[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's /mu/'s opinion on HIM? How did you find HIM?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 142
Thread images: 14

File: Heartagram.gif (18KB, 250x225px) Image search: [Google]
Heartagram.gif
18KB, 250x225px
What's /mu/'s opinion on HIM?
How did you find HIM?
>Bam Margera
>CKY
>>
They're a pretty underrated band I think. They have a gothy image that people like to write off but they've actually made some pretty solid albums. Fuck that faggot Bam for appropriating their logo. He's such a skidmark.
>>
Him's an underrated band that got overshadowed by bam, same thing with cky..I grew up with both bands and saw cKy 16 times..I wish they'd settle the bullshit and make some more music again..carver city was fucking awesome.
>>
Terrible, bland band for mallgoths. Basically, everything what has been wrong with goth in the 20 years
>>
>>49834937
>They're a pretty underrated band I think. They have a gothy image that people like to write off but they've actually made some pretty solid albums.

this. love metal, deep shadows and brilliant highlights,greatest love songs vol. 666, and dark light are great albums..the video for "wings of a butterfly" got some play here in the US for a while..I should go see them again before they call it quits.
>>
>>49834937
>implying Bam doesn't make GOAT music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vj9V_pX8yw
>>
>>49833750
Mainstream band with a lead vocalist that makes great husbando material.
>>
>>49835031
yeah, lets forget about that...he was apparently really bad on drugs when he did the whole fuck face unstoppable thing.
>>
>>49835008
and the video for "killing lonliness" too, forgot.
>>
I liked everything up until Screamworks. It's a decent album, but not really as good as their earlier shit.
Tears on Tape is alright, though.
>Venus Doom is best album
>>49835136
>did
He just started another FFU US tour.
>>
>>49835031
wow
>>
>>49835191
had no idea, I know he pissed the guys of cKy off for booking ffu show's as cky shows..people were expecting some motherfukin' cky and get some shitty cover band..shame cause bam actually made some of the music for the skits in the cky videos, and it isnt bad.
>>
File: 1356906301070.gif (705KB, 200x199px) Image search: [Google]
1356906301070.gif
705KB, 200x199px
>>49835136
Yeah, but Fuckface aside, CKY/Gnarkill made some really fucking funny shit.

>mfw listening to Skeletor vs Beastman for the first time in years
>>
>>49834989
This. I knew this neckbeard kid who was into them in HS and he acted like he was so deep and dark because he liked shitty metal and HIM. It's for faggots who think Nightmare before Christmas is one of the greatest films of all time.
>>
>>49835191
I havent listened to screamworks yet, I was told it was pretty much a dadrock album(even though HIM can be legitimately called dadrock now) and had no interest in it..how bad is it on a scale of 1-10?
>>
>>49835278
It's not bad, but it isn't as good as, say, Love Metal or Razorblade Romance.
I'd give it a 6/10.
>>
>>49835264
I think Bam actually released bootlegs of Gnarkill III, actually.
http://www.bammargera.bigcartel.com/product/4-cd-deal
>>
>>49835267
yeah I know what you mean, when in highschool all the freshmans were into them..heartagrams all over the place to the point where I got sick of ther fat ass "goth" poser fans.
>>
File: Ville.jpg (21KB, 359x492px) Image search: [Google]
Ville.jpg
21KB, 359x492px
>>49835098
Facial hair pushes Ville into super husbando territory.
>>
>>49834937
>>49834974
>>49835098
>>
>>49835191
>>49835278
>>49835297

Screamworks fanatic here, literally I listen to that album as much as I can and have for the past five years.

Without comparison it is the most concrete album of theirs and I recommend it to people who like A-ha and poppy music.

But if I had to rearrange them:

1.Screamworks
2. Love Metal
3. Greatest Love songs 666
4. Razorblade Romance
5. Venus Doom
6. Dark Light
7. Tears on Tape

Literally Tears on Tape is a piece of shit, please do not expose your ears to the worst album that HIM has ever produced. Pig shit disgusting.
>>
They've got a couple solid albums, like Greatest Lovesongs Vol. 666 and Razorblade Romance. They could improve lyrically, but they're not bad. I think their fans turn a lot of people off.
>>
>>49835874
It's exactly their fans that turn a lot of people off.
>>
>>49833750
I fuckin' love em, but seriously Ville Valo's lyrics become tiring as you progress through their discography and once you listen to them at least four times you can distinctly tell what is filler and what is not.

