[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /m/ I'm trying to understand the mass appeal of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 17

File: we_are_leejun.expect_us.jpg (309KB, 1840x1000px) Image search: [Google]
we_are_leejun.expect_us.jpg
309KB, 1840x1000px
Alright /m/ I'm trying to understand the mass appeal of mecha.
Aside from gundam series, macross, patlabor and gunbuster, I'm seeing a lot of lack luster shows.
Aquarion, Tiger and bunny, code geass, gravion, vandread, etc. All pretty bad imo.

Am I just watching shitty shows or are mechs not for me? Why do most shows have great looking robots ruined by half assed cgi?
>>
>>12538129
90% of mecha is crap because 90% of everything is crap.
>>
>>12538129
New mecha shows usually sucks
>>
>>12538139
So do I just need to pick up more series from the 90s and older or are even 90s /m/ shitty?
>>
>>12538129
Mecha doesn't really have mass appeal, though, and hasn't had it for a good long while. It's a niche genre that's produced a few big crossover hits that succeeded, well, not in spite of the robots, but because they had merits beyond just the robots.

Some people can't get it up if a show doesn't have robuts in it. You're just not one of those people?

Also, watch Giant Robo for sure, and maybe try Armored Trooper Votoms.
>>
>>12538129
check out Aldnoah Zero
>>
>>12538136
It just makes life harder for us /m/echaheads.
>>
File: cthulhutech 8bit.png (12KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
cthulhutech 8bit.png
12KB, 320x240px
>>12538129
>the mass appeal of mecha.

Giant
Fucking
Robots
>>
>>12538146
>>12538129
>macross, patlabor and gunbuster
>80s
>>12538129
>Aquarion, Tiger and bunny, code geass, gravion, vandread
>post 2000
Do you see the difference?
>>
>>12538129
Like any shounen, it's a power fantasy. What kid (or kid at heart) WOULDN'T want their very own giant robot?

>Tiger and bunny
But that was great. What are on about?
>>
>Some people can't get it up if a show doesn't have robuts in it. You're just not one of those people?
That's the thing though, I love me some robots while watching some of the shows I listed I loved every minute of it. Some of the others while having robots had major problems with the rest of the show that overshadowed them. Ass backwards stories, shitty art, etc.

>>12538199
Please tell me people don't sit through these garbage series just for the robots.

>>12538217
So are there are no good modern robots? Are there anymore modern gems like TTGL out there?
>>
Since you liked Gunbuster, check out Nadia. It's one of the best shows of the 90s, and underrated here on /m/.
>>
>>12538129
>Alright /m/ I'm trying to understand the mass appeal of mecha.

There is no "mass appeal" of mecha. Mechs are merely part of the setting in any world. Any show can have the mecha replaced with jet fighters or boxing gloves and the end result would still be the same. How mechs are portrayed is no different than how any superpower can be portrayed.

People like mecha the same way they like icing on a cake.
>>
>>12538233
>what are on about
That one had an OK story but the art style was horrid. Unless you get a pixar budget cgi really shouldn't be used in my book.
>>
>>12538243
While that is true, a boxing anime has a different approach than most mechas. As others are saying the appeal is robots remove them and is not /m/. But as op is saying mechs don't make the show alone.
>>
>>12538217

There are plenty of shows worse than macross, patlabor and gunbuster in the 1980s though.
>>
>>12538241
>So are there are no good modern robots? Are there anymore modern gems like TTGL out there?
My shit taste incoming
G-Reco,GBF,King Gainer,Expelled from Paradise,Daimidaler and MJP
>>
>>12538243
I don't know about you but Getter Robo would have been very different if Ryoma, Hayato and Musashi butt fucked each other while fighting dinosaurs
>>
>>12538241
>gems like TTGL out there?
Now this is shitposting
>>
>>12538315
They could have just been three superpowered individuals who have to utilize the power of TEAMWORK to beat dinosaurs. With Michiru occasionally trying to help and accomplishing literally fuck all for the entire show.

Ryoma even has his GETTA KICK on and Hayato is in no way a normal human (dude once backflipped, like, 300 meters away and a good distance up. That's not normal) so they're partway there.
>>
>>12538250
If you can't stand CGI, you're in for a rough time with modern mecha anime. It's basically the reason the genre's still viable at all.

