[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey Otaking.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 17

File: SHADING.jpg (119KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
SHADING.jpg
119KB, 1280x720px
Hey Otaking.
>>
>>12458792
>confusing hatching with shading
>confusing pencil smudge with shading
>>
File: 1428330594714.jpg (391KB, 1002x1011px) Image search: [Google]
1428330594714.jpg
391KB, 1002x1011px
>>
>>12458835
What the fuck are you talking about? Those are all forms of shading.
>>
File: mfw 80s.png (698KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
mfw 80s.png
698KB, 720x480px
>>12458835
>hatching is not shading
>>
>>12458880
yeah there is different shading but making your lines really thick isnt shading is it?
>>
>>12458917
If you don't know, why post as if you do? Retard.
>>
File: stardust3tone.jpg (137KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
stardust3tone.jpg
137KB, 1440x1080px
>>12458880
Super tight (cross)hatching for the purposes of creating another color when viewed from afar because you aren't allowed to have a second color of ink is shading. A bunch of tiny detail lines to make something look busy when you're sitting at a computer that can fart out millions of colors isn't.

When we talk about shading, and especially when Otaking is invoked, we mean using several distinct SHADES of color, and usually not just a black shadow and/or a highlight in conjunction with a single shade. Chirico's hair >>12458909 has several different SHADES of blue visible there. His face is shadowed by hatching. Either way, postcard memories aren't usually brought up in discussion of shading.

Shading deserves more respect than just throwing all forms of detailing into the same pile.
>>
>>12458968
Uh, okay? But this image has all of that. You're just stuck in the 80s, it sounds like.
>>
>>12458978
Stadust Memory is from the 90s anon
>>
>>12458978
The image has three tones, that's what makes it shading. If I edited it to make everything one color, the hatching alone doesn't make it shading, it just hatching.
>>
>>12459012
Which makes it even more ridiculous to be stuck in the 80s in this situation.
>>
>>12459015
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying about the image in the OP. It has shading and hatching and probably some other tricks with fancy names like a clear cut and a next strip.
>>
File: red banana.jpg (27KB, 486x508px) Image search: [Google]
red banana.jpg
27KB, 486x508px
>>12459025
How much shading is in this image?
Is it an example of SHADING or not?
>>
>>12458876
Do you have that image that's various screenshots from the same episode of one show, but with different years written beneath each screenshot, ending with "what happened?"
>>
>>12459037
Two tones isn't SHADING. Practically everything has two tones. Even Hosoda does two tones and he forgot what pens are. If two tones was SHADING we'd never have started bitching about shading to begin with.
>>
>>12459042
I don't have that image but I know what you're talking about so I can tell you it's from Hataraku Maou-sama.
>>
>>12459066
There is no way you don't see the third tone.
>>
File: spinning lightsources.gif (3MB, 720x389px) Image search: [Google]
spinning lightsources.gif
3MB, 720x389px
>>12459066
The only time two tones gets to be SHADING is when it's sweet repeated wavy lines. If there's just a single interface, even if it runs across multiple colors, that doesn't cut it.
>>
>>12459038
>two tone shading
heh
high budget.
>>
>>12459066
>>12459096
I don't get it. You guys are saying that literally shading something isn't shading? No wonder Otaking is seen as a fucking nutcase.
>>
>>12459105
H-hey, sometimes they have three tones.
Sometimes.

I really wouldn't call this SHADING, though.
>>
>>12459116
Do you not understand that while two-tone shading is shading on a technical level, we're talking about SHADING in the way that people say QUALITY to refer to especially poorly drawn frame?
>>
>>12459134
>I really wouldn't call this SHADING, though.
That's because the eighties and nineties had a different style of shading. I dunno how I'd describe it. Heavier? Harsher? I'll probably damage my point if I go on.

Even when modern animation goes three-tone, it looks different. Three-tone shading was reserved for movies and OVAs anyway. So a lot of the time it's reviling modern art styles in general.

The modern equivalent of SHADING as far as studios are concerned is GRADIENTS AND FILTERS which /m/ thinks are the devil.
>>
>>12459116
I see the problem. You're running off a dictionary definition and not the shared /m/ vernacular. "Shading" has taken on a meaning of its own, just like "understanding" or "quality".
>>
>>12459145
So you're saying that three tone shading is bad? Good thing anime moved away from that, then.
>>
File: DandyOfTheNorthStar.gif (643KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
DandyOfTheNorthStar.gif
643KB, 480x270px
>>12459116
Ok, let me break this down for you.

There's SHADING, and there's shading. Here's a handy dandy Dandy gif to help you understand.

>not muh eighties
deal with it you children
>>
>>12459164
I'm still not seeing how the Precure screencap isn't SHADING then. It's pretty 80s.
>>
>>12459151
>The modern equivalent of SHADING as far as studios are concerned is GRADIENTS AND FILTERS which /m/ thinks are the devil.

Does that mean that /m/ actually dislikes JoJo? You fuckers.
>>
>>12459158
No, I'm saying that SHADING does not literally refer to shading, as QUALITY does not literally refer to quality. They have their own meanings here, and when we talk about shading, it's usually 3+ tone.
>>
>>12459151
Gradients and filters can look nice when they have some character to them. JJBA uses both heavily, and while I haven't seen Rolling Girls, I've heard that's the case as well. Gradients look best when used at interfaces or to spice up what would otherwise be a very large, single-tone blob.

