[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was the "she could have been like a mother to me" line

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

File: char_aznable_0093_4086.jpg (49KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
char_aznable_0093_4086.jpg
49KB, 400x400px
Was the "she could have been like a mother to me" line intended to make Char sound like a fucked-up weirdo? Or was it just Tomino being an autistic hack?
>>
Char was fucking loco.
>>
Why does it have to be one or the other?
>>
I think he only said it for the viewer, so you can't really take it as "Char is weird because no one would ever say that." It's really more that they wanted you to know something about him but didn't have a good way to show it other than to make him say it.

I think it's an important part of his character that he's unable to develop emotionally and experiences maternal transference with a child. Even if he has a lot of power, he's still very alone and hasn't seen his parents since he was a kid. He has a lot of weird relationships with women in the series and none of them are healthy, he's just getting something he's missing from them.
>>
>>12441877
>Was the "she could have been like a mother to me" line intended to make Char sound like a fucked-up weirdo?
that is what he is
>>
My interpretation was that he meant it in Newtype terms.

It's pointed out repeatedly that Char is actually a weak Newtype, only barely stronger than Mirai, as opposed to Amuro and Lalah, both of who are really strong Newtypes. Therefore, Lalah's powers compared to his would be like a mother to child in terms of scale.
>>
File: tumblr_m1vrp5Y4Mf1r1k8zco1_500.jpg (80KB, 500x707px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m1vrp5Y4Mf1r1k8zco1_500.jpg
80KB, 500x707px
Regardless of what it meant it's fucked up and petty. I'm going to throw a temper tantrum and destroy the Earth because you killed mai waifu.
>>
Lalah was the first woman in his adult (which I would argue started for him at age 9), who could understand him, and empathize with him. He spend most his life hiding who he was (he's had three separate identities by the time he meets Lalah), and Lalah could see right through all of those owing to her newtype abilities. Lalah could have been everything he needed in a human relationship, in order to mellow out as a human, and maybe not start dropping rocks on Earth.
>>
>>12441877
>Tomino being an autistic hack?
epic meme
>>
It means Char wanted a mommy-wife figure. A mom he could fuck. It's a little weird.

Also what was his family situation?
>>
>>12441877

>implying not all psychology is freudian
>>
>>12445159
This does fit with some of his behavior in MSG up to and immediately after her death. Despite her younger age, he defers to her and her abilities quite often. She keeps telling him not to, but he still seems to place her above him because she's the stronger NT.

When she dies, he completely loses sight of the bigger picture again and becomes all about defeating just the Gundam. He even asks Lalah for guidance on how to do it.
>>
>>12445178
Did you not watch The Origin OVA?
>>
File: 03+Amuro+and+Lalah+communicate.jpg (46KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
03+Amuro+and+Lalah+communicate.jpg
46KB, 640x480px
Do you like Lalah as a character? I see a lot of mixed opinions on her.

I'm in the she's kind of boring camp, and she feels more like a way to explain a plot device (Newtypes in general) rather than an actual character.
>>
>>12445227
I'm half and half.

She's conceptually a good idea, and I like what she can bring out in Char to show he does want something else beyond just vengeance, even if it's something he'll regularly backseat to sate his payback itches.

Actual execution...leaves something to be desired. She feels like she's introduced a little too late in the game to have the impact it feels like she should.
>>
>>12445227
I feel Lalah was meant to be less of an independent character and was instead one made to bring out the different facet of Char's personality, one where he can be caring rather than vengeful about "muh parents are deeeaaad"

People forget thst Char was always emptionally stunted as FUCK. His parents were killed when he was still a child, he lost his sister shortly afterwards, and he spent the rest of the time up to 0079 hiding his identity and surrounding himself with the very people he hated to get revenge on them. That's not a proper way to grow up. Then after that he hid under yet another identity, only for that one to be outed and him to be forced into roles he never wanted. In Zeta he literally stands in a goddamn stage with two shadows behind him blatantly lying about how he's never betrayed another person. All of his relationships were unhealthy and failed in one way or another.

