like two artists but don't know of much else but I visit there a lot and noise isn't exactly google-able.
>>
SIoux falls, good indie rap scene, a few good rock bands
>>
>>51320663
I'll probably going to that singer/songwriter thing at tir na nog on the 27th. I usually like to go to places like kings/pour house/deep south just because there aren't so many people. Dives are great.
>>
>>51320953
>good indie rap scene
i was actually considering doing a show up there. what's your favorite venues? acts?
>>
Brooklyn bitches
sure there's a lot of shitty indie bands but there are plenty of kickass bands like pic related.
>>
I live in the Bay Area. You can seriously find a little bit of everything here, if you know how and where to look.
>>
>>51321114
Ive never been to any of the Local Band Local Beer events but they seem cool. I think Pour House and Deep South are excellent venues but they never book anything I like. I've only been in them during Hopscotch. Have you ever gone?
>>
>>51321419
No, I can't say that I have. The way I attend shows may be weird. I like to to go to shows that host musicians I've never heard before. I don't really actively seek out bands that I like. It's sort of like listening to a radio station; you never know just what you'll get.
>>
>>51320737
no but seriously why is kansas city so dead like no one ever tours here
>>
> Savannah GA

teenagers in shitty hardcore bands
some jam bands
every now and then some dad rock group will roll though town

it's pretty lame tbh
>>
>>51321638
There is nothing wrong with that. I really recommend you go to Hopscotch if that is how you approach things as the festival intentionally brings in a lot of up and coming bands to mix with locals as well as established international acts. It's a great assortment. Ive been to the past 3 and always come away with some cool discoveries. Or at least go to the free day parties.
>>
> San Diego, CA

Not great, a few decent bands. The Locust is defunct. The Creepy Creeps are pretty cool. Any good sized city will have something good if you look hard enough. Most of this board is too young to go to bars so you're missing it all.
>>
>>51320953
Hey no way I'm in Sioux Falls too, what are the odds. I go to USF. Later Babes is the shit
>>
>>51321877
I will make it a priority to go. You make it sound very interesting
>>
>Brisbane

From what i've experienced this place has a bretty good prog scene.
>>
Oklahoma City.
>There's a country scene I dont pay attention to
>there's a decent indie and folk scene
>there's a punk scene, with way to many really really awful ska and pop punk bands, with a bunch of people screaming fuck the man while holding a bottle of jack daniels
>there's a goth scene thats kinda cool, everyone wears makeup, but I saw some guy break a cross and stab his chest with it, so thay was pretty cool
>there's some decent black metal here
>I have a piece of shit noise band, probably the only one in the state
>I have a spazcore/grindcore band
>the flaming lips
>psychedelic rock
>>
>>51322285

lol is that noise band you're referring to grandpa lies again?
>>
>Dallas, TX.

It's wonderful. There's not as much country music as a lot of people outside of Texas think there is. I mean, it's definitely there, but it's not dominating everything else. There's so much going on here.
>>
>>51321693
i really don't know man. i mean our lack of proximity to other tour-worthy cities is definitely a factor. the entire kc music scene is very underdeveloped though. it's like the whole city just doesn't care.
>>
>>51313016
>New Bedford, MA
Literal shit, filled with wiggers and drug dealers who listen to shitty trap music and top 40s shit.
>>
>>51320953
>>51322014
As a former South Dakotan (from near Rapid City) I'm so glad there's a developing music scene there now but I still don't want to go back
>>
>>51322463
okay, so there is more than one.
mine is called the eardrums. the name is intentionally shitty by the way.
>>
>>51318246
This is the problem with the Brooklyn scene. It's all manufactured internet hype. There are literally fucking people with "RIP 285 KENT" tattoos. Everything's just trendy bullshit, and once it withers, the people who brought it up initially are too cool to even piss in its direction.
>>
>>51320850
This isn't their best performance, of course, but these guys are pretty legit. I saw em at SA Music Awards and they pretty killed it.
>>
Ithaca NY
punk, folk punk and indi.

same 3 bands every other weekend at one of 2 bars. same 5-10 people that show up every time.
>>
>>51315436
>decent
more like excellent you fuck
>>
>Little Rock

What music scene?
>>
File: 1384983839304.png (94KB, 676x673px) Image search: [Google]
1384983839304.png
94KB, 676x673px
Melbourne FL

Please god someone pull me away from this punk/hardcore wasteland and drop me in some sort of electronic music mecca
>>
>>51313016
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Depends what you're into, being a regional capital we do get some big acts through here, the indigenous scene for local bands, indie, rock etc is OK, The Warzone centre gets some good heavy stuff, hartdcore punk rock, Ska-Punk etc.

For electronic music theres a good scene if you're into house or techno, other than that you're fucked.
>>
>>51323046
>not liking punk or hardcore
>>
>>51322930
lol struck a nerve there
>>
>>51313147
I went to downtown Orlando for the first time last month to see Flying Lotus. Really great show and I loved the venue.

I play in a progressive-ish instrumental band from Seminole but we mainly play Tampa. Most of the bands around here are Deathcore/Metalcore/Post-Hardcore/ type stuff, which i'm not really into. It's been a little hard getting fans around here because everyone who goes out to shows are used to that kind of stuff. But promoters and venue owners like us because it's not the usual stuff they hear which is cool.
>>
>>51315060
Best music scene in North America
Someone prove me wrong
>>
>>51322930
naw. its good though. a few good places and then a ton of kiddie places/hangouts, which i guess is good if youre 16.
>>
>>51323396
well i havent been to every city in north america with a good scene but yes, montreal is fantastic
>>
>Providence, Rhode Island

it's fucking incredible. DIY haven, punk, indie, noise, metal, etc all well represented.

