[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/bleeproduction/ #32

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 9

File: 91BAr9xGgxL._SL1500_[1].jpg (356KB, 1500x1249px) Image search: [Google]
91BAr9xGgxL._SL1500_[1].jpg
356KB, 1500x1249px
1 more day until da challenge is over

BLEEPCHALLENGE

>You have until saturday to produce a song. We are posting here on Saturday primarily, there are those who probably can't post until sunday but the goal was saturday.

>Also, you can't just drop your song link like a SC thread, you have to talk about what you did, what you were going for, cool things you did in the mix. Talk about what you did technically, this is a learning experience. The comments shouldn't be like "Nice" or "Cool song", you either post something constructive or don't post something at all. Either way, there are gonna be anons who read all the technical shit that you post and that's the whole reason we're doing this first anything goes challenge.
>>
Best plugin bumb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7o7UJu6Djo
>>
any idea on how to create that slappy sounding 808 bass similar in this tracks?

https://soundcloud.com/samgellaitry/snake-charmer-preview
https://soundcloud.com/samgellaitry/dlar
>>
>>48544004
Fast attack and short decay: ever underestimate the power of ADSR.
>>
Sent some demos to a bunch of labels... hopin' over here..
>>
>>48541054
So i fell over this

I'm not exactly a synth expert. All i know is that i really want something analog. I was pretty sure i'd go with the Vermona Mono Lancet until i fell over this thing: Synthlab SL-1 from Mode Machine. I've never heard about this before now.
Is it worth spending a little extra bucks to get this instead of the mono lancet? It's a 2 VCO like the lancet but seems to be packed with more features.
>>
File: 263361.jpg (27KB, 300x242px) Image search: [Google]
263361.jpg
27KB, 300x242px
>>48544631
Forgot pic

also replied to OP out of habit
>>
does anyone kno any good sites to find wav files of video game rips? like individual sound effects and actions and stuff, not music files.
>>
This is for people who don't normally produce bleepboops 24/7?
>>
Does anyone here have the MAudio Keystation 61ES? Looking for a decent sized midi controller and I don't want to spend a huge amount of money and would like to know what people think of it past just YouTube/amazon reviews. The plan is to get my hands on that and a microbrute (babbys first hardware synth) and a USB microphone, sounds like a lot of fun and could give me a lot more to experiment with.

Also, I really want that VSTi that was posted in the last thread, the Mangle. Considering it's only 20£ I figure that's worth my time and money.
>>
>>48544912
do you already have an interface? If you do then don't get a USB mic, the A/D conversion will be better in a dedicated interface than a USB mic. And you'll get better audio quality plugging the Microbrute into one than the microphone jack on your computer. Look at the Lexicon Alpha or the Alesis iO2. They're very cheap, but not bad too.
>>
>>48544745
No, we also make accordion folk schlagers

>>48544647
Did you check out some demos?
>>
>>48544912
I've got a 49 key controller, often times I find even that's too big.
Also, does the brute have audio in? If it does, get a non-USB mic (it'll be cheaper anyway)
>>
>>48545030
Yeah i did, but it's youtube demos after all.
>>
>>48545093
It's a free-for-all right now. Do whatever you want, as long at it uses synths. Keep in mind, this is the first challenge ever, we're doing this for orientation
>>
File: HUNTR13.jpg (448KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
HUNTR13.jpg
448KB, 700x700px
https://soundcloud.com/huntr33/where-you-wanna-go-huntr

latest song ive made, finished it off this morning

was reading up on chords so made a nice chord progression and tried to keep it interesting using different reverb, space, filter effects

also learnt a bit more about eq'ing and have eq'ed most elements properly

overall quite happy with the outcome, relatively simple but nice feel and good beat to it

what are your thoughts?
>>
>>48545014
>>48545070
I was thinking of getting the mic for raw audio recording purposes to throw it into The Mangle or Harmor, sorry if I made it seem like that was related to the brute.

