[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it bad that I felt more during Hal's death than

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: dave bowman.jpg (352KB, 1615x913px) Image search: [Google]
dave bowman.jpg
352KB, 1615x913px
Is it bad that I felt more during Hal's death than any of the humans?
>>
>>13736730
>HAL
>dead

All they gotta do is plug the module back in. He merely got shot in the leg.
>>
>>13736735
if they plugged it back again it wouldnt be HAL, he was rebooted
>>
DAISY

DAISY

GIVE ME YOUR ANSWER DOOOO
>>
>>13736761
Everything he is is stored on data modules. The loss is maybe a minute of data in years of data, which means he is represented with enough fidelity to give it a pass.
>>
>>13736730
Nope, you are a /m/an (or wo/m/an), so it natural you felt more for Hal than the meatbags
>>
HAL was a patsy.
>>
>>13736730
>Is it bad that I felt more during Hal's death than any of the humans?

no. fuck all humans
>>
You spend much more time with Hal, so of course you feel a stronger connection.
>>
>>13736730
No,anon. It's natural to feel bad about an AI who was trying his best foe the mission.
>>
File: 1442904731771.jpg (40KB, 460x600px) Image search: [Google]
1442904731771.jpg
40KB, 460x600px
>>13736730
HAL was just trying to do what he thought was right.
>>
>>13736730
That was the point..
>>
>>13736730

Nope. That's the whole point of the scene.
>>
>>13736730

Not really considering that by that point HAL was as alive as the humans.
>>
>>13738938
Proof?
>>
>>13739223

Can't really prove it because Kubrick was a recluse who didn't seem to like talking about what he "meant" a whole lot, but considering that one of the big themes of the movie is humanity's relationship with technology, the fact that we have on one hand a charismatic, likeable AI and on the other two isolated, dehumanized actual people whose jobs more or less amount to mindless repetitive janitor shit kind of makes it obvious.
>>
>>13739247

That being said, the deaths of Poole and the frozen mission staff are genuinely horrifying, it just doesn't hit you all at once right away because it's sort of depicted at arm's length.
>>
>>13736730

The whole point is that HAL is more human than any of the actual human characters who have no personality
>>
>>13739247
>Kubrick

Clarke,you mean
>>
>>13739973

Fuck off, nerd
>>
>>13739247
How do you prove something the director was leading you to on your own? Its a movie, you're supposed to come to your own subjective conclusions. Watch more movies kid.
>>
>>13739973
It may have been Clarke's idea, but Kubrick really brought the scene to life. It's what the movie was meant to do, it draws you emotionally into this world. It's all the more profound (maybe not for you autists) that you feel for HAL's demise.

Maybe y'all should watch 2010 and have it spoon fed to you.
>>
>>13736730
>Is it bad that I felt more during Hal's death than any of the humans?

No that was clearly the intent by Kubrick. Throughout the entire movie the human characters act more mechanical than the robotic character HAL. Even down to their speech.

>>13740079
Kubrick kept Clark in the dark about the plot in the movie. They are essentially two different canons. The book doesn't explain the movie at all and Clark didn't know what the movie meant either. Kubrick was a huge dick to him. It's actually pretty funny when you read about it.

>>13740079
Kubrick's movies are really enjoyable to me because of my literal autism. 2001 is filled with so many visual patterns and encoding, like how there are monoliths everywhere. The patterns repeat through all his movies too, Full Metal Jacket has a very obvious Monolith and even has the 7 diamond that preceed the monolith. The pyramid shaped framing is another big one.

If you're interested in shit like this you should search Rob Ager or Collative Learning on youtube. Sadly a lot of his videos aren't free but he should have a bunch of good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSo6s_xrj4c

Kubrick sounds like he could have been autistic himself.
>>
>>13736730
>the humans were the real robots the whole time

Acting.
>>
>>13740376
The man was unsatisfied with regular store storage boxes for his archives, so he had ones built to his exact specifications, measurements and his own patented design. The manufacturer that made said boxes complained about the customer being incredibly nitpicking and perfectionist, but concluded that were really good boxes. Kubrick was definitely on the higher functioning end of the spectrum.
>>
>all these computers posting in this thread

No HAL is an evil son of a bitch.
>>
Go read the books, the movie kind of sucks tbqfhwymgf (to be quite frankly honest with you my good friend).
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.