[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright, folks. Would you like to take a look at a quick min

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 788
Thread images: 140

File: Carrier 1.jpg (2MB, 4163x3969px) Image search: [Google]
Carrier 1.jpg
2MB, 4163x3969px
Alright, folks.
Would you like to take a look at a quick minute & 20 secs of test animation for the mech project I'm doing and see what you think?

http://www.mediafire.com/download/p578a46yqmhb2sh/Test.ipad.mp4

It does look weird, because nobody's mouths are moving. Once the script is recorded I can then animate and lipsynch, but until then it's still mouth city. So just imagine them saying stuff.

Any critique welcome! I've hopefully fixed some of the issues addressed last time:
https://archive.moe/m/thread/11910823/#q11910823

Also, it's Friday so I'm gonna shade/animate the next scene in a couple of hours and livestream if anyone's interested in hanging out. Though I can wait if most of /m/ is at school or work or hustling the streets for drugs/working as a manwhore or whatever. I don't even know what most of /m/ does...
What do you do?
>>
>>12291956
You should practice doing basic movements before you try to do such big projects. I've never seen you do any sort of animation that didn't look bizarre as fuck.
>>
PS - regarding the Star Wars animation, I can actually hear Zak mastering the music right now, floating into my room from across the hallway.
So the moment that's done I'll stick it up on Youtube. A week or two, max..?

>>12291960
Well, it's sort of practice, but in project form.
Is it the rotoscoped nature that looks weird? How could I make it look less bizarre to you personally?
>>
>>12291967
Not that guy, but because of or despite your rotoscoping, everybody moves like a puppet being slowly manipulated into simple movements. On top of that, they move really slowly, practically in slow-motion. It doesn't look very good

I'd rather have fewer frames with no rotoscoping and natural movement than a million rotoscoped three-tone-shaded ones that have odd and unnatural movement. The pool animation preview from a while back was a good example of that.

The rotoscoped ships look like really bizarre CG too. It's a weird style. Not sure if it's good or bad yet.

You can draw just fine but I think you could really benefit from practicing conventional animation. Because everybody looks still and awkward and unnatural and all of the detail in the world won't stop an uncanny valley effect.

Like when you were doing the Out Quest trailer and you said something about the robotto's movements being awkward because you couldn't get proper rotoscoping material.
>>
>>12291997
>Like when you were doing the Out Quest trailer
Yeah, that's a good example. When the robot starts walking it's just so fucking weird looking. I'm no animator, but it looks like a gorilla trying to walk on two legs. I can't tell you in technical terms, but all of Otaking's animated motion looks really unnatural.
>>
>>12291997
>>12292007

Hmmm, indeed. I guess I really just need to man up and study the basics.
Rotoscoping is a crutch that I use because it's hard to do even a few minutes of animation when it's just me alone doing it. It's kind of like training wheels when learning to ride a bike. I suppose I need to take the wheels off.

I can't actually even animate a simple side-on walk by myself.
>>
>>12291956
It looks weird. The ship is cool but the human movements... they are weird. Like they're moving too slowly.
>>
>>12292031
You need to stop trying to make these grandiose projects and just focus on shitting out incredibly simple animated line art. You're trying to fly a jet before you can even work the controls.
>>
>>12291956
>http://www.mediafire.com/download/p578a46yqmhb2sh/Test.ipad.mp4

>ipad

Help I'm triggeed.

Also, digging the big dick ship design.
>>
>brown
>pink hair
silver, white, brown, black, violet, teal, blue, red
>>
>>12292031
You really should at least know the basics of animation before trying a big project. I mean, it's been how long since the Star Wars project started?

Come on man, you can do it.
>>
File: 1425405103283.jpg (584KB, 808x1860px) Image search: [Google]
1425405103283.jpg
584KB, 808x1860px
I think the way the ship is animated is pretty swish and the art is good.

The animation on the characters is kinda inconsistent. One character moves like a real human bean, then another moves like an animatronic character. The very last part where the purple haired girl moves up to the pool table was damn good, though.
>>
>>12292350
>The very last part where the purple haired girl moves up to the pool table was damn good, though.

Haha, that's weird, because to me that bit looks like the jerkiest segment! I figured that would draw the most criticism because it doesn't look very "smooth."
It's 60 frames total, when stuff like the girl drinking the coffee and turning is 80+ frames...

I think what I need is to somehow get to a stage where character movement is as fluid as this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVZXElRgYwk
>>
>>12291960
>not loving take on me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djV11Xbc914
>>
>>12291956
Your blinking is still super creepy
>>
File: 1.gif (1MB, 3000x1688px) Image search: [Google]
1.gif
1MB, 3000x1688px
>>12292458
But I sped it up. I thought I did anyway.

Here's some lineart of the next bit.
>>
File: 2.gif (1MB, 3000x1688px) Image search: [Google]
2.gif
1MB, 3000x1688px
>>12292557
OK, that's way too fast...
>>
This is now an Aeon Flux thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJNkqvBk-wQ
>>
>>12292557
make her only blink once
>>
>>12292557
>>12292569
The problem is you can watch her eyelids closing too smoothly. There's too many frames where the eyelids are moving.
>>
If you can, get a camera (even a crappy phone camera) and record yourself blinking, normal blinks, double blinks, slow blinks.