So what would be the pros and cons of getting the USB mic for that purpose? I know nothing about the subject
>>
>tfw masters come back sounding phat at the bottom and crisp at the top
I might cry a little
>>
>>48545166
USB mics are only useful if you don't have an audio interface, they don't typically have great A/D converters because they're aimed at podcasters and stuff like that. But for granular synthesis sure use whatever it doesn't matter, it won't make a difference if you're using a U47 or an SM58 when you process it to fuck with granular synthesis.
>>
File: [[.jpg (116KB, 453x504px) Image search: [Google]
[[.jpg
116KB, 453x504px
Hey guys, I made a song for the challenge using samples from Imogen Heap's "Hide and Seek".
It'll be on my upcoming EP, I'm putting the track up on bandcamp as we speak
I was going for a glitchy yet melodic and catchy sound using tiny pieces of her voice, using a technique called microsampling. It was all chopped up and rearranged in my DAW (mixcraft 6) by hand, without the use of midi or a sampler. I used 808's and trap drum sounds but I didn't want to go full trap, however the bass is a big part of the track.
Check out the music video here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mftp2T8vwI0
Download the track here - http://arcadecity.bandcamp.com/album/fields

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks in advance. The song used in the video may differ from the track on bandcamp (I may toy around with the mix some more)

Here's the original song - www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYIAfiVGluk
>>
>>48545224
Ok, thank you. And theoretically, if I wanted to throw a live recording in from the microbrute but wanted to have it go through my midi controller, I would want an interface?
>>
>>48544042
what waveshape and how far should i filter it?
>>
>>48544004
how the fuck does sam gellaitry get his shit so fucking loud
i mean even if i mix my shit real well, to where it sounds great when you turn it way up, this guy sounds loud when my volume is at 20%
>>
>>48545401
brickwall the only answer
>>
>>48544912
get the Acorn Instruments Masterkey 49. it's 80 bucks which is the cheapest you'll get for that many keys
>>
>>48545443
yeah but that waveform is still lookin pretty dynamic, i don't see how he could brickwall it to get that extreme loudness without it turning into a rectangle
>>
>>48545468
Does the quality hold up in comparison? I'm on a budget but I don't want to go for the cheapest option if it shows
>>
>>48545497
yes, the keys feel nice although not the springiest, and the knobs work nicely. the single slider feels pretty cheap but i don't give a fuck about the slider. i love the keyboard, you should get it
>>
>>48545330
You want to record the Microbrute through the MIDI controller? Are you talking about audio or MIDI? But MIDI controllers can't receive audio or MIDI, but audio interfaces can so yes.
>>
Unless you're a classically trained pianist you won't need 61 keys
plus, Microbrute is monophonic
>>
>>48545487
It is over compressed, but it only looks dynamic because there are a lot of 'blank' parts in the structure of the song.
>>
>>48545552
Actually, 61 keys would be great even I you're not a pianist. It's just not useful if those black and white things scare you. Also, more keys make glide more fun.
>>
>>48545530
>>48545497
also the pitch knob feels nice. and the keys are the right size, none of this tiny keys like the akai mpk or that stupid portable keyboard where the keys are more like buttons than keys. forgot what it's called
anyway, get it
>>
>>48545552
I was really disappointed with the microbrute for not having a polyphony option
>>
>>48545575
#tru
so what does he just mix the song and literally put a limiter at 0db and push it way the fuck up?
>>
>>48545530
Shit. Just looked up a review, you may have changed my mind. Thank you.

>>48545532
I mean using the Microbrute through the controller, and having what I'm playing go through to the computer. I'm getting the vibe that there would be latency problems if I just go with what's given to me. But then again, like i said before, I have very little experience with hardware and I'm probably talking out of my ass and making assumptions when I shouldn't. My understanding of it is that with an audio interface I wouldn't have to worry about latency
>>
>>48545605
I guess it's only like 300 bucks
What're the cheapest polysynths anyway?
>>
>>48545692
>only 300 bucks
I mean a MIDI controller is also only 300 bucks and you can basically treat it like a polysynth anyway so
>>
I have a 2 octave Axiom MIDI key board with 8 square pads on the side of it. I want to use it to trigger samples so that use it kind of as a weird drum kit when I jam with my friends. Ideally I would drum on the pads with one hand while I can play the keys with the other.

What software should I use for this?
>>
>>48545711
Nah but the controller isn't the synth, the VST is
I meant like hardware polysnth
>>
>>48545618
yep

I wouldn't, I can't listen to one of those songs all the way through.

>>48545680
Yes there would be latency problems. But for a monophonic synth the 2 octave keyboard it has is definitely enough. I wouldn't bother with a 61 key controller. You'll find that you'll probably only ever use 2 octaves at a time and end up overspending on your MIDI controller, which is what 90% of beginners end up doing.