And Ohhh boy once you discover what the filler sounds like, you get angry about how much of it there is.
>>
>>49835822
i'm re-listening to dark light because of this thread, i'll check out screamworks next..
>>
>>49835874
I think Valo and his fans are suffering from some sort of delusion that they've come out of roman myth....
>>
>>49835945
what in the hell are you talking about?
>>
File: photo.jpg (131KB, 900x894px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
131KB, 900x894px
>>49835278
>>49835929

Here ya go:

https://mega.co.nz/#!u98DSKTQ!zHTsy2du74b32MFq7cs55qQO3z9sYagIo5TMqg12dJE
>>
>>49836024
They carry this self-importance that is completely unnecessary and talk like they've come out of the past.
>>
File: tumblr_lx7a5lmEQC1r0fnn1o1_500.jpg (38KB, 500x581px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lx7a5lmEQC1r0fnn1o1_500.jpg
38KB, 500x581px
>>49833750
Their first album and their demos are god-tier goth metal. I mean, just listen to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-b3jpOQnqI

And i have very good memories of listening to Venus Doom while i was high as fuck. Definetly an underrated band with a shit fanbase.
>>
>>49835822
Wow, Screamworks is fucking terrible, go kill yourself. The HIM I knew died after releasing love metal. It's a shame that Ville Valo's voice just won't be the same because of all the cigs he smoked, but idk, HIM has a special place in my heart. Fuck the haters. Oh, and they've got some reissues coming up with a bunch of bonus tracks, I'm really excited to hear them. Probably the last time I'll ever care for something the band has released :((((((((.
>>
>>49835278
What? Not dadrock at all, its actually their most poppier and happy album. Like, the complete opposite of Venus Doom.
>>
>>49836057
I've never met a fan that talks like that, only like a 13 year old girl..like everyone has said, underrated band due to the shitty fan base.
>>
>>49836105
Yeah, this shit is so so good. I don't get when people say HIM is pussy metal, the early stuff is almost as hard sounding as Black Sabbath.
>>
File: SadVille.jpg (104KB, 638x928px) Image search: [Google]
SadVille.jpg
104KB, 638x928px
>>49836140
Don´t be so bitter anon, you make Ville sad.
>>
>>49836105
The Heartless is a great track. One of their best, in my opinion.
>>
>>49836148
dude, they've been around since 98' it's dad rock..their og listeners now are in their mid-twenties to early 30's. its dad rock.
>>
>>49836197
Well I'm sad right now. HIM honestly was my favorite band in high school and it sucks knowing that they'll never be as good as they were during the 1998-2004 years.
>>
Ville should just pursue a solo carrer making panty wetting crooning acoustic tunes. It´s 2014 and nobody cares about hard rock anymore except for south americans and europeans
>>
>>49836219
CANT YOU SEE HES THE HEARTLESS? YOUR PAIN IS NOT LOVE, HES TAKEN IT TOO FAR AND YOU KNOW IT IS WRONG
>>
>>49836233
Well, you should spend a little less time on the internet dood
>>
>>49836140
Wow you must still be like twelve years old then? Because I can hear the cries of childhood butthurt from my computer screen. Bands evolve faggot.

HIM had a really fucking ugly schtick they carried until they got mainstream. And thank god for mainstream because they were really fucking cheesy with their poser vampire goth phase.

Oh boo hoo, my favorite band evolved into something more mainstream which benefits them more in the end because they can afford to experiment.

