[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is The Beatles really not ""the greatest or most significant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8

File: Piero.jpg (7KB, 209x204px) Image search: [Google]
Piero.jpg
7KB, 209x204px
Is The Beatles really not ""the greatest or most significant or most influential" band? I was trying to think of another rock band that are the most of any of those and could only come up with the Beatles.
>>
>>50122268
they obviously are. anyone who says otherwise is an 2cool4school epic patrician
>>
>>50122268
influential? no. significant? yes.
>>
>>50122322
This
>>
velvet underground influenced the progression of rock music more than the beatles ever did

really the beatles are just a time capsule of pop rock that some groups like to emulate, running in place
>>
>>50122268
yeah they were objectively the greatest (as in biggest) most significant most influential rock band ever

scaruffi is probably just mad that it couldn't be a band he likes
>>
>>50122357
>objectively
>most significant

yes

>most influential

no
>>
>>
>>50122340
>scaruffi says velvet underground are the greatest rock band of all times
>only likes two of their albums
that's not how it works, piero
>>
>>50122365
can't be helped that so many bands cite the Beatles as an inspiration while knowing very little of those who influenced the Beatles.
>>
Scaruffi says The Beatles aren't the best selling artist of all time. Then who is?
>>
>>50122649
they are
still don't understand the (not true by the way). I guess that's why it's a mame
>>
Greatest is completely subjective depending on the person listening to the music, so no. However, few bands have had as much influence as the Beatles.
>>
>>50122649
michael jackson :^}
>>
>>50122375
why the fuck not?
>>
>>50122649
>>
There are so many innovations that the Beatles are responsible for that a person who doesn't understand musical language can't grasp. So people like Scaruffi who just love being contrarian, can't actually speak to how the Beatles' actually revolutionized chord progressions, harmony within songs, song structures, etc. in the same way that Mozart and Bach did before them.
>>
people attribute a lot of stuff to the beatles (the rise of "album-oriented" rock, experimentation in pop music, etc) that i don't think should necessarily be attributed to them, but it's hard to deny that they were huge
>>
>>50122375
yeah, it bugs me how much he puts down the 3rd album. i feel like if they just made a WL/WH 2, they would lose their sense of experimentation. the s/t was a complete departure from anything they ever did and it was still fucking great
>>
>>50122322
Seriously, this. You can debate all day whether or not they're "great" if you want, but there's no denying that the changed the very foundations of the music industry.

The Beatles were the first massively popular band to say, at the height of their popularity, "Fuck it, we don't want to do this anymore" and change things up. Were there other musicians who underwent transitions during their careers? Of course, but none on the scale of The Beatles. They could have spent the rest of their lives wearing matching suits and moptops, singing "I wanna hold your hand" to the same crowd for the rest of their lives, but they decided not to and pushed off into new territory. In doing so, they paved the way for future artists to have the freedom to experiment with their sound and style without being restricted by the record labels.
>>
>>50122835
well said. elitists will ever admit to this.
>>
> "No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worth of being saved."
>Calls Abbey Road a masterpiece
>>
>>50122869
"a masterpiece of production"

still a 7/10, get REKT kiddo
>>
>>50124153
And it is, above all, a masterpiece of production, of sound, of sonic puzzles.
>>
File: yung lean.png (129KB, 501x334px) Image search: [Google]
yung lean.png
129KB, 501x334px
>>50122268