You might have a better idea of why it looks weird in your animation. At the moment that's the big thing that stands out as being off.
>>
>>12292569
>>12292557
That doesn't look like blinking, it looks like an obnoxious bitch trying to flirt with you.
>>
>>12292569
It's pretty obvious that you just stuck an anime head on top of a rotoscoped body. The head movement is completely unnatural. 5/10 for effort.
>>
I don't mind the rotoscoping myself, it's just the goddamned uncanny valley blinking that creeps me out.
>>
>>12292557
>body is perfectly animated
>head is just slapped on
looks like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRN-IrejBTw
If you rotoscop don't make the body movement so smooth, do you use something stupid like Flash shape tweens, for anime?
>>
>>12291956

Ship needs more dakka
>>
>>12292569

animation is much more than just drawing loads of frames; you need to learn to pace your frames - it looks too CG atm
>>
How long does it take you to make a video like that?
>>
>>12292619
>>12292632
>>12292642
>>12292458
>Your blinking is still super creepy

Well, I can speed the blinking up pretty easily, so I'll give that another pass for the next thread.

>>12292649
>>12292733
>>body is perfectly animated
>>head is just slapped on

Hmm... yeah, I was having trouble with that.
I'll remove half the head frames (beginning and end are OK, I think) and draw new ones now and post my results to see what you think.
>>
I thought I was watching Heavy Metal at first. And those are some weird ass asteroids.
>>
Yeah, love everything but the actual body motion. The detail is super neat and the coffee machine looks fantastic and then you have the super stiff heads not really following everyone else.
>>
Not watching till you make a youtube or vimeo.
>>
Gonna take a break to watch Alien, but I'll be back with results in a bit!
>>
File: based OP.jpg (37KB, 352x375px) Image search: [Google]
based OP.jpg
37KB, 352x375px
>>12291956
I absolutely love the ship design OP - would love to see it in combat.
2 advices from me:

1 - try to build a team to help you work on the project if you don't have one already, for example you can some voice actors asking around the modding community
2 - before animating combat do some research on how naval combat looks nowadays, no need to reinvent a wheel and it will make your work much easier - and I am a /k/ommando so it's kind of a big deal for me :)

keep up the good work
>>
>>12292390
That part where she gets up and chalks her stick looks great like the other guy said. You're rotoscoping over 3d models, correct? Did you animate all those models too? The sequence at the end looks jerky but it's got a lot going on and ends up being the most natural looking. I think that might just be an easy thing to fall victim to in rotoscoping since you're drawing over a model and capturing more subtleties in the motion and so that's where jerkiness can come from, I dunno I'm not an expert. The other bits for the most part are smoother but they're also more robotic, it's honestly making me question whether or not some of these guys are actually androids and I don't feel confident criticizing the unnatural nature of the movement since I know nothing about this project or these characters. Seems like just a simple case of less is more with regards to those frame counts you mentioned. Also I just watched American Pop again yesterday, which is just 100% neat rotoscoping with real-life models and so I might be making unfair comparisons and I also might not know what I'm talking about at all. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-PGUQgfld0
>>
The details and everything look amazing, and do in most of your projects, but I have to agree. The motion has always looked a bit funky. But the stills are just so orgasmic that I love it anyway.
>>
I finally acquired my Intuos Pro to take off in modeling and animation, but alas I have no project to work on of my own.
>>
>>12291956
All numbers refer to the time.

The (animated) asteroids are way too loose. They look they're made out of gelatin instead of rock/ice.

From roughly 38 to 46 Ms. Red stands completely still. She doesn't blink, and she doesn't even seem to be breathing. Uncanny.

Mr. Blondes torso is completely still from roughly 49 to 53. It looks like he can talk without exhaling. Uncanny.

At roughly 54 Mr. Blondes pinky finger looks broken.

At roughly 1:13 the couch isn't deforming when Mr. Black leans on it. Uncanny.

Problem throughout. Whenever anyone isn't the center of attention, they stand stone-still. Uncanny.

Other than the above it's great.
>>
>>12291956

In the last thread we named it the Donatstall Carrier.
>>
>>12291956

Spaceship stuff:

10/10. Looks very nice. A little too plasticy, but that's to be expected with digipaint.

The people, the movements just don't look right. the movements do not look fluid or human, rather robotic. They move from position 1 and then 2, and then stop. No one has any momentum. Maybe they need an idle animation? Maybe this 3D rotoscoping thing only really works for vehicles and doesn't translate to people well?
>>
>>12292683
>I don't mind the rotoscoping myself, it's just the goddamned uncanny valley blinking that creeps me out.

I think the rotoscoping works very well for vehicles and non-organic creatures. With living people it's problematic.
>>
>>12294851

Maybe he should make a team of animators and form a little amateur studio?

Otaking would work on the ships and space stuff. Other people for people. etc.
>>
>>12291956

did you use real people video as reference for the human animations?. they look uncanny.as if you tried to make them as human as possible.

great work.
>>
>>12292390
I think anime in general uses jerkier movements, and smooth constant motion (like what rotoscoping gives you) can seem jarring. One of the weirdest moments for me was when Purple sort of shifted forward as she put down the cup. Pool was really good, and ship is beautiful. Have you tried rotoscoping over animation, just to get a feel for how it differs from rotoscoped humans (I'm kind of curious about this myself, but it could help with what others have been saying)?
>>
>>12292458
>>12292557
>>12292569
I think the biggest problem with the blinking is that the mouths aren't moving (yet). I'm sure once the mouths start moving, the eyes will fall to the background and be less noticeable.
>>
>>12295037
>did you use real people video as reference for the human animations?

