[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Holy crap /m/. I started this show and fucking loved it up until

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7

File: n6765.jpg (187KB, 611x408px) Image search: [Google]
n6765.jpg
187KB, 611x408px
Holy crap /m/. I started this show and fucking loved it up until episode 8 where this shit starts happening. This great show where the battles were a little more "realistic" in a very broad sense on the term, and then it focuses all of a sudden on this love shit that I thought wouldn't come back until the last few episodes or something. But here we are. I feel like I know what road this is going down and I might as well quit while I'm ahead, but the series is so short I may as well finish it to say I did.

Totally wrecked my day and I just can't convey how stupid this show got in one episode. It literally went from my favorite to least favorite Gundam show in about 15 minutes. It could have been so much better but it decided to fuck up what was a perfectly fine little OVA with lots of pretty visuals and cool battles to behold. Good thing I can always watch the battles separately on youtube or something.

Am I alone on this? It starts out so strong and it fell apart so quickly.
>>
>>12522186
>Am I alone on this?
Nope, welcome to the club.
>>
welcome to the world of UC Ovas. great up until around halfway, maybe a little over, and then comes the complete drop.
>>
>>12522193
Except 0080, which is nothing without that ending.
>>
>>12522186

Heard of Daimos? If so, you might as well hate on that one's Star Crossed Lovers plot.
>>
>>12522193
>great up until around halfway
Hey, fuck you, Unicorn was never good!
>>
>>12522186
What happened was that the original director died during the production (he was in a car crash), and they had to scramble to try to finish it without him, and the production took a different direction that he probably intended. It sucks, but they did at least finish it.
>>
>>12522227
Except for the part where Daimos wasn't trying to market itself as ground-pounding military drama that then got hit with a dose of R&J style idealism.

Context is a factor here.
>>
>>12522272
>R&J style idealism
You people act like the very concept is bad. It's not, and that's not the reason the show took a downturn
It went bad because those concepts were executed in near the worst way possible and every good idea went to absolute shit because of incompetence.

Really, Gundam in a nutshell.
>>
>>12522272
>R&J style idealism
But R&J are stupid kids who die in the end.
>>
>>12522272

So, no Star Crossed Lovers plot in military dramas?
>>
>>12522186
>then it focuses all of a sudden on this love shit that I thought wouldn't come back until the last few episodes

08th is flawed for sure, and the change in direction is obvious, but I don't get this complaint. If it was held off until the last few episodes (there are only 11 real ones, and a 12th epilogue of sorts), wouldn't that be *more* sudden?

>>12522301
This. Stop faulting the concepts, and start blaming the execution.

08th MS Team should pretty much just be enjoyed for the technical detail and animation level above anything else. It's pretty much the last Gundam OVA to be beautifully well animated.
>>
File: 1375430851353.jpg (51KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1375430851353.jpg
51KB, 720x480px
>>12522258
>he was in a car crash
Fuck, that's depressing even if was a long time ago.

I can't help but wonder what his original plan for the ending was, and if it would have been something better than Mr Space AIDS' comic book villainry.
>>
>>12522363
Victory actually did a brief little one inside of one episode, where Usso and friends get stopped and boarded by a patrol and manage to capture one of the soldiers, while another (who's sweet on him) escapes. Later on, he manages to escape as well, and tries to rejoin his team, only to be assumed an enemy pilot who stole the machine. So he has to fight his love interest in the fog of war, gives her a mortal wound, and then the two of them share a brief dreamy moment right before they die.

And it didn't require ten episodes of angst or getting stranded on a random island.
>>
>>12522186
Who are these austistic dumbasses who can just fucking enjoy the ride and the romance at the same time. Is it really beyond the limits of your own stupidity just to fucking try and enjoy it?

Jesus. HUrr, not enuff robot fighting, fuck this character plot development shit...ugggh emotions I dont want feelings more pew pews.

Fucking UC gundam fans are worst.
>>
>>12522486

My mech anime can have emotions but it needs to be done right. Not only does the romance feel really stupid and forced, I get the feeling it was only put in there to hook people who need that romance shit to stay interested.

