[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Millennium Falcon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 10

So is the Millennium Falcon actually a good ship or not? I'm a pretty casual Star Wars fan, who keeps mostly to the six films so I don't know. Luke seemed unimpressed with it at first. But Han says it's really fast. I never got that. Does he mean it's standard flying speed? That doesn't seem that much better than other ships. Or does he mean the hyper drive is faster than the others? It does break down a lot.

Isn't it supposed to be unremarkable though? Han is supposed to be a rather random smuggler after all. But then we see it in combat and it rather easily is able to destroy several TIE fighters. What would the explanation in universe be for the ship being so good?

I'm just wondering because it's in the new trailer. I guess that means it's a great ship? I know it's there for fan pandering, and because it's unlikely they'd come up with an original design that'd be better than it. Are we really supposed to believe they'd be flying the same ship? I would have maybe liked it more if they made, say Millennium Falcon mk II or something.
>>
It was suppose to be a piece of shit. The script had it that Han was lying and talking out his ass, but the Falcon become so popular that they decided it was a good ship.
>>
She's a pile of junk when she doesn't cooperate, but the extent of her modifications means that when she's functional, she lives up to Han's boasts and then some.
>>
>>12457107
Its actually a pretty fucking good ship. The problem is its extensively modified and as such rather temperamental. The Falcon's hyperdrive is genuinely the fastest or one of the the fastest in the galaxy, and it packs some heavy ordinance , those cannons it packs aren't actually allowed on civilian freighters
>>
>>12457107

She's a souped-up tramp freighter held together with spit & baling wire, but capable of some impressive feats when she's working.
>>
>>12457107
>So is the Millennium Falcon actually a good ship or not?
As said before, it's a great ship that's been heavily(and illegally) modified to be even better and faster than ever.
>Does he mean it's standard flying speed?
No, hyperdrive. Again, as other said, it's an aftermarket job to make it extremely fast. The Falcon is a light freighter, its stock model is like a UPS van, but Han injected that shit with steroids to make it the baddest delivery van in the galaxy that will get your illegal goods where you need them and fuckin' fast.
>Isn't it supposed to be unremarkable though?
That's why it looks so rough on the outside. It doesn't draw attention.
>in combat and it rather easily is able to destroy several TIE fighters.
Again, illegal aftermarket customizations on an already decently tough little ship. Also, those TIE fighters were sent out to die. They were just there to make them feel like they were putting up a fight, but really were tracking them back to the Rebel base.
> Are we really supposed to believe they'd be flying the same ship?
It's been 30 years. To Han, the Falcon is like owning a muscle car from the 60s. Even when that shit's almost 50 years old, it's kept in fucking immaculate condition because he really cares about his ride.
>>
>>12457340
the YT1300's were rather beloved freighters, if I'm not mistaken (and if the mass EU retcon didn't ditch it).

If not Han's Falcon, then surely hundreds of other 1.3k owners would attest to the flying spork.
>>
>>12457340
And if you think it being in use 30 years in the future is far fetched, the old EU goes one step further. According to the old lore, the Falcon has been around for about 60 years before the events of A New Hope. And then it continued to see action for another 40 maybe, likely further too. The Falcon is over or almost 100 years old by the time the purge happened. I'm dead serious.
>>
>>12457419
I used to live three doors down from a dude who had a 100 year old Model T that he had owned for 60 of those years. He kept it in perfect running condition to he day he died(at 89) and his son inherited the responsibility of maintaining it.
So I can believe a spaceship is that old, easy.
Especially in the SWEU, where tech really doesn't advance that much from 3000 years ago in the Knights of the Old Republic era to the original trilogy era.
>>
>>12457419
There are even droids that are that old or older. Artoo might be, for example.
>>
>>12457773
Artoo isn't quite that old, though I wouldn't be surprised if he was around 50. He's from what was apparently the most successful astromech line ever produced, so he might have been from a recent production run.
>>
>>12457340
>It's been 30 years. To Han, the Falcon is like owning a muscle car from the 60s. Even when that shit's almost 50 years old, it's kept in fucking immaculate condition because he really cares about his ride.
It is also a bit of Ship of Theseus. It doesn't have to be exactly the same ship, it doesn't even need to contain any of the original parts. You just need continuity in ownership. As a one-of-a-kind custom vessel, there is no need to worry about authentic or original parts. The Falcon can be upgraded forever.
>>
>>12457842
Well, Han's not the original owner. He won it in a card game from Lando, but like >>12457419 pointed out, it was around before even Lando. But it's a prize worth treasuring and taking care of.
>>
>>12457460
Yeah, Star Wars tech is stagnant as fuck for the most part. Which is strange considering the galaxy has so many wars and shit every couple years or so.
>>
>>12457419
I actually read that fucking book, oh my God. Don't they spend a good portion of it angsting over their dead son?
>>
>>12457107
It ran the kessel run in 3 units of distance.
>>
>>12459075
Well, yeah. Han not only lost his son, his son turned into the second coming of Vader and had to be killed by his daughter.

