[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can anyone recommend me some jazz that's just absolutely

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9

File: Flying-Lotus-Youre-Deadd.jpg (383KB, 620x620px) Image search: [Google]
Flying-Lotus-Youre-Deadd.jpg
383KB, 620x620px
Can anyone recommend me some jazz that's just absolutely bonkers (sort of like pic related)?

My only experience with jazz is a few John Coltrane albums, although they really didn't have much of a wild tone.
>>
>comparing FLyLo to Coltrane

End yourself
>>
>>50407403
Considering how the two are related, comparisons are probably going to happen a lot.
>>
lissen to sun ra
>>
Tipographica
Cecil Taylor
AMM
>>
>>50407433
>hip hop with a jazz sound
>related to one of the most important bebop and hard bop musicians ever

End yourself
>>
File: ascension.jpg (86KB, 496x500px) Image search: [Google]
ascension.jpg
86KB, 496x500px
I know what you mean, Coltrane is so middle-of-the-road formulaic shit.
>>
>>50407489
stop being a fucking asshole man. OP is just saying his only jazz experience is coltrane, and is saying coltrane and flylo are way different
>>
>>50407369

someone made me this list a while ago... i've as of yet only listened to Nefertiti and Bitches Brew.

- late 60s to 70s Miles Davis (Nefertiti, Filles de Kilimanjaro, Bitches Brew, A Tribute to Jack Johnson, On the Corner, Big Fun)
- fusion Herbie Hancock (Mwandishi, Crossings, Sextant)
- Tony Williams (Life Time, Emergency!)
>>
File: machine gun.jpg (31KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
machine gun.jpg
31KB, 500x500px
>>50407369
pic related is the craziest album i ever heard
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF5JFJjqVCQ
>>
>>50407403
>flylo actually samples coltrane family member on cosmogramma
>>
>>50407489
they're fucking related and they both do jazz fusion

smd
>>
the clipping on dead man tetris is fucking off the charts holy hell flylo

not a fan of rap in my instrumental hip hop / wonky either

I fuck wit the jazz and turtles tho
>>
>>50407489
"He is the great-nephew of the late jazz pianist Alice Coltrane, and her husband saxophonist John Coltrane."
>>
>>50408111
>they both do jazz fusion
Oh my god, why is /mu/ so bad when it comes to jazz
>>
>>50408646
all you've done is bitch. either contribute an actual thought or shut the fuck up, you massive baby. jesus christ did you forget to drink your almond milk today or something? why are so many weak ass niggas browsing /mu/ now?
>>
File: cover.jpg (1MB, 1497x1526px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
1MB, 1497x1526px
its not as wonky or jazz fusiony but Vtgnike is worth checking out
>>
File: 1293512026545.jpg (4KB, 116x117px) Image search: [Google]
1293512026545.jpg
4KB, 116x117px
>>50407369 (OP)
>those snare ghost notes on Eyes Above around the 00:48 mark

If anyone can recommend more jazz tracks with that kind of drumming, that would be amazing
>>
>>50407369
What Coltrane have you heard?
This ones pretty wild
>>50407496
>>
File: Bitchesbrew.jpg (734KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Bitchesbrew.jpg
734KB, 1000x1000px
>>50407369
this is what you're looking for OP
>>
File: 51KxGoqiEML._SY300_.jpg (21KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
51KxGoqiEML._SY300_.jpg
21KB, 300x300px
>>50407496
Yea would never describe Coltrane as "wild" or "noisy" or "totally off the wall" /s

but seriously listen to these albums op
>>50407369
>>
Ornette Coleman

Or if you fancy something REALLY bonkers you might want to look into Peter Brötzmann's work
>>
>>50407489
>john coltrane is one the most important bebop musicians ever
wrong
>>
>>50407369
Look no further.
>>
>>50409829
This album is just loud for the sake of being loud. That's not a good thing
>>
>>50409847
I disagree, it's good man
>>
>>50409860
It has some good songs but most of the short skits are simply unlistenable. And all the parts where they intentionally switch genres sounds super gimmicky.
>>
>>50409931
I can see that, fair enough, I kinda enjoy it for that novelty though
>>
>>50409622

I listened to Bitches Brew before and didn't understand it. Then I listened to You're Dead and it changed the way I thought about jazz. Then I went back and listened to Bitches Brew again and it blew my mind. It might be a pleb thing to say but You're Dead got me into jazz.
>>
>>50407489
your typical jazz fan, everyone.
>>
>>50410141
>It might be a pleb thing to say but You're Dead got me into jazz.