Also, you seem to suggest I hate character development. Shiro has absolutely no development of his character through this romance. He is a super idealistic piece of shit who does what he thinks is right regardless of whatever. He didn't need a Zeek to get that point across. Ainia hates her brother's bullshit. We also didn't need Shiro to know that. We could have followed them both separately and they could have ended up enemies who happen to understand hatred of the war. But no, let's make them super in love or whatever. It's garbage.
>>
File: 1422569494700.png (140KB, 500x270px) Image search: [Google]
1422569494700.png
140KB, 500x270px
>>12522486
Oh please, the romance in 08th is as compelling as the romance between Anakin and Padme in Attack of the clones. Is it that hard to believe that people like 08th for the "realism" and the animation?
>>
>>12522538
>08th MS Team is realistic
everytime I hear this.
>>
>>12523050
You know, Chucklefuck, it's relative.
Compare it to the rest of the franchise.
>>
I liked 08th MS Team's romance.
I didn't like 0083's, as nobody should.
>>
>>12523153
>Gundam
>realistic
heh
>>12523232
why does /m/ always sperg about the romance or story or even characters in 0083?
I liked them all.
>>
>>12523153
the rest of the franchise had boosters and minovsky craft not fucking spider gouf
>>
>>12523273
At the end where they all reunited, i was happy. I don't hate Nina, I just thought she had bizarre and terrible decision making. It was certainly a worse romance in terms of writing than 08th's, but it wasn't the worst. It only got really bad when her thing with Gato got brought up and she shot at Kou
>>
What exactly makes 08th more "real" than say, the first half of 00, or SEED?
>>
>>12523299
Yes, I have the same question. 08th ms team has nothing to do with realism. And it has nothing to do with the Vietnam War.
>>
>>12523299
Just the fact that it has a "solders eyes" perspective and is a bit more "gritty" i guess. It's not that much more realistic than any other one
>>
>Watched first episode
>Ball shrugs off machine gun fire and overpowers a Zaku
What the fuck
>>
>>12523700
It has SOME armor
Just not much
>>
The romance plot was annoying and forced but I got over it. Now 0083 romance plot, that just killed that ova for me. Aina is much better than Nina.
>>
>>12523808
It wasn't really that forced, they showed interest within thr first episode. And personally I was rooting for them to get together, in the scene where Aina is shot, i was actually on edge for a bit.

Helps that BOTH of them were reasonably likable
>>
File: nemo-juaggu.gif (371KB, 1275x721px) Image search: [Google]
nemo-juaggu.gif
371KB, 1275x721px
>>12522369
>It's pretty much the last Gundam OVA to be beautifully well animated.

You can shit on Unicorn all you want for the plot, but fuck you if you don't think the mecha animation was great.
>>
>>12523953
that image is so revolting in so many ways
>>
>>12523700
This is no ordinary ball boy, no ordinary ball!
>>
>>12523953
That's one of the better animated episodes, but something about the movement of the suits feels very "stilted". Then they decided to throw that shitshow episode 5 our way with the michelin man Unicorn in the atmosphere. Then there's the CGI transformations. Don't get me wrong, it's not *bad*, but considering the animation in say, ep 10 of 08th MS Team, or nearly all of 0083, or even worse, the PV for Unicorn, where the psycho-frame is animated beneath, almost breaking free, it just feels lifeless.
>>
>>12524055
On top of this, the animation wasn't so great that it necessitated YEARS of delays. The extension to episode 7 was announced around when, episode 4 or 5? It's not like they were about to release 6 and then said "shit, we need to extend this."
>>
>>12523953
I wish the Juaggu had cooler looking legs.

>>12523700
It was a close combat ball, it's designed to take a little more fire than the average ball and close in with the smaller but more rapid fire double barrel guns or some shit.
>>
File: capture_1989_27042015_000845.jpg (188KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
capture_1989_27042015_000845.jpg
188KB, 1920x1080px
Zaku AP Bouncing Betties are fucking brutal, it really helps show why they were not quite as inefficient as people think.
>>
File: capture_2188_27042015_004706.jpg (139KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
capture_2188_27042015_004706.jpg
139KB, 1920x1080px
Yuri was too fucking good for Zeon.
>>
>>12522538
At the core, a typical romance works like this : two people love each other.
Okay so the only you need to look at the type of relationship the two parties share.

