[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Traditional Mecha vs Organic Mecha

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 28

File: 1401490842065.webm (265KB, 486x500px)
1401490842065.webm
265KB, 486x500px
So how does the traditional steel and alloy mecha stack up versus one of biomass ?

Which would one be seemingly easier or resource efficient to produce in a time of war ?
>>
>>13063726
Varies on a case-by-case basis.
>>
>Organic mecha
>Takes time to grow
>If damaged, it needs time to heal
>Made of weak flesh and often relies on brute strength or needs to be armored in machine parts anyways to make it effective.

>Traditional mech
>Can be mass produced
>If damaged, it can be repaired or have it's damaged sections replaced as long as parts are available
>Made of metal alloys and shit so it's tough
>It doesn't need to use weapons or armor, it IS weapons and armor.

Also, if a organic mecha needs to eat, does that mean it shits too?
>>
>>13063750
>Also, if a organic mecha needs to eat, does that mean it shits too?

Yes, look at Metal Gear Solid 4. Or it would need to be fueled with nutrient fluids and then given dialysis if it doesn't cycle out its own waste somehow.
>>
>>13063750
>>13063760
unless it's an ALIEN organic mecha like evangelion
>>
>>13063750

Well it may not need to even "eat" in the traditional sense.

They could just intake some kind of nutrient solution or get sustenance through photosynthesis or what not.
>>
We're just fleshy machines essentially
but are the actual organic materials needed? We could just use synthetic materials to mimic organic functions. Or would we just alter our biochemistry to improve what's already there. Is that /m/ anymore?
>>
>>13063760

I thought the GEKO were still synthetic if that is what you are referring to ?
>>
What /m/ stuff is there with biomecha?
>>
Speaking of biomecha, given the fact the Inbit are just spiritual beings given giant, metal bodies, and if you pit them against Noise (Symphogear), which one wins?
>>
>>13063726
which reminds me i should finish that anime
>>
File: mospeada_chase7.jpg (38KB, 400x700px) Image search: [Google]
mospeada_chase7.jpg
38KB, 400x700px
Which is the better show with Macross design rejects, Mospeada or Orguss?
>>
>>13065670
I haven't seen orguss, but its probably better than mospeada

only good things about mospeada: manly trap, motorcycle armor, and the opening

I could listen to the opening all fuckin day though.
>>
>>13065670
They're both meh, but Orguss has superios mechs
>>
>>13065540
Tekkaman Blade, Guyver, Eva, Dunbine (sort of), E7, etc... there's a pretty good amount.
>>
>>13063726
Lower the resolution and raise the bitrate.
>>
>>13065670
i liked both
>>
>>13065651

>Noise (Symphogear)

The what ?
>>
>>13065878
the fruit mooks shinfogia has
>>
>>13065651
Giant, metal bodies can't be carbonized, anon.
>>
>>13065937

Thanks
>>
>>13063726
Why does the other guy take so long to swing? He basically raises his arm and then just stands there going "Man, it'd really suck if someone were to shoot me with a big ass gun right now. I better wait like this for thirty more minutes so someone with lock-on missiles has a chance to ruin my day too. Okay, waited long enough, here I g- LOCK-ON MISSLES?! NOOO!"
>>
>>13063726
Don't biomecha usually get armor plating? The only exception I can think of is Attack on Titan, but Titans regenerate quicker than a jackrabbit on a gas stove in August
>>
>>13068102
Varies from series to series, but most examples I can think of which have pilots usually have some carapace or chitin.
>>
>>13065925

I don't know what Noise or Symphogear are.
>>
>>13068102

I don't know, a lot of the Organic Mecha I've seen have subpar armor.
>>
>>13068345

Come to think of it that is usually how it is in RTS and RPG games from what I've seen.
>>
File: 20130209141308-2b2e836a.png (277KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
20130209141308-2b2e836a.png
277KB, 640x480px
>>13065670
>implying Artmic had anything to do with Macross

>>13065679
>I haven't seen orguss, but its probably better
>haven't seen
>better

Seriously?
>>
>>13065728
Can you recommend a good webm converter? Apparently I've been churning out sub-par files for over a year now.

>>13066227
That's all happening within a brief moment, but it's being shown from several perspectives.
>>
You can fuck an organic machine, so it wins.
>>
>>13070391

I don't believe anything could be further from the truth actually.
>>
>>13063726
biomass.. you just salvage the wreckage by breaking it back down into protein using enzymes, then feed it back to the tanks that you grow these organic mecha

unlike steel and alloy mecha, they are immune to EMP
>>
>>13070211
>Can you recommend a good webm converter?
Go look up Webm for Retards... Wait, it changed its name. Whatever the new name is then.
>>
>>13070545

But couldn't they vulnerable to a lot of other things like poison or extreme electrical shocks that wouldn't affect a machine of alloy ?
>>
>>13070211
>a good webm converter
The actual ffmpeg exe and your command line.

For resizing, you use the scale command.
scale=WIDTH:HEIGHT
where WIDTH and HEIGHT is the resolution in pixels will scale your image to the specified size. If you want to avoid stretching this when you garble the aspect ratio, just set one of the values to -1 (scale=-1:HEIGHT or scale=WIDTH:-1)
And if you don't care to know the resolution of your input file or to think up a good res to scale it to, you can always just halve the fucker with
scale=-1:ih/2
"ih" tells it to use the input height as-is, and the /2 is a mathematical operation which divides by two, halving it. You could also ih*2 to double the size of something, or use iw (for the width) instead of ih (but if you're using -1 to correct for the aspect it really doesn't matter which one you pick).