I think its good there's such an album that can make that happen. I had to revisit Bitches Brew a couple of times over a long time because it wouldn't click with me, but once it did I was completely blown away.
>>
Ornette Coleman - Free Jazz

its amazing. listen to it stoned if you're into that sort of thing
>>
>>50410151
>judging an entire fan base that exists for decades because of something a retard in a chinese website said
>>
>>50410311
>typical /mu/tard
>>
>>50410141
Bitches Brew is an awful album to get into if you're not really familiar with jazz.
>>
>>50407832
MAH NIGGA
>>
>>50408093
Auntie's Harp samples Alice Coltrane, his aunt. It's actually pretty cool
>>
>>50408147
>not a fan of rap in my instrumental hip hop
Oh, yeah? Dumb idiot, if there's rap in the instrumental hip hop, it's just hip hop.

So you're not a fan of hip hop.
>>
>>50408646
you're such a fucking pretentious cunt.
>>
>>50407369
bitches brew bitches brew bitches brew. favorite album, will drain you of all emotion plus add some anxiety. BITCHES BREW BY MILES DAVIS
>>
>>50410875
ALSO SUN RA

THESE WERE PROBABLY ALREADY POSTED IM JUST EXCITED FOR SOME REASON
>>
>>50410141
It's not a pleb thing. Flylo said You're Dead was originally going to be a huge 30 track fast-paced completely bonkers jazz album. So a lot of songs on You're Dead are still pieces of that idea
>>
>>50407496
I agree with this, but it doesnt make it any less brilliant. simplistic and fantastic.
>>
File: Alice-Coltrane.jpg (63KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Alice-Coltrane.jpg
63KB, 600x600px
>>50410923
he was being sarcastic...

>>50410894
great choice, sun ra always nails that "out there" feeling, especially on something like space is the place or atlantis

also pic related for literally Flylo related insanity
>>
>>50410988
still true, coltrane is completely entry level middle of the road jazz
>>
>>50411059
what do you mean by "middle of the road"
>>
>>50411084
simple
>>
>>50411099
>>50411059
>coltrane
>middle of the road
>simple
the dude was instrumental in developing free jazz, how is that in any way simple or middle of the road? half of coltrane's material, or more than that, is not entry level whatsoever. I feel as though internet message boards make his music seem more accessible, but ascension and on is not remotely for new listeners to jazz. I would somewhat understand blue train, work on KoB, favorite things, giant steps, and ole, but I'd probably show someone louis armstrong and charlie parker first
>>
>>50411099
what makes coltrane simple?
>>
>>50411179
louis is swing, bra

show me complex Coltrane, a love supreme is beautiful and deserves all of its praise but im not sure i see the complexity as i would in a bitches brew
>>
>>50411179
Nah, people who are new to jazz don't usually understand the genius of louie and charlie. i know i didn't. The best stuff to show someone who wants to get into jazz is probably the albums you listed, some jazz messengers, miles davis 1st and 2nd quintet, and probably The bill evans trio albums with Scott LaFaro.
>>
>>50411284
I meant as an introduction to jazz generally, to show development while still being engaging. Agreed about ALS, not particularly complex but also certainly not simple in the grand scheme of things. however later work like Meditations, Interstellar Space, and live stuff like VV Again and Olatunji are extremely complex and chaotic. are you interested in free jazz generally, or moreso in fusion a la BB?

>>50411291
Is this really true? Kinda makes me sad, but maybe my experience is that those two work well for students learning soloing, but for people generally you might be right. Maybe some Brubeck or early mingus/mid career ellington too?
>>
>>50411377
Brubeck, early mingus and mid career ellington would definitely work too. And i'm sure that there's a lot more artists and albums that are a good introduction for people who want to get into jazz.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.