And Tiger and Bunny had solid CGI for television animation. They even put in the work of hand-animating the characters faces! The only goofy part was the non-mecha heroes like Fire Emblem and that dragon girl being CG.
>>
>>12538319
>implying gurren wasn't a good show
>implying gurren wasn't one of the best mecha shows that aired in while when it came out
Maybe him calling it a gem is a stretch but it's way better than some of that other shit op listed.
>>
>>
>>12538186
Where should one start in the VOTOMs series?
When I check nyaa there are a bunch of different sub series of the show
>>
That said, I think we all know the reason we like mecha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koesW3xMKtY
>>
>>12538339
>If you can't stand CGI, you're in for a rough time with anime
FTFY, Anon.

If CGI is that bothersome, then chances are you're going to have to pick a new medium, because the use of CGI in anime has nowhere to go but up.

>>12538289
>G-Reco
>GBF
>MJP
Wow, Anon. Really?
I agree with you.
>>
>>12538374
If it can only go up that's a good thing. Eventually it will become something that isn't total shit. At the moment, it's total shit.
>>
>>12538371
Original 1983 Armored Trooper Votoms series to start out with. If you like it, watch the rest in production order.
>>
>>12538404
CGI overall has regressed, though. Ten years ago there was CGI of much better quality than what typically appears in anime, and that's because a lot of the "shit CGI" we see in anime these days is the way it is because it's being used for convenience and cost, not for quality.

Sidonia and MJP are good examples of CGI done better, but neither is perfect. I can't help but think that there's a big gap in the progression of CGI quality, and that the best of modern CGI should be much better than it is. Especially when you look back at shows like IGPX, it doesn't seem like much has changed overall.
>>
>>12538315
That would be like Aquarion, but good!
>>
File: Ersha_s_Ragna_mail.jpg (114KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Ersha_s_Ragna_mail.jpg
114KB, 1280x720px
>>12538453
Too add to that, 2001 cgi was amazing if use final Fantasy the spirits within as an example, but that's with a huge budget. Avatar from 2010(?)was another example of promising cgi.

However those both had insane budgets if they were an anime series. And when cgi is used it's to cut costs not take all the series money. So we get cheaply made passable cgi. Like pic to the left.

While it may look good it's nothing compared to the high budget cgi that reflects the advances that have been made to the medium. A similar scene if hand drawn for that same cost would look just as bad for other reasons.
If this image was done the same way as an ova like stardust memory my boner would never go down.
>>
File: 1427966331651.gif (3MB, 234x170px) Image search: [Google]
1427966331651.gif
3MB, 234x170px
>>12538371
>Where should one start in the VOTOMs series?
With Fang of the Sun: Dougram
>>
>>12538241
>Please tell me people don't sit through these garbage series just for the robots.
If it has cool robots and cool robot action, then yeah.
But usually shit writing and shit production go hand in hand.
>>
>>12538453
>Ten years ago there was CGI of much better quality than what typically appears in anime

Ten years ago someone made Zoids Fuzors though.

>>12538503
FF:TSA was a MOVIE. You can't compare a movie to a series, even if they both were given the same budget one has to pace that out over 2 hours and the other over something more like 5.
>>
>>12538655
>FF:TSA was a MOVIE
No shit, I'm guessing you didn't see where he said
>that's with a huge budget
Of course a movie will have a better budget than the average run of the mill anime.
Its safe to assume you missed the point of his comment:
CGI its self isn't bad looking, you just need a very large budget, and when anime resorts to it its to save money. The end result being total garbage that doesn't properly reflect the current cgi state. When people say CGI is bad its not a totally accurate statement. Its cheap CGI that looks bad.
>>
This thread makes me wonder if LOGH would've been better with mecha instead of Spartans and Valks...

I could see why mecha could be a turn off for people though. From a hard sci-fi standpoint it just doesn't make much sense and they make everything else look useless by comparison. Whatever happened to combined arms?
>>
File: TIGER...BUNNY.full.1803421.jpg (717KB, 950x1000px) Image search: [Google]
TIGER...BUNNY.full.1803421.jpg
717KB, 950x1000px
>>12538129
>Tiger and Bunny
>bad
You're a funny guy, Anon.
>>
>>12538845
Guess you can't read, see >>12538250
>>
>>12538129
hmmm
i think that yes a lot of mecha shows are bad
but a lot of the actual mecha in them are good
and thats what we we're all here on /m/
because we love moving bits of metal
>>
>>12538129
Aquarion was pretty cool

It's like Ideon with OSORE AND 12,000 YEARS GO TIGHT
>>
>>12538129
>Vandread
>Obarion
>DRIBBLE AND QUALITY
>Top and Bottom

>bad
>>
>>12538129
There are a couple reasons. One of them is that Giant Robots are the combination of the souls of man with machine to create the tools that will build the future of all of mankind. Someday, the roads our fathers built for us will simply run out. At that point it will be our duty to build the roads that lead into the future, for us and the next generation. Those roads will be built on the shoulders of giants, giants made of metal.