All of this only seems like a lot to keep in your head until you do it two or three times.
>>
>>13070583
Adaptation?
>>
>>13070928

I don't know.

Organics seem to have more weaknesses than Alloy does.
>>
>>13070545

But is biomass more plentiful and easier to exploit than ore ?
>>
>>13070928

That may not work for everything.
>>
What would you wear when piloting an organic Mecha anyway ?
>>
>>13077923
If you look at some people's fetishes, nothing at all.
>>
>>13078493

>nothing at all.

I'm not buying that for one second.
>>
>>13079711

That also wouldn't be very practical in an emergency.
>>
How much weaponry could you mount on an organic mecha ?

It seems like they couldn't hold as many as one made of alloy.
>>
>>13063750
>If damaged, it needs time to heal
This is more of a plus for Bioarmor/Organic Mechs. You can recover right in the middle of a battle if given enough time, making the need to go back to base for repairs obsolete. Although, it would require some specific circumstances.

>It doesn't need to use weapons or armor, it IS weapons and armor
Aren't most Organic mecha also their own weapon? There are a lot of things that vary between most organic mechs, such as speed and armor. At least with traditional mechs, they usually have a set standard for them.
>>
>>13084847

If it is repairing in the middle of combat doesn't it need a source of bio-matter or material with which to repair any damage with depending on what it is ?
>>
>>13084943

That is assuming the law of conservation of mass applies.
>>
So how organic were the Invid mecha exactly ?
>>
>>13084847

If you're in the middle of combat do you even have time to wait on something to repair itself like that ?
>>
File: 518691-robot_jox_thumbs_super.jpg (24KB, 600x328px) Image search: [Google]
518691-robot_jox_thumbs_super.jpg
24KB, 600x328px
>>13068240
if b8, then gr8.

If not, muy bueno.
>>
>>13091191

I'm not sure what you're trying to say.
>>
>>13091258
in short: regardless of your motives, I approve your responses.
>>
>>13091262

I see.
>>
Any thoughts on Organic Mecha in RPGS ?
>>
>>13095365
Uh. I hate to do this, but GURPS. Probably in the Transhumanism section, or one of the Sci-Fi books.
>>
>>13095443

Transhumanism ?

I only know that concept as it applies to cybernetics.
>>
>>13095458
Iirc it also has biotech in the book. Not sure, I haven't gone through my books in a while.
>>
>>13088877

Were the Invid Mecha even worth anything come to think of it ?

They didn't seem all that good outside of mass numbers.
>>
>>13095443

>GURPS

And what is that ?
>>
>>13097598
>GURPS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GURPS
Google is your friend.
>>
>>13063726
Think about much time and food an organism needs to grow large; whale, tree, elephant, they all require tons of investment. A robot obviously wins over a living thing in that category.

And when it comes to durability and effectiveness, just look at boats; we moved from building boats from biomass (wood) to building boats from metal because metal is much tougher and requires less maintenance.

Basically, there's zero advantage to a biological mecha.
>>
>>13084819
It depends. If it's alive, you'll obviously be restricted by things like organs taking up space. If it's just a mecha made from biological materials like one made from metal, it would depend on the qualities of the materials.
>>
What are the main biomecha shows besides Eva?
>>
File: rok_up1[1].jpg (89KB, 987x615px) Image search: [Google]
rok_up1[1].jpg
89KB, 987x615px
>>13065540
Ryo'Ohki and Fuku, sort of. They engineered designer living beings. Can take the shape of a cabbit, a humanoid girl, or a space battleship capable of fighting against the strongest spaceships in the universe.
>>
>>13100578

They can also turn into a Mech if I recall.

I remember seeing that in that episode where they destroyed Tenshi's house.
>>
File: cabbit_mech[1].gif (44KB, 378x314px) Image search: [Google]
cabbit_mech[1].gif
44KB, 378x314px
>>13100676
I think that is from Tenichi in Tokyo.
>>
>>13100710

Nothing like cabbits.
>>
>>13100270

Maybe you could implant the weaponry via cybernetics ?
>>
>>13104568

Not likely. Due to the mecha's organic nature, it would, depending on how it's made, have unique genetic material that you'd have to develop and make specifically for that purpose. That part isn't really difficult, but the funding would be -- the cybernetic enhancements, depending on scope and size, would have to be much larger.

Familiar with cyberpunk any? Even if not, basically think of how expensive Alphaware is in Shadowrun. That's just for humanoid-sized folks, like the hydraulic jacks, the magnetized arm structures, the platelete factories. They run thousands of dollars PER enhancement, possibly more for military-grade cyberware and bioware.

Now enhance that up to three times the size, weight, and complexity and you'd be looking at a limited viability for the price range. It'd basically have to be backed by the military, government, or someone with a lotta cash to throw around.

That's not to say that organic mecha themselves aren't viable, but that enhancing them would be incredibly expensive, something that would certainly halt their use compared to inorganic mecha, who could, theoretically, be upgraded for much less expense.
>>
>>13105351

But what if the enhancement placed it above a traditional mecha ?
>>
>>13105789

Cost prohibitive. Think of it like this; a mecha is going to be around thirty storeys in height. Picturing an organic mecha beside an inorganic one, of roughly same height, you get roughly the same amount of work involved in upgrading them.

