[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Meaning Behind Death Grips' Music

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 11

File: death grips mc ride.jpg (1MB, 2000x1335px) Image search: [Google]
death grips mc ride.jpg
1MB, 2000x1335px
For those of you who don't know what Death Grips' lyrics are all about, or what exactly connects all their albums together, it's actually pretty simple. They are all linked under the theme of 'identity'
>Exmilitary: The Primal Identity of Mankind
(The album is about a character who is ruled by nothing but primal urges, such the urge for sex, murder, drugs etc.)
>The Money Store: The Loss of Identity
(The album is about losing one's sense of identity to drugs, paranoia, violence, the internet etc.)
>No Love Deep Web: The Betrayal of one's Identity
(The album is about how paranoia and anger lead to self-hatred and eventually self-destruction, whether in literal terms, like suicide, or in symbolic terms, such as ego-death)
>Government Plates: The Separation from one's Identity as a Coping Mechanism
(The album is about how paranoia, abuse and self-hatred can lead to one feeling isolated from their own identity and become a sort of observer to your own self)
>The Powers That B Part 1: Outward Identity and Conclusion
(Some tracks of this album appear to be about what your identity is in other people's eyes, and also what outward things you identify with, such as your job, your race, your hometown etc. It also appears to be a summary of everything that has come before, the tracks here show an admission of the narrator's primary urges, loss of identity, self-hatred and disconnect from himself)
Death Grips' message has always been about the importance of good self-esteem and honesty with yourself, if you're gay, be proud of it, if you have a penis, don't be ashamed of it, if you have a strange fetish, don't be embarrassed. They're music feels so empowering sometimes because it's a celebration of ourselves, specifically, the elements of ourselves that don't often get a lot of praise. But it can also be so depressing because of how it shows the effects of bad self-esteem and being ashamed or disconnected from your own identity.
>>
I don't think a single DG song even has a coherent theme, let alone multi-album spanning concepts.
>>
OP here, I'd also like to add that this does actually give the albums a continuing storyline almost.
Part One: Primal (like mankind's origins)
Part Two: Loss of MC's Identity
Part Three: MC's self-hatred
Part Four: MC's disconnecting from himself to cope
Part Five: MC finally accepting his identity
>>
>>50980575
Kind of disagree on the money store. It is definitely about being lost in a life of drugs and violence but I don't really see the loss of identity motif in that album.
>>
>>50980575
Also, NLDW seems to have more to do with paranoia and self conflict than anything. I'm really failing to see any themes of identity in a lot of their work.
>>
Exmilitary
>denial
The Money Store
>anger
No Love Deep Web
>bargaining
Government Plates
>depression
The Powers that B
>acceptance

discuss
>>
File: tip-of-an-iceberg.jpg (31KB, 354x303px) Image search: [Google]
tip-of-an-iceberg.jpg
31KB, 354x303px
>>50980575
Please delete this thread. You couldn't be farther from what the "meaning behind DG" actually is. You are so clueless, it's like you just started to listen to DG last week and have all these theories and ideas that EVERYONE already fucking knows yet you think it's the end all be all when it comes to DG when infact its just the tip of the iceberg. Most of this shit is /r/deathgrips-tier cringe worthy.

Check this thread out for actual analysis and comments made by people who aren't children: https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/S48008195
>>
>>50980956
The Fever:
>I got the diamonds, scrapin, slidin, wastin my life in altered states
Deep Web:
>In my glass house prepared for surprise attack
>Realized I held the blade inside my back
Up My Sleeves:
>Some things only I have seen
>Some people only I have been
>Used to know who I was
>Fuck if I knew who that was
These are the more obvious ones
>>
>>50981118
edgemaster3000
>>
>>50981118
>Please delete this thread about the enthusiastic discussion of music!
>>
>>50981140
I'm going to ask you a question and be honest OP. How much DG have you listened to exactly?
>>
>>50980575
Bump
>>
File: image.jpg (16KB, 236x285px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16KB, 236x285px
>>50981222
>>
>>50980575
Oh is this the epic post that every DG makes when they're 15?

LMAO GUIUZE EMXIL : HE"S VERY LE PRIMAL AND FETUS YOUNG ANGERY HAHAH

LMAO GUIZE TMS: DRUGS AND SEX AND LE INTERNET xDD

LMAO GUiZE NLDW: PARNIUD AND LOST AND DEMENTED AND CRAZY XDD

LMAO GUYZE GP: PARNOIA IDNENTIY GOVENRMNET CONSIPICARY THEORY !!

LMAO GUIZE NOTM: SEX FUCK LETS FUCK xDD!

It's easy to just name the album titles and subsequent adjectives that convey the overall album's mood. It's been done to death before. But whats hard is actually going through each and every verse on the album and deriving meaning, making claims, and supporting those claims. But since this isn't an English course people just resort to putting labels/adjectives describing each and every album thinking they're "onto something".