Screamworks was a fucking masterpiece for this band, all their faggot fans refuse to acknowledge it because its an emotion they're unfamiliar with because no one ever cared for them.
>>
>>49836297
You're absolutely retarded. Literally no one would agree with that opinion, not even Ville. he fucking hates that album.
>>
>>49836297
You are forgetting that when him started, that kind of mallgoth music was pretty fucking mainstream. And they are from Finland, everyone listens to metal there
>>
>>49836297
And it's nothing about the band being mainstream. the quality of the music dropped after Love Metal. Anyone with ears can tell you that. Releasing newer shittier albums doesn't mean evolution.
>>
>>49836170
Yeah I love their earlier stuff. This is one of my favourites. It's pretty doomy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3psIDLyVFk

But I can see why people would think they are "pussy metal" with some of their newer albums which aren't as heavy.
>>
>>49833750
I prefer the 69 eyes
>>
>>49836327
Valo was shamed into disliking it, he was pretty proud of it when it was released. Their PR was spot on with promoting the album on popular television and radio play.

He wrote it for a mexican bin of plastic and sharpie tattoos, and is probably ashamed of that aspect of it too.

Definitely Valo was pressured into never playing it, the press, and all of their old-time fans could not stand its accessibility and its lighter edge and probably would let Valo die of alcohol poisoning if it meant a dark deep gothic album.

>>49836333
I always assumed Finnish metal was way more manly then the genre of love metal.
>>
>>49836378
The thing is, they are a pretty popular band in finland.
I think one should see them as just pop rock, kinda like The Rasmus for example, or (lel) Tokio Hotel
>>
>>49836415
Sure, sonata artica is really manly
>>
>>49836445
Woah, i used to know a guy who listened to all the bands that are being mentioned here. He frequented this japanese forums too. Are you here, little angel?
>>
>>49836365
I always assumed once Warner got them, they were forced to change their sound because the label wanted to market it to a larger fanbase.

I don't think the quality changed, I think they just decided to take a turn with their sound. It was definitely darker, and was marketed towards teenage boys and young-adult men but eventually was pushed towards young girls because HIM got so many groupies.

I think its pretty easy to tell where their efforts are being placed within albums. Wherever there is a hit it definitely sounds different in comparison to filler.
>>
>>49836378
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3psIDLyVFk
early HIM is fucking awesome.
>>
>>49836415
No, he wasn't. He literally didn't care for it, after 5 weeks when it wasn't selling as much as he thought he would, he gave up hope on it. Screamworks was Ville thinking he could make it big in the US and failing miserably. He even got the producer for all of The Used's stuff to make the sound for him, that's why the end result sounds so fucking bland and uninspired. You're literally the only person I've ever met who'd rate Screamworks on the top of HIM's discography, that's insane. I'm willing to bet that was the first album you listened to when you set your eyes on it at your local hot topic, fgt.
>>
>>49836491
Ville tried to go into full mainstream mode with Dark Light. I think he didnt quite archieved what he was hoping for, and that led him to depression and drug abuse, hence the "darkness" of Venus Doom.
>>
>>49836523
Not the guy you are responding too, buy you have to admit Screamworks lyrics are fucking full of god tier literaly references. For a pop rock band, that is
>>
>>49836468
I meant in the vein of bands like Children of Bodom...
>>
>>49836528
No no no no, that was a big success, it was when HIM made it big in the United States. Look up the sales for that album. Venus Doom and everything after is a disappointment, sale's wise, for Ville. He's been bitching about music piracy since 2007 now, not realizing that the reason that people aren't buying the albums is because the music fucking sucks now.
>>
>>49836585
Maybe he just need to get away from the HIM stuff, and do i dont know..stoner black metal? Some shit like that, their guitarrist had some cool side project.
>>
>>49836565
Well, there is a fuckton of variety in finnish bands, but i see what you mean.
>>
never listened to much of them, i do know their cover of chris isaac's "wicked game" is almost better than the original.
>>
>>49836629
daniel lioneye it was called.
>>
>>49836523
Okay so all that PR, and interviews about him praising the lyrics and the artistry of the album don't count as him caring about it?

He had a video of a track by track about it goddamn

That album was his favorite thing until the reviews came back.

And he stopped caring about it when KVD rejected his advances.

It was him trying to make a decent album and put way too much concentration on one outcome of its creation, and it ending badly. So all of it ended badly.

Also i'm speaking as someone who listened to Razorblade Romance as their first album and worked their way upwards.

>>49836528
He is way too proud of that gold record. Honestly, he should just produce music Finnish people would like and keep his success there.

>>49836555
Screamworks is god-tier lyrically. That is one of the huge reasons I regard it as one of their best. Because their worst albums are exhausting lyrically. I don't want to hear "baby" every three lines.