3D models, and then adding faces to them. I think it works if they're just in cockpits since they don't move much, but not so much in the rest.
>>
File: Cross Ange.webm (3MB, 800x450px)
Cross Ange.webm
3MB, 800x450px
>>12294776
>Problem throughout. Whenever anyone isn't the center of attention, they stand stone-still. Uncanny.
>>12294776
>From roughly 38 to 46 Ms. Red stands completely still. She doesn't blink, and she doesn't even seem to be breathing. Uncanny.

To be fair, that's just anime. Pic related. Anime is just "character moves from position A to position B" while everyone else stands still.
I think >>12291956 will look more natural when the mouths move.
>>
File: Pool shot 1.gif (2MB, 3000x1688px) Image search: [Google]
Pool shot 1.gif
2MB, 3000x1688px
I'm back!
Hopefully this is an improvement over >>12292569

The head sort of follows the neck placement now, rather than just floating down like it used to.
What do you think?
>>
>>12297507
A problem is rotoscoping picks up a lot of more subtle movements that anime tends to ignore. Anime characters move when they need to move; if they need to walk, they take steps, whereas in real life there's also a fair bit of upper body balancing as well. Anime is very utilitarian in this sense; they don't worry about stuff not directly related to the action they're trying to convey. Meanwhile rotoscoping picks up a lot of extra stuff not necessarily related to the 'platonic ideal' of walking. Which is why I suggested rotoscoping over animation to see which movements anime tends to ignore.
Although I definitely agree that the lack of talking/mouth flaps does make some things that would otherwise be glazed over more visible (like blinking, although it's interesting to note that Cross Ange clip only has 1.5 blinks total, both used to convey emotion. Again, the utilitarianism of anime).
>>
>>12297507
>To be fair, that's just anime.
But it isn't fair, and it isn't "just anime".

By having the animation be so smooth, Otaking sets a VERY high standard for himself. When the viewer see Ms. Red looking out the window animated so well, they expect to see all other mundane actions animated to the same standard. It's uncanny because of the harsh contrast between the 11/10 animation and the par-for-the-course animation.

On the other hand, Cross Ange sets the bar fairly low, so the stillness seems like a part of the artistic medium. Complaining about the stillness in Cross Ange seems like complaining about the lack of color in a black and white movie.

Compare the 3DCG animations in Shrek and The Polar Express. The Polar Express is by far the more realistic of the two, but it looks uncanny as hell and much worse because of it.

>>12297667
On a completely unrelated note; Otaking, have you seen any of the animation from Rondo Duo? It's a hentai VN, but the animation is some sort of crazy 3d/2d/2.5d/CG/hand-drawn hybrid.
>>
File: 1420237680059.webm (2MB, 640x480px)
1420237680059.webm
2MB, 640x480px
>>12297702
>On a completely unrelated note; Otaking, have you seen any of the animation from Rondo Duo? It's a hentai VN, but the animation is some sort of crazy 3d/2d/2.5d/CG/hand-drawn hybrid.

I have. I'm not a fan of the weird-ass character designs (all the girls seem to be balding and have weird pencilled-in eyebrows, though the colouring is great) but the animation is insane. It's "flash" style done right, I think, and really shows how useful that technique could be for any visual novel or talking bits in games, where there are character portraits.
I guess they must be using shitloads of layers of hair, clothing, etc and skeleton rigging it all up meticulously or something. I'd very much like to see a "making of" video or something.
>>
>>12297702
>Rondo Duo? It's a hentai VN, but the animation is some sort of crazy 3d/2d/2.5d/CG/hand-drawn hybrid.
https://www.youtube.com/results?q=live2d
>>12297667
The blinking seems better. The head seems to be disconnected from the body in the middle of the animation. Try to make the transition faster, make the middle part of the head animation faster.
>>
File: Pool shot 1.gif (2MB, 3000x1688px) Image search: [Google]
Pool shot 1.gif
2MB, 3000x1688px
>>12297769
>The head seems to be disconnected from the body in the middle of the animation. Try to make the transition faster, make the middle part of the head animation faster.

So.. just speed the animation up in the middle? Like this?
>>
File: 1414105665986.webm (3MB, 640x480px)
1414105665986.webm
3MB, 640x480px
I'd watch a whole episode of this.
>>
>>12298162
The video rip of the whole playthrough is 3.5 hours
>>
>>12298156
much better now
>>
>>12298156
Yeah, that looks good. I would say try experimenting by speeding up the animation a bit, since it looks a little floaty. I prefer traditional animation because of the distortion effects, but this is good too.
>>
People are generally on point about the human movements looking too off. They're very 'forward' moving like they're just shifting between poses.

I really really dig the quality though.
>>
>>12298245
>>12298269
>>12298276
Thankyou, thankyou!
I think what I need to do is more keyframes. That should hopefully fix the "move from point A to point B mechanically" issue I'm having.

I guess I'll get shading this pool shot up now then. I'm just finishing up the background then I'll get on it. I'm pretty much drawing all day so I can livestream if anyone's bored and wants to shoot comments at me in semi realtime.

>>12298242
>The video rip of the whole playthrough is 3.5 hours
Ohhhhh really.......?
I will look into this. For research.
>>
File: 1424906600070.png (557KB, 841x722px) Image search: [Google]
1424906600070.png
557KB, 841x722px
>>12291956
You are doing gods work as always Paul.