The difference is, you have to actually develop round the organic mecha's organs and its natural rejection process and, in general, know exactly how its body works.

You have to do the same for the traditional mecha, but engineers will have less difficulty integrating the systems, making sure they work properly; it'll require less maintaince and be less costly to repair; and lastly, enhancing organic bodies will always put it at a higher cost due to various circumstances related to the science and biology of the subject in question, genetically engineered or not.

I mean, think of it like this. Everyone's organic here, right? It's taken a long time for us to even get a grasp on how to replace limbs with prosthetics, bionics, that sort of thing, and taken a whole hell of a lotta money to do it.

But you can upgrade your computer rig, and were able to do so LONG before that and it is WAY less expensive than replacing a lost limb. Pit that on a thirty-storey scale and suddenly, costs skyrocket.

Even should, hypothetically, the enhancement place it above, it is unlikely to be adopted except in rare cases, for Newtype-like situations and pilots, or for specially designed forces because it is WAY too high a cost. Mass production would be near impossible, I think, though that itself would depend on the production values of the traditional mech vs the organic mech.
>>
>>13063750
Is it organic if the only organs are muscle while the rest is robert.
What would gunparade March's mecha be then?
>>
>>13105858

What about a smaller mech or something around the 3 meter mark ?
>>
>>13105858

What if the one organic mecha is easily worth several traditional ones in terms of capabilities ?
>>
>>13063726
If you can mine the asteroid belt and the
gas giants resources will be virtually limitless.
>>
>>13107156

That sounds like it would be more trouble than it is worth.
>>
>>13107306

And a tad bit expensive as well.
>>
>>13105858

If Biotechnology progresses enough couldn't it reach a point where manufacturing them could cheap or easily done ?
>>
To be fair does an organic mech have to have organs ?

Couldn't it simply just be bio matter and cybernetics?
>>
>>13100286

I believe Guyver is about it unless there are some that aren't as well known.
>>
File: Lilith_with_Lance.png (148KB, 333x480px) Image search: [Google]
Lilith_with_Lance.png
148KB, 333x480px
Is Lillith considered a biomecha?
>>
>>13117682
no, but the Evas certainly are

Incidentally, why the hell do they run on batteries? other than to create dramatic time limits for battles
>>
>>13117697

Well since they are cyborgs, something has to power the additional systems.
>>
>>13117697

Even biological organisms have to run on some kind of energy, for the Angels it was the core, and Unit-01 has the S2 organ.
>>
>>13117697

Because Energizer is the cheapest way to power your eldritch abomination turned mecha on a budget ?
>>
>>13117697
because otherwise Ultraman has a very limited runtime
>>
>>13117682

I thought that was a living organism.
>>
Any thoughts on miniature organic mecha or pilot suits ?
>>
Wouldn't the materials to build an organic mech be easier to acquire?

Bio Matter seems to be easier to acquire than metal alloy.
>>
>>13063726
I prefer traditional mechs that are fueled by the blood of orphans.
>>
>>13091158
To be fair if you are in the middle of a battle you can hardly take the time to repair shit anyway unless it was a arm or leg or something you can quick fix.
it would do good for interplanetary type of things if it's basically run off a pure nutrient slush or pellets whatever you can have just one or two ships in the fleet make enough for the whole army and once you get the process down likely grow them faster than producing things once you take into account having to harvest and process the building supplies on the go from plant to planet etc.
Done right they would be super cheap basically that would be the appeal to me in regards to a sicfi military type deal.

So if there was a big battle and one got damaged really bad they would just cycle them out or you could have like a way to swap out bodies i guess basically a organic computer switch it off take it out put it in a fresh one switch it on.

but it is viable.
>>
>>13122314
A bunch of mecha are comprised of ceramic alloy though.
>>
File: image5.png (1MB, 1360x480px) Image search: [Google]
image5.png
1MB, 1360x480px
One thing I can say for regular Mecha, they usually never require any odd or complicated measures like this.

I'm not even seeing how this would be ideal or effective in a combat situation.
>>
>>13123869

Or how it wouldn't be laughed at for that matter.
>>
>>13123869
Well, in that case, they needed equipment specially for magma diving, and they never accounted for the angel hatching during the catch, so it was never really designed for combat in mind.
>>
>>13125135

I still believe they could have come up with a more creative solution than that.

It seems kind of lazy.

But then again I suppose simplicity is the best answer.
>>
>>13123869

Though I suppose that has some versatility as the Organic Mecha can just change equipment without having to alter the actual unit itself.
>>
>>13123603

Maybe it could acquire nutrients from the environment around it if its interplanetary ?
>>
>>13128561

Or energy.
>>
>>13128064
There's no reason you shouldn't be able to put equipment on an inorganic mecha.
>>
>>13130505

If it is inorganic then they can just build the features into the unit or refit it.
>>
>>13130531
Why not have built-in weapons/features and easily swapped out equipment?
>>
>>13130626

Well I suppose that is true.

But anytime you are building a Mech for a Mech or something like this >>13123869 it may be time to re-examine your design philosophy.
>>
>>13063726
They are both fictional things, anon. They stack up however the fuck the creator of the piece of fiction they're from says they do.
>>
>>13130626

Define "easily swapped out".
>>
File: 1326954599709.jpg (295KB, 1439x900px) Image search: [Google]
1326954599709.jpg
295KB, 1439x900px
>>13131607
Like Armored Core, where weapons are swapped and dropped with relative ease, being mounted on a unit's back or shoulders, or handheld.
Armored Core V also let you change weapons mid-mission at times if I remember right.
>>
>>13131667

Now how does that work for armor though ?
>>
>>13131705
I didn't think about that one.
>>
>>13130775
>They are both fictional things, anon.

