[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can Gundam's popularity be revived in the West now?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 9

File: Gundam_wing.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Gundam_wing.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
How can Gundam's popularity be revived in the West now?
>>
It really can't.

CN dropped the ball hard during the boom years and the novelty of Gundam has faded pretty hard since. Even if Wang were brought back for whatever reason, new viewers probably wouldn't be interested.

Then there's fucking Bandai which closed up shop here because we wouldn't pay overpriced JP prices for shit or buy a gorillion copies of Crossfire. Think Discotek can afford to license BD versions of Gundam series? Fuck no. Bandai could've given us some already though if they hadn't taken their ball and left.
>>
>>12468072
Gundam kiddie shows on kids' channels. I'm not even joking.
>>
>>12468072
Show 00 Gundam on an endless loop until people like it. It is basically the only Gundam series remaining that has any kind of mainstream appeal. I would like to believe that if Turn-A was dubbed it could find an audience, but that doesn't seem realistic given its lack of "badass" action.
>>
Easy option: Reshow Wing, introduce it to a new generation of viewers.
>>
File: Zakufight.jpg (942KB, 3040x2142px) Image search: [Google]
Zakufight.jpg
942KB, 3040x2142px
Have a Western animation studio do a UC side story during the OYW. It's the most fleshed out, the conflict appeals to US sensibilities, and we can largely avoid the super-robot sentai bullshit that Americans dismiss.

Make it a war drama that has giant robots blowing each other up. Keep the focus on the action, and don't pull a Bayformers where it was all about the humans. It's doable, you just have to not suck at screenwriting.
>>
File: consider.jpg (29KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
consider.jpg
29KB, 600x600px
>>12468072
Unless UC (specifically 0079) somehow becomes popular, it really can't. Bandai has continually shown that it has no interest in supporting a fanbase for any of the AUs regardless of their popularity.

>>12470633
Wing has not aged well. I don't think its success can be repeated by kids or teens today.
>>
>>12470647
>Wing has not aged well
This. By today's standards, Wing is barely a step up from something like Zeta, visually at least. Although at least the writers of Wing understood how to blend action and storytelling, which Tomino has never been able to do.
>>
>>12470639
Never going to happen. There's an ANN interview with Bandai USA's former CEO where he said they used to get requests from big movie studios for the rights to adapt Gundam.

Basically, Bandai Japan wanted unlimited creative control over their product, to which the studios laughed and went on their way.
>>
>>12470657
Why are Japanese corporations so unbelievably stupid?
>>
>>12470654
> Although at least the writers of Wing understood how to blend action and storytelling
Fucking wot
>>
>>12470661
Put it into context: Would you let a foreign company take control of Star Wars without at least a shit-ton of supervision? Because that's exactly what Gundam is over there.
>>
>>12470663
The robot fight scenes in Wing are often integral to the story being told, and they also often represent the emotions of the characters fighting. In most Tomino Gundams, the fights feel like a grudging concession to the mainstream audience and are totally isolated from the actual story. This would be fine if it didn't mean that the logic of the shows sometimes gets twisted into knots by the contrivances required to have a meaningless fight happen in every single episode of a 50 episode series. Zeta is a big example of this problem.
>>
>>12470661
They're very used to things working by the very different set of rules they use over there, and don't deal well with adapting. The same is often true of Western companies trying to operate in very foreign markets they aren't used to.
>>
>>12468072
X dub
CrossboneAnime
>>
File: 00545.png (26KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
00545.png
26KB, 160x160px
>>12470679
>X dub.

I'd watch it.
>>
>>12468072
Actually letting Right Stuf release everything is a good first step, I'd say. No other company short of Funimation would be able to cover Bandai's all-in-one criteria.
>>
>>12470684
>Bandai's all-in-one criteria
say what now?
>>
>>12470686
Bandai apparently stipulates that if you want the license to one Gundam show, you have to license ALL of them.
>>
>>12468072
Make some Gundam funko POPs or some shit, something the casuals can eat up and that will grab them by the nostalgia balls and make them go "oh yeah, whatever happened to all those piece of shit model kits that I mangled when I was 8?". Those are the people you need to appeal to.

Or have Channing Tatum or some other popular hollywood knobjob where a Gundam Wing t-shirt in a movie. Sometimes that's all it takes.
>>
>>12470676
>and don't deal well with adapting
Pretty much every anime licensed in the 20th century had medium to heavy adaptation cancer. That's the price of television.
>>
File: godno.jpg (23KB, 478x357px) Image search: [Google]
godno.jpg
23KB, 478x357px
>>12470517
The ancient prophecy will be fulfilled.
>>
>>12470728
I meant adapting in the sense of doing things differently, rather than adaptions of the shows.
>>
Localize a good Gundam video game. Maybe one of the VS games first.
>>
>>12470639

This, sadly, is the only real option. Look at the surge of popularity Godzilla had after the 98 movie, and the 14 movie.