Now hurry up and brutally murder them all like you promised /k/
>>
>>12298162
I take it you already know about the penises?
>>
Justice bump.
>>
File: 1403297730739.jpg (479KB, 2335x1313px) Image search: [Google]
1403297730739.jpg
479KB, 2335x1313px
How are you coming along on the mech designs?
>>
>>12307138

>over designed
>too big
>legs too small

Instead of copying the impractical anime mechs, we should move towards more practical military sci-fi designs.
>>
>>12297667

>gif
>2015
>>
File: Sniper unit _V_1.jpg (548KB, 2335x1313px) Image search: [Google]
Sniper unit _V_1.jpg
548KB, 2335x1313px
>>12307145
He switched to these though.
>>
>>12307234

Looks cool but:

>too big for bipedal design
>less practical or useful than a tank or heli
>Has to awkwardly turn around to fire behind it (tanks have 360 turrets in comparison)

Also depends how serious not serious the setting is.

actually I've never seen a mech that has a 360 rotational top body that acts like a turret.
>>
>>12307159
Fuck you, I can't repost all this shit on Futaba Channel if he posts webms.
>>
>>12291956
Are you look for [spoilers]voice actors[/spoilers]?
>>
>>12307341
God damn, I'm not getting this right after all these years?
>>
>>12307391
>>12307341

No. Just highlight text and ctrl + s you nigger
>>
>>12307391
it's singular, spoiler
>>
File: view#2.png (1MB, 1008x720px) Image search: [Google]
view#2.png
1MB, 1008x720px
>>12291956
Looks pretty good.

But why do you steal the name Otaking?
>>
>>12307399
>>12307439
He knows, but other websites he might go to use the [spoilers][/spoilers] format
>>
>>12307469
>But why do you steal the name Otaking?

Yes, if he ever gets more well known, he should get a new name.
>>
File: Fffffffuuuu.jpg (108KB, 906x400px) Image search: [Google]
Fffffffuuuu.jpg
108KB, 906x400px
>>12307469

I lived, breathed and slept anime in the 90s. And nobody had really seen Otaku no Video, so it just sort of stuck...

>>12307341
>Are you look for voice actors?
Haha, way to soon for that, I think, though I do know a bunch of podcast narrators etc who would probably pitch in.

I tell you what you could probably do though that I have no idea about... tell me how to encode!
I'm just outputting the final Star Wars file now, and as an uncompressed 1920x1080 .avi file, it's 7 minutes long and 77Gb.

Rendering it as a mov cuts it down to a more reasonable size, but it's pixel city and the blacks are crushed to oblivion.

Taking that uncompressed 77Gb avi and running it through Handbrake to convert it to a Mp4 gives better results but there are still artifacts on the high detail shots. I really don't know what I'm doing.

>>12302175
>I take it you already know about the penises?

I know all about the penises.
More than I ever wanted to know.
>>
>>12307522
>>12307492
Yeah it is fine as a nickname, it isn't like he will market stuff as the OtaKing
>>
>>12307522
>I tell you what you could probably do though that I have no idea about... tell me how to encode!
ffmpeg will be your best friend. Learn it and love it.

It has generally pretty high quality documentation: https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html
>>
>>12307522
>.avi
>Mp4

Learn H.264/mkv compression. Even a free simple mkv maker program would be better.
>>
>>12307540
Indeed, yeah. I just use my own name for "professional" stuff.
It's such a boring and common name though. Nobody searching for "Paul Johnson" would really find me without extensive keywords.
>>
I haven't been following your Tie Fighter short since that big leak couple years ago. Is that finished or have you moved on to something else?
>>
>>12307572
Just finishing it now. The music was completed a few hours ago so we're just matching music/SFX levels now. So I guess it'll be up tomorrow on Youtube unless some horrible synching issue crops up or something.
It's getting late here though so probably tomorrow night, I'd say.
>>
>>12307581
Wooo!

Something to look forward to after a boring day sorting things at the borough Musuem.
>>
>>12307522
ffmpeg -i "source.avi" -c:v h264 -preset slower -tune animation -crf 18 "output.mp4"

This gets you 90% there. Obviously replace source and output with your respective files.
>>
>>12307684
>ask for advice
>given exact settings

You're the hero /m/ deserved, RX. Thanks very much.
I'll try these tonight then. We are just listening to the sound on repeat and making sure the music doesn't drown out the sounds etc.
>>
>>12291956
Still planning on a kickstarter or something?
>>
File: pointing zaku.gif (3MB, 407x300px) Image search: [Google]
pointing zaku.gif
3MB, 407x300px
>>12310789

You are the only person I would ever Kickstarter but please don't feel pressured to promise too much for extra dosh or start putting out weekly updates even if they aren't real progress.
>>
>>12310789
>>12310799
Well, the thing is I have a really nice animation job which pays well and I have an awesome boss and a really nice team of people I work with (which is way more than most people ever get in the workplace).
To do a Kickstarter for the mech project in good faith, I'd have to quit my job and do this full time, 9 hours a day. Otherwise I'd be ripping people off who threw money at me. But I don't want to screw over the people I'm working for (especially as they basically threw me a lifeline and saved me from having to go work at McDonalds or something. I was seriously out of money when this job came along, and on top of all that they let me work from home when the rest of the team have to go into the office in Australia every day), and as mentioned I'm really happy with the job....

Also, I do work on the mech project for about 4 hours each evening and all day weekends, so I'm making progress as it is without having to scam people's cash.

If my work ever dried up or, for instance, they finish the current TV show we're doing and suddenly don't need me anymore and have to let me go, then I'd probably go kickstarter full time, yeah. I'd also have enough content to show for people to look at the kickstarter and see that it's not just some guy talking out of his ass, but something which is actually happening.
>>
>>12310847
The TV show in question is this, by the way:
http://abccommercial.com/contentsales/program/prisoner-zero

I was character designer and ship/environment designer. It's pretty crazy seeing the final character animations in action based on still character sheets I drew. They've really maintained the SHADING levels throughout.
Also, the voice actors. They're really good.
>>
>>12310877
>. They've really maintained the SHADING levels throughout.