The cheapest polysynths are things like the Blofeld, or go on ebay and get something like a JP-8080 or MS2000.

>>48545733
Ableton Lives Drum Rack
>>
>>48545733
Ableton can do it, or any other DAW.
there's probably a free program that can trigger samples via MIDI
>>
>>48545605
i don't know how you could be, polyphony in analog synths requires more wiring for each voice causing them to cost way more than monophonic
>>
>>48545772
>I wouldn't, I can't listen to one of those songs all the way through
haha why not?
>>
>>48545772
>Ableton Lives Drum Rack
I might try Ableton.

>>48545776
If anyone knows of a free opensource program please let me know.

The last time I tried to torrent Ableton the patch had a trojan in it.
>>
>>48541054
so how many of u got yo songs finished or almost
>>
>>48545813
waaaaayy too loud and ear fatiguing mang
>>
>>48545772
Well I think getting a larger controller is justified because It's not just for recording stuff, I'd like to be able to play around for fun and for practice, which I wouldn't want a two octave keyboard for.
>>
>>48545855
LMMS is free and open source. You can definitely use MIDI and i THINK the beatpads can work in it but if not there's definitely a VST out there that can take the midi notes from the beatpads and trigger samples
>>
>>48545947
I didn't even start lol, I had to finish a song I was working on earlier

Priorities, man
>>
>>48546405
same, it's all good tho
i just don't wanna be the only one with a big ole description of what i did like in the OP lol
>>
What is /bleepproduction/s opinion on Skrillex? On his writing? His production? His shows?
>>
>>48547789
he's technically good at what he does but I'm not really a fan
>>
>>48547789
>Skrillex?
Great guy.

>On his writing?
Pure fun, knows his niche but is not afraid to experiment.

>His production?
Great example of not needing gear to make strong tunes.

>His shows?
A shit. It's literally pressing "play".
>>
the wolf lives. thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxh_D7W4YjQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh56cEx2r2o
>>
File: d a m n.jpg (148KB, 877x479px) Image search: [Google]
d a m n.jpg
148KB, 877x479px
>>48546392
Can second using LMMS. Beatpads should definitely work as long as they are mapped to keyboard keys. Other wise, you're limited to midi controls using the beatpads.

However, one of LMMS's biggest flaws is the inability to export midis for use with other DAWs, and another would be its own inflexibility when opening projects within other operation systems, though that is more of a consequence of using multiple operating systems for music production rather than a fault of the program. At the very least, individual stems could be exported out of LMMS for use in other DAWs.

Unfortunately, open-source/free options for producing audio on Windows is very limited, though there are a plethora of options for Linux/Mac OSX/Unix.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_audio_workstation#Free_and_open_source_software
>>
>>48548315
>thoughts?
>"wow, it's here!"
>"psshhh"
>"PSSHHHH"
>>
>>48547947
>Great example of not needing gear to make strong tunes.
>Pure fun, knows his niche but is not afraid to experiment.

7/10 would blow air out of my nose again
>>
>>48548463
I'm not joking, though, and both the Leaving EP and the Recess album are testaments to those lines.
>>
>>48548463

I'll buy one Skrillex album for every 2 Sublime albums shot into space.
>>
Are there any good /free/ granular synthesis plugins?
Or anything easily pirateable
>>
>>48548315
That snare is literally just white noise
>>
>>48549036
it has like a thunk too that i think you can turn down and up.

$200 though man

$140 used in a few months after release

good alternative to volca beats in my opinion, plus the board is going to be very moddable according to akai
>>
>>48548531
>>48548708

Skrillex and his ilk are the modern equivalent of 80s arena shred.

It's a fucking extra cheese pizza.
>>
>>48549160
yes, yes they are
isn't that the best thing, just like 80's rock/metal was?
>>
>>48549319
that music was garb too
>>
>>48545134
things sound mixed pretty well, I can hear all the instruments. although you do make them dissonant from each other until ilke 3min+ in. that bass (not the drum) is a little too boomy. I would maybe cut it off a little more, and if you want to mix it melodically maybe double it with something that's higher in frequency than the bass. i do this a lot for basses in general.