You can easily look at OP's pic and just swap all the descriptions and place them under different album titles and you wouldn't bat an eye because most of the time he's using the same adjectives.
>>
>>50981118
Don't act like you know any more about their intentions than anyone else. I bet you watched I Be Area and actually thought it was enlightening
>>
>>50981222
I've been listening to them almost every day since 2012
I was simply trying to point of the lyrics that directly deal with identity, but oh no, I have to answer to you, the anon who clearly knows everyone, the anon who is far wiser than anyone else in the world, the anon who is so insecure that the second he sees that someone's opinion disagrees with his he has to attempt to belittle them and assert his sense of superiority.
>>
>>50981118
I feel like this is going to evolve into some delicious pasta.
>>
>>50981319
I've analyzed the bands every move and know more about them than every fan put together. You could even bring literature professors and they'd look puzzled compared to my knowledge and understanding of DG. Lmao fucking OP doesn't even know the answer to "the meaning behind their music" which, if you don't, you might as well not call yourself a DG fan
>>
File: GETGOT.jpg (520KB, 3300x2550px) Image search: [Google]
GETGOT.jpg
520KB, 3300x2550px
>>50981316
>people just resort to putting labels/adjectives describing each and every album thinking they're "onto something"
holy shit this, put some fucking effort into it people liek this anon did in pic related
>>
File: 1412974502805.png (61KB, 673x501px) Image search: [Google]
1412974502805.png
61KB, 673x501px
>>50981388
i really do hope you're joking around
>>
>>50980575
Dude what the fuck
I''m at government plates stage right now.
>>
>>50981118
interesting stuff in that link. I-Be-area is interesting film
>>
>>50980638
/thread

go write a blog OP
>>
Even though you've got some points, I feel like its a mistake to look at their albums sequentially in a lyrical and thematic sense. Obviously there's a musical evolution and increasing levels of abstraction with every new album, but reading them as some kind of storyline seems a bit more straightforward taht what DG would usually indulge in (Zach might've also denied that there's a story or recurring character, I don't have a source on that though).
>>
Yeah but why cant he sing normally
>>
The meaning behind Death Grips' music: MC Ride is a 10 year veteran pizza boy art school dropout and writes random lyrics that mean nothing. Enjoy the catchy beats and stop trying to read deeply into something so shallow
>>
>>50980575
Did you submit this essay to your 10th grade english teacher?
>>
Every post here is cringeworthy

Even the people calling out the OP

>>50981118
lol nice fucking iceburg picture
>>
>>50981388
>I've analyzed the bands every move and know more about them than every fan put together
and the knowledge of every fan put together about DG still isn't that much. Also, how can anyone be so arrogant as to put words in an artist's mouth and assume that they fully understand what went into their music?
>>
>>50981491
Although I think OP is beyond retarded I do think that DG's lyrics is a lot more appealing than their "catchy beats". I can see why people who havent been exposed to hardcore experimental abrasive rap before would only cling onto their beats and say they're the only noteworthy part of the music. But MC Ride is unlike any other rapper out there right now. People just call it "random lyrics that mean nothing" because it frustrates them that they cant derive any meaning. But Ride's lyrics are FAR from meaningless anon.
>>
>>50981516
lol relax faggot it was a shitpost, my point is that no one knows exactly what dg's "meaning" is but the way they're going about answering the question is fucking lazy and self-entitled
>>
>>50981516
so whatre they about? thoughts on this internet communism idea?
>>
File: o.o.png (149KB, 274x410px) Image search: [Google]
o.o.png
149KB, 274x410px
>>50980575
>mfw
>>
I think we should hold off trying to come up with the meaning behind death grips' music until they release their final album
>>
File: image.jpg (45KB, 394x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45KB, 394x400px
>>50981324
Um what

First off, I wanted to gauge how much DG you listen to because you had specific lyrics at the ready for your argument from each album, so don't make presumptions about me because I actually wanted to contribute. Secondly, I think you're right on all but maybe The Money Store. Government Plates is spot on tho, especially Birds, which I interpret to be the killing of his youthful innocence(feeding the bluebird bleach). I just think Money Store is more of a plunge into carnal pleasures(drugs, sex, jewelry), and in that way a sequel to ExM's theme of Primal instincts and urges
>>
>>50981491
>MC Ride is a 10 year veteran pizza boy art school dropout and writes random lyrics that mean nothing. Enjoy the catchy beats and stop trying to read deeply into something so shallow
Your average "Exmilitary is their best album" DG fan everybody!
>>
>>50981140
Yes, I know the lyrics to these songs. But an identity motif is not as common and reoccurring enough for me to see how identity is the main point.
>>
>>50981626
the most logical thing said in this entire thread
>>
>>50981627
I apologize, I thought you were
>>50981118