That doesn't stop use from having star trek vs star wars threads.
>>
Could they ever adapt evangelion technology to power-armor sized use ?

Or would wearing an "Angel" be something that would be considered un-needed or two dangerous ?
>>
>>13130760

I bet the training seminar for that would be funny when they break it down to the pilot.
>>
>>13133484
You're gonna have to define that a little better. Do you mean making a much smaller Angel and sitting inside of it somehow? Because if you tried to fit a human inside of an Angel that was even two or three times the size of a human, you'd be displacing much of their skeletal structure, musculature, organs, etc. and would be left with a heavy meat suit that, while most likely better than a human of similar size, is probably going to crunch your pilot's bones whenever it moves around. It'd be useful only for the AT Field, but even that might be negatively effected by having such a shit size.
>>
>>13131716

That is unless you can take the Zentraedi approach where you've designed a giant powersuit for a mecha sized being.

Come to think of it I believe in DYRL the Zentraedi mecha were organic to a certain degree (or at least their command fortress was).
>>
>>13133902

I guess eva power armor is thankfully out of the question then.
>>
>>13133902

Now if you were fighting anything other than an Angel would AT field size really matter ?
>>
>>13063760
The Gekkos don't shit exactly, it's how they get rid of the lactic acid that builds up in their synthetic muscles
>>
File: Mbf-p03-scale.jpg (114KB, 592x737px) Image search: [Google]
Mbf-p03-scale.jpg
114KB, 592x737px
>>13123869
>One thing I can say for regular Mecha, they usually never require any odd or complicated measures like this.

Yes they fucking do!
>>
>>13139091

That doesn't seem to compare to building a Mech sized diving suit however.
>>
>>13138527

They actually go into detail about that in the game proper ?
>>
>>13139091
>attaching optional standardized external modules using existing mounting points
>comparable to a fucking diving suit so your living ride doesn't suffocate
>>
>>13140393

I thought that was also so the unit itself wouldn't be damaged ?
>>
>>13140060
I don't think it's in the game, but rather some outside Kojima comment/concept art tidbit
>>
>>13142567

I always thought they changed out the fluids in a manner similar to changing a cars oil.
>>
Do you guys enjoy that text board /m/?
>>
>>13142699
They probably do for whatever fluids they need as input, but getting rid of lactic acid as it builds up would likely be the best method since, assuming they work like biological muscles, lactic acid buildup prevents the respiration process from producing energy in muscle cells
It's the same process that makes our muscles feel weak and tired after exerting them, as lactic acid builds up our muscles can't operate as efficiently and our body tells us "Hey, these muscles feel tired" as a way to get us to rest them and break down/filter the lactic acid

It's been years since I've learned this though, so I might have some terms screwed up
>>
>>13142917

I see.
>>
>>13142917

Was the GEKO program even all that useful ?
>>
>>13131716

Maybe if it is shield generators they can be implanted into the unit and removed after combat operations have ceased ?
>>
>>13144375
Well, they were considered to be very effective at urban combat (Assuming Snake and his crew weren't around) so I'd say yes
Even though they were basically first-gen, they were still used in the time frame of Metal Gear Rising, though I imagine the LX-8Q (Ok I don't remember their designation, but you know what I'm talking about) were gradually phasing them out
>>
>>13146069

In fact implants could be a thing.
>>
>>13131667

>Armored Core V also let you change weapons mid-mission at times if I remember right.

Now how does that work ?
>>
>>13150457
They bring in extra equipment and such using the same helicopter they use for your initial deployment if I remember right.
>>
>>13150461

And no one is trying to shoot it down ?
>>
>>13150889
Well, you'd clear the area beforehand before trying that. And if they failed to shoot down your helicopter the first time you deploy, they aren't going to after you're on the ground, making everything explode.
>>
File: nousjadeul-ger-dyrl-lineart2.gif (309KB, 900x694px) Image search: [Google]
nousjadeul-ger-dyrl-lineart2.gif
309KB, 900x694px
>>13135005

It appears their mecha were too as well.
>>
File: iwillviolateyou.jpg (124KB, 1024x1050px) Image search: [Google]
iwillviolateyou.jpg
124KB, 1024x1050px
>>13142917
I perfectly understand what you are saying, however,Lactic acid builds up because the cell is not getting enough oxygen for the respiration process to take place. So it switches to anaerobic energy process. This process develops a lot of waste products. The waste products are what makes the cell slower and sluggish. So the recovery process occurs and the waste is removed through the lysosomes. So the main problem is removing of the waste products, delivering of oxygen, and providing of energy. If those were fixed up the biomech would have a lot longer run time then conventional mechs, excluding nuclear reactors.

Second, nature is a hell of an engineer. Biomolecules tend to be a lot more complex and have an unfathomable amount of combinations as opposed to inorganic compounds. This leads to some things in nature being even stronger than iron or steel. Look at anamal, spider silk, limpet teeth. Some other synthesized biomolecules are stronger then Kevlar and weigh less. I don't think you guys are giving nature and biomechs enough credit.
>>
>>13063726
What show is this?
>>
File: 1440664457196.webm (265KB, 486x500px)
1440664457196.webm
265KB, 486x500px
The thing about biomechs is that replacing shit on the fly, like swapping arms and legs, might be a bit harder because if you're going to do that, you might as well build a metal mech. You are less likely to have that kind of modular design.

