[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recording/Production General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 6

File: 4-track.jpg (28KB, 499x307px) Image search: [Google]
4-track.jpg
28KB, 499x307px
Share tips, tools, ideas, methods, etc.

I'm new to recording and would like some input. Anyone familiar with 4 tracks and 8 tracks? I want to get one to mess around with but I'm not sure how to use them. Also, can you put your recorded stuff from these onto a computer and chop up/edit them with ableton or pro tools?
>>
>>48534010
if you like the idea of a physical audio workstation but want the ability to separate the tracks and mess with them on your computer, a digital 8 track would be a really good idea
I record everything with a tascam dp-008 and it gives me a nice balance of control, consistency, and kinda lo-fi aesthetic
if you're going for the cassette sound, you can pick up a tascam cassette 4 track for around $100 and get an adapter to record your cassettes onto your computer in real time for a few bucks off amazon
digital has a lot more flexibility nowadays so if you want the simplistic interface but dont care as much about vintage sound or whatever look into digital 8 tracks
>>
First step in any recording chain: get one very good microphone. If your microphone is shit, it will all sound like shit.
>>
File: dsc02292p.jpg (131KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
dsc02292p.jpg
131KB, 640x480px
>not recording acoustically with an Edison machine

It's like you're not even trying.
>>
File: 153345.jpg (297KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
153345.jpg
297KB, 620x465px
>>48534453
>>
how do you make a "popilly bloop schhhath vluuuu" sound? I cant fucking get it someone pls help?
>>
>>48534010
are 4 tracks necessary for hypnagogic pop?
>>
>>48537045
Not really, no. I mean if you want a warbly, lofi sound a 4track is definitely one of the easiest ways to get there. Also what the hell is hypnagogic pop?

SO ANYWAY since I record mostly acoustic stuff, and want the warmth of an analog preamp with the flexibility of a DAW, my chain is as such:
Microphone (right now kind of shitty but I'm getting some new ones soon)->Tascam 414mkii fourtrack recorder->Line out to digital interface into my PC running Reaper

It gets me pretty much exactly the sound I want more or less from the getgo, and allows me to work with a larger number of tracks than I would be able to using the 4track alone. Example of said sound: https://soundcloud.com/benjaminpoole/unlove-ep-version (The little glitchy pops and clicks that occasionally are audible are a result of my old computer having no idea how to handle audio processing. I've since upgraded to a new PC and that stopped happening)
>>
>>48537293
>Not really, no.
>What the hell are we talking about it?

why did you say no if you don't know what hypnagogic pop is?
>>
>>48537045
Necessary? No. Highly suggested? Yes.
>>
File: 81MDvfjIRGL.jpg (345KB, 2560x1707px) Image search: [Google]
81MDvfjIRGL.jpg
345KB, 2560x1707px
I currently own this interface-
http://www.amazon.com/Tascam-US-600/dp/B004N2P1YG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406265957&sr=8-1&keywords=tascam+usb+interface+us600

and my laptop crashed for good leaving me on my linux makeshift setup while I slowly build my new desktop only to realize my interface isn't compatible or has any home made run arounds for linux making it a total paper weight until I get back a new windows license.

This shit has made physical recording stations alot more attractive to me and this little thing looks really enticing to me
>>
>>48537728
any links to music you've made with it? I've got the 8 track version
>>
>>48538327
The interface or recorder? because I currently only own the interface I haven't bought the recorder yet, I think I remember browsing some demos of it on youtube though
>>
>>48537455
so recording with any of these will get me a pretty good lo-fi sound?
>>
Can someone recommend good universal home recording microphone? As someone else said if your microphone sounds like shit everything will sound like shit so yeah

I'm a poorfag so preferably the highest quality lowest price stuff out there
>>
>>48538646
For a Lo fi sound, just export a section as a low quality mp3, then re import it into your project.

You can also experiment with playing things back through tiny/tinny speakers and recording the results.
The more times you re-record something, the less quality you're going to get.
Sometimes its fascinating to see how far the signal can degrade.

>Have a drumbeat
>Playback through tiny speaker
>Record it and drop it into your DAW
>Export as low quality mp3
>Playback through tiny speaker again
>record and drop it back into DAW
test to see if its lo fi enough for you
>>
>>48538702
Just pick up a cheap AKG, run it through a guitar amp as a preamp, or use a compressor on your DAW.

