[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is 'post-irony' gonna be the new trend in music this decade?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 145
Thread images: 7

File: yung-lean.jpg (59KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
yung-lean.jpg
59KB, 640x360px
Is 'post-irony' gonna be the new trend in music this decade?
>>
>>51134605
>new
That shit started with New Wave
>>
I'm so confused /mu/. Isn't post-irony unironic? Why is it associated with so much stuff that's ironic in one way or another? Is it just that the word "ironic" has lost its connotations through over-usage?
>>
>>51134627
'post-irony' is pretty much taking irony seriously

it's pretty deep I know
>>
WHY THE FUG DO PEOPLE USE "POST" TO DESCRIBE THINGS THAT AREN'T EVEN CLOSE TO SPECIFICALLY "POST" IRONIC

WHAT THE FUG >:DDD
>>
post-irony and new sincerity yeah
>>
>>51134664
can't people just recognize that liking something that has ironic elements isn't the same as (or shameful like) liking something ironically?

I really think that's not the right way to use that word.
>>
this post-irony joke went too far and now some faggots seriously using that shit as their schtick.
>>
>>51134679
post-irony becoming unironic
>>
>>51134627
Unironic=Genuinely good
Ironic=Laughably good because it's bad
Post-Ironic= So bad it's good to the point where it becomes genuinely good.

If irony is done well, it becomes post-ironic.
>>
>>51134678
people do recognize that
that's why it's called post-irony
>>
maybe for about another year.
post-irony is just the new wave of memes, right after rage comics, most post-ironics come from 9gog and funnyjunk.
anyway, it won't bigger than it already is, so it will only decline from now on, tho some aspects may actual transit to actual music
>>
I think everyone ITT is off the mark, seriously.

The internet phase now isn't "post-irony" where everyone takes irony seriously, it's "meta-irony" where everyone ironically does something ironic. Think about how often everyone references an out of fashion meme and slaps on a "xD" or something else retarded. Clearly they're not that retarded, and they're not even making fun of people that retarded. THEY'RE MAKING FUN OF PEOPLE MAKING FUN OF THOSE PEOPLE (caps for emphasis, not rage).
>>
>>51134693
>new wave of memes

after WW1 cynicism suddenly became really popular, I think as a reaction to modern day society, post-irony will be the new way to go

it's gonna be a big thing trust me
>>
>>51134605
im thinking post-internet / eurodance revival

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmnX04jBYO0
>>
>>51134687
>If irony is done well, it becomes post-ironic.
You are so awful and dumb I hate you
>>
File: a.gif (2MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
a.gif
2MB, 500x500px
>>51134704
>le serious analysis of le maymay culture
>>
>>51134716
The internet is srs bzns, newfag, an hero plox
>>
>>51134690
then what's the point of calling it "post irony" People have liked media with ironic elements for ages. you can like something ironically or sincerely, why confuse that by giving a special term to ironic things you like sincerely?
>>
>>51134729
i dont get why you're so confused
it's not that hard
>>
>>51134704
>Think about how often everyone references an out of fashion meme and slaps on a "xD" or something else retarded. Clearly they're not that retarded, and they're not even making fun of people that retarded.

but that is just normal irony

it become post-irony when people start using 'xD' legitimately, and not just to mock people
>>
damn, some serious philosophy shit ITT.
>>
>>51134733
no, it makes sense to me the way you explained it. it just seems stupid and unnecessary

really I was just trying to argue with /mu/ culture and there's no argument to be had there
>>
I think people are past the cliche Coldplay le sad face walking down the beach type of persona that literally every artist try's to adopt

Le edgy look up and deep camera stare to show how deep and artistic I am
>>
>>51134736
The point is that they're trying to "ironically" referencing something that used to be "ironic". The irony has shifted one level back. Meta doesn't imply a new phase like "post" does, the point is the context--the subject of irony has moved to irony itself (hence "meta").
>>
>>51134736
maybe read the first part of his post again.
>>
>>51134687
post irony is when people start taking things that are supposed to be ironic seriously
>>
Whereas in postmodern irony something is meant to be cynically mocked and not taken seriously, and in new sincerity something is meant to be taken seriously or "unironically"; post-irony combines these two elements by either (i) having something absurd taken seriously or (ii) be unclear as to whether something is meant to be ironic

this is important:
be unclear as to whether something is meant to be ironic
>>
>>51134749
I think a lot of the time online people forget that their peers are constantly changing and generally staying the same age. so while one may think people are getting to be dumb and super meta-meta-etc-ironic, it may just be a growing age gap
>>
internet means culture moves so fast that trends are cycled within months as opposed to decades
we're already on the tail end of post internet
>>
>>51134749
according to wikipedia, the usage of 'post' is correct though