Biomechs might be possible if you have extensive and well-tuned fabrication systems that can pump out one as fast, or faster than, a a metal mech (see the Kaiju factory in Pacific Rim), in which case most of your tech is organic anyway.

I mean if all of your shit is grown/woven/hatches out of eggs, your mechs will probably follow suit.
>>
>>13068345

Yeah, usually organic mechs are easily damaged, but can regenerate to make up for it.
>>
>>13100250

The only advantage I could think of would be that in order to achieve the same articulation, range of movement and fluidity, the limbs would be based on organic ones but with synthetic materials.

So structured like an organic creature (bones, ligaments, muscles) but made from better materials (ceramics, carbon nanotubes, silicone). Similar to cyborgs in the Metal Gear series, synthetic biology.
>>
>>13152678
Both Robotech: The New Generation, and the original anime that got rolled into Robotech: Genesis Climber MOSPADEA.
>>
Are Nova (Freezing) counted as biomecha?
>>
File: Blaster voltekka.jpg (249KB, 800x539px) Image search: [Google]
Blaster voltekka.jpg
249KB, 800x539px
Biomecha, you say?
>>
>>13154753

Not sure what that is.
>>
>>13155219
best be trolling
>>
>>13155260

What ?
>>
>>13151998

Well I thought the main advantage nature had was that it was easier to acquire and more readily available than ore and minerals you'd normally have to mine for.
>>
>>13121376
You mean like Guyver suits? Or something bigger, like syncing with the Vajra?
>>
>>13157906

>Guyver suits?

Sure or something slightly bigger.

> Vajra

The what?
>>
>>13100710
We don't mention that name in this house
>>
>>13160450

Why Not ?
>>
>>13160393

In fact something around the 3-3.5 meter mark.
>>
>>13162711

Or whatever it is for power armor these days.
>>
>>13157906
>>13160393

Or "syncing" for that matter.
>>
>>13152920

So like the Androids from the Alien series?
>>
>>13170143

Or "synthetics" as they're called.
>>
>>13154732

>Nova (Freezing)

What are those?
>>
File: snackio.jpg (1MB, 2282x1750px) Image search: [Google]
snackio.jpg
1MB, 2282x1750px
Jakioh is cute!
>>
>>13176494

That is interesting.
>>
>>13176494

Not sure what that is.
>>
>>13180421
Eva and Shin Getter's big brother
>>
File: S-class.png (2MB, 1200x862px) Image search: [Google]
S-class.png
2MB, 1200x862px
>>13176441

These tall critters.
>>
>>13180666

Those seem to have the Bayonetta vibe to them.
>>
>>13176494

I thought that was a Kaiju stage for a moment.
>>
File: Unknown-Class.png (585KB, 743x569px) Image search: [Google]
Unknown-Class.png
585KB, 743x569px
>>13182987

First of all, what part of "tall critters' didn't you get. Second, here's another pic.
>>
>>13184787

I meant vibe as in aesthetically they slightly resemble the citizens of Pardisio in Bayonetta.
>>
>>13185293

Okay, I get what you mean. Sorry, and thanks.
>>
>>13180666
>>13184787

Why is it that Mankind can never have positive contact with Macro life ?
>>
How might an organic mech work underwater?
>>
>>13190949

Or could you engineer one with more natural grace underwater than a regular machine?
>>
>>13180621

>Shin Getter's

Not quite sure what that is.
>>
File: 1423332510830.png (297KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1423332510830.png
297KB, 640x480px
>>13193901
Skull Killer Jakioh
>>
File: 1433069181048.png (475KB, 741x1049px) Image search: [Google]
1433069181048.png
475KB, 741x1049px
>>13193943
Oh, wrong image
>>
>>13194031

Looks like someone has made some serious gains there.
>>
>>13155219
Blaster Tekkaman blade.
>>
>>13196643

I see.
>>
Would an Organic Mech be easier to hide from detection equipment ?
>>
>>13201518

Since it is organic that means it may not have a lot of the electronics you could normally scan for.
>>
>>13152737

>the Kaiju factory in Pacific Rim

The what ?
>>
File: LeviathanGrandMapBIG.jpg (2MB, 1600x1311px) Image search: [Google]
LeviathanGrandMapBIG.jpg
2MB, 1600x1311px
>>13063726

This thread makes me think of Scott Westerfield's Leviathan series.
>>
I wonder how the reflexes of an organic machine would be compared to a traditional one.
>>
>>13152737

What if its easier to just scrap the unit and make a new one rather than replacing parts ?
>>
>>13206582
"oh this seems cool"
>look it up
>young adult novels

DROPPED
R
O
P
P
E
D
>>
>>13209289

I'm not seeing why but to each their own I suppose.
>>
File: german_war_walkers.jpg (520KB, 1463x934px) Image search: [Google]
german_war_walkers.jpg
520KB, 1463x934px
>>13209289

I found it entertaining myself.

Has some interesting designs in the background as well.
>>
File: terminatorremastered5541.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
terminatorremastered5541.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>13063750
I always wondered if a Terminator could eat or shit, myself.