>>49836585
They keep disappointing their fans expectations, they go doomy with Venus Doom, then poppy with SW, then mediocre as fuck with ToT
They have little trust for them.
>>
File: VillieValo_header.gif (156KB, 625x682px) Image search: [Google]
VillieValo_header.gif
156KB, 625x682px
He looked his best here
>>
>>49836823
I've met him before, really nice guy. his accent is hard to understand at times.
>>
>>49836735
Well man, fans of Love Metal hated Dark Light when it came out, fans of DL hated VN...you get the idea.

Also, judging by the way teens nowadays regard mallcore from late 90s as true music, its only a matter of time till Razorblade Romance is considered a masterpiece or something like that.
>>
File: img-thing.jpg (21KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
img-thing.jpg
21KB, 300x300px
>>49836846
I want to meet him but I've never had an opportunity. I hope he doesn't die before I get to say hello to his face.
>>
>>49836823
I prefere him in his sexy jack sparrow 06 look
>>
>>49833750
>tfw no one talks about Razorblade Romance
>>
When Love and Death Embrace is my JAM.
>>
>>49836850
Razorblade Romance was a good debut but I still feel like it could have been tightened and had a couple of songs cut from it.

But yeah I agree, they manage to get one type of fanbase and then lose that same fanbase after the first single off the next album drops.
>>
>>49836846
Yeah I'd like to meet them. I have yet to see them live. They were my favourite band for a long time.
>>
>>49836925
It's hers too
>>
>>49836735
Ville's out of touch with the fans. He had a chance to release a demos/rarities compilation two years ago but thought it was a better idea to release a singles collection that no one wanted.

And Ville cares about the album to the extent that it sells, not to the point where he really feels much for the music he made. Every interview I watch with Ville lately is always focusing on the album sales, it's sad really.
>>
>>49836932

They never play afternoon festivals or day festivals, I live in a sort of isolated area and the venues are at least four or five hours away. Sure I could make the trip but gas money and staying in the city is not worth it.
>>
>>49836964
But then there's Ultra Rare Trax vol. 1.
>>
>>49837015
lol Ah yes, HIM bootlegs, I have my fair share of those.
>>
>>49836932
I saw them live opening up for cky, they were fucking awesome and loud...ville said "there's a band coming up next, they're 4 very sexy guys from philly"(talking about cKy who was headlining)..and the crowd went NUTS..this was on the viva la bands tour years back..good times, good memories.
>>
>>49836949
Lorde?
>>
>>49836964

Well thats your opinion, he is definitely out of touch with fans but he is making music based on what he listens to musically.

He doesn't discuss money matters as much as he did during the SW release because he was sober and was a control freak but I prefer that to his black sabbath cocksucking personality.

It doesn't sound like you've watched any of the interviews during the tour though, he is exhausted but proud of that shitty TOT.
>>
File: jOI0ATdAkY-vi.jpg (53KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
jOI0ATdAkY-vi.jpg
53KB, 604x453px
>>49837134
It is his most devoted, Chanel guzzling, "i'm a modelllll" common law-wife.

You'd think Valo would get a woman that wouldn't publicly announce that he was bad in bed.
>>
>>49837156
>black Sabbath cocksucking personality
He's still a black Sabbath cocksucker. TOT is supposed to be HIM trying to bring back the Black Sabbath vibe they had on the first couple albums. About that.....

And TOT sounds sonically better then Screamworks, come on now. At least, it's an attempt, rather then HIM selling out mercilessly ala Screamworks.
>>
>>49833750
in 5 years of browsing /mu/ this is only the 2nd HIM thread i've ever seen

and coincendetally i was relistening to some of their albums for the first time in a few years last week
>>
>>49837266
lol I'm surprised how the band hasn't been ridiculed. I'd expect /mu to shit all over this band.
>>
>>49833750
I first picked up Razorblade Romance because of the Bam Margera sticker on it. I wasn't amazed by it at first. However, I grew to really love their stuff, especially Greatest Lovesongs. I'm going through a period of post-breakup depression, so HIM helps me out alot
>>
Screamworks is a good, catchy, dark pop-rock album. Y'all bitches can't handle change.
>>
>>49837297
I'm OP and I was expecting that, too.
>>49837299
I found Razorblade Romance through his CKY DVDs, that I still watch today.
>>
>>49837297
they've been called teenage girl core on here before
>>
How is Screamworks any different from Razorblade Romance? Really? Some of you are straight up delusional.
>>
Anyone remember that Viva la Bam episode where they go to Europe to find Raab's Russian wife that he found on the internet?