Also they'd already lost their youngest boy a decade before.

Han's life doesn't get very much better in the later EU books. Cause in the middle of all of that Boba Fett comes back looking to settle a grudge.
>>
>>12459365
Man, I'm glad I dropped the EU books after the Yuuzhang Vong showed up.
Actually, aside from a very small handful of books, like the Thrawn trilogy, the purging of the EU makes me very happy.
>>
>>12457107
Han Solo is full of shif.
>"I've made a lot of special modifications myself"
He won it from Lando in a fucking card game. iirc Kyle actually modded it. The hyperdrive exceeds what's legally allowed for that class of transport, otherwise it's an unimpressive smuggling ship with a very lucky crew
>>
>>12457107
It's a used delivery van with extensive modifications - additional weaponry, upgraded hyperdrive, probably additional cooling and improved comms antenna signal gain and delivery, etc. Of course there will be reliability issues.
>>
>>12459791
Considering how much it broke down, I can believe Han tried to add more horsepower. Kinda like the dumb kid who thinks he can totes overclock his CPU without upgrading the aluminium heat sink.
>>
It varied by movie. In 1 and 3 it was great. In Empire it was a piece of junk that had to be punched to start, and constantly needed to stop for repairs all movie.

And worse of all it was only like that for plot reasons. If it had been working like it usually did Han and Leia would have lightspeeded along with the rest of the fleet, would have spent the rest of the film with the fleet in saftey far away from Cloud City, and Luke could have finished his training with no distractions, and the whole 2nd half of the movie wouldn't have happened.
>>
>>12457419
>The Falcon is over or almost 100 years old by the time the purge happened

Well humans in Star Wars live nearly as long as humans in the Lord of the Rings so why can't ships?
>>
>>12459781

The new films will be better than the EU.
>>
>>12459860
Flacon was great in 3 because in 2 Lando's men fixed up the ship. The also fucked up the hyper drive system true, but they fixed up the rest.
>>
There's still motherfuckers flying around in DC-3's delivering cargo and people all over the world.

A older starship being really good at what it does after some modifications is hardly a stretch.
>>
>>12458993
They're not that stagnant. GCW era ships and fighters are explicitly noted to outperform their TCW counterparts, and fighters now have their own hyperdrive where during the Clone Wars they needed ring attachments.
>>
>>12460280
That was only one model, IIRC the Aethersprite. Both the Y-Wing and ARC-170 were equipped with hyperdrives, and the Republic used them extensively.
>>
>>12459913
>anything
>better than Han Solo yelling "KISS MY WOOKIE" before killing Zsinj

Yeah, sure.
>>
>>12459860
Because it took some serious damage in 1. Did you even watch it?
>>
>>12459913

Nothing the DisnEU will do will be more interesting than the post-Endor breakdown of the Empire into warlord space states.
>>
>>12460412
I kind of hope how we got from Endor to 7 would be interesting.
>>
>>12459075
Which one?
Yes, Han has multiple dead sons.
Poor fucking Han.
>>
Lando made a sleeper freighter into a race car for smuggling. Han won any of Lanodo's ships in sabacc but didn't chose the shiny yachts that were actually broken because he's smart. Chewie later gave it a new hyperdrive and stuff from the Rebels, so now it's military grade in pretty much every way
>>
>>12460412
>like that's not basically what's going to have happened
>implying the EU wasn't hot trash
>>
>>12461324
Depends on the book, some of them WERE hot trash, some however were very enjoyable and will be missed.
>>
>>12461357
Disney couldn't be - and shouldn't have to be - bothered to trim out the trash to keep the good ones.

That would lead to more butthurt than dumping the whole EU anyways.
>>
>>12461461
I didn't suggest that, I'm just saying the EU wasn't completely garbage, which what the previous anon was sort of suggesting.
>>
>>12461469
Fair enough.

Yeah, there's enough good stuff in there to be worth picking through.
>>
>>12458993
It actually makes sense. They're at war for so long and so often they're running out of resources and brain power. Kind of like how in Genesis of the Daleks you find lasers issued out out along with bolt-action rifles.
>>
You know, for all the shit that gets thrown at the Republic, it did manage to last 25,000 years.

