[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't you support a local music scene?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 10

File: 1366229181879.jpg (22KB, 367x288px) Image search: [Google]
1366229181879.jpg
22KB, 367x288px
Why don't you support a local music scene?
>>
Most small time bands and local musicians are shit. When they get good they develop a following and cease to be "local".
>>
Because my local music scene sucks beyond belief
>>
Because my local music scene is entirely hood rats making awful hip-hop and metalcore scenester teenagers.
>>
every music scene is a local music scene somewhere
>>
Jokes on you, I actually do
>>
But I do.

Tatsuya Nakatani this Thursday and giant local LP compilation release show Saturday.
>>
I do to an extent but so many bands are generic as fuck.
I enjoy scenes and group shows though and am working on beign a part of that/

nobody owes anybody anything tho. You cant use a scene to cover up your shitty sound
>>
Because people in my city still aren't over scenecore and it's slowly transitioning into corporate indie.

Las Vegas fucking sucks.
>>
because i don't know where to look for it
>>
I am supporting the local emo and hardcore scene though, it doesn't even suck.
>>
because i hate polish rap and reggae
>>
>>51136781
Natural Dread Killaz?
>>
>>51136791
nope
>>
It doesn't really exist outside of bar bands and shitty singer-songwriters (basically meaning attractive people with acoustic guitars)
>>
>>51136701
What makes you think that I don't?
Most faggots who say their local scene sucks probably haven't left their basements for weeks.
>>
Mostly it's people trying to be hipsters indie shit and copy some other bands, or trying to get mainstream.
sometimes something comes along but then it's not that local anymore
>>
>>51136738
Hello fellow Las Vegan. Any recommended venues? Seems like the Boulevard Pool/Mophie Stage at the Cosmopolitan is the top destination for moderately popular indeh.

I saw Built to Spill last year at Vinyl at Hard Rock. Very intimate, but not the right venue for every artist.
>>
>>51136863
This, the reason you think your music scene suck is probably because you don't know shit about it or because you don't live in a city.
>>
I do, OP.
>tfw the bands in my area are great
>>
>>51136933
I know and love that feel.
>>
>>51136701
I don't think I have a local music scene
>>
>>51136915
Or because you have a superiority complex and dismiss artists or their music as "hipster", "indeh", "meal", etc
>>
>>51136701
because there isn't one where I live
>>
>>51136701
Because I live in a beach town, and you should know how that goes.
>>
because I provide to it

:^)
>>
>>51136976
Wouldn't that be even more incentive to support others?
>>
Everything is zydeco. Nonstop zydeco.
Fuck Louisiana.
>>
I live in Connecticut how the fuck am I supposed to?
>>
>>51136963
This.
>>
>>51136987
(^::^)
(^^::^^)
(^^^::^^^)
(^^::^^)
(^::^)
>>
idk. I don't know anything about it.
>>
>>51137025
http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2014/02/12-connecticut-bands-you-should-know-about.html
>>
>>51137083
Which one? I hear some smaller cities in Sweden have pretty good scenes, like Örebro, Jönköping, Söderhamn and Norrköping
>>
>>51137025
Ask our favorite meme reviewer
>>
I live in a tiny village in one of the smallest countries of the world.

>that
>having a local music scene

Pick one
>>
>>51136701
Because my local music scene is absolutely awful.
>>
Because people scare me and I hate going outside when it's light out.
>>
>>51136911
I honestly don't go to many shows here anymore, I'd rather take a short trip to LA since almost no one I like ever comes here.

When I did go to gigs my usual places were the House of Blues in the Mandalay Bay, the joint at the Hardrock and that tiny ass one next to the M&M factory. Cheyenne Saloon isn't bad either.
>>
>>51136701
I don't have one.
>>
but i do
>>
>>51137272
I missed Man Man downtown back in April. I was so fucking pissed. Saw it on their tour schedule like 2 months after the fact.

I don't like to drive all the way to LA just for a show. I've only seen a few shows here since I moved here a couple years ago.
>>
>>51137359
Did you go to that overpriced Life is Beautiful fest? I'm so fucking pissed about that since it's the ONLY worthwhile music fest in town.