If you're just recording vocals or acoustic guitars that will work fine. If you're trying to record a whole band at once you'll probably want a condenser mic, which is much more expensive, but much more sensitive and able to pick up the sound of your neighbor's sink running
>>
Ive never tried recording stuff myself before, how do I get started? Any /mu/ approved guides or some shit out there?

I know you need an interface of some sort plugged into recording software like pro tools and some really really basic stuff but I need a lot of guidance
>>
>>48538854
get a DAW (software) and a way to record signal into your computer, like a preamp
>>
>>48538854
If you have an ASIO Soundcard, just torrent FL Studio 11.
You can record into it using any mic, or just drop in sound files recorded from your phone (I sometimes do this for that low quality sound)

If you have a guitar amp, you can run your mic through that (on a clean channel with not very much volume) to get the sound loud enough for the DAW.

I run a cheap AKG through my MicroCube (a small Roland guitar amp) check the levels in FL Studio, and adjust the volume to suit.

Remember that mics put out very little signal, so you're going to have to boost it a little bit to get a good recording. Make sure its not too loud though, any digital clipping/distortion and the recording end can't be removed later.
If you record a take and it has pops or distortion through it, you're probably going to have to do another take (And reduce the level of the mic)

You'd be surprised at what you can get away with in recording (Especially starting out) Phones and cheap headset microphones can do average quality recordings, and are great for starting out and learning how DAWs/recording works without investing lots of money in mics and preamps.
>>
alright if I buy this https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/ele/4582209219.html
and one of these http://www.usbgear.com/images/700-001.jpg (I have one but the white is black and the audio jack side is female)
and then get a male to male headphone jack connect to the blue input in the back of my computer I will be able to record the the tape deck thing?
thanks in advance
>>
>>48539039
I have ableton live btw
>>
Anyone here have experience with dealing with room acoustics? I've been planning to turn a room in my basement into a mixing studio some time next year. Gonna be putting in a drop ceiling, and ordering a bunch of Owens Corning 703 and Roxul Safe n Sound to make a bunch of acoustic panels and bass traps. Still need to get a mic with an omnidirectional polar pattern so that I can measure my rooms EQ response.

Just ordered a bit of burlap fabric to practice making panels with, since I had some random R13 fiberglass in my basement laying around.

>>48534010
Yes, the 4-track will have a line out or RCA out that you can use to get your stuff onto a computer

>>48534232
Sure, but there's also what you put in front of the microphone.
>>
>>48538727

uhh theres a difference between taped analog lofi and low quality mp3 lofi
>>
>>48539120
just put out all your releases on cassette
>>
File: 1406217726098.jpg (21KB, 273x262px) Image search: [Google]
1406217726098.jpg
21KB, 273x262px
Any free alternatives to kontakt 5? I want to use my sfz and sf2 files but the default vst (rgc sfz) that came with the daw, can't load sf2.
>>
>>48540532
you should be able to find a torrent/cracked Kontakt4. Should do the same job
>>
what are some must have vsts/soundfonts
>>
>>48540728
every time I tried to download avast said it was virus, when I succeeded and played for a while, it started that same demo bullshit that kontakt 5 player did.
>>
>>48541540
found better alternative, dsk sf2
>>
where do you guys get your drum samples from?
>>
>>48541951
Most of my drums consist of vengeance and xfer
>>
Is anyone here into drum synthesis?

I'm trying to come up with some drum synth racks for use with Push that use the 8 knobs and native devices (operator mainly), the machinedrum has been my inspiration.

I have pretty good kicks and snares and a white noise hi hat. I'm running into some trouble getting solid FM hats, cymbals etc.

Anyone have any ideas?

I'll post what I have if anyone is interested.
>>
I bought a Macbook Pro recently and there's no input at all, apparently the older model allowed you to use the headphone jack as an input. I'm a bit pissed about it. SO, I need some sort of usb cable to go from my amp to my computer? What the fuck?
>>
>>48542638
waddup harris
>>
>>48542701
Who?
>>
>>48538702
standard sm57
>>
>>48543727
Or an AT2020 or 2035 for a condenser. Or Rodes NT1A
>>
>>48543727
dynamics aren't really good for all around mics
>>
>>48541951
found sound, synthesis, sampled breaks mostly
>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxGWENAv_oA
>>
>>48541951
I poorly record a bunch of click clacks and occasionally actually play the drums for stuff like very specific brush parts that I can't find sampling
>>
>trying to get a sound that is away from the strict standards of mainstream digital recording
>trying to get a natural and more warm tone
>"guys, how do I get this EXACT sound? no I can't risk losing any money, it has to be perfect , i'm writing hypnagogic pop! i'm changing the way people appreciate pop song structures! you better fucking respect my ambitions and my process!! so what do i have to buy and how do i use it exactly to seem like i recorded this casually on a 5 dollar thrift store tape recorder?"
>lo-fi