Really, it's not much of a surprise the guy fucking snapped and used his father's ideals as an excuse for taking his problems out on the world.
>>
>>12445227
Yes. I like caring brownfus with supernatural abilities. But she has no animated backstory and too little screentime. I wish we had more Lalah.
>>
File: image.jpg (528KB, 1800x1012px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
528KB, 1800x1012px
>>12441877

He represents the mental state of the Japanese otaku NEET's.
>>
>>12441877
>watching the dub
disgusting

The line sounds a lot more natural, its just that the English language lacks the subtleties and nuances that Japanese has, so youget jerky translations that fail to encapsulate the true meaning of the words.
>>
>>12447646
holy fuck the guy bottom left lmao
>>
char was out of goddamn mind never mind all the newtype fuckery

he was also 300% right
>>
File: images.jpg (9KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9KB, 224x225px
>>12445169
>Lalah was the first woman in his adult (which I would argue started for him at age 9), who could understand him, and empathize with him. He spend most his life hiding who he was (he's had three separate identities by the time he meets Lalah), and Lalah could see right through all of those owing to her newtype abilities. Lalah could have been everything he needed in a human relationship, in order to mellow out as a human, and maybe not start dropping rocks on Earth.

and that CUNT killed her. SHE COULD HAVE BEEN LIKE A MOTHER TO ME AMURO!!!!

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>12441877
This will never die, will it?
>>
>>12445130
He did basically say he wanted her to guide him. Granted it's his own damn fault for letting his pride force him to fight Amuro and bring her into the fight just because he knew he stood no chance against Amuro's Newtype abilities. Then he has the gall to say it's Amuro's fault she's dead when if he'd let his pride go and just went about his business of killing the Zabis, his waifu/mother figure would have still been alive to help him through all of Zeta and CCA wouldn't have happened most likely.
>>
that autistic hack thing... you may be onto something there.
>>
>>12445210
Mostly because he actually believed his father's words that Newtypes would lead humanity to their future. Too bad he becomes just as bad as the Titans by forcing weak or non-Newtypes into being Cyber Newtypes which is something Lalah would have been opposed to since she probably would have felt it unnatural and forcing a destiny on a person they didn't want nor need. And then there's this idea that Newtypes are inherently superior when all it's proven is their easier to drive to madness and out of control due to knowing other people's thoughts and actions. Quess needed a slapping by someone who could tell her that dropping a colony and claiming you're of higher moral authority just because you think people are corrupt, that and her constant need for justification for her actions made me happy Chan killed her bitchy ass.
>>
File: 1423504497756.jpg (236KB, 724x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1423504497756.jpg
236KB, 724x1024px
>>12441877
>>12441877

Dying soldiers' last thoughts and words were often about their mothers or maternal figures. It's his fevered brain desperately rummaging the drawers for a mother analog and the best it could dredge up were memories of Lalah.

Das right, Char has been kill all this time and none of you dumbass niggers could even fathom it, it took Unicorn blasting your faces with gallons of fanwank jizz to make you stop clinging to the faint hope that he (and more importantly to you fuckers, AMURO) survived CCA.
>>
>>12448195
I never thought they'd show up again outside of prequels, I always thought they'd ascended to the next plane because of the letter T and Newtype bullshit, not that they just outright died.
>>
>>12447870
You know, this is one thing that I really really wished they'd expanded on in the first episode of Origin. You have Zeon Deikun alive, the guy who supposedly posited the existence of Newtypes in the first place, but he doesn't last more than a few minutes beyond the opening.

No, I have not read the novels since I can't into moon and am too lazy to look up translations.
>>
>>12448280
Origin is manga, not novel.
>>
>>12448232
>the letter T
Does ANYONE understand this shit?
>>
>>12448280
>novel

benis
>>
>>12445167

you wouldn't fuck the earth due to someone killing you're waifu?
>>
>>12445167
>he wouldn't kill the planet after his waifu is killed
You're a faggot
>>
File: 1426373927707.png (335KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1426373927707.png
335KB, 500x375px
>>12441877
so.... char wanted to fuck his mother ?
>>
>>12448340
It wasn't a literal comment. He thought of her as a motherly, guiding figure. He didn't think of Lalah as an actual mother. There's also the whole culture thing to consider.