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-irony

but you make sense though
>>
>>51134758
what artists would you consider post ironic?
>>
meta-irony might very well describe my entire style of humor
the use (or lack of use!) of irony in situations where it is (or isn't!) ironic to do so

fuck i am a shithead aren't i
>>
>>51134758
I like this description
>>
>>51134775
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBAtAM7vtgc
maybe not Kanye in general but definitely this song and video
>>
>>51134775
Vaporwave and Cloudrap/"Memerap" are pretty much the 'post-ironic' genres
>>
>>51134775
vaporwave is the epitome of post-ironic
>>
>>51134693
Meme Music, believe it or not, is actually a very big deal now. It owns a serious influence over popular media as a whole.

Meme Rap, Vaporwave, Sam Hyde, Eric Andre, Parker Ito, Fashion Trends, alt-comics, Wes Anderson, the Social Media-- There's a real common thread between all of these things, they seem to fit with one another perfectly.
It's easy to write them off as just 'oh that's internet hipster meme shit', and that may very well be true-- but that doesn't negate its extraordinary power.

Art trends are going somewhere, I don't know where and what it means. But Meme art is definitely a force to be reckoned with.

I think we're starting to see a re-acceptance of cliche and genuine feeling. A lot of this post-ironic music, to me, seems to be incredibly biting yet full of genuine affection for what its judging. The Far Side Virtual is a prime example.

>>51134740
damn, some serious shit philosophy ITT
FTFY
>>
>>51134787
I dunno man, I feel like that video's just embracing that aesthetic (whatever you want to call it) without actually making anyone scratch their heads wondering how ironic it is. This makes me wonder- if post irony is actually thought of as a movement, how could it be post ironic? Everyone would know what the movement means. there'd be no question of its intent
>>
>>51134772
That's a fair criticism of the argument, and I don't feel like it's at all disprovable. My impression, however, is that a lot of the really annoying reddit-tier memes are age gap based whereas a lot of the /mu/-niche memes are a bit more meta. That could very well be my bias, but my reasoning for this is there is a lot of rehashing that lacks sincerity which fits the meta profile.
>>
>>51134801
this post so much

I mean how the fuck can you think that so called 'memes' don't influence real life culture, when the internet is so big as it is right now
>>
>>51134803
Rewatch the video as if it were completely genuine
>>
File: postironicfilms.jpg (272KB, 900x1115px) Image search: [Google]
postironicfilms.jpg
272KB, 900x1115px
>>51134803
>without actually making anyone scratch their heads wondering how ironic it is
that's the point
it is an unapologetic love song with a shallow, simple aesthetic
post-irony doesn't mean something needs to be complex and layered
>>
>>51134780
We are all guilty. The first step is to acknowledge that we have a problem. :^)
>>
>>51134787
but how is specifically "post"-irony instead of just irony?
>>
>>51134840
should a support group be formed? we can talk about how many :^) are you posting a day, etc?
>>
File: 1414986147083.png (79KB, 1492x1172px) Image search: [Google]
1414986147083.png
79KB, 1492x1172px
>>51134780
me too
people often don't get my humor

they think i'm sincere when i'm (obviously) joking
and the other way 'round
sometimes i don't even know when i'm sincere

when a friend shows me something i always immediately say it's shit, but real friends can (most of the time) tell if i'm being sincere or not.
>>
>>51134780
>>51134840
>>51134859
Oh my god why don't you get it, you don't have a fucking problem at all