And they hang out with the 69 Eyes?
>>
>>49837389
Yeah, then they go to Ruisrock?
>>
>>49837264
TOT is awful, All Lips go Blue is awful, Love Without Tears is a pitiful joke and embarrassing for Valo, Hearts at War was the worst one; I almost set my copy of the cd on fire, I don't understand how much disgusting filler and slurring could be allowed.

Valo's emotions are so mixed the entire album and not in a good way, he decides to be a crooning SW romantic at one point, and then becomes bat-shit pig shit disgusting pre-venus doom drunkard.

Screamworks was great sonically, it had great progression with a great opener and ended in a very soft way. It was a detailed album and was put together very well.

TOT is HIM having three minutes left on their test in class and putting down any answer that sounds plausible.
>>
>>49837383
Ville's voice sounds shitty on Screamworks.
>>
>>49837383
Are you kidding
Razorblade Romance = Glam as fuck
Screamworks = Poprock as fuck
>>
>>49837397
Yeah.
>>
I listened to their song Venus Doom years ago and can't stop thinking about it. Never explored the rest of their discographt
>>
>>49837383
Screamworks has a more produced clean cut sound, Razorblade Romance has a little bit more experimentation.
>>
>>49837407
It sounds just like it always has. Placebo effect BRUH BRUH
>>
>>49837400
Lol at the metaphor at the end. If TOT is HIM having three minutes left on their test in class and putting down shitty answers, then Screamworks is HIM copying down the answers from a kid in class who has no idea what he's doing.

It's bland Americanized pop-rock with clean production that makes me want to gag. Ville fired a producer during Dark Light for making it sound too Americanized but he decided that it'd be a great idea for Screamworks. The best thing to come off Screamworks is the last song, which is a pure accident. and doesn't sound like it even belongs on it.
>>
I kinda miss their early romantic goth posturing, but I guess they had to grow out of it sometime.
>>
>>49837522
>HIM copying down the answers from a kid in class who has no idea what he's doing

More like they copied off the kid who was so out of it he gave the correct answers for a different test.

TOT was so underwhelming I don't understand how you can enjoy it more than Screamworks. Clean production isn't necessarily a bad thing, I think SW was showing how sober Ville is in the studio.

The last song off SW was great, I think the album progressed to it perfectly...
>>
Saw this thread and decided to listen to Dark Light again, since that was the album that exposed me to HIM.

I completely forgot how much Wings of a Butterfly was my fucking jam back when this album came out.

Ah, what it was like to be in 8th grade.
>>
>>49837400
Well, i like it man. Shame on you for being so negative about art.
>>
>>49837678
>Going from pop-rock to techno
Yeah, the progression is just perfect.

I'll agree that SW shows how sober Ville is in the studio in that he's lost the ability to make music since sobering up. It's no coincidence that ever since he stopped drinking his music has sucked. He started drinking after TOT came out, probably because he realized that it didn't sell 1000000 copies like he thought it would.

Only problem with TOT is it's just too damn short for the amount of time HIM had to make it.
>>
metalcore garbage
>>
>>49837771
>metalcore
People still use that term in fucking 2014. Oh my kek.
>>
>>49837767
>Started drinking after TOT came out

Pig shit disgusting thing to say he was drunk out of his mind during TOT and you can hear his slurring, even if the studio attempted to cover it up.
In the vid where they announced their south america tour they were still recording TOT and he was disgusting with the hobo beard he was drinking during then as well.
He has been drinking since his girlfriend came into the picture. Which was well before TOT happened.

Valo makes good decisions when he is sober, he performs live well because he cares about the people spending money on him, but when he did Helldone 2013 he ruined the show and fell off the stage and cussed fans out.