>goofy 80's anime designs and non-flash flat ass animation in a show in 2015

Is this real life?
>>
File: peopledie.jpg (24KB, 640x368px) Image search: [Google]
peopledie.jpg
24KB, 640x368px
>>12310877
>I know nothing
>I understand nothing
>I remember nothing
MC is Shirou?
>>
>>12310847
>Also, I do work on the mech project for about 4 hours each evening and all day weekends, so I'm making progress as it is without having to scam people's cash.

You should coordinate with others. Make a small amateur studio.
>>
>>12310877
How'd you get that? Did they contact you?
>>
>>12291960
I keep trying to talk him into reading
>Animators Survival Kit

Rotoscoping only goes so far, and he's a good enough artist he could handle true animation if he let himself learn.

>>12292031
One of these days you'll have to take off the training wheels.
>>
File: Untitled-2.jpg (544KB, 2554x1381px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.jpg
544KB, 2554x1381px
It.... it's happening!
Holy shit, RX's magical ffmpeg formula really works! Would you like crediting in the video info as "encoding assistance" or something..?
I'm gonna upload this beast to Youtube now.

...And then watch hardcore Star Wars symphony orchestra purists lose their shit over the guitar solos.
>>
>>12314298
Happy to help, but don't actually. I'd rather not attract attention.
>>
>>12310877
Am I dreaming? Congrats Otaking, that's awesome.
>>
>>12314306
OK, gotcha.

You're either really humble, or some kind of spy.
I wish you the best stealing those Zackrello blueprints, comrade.
>>
>>12314314
Thankyou!
>>
>>12314322
Humble? Eh, maybe, but I have privacy in mind.
>>12314298
Also might I recommend Premiere? Vegas is convoluted in my opinion, but lots of beginning editors flock to it for some reason. That said, whatever works for you.

As a general space-saving recommendation, I highly recommend outputting to a lossless or at least high-bitrate lossy format like DNxHD. You won't be able to do ProRes on a Windows installation (not directly anyway). If you want to keep archival copies at a lesser burden, H.264 lossless (-crf 0) might be a good option. You can speed this up with -preset ultrafast as well (don't do this on regular encoding). I was only recently suggested to look into H.264 lossless, and it might work out for you. If you wish to share with other professional workflows, however, I strongly suggest looking into downloading DNxHD and outputting a .mov directly out of Vegas - which I believe it can do.

Lastly, if you want to output ProRes, ffmpeg *can* do it, but it's slow compared to its DNxHD encoder, which is visually and technically similar. The only benefit is that Mac users (the majority of video professionals, sadly) can easily read ProRes without any additional codec installation.
>>
>>12314340
I'm noting this all down, cheers...
I'm actually using a mac, but it has the apple part removed and is running Windows.
I'll definitely look into and do an encoding test of (-crf 0) for archive version. Because I really don't want a 77Gb file sitting around, even if it does represent 3 years' work!

And now I can get on with my life...
>>
>>12314369
If you want to output ProRes, try this:

ffmpeg -i "input.avi" -c:v prores_ks -profile:v 3 -vendor ap10 -qscale:v 1 -c:a pcm_s16le "output.mov"

"prores_ks" is slower than "prores", but higher quality, as ffmpeg actually has three ProRes encoders to my knowledge. The other settings such as "-qscale" speed up the ks variety a little bit by reducing the decisions it must make when encoding. If you work with other post houses or editors, they'll probably appreciate this format.
>>
>>12311231
>Rotoscoping only goes so far,

Yeah, I think it works best for ships in space and things like that.
>>
Whew,
OK, it's up, after much tweaking and re-rendering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU

Now I will sleep for a million hours.
>>
File: congratulations.jpg (22KB, 540x386px) Image search: [Google]
congratulations.jpg
22KB, 540x386px
>>12314946
>>
>>12314946
Looking forward to seeing a Gawker article about Disney's mysterious new Star Wars project featuring a reupload of this with different music on the front page of Reddit.
>>
>>12315003
Don't tempt fate, man. Feels pretty good to see "thanks to /m/" in the end credits.
>>
>>12314946
Well, that's fantastic. Keep doing the God's work, /m/an
>>
>>12314946
Gotta say. It was awesome seeing the development of this from start to finish.

Good work man.
>>
>>12314946

Looks great dude! So glad its done and that it turned out so well!

You even thanked us.
>>
>>12314946

remarkable. well done :)
>>
>>12314946
That was absolutely magnificent, this is the animation style, quality, and direction that the star wars cartoons have desperately needed, not that stupid 3D clone wars bullshit.

I hope you get a nice comfy job at Disney making lots of money if you don't already have a comfy job.
>>
>>12291956
Fuck I love your style, and how it's very reminiscent of late 80's and early 90's anime, but also mixed with newer techniques. Very sleek, and honestly now my favorite type of animation. Keep doing what you're doing!
>>
>>12314946
>That Itano Circus
A fine job indeed
>>
>>12292031
The character design remind of me Araki's later designs for JoJo.
>>
File: Kamille.gif (2MB, 200x154px) Image search: [Google]
Kamille.gif
2MB, 200x154px
>>12315003
I want to not believe, but this will happen.
>>
>>12315003
>>12315009
>>12315260
Well, at least if it becomes viral (like a few years back when some retard leaked the WIP to YouTube), OtaKing may get scouted by an animation studio and bring back the glory of 80's shading, right?