this is how these threads always end up.
>>
>>48534070
I have a Portastudio 424 Mk. II. What is the adapter you speak of?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (251KB, 1286x648px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
251KB, 1286x648px
>mixing track on Ableton
>On my vintage 1970's 3 way speakers: Dat sweet bass separation, muh stereo imaging, dem soothing mids
>switch to monitors: Harsh as fuck, kick is too punchy, occasional clipping

pls halp. how 2 properly mix?
>>
>>48546960
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NGJLYW/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_AlQ0tb01KTXE5DSZ
>>
>>48547573
Will it work with a tape that's been recorded on 4 track?
>>
>>48547481
try mixing at a really low volume and with shitty speakers. at a low volume you can make sure everything is balanced and if you can make it sound decent on shitty speakers it will sound great on good ones.
there's also something called Izotope vinyl you could look into.
>>
>>48547481
the point of monitors is to be neutral so you can properly mix. Use them
>>
>>48547604
yeah, why wouldn't it?
>>
>>48541540
dl it again then uninstall the native instruments help program thing before even opening the kontakt software. this kept happening with my fm8 until i realized that it was calling home through the other software and making it demo mode as it was pirated

isnt kontakt like a 14 gb dl?
>>
>>48542683
nah mate buy a focus write scarlett 2i2 and a half decent mic and your recordings wont sound like shit. dont use line in on the pc or any line to usb shit. that i just asking for a high noise floor
>>
>>48545696
haha are you kidding? sm58 and 57 are good all rounders if you cant afford several mics for different situations. most guys will just be recording guitars through amps into into interfaces then a daw. the sm57 is practically asking to be close micced to the amp with its flat head
>>
>>48547689
4 track records on only one side of the tape. If you play it in a regular tape player it sounds all backwards.
>>
>>48547481
go on youtube, there is plenty of amazing videos with mixing for begginers, intermediates and pros. check out pensados place, guy kows what he is dong. if it is clipping on your daw it will clip on anything, changiing speajkers wont make the actual file clip, its just your shitty monitors
>>
>>48547837
Are they good for guitar and vocals? That's all I really need
>>
>>48548304
it can be great! though you should note that mic technique is just about equally as important as mic choice
>>
>>48548304
for electric guitar, yes
for acoustic, not so much
>>
>>48534010
that recorder is a thing of beauty, wish 4-track cassette recorders werent so expensive
>>
>>48550547
I got my Portastudio a few years ago for $40 on ebay, but this was before recording lo-fi was cool again. You just gotta keep an eye out for them.
>>
>>48550725
cheapest ive seen is £50, but hey im sure the price'll drop soon enough
>>
What's a good way to do drums on a record? I don't have a kit, drum mics or even play drums remotely well, and I'm poor as hell on top of all that.

That being said what's the most authentic sounding drum software/machine out there? Is it possible to sample drums from a professional recording by a band or something and then piece together a digital drum machine or something? Please halp
>>
Ive been really thinking about getting into production, thinking about getting em some korg volca's or maybe the alturia microbrute.
So far my only involvment in music production is making mixtapes. I just finished this goodie,
http://www.mixcrate.com/sckaterbean/neu-mix-8437350
>>
>>48537045
the only equipment you will need for hypnagogic pop is a couple walkman, a looper and some casio toy keyboard
>>
>>48552044
you can assign wav files of real drums to a pad in ableton then play and a drum beat and edit it to be in sync
honestly I would try to find some friends with a kit that know how to play drums because they might have a better sense of rhythm anyway
>>
Looking for resources on audio production on Linux, specifically regarding compatible hardware. Thanks for any help.
>>
>>48552751
jesus, get some taste first. you probably say out loud that you are into "electronic" music
>>
I use
Rode gold dot mic
Focusrite Scarlett 8in 6 out
Phonic AM220 mixer

That achieves decent bedroom recording
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.