He hasn't lost his ability to write music, sobriety in studio let him attempt different things with his confidence. TOT was music made because he couldn't stand the thought of HIM's oldie fans lashing out at them again. Which was fucked up because bands change. They experiment.

Yes he wanted american success yes that is where the direction of SW went, but it was an album that I still think is way more listenable to in comparison to some of the garbage they have put out.

Shame on HIM for trying to make some money.

TOT is the worst album they've put out, they didn't even try to go back to their roots completely they just went into the studio and made fillers. Valo knows what fans like, he does. And he did the opposite during SW because he didn't care about what they thought
>>
>>49837936
Drink a beer and fuck off with your shit opinions m8
>>
>>49838031
i've been around the HIM fanbase more than i'd like to believe, my opinions offer sources for some of the statements i've made.
>>
>>49837936
Helldone 2013 is one example of a fuck up. Ville was drunk all the time back in the early years and put on great shows. Ville doesn't make good decisions sober, he's more influenced by making money now then making good music.

I'll agree with the thought that Ville didn't give a shit about the fans when making SW. I can just hear the band begging to be played on the radio when I listen to it.
>>
Damn. I didn't know /mu/ had the hots for HIM. It's been a while since I've seen actual in-depth music discourse around here.
>>
File: 1409550966358.png (622KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1409550966358.png
622KB, 512x512px
>/mu/ actually appreciates HIM
>tfw
>>
GOAT H.I.M right here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvxRTs9bVoo
>>
how do you guys feel about 69 eyes?
>>
>>49838095
Helldone 2013 isn't the only example, its just the only one that had fans coverage and way more media discussing it because press back in the early 90s 2000s was controlled and people didn't have smart phones or high speed internet.

I do personally think he is just becoming a vapid uninterested greedy shell of himself. He is lucky that he has cocksuckers like Metal Hammer backing his shit up while he complains that the band isn't making money and Gas's wife is posting her latest Gucci purchase
>>
>>49835278
The acoustic cuts were actually really good. More like an 8/10.
>>
>>49835031
holy shit bam looks OLD
>>
>>49838265
Bam IS old.
>>
Damn, Screamworks is actually one of my favorite albums. Had no idea /mu/ felt like this.
>>
>>49835031
Jesus Christ, how horrifying.
>>
>>49838477
I kind of figured /mu/ felt like that, I still post because Screamworks is their best.
>>
>Bam Margera
Redneck trash trendchasing famewhore.
>>
>>49838517
Screamworks is very well written, inspires me that's for sure. Them metaphors and allusions are off the chart, Love the Hardest Way, Katherine Wheel, In the Arms of Rain, Happiness... All top tier killer jams.
>>
>>49838552
you got a last.fm?
>>
>>49838552
One thing I'll agree with is that In the Arms of Rain is a phenomenal song. I completely forgot about that one.
>>
>>49838626
>>49838626
Nope. Too lazy to make one haha. Any other way you like to make contact?
>>
I was really into them when I was 13-15, as well as The 69 Eyes, another Bam band. Great band but cheesy lyrics and image. Venus Doom was their best work, in my opinion.
>>
>>49838656
I listen to that one when I walk in the rain. Living in Seattle increases the level of great that this album has.

