[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is it about Katoki's designs that make casuals think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 12

File: jesta-cannon.png (298KB, 344x611px) Image search: [Google]
jesta-cannon.png
298KB, 344x611px
What is it about Katoki's designs that make casuals think he's the best mecha designer ever?
>>
>>12427453
Because he is
>>
casual, noun: someone who likes something I don't like
>>
>>12427465
Close but not exact. It's someone who likes something I don't like yet is more liked than the things I like.
>>
File: Katokid.jpg (44KB, 375x575px) Image search: [Google]
Katokid.jpg
44KB, 375x575px
I like his designs but they start to show a recurring lack of originality after a while. In Unicorn, for example, all the suits appear use the same basic template throughout the series.

Now, I don't hate the guy but he should really be paired up with someone when making a project. Helps to add some variety.
>>
>>12427516
>all the suits appear use the same basic template throughout the series.
Isn't this intentional? All the Feddie suits are using the Jegan frame.
>>
File: lates.jpg (237KB, 350x541px) Image search: [Google]
lates.jpg
237KB, 350x541px
>>12427453
I dunno, you tell me.

It feels like people have forgotten that he does original designs not based on existing mecha ever since Unicorn.
>>
>>12427453
I'm sick of Okawara's proportions.
>>
>>12427523
It's in the details (i.e. the way the armor pokes out from the legs, the way the chest is shaped, etc.) They look "too" similar for my tastes.

The Feddie suits in CCA and F91 didn't have that problem, all looked quite different from one another.
>>
>>12427516
>Katokid.jpg

Not sure what you're smoking since that Jesta has standard 4/4 (8 head) proportions. It's the standard for "heroic" or otherwise physically impressive male figures.
>>
>>12427453
Best? That's a far-fetched claim but I can see why people would say that.
He is however, one of the few consistently quality designers active along with Ebikawa and Ishigaki, and that is a fact.
>>
>>12427549
In CCA the Re-GZ and Jegan come from completely different lineages. In F91 there's a clear separation between the new-gen suits and legacy Jegans. The reason the Feddie MS in Unicorn look so similar is because they were all produced in the same period, using the same base frame.
>>
>>12427575
>The reason the Feddie MS in Unicorn look so similar is because they were all produced in the same period
Pretty much, that's like complaining that Zaku and Gouf look similar.
>>
Katoki is amazing at redesigning things to be more impressive and modern while keeping to the original spirit of the design.

His original designs have a great sense of machinery, flow, and weight.
>>
What about Katoki is so derisive, that he would rather give his mecha some long legs instead of a huge backpack?
>>
I don't think "casuals" pay attention to staff, let alone mecha designers. At best they have a favourite studio and voice actors.
>>
I enjoy seeing weird and obscure designs given the katoki treatment just because he manages to make them feel like they belong in the same universe, unified under the same aesthetic and proportions. He's designed some pretty baller stuff as well. That said I kind of prefer the new guy that did all the Blazing shadow and Zeta Define line art, but I really really hate his redesign of the Messala and I don't know if he's got any good original MS under his belt.
>>
File: 31.jpg (133KB, 1279x785px) Image search: [Google]
31.jpg
133KB, 1279x785px
Just gonna leave this right here.
>>
>>12427807
>That said I kind of prefer the new guy that did all the Blazing shadow
Oh, Kyoshi Takigawa? Doesn't that guy supervise RG releases?
>>
>>12430580
Why would you leave a steaming pile of shit here?
>>
File: image.jpg (178KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
178KB, 960x640px
>>12427453

The man was the first to image the Gundams in a near realistic way...prior to Photoshop.
>>
Katoki designs are popular and therefore not hipster enough for /m/'s tastes.
>>
>>12427807
This.

The shit load of 3d curves in Zeon suits doesnt seem sound at all in an engeneering sense, but Katoki could make them look more mechanical without deviating from the original design.