Post-irony is going to be the new cynicism, it's gonna define the new modern culture of the west as a whole
>>
>>51134871
Sorry m8, we're the '10s, defined by SJWs.
>>
>>51134858
because there's nothing ironic about it
>>
>>51134880
Leave it to you to bring that up when nobody was fucking talking about it, nerd
>>
>>51134897
fite me irl
>>
>>51134871
are you being ironic, post-ironic, new-sincere or just sincere
>>
>>51134902
suck a pp
>>
>>51134904
I was being sincere in that post
>>
>>51134904
Meta-sincere-fusion
>>
>>51134910
>>
>>51134926
sincere again

and this post is sincere too
>>
>>51134912
kekd
>>
what defines a person

i'm scared because all i can think of are 1. my fetishes 2. my taste in art and 3. my style of humor
my job and major seem to have no impact on my sense of self
should i kill myself
>>
>>51134858
Juxtaposition of Kanye's fighter-love song with a visual array of the grand canyon, horses, motorcycle. It would be just ironic if it were self-aware of how bad it was, but there's no serious evidence of any sarcasm or contempt.

One could even argue that Bound 2 itself is a bit of a post-ironic, maybe even new sincere anthem, as it-- with its 80sesque chorus, mixed with hardcore rap and death imagery, commands of fucking and stereotypical high-class bling culture, is still meant to express true, emotion. It's supposed to be cliche because Kayne loves cliche.

What really drives this home is the fact that it's being sung over an old classic, unironic, soul-pop song sung by little children.

Basically, It's cheesy content employed in a genuine, appreciative manner.
>>
File: get i.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
get i.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>51134904
>>
I'm afraid that there will never be a sincerity resurgence after this in popular music. Pop songs will be intentionally and unapologetically shit even admitting it in the songs themselves.
>>
>>51134943
>my job and major seem to have no impact on my sense of self

How the fuck is your occupation supposed to form your personality you mong? Were you a completely different person before you got that job at McDonalds? No you were not.
>>
>>51134956
spoiler: that's the joke
>>
>>51134943
>>
>>51134968
No, you really don't get it

>>51134904
this post is ironic

>>51134956
this post is post-ironic

He knows you were being ironic, that's what makes his post post-ironic post
>>
>>51134974
yes

>>51134965
well idk
lots of people define themselves by their job
"i'm a _____" "i _____ ______s for a living"
>>
>>51134943
I think it's organic. Some people are totally defined by their career, and others aren't at all. It's a reflection of your values and priorities/inclinations or whatever, so I guess since you're a sum of your values in a way, they can serve as a proxy for who you are as a person.
>>
>>51134978
>>
>>51134982
That's not how they define themselves, that;s just how they introduce themselves
>>
File: 115.jpg (8KB, 210x229px) Image search: [Google]
115.jpg
8KB, 210x229px
>>51134978
No, that's not how it works!
>>
i wish yung lean would die
>>
>>51134978
no, this post
>>51134968
is new sincerity
>>
>>51134999
I was being ironic
>>
>>51134996
how do they define themselves
what the heck is a self anyways
>>
>>51134992
>>51134926
>>51134904
The real question is that are these posts being ironic, post-ironic, new sincere, sincere, or just sarcastic.