>>49838658
Ah that sucks, never mind then. It is absolutely nice to know that there is someone else on /mu/ that loves Screamworks though. I loved In Venere Veritas, and listened to Screamworks almost every day for three months last year. I think i'm actually a little too obsessed with it, but I find different things in it every time y'know?
Anyway you get an internet high five from me.
>>
>>49838711
No, that doesn't have to be it. I listened to Screamworks every day for the longest time, there's always something new to it, whether it be the way the guitars are layered in Disarm Me, or the popcorn machine littered throughout the album. I've never even known this album registered on /mu/'s radar before, this such a weird coincidence.
>>
>>49838758
Talk about huge coincidence, i've never met another SW fan that is this passionate about it. I actually contemplated on writing one of those 33 and a third books about it because of all the different little things you can find in it.
I mean the layered voices in the first track, the keyboard that is just incredible throughout the entire album, the cryptic lyrics.
Why is this the one that is your favorite? How come it is your favorite out of all of HIM's discography? I genuinely am curious now.
>>
>>49838826
It's my favorite for many reasons, it was the first album release I really followed up until release for one, because I was a really big HIM fan leading up to it. Secondly, the lyrics linked up with some really weird events in my life that I really thought wouldn't come up in the lyrics of music I liked. Love the Hardest Way, Like St. Valentine, Acoustic Funeral... All examples. Ville wasn't kidding when he described the album as a sonic Valentine's card. There's so many little parts to it too, like the fact that Linde was bitten by a spider and that is what gave birth to Foreboding Sense, or the little Jane Austen reference in Scared to Death... It's deep. And then the fact that Ville could take these studio versions that coalesced into one solid effort as a band, and consolidate them as a personal acoustic effort all while he had a head cold is a sure sign that this is personal. I think that's the big part of this record is how personal that it all shows through. Ville spent months holed up in his Finnish castle touching up on just the acoustic demos of this album. To me, it feels like an album that sounds so much more personal than anyone could imagine. But to most, it's just a pop rock record. Up until this thread, I had no idea any one felt otherwise.
>>
>>49839022
I wish you had a last.fm account now damn.
Did you ever feel like really weird things were happening in reality after the release of the album? Like references were showing up everywhere? Maybe hearing about St.Catherine of Alexandria or finding out about that Life magazine photo of that woman who jumped off the building into a car? When KVD admitted she was the one that it was written for, I sort of went back to her video interviews from then pre-screamw"orks especially and she'd make references to love that sounded a lot like what came out of Screamworks. I definitely saw the influence there, and I felt like Ville put a lot of detail and effort into the lyrics not for the fans but definitely for KVD. But it just made me appreciate it more because the songs had one meaning and then a completely different one the next. How can you go from "Dine on Glass, Wine on Blood" to "Of all that’s been lost now, Let them bleed,Just let them" on TOT. I was so disappointed. Screamworks was like love with a menacing edge y'know? Looking back, HIM's other albums were great sonically, but this one had this sense of play and games combined with really great loudness. Even now, I can isolate the guitar in Katherine Wheel and appreciate it by itself. I applaud albums that can make my ears do that.
>>
>>49839202
Anon, I got shivers reading your post. I'll never forget the page 43 fiasco, or Kat Von D. Look, I made a last fm account just for this.christiansen28 it is. Or just email, included in the name field. I'm actually starting to feel weird that someone else was as involved and paid as much attention to the album release as I did. Really, Seattle is not that far from where I am.
>>
>>49839202
I really want to discuss this album with you at least, and all the broken limbs St Catherine took upon that wheel.
>>
>>49839287
I sent you an email! I definitely feel the same way anon.
>>
A band with a god-tier singer and some pretty talented instrumentalists, but who write like 2/3 pretty good songs per album and then some silly repetitive shit-tier filler.

Love Metal > Razorblade Romance > Greatest Lovesongs Vol. 666 > Dark Light > Venus Doom > Screamworks > Tears on tape > every fucking album in the universe > Deep Shadows and Brilliant Highlights

Ville's both lyrics and songwriting really improved a lot ever since Love Metal. It's probably the only album of theirs I can listen all the way through and legitemately enjoy/not cringe too hard. Sadly it peaked there and went on a steady decline ever since (well at least they didn't touch the levels of shit reached at Deep Shadows yet again). Don't really get all the praise for Venus Doom.

Saw them live back in April. Amazing experience.
>>
>>49833750
I don't get Bam, I used to think he was cool when I was younger but now he just seems so sad and lonely and tries too hard to fit in
>>
>>49841333
Dude went pretty much drug insane after Dunn died.
>>
>>49838095
he still thinks it's 2003 when they were making millions due to bam making them popular over here..that whole cky crew and him are all stuck in the past. it's sad.
>>
>>49841768
yeah he's a trainwreck, along with the rest of them. it's like they're stuck in the early thousands.They have this delusion that people care as much as they did in the past. they're all washed up alcoholics and durg addicts.
>>
>>49833750
worst band ive ever seen live. didnt even put on a show. just stood still the whole time playing like shit.
>>
I like them. Nice when I'm looking to mix it up reveille now and then. They have since legit covers as well.
Thread posts: 142
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.