I usually stay a day or two when I'm in LA since there's always something to do and see. Why did you move here?
>>
I do. I go to small festivals and cafes to see bands all the time.
I'm the guy who buys a band's EP after a show in a shitty bar on saturday evening and has a chat with them
>>
>>51137402
Nah, tickets were insane and there were only a couple bands I wanted to see (on different days, of course). Don't forget Electric Daisy too :^)

Man Man was really disappointing because they don't make it out west very often, let alone to Vegas.

I actually lived here several years ago, then moved back to Washington state with my parents, then moved back down here with them because I helped them buy a place when the foreclosures were so cheap.
>>
>>51137478
ugh I'm never going to EDC because it's at the fucking race track next to the Nellis afb, seriously fuck that. I used to go to Nascar races there as a kid and it took 4 hours to get home because of traffic, I can't imagine how bad it is for edc.

Get use to that dude, not a whole lot of people will even touch Vegas, they'll skip right over us and either to go Utah or Arizona and sometimes even fucking Reno.

Nice timing man houses out here are cheap as fuck at the moment and there's a construction boom so the economy is gradually starting to pick up.
>>
>>51137546
Eh, I'm used to it. I came here from Spokane, WA. It's so much of a wasteland there's actually an article about it:

http://www.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2012/10/30/why-would-any-band-play-spokane

I at least got to catch Pixies here back in February. Never could have done that there. I actually saw Built to Spill on their northwest tour up there about a year before I saw them here though, so that was kind of cool. Very different experiences.
>>
File: 1411781879364.png (108KB, 284x359px) Image search: [Google]
1411781879364.png
108KB, 284x359px
Because this is the level of music in my area
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoyTNw-ykX0
>>
>>51136701
because the UK has no diy music to speak of.
every "indie" band is just trying to be the next fucking two door cinema club or radiohead
>>
>>51137823
>because the UK has no diy music to speak of.
That's ironical since that's kinda where diy music came from.
>>
>>51137842
idk- im also just here for the year so maybe im not looking in the right places, but nobody puts on house shows, i havent really found more than 3 or 4 cool labels... all the punk bands just play fucking dadpunk or ska.

of course, the UK has an excellent underground electronic scene but im not in london... i wish i was
>>
>>51137823
Doesn't England have a fantastic math rock scene?
>>
>>51137903
uhhh i dont know. i tend to think most british math rock is basically math pop at this point. most of my favorite bands have been dead or terrible for a while. certainly nothing as interesting as anything like tera melos or don cab or monster machismo over here.

plus british students have even more shit taste than americans.
>>
>>51137071
oh god literally none of that looks appealing in the least
>>
>>51136701

I live in Boston that's why
>>
The entirety of my local music scene is a group of 50 years olds playing rotten oi punk drinking beer and a shitty metalcore band
>>
>>51137703
>implying that isn't amazing and a whole scene of that wouldn't be revolutionary
>>
>>51138173
True, everything in Boston really bombs.
>>
>>51136701
my local music scene is shit
luckily I'm only an hour away from Manchester
>>
Yea I do. Pittsburgh's experimental electronic scene has a lot of young, unrecognized talent doing cool things all over the city right now. It's starting to get some more widespread attention from Resident Advisor and The Wire. Parties/events like Hot Mass and VIA are also helping to raise the profile, and figures like Theo Parrish and and Donato Dozzy have expressed support.

Its actually a pretty cool time to be in Pittsburgh, I have a feeling its gonna blow up soon. Rents cheap and there's a ton of spaces to be creative.
>>
>>51138218
I'll....stick to the theremin, thanks
>>
>>51138173
how can a city of that size have such a poor local scene? aren't there an assload of universities?
>>
>>51138273
Whatever, pleb.
>>
File: goner.jpg (12KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
goner.jpg
12KB, 275x183px
i lucked out with a pretty cool scene in my town, so i do.
>>
because im a shut in who would rather play video games than go outside
>>
>>51136711
>>51136712
/thread
>>
>>51136716
This.
Upstate NY is full of the same metalcore bands and white kids making "gangster" rap.

There are a couple neat bands due to the college kids though.
>>
I live in Green Bay so there really isn't a local scene. Sometimes I go down to Milwaukee because I have friends there but most of the local bands are either twinkly emo revival bullshit or really bad hardcore and djent shit
>>
Because I am my town's music scene.
>>
File: 1411493966822.jpg (13KB, 298x296px) Image search: [Google]
1411493966822.jpg
13KB, 298x296px
>>51138565
Oh? Wanna share some of the stuff you've done?
>>
I live in a town of only 20,000 people, so there isn't much of one, but I do support as much as I can
>>
File: 097.jpg (17KB, 320x350px) Image search: [Google]
097.jpg
17KB, 320x350px
>>51138224

Nice dzhoke
>>
>>51138279

There are, but they're mostly business/law/everything else that isn't music.