Interesting ideas though
>>
>>50981588
>i know everything about DG
>no one knows exactly what dg's "meaning" is
lol

>>50981592
I dunno, I'm holding some futile hope that whatever's on Jenny Death will help make everything a bit more clear, but I'm pretty sure it'll just leave us with more questions. Honestly since they'll likely never give another interview we've got more loose ends than we know what to do with, especially since Zach's thrown out a lot of rhetoric in interviews that the band's subsequent moves shed different light on. I don't believe any album-to-album concepts though, i try to look at them as a holistic project.
>>
>>50981745
yeah i literally told you in that post that the post you replied to was a shit post
>>
>>50981649
Nope, NLDW and GP are my favorites since they have the catchiest beats. This is what people sound like ITT:

>watching sesame street
>big bird teaching us about shapes
>triangle
>illuminati?
>are they saying Oscar the Grouch is Cheney and 9/11 was done by the Count because it has the numbers 9 and 11?
>>
>>50981791
Thanks for telling us how people ITT sound like although I don't see how it has anything to do with the fact that NLDW and GP are your favorite albums because of the catchiness of the beats.

What i'm telling you is that you're really stupid for not being able to see that DG's lyrics > DG's beats
>>
>>50981745
>holistic project

very much agreed. in the days of a breakdown and dispersion of communication channels into social media and the like there have been few artists who seem thus far to 'make the whole thing art' so to speak, in terms of how they represent themselves.. they do cool shit no doubt and this melting of communication seems in line with their views about 'possesion' of art, as they give it out for free and say fuck the record company system

their message and medium and self representation seem all intertwined. plus fucking hell yes punk and computers and screaming rap first time since the beastie boys
>>
>>50981835
the day they announced the break I realized how exciting it's been to be alive in this specific time, both as a fan of their and as a music listener in general. There hasn't been any other time in history when a group like DG could have existed, and chances are, in the future, people who weren't around to see them do it won't quite get what they did (not to say that we do either). It all makes me wish that there were more groups that could completely embody their ideology while still making kickass music.
>>
>>50981827
You have to actually sit down and read through the lyrics of one of DG songs before you can really put it together though. That guy probably only likes 'bangers' and listens to like 2-3 songs of each albums.
>>
>>50981968
100s of groups existed like Death Grips, they just weren't stomached by the mainstream and thus heard fawned over by you and other /mu/tants
>>
>>50981974
Yeah its a shame people are like that
>>
>>50981968
fuckin a right. i had a few friends in high school, 3 years ago, who saw a bunch of their shows and suffice to say im pretty jealous now..
embodying asceticism so completely hasnt been around since like punk rock, or like andy kaufman or something, and the explosion of media in todays culture is the perfect time to do so.
not to pose-- or to question what it means to put up any kind of image of oneself in todays culture... agreed it makes you think its an exciting ttime to be alive and making art
>>
>>50982005
I'm not talking about the fact that they made abstract abrasive hip hop. I'm talking about all the other shit that they've done. Stop trying to feel superior, this is just a discussion. I was into dalek and Techno Animal (and other Kevin Martin projects) before I even heard DG for what it's worth.
>>
>>50982014
Yeah, I don't want to come of as a pretentious fuck wit though. But I met a dude at my uni the other day who told me he loves DG, and after talking for a while found out this guy only knows guillotine, get got, I've seen footage, hustle bones, and others from albums I can't remember. Guy literally only listens to the singles and occasionally another track by them. I thought people who enjoyed DG at least have the attention span to listen to an entire album.
>>
>>50982061
>stop trying to feel superior
>mention there are many groups comparable to DG
>you name drop/"I was into it before they were big"
Sounds like someone is projecting.
>>
ITT: Bigotry
>>
>>50981474
>sing
>>
>>50981626
this
>>
>>50982191
That's not projecting, that's sidestepping.
>>
File: image.jpg (110KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110KB, 750x750px
Bump
>>
>>50981491
>MC Ride is a 10 year veteran pizza boy art school dropout

That's depressing.
>>
>>50983908
Why? Chances are you have no skills and will spend a large portion of your life at a dead end job, this should give you hope
>>
fuck, Stockton is sooooo bad
>>
>>50980575
> The Primal Identity of Mankind
> The Loss of Identity
> The Betrayal of one's Identity
> The Separation from one's Identity as a Coping Mechanism
>Outward Identity and Conclusion
>>
File: 1385158358970.png (165KB, 361x344px) Image search: [Google]
1385158358970.png
165KB, 361x344px
Way to miss the point by a mile and project your own stances onto it.
>that whole last paragraph
>>
File: image.jpg (33KB, 554x369px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33KB, 554x369px
>>50980575
>>
>>50981627
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.