[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your favorite music genres, anons? And why? I l

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

File: 100%.jpg (35KB, 805x505px) Image search: [Google]
100%.jpg
35KB, 805x505px
What's your favorite music genres, anons? And why?

I love good old rock'n'roll, jazz (bebop, swing, free jazz), country, folk and avant-garde. Good old times of music, jesus fuck. That groove, that riffs, that pianos, those saxophones everywhere. Fuck me hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC3Q_PlD8Ug
>>
i like hardcore punk derivatives, esp post-hardcore and emocore
i like the cathartic climaxes tempered by the sinister build-ups
i like the sad
i like the cool imagery

i also like kpop
i like dancing
i like cute girls

that's mostly what i listen to lately

what do you mean by avant-garde because that doesn't really fit my definition of good old times music
>>
>>51133588
I generally like post-punk the most.
It has something thats really unlike other geners. It's kind of dark and at the same time full of energy.

I also like post-rock, especially the heavy stuff, and yeah the crescendos are fine by me.
>>
>>51133609
>what do you mean by avant-garde because that doesn't really fit my definition of good old times music
Yeah, I know. I beg you pardon for my mistake. I should say "also, I like avant-garde music". Avant-garde is just avant-garde. But well, free jazz is kinda avant-garde so you know, Coleman, Braxton, Coltrane and stuff.
>>
>>51133609
good old time cpt beefheart, the velvet underground, frank zappa and the rest of the freaks
>>
>>51133588
Post-punk, post-rock, psychedelia, folk rock, free jazz, hard bop, noise rock

I'm a sucker for classic rock instrumentation, but also creativity, improvisation, and experimentation. Bands who work pop sensibilities into that in a meaningful way is also a plus. I really like all sorts of stuff, if a song uses verse chorus verse and in 4/4 I could still love it, it really just depends.
>>
>>51133588
rock, funk, jazz, hip hop, classical, punk.

i don't really feel like naming all the subgenres of rock and jazz that i listen to.
>>
I like ambient/ ambient drone
I like the textures
I like the ambiguity of emotions
I like the calmness
I like that I can feel the music envelope me (fuck that's gay, but still)
>>
Mostly ambient, drone, psychedelic, folk, free jazz, also dub/minimal techno.
>>
File: coolkid.jpg (9KB, 204x263px) Image search: [Google]
coolkid.jpg
9KB, 204x263px
>>51133658
Good taste, man.
>>
>>51133676
why

>>51133662
why
>>
>>51133683
huh?
>>
>>51133687
>What's your favorite music genres, anons? And why?

Don't just list shit, it's boring.
>>
>>51133700
what's the point of asking why you like what you like?
>>
>>51133588
>that riffs

indeed it does
>>
>>51133700
I like the way it sounds. ;)
>>
>>51133705
MUSIC DISCUSSION.
>>
>>51133705
wow

and here i was thinking that analyzing that very question was at the heart of music discussion
>>
>>51133705
What's the point of discussing music ??

It's subjective! I JUST LIKE IT SO I NEVER HAVE TO EXPLAIN MYSELF HAHAHAHHAH FUCK
>>
>>51133711
>>51133714
it's shitty music discussion that leads to nothing
>>
>>51133705
For discussion and to hear other anons opinions. The point of this board. You think anyone cares about an anonymous list of genres?
>>
>>51133721
ok what's some good music discussion
let's change the topic of the thread to that
>>
>>51133721
Oh yes, of course. Better way for music discussion are k-pop threads and last.fm fucking faggotry.
>>
>>51133721
You derailed it into more autism instead of just participating, thread was going well. Nice work shitstain.
>>
>>51133737
can everyone shut up about kpop threads
i have them filtered so i don't have to deal with them ever
i hear more about kpop from you fuckers than from 1000 of those threads
>>
>>51133745
This.
>>
So what do we do with this thread now? I feel like we should still do something constructive.
>>
>>51133767
let's hold hands
>>
>>51133728
What sort of discussion is going to develop when you ask for someone's favorite genres?
>>
post-punk, post-rock and avant-garde are my main faves. Lately getting into post-hardcore and minimalism.

I mainly like how they take the base of a long time developed genre and rip it up and start a new genre from scratch that it's a bit more artsy or experimental. And for avant-garde, I just like how they come up with crazy sounds and ideas out of nowhere (or probably drugs) and still make it sound good.

I'd like to hear your favorites on each genre too.

>>51133635
>and yeah the crescendos are fine by me.
third wave fag detected
>>51133666
Fuck that's how I feel specifically about Stars of the Lid. I think it's the only drone/ambient artist that makes me feel that way. Harold Budd, Eno, Hecker and Frost have neat textures though.
>>51133767
Yeah, go on with what we had started. Nothing wrong with discussing our favorite genres.
>>
>>51133969
what sorts of post-hardcore are we talking about exactly

there's a lot of marriage between post-hardcore (especially emo/screamo) and post-rock that i bet you'd dig
>>
>>51133982
Cap'n Jazz, Fugazi, Unwound, Moss Icon, Lync

I love post-rock and post-hardcore fusions, especially Indian Summer. And of course I'd love to hear new ones!
>>
>>51133969
>I'd like to hear your favorites
>post-punk
Crazy Rhythms, Entertainment!, Metal Box

>post-rock
Millions Now Living, Spirit of Eden, Hex

I won't pretend to know anything about avant-garde
>>
>>51134016
city of caterpillar is probably my favorite
they're like a more refined indian summer with a splash of gybe for good measure
i also really really like killie, but they're a bit heavier on the screamo side
>>
>>51133588
I like noise rock , Vocal less mathrock ,post rock, noisy avant-garde stuff,sludgy stuff too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwdywW-dU2E
>>
>>51134051
City of Caterpillar are really good indeed, they remind me of Shipping News too.

Don't know about Killie, are they related in any ways to Long Fin Killie (the post-rock band, that is)? I guess it's just a coincidence
>>
>>51134074
maybe that's where they got their name, idk
but they're great
they don't really weave the post-rocky samples and soundscapes in with the hardcore music, they kind of slam it together which makes for some really cool juxtaposition and, like, whiplash
it's really exciting
>>
>>51134119
Nice, will check them out. Any specific album I should look into? (if they have only like two I'll check them both)
>>
>>51134177
they've got two full-lengths that are both pretty good, but my favorite is don't want to escape from the underground, which is a quick little ep
it's a bit heavy on the spoken word, and it's in japanese, so idk if that's the best place to start necessarily but you seem like an adventurous fellow haha
>>
>>51134200
I can dig spoken word and japanese vocals aren't a problem. But yeah, I'll probably listen to it all this afternoon
>>
>Hip-Hop
>Avant Garde
>Dadrock
>Jazz (Bebop and Swing)
>Power Metal
>Prog Rock
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.