Nope.
>>
>>50124182
still only a 7/10 bruh
>>
>>50122730
When do you go on school holidays?
>>
File: 99%25animeshit.jpg (68KB, 416x316px) Image search: [Google]
99%25animeshit.jpg
68KB, 416x316px
>>50124215
>>
How about Black Sabbath?
>>
Beatles = GOAT
>>
File: 1386519998668.png (116KB, 800x388px) Image search: [Google]
1386519998668.png
116KB, 800x388px
>mfw try so hard to dislike the beatles
>mfw go as far as to try liking beach boys better
>tfw can't hold this charade much longer, beatles really are the best band ever
>>
>>50122366
have you heard significant other? or are you just droning on what /mu/ tells you to dislike??
>>
ITT: people who have only read the first epic meem paragraph of scaruffi's longass text.
>>
>>50122366
I still prefer Three dollar bill yall$
>>
>>50127362
this is the stupidest shit I've read in my 24 years of life.
>>
scaruffis just butthurt cos john lennons son fucked his daughter
>>
File: scaruffi.jpg (10KB, 285x267px) Image search: [Google]
scaruffi.jpg
10KB, 285x267px
>>50127362
good god, I hope you're trolling
if not, kill yourself
>>
>>50127362
why would you try to dislike something? that's retarded
>>
>>50122375
sure it is. even though i like all 4 of their albums, they were greater with two than most bands are with their entire catalog.
>>
>>50122835

So because the Beatles stopped touring, they paved the way for future artists to experiment with their sound?

Sorry, but the only way they did that was by experimenting with their sound, not by dropping out of performing gigs.

Also, they didn't stop performing because they wanted to experiment. They did it because they were attacked by their fans, and it put their lives in danger every time they played a show.
>>
>>50128081
I'm pretty sure that's what he meant.
>>
>>50122322
What about TVU?
Not trying to be "patrishun" btw. And what's wrong with disagreeing with you?
>>
>>50128264
They haven't had as far-reaching an influence.
>>
>>50122268
I personally wouldn't call them the greatest, but Scaruffi was just being a contrarian butt when he said that they weren't significant or influential in the history of rock.
>>
I don't get why he lists Neil Young above Bob Dylan as one of the most influential artists.
>>
>>50128276
Having an influence on almost every rock sub-genre from the 70s and onwards isn't far reaching?
>>
>>50128302
They haven't had AS far-reaching an influence. I wasn't saying they weren't influential.
>>
>>50128326
Their influence is undeniable, but they were even more far-reaching than The Beatles.
>>
>>50127657
To be one of the cool kids, of course!
>>
>>50128366
Disliking something won't make you look cool.
>>
The greatest, most significant, and most influential rock band of all time is without a doubt Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band. There are absolutely no Post-African repetitions in the entire discography and Don Van Vliet pioneered the one true artistic method of keeping all your bandmates financially imprisoned, drugged, and mentally tortured.
>>
>>50128400
Not according to /mu/
>>
>>50128432
Yes, according to /mu/ too.
You will always get more hate than praise when disliking something.
>>
>>50128454
How else would you explain all the contrarian fags here?
>>
>>50128475
Maybe they are not contrarians?
You are still getting more hate than praise though.
>>
>>50128400
>>50128454
>>50128495
no /mu/ readily encourages hating things that are popular
>>
>>50128510
So? Most people on /mu/ will hate your for that anyways.
/mu/ is not a single person.
>>
>>50122268
The Animals
>>
>>50128543
haha. ha. ha.
>>
File: 1346421234.jpg (34KB, 466x313px) Image search: [Google]
1346421234.jpg
34KB, 466x313px
>>50128400
>>
>>50129027
>:c
>>
>>50128351
Everyone knows the Beatles. Only a few people know the Velvet Underground. The Beatles produced five albums of both immediate popularity and extreme influence (Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, the White Album, Abbey Road), while the Velvet Underground produced one and it wasn't even recognized as the legend it is until about a decade later.
I'm not sure what you mean by "far-reaching". The structure and format of the vast majority of music produced today was written the way it was due to the Beatles' popularization of that structure and format.
>>
>>50129123
Forgot to mention, when I say a "few" people know the VU, I mean comparatively few. Of course anyone with more than a nodding acquaintance with rock music will know them, but these days fewer and fewer people know anything to do with music history. Most kids recognize the picture of four Brits crossing a street, but not the picture of a banana.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.