I mean sure, it did waver between balls fucking useless and merely incompetent but still.
>>
File: Lumpy.jpg (85KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
Lumpy.jpg
85KB, 720x480px
>>12461480
Is the Life Day special still canon?
That's all I really care about.
>>
>>12457838
He was like 45-50 at the end of ANH.
TFA takes place 30 years after that, so he's like 75-80ish, I'd guess.
>>
>>12461583
Of course not. Hell, that was non-canon even before the EU. It's one of the least canon things in Star Wars. The only thing that's less canon is the Jedi Prince series where they fight a three-eyed Palpatine wannabe.
>>
>>12461567
>GET IN THE FUCKIN' SPACE FIGHTER, LUKE!!
>>
>>12461607
Actually I think they still refer to him, but him being Palp's son was said to be a lie to boost his legitimacy and generally treated that chapter of history with the general tone of "Can we not talk about that?"
>>
>>12457340
>Hang on kid, the ride's about to get a little bit bumpy.
>>
>>12461607
aw shit nigga, they had that book with the 3-eyed son in my library in elementary school
>>
File: stealth.jpg (80KB, 449x656px) Image search: [Google]
stealth.jpg
80KB, 449x656px
The only thing that could make me happier in battlefront is if the falcon and other ships of the nature allowed you to run from station to station, have two gunners, a pilot and co pilot, and guys running around to repair shit.

>Stealth troopers hide in smuggle cargo area, kill crew once its taken off and take it over.
>>
>>12461674
>>12461883
Hell yeah. Darth Vader's evil glove. There were two three-eyed muties; Trioculus who pretended to be Sheev's son, and Triclops, who actually was Sheev's son who got sent to the spice mines. IIRC, Trioculus got fucked up super hard and died.
>>
>>12461583

The special? No.

But life day is apparently a thing still I think.

SWTOR celebrates it for giggles
>>
>>12462377
So how is the TORtanic these days? EA still treat players like shit if they don't pay 15 bucks a month?
>>
File: for you.jpg (310KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
for you.jpg
310KB, 1920x1080px
>>12462398

It's a lot better than it used to be, probably because the game is actually making serious money now (made over 100 million last year).

If nothing else, Bioware has been taking care of the game and supporting it when EA acted like it was dead. Plus they gave us a far better Revan story with the new expansion than what the base game had.
>>
File: Screenshot_0339.jpg (83KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_0339.jpg
83KB, 1920x1080px
The MF is like the Asp explorer. Got a great jump range, but kind of sluggish and a big vulnerable target in combat.
>>
>>12457107
Any ship can be good in the right hands.
>>
File: Trioculus_shot.jpg (311KB, 1200x450px) Image search: [Google]
Trioculus_shot.jpg
311KB, 1200x450px
>>12461674
> Welcome to this Mofference
> I bring you dark greetings
>>
>>12462411
>[Flirt] I'm a big guy

FOR YOU.
>>
>>12460412
tfw no 3 imperial warlords banded together as eternal brothers in arms while using mothballed imperial super weapons like oversized glaives and halberds via giant grasping arms connected to their star destroyers
>>
>>12462411
that Mako model's shit
>>
>>12462687

Filename beat you to it.

>>12462696

Not my screenshot. I use normal Mako.
>>
Damn SWTOR talk made me glance for my security token for a second there. Guess I didn't completely kick the addiction.

>>12462696
>Filename beat you to it.

FUCKING DAMNIT.
>>
>>12462715
I sorta miss the old perk/upgrade system, the gameplay didnt really change any so you'll get bored of it within a week or two
>>
>>12462719

I don't know, the class stories have kept me going, I still havent done all of them. Mainly because everyone warns me about the Consular. Trooper is the only Republic class I've done the whole thing.
>>
>>12462727
smuggler is the most bearable of the other three, the Tatooine quest was actually pretty cool

the jedi quests aren't necessarily bad, just not as interesting as the others
>>
>>12462742

I beat Act 1 at least as the Knight. Helps he's voiced by David Hayter.

Agent is still the best story to me by a longshot, and the Warrior is really good because my character worked to earn his title of Darth.
>>
>>12462748
>Helps he's voiced by David Hayter
He is? I never noticed.
>>
>>12462748
the X-70B is a sexy thing of a ship
>>
>>12462757

It's much closer to his normal voice than Snake is. Reminds me of his performance as Bernie in Gundam 0080.

>>12462758

All 3 Empire ships are nice, even the BH freighter.
>>
>>12462748
>>12462757

Colonel Campbell's in SWTOR as well, even talks to character Hayter voices.
>>
>>12462766

In fairness, Paul Eiding is in fucking everything when it comes to videogames.
>>
>>12462762
I loved the minivan with guns duct taped to it, it was my favorite
>>
>>12462088
That sounds fucking retarded. No wonder those books are ill-regarded.
>>
>>12462850
fuck you, Jedi prince is love

not really fuck you though, have a nice day anon
>>
>>12462850
I never said they were good. Besides, Galaxy of Fear was better.
>>
>Princess Leia: This bucket of bolts never gonna get us past that blockade.
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.