...right?
>>
>>12314946
This is fantastic, so much better than the earlier versions. Bravo man!
>>
File: newtypegasm.jpg (24KB, 500x518px) Image search: [Google]
newtypegasm.jpg
24KB, 500x518px
>>12314946
utter amazement
>>
Have you watched Fate/kaleid liner PrismaIllya? It uses tracing over CG and to good effect.

Generally, your main problem are faces, they sometimes go off-model really quickly, even if the scene is focused on them.
I think that you should practice some character animation, without using CG as a base. Also, vivid coloring seems to clash with your SHADING style, but I'm not a big fan of SHADING so it may be just me.
>>
File: I_came.jpg (40KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
I_came.jpg
40KB, 640x480px
>>12314946
>>
File: 1411983568447.jpg (54KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1411983568447.jpg
54KB, 640x480px
>>12314946
>Dat proper Shading
>Dat Itano Circus

Sasuga OtaKing.

There are a few things I'd like to point out though.

First of all, I Really like how you rendered the ships and all the /m/ stuff, however, your characters lack "life".
To be more specific, the fluid animation are pretty great, but movements are still sterile even in the case of the ships and facial expression need more work, I get the feeling that you wanted to make those people move in a more realistic way and in one way you did it, most of the movements have a great sense of weight to them but in some dramatic moments like the cockpit cut-ins or the part where there are explosions in the rebels' ship people look more like ragdolls than anything, you should not be afraid of making more stylized if not deformed movements, having visual metaphors for those is usually a pretty great way of conveying drama and emotions.
Secondly, you did a great job in showing a lot of the old times classic techniques, the Itano Circus was great and I can't say I didn't enjoy the part where the main ship opens fire, having the Captain scream UTEEEEEI would be great but I feel there is no proper progression in terms of story telling for those.
You see, while the first two minutes were great you seem to get a bit lost when the fight begins, it's great eyecandy but you made the two parts of the conflict kinda evenly matched overall aside from Empire fanservice, now, why would the commander open fire? According to old tropes of the genre he either opens fire to give a final push or as desperate measure, in your case though it's not strong enough, or at least it wasn't for me, he doesn't even look like the usual scumbag villain crushing the good guys like insects.

But hey, it's a pretty amazing job and the people you worked with seem to know their shit pretty well, I'd fund you guys on the double, you all seem to have great potential.

You should have done a Dezaki Postcard ending though
>>
>>12314946
anyone going to post it on Kotaku again?
>>
>>12314946
>dat missile chase
>>
>>12314946
Fuck yeah, Otaking!
>>
>>12314946
Holy fuck, that was fantastic. And while there are definitely going to be people whoa re going to scoff at that metal soundtrack, it really helped to blend everything together into an brilliant seven minutes of childhood-pleasing and me-right-now delighting wonder.
>>
>>12314946

Very cool.
>>
>THAT FUCKING Y-WING RUN ON THE INTERDICTOR

UNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNF
>>
File: 1426965360279.gif (541KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
1426965360279.gif
541KB, 300x168px
>>12314946
Neat
>>
>>12315310
>Dezaki Postcard

Now THAT would have been the cherry on the delicious, lasery cake.

But something to think about for NEXT TIME!

I have to say though while I think you'd be better off with a more limited animation for people rather than the rotoscoping shake'orama, with the music playing, you don't notice it nearly as much. Or maybe it was just because I was just enjoying the final product rather than tear it to shreds as you asked as to before.

But hey, this is fucking stunning stuff and with the spaceships and such I have no complaints. And after all, isn't that what it's all about in the end? Spaceships blowing up other spaceships?
>>
>>12314946
I'm not a fan of the music, but the animation is great.
>>
>>12315395
>And while there are definitely going to be people whoa re going to scoff at that metal soundtrack
Star Wars has always been associated with orchestral music.

This might go well with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDwl-31afEc
>>
>>12315464
While that's true, sci-fi action always goes well with NWOBHM.
>>
>>12314946
最高ww
>>
What's happening here, is that Interdictor using gravity well projectors to repel missiles? Can they do that, or is this artistic license like the Bomber's Itano Circus?
>>
File: 1316409655163.jpg (48KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1316409655163.jpg
48KB, 640x360px
>>12314946

That was cool of you to thank /m/ at the end Paul.

Awesome work!

>my face the entire video
>>
File: EmperorPalpatineMouse.jpg (33KB, 400x330px) Image search: [Google]
EmperorPalpatineMouse.jpg
33KB, 400x330px
>>12314946
Quick, better download it before the Mouse sues.
>>
File: gundam boner.gif (1022KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
gundam boner.gif
1022KB, 500x281px
>>12314946

hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng
>>
>>12315509
He cleared it with Lucasfilm who are owned by the mouse. It's fine.
>>
>>12314946
The music is really gay. A bad Iron Maiden imitation.
>>
I'm a little rusty on my SW, what's the name of the third Rebel ship type present, the one that isn't a Nebulon-B or a Corellian corvette?
>>
>>12315540
It doesn't sound anything like Maiden.
>>
>>12315542
Gallofree Medium Transport
>http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/GR-75_medium_transport
>>
>>12314946
Too bad its not called X-Wing Fighter, those Rebels might have stood a chance.
>>
>>12315594
>One frigate, two corvettes, and some transports, probably a medical convoy
>Versus two ISDs and an Interdictor
Yeah nah they never stood a chance, not unless they were packing Rogue Squadron for some reason.
>>
>>12315569
So then it just sounds like gay? Okay. But seriously, it's really cheesy and bad. I could almost believe it was an intentional parody of 80s rock 'n roll soundtracks, but I know it's not.
>>
File: 1419479950303.jpg (17KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1419479950303.jpg
17KB, 640x480px
>>12314946
You did good OtaKing.
>>
>>12314946
What's Char doing on a star destroyer
>>
File: smug char.jpg (154KB, 1920x1088px) Image search: [Google]
smug char.jpg
154KB, 1920x1088px
>>12315540

You're super gay. A bad faggot imitation.
>>
http://zip.2chan.net/2/res/1376433.htm
>>
>>12314946
Fucking incredible.
>>
I just saw the Tie Fighter video, good job! I loved the Itano Circus.