I saw Screaming Females and two of my favorite local bands in a warehouse space the size of living room last week. The people who run it are some of my favorite people ever, and the space is incredible. I've seen Black Pus 9 times in the past year. Providence is da best.

>>51322635
just drive 20 minutes to providence you dumbass
>>
denver, co

Terrible. Metal core bullshit everywhere, hardcore trash, and the rappers and rap groups are fucking pathetic.

Rarely do we ever get an artist bloom that's worth listening too.
>>
>>51323046

>he isn't aware of the thriving electronic music scene in Melbourne
>>
>>51315269
i live closeby
>>
>>51315269
from what I hear it's kinda dominated by boring inoffensive dadindie like the Hotelier and/or folk punk

just drive to Boston or prov for diy shit tbh. Boston kinda sucks because the law takes an AGGRESSIVE stance against DIY shows, so everything is extremely exclusionary and you have to know someone to even know about a show. I'm really happy in Providence tho. Cops literally drove by an illegal show the other night as people were pouring out the doors between bands lol
>>
>>51323459
shit that sounds amaxing.

literally everyone that is any good from where I live plays every where but where they are from.
>>
>>51313016
I live in the Inland Empire in California which occasionally turns out mediocre bands/artists despite there being a bunch of creative people around here. most of them leave immediately for LA or Orange County tho. there's a lot of people from around here that I know of killing it in different fields but the ones that stick around usually suck. but at least they try so there's still shit to do I guess.
>>
>>51323764
Downtown Boys opened and tbh they were more amazing than Screaming Females. Their singer is a fuckin awesome person. I crowd surfed and lost my shoe during their set.
>>
>>51315077
I guess we'll just have to start one on our own.
>>51320098
Fucking lucky, wanted to go to that merge event that happened in July, did you go?
>>
miami
just a bunch of bleep bloop swedish house mafia wannabes
>>
Detroit, MI

Seriously the greatest music city in the world. Problem is that it's over saturated. Bands that are lower level here would be the best thing ever in other cities.
>>
Just moved from Indiana to Illinois so I cant comment much on my current local scene ( other than that me and some people are trying to get something started in our town) but Indiana has a great diy punk/hardcore scene spread out across the state.
>>
>>51323851
do you have luck finding people you like by going to random shows you don't know much about?
it seems like you would there.
>>
>>51313016
>Bay Area, California
We have San Francisco, Sacramento, and San Jose.
A lot of really good fucking talent, and a lot of really diverse styles too. I've seen everything from folk, to local metal acts, to freestyle rappers.
>>
>>51313016
>katonah ny

small rich gated town in westchester. it's literally overproduced poppy adult contemporary being performed by overprivileged rich white teens and everybody eats it up

the worst part is that they're, for the most part, good musicians on the part that theyve gotten the best training their parents' money can buy since they were an infant.
>>
>>51313563
Hey! I'm from QC I love Misteur Valaire too. Anything else good in Sherbrooke?
>>
>>51324107
I have a group of friends I go to shows with. When we go to DIY shows (usually once or more a week), it's usually to go out and go to a show, not because we know the bands. Usually there will be one or two locals we know and a couple touring bands. Also, certain spaces tend to book good shows and others tend to book utter shit.

I've met cool people at shows, but they usually just remain "cool people I see at shows". Like one guy got me beer one time (not 21) because he sees me at shit all the time.
>>
>Syracuse, NY

total trash. big embarrassing hardcore/str8 edge scene. lots of pop-punk and dad rockers trying to bring back rock or some shit. random black guys that try and sell you their mixtapes on the streets. shitty green day wannabe punk bands. shitty cover bands. dinosaur bbq has some alright blues shows, but nothing for people under 50. It's like every gig in this town is for 45 year old parents who want to sit at a bar and listen to some guy wail away at a lame srv song. no youth culture. The one place that still gets good gigs, the westcott theatre is having a harder and harder time getting people to come here. it's dying, getting worse every year.
>>
>>51324379
Man, I'm lucky if I can find any show at all in a month time span. It's hard finding people to go with too, people don't really find shows fun where im from. I do get offered a lot of beer though. I don't drink, so it's whatever.
>>
>>51324742
going to DIY shows alone is fine; while it seems like everyone there is cool and aloof, they're really just the same awkward weird kids as the people going alone. As you go to more shows, people will recognize you.
>>
>>51324695
is it true that Greg from Perfect Pussy is a rapist scumbag who stole a shitton of money from some DIY venue
>>
>Portland, OR
idk tell me. I haven't been here long.
I just saw Slowdive and Perfume Genius. About to see James Vincent Mcmorrow.
The only local band I've seen is the Hill Dogs, and they were good, but nothing I would actually listen to on my own time. Good bar music, basically.
>>
>>51324804
?
>>
>>51324782

Fuck Providence.
>>
>>51324782
Yeah, people do recognize me.
haven't really met many people though.
>>
>>51313016
>>51313857
>>51315996
>>51316979
>>51317426
>>51320608
Cleveland master race here. Our music scene is better than yours.
>>
>>51318956
it's still part of the music scene idiot
Thread posts: 232
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.