Maybe even a live-action Western adaptation.

Shame Bandai are complete shit about licensing.
>>
File: GSaviour-1304382857434.gif (1MB, 170x127px) Image search: [Google]
GSaviour-1304382857434.gif
1MB, 170x127px
>>12470908
>Maybe even a live-action Western adaptation.
>>
Simple. Have Peter Cullen narrate every trailer.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-j4hLXHtf8
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToV3SqqD240
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JYsae9kQ3Y
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9LQhyBYSeg
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHhY8Xtzik0
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5ncHRoVzXY

Guaranteed sales.
>>
>>12470661
Because when you aren't protective of your IP, G Savior happens.
>>
>>12471033
g saviour was so bad they had to turbo the date for fear of bandai murdering them
>>
>>12468072
Z, ZZ, Seed, 00, Unicorn, Age, and Build Fighters dubs on Toonami.
>>
File: wingsuitsop1.png (3MB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
wingsuitsop1.png
3MB, 1440x1080px
What is with that image file OP
>>
Would it have killed them to have one of the Gundam pilots be a qt girl, I mean like would it really make a difference if Quatre was a grill he already looks and whines like one and has stupid ideas about fighting like one.
>>
>>12470913
western adaptation is the only way for it to come back. that or putting a new series dubbed on toonami cartoon network or netflix. is toonami even still a thing?
>>
>>12470703
But thats wrong because g reco was licensed by itself for numerous countries like france, australia, etc
>>
>>12470679
crossbone with redone character designs would be fantastic.
>>
>>12471211
You got SEED. why are you still complaining.
>>
>>12468072
Build Fighters Dub is about the only thing that can do it at this point. A kid-friendly series about building and battling robot toys will lure in a new young market, and redone nostalgic designs like Wing Fenice and Build Strike, plus the name Gundam will lure in aging weeaboos. About the only downside to a Build Fighters dub would be, instead of localized Gunpla, we'd get only kits for the main casts Robots, and they'd be simplified Sprukits like Bandai did with the LBX/Danball Senki shit.
>>
A show that's a sequel to both SEED and Wing with an MC who's even more American than Chibodee Crocket who fights an army of gay Muslim terrorists.
>>
>>12470723
>Channing Tatum as Heero in a live action Gundam Wing movie directed by Michael Bay
>Also starring Shia LaBeouf as Qatre, Megan Fox as Relena, John Turturro as General Septum, Jonah Hill as Duo, Chris Hemsworth as Zechs, Michael Cera as Trowa, some random Asian guy they found on the street as Wufei, Tom Cruise as Treize
>>
File: 1428030507902.jpg (1MB, 3200x2121px) Image search: [Google]
1428030507902.jpg
1MB, 3200x2121px
>>12468072
What Gundam needs to improve it's popularity is probably a "proof of comcept" movie or series. Something that gives the viewer a vertical slice of the Gundam experience but doesn't depend of all the previews lore. My suggestiong would be either something in a new setting like 00 or like this >>12470639 anon suggested a side story in the OYW that plays up the war drama aspect of Gundam, focus in a single squad of characters and not in the major conflict itself and tone down the newtype faggotry and add some "there are no good guys and war is hell" style message you could create a story that appeals to a wide american audience. From there introduce them to more animated stuff and maybe even one of the (actually good) games and you could create a relatively strong market presence. When it comes to Gunpla you just need to use the same style of marketing Lego uses for their stuff instead of the whole "look, it's just like in the anime!!!!!" thing they have going on right now.

>>12472086
Seeing how surprisingly young and autistic the Gundam cast seems to be that is not even that bad of a cast.
>>
>>12472500
>Seeing how surprisingly young and autistic the Gundam cast seems to be that is not even that bad of a cast.
Clearly my Troll-fu is weak.
>>
>>12471430
>is toonami even still a thing?
Yep.
It's on every Saturday night.
>>
File: image.jpg (105KB, 960x530px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
105KB, 960x530px
>>12468072

A live action, Hollywood budget, well directed, not so focused on the mecha, motion picture.
>>
>>12470661
oh yeah cause transformers was so good when they let an american film director do the movies am i right? eat shit faggot
>>
>>12473540
Kind of an unfair comparison considering the basics of Transformers media was established in America. Also, the thread isn't about what it would take to make Gundam good, but what it would take to make it popular, and in that regard Bay made Transformers way more popular than it was in decades.
>>
>>12473501
Lets say they do make a Gundam Wing live action. We know the cast isn't going to be Asian so what race will everyone be changed to aside from the obvious Heero, Relena and Zechs as white.
>>
>>12473501
>Age of Z'Gok

It's happening.
>>
>>12473613
See>>12472086
>>
>>12473613

How about something, you know, totally original?
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.