also the chord prog isn't bad either, it's like a chill dance song. the only thing that kills it for me is the bass
>>
oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy
>>
>>48551236
>48000 Hz
>>
>>48551247
All the audio files are 48000hz and nobody is ever going to want to listen to it at higher quality. It's not even bad quality, it's higher than CD sample rate. 24 bit 48000hz whereas CDs are 16 bit 41000hz.
>>
>>48551351
True, but why not even go higher.. you know, for the eventual vinyl release, heh
>>
http://www.sound-machines.it/
>not using your brain to control your synthesizers
>>
Guys what kind of track should I try to make. I want to do the challenge but I blew my creative wad just recently.
>>
>>48551554
Don't try to make a genre, just make something.
>>
>>48551540
this guy knows where it's at with brain waves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbp6-8YWgQc
>>
>>48551637
lmao, that guy looks like he's still been in the 70s for the past 40 years
>>
>>48551679
yeah he looks like a dork, but he does some cool videos if you wanna get into electronics
>>
>>48551711
I'm already into electronics. Enough to imagine Sylvester Stallone saying "aoyue" counts as funny to moe.
>>
>>48551351
you're not wrong, but 44,1khz is the standard for audio, 48khz is for movies. if you want to push your nyquist-frequency, go for higher samplerights. otherwise it looks like you don't know what you're doing
>>
Do you guys have fancy computer desks or how do you handle all your stuff? I'm thinking about getting a plastic table with fold legs and using that as my producing table but I'm not sure where i'd put my computer, I don't want it on the carpet that's for sure.
>>
>>48551756
i was implying that i wanna get into electronics....
>>
>>48551845
I was making a joke about the enunciation of a brand of soldering irons.
>>
>>48551798
those are the standard consumption bit rates (or were) but for producing music it should be as high as your computer can handle.
>>
>>48551822
this is my studio
>>
>>48551909
I've seen that picture on the interwebs (/g/) before, that's kind of like my room exxcept I have less dirt in my room
>>
>>48551935
post your room
>>
>>48551955
I would never, I was just curious how you guys handle your stuff
>>
>>48551980
go to thrift stores and shit to look for desks, tables. I am using an old table that folds out into a larger table, it used to be used for beer pong. the rest is just small plastic tables, keyboard stands. buying a "specific" recording desk is often expensive, look around and keep in mind specific measurements you might have to conform to.
>>
>>48552045
do you keep your computer on the fold out beer pong table thing? Or do you have it on something else? I just don't want to have too much weight on the table. I was thinking about buying some monitor stands for my hs50m's but I figured I'll just put them on my table.
>>
>>48552130
you should place your monitors higher. put some foam our something under your monitors
>>
>>48552190
>put some foam
oh yea most definitely, but You think there'd be much of a difference from putting them on some steel/metal monitor stands, vs a plastic table?
>>
>>48552273
no there should'nt be a huge difference
>>
File: IMG_1915.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1915.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>48552130
yeah i keep it on the table, pic related
>>
bumpin from the grave
>>
>>48548323
you can extract the midi, save it as flp and then use flpextractor
>>
File: 1109_01.png (131KB, 501x438px) Image search: [Google]
1109_01.png
131KB, 501x438px
How do you guys find stuff at thrift shops and flee markets? Any tips?
>>
>>48557741
>thrift shops
Usually garbage. Every once in a while there's something that's the right level of cheese that it get's by kids, but it still sounds good. I got a nice 2 OP yamaha FM synth with an auto rhythm section that lets you use the limited programmer for the synth engine, it gets really noisy and trashy if you use it right, in a way that still sounds good, but unlike any other auto accompaniment section I've ever heard.

The other find was a casio that had analog drums that was very CR78 sounding. Unfortunately the fucker didn't like staying in tune.

Sometimes there's good speaker cabinets with shit speakers. If you can source good speakers, old cabs are usually worth $8-10

I also found a toy megaphone thing that modulates your voice with some weird pitch shifting. Still don't have a use for it, but I'm glad I nabbed it when I did.

Avoid organs like the plague, there's always home organs to be found for free.

My last bit of advice, check sundays, that's usually when the most new inventory gets out.

>flea markets
cant help you there

And remember, check craigslist religiously.
>>
>>48557876
Do you have any other tips? I already check craigslist but nothing ever comes up.
>>
>>48558026
Where are you from?

On craigslist, never pay asking price. If they reject your offer, move on.
>>
>>48558046
I should also add, be prepared for them to counter your offer, that's how bartering works. Don't do it pawn stars style, where you constantly shoot offers, that's bullshit and never happens in real life. Just make an offer, wait for their counter, and decide if you want to make the deal.
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.