[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw you'll never be able to listen to avant-garde music

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: John-Cage-Paris-1981[1].jpg (65KB, 901x602px) Image search: [Google]
John-Cage-Paris-1981[1].jpg
65KB, 901x602px
>tfw you'll never be able to listen to avant-garde music artists like Cage or Stockhausen
Damn, I just don't get it. Where should I start if I want to know/understand this kind of music better?
>>
>>51258586
4'33"
>>
>>51258586
Start with the Greeks.
>>
Radiohead - Kid A

Not even joking.
>>
Don't think of it as thought there's something to "get", for one thing. It's not supposed to be a puzzle. Each composer has their own approach, but in general you're just supposed to listen and appreciate it. Treat it like a wine tasting. You don't try to "get" wine.
>>
>>51258632
Don't shitpost with plebeian bullshit.
>>
>>51258677
>not trying to get wine
>>
>>51258682
>Reactionary contrarianism with no elaboration

Kill yourself.
>>
Variations IV with David Tudor and Kontakte were my entry albums into Cage and Stockhausen, they were both very fun, not sure why you're having trouble

Xenakis is the true patrician choice however
>>
>>51258631
Xenakkis and...
>>
One important thing to remember is that the best known pieces and composers are the most historically significant, but not necessarily the best or most interesting. Much of the pioneering stuff is quite crude.
>>
>>51258677
>You don't try to "get" wine.
top kek pleb
>>
>>51258586
If you like ambient try Oktophonie (and ignore the fact that Stockhausen hated the concept of ambient music).
>>
>>51258724
say that to my face not online and see what happens faggot
>>
>>51258736
>quite crude
I think the better way to describe it is that it's not quite as unlistenable as you probably imagine it is, OP. It was avant-garde at the time but since then it's all been done so many times it just sounds like regular music.
>>
It helps to read about the background of the piece and understand its context. A common misconception with modern art in general is that it's supposed to stand on its own completely, and that you can get everything you need by just looking at or listening to the work itself. But understanding something depends on context. With music that's already familiar to you, you have enough context to understand it, but avant garde music almost by definition is outside of what you're used to dealing with. You won't necessarily understand what the composer is doing or how you're supposed to listen to it.
>>
File: 14098317354240.jpg (436KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
14098317354240.jpg
436KB, 1200x1600px
>>51258744
I'm not into ambient at all. I just recently started getting into music and the most explored genres for me are noise rock, krautrock, post-hardcore, post-rock and math rock. So, very active and engaging music, I'm kinda ashamed by the fact that I can't really get into any other music.
>>
>>51258729
Georges Aperghis
>>
early works by steve reich is what got me into minimalism and avant-garde

i know it certainly sounds different from most of the other music in that genre, but it's gonna rain and come out still count to my favorite tracks of all time

trying to find more music that touches me in the way steve reich does, is what forces me to get and approach stockhausen etc.
>>
>>51258813
No, I mean crude in the sense that it was constrained by technology in ways that later work wasn't. Really early musique concrete is mono, with shitty sound quality, and sometimes a simple linear montage of different sounds. Later stuff got a lot more sophisticated.

>It was avant-garde at the time but since then it's all been done so many times it just sounds like regular music.
What? Much of this stuff hasn't infiltrated pop culture in a way that makes it more accessible. Modern music might use noise elements for decorative purposes, but they don't generally make up the bulk of the musical content.
>>
smoke some weed, listen to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vjofqA2SNY

fuck cage he's mostly a hack
>>
>>51258854
That's all just twing-twang though? Don't you listen to non-honky stuff?
>>
>>51258875
Alvin Lucier?
>>
>>51258729
The ancient Greeks. Go through all of western art history. Nothing better than having a reference.
>>
>>51258923
>fuck cage he's mostly a hack
He's really not. People who say this are clueless.
>>
>>51258972
>Xenakis
>ancient
>>
>>51258976
sure well i think he made aesthetically weak material
>>
>>51258921
>What? Much of this stuff hasn't infiltrated pop culture in a way that makes it more accessible. Modern music might use noise elements for decorative purposes, but they don't generally make up the bulk of the musical content.
I guess we listen to different music.
>>
>>51258854
>not into ambient
>loves Krautrock
Nigger, what? The Krauts are where modern ambient comes from.
>>
>>51258954
yes know him, which pieces would you recommend?
>>
>>51259055
I Am Shitting In A Room
>>
>>51259037
Yeah, some of them are. They're still very different from your typical ambient artists though.
>>
File: 1393864388899.png (60KB, 166x182px) Image search: [Google]
1393864388899.png
60KB, 166x182px
>>51259068
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.