Irony is way too fucking layered, while being remarkably simple. Isn't that ironic?
>>
Everyone ironically making fun of this thread with "are you being ironic, post-ironic, ..." please see:
>>51134704
while I jerk myself off furiously to this confirmation.
>>
>>51135013
>>
>>51135010
I enjoyed some of the songs on his new album.
His producers are good and have a cool sound.
He just needs to try harder.
>>
>>51134704
xD
>>
Wooow, this thread is just so post-post-meta-ironic it hurts XD
>>
>>51135025
>>
>>51135038
>>
>>51135044
>>
>>51135045
I'm being genuine with a hint of irony
>>
>>51135056
are you being ironic, post-ironic, new-sincere or death grips
>>
i love this thread sincerely
>>
Where does repetition fit into post-irony?
>>
>>51135076
The King of Limbs
>>
>>51135056
I am being new-ironic-sincere with post-irony tones
>>51135076
Repetition is the key to success
>>
>>51135089
are you being
>>
>>51135076
things are less unexpected ie less ironic the more often you repeat them
i'm sure you can work out how that plays into the system
(overusing jokes, using outdated jokes, etc.)
>>
>>51135080
what
how
>>
File: 1413560386764.jpg (34KB, 500x379px) Image search: [Google]
1413560386764.jpg
34KB, 500x379px
But what if i am post-ironic ironically?
>>
>>51135099
>>
You think you know thre game. You dont even know what it was made ofr. the construct in whciny ou are sued ot was only a concept mad ebyt eh febele minded over thinker sof a cioety in whicn we learnt was not the direction in whcih wanted ot head but were doomeed to go in anyway. the presure of s soce3iuty were too much to comrpehehdn because the midlesnss intake of a mdeia machine caused us to loose our sense of free thinking. we mbecame sheep who folowoe dth shsepppahred,. cogs in a mchien that wa sonly a matter of time befpor ew elost our midns completeyuly, becomign much and pulllar or constantfitlt ejshuejneemne in ateks of the grabnians setpsssslse of time tht e time we had on our hands was too muych but enevr enough for the decusions which wee crucual
>>
>>51135098
I am a real human being
>>
>>51135102
it all falls under the post-irony (i really prefer meta-irony personally) umbrella
>>
>>51135102
I dont wanna go full on feminist but fathers like Ian and Kurt were damn selfish.
My friend lost her dad at an early age. Like there are phil 101 classes for fuck sake that try to say a woman isnt gonna kill herself after the death of her husband because she has kids and loves them but damn fathers u selfish
>>
>>51135099
I thought overuse made them more ironic?
Because if you're aware of a repetition, and actively pursue to overuse--say, a joke, aren't you deliberately working against the purpose of a joke, thus being ironic?
>>
To me, post-irony is highly connected to the demise of the "guilty pleasure" as a useful concept. It's no longer cool to say that you feel guilty for liking something, because why the fuck should you feel guilty, you're an autonomous individual with desires and interests so back the fuck off world and just let me listen to Michelle Branch in peace

However, there is still a performative aspect to the act of proclaiming your love for Michelle Branch, because as a hip and relevant 21st Century (Digital Boy), you're likely well-aware of the fact that she isn't exactly a critical darling. This is where post-irony comes in - you're not supposed to just say you like Michelle Branch, you're supposed to couch it in an "ironic" joke WHICH STILL MAKES IT CLEAR TO THE READER THAT YOU ACTUALLY LIKE MICHELLE BRANCH.

That is post-irony: being allowed to like things that are deemed "uncool" while still acknowledging their subordinate position in the cultural hierarchy.

consume a dick
>>
>>51135126
>>51135150
This sounds more like new sincerity to me
>>
>>51135126
>>51135150
Pretty good analysis
>>
>>51135126
Not bad, but I'm not 100% on board with your reasoning for the demise of the "guilty pleasure". It seems to me like, as far as music is concerned, guilty pleasures died as concept as part of a backlash against the whole "wrong generation" or even anti-pretentiousness phase we're in.

Autonomy from a strong independent music listener who don't need no judging is a great theoretical reason but I don't think people are there (nor will they ever be).
>>
>>51135135
Kurt, yeah

Ian, I'm not so sure. With Kurt it was more about the drugs and him thinking his child would be better off without him, even though that's obviously not true. He could've quit (Yeah I know it isn't easy. No seriously, I know)

With Ian, he was just a fucking mess, to where his child might actually have been better off without him. Everything was sort of stacked against him, I honestly don't blame him
>>
>>51135150
no. that is new sincerity
>>
>>51135150
It's not just the demise of the 'guilty pleasure' though

it's just society in general being fucking sick of always having to conform to stupid social norms
>>
Post-irony is rejecting the idea of irony because you reject really feeling one way or the other. We are transient, and thus there is no true feeling or true expectation. There is only the present and the now. There are no preconceived idea or notions in post-irony. You aren't making fun of anything. You just are.
>>
>>51135176
If I ever become a dad I would know instantly that if I died my daughters would become daddy issues sluzzas who could fall in love with older men and fuck everything that moves just to feel daddys love
>>
>>51135172
I think we're seeing a new revival of 'wrong generation' because people are trying to escape pretentious irony

I think that's partly why vaporwave and meme-aestheticism got so popular
>>
kill urselves my men
>>
>>51135200
the only girls who ever talk to me are girls without fathers around

my gf cheated on me and gave the excuse that she cheats because she has never had a father figure stay around or something. so used to people leaving.

ughhh

im bitter
>>
>>51135195
>You aren't making fun of anything. You just are.
But a lot of post-ironic humorists are making fun of irony in an ironic manner.