There's no Freudian shit here, or incestuous whatever. It's just a misunderstanding.
>>
>>12441877
I think in context he was trying to be introspective about how Quess wanted him as a Father figure and lover all at once and was wondering if he was seeing Lalah as a mother.
>>
>>12448295
It's not the fact that it's shaped like a T, it's just stuffed full of circuits that allow a newtype to peek into the afterlife and for the souls of the departed to help people.
>>
>>12448469
I don't think he was, since he was surprised when Amuro took that from Quess and it explained why he could barely tolerate her existence when not even he felt like he had any direction in life during CCA. And he already was introspective of Lalah being his guiding mother-like figure before the fight with Amuro. And now I remember why I wanted Gyunei to die during the first asteroid drop at the start of the movie, motherfucker killed Kyra just like that teamkilling fuck Hathaway.
>>
File: 1402082106055.png (42KB, 628x308px) Image search: [Google]
1402082106055.png
42KB, 628x308px
>>12441877
>>
>>12448280
It's a manga and has been released in English officially you autistic shit
>>
>>12448523
>retards still reposting this shit after the post-Unicorn interviews proved it wrong

Just die retard
>>
>>12445227
I like her but it's obvious they didn't have enough time to flesh her out.
>>
>>12445293
>In Zeta he literally stands in a goddamn stage with two shadows behind him blatantly lying about how he's never betrayed another person

Those were two different moments. The betrayal line was when he was imprisoned on Haman's ship earlier in Zeta.
>>
>>12448609
Haman could have been a mother to me
>>
>>12448509
>I don't think he was, since he was surprised when Amuro took that from Quess and it explained why he could barely tolerate her existence when not even he felt like he had any direction in life during CCA. And he already was introspective of Lalah being his guiding mother-like figure before the fight with Amuro.
I sorta figured it was a bit of both.

The father comparison gave him the inspiration to compare Lalah's guiding role to motherhood.
>like that teamkilling fuck Hathaway.
Didn't Tomino make an AU where Querss and Hathaway fucked off instead of that bit?

Supposed to be in that CG show?

>>12448523
Seems sorta like it.
>>12448594
What did the post unicorn thing talk about?
>>
i think people are not that stupid. But thread about Char last line keep come back time to time.

It's excatly what he say. Lalah was more than a lover for him, it was like a mother. It doesn't mean he want to fuck his mother, you know it's like when women search a guy like their father. Lalah could fill him more than any other woman we saw Char flirt with during the course of his life.
>>
>>12448631
I always just assumed he meant that she was a really kind person like you'd expect a mother to be.
>>
>>12448618
Only in that Evolve short story. And it could be part of the animated canon since it is animated as compared to Hathaway's Flash.
>>
Char just meant that Lalah was a big girl for him
>>
Think of what it is a mother does
Guides, protects, teaches, cares for

Can you think of no instance that the bastatd and traitorous Char, an a weak and impaired newtype, would find Lalah, a prodigy of the Flanagan foundation, as someone who did any of those things for him?
>>
>>12448649
And what's next step of his master plan?
Wrecking that Troyan Horse... WITH NO SURVIVORS!
>>
>>12448649
He works for the prostitute, the Newtype girl.
>>
>>12449947
There is a colony storm coming, Mister Ray.
>>
>>12445178
>It means Char wanted a mommy-wife figure.

in the end isn't that what most men want ?
>>
>>12450835
Yes, it is.
>>
>>12450835

Only in the sense that they want someone nurturing who loving like a mother.

It doesn't mean they want to literally fuck their not-mothers.
>>
>>12448618
>post-unicorn thing
From the pastebin

>(Char's ghost) was tired, but didn't realise it, and needed someone to tell him that. That was Lalah, as a mother figure.
>>
File: like poetry.jpg (480KB, 1914x2110px) Image search: [Google]
like poetry.jpg
480KB, 1914x2110px
>>12441917

There's so much you can read into Char's behaviour. He's an extraordinary character because he gets just so much time to develop. If you count Origin as canon the line really does make sense. The way he is portrayed as driven there. There're some huge parental issues here. Not only does he spent a huge part of his life plotting out his revenge against the murderers of his parents, which ultimately ends up being a completely waste and unfulfilling, he's also constantly standing in his father's shadow. He tries to evade that through most of Zeta until he caves in and does what is expected of him. To achieve his father's goals he needs to do exactly what his enemies, the Zabis and the Titans, did. He's aware of that, hence
>Amuro, I'm doing something wicked
A part of him hopes that his rival will stop him, that's why he leaked the psycommu frame data.This rivalry is the only thing he finds comfort in, mainly because of Lalah. She emotionally connects both and her death at Amuro's hands give him a familiar motivation, revenge.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.