I feel like it would definitely help them blend in if they could do both, even if they didn't need to.
>>
>>13209289
i dunno man
you are posting this on a board that's mainly about cartoons
>>
>>13209538

To be honest their purpose doesn't require any of that as assassination is the only function they have and they are usually powerful enough to do it directly.
>>
Technically, attack on titan is about human kind being defeated by organic mechs.
>>
>>13209685
Are all of them organic mecha including the goofy looking normal ones or just the special kinds like the MC or that blonde bitch?
Only seen the anime, not really interested in catching up with the manga.
>>
How might shapeshifting organic mechs work ?
>>
>>13209289

My only complaint with it was the lack of detail on the actual war effort.
>>
>>13209685
>>13209693

I thought they were all just mutant life?
>>
>>13084943
In some traditional self-healing material applications (not biological processes in the body), all the shit necessary to repair damage exists in the material already.

Let's say I snap a thin piece of aluminum in two. I've disrupted its structure, but I haven't transformed any part of it from aluminum to something else, nor have I lost any material (no crumbs falling away). If I push these two pieces back together, they're not going to reform their bonds. In this particular example, it wouldn't even be aluminum touching aluminum at this point, but oxides that form on the outer layer of the metal. If this were in space and the break was exceptionally clean, then pushing them back together would cold weld it back into one piece, but that's a whole other bag of marbles.

In a capsular material, we hide little bubbles of shit all throughout the material's structure. When that material is damaged and the capsules are broken and exposed to air, their contents leak out and can perform a number of functions; they might induce a chemical and/or thermal change in the surrounding material that 'melts' and reforms things, or they might expand many times on contact with oxygen and fill the void left by the damaging, filling the hole and adhering the two sides together.

There are also vascular materials which rely on a network of tiny tubes that run all throughout the material, and the stuff inside works as above. This has the advantage that repeated damage to the area re-exposes the vascular network again, allowing you to repair the damage many times over as long as your central reservoir of this healing agent holds up. So this is something you could just refill.

Then there are materials for which reestablishing bonds is a natural process of their chemical make-up. You break them, stick them back together, and they readhere not completely unlike cold-welded metal does.
>>
>>13214063
One big advantage of some of these materials is they have the potential to resist eventual catastrophic structural failure by repairing between blows.

Imagine slamming a wooden board, or a rock, or a sheet of metal with a hammer. You don't plow right through on the first hit. Each blow introduces microfractures, gradually weakening the material. With every hit, you create new fractures, break new bonds, and deepen existing fractures from earlier blows. If these microfractures are being repaired between hits, you suddenly stop making (good) progress.
>>
>>13205741
The kaiju in PR weren't random monsters walking around on some other planet or the bottom of the ocean who decided to fuck us up one day. They were grown in vats by a separate race of creatures to be living weapons. The aliens tinkered with the designs over time to counter human strategies and capabilities.
>>
>>13214084

I see.

I didn't see that movie so that is a surprise to me.
>>
>>13214170
You should. There's some pretty great robot fightan.
>>
>>13214187

One of the things I heard about it that I thought was funny was that one of the individuals on there was using some Kaiju extract to treat erectile dysfunction.

Kind of makes me wonder what medical advances they could make with Kaiju.
>>
>>13214246

But then again I heard they didn't last long so maybe that isn't such a good idea.
>>
>>13209548

Cartoons, Live Action, Comics, Novels and the like concerning Mecha.
>>
>>13214063
>>13214078

What about damage that results in loss of biomass ?
>>
>>13214084

I'd be looking into acquiring that Factory then.
>>
>>13214063
>>13214078

Interesting.
>>
>>13138527
Man, they should spray it at enemies or something then.
>>
>>13219417

I'm not sure how useful that would be.
>>
>>13209693
>>13214013
The Titans are all humans who have been turned into titans by a mysterious creature called the "Beast Titan." The human body remains in the nape of the titan's neck (hence why you have to slit their neck to kill them; upon death the body just dissolves into the rest of the Titan mass which is why nobody found out sooner). Regular Titans can become self-aware by eating someone with Shifter powers.

There's a bunch of other explanation, the specifics of which I can't remember, but the upshot is that only the Shifters like Eren and the Female Titan (blonde bitch) are self-aware. The rest have humans inside them but aren't "piloted" by them, so they can't be considered mechs by any stretch.
>>
>>13160393
The Vajra are giant alien bugs from Macross Frontier. They're actually pretty chill.

What I meant by Syncing was just anotther term for being able to interface or directly connect to another life form and control. Maybe the JURIA system from Majestic Prince is anbwtter example?
>>
>>13221615

Oh I see.

Never really watched anything after the original Macross except for DYRL.
>>
>>13221638
It's pretty alright. Get some beer and chips and watch it when you have free time.
>>
>>13221647

I meant I never really watched anything else because I heard the Villains that came after didn't compare to those like Quamzin (this guy was funny), Lap Lamiz and Golg Boddole Zer from the original.

I also heard things get Meltran-centric in the later ones as well.
>>
>>13221663
It' more of a "Greatest Hits/Anniversary" edition. Only one Giant gets any real focus, and the enemies are different.