And you would think that having Berklee in this city would make some difference.

People just care about money and pride here.
>>
My whole scene is filled with plebs.
I refuse to support plebs anymore.
My scene is literally a meme.
>>
File: andimhip.jpg (46KB, 408x428px) Image search: [Google]
andimhip.jpg
46KB, 408x428px
>>51138819
>everyone around me is plebs
Sounds like you're a meme too
>>
>>51136771
east coast? what city
>>
>>51136701
because the bands on my city sucks.
the local bands here fit into those stuff:

1- bands that only do cover, doing the kind of "i play everything" covers, and not the ones that really try to emulate some artist
2- duo that works like the first type of band but where one person sing and another play acoustic guitar
3- solo that works like the first type of band but with same guy singing and doing
4- post-grunge bands that also sometimes do stuff like type 1 bands
5- bands that do covers of other bands in post-grunge style only
6- black metal bands that no ones knows about, and that I discovered them just because I searched my city on metal archieves as curiosity, those less than 15 bands share the same less than 10 bandmembers
7-Djs that play mainstream music, not exactly remixed, just put mainstream music from today or past
>>
>>51138819
>People around me are doing something I don't approve of
>I'm going to call them plebs because I'm a teenager and can't properly articulate why it bothers me so much
>>
i really try to. there's some good bands but a lot of shit bands
>>
>>51136711
this is especially true today with the internet. you don't have to climb to local ladder anymore to get fans.
>>
>>51136711
>When they get good they develop a following and cease to be "local"
With internet this is sort of true.
Bands go to internet and put their music there and get know by people outside city, even if just few guys.
>>
>>51137453
Bless you
>>
>>51136781
why don't you check some metal and grunge cover bands, we have lots of them
>>51136791
nope
>>
File: spirit of walmart.jpg (71KB, 850x250px) Image search: [Google]
spirit of walmart.jpg
71KB, 850x250px
>tfw city has a large and diverse noise/EAI/experimental electronic scene
>tfw this past weekend was annual Noise Fest
>>
>>51136701
But I am a part of my local scene.
>>
>>51139164
Where the fuck do you live?
>>
>>51139182
St. Pete, Florida.
>>
File: spnf5 flyer.jpg (325KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
spnf5 flyer.jpg
325KB, 800x534px
>>51139191
Oh god you weren't lying
>>
>>51139222
Nope.

This is a promo video they threw together after day one of the fest to advertise the next night:

/video.php?v=10152809218368493&set=vb.537618492&type=2&theater
>>
>>51139325
why did you post half a link
>>
>>51139338
If I had included the "facebook.com" part the post would have been flagged as spam. Just copy and then add facebook.com to watch.
>>
>>51139401
oh ok. i legit didn't know that it was facebook, ty
>>
>>51139523
No problem.
>>
>>51139523
Also got some pics from the weekend too.
>>
>>51139910
was there a big turn-out? something about a noise scene in fucking florida is interesting to me
>>
>>51139968
People were in and out all night (getting food, trips to the store, naps, etc), but at peak hours, there were probably about 50 people inside at any given time on each night.

Noise has a surprisingly big following in Florida. A lot of acts come out of Gainesville, St Pete and Miami in particular, and Miami is where the hold the International Noise Conference, which an annual 4-day fest.
>>
>>51139325
>>51139910
>>51140068
I am beyond amazed that this is a real thing. Why aren't other cities this patrician?
>>
I do. Unfortunately it's mostly shit.
>>
>>51140147
Eh, the Tampa Bay area has actually started getting pretty cool in recent years, but I've come to believe that this kind of stuff happens in lots of cities, but you have to seek it out in order to find it.
>>
i am the local music scene
>>
I do, even when the bands playing suck I still go to the shows. A bad scene is better than none.
>>
Unfortunately, the Dallas/Forth Worth scene is basically non-existent. There's a few crappy indie-folk bands and post-rock bands in Denton but that's really it. People still cling-on to the fact that St. Vincent and Norah Jones came out of here.
Thread posts: 102
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.