There is also this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwO9PSe-uG4
>>
>>12538241
>modern gems like TTGL
That's like saying the Prequels were a modern Gem for rehashing Star Wars
>>
>>12539851
How exactly?
>>
>>12538129
Outside of Gundam, patlabor, macross, ttgl, and a couple small OVA series thats about the best /m/ has to offer.
>>
>lack luster
>vandread
>posts F91 pic
>>
>>12538129
>Aquarion
>Gravion
>Gonzo and Satelight QUALITY studios
There's your problem.

I liked the others, but that's just me I guess.

I'd say just lurk around the threads for recs and such, the 70s/80s general has some nice gems I hadn't heard about until now, and there's always the thread for both airing and old shows that are worth checking out.

>>12538242
Isn't Nadia well liked overall here? I generally see mostly positive opinions about it whenever we have a thread about it.
>>
>>12545784
I think the general opinion on Nadia is "Good show, but Nadia is an insufferable bitch"
>>
>>12538370

Figures a Murruefag would say that.

It's true, but if you can't figure out why you like something, odds are you're an idiot and/or pretty inarticulate.
>>
>There are people on /m/ who don't recognize Vandread as utter shit
/m/ always finds new ways to disappoint me.
>>
>>12538372
Get with the times, gramps.

They like Bieber and One Direction now.
>>
>>12538129
>Aside from gundam series, macross
Those are the only good franchises, everything else is just laser spam and yelling attacks with their robots.
>>
Watch Shin Mazinger, it's literally everything you could wish for in a mecha show.
>>
>>12545865
Piss poor pacing? Awkward dialogue? A confused tone?
>>
Believe in getter and it will all make sense
>>
>>12545865
Shin Mazinger is my favorite anime, but I'd say that's an exaggeration. The show isn't for everyone. I can understand why someone might not like it.

Of course, >>12545878 is a moron. But there are people who dislike the show and can explain why without making themselves look like idiots.
>>
>>12538129
You've already fucked up when you think you can analyze mass appeal
>Aside from gundam series, macross, patlabor and gunbuster, I'm seeing a lot of lack luster shows.
>Aquarion, Tiger and bunny, code geass, gravion, vandread, etc. All pretty bad imo.
Nice opinions.

Honestly? You're just a moron judging from the content of your post.
>>
>>12545878
>confused tone
I hate when people don't realise that a show can have a shifting tone without being poorly written.
>>
>>12538129
>Tiger and Bunny
>Lackluster
Pepsi would like a word with you.
>>
>>12545891
>You're just a moron judging from the content of your post.
Nice opinion. Care to point out what possibly stands out about some of those series op wasn't a fan of? All I'm seeing from what you have there is an even bigger moron. Op could at least say why he didn't like them a couple posts later.

>>12546250
Coke is better, idc what Pepsi has to say.
>>
File: cute girl flips table.gif (2MB, 360x272px) Image search: [Google]
cute girl flips table.gif
2MB, 360x272px

Giant robots are cool. That;s really all you need to understand.
>>
>>12546756
So you sit through a show that is total shit just for some giant robots?
>>
File: liking things.jpg (13KB, 216x233px) Image search: [Google]
liking things.jpg
13KB, 216x233px
>>12546849
Of course.
>>
>>12546849
My favorite anime is MD Geist, there is no such thing as something too shitty for me to enjoy.
>>
File: MD Geist.jpg (2MB, 768x4190px) Image search: [Google]
MD Geist.jpg
2MB, 768x4190px
>>12546872
What did you like about Aquarion other than the robots?

>>12546895
Who said MD Geist was bad? Pic related.
>>
>>12547027
I can never get tired of that image.
>>
>>12547027
The mecha in Aquarion were shit.
>>
>>12547050
Thats what hes asking about. Do you watch **any** show with robots or is there something else you look for.
>>
>>12546849
/a/ sits through a ton of moe shit for waifus, we sit through a ton of shit for robots. Same difference.

Tell me honestly here, is there any scenario you can think of where adding a giant robot to it doesn't even marginally improve it in some way? A single one?
>>
>>12547103
Not him, but I try to watch good shows with robots in them. Just "Good Show with Robots" has been my criteria. I've watched mediocre shows because of the robots in them, and if nothing else I've found the /m/ related material in them satisfying enough on an aesthetic level even if the series itself wasn't.
>>
>>12547111
Before I answer this I want to make sure everyone knows I'm some one from /a/ who sits through waifu trash season after season. I pick up shows as they air, and drop them as they get dull or boring. I never said I don't like robots, and I really enjoyed the shows I listed in the op post.