And three tones isn't restricted to just OVAs. You can find it in TV anime, but not to the extent of, say, Stardust Memory's 3+ tones with animation. It's all over the close-up panning shots in Saint Seiya and a lot of other shounen stuff, for instance (though in the former's case it's usually two tones + shadow).
>>
>>12459151
It's because characters themselves had more facial detail if you ever noticed.
>>12459197
not really, it could do easily without them David Production is just getting those part3bux
>>
File: iczer-designs[1].jpg (81KB, 1279x559px) Image search: [Google]
iczer-designs[1].jpg
81KB, 1279x559px
>>12459173
That's from PreCure? Huh.

Ok, I'll explain.

What's up top isn't eighties shading. That's lots of crosshatching ala Votoms. It reminds me more of the seventies with how it does the lines, really. That picture has two tones for each colour, as pointed out here. >>12459066

SHADING involves heavy, harsh shading and at least three tones. It makes strong use of lighting and alternates between tones heavily, making a higher level of detail and is often accompanied by more detailed lineart.

This is why Obari is considered the king of mecha shading, he makes extremely heavy use of this style. Compare your image to this sample image.

The detail in that one comes from all of the lines and crosshatching. The shading is very strong, but it's not SHADING.
>>
>>12459216
>>
>>12459208
Yeah, I sorta forgot how often shows would go three-tone for higher detail shots, usually just pans or closeups.

>>12459211
>not really, it could do easily without them David Production is just getting those part3bux
Season one would look mediocre without it. The use of gradients gave the show a lot of unique style and helped compensate for the fact that it was practically a motion comic at times.

My point with "are the devil" is that people on /m/ tend to blindly reject visual styles and improvements that are possible through use of digital techniques, often accompanied by violent eighties high-budget OVA masturbation.
>>
File: iczershading.jpg (96KB, 1266x962px) Image search: [Google]
iczershading.jpg
96KB, 1266x962px
Just to further illustrate >>12459212 's point.
Three clear tones plus a highlight (white or near it) and shadow (black or near it) tone. That's five tones.

Another good indicator of SHADING, and well-pictured here, is that the different tones are not solid blobs. The lines that distinguish between shades are are often wavy. There are spear-like protrusions of one shade into another. Shades repeat, so if you draw a line straight across, there will be times where you step back up (or down) a shade. The thin yellow line across the bottom part of that central chest bump goes 2, H, 2, H, 2, 3, 2, 3, S.
>>
>>12459212
So, it is still an old-school style of shading then, just not the type /m/ tends to talk about. I see. The 70s and 80s styles kind of blend together for me, largely due to all the drugs, so I guess that's why I got confused. To be honest I used the filename simply because I found it to be very heavily shaded, not out of any knowledge of /m/ vernacular.
>>
File: gp1428795449223.jpg (183KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
gp1428795449223.jpg
183KB, 1440x810px
>>12459262
it's okay anon close/crows was still pretty cool
>>
Ok, but is the show actually any good?
>>
Am I the only one who thinks shading is a dumb thing to focus on and that if you take away the overly stylized animation, a lot of the 80s stuff is just badly written schlock?
>>
>>12459500
Anime in general isn't particularly known for its good writing.
>>
>>12459508
>Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Get rekt.
>>
>>12459481
Hell yeah, motherfucker. Well, honestly, I can't think of a single show with shading that ISN'T good. So if you see shading, you know you're in for a good time.
>>
>>12459513
Which is a direct adaptation of a book
It also forgot the cardinal rule that what works in a book doesn't necesarily work in a different medium, so its pacing is terrible.
>>
>>12459520
Agreed, all light novel adaptations are perfect.
>>
>>12459519

Yeah but are the characters well done? Is the OST good? Is the acting good? Will the show actually make me care about the plot?

I don't need shading, I don't even need it to be animated. A simply-drawn manga is enough for me.
>>
>>12458835
Hatching (hachure in French) is an artistic >technique used to create tonal or shading effects by drawing (or painting or scribing) closely spaced parallel lines.

now get the fuck outta here
>>
>>12459520
TBQH I'd prefer a faithful but "poorly paced" (if you can really call properly following the book's pacing a bad thing to do) adaptation to one that is well paced but makes cuts left and right.
>>
>>12459529
I'd say yes to all of those personally, but it's the most subjective fucking thing ever. Which is why watching and deciding for yourself is always the best way to go, even if it's something everyone hates like Mars of Destruction.
>>
>>12459539
The only reason LoGH didn't have to make cuts is because it took 9 years to finish.
>>
>>12459550
I certainly wouldn't mind the wait if it meant more adaptations of comparable quality.
>>
>>12459529
Considering this is Toei, if you don't care about animation you've come to the right place. Though it sounds like what you really want is Hunter x Hunter.
>>
File: 1429252073049.webm (3MB, 640x480px)
1429252073049.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>12458876
Renew time
>>
>>12459607
I was gonna make a thread about this show, but I'm surprised there's not already a thread. Why is there no thread for it? It was very yeeart. Amusingly, this also relates to the discussion about animation.
>>
>>12459607
Inferno Cop season 2?
>>
>>12459621

It might as well be.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.