I mean look at Tim & Eric
>>
>>51135161
>>51135179
No one has ever been able to explain the difference between the two in a way that makes sense to me.
>>
>>51135218
That's meta-irony, not post-irony.
>>
>>51135207
>I think that's partly why vaporwave and meme-aestheticism got so popular

but that's music from this generation, so I don't get:
>I think we're seeing a new revival of 'wrong generation'
>>
>>51135135
But isn't it selfish to make them suffer because they cannot off themselves?
>>
>>51135218
>>51135218
But there is no goal. Sometimes it's for a purpose, sometimes it's not, sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's not. The mood and atmosphere changes, sometimes sincere, sometimes ironic, because they are both the same. Sometimes some times?
>>
>>51135200
Probably not
>>
>>51135222
then you don't "get" it
>>
>>51135235
But I don't get it. It's not about an attack or being funny. I am making fun of you by not making fun of you, and not making fun of you by making fun of you. It's not about the intention, but the action. And that action is fueled by an intentionless intention.
>>
>>51135110
are you being ironic, post-ironic, new-sincere, sincere or just drunk
>>
>>51135222
Post Irony:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cflCyyEA2I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU8HrO7XuiE

New Sincerity:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qgXYvjVNvk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xYW-ADt70c
>>
>>51135296
evryines
>>
>>51135311
Daniel Johnston is just sincerity, New Sincerity implies self-awareness and rebellion against irony
>>
>>51135247
Okay, so explain to me how Yung Lean, the epitome of "meme rap", would fall under post-irony and not New Sincerity.

In the above music video (probably), he types 2002 into Google on an iPhone. I'm assuming he does this because he has a genuine affinity for, or at least a genuine interest in, the year 2002. Why else would he do it? To poke fun at the prevalence of nostalgia in today's media, maybe, but considering his age he likely has nostalgic memories of that year as well. Is this not New Sincerity, then, to announce to the world that yeah nostalgia is fucking lame, but I'm going to do it anyway? Then again I really dislike Yung Lean so I might be completely misinterpreting this whole thing but whatever

My point is that there's a ton of overlap between the two concepts and there's no finite boundary where one stops and the other begins. In other words, no one "gets" it.
>>
>>51135353
>In other words, no one "gets" it.
that's philosophy for you
>>
this thread is memetastic :^)
>>
>>51135455
nice mr pointy nose happy face man meme
>>
>>51135476
>>
what do you mean gonna be. it already is
>>
>>51135496
post-sincere ironycore
>>
>>51134956
scale down your images jesus
>>
>>51135848
>>
>>51135881
I'm being sincere, and I fucking hope my ISP isn't giving me shit bandwidth ironically
>>
>>51134612
how?
>>
Post-irony is the state of something being stupid and no one caring anymore due to the over-saturation of supposedly 'ironic' stupid things.

i.e

Grown men wearing t-shirts with kid's prints like dinosaurs on them, or

a faded sign for a kebab-shop that says "kebabulous"
>>
nice thread
>>
>>51136381
No that's exactly what post-irony is not

Because for post-irony, something has to be ironic in the first place
>>
>>51136454
post-irony is just a new framework, not a clause applied to specific cases anon...

something can't be ironic and un-ironic at the same time, that's fucking stupid.
>>
>>51135076
Well Swans are pretty post-ironic, imo. I only enjoy To Be Kind because the droning literally makes me angry. It's the musical equivalent of going on the internet and arguing with trolls for fun.
>>
Post irony is the new new sincerity.
Also, Lean isn't really ironic, at least not anymore. Unknown Memory is a strong AOTY contender.
>>
>>51136478
>that's fucking stupid.
That's exactly it though.
>>
>>51134605
I went to a Danny Brown show a week ago and the guy who opened for him was doing this vaporwave sadboys meme shit with kaleidoscoped footage of N64 games and anime on a screen in the background. Apparently 17 year olds are way into that shit now.
Thread posts: 145
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.