Go ahead and watch it, bruh.
>>
>>13221704

I don't know, a lot of the Macross after the original tend to disappoint me.
>>
So what would count as the anti-tank equivalent against organic mecha?
>>
>>13224518
Biological weapons?
>>
>>13224528

It might be immune to those.
>>
>>13224518
Electric weapons.
>>
>>13224601

Tesla Cannons then?
>>
How effective would regular anti-tank be on Organic Mecha.
>>
>>13225245
Im thinking that or maybe Buster Colliders.
>>
>>13226540

Well that would definitely be enough to give most things pause, organic or not.
>>
>>13224601
>>13225245
>>13226540

I guess that raises the question of whether or not you can stun an organic mecha.
>>
>>13221410

I know that but I thought they were all still Mutants in that they aren't what others in that world might call Human.
>>
>>13221704

>Only one Giant gets any real focus, and the enemies are different

I heard a lot of the enemies that come after the Zentraedi aren't as flavorful as those in the original Macross.
>>
>>13233039
The main antagonists are giant alium bugs, Frontier focuses mostly on the love triangle and a few off shoot characters.

It's an okay Mecha show, ai don't want to make it sound awesome or lame, it's decent. Alright.
>>
>>13235116

I see.
>>
>>13235116

>love triangle and a few off shoot characters.

That is why I was considering not watching it. I picked Macross for the battles, not the Romance.
>>
>>13224518

What about nano weapons?
>>
>>13242419

Or nanites that emit nerve disrupting shocks.
>>
>>13226061

Or various other weapons for that matter.
>>
>>13209685
humans are organic mechs though.
your brain is the pilot
>>
>>13244996
Is it still a mech if you can't exit it?
>>
>>13117697
>>13117814
>>13118377
They need to power the S2 engine, they can't allow it to activate on its own, doing that and piloting would cause the pilot to begin syncing with the EVA at dangerous levels, or risk awakening the EVA. The power cord is a means of circumventing this, and pumping power into the EVA through the organ but not out of it.
>>
>>13245455

I'm pretty sure there are examples of Mechs you can't leave.

I think the Steel Ronin and Desolator Troopers from Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 might be two examples.
>>
>>13245455
>>13245566

I think 40k embodies that concept with a unit or two.
>>
>>13248237

Or some units rather.
>>
>>13063726
The point of organic things is they're self sufficient. Organic materials aren't the most light or durable or whatever out there, but they can be made into and out of other organic materials by organs made out of the same organic materials.

To achieve such an effect you have to limit materials and technologies used and include a shitload of additional systems like regeneration.

A modern tank will wreck anything organic in existence, but it won't do jack shit without huge logistical support. Crocodiles, on the other hand, exist on their own since fucking forever and don't give a shit about anything that's not food.

So, as long as you can provide your mecha with all the available support, machinery is better. Organics are better where logistics become hard.
>>
>>13249393

>The point of organic things is they're self sufficient.

Well not only that but I've always thought that biomass is easier to acquire than ore is depending on how you look at it.
>>
So can you consider non-humanoid designs in regard to organic mecha?
>>
>>13254823

Or non humanoid organic power-armor for that matter.
>>
>>13238987
Frontier has more fights than SDF. Take that as you will. It takes everything up to 11. More romance, more music, more fights. If you can tolerate the former two, you'll be rewarded with the latter.
>>
>>13245541
No Evangelion units have S2 engines. It is explicitly stated that they couldn't develop them, even though NERV tried. That's why they took apart Ramiel and used its core to develop a prototype S2 engine for Unit 04, which was sabotaged. Everyone was surprised that SEELE managed to complete the S2 engines in the EVA series too.

Do you even know what the fuck you're talking about?
>>
>>13259149

The enemies in frontier don't really interest me though.
>>
>>13260257
Frontier has dogfights against other VFs too. You wanted more fights, there are more fights.
>>
>>13260965

Yes but the individuals they are fighting are, from what I've gathered, lacking in personality or character.
>>
>>13262854
You wanted FIGHTS. You didn't say anything about individuality or character, just that you wanted more fights. If you want fights against antagonists with personality or character, I'd actually argue that Macross isn't for you at all.

Also, the final boss is the Vajra controlled by a human. So again, take that as you will.
>>
>>13262947

I don't know, I found Quamzin and Lap Lamiz were pretty entertaining for villains in the original Macross.

They were definitely entertaining.

Was also kind of nice to see the Zentraedi stumble around the whole culture thing.
>>
>>13262966
Well, if you want to see how they've adapted to CULTUREEEEEE, they have that in Frontier too.
>>
>>13260965

>VFs

To be honest I've never found those to be all that interesting.

The Zentraedi units are why I stayed for the show.

>>13262969

I meant the enemy Zentraedi.

They're reaction to it during the first show was kind of humorous.
>>
best bio mecha

https://youtu.be/xinvbAwyYFI?t=304
>>
>>13262979
I'll agree to disagree then, if I can't convince you.
>>
>>13263109

I will admit my opinion could change on it.