/a/ drops shows all the time because of various reasons. Do you all on /m/ do the same, or just sit around hating a how but enjoying the robots?

>>12547139
>I've watched mediocre shows because of the robots in them,
Why?
>>
>>12547161
>Why?
Not that guy, but I've seriously found that having well-designed giant robots really improves my experience of shows a lot, even if it's mediocre (or hell, even bad).
>>
>>12547050
Not sure if troll or just really terrible taste.
>>
So many hostile posts to a simple fucking question. Had to make sure I didn't click /a/ for a second.
>>
>>12547161
Because it was recommended as a good show to me by other people, but I found it to be mediocre. Not bad enough to stop watching, not good enough for me to rewatch it. I've never dropped a show but I've never really found a show bad enough for me to drop outright, just ones I found middling or just got sidetracked from due to boredom. The robots are just bait to get my attention, the show itself usually is capable of holding it on its own merits.

>Do you all on /m/ do the same, or just sit around hating a show but enjoying the robots?

No, a lot of the time we just sit around talking about how much we hate the show AND the robots. Sometimes we love the show and hate the robots. I'd say there's more threads here than on /a/ by people who hate things but keep watching them anyway, but that's because you're dealing with a niche of a niche here. Less content means more people make do with the little they have.
>>
>>12538129
Code geass wasn't mainly about mechs
>>
>Mass appeal
There is a reason why /m/ is one of the slowest board on 4chan
Even the fucking origami board gets more traffic than us
>>
File: benkei-musashibo-2.png (103KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
benkei-musashibo-2.png
103KB, 250x250px
>giant robots
>mass appeal

it's one of the most niche genres out there, the majority of anime fans absolutely hate it even though they don't know why
>>
>>12547674
I suspect the slowness is because of how allowable it is to talk about mecha on other boards.

Mecha Anime or Manga? You can talk about it in /a/
Mecha Comic or Cartoon? /co/
Mecha Videogame? /v/ or /vg/
Mecha tabletop game? /tg/
Mecha movie or tv show? /tv/
Mecha novel or shortstory? /lit/
>>
>>12547859
I dunno about /vg/ but /v/ is too busy gossiping over twitter posts to talk about mecha games.
>>
>>12547764
I once knew someone who hated all mecha except Aquarion of all things, and they could never give me a reason why.
>>
>>12547674
>>12547764
OK within the fandom what is the mass appeal?
/m/ is also one of the most autistic boards apparently
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-05-04-21-41-04.png (131KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-05-04-21-41-04.png
131KB, 720x1280px
>>12547604
Did it have robots? Its mecha material
>>
>>12548175
They look cool
>>
>>12547604
>Code geass wasn't mainly about mechs
Neither is Patlabor. And long list of stuff.
>>
File: crucial design elements.jpg (133KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
crucial design elements.jpg
133KB, 640x960px
>>12548175
Holy shit how many times does someone have to answer you before you understand? The 'mass appeal' of mecha is obviously the mecha. It's the only appeal specific to the genre, in fact. Some people like cute girls a lot and will watch shows with cute girls in it, some people like robots a lot and will watch shows with robots in it
>>
File: 1308482861210.jpg (103KB, 640x351px) Image search: [Google]
1308482861210.jpg
103KB, 640x351px
>>12548175
>OK within the fandom what is the mass appeal?

The fucking robots holy shit.
>>
>>12538129
i actually enjoyed aquarion
>>
>>12548689
>>12548716
Holy shit this is my first post in the thread. How many times are people going to read "mass appeal" and then tell op how niche robots are.
>>
>>12548743
Other than the robots, what did you find good about that show?
Please tell me one person on this board can explain beyond "robots are cool, why don't you understand that".
>>
>>12548990
>within the fandom
>>
File: 1424308285235.gif (1MB, 346x261px) Image search: [Google]
1424308285235.gif
1MB, 346x261px
>>12548994
robots are cool, why don't you understand that?
>>
>>12538129
Something about clashing idealism and mechanical analogy turns me on, and for some reason mech shows have that more often than others.
>>
>>12538129
Maybe you dont like shounen or are getting old?

Are there any good seinen mecha shows?
>>
>>12551712
I do understand that. What part of "is there anything else about them you like" that is so hard to answer?

>>12551785
I love shonen though. I would be interested in some seinen mecha though

>>12551723
A real answer thank god. Based poster right here.
>>
The mecha is the ultimate expression of the knightly ideal. Sword, shield, and steed in one.
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.