Star wars: royalty and warrior's apprentice who is suppose to be celibate, and is too young and inexperienced/unstable for a stable relationship anyway .
Roadblock: Archaic rule and a need for secrecy.
Romance is foiled by Anakin becoming the hand of evil

08th MS Team: semi-aristocratic part time test pilot who is related to a complete psychopath and talented, self-confident front line pilot
Roadblock: war. Both parties are on opposing sides of a very deadly conflict, and may not ever see one another again, and/or easily could be killed by the hands of the other (see Lalah/Amuro from MSG, but in a somewhat different way), additionally, they could (and in Shiro's case are) be put in severe legal trouble for interacting.

Romance is successful because they realize that soldiers are humans, not weapons of idealism (a consistent overarching theme of Gundan), and do not have to represent their respective factions if they disagree with them. They dissappear during an intense battle, are presumed dead, and live a happy life in seclusion away from political turmoil.

I dunno, i really liked that romance in 08th.
>>
>>12522527
you didn't got a hint in first episode huh.ever hear american soldier in vietnam that fighting because shemale prostitutes?
>>
>>12523050
realism happen everywhere,so there is fiction
>>
>>12523293
nina is women case closed
>>
>>12523281
> MSG has magic newtype mental time
> Zeta has magic newtype glowing and sword of rage
> ZZ has magic newtype explosions and projections
> CCA has magic newtype shove an asteroid away from earth
> UC has entire mechs that run on newtype magic
> F91 has glowy afterimages and a newtype interface
> V has GIANT WINGS OF LIGHT
> AUs have - do we even need to list that shit?

> 08th has a Gouf swing from a cable
Oh yes, totally up there in unrealism...
>>
>>12524483
It was a better relationship but a worse story. Yeah Anakin fucked up, but you at least saw him developing a believable relationship as opposed to the Romeo and Juliet "we need a way to make war look bad so we'll have characters fall in love for almost no reason" style justification 08th had.

In your defense you could claim the show left that out deliberately to make the point that "you don't need a reason to love!" or some hippie shit like that.
>>
>>12524673
Two attractive people kick eachother's asses in giant robots and then have to band together to survive.

It's not hard to see how that would form a bond.
>>
Norris did nothing wrong
>>
>>12524706
Would have been nice for him to relieve "I drank too much Gin"eas of command when he started drugging the troops with stimulants.
>>
>>12524059
>On top of this, the animation wasn't so great that it necessitated YEARS of delays
This. Unicorn's animation was good but hardly of a quality you'd expect from something that took years to make. I mean, when a weekly show like G-Reco manages to pump out animation that's at times approaching OVA levels, Unicorn really has no excuse.

The delays probably had more to do with behind the scenes politics and other hijinks than the actual work. I believe it was mentioned that the director even considered quitting at one point.
>>
Anyone have a webm of Shiro unloading on Norris and missing every shot?
>>
>>12524673
I'm not trying to diminish the high points in Anakin and Padme's romance.
But I think that the chemistry that Shiro qnd Aina shared was pretty good for what time you get to see it.
Aina had a stressful upbringing but apart from one short outburst, it rarely overtakes her behavior. She's somewhat protective of him even if she's also dutiful at times, and respects his help and obviously enjoys his affection. They are pretty cute to watch.
>>
>>12524694
>pretty much the only reason he didn't shoot her was because he's too much of a bitch to pop a cap in a titty

Yeah they had a real bond, so much better than that love at first sight shit you see in anime nowadays.
>>
Aina is shit, Shiro is shit, best romance in 08th is Yuri/Ghinius. At least they'd known each other more than 12 hours.

BTW, Norris and Aina aren't exactly blameless in the Ghinius clusterfuck since they stuck their head in the sand and just started ignoring and avoiding him without warning. BIIIIIG no no for that brand of mental illness.
>>
>>12522186
>Holy crap /m/. I started this show and fucking loved it up until episode 8 where this shit starts happening. This great show where the battles were a little more "realistic"

The show is cartoonish as fuck from the first episode with whatshisname's antics with his internet girlfriend, and the first fight is A BALL TANKING HITS FROM A FUCKING ZAKU.

you dumbass
>>
File: muh grit and realism.gif (982KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
muh grit and realism.gif
982KB, 500x375px
>>12524645
It also had this.
>>
>>12525111
The fuck? that's not 120mm
>>
Gundam sucks!! The more you know!!
>>
>>12522211
Well. yeah.but yknow, everything gets an exception.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.