Could also be Nostalgia on my part given I heard none of the Zentraedi (male) units are ever featured again in Macross and that even when males are featured, they are they're using the female Queadluun (even if it is better I just can't ever imagine any Zentraedi male using it, it seems unnatural).
>>
>>13263155
>I will admit my opinion could change on it.
Knock that shit off, your on /m/
>>
>>13263242

What?
>>
>>13262984

Interesting.
>>
>>13263155

I also heard things get really Meltrancentric on the giant end of things.
>>
>>13259159

So geometrically aligned EVAs then?
>>
Depending on how its built how might void affect organic mecha?
>>
>>13271156
Extremely low pressure and the subsequent moisture loss would be your biggest concerns, really
>>
>>13271495

If it suffered a rupture, is there a chance it could seal itself or regenerate the damage automatically?
>>
>>13271495

How might low pressure affect it?
>>
>>13275182
Constant pressure is needed to let blood supply animal cells, and part of the reason why spacesuits are so large and unwieldy to move in is all the air pressure/composition regulation
>>
>>13275523

Does that mean the unit would have to have large and unwieldy regulation systems installed over or in them?
>>
>>13276863
Not necessarily if the organic parts don't need a blood-like fluid to perform their function
>>
>>13276905

So synthetic fluids of a different consistency could circumvent that?
>>
>>13065937
What about Alca-Noise?
>>
Tsumugi can be piloted.
>>
>>13277262

Have not seen that.

Seen cosplay of her but I have not seen whatever show she comes from as of yet.
>>
>>13277301
She's from Knights of Sidonia.
Although she can be piloted she has her own mind and is only piloted in the beginning
>>
>>13277262
>>13277329

It'd be interesting if they made organic power armor that looked like her.
>>
>>13277408

Might be slightly effeminate though.
>>
>>13277213

>Alca-Noise?

The way?
>>
>>13279408

>The way?

I meant "the what?"
>>
>>13276995

Or thicker consistency.
>>
>>13277262
>>13277408

Or a minimech.
>>
File: Tsumugi.jpg (41KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Tsumugi.jpg
41KB, 1280x720px
>>13279073
Not necessarily. Tsumigi has a talking penis.
>>
File: Jaki_2_095.png (800KB, 651x1049px) Image search: [Google]
Jaki_2_095.png
800KB, 651x1049px
>>13176494
Jakioh has raws now!
>>
>>13288474

What the....
>>
>>13288480

Interesting.
>>
>>13288474

So the mech is more well hung than the pilot is?
>>
>>13063729
this
>>
>>13293002

I suppose that is true.
>>
If an organic Mecha or Powersuit has tentacles does that mean you have extra attacks over a traditional mecha if you're in close combat?
>>
File: 1442293671405.jpg (370KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1442293671405.jpg
370KB, 1440x1080px
>this thread has been up for 46 days
I mean I know /m/ is slow but fuck
>>
>>13297717

I know one that has been up 1/3rd of a year on another board.
>>
>>13297717

It happens.
>>
>>13297742
Off the top of my head /t/ has threads that are over a year old.
>>
>>13300021

Well Torrents are a major thing.
>>
>>13297742

/vr/ i guess.
>>
>>13300040

I see.
>>
>>13300021

Don't some of the NSFW threads last for a bit?
>>
>>13306124
I remember seeing one /h/ thread that lasted a year and a few days
That shit takes dedication though
>>
>>13308398

Well if the love the topic it will be around for a while.
>>
>>13308398

Those must be some slow boards.
>>
>>13288480

Was not aware of what that series was.
>>
>>13279073
>>13288474

I still doubt most males would go along with an effeminate, sentient biosuit.
>>
>>13063750
>Organic mecha
>Gets better with use
>Can learn, improve
>Literal "software" changes (genetics) can alter the properties of the physical function
>Can self repair anywhere there is biomass and water
>In many environments, no need for supply-chain
>Operational lifespan measured in decades

>Traditional mech
>Corrodes
>Fractures, splits
>Wiring failures
>Worsens with general use
>Requires inspections between sorties to ensure there are no catastrophic failures during combat
>Tiny problems in a single system destroy the entire thing
>Serious problems with thermal management
>Needs specific fuels
>Needs expertise to not only repair but also to identify problems
>Needs specific components, parts and tools to repair
>Operational lifespan measured in years and months, or even hours if it is unable to repair itself

Your fundamental mistake: Not realising an organic mecha isn't just vertebrae structures but also invertebrae, plant-life, bacterial and even micillium, all genetically engineered to do exactly what they need to do on demand.

An organic mecha *IS* the future of a traditional mech: Organics which grow synthetic structures like computers and circuitry through whatever medium we really need are where technology IS going to go.

Eventually, organics will be the curator of technology. Designer Organics *ARE ALREADY* nano-technologies.
>>
>>13315914

What if their lifespan is longer than decades?
>>
Organic/Metal hybrids are the best.
>>
>>13319018

Well they do offer something different.
>>
>>13063726
Demonbane beats both
>>
>>13321027

The what?
>>
>>13319018

Always wanted to see a powersuit like that.
>>
>>13325303

Or a minimech.
>>
>>13315914

How would an organic one handle thermal management?
>>
>>13328593

Or vent heat for that matter.

Come to think of it that might make an interesting attack.
>>
>>13331325

Or venting electricity for that matter.
>>
>>13105858

Aren't most organic mechs small?
>>
>>13209538

They are built to be able to eat and digest purely for the purpose of blending in with people better.
>>
>>13328593
>>13331325
We have these things called sweat glands
>>
>>13335850

No there have been some larger ones.

The Scrin units in Command and Conquer are quite large for example.

The Migou mecha can also be towering in Cthulhutech.
>>
>>13335986

The Zentraedi and Invid ones are pretty large as well.
>>
>>13070165

>implying Artmic had anything to do with Macross

Not really, but Macross, Orguss, Mospeada, and Southern Cross were all produced by Tatsunoko. Artmic only did Mospeada, wherein Macross and Orguss were Studio Nue. Southern Cross was Tatsunoko and Anemone.
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.