[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Magic Mecha's?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: 1271471169870.jpg (50KB, 434x579px) Image search: [Google]
1271471169870.jpg
50KB, 434x579px
I don't mean the story folly of "Technology so convenient that it may as well be magic" Like Gundam 00 or Vandread.

It's just that, Honest to god magic seems to be a perfect partner to Mecha anime, so why is it not seen more often? I mean, technology that does the same job as magic, yeah, every series has that, but are there any good (Doesn't have to be great, just has to be not bad.) series that actually focus on having magic-powered mechs?

>Stupid-Sexy-Gundam is always related
>>
Escaflowne
Dunbine
Ryu Knight
Rayearth
>>
>>13486271
SD Gundam Brave Battle Warriors... not technically magic powered robots, but they are robots that use magic.
>>
>>13486271
Demonbane
>>
>no ginguiser
baka senpai
>>
>>13486283
There's also that Slayers film about the two giant golems.
>>
>>13486271
The issue is two-fold.

1) Magic has rules that make it function, and in a good story, those rules are well thought out and consistent. That takes effort, which is all too often too much to ask.

2) Genre mixing is tricky to pull off well. Especially when trying to justify things in-universe. Why do you need both magic AND giant robots? Two completely different sets of physics need to be combined because....?

You could do it, but it would take some serious work.
>>
Does FSS count?
>>
>>13486271
Fucking Raideen and Rahxephon.

How have you not watched some of these? A lot of stuff has magic in all but name as well. Getter being exhibit A and TTGL being Exhibit B. If Getter Rays were simply called "magic," the meaning of the mech's power source would not change in any way
>>
Escaflowne
Rayearth
>>
>>13489176
>because....?
It's cool
>>
>>13489176
>Science has rules that make it function, and in a good story, those rules are well thought out and consistent. That takes effort, which is all too often too much to ask.
>>
>>13486271
>Honest to god magic seems to be a perfect partner to Mecha anime
Harry Potter LotR babbys, everyone.
This generation is fucked.
>>
>>13489259
Exactly. In fiction, the only true difference between conventional physics and magic is in the way it's presented. So when you have magic giant robots, you're mixing two different aesthetics/themes.

>>13489244
Well obviously because it's cool. Why do the characters need mechs that use magic?
>>
It's in Dunbine innit
>>
File: 1432926602527.gif (2MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1432926602527.gif
2MB, 200x200px
>>13489274
What the fuck are you on about? Why do you think the term "It's magic, I ain't gotta explain shit." exists?

Mecha is usually a genre with a lot of "It's technology, I ain't gotta explain shit" attitudes to it. I mean, Gurren Lagann is one of the most highly praised Mecha series of all time and even that does this. "How does it work? Spiral Energy! What's that? It's Spiral Energy, I ain't gotta explain shit!" same with Gundam and the Newtypes. Newtypes have whatever abilites that the narrative requires them to have when the writers write themselves into a corner.

Honestly, I can't see why Magic and Mecha wouldn't go together, in this generation of fucked up newfags, or any other. Look at Outlaw Star, pretty good mix of Science and Magic.
>>
Hate to be off-topic, but does anyone know what is in OPs pic? MG with HG torso?
>>
>>13489176
>Why do you need both magic AND giant robots?
Because they can complement each other. See Broken Blade's example: magic there can only move rocks, and with their limited technology, they use said magic to move giant golems.
>>
>>13489302
iirc it was an action figure or something that had a very slim look to it
>>
>>13489274
So why were there several fantasy-mecha series in the 90's and 80's, before those things were mainstream?

Thinking is hard, huh?
>>
>>13489274
>lotr
>babbys
u fukin wot

also plenty of mecha are magic dude
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.