As a monoeye fan I enjoy that a lot.
>>
>>12430580
what is even the point of the gundam piloting it?
>>
File: exs4.jpg (366KB, 845x618px) Image search: [Google]
exs4.jpg
366KB, 845x618px
Katoki will remain forever a Toptier designer, no matter how much /m bitch about it. When he's free to do what he wants, make great things. But his style is a mess to animate so, they use him more to update models made by others.
>>
>>12431722
It looks stupid with a gundam stuck in a front-facing ass crack. It should've been a mobile armor that fully encloses the Gundam.
>>
>>12432007
>>12431722
point defense? redundancy? why would you make the gundam deadweight when it can act as a turret to protect the MA's deadzones?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZZqrg50rYs
>>
>>12431756

Yeah, Sentinel and Virtual-On have secured his place in my heart as a top-tier designer of memorable robots.
>>
>>12430599
>Having taste this bad
Fuck you buddy.
>>
File: 3438[1].jpg (531KB, 770x1045px) Image search: [Google]
3438[1].jpg
531KB, 770x1045px
>>12427516
>>12427523
I like all the Unicorn designs, but the Geara Zulu is a bit of a letdown. It's nice and all, but it departs from the established Zeek aesthetic too dramatically. It looks a lot like the other Unicorn suits and not much like the things that are supposed to have preceded it. I suppose Unicorn was trying to establish its own tacticool style, and I like it on the Feddie units (and of course the Sinanju) but here it's just a little bit weird.

>>12427569
Are you sure about that? Just looking at the Jesta sitting on my desk, I can tell the thighs and waist are almost abnormally thin for its height.
>>
File: vay8.jpg (219KB, 880x655px) Image search: [Google]
vay8.jpg
219KB, 880x655px
>>12427526
Such a good design. So was it's bro suit. I loved the coil backpack when the cannon opened to fire.
>>
>>12427453
It looks blocky imposing and terrifying.
Like every cool giant robot idea, plus modern tacticool weaponry, plus has that something that equates it with the typical bad ass normal.
It's no heroic, it's warrior looking.
>>
>>12433069
>point defense? redundancy? why would you make the gundam deadweight when it can act as a turret to protect the MA's deadzones?

sub arms loadsa sub arms, they should have had just the core fighter dock with it
>>
>>12427453
I wish more protagonist mechs were just glorified grunts.
>>
He is not, there is no 'best' but the jesta is definitely pure sex.
>>
>>12431684

>curved armor
>bad
>>
>>12433631
curved armor is difficult to manufacture, and zeon designs feature it all over the damn place, not only where it would actually be useful
>>
>>12433744

For our current production capabilities, perhaps.
>>
File: 166_MS18_Kaempferblue_1.jpg (282KB, 561x800px) Image search: [Google]
166_MS18_Kaempferblue_1.jpg
282KB, 561x800px
>>12433744
True, but was an interesting feature, the opposite of the federal mobil suits design. Some of Zeon MS are objectively majestic.
>>
File: image.jpg (237KB, 960x699px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
237KB, 960x699px
>>12430900

Ah...when NewType was good.
>>
>>12427453
Get a load of Katoki's Lancelot. It goes full Nagano.
>>
File: yms1-a1.jpg (59KB, 302x365px) Image search: [Google]
yms1-a1.jpg
59KB, 302x365px
>>12434436
I'm not sure if "objectively *subjective adjective*" is ever a thing. But Kampfer, man, is where it's at.
>>
>>12433206
>but the Geara Zulu is a bit of a letdown
But it's the best-looking Neo Zeon suit?
>>
>>12427569

It's not the head to height. Its the waist to leg that is fucked up. Learn to Art.
>>
File: GearaDoga.jpg (39KB, 316x449px) Image search: [Google]
GearaDoga.jpg
39KB, 316x449px
>>12433206

>Doesn't know an upgraded Gera Doga when he sees one...
>>
>>12430900

>prior to Photoshop

Posts a photoshop by Katoki.
>>
>>12441193

Iirc that was a manual pic done in '95.
>>
>>12427453
I disagree about it just being casuals that like the design. Practically a notable majority does, or he wouldn't be asked to redesign the originals in the first place.

As far as what catches the interest, it's probably the detailed engineering element he applies to the designs that make them look more possible, as opposed to Okawara's distinctly more toyetic designs (as far as Gundam designs go; though Okawara does have some fantastic non-Gundam designs; except the mecha-sized command "console" outpost).

Sure they do come across as sameish across series with plenty of designs (MSG to CCA and beyond notably), but that's due to him keeping to a consistent design evolution.

Ebikawa, Yanase, and Nakatani also have a fair number of designs that are more on the technical detailed side like Katoki rather than the distinctly simplistic look of Okawara.
>>
>>12433206
>doesn't know that Geara Zulu was an AE design
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.