Otaking, did you ever see the 80s Transformers movie? It was quite nicely-animated and seems like it'd be up your alley.
>>
File: timetofap.jpg (35KB, 410x424px) Image search: [Google]
timetofap.jpg
35KB, 410x424px
>>12314946
>TIE fighter start up sequence with engine detail and revving noises.
>>
>>12315480
It was an actual ability of theirs in Empire at War, so he might be taking inspiration from that.
>>
>>12315731
>there's a thread about All Hail Megatron
What.
>>
>>12315995

It recently got a fully-translated release in Japan.
>>
>>12316009
Well shit.
>>
I like you, Otaking, but you're like that Japanese animator (how was he called?) that was mostly good at shading and explosions. Your explosions are great, though.
>>
>>12316017
You mean Ichiro Itano?
>>
>>12316053
No, a newish guy that did ultra-shading but odd character animation in a bunch of Bones shows.
>>
>>12314946

This is wonderful! The music goes well, although it might be mixed a bit too loud compared to the sound effects. Still, this is something to be proud of. Thank you for sharing the process with us.
>>
>>12314946
Beautiful. Well done!

As before, though, the same criticisms of human movement apply.
>>
>>12316063
Yoshiyuki Tomino.
>>
>>12314946
Congrats.

Don't care for the music, but it's great stuff.
>>
File: 1348440342798.jpg (119KB, 759x720px)
1348440342798.jpg
119KB, 759x720px
>>12314946
That was pretty impressive even as 2 minute clip with no audio but now... woah

You're one crazy bastard.
>>
>>12315395

> And while there are definitely going to be people whoa re going to scoff at that metal soundtrack

Agreed, I loved it but if he had put star wars music in it; youtube would have muted his video because of their draconian copyright bullshit. A video I uploaded of battlefront 2 got muted for that exact reason just because the music was playing in the background of the mission I was playing.
>>
>>12316884
>>12316884
There's nothing wrong with metal, it's just that it was bad metal. It's good for a fan project, though. But bad if you don't give it that handicap.
>>
I'd have liked to see the task force jump back to hyperspace at the end, it would have given it a stronger sense of closure. Jump in, launch fighters, smash rebels, recover fighters, jump out.
>>
>>12314946
>5:41

UUUUTTTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: 1345478319855-1.jpg (53KB, 641x481px) Image search: [Google]
1345478319855-1.jpg
53KB, 641x481px
>>12314946
Goddammit man, you did it.
>>
Congrats, you made front page of Ars Technica.
>>
>>12314946
DUDE. This is fucking good. I remember when you used to post the test animation for this. This final product is amazing.
>>
Has the text been decoded yet?
>>
>>12317809
I started to but It seems most of it just says "the pleasure of being cummed inside" over and over again sadly.
>>
This was an appropriate level of cockpit doodads. Well done.
>>
File: 1361164317111.jpg (469KB, 1778x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1361164317111.jpg
469KB, 1778x1000px
That was amazing.

>Most Dangerous TIE Piloting
>>
>>12317085
but then you have the issue of showing all the TIE docking with the SD. It's not like the rebels who all have hyperdrive.
>>
>>12317945
I did say
>recover fighters
>>
>>12291956
Doesn't look like anime

Looks like murican shit trying to be anime.
>>
>>12292031
Do you know how to do smears? They aren't just big sweeps of colors, they can also be one frame where the arm or leg is slightly longer or wider than normal in the middle of an arc.
>>
>>12317952
That's because it is, but it's good murrican shit
>>
>>12317952
Strictly speaking it's limey, not murican.

But yes the gist of what you're saying is correct I guess.
>>
>>12315731
>これさ、本当に観るのにハードル高いよね。。
>>
>>12317927
Oh dear lord your right.

Welp the rebellions fucked force can't save you from geist.
>>
>>12317952
I know it's not but it has kind of an old school design to it. Just me perhaps?
>>
Congrats Otaking. It's solid gold. (Turbolaser sound effects especially feel a little quiet, though.)
>>12317823
My god, I hope this is true.
>>12317927
Hell yes.
>>
>>12314946
Thank you OtaKing. That was cool as fuck.
>>
>>12314946
That was great all those years working on it off and on paid off well

>Wonders would they show this on the big screen as an opening short movie for Ep 7?
>>
>inb4 Disney hires Otaking
Don't forget us bro
>>
Thankyou all!
I was so late re-rendering it and stuff last night that I ended up asleep for most of the day, but almost quarter of a million views is a pretty nice thing to wake up to!
I hope many people around the world have given random bars of chocolate to other people this day.

Looking at it with fresh eyes, some bits I'm pretty happy with and some (mainly the bits that are coming up to 4 years old now) are seriously crappy, animation-wise. And obviously there's no narrative flow since I just slapped cool shots together and didn't storyboard anything. Still I've learned some stuff from it and will implement all that into >>12291956 now that I can finally concentrate on it.
>>
>>12318333
>>inb4 Disney hires Otaking
>Don't forget us bro

Haha, I'm not sure Disney would pay me to work from home sitting in my pants like my current job does!
it really doesn't get any better than this, work-wise.
But yeah, I'm not really bothered about fame and the like (I don't even have monetization turned on on my Youtube channel), so I shan't be leaving /m/ to live in a Hollywood mansion full of cocaine anytime soon.
>>
>>12318415
But you should. You should make insane money and fund mecha projects. Cocaine is just a bonus.
>>
>>12318462
Nah. Sound like he's living a pretty ideal life right now. I'd love to have a job like his.
>>
>>12318401
I bought someone a pint so maybe that counts?
>>
>>12318401
I actually did buy a street dude a burger today.
>>
>>12315796
>moving components in a TIE engine
I fucking love moving turbine/piston stuff, but TIE engines are a work of engineering art on par with the Mona Lisa precisely because they DON'T have any moving parts at all.
>>
/v/ poster here, just popping in to say that this was the most hyped ive been on something Star Wars in years.
>>
>>12318401
>>12318415
It's definitely good work and I really enjoyed it. But don't forget the other advices you've been giving and keep improving. I look forward to more stuff.
>>
File: TIE-Fighter-job.jpg (249KB, 710x408px) Image search: [Google]
TIE-Fighter-job.jpg
249KB, 710x408px
>>12318802
>/v/ poster here

YOU WILL FLY THE TIE FIGHTER DESIGNATED ALPHA-1
>>
>>12318812
Meant to say *you've been given.

I really do make too many typos when I type.
>>
File: Capture.png (8KB, 625x142px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
8KB, 625x142px
http://kotaku.com/one-man-spent-four-years-making-a-homage-to-the-video-g-1693469097
>>
>>12318926
Word sure is spreading like wild fire for this. Wonder what else they'll say about our lil' anon.
>>
>>12314946
I screamed like a little girl when the circus happened.

Bless you OtaKing. This looks awesome.
>>
>>12314946
Based. Great fucking work m8
>>
File: judaspriestpainkiller.jpg (201KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
judaspriestpainkiller.jpg
201KB, 1024x1024px
>>12314946
I can only express my feelings for this in album cover form.
>>
>sticky
BASED MODS
>>
>>12319725
I don't agree with this sticky, but at least it shows that mods actually exist here
>>
File: 1342240910465.gif (658KB, 280x212px) Image search: [Google]
1342240910465.gif
658KB, 280x212px
>>12314946
Loved that man, gotta say pretty great from start to finish, and rebels polgot blown out.
>>
Look Otaking you got /m/ it's first sticky in age. I knew you did good.
>>
>>12319740
Yeah, having a sticky is super fucked. Especially when they've skipped out on lots of threads that actually needed stickies. This isn't even close to being the first major fan project on /m/.

Fucking get it together, mods.
>>
I like it, it feels very "Wing Commander."
>>
>>12319755
This is probably the only one that will get "mainstream" coverage though
>>
>>12319755
>This isn't even close to being the first major fan project on /m/.

Been here for like 6 years and I can't even begin to think of something as accomplished or interesting as this.

What, fucking ENIS? lol
>>
>>12318926
There's no way that is true. Is it?
>>
>>12291956
Your animation style reminds me a lot of Peter Chung. I like that.
>>
Avoid those pans of the ship at the beginning unless you're actually going to put in the time to clean it up and smooth it out.
Those shots are either impressive timesinks or avoided entirely by the pros for that reason.

I love me a good pan though. Makes me moist.
>>
your animation skill cured my cancer
>>
>>12314946
Nice to see your Disney resume panned out. Now that it's gone viral I hope you enjoy your chance to do this forever. If not though, I don't blame you for just wanting to keep it as a hobby. I'm just super jealous and wish I could work on something as half as hard as you.
>>
If I have any advice, it's to be more okay with using less frames in your animations. Most of the awkwardness in character movements merely looks like it's because they were badly tweened. So try using fewer, more detailed frames instead of many shaky ones.
>>
cvbvnm,,jh
>>
>>12291956
Paul is there a way I could get a voice role from you or something like that?
I can record a vocaroo if you need a example of it, I've been meaning to try and do work but never really knew where to look.
>>
>>12314946
Congrats man. I do think the people looked kinda off when they moved, but other than that it was really good and I loved the Itano circus bit.
>>
I'm seeing people on /a/ posting design documents.
WHERE THE FUCK ARE THESE DOCUMENTS?
>>
Wow congrats Paul! Your video is really spreading like wildfire. Glad to finally see your finished project. It's a long time coming for sure. I still remember those old critique threads and then someone leaked it.
>>
>>12314946

/M/asterclass animation work, sir.

You're so viral at this point, it's even trending on Facebook.
>>
>>12319978
http://www.mediafire.com/view/cpnc1oj27dkosc4/Tie%20Fighter_project%20materials.pdf
>>
>>12307138
>>12307145
>>12307234

IMO, talk with Alex Iglesias and you'll have mecha that are animation-friendly for rigging.

He does the concept art for MWO (which they then fuck up frequently and often), and you're already sixteen different kinds of better than the Z-grade animation riggers he's doing modeling and isometrics for.

http://flyingdebris.deviantart.com/
>>
File: static1.squarespace.com.jpg (193KB, 980x625px) Image search: [Google]
static1.squarespace.com.jpg
193KB, 980x625px
>Thread gets a sticky
>mfw

Feels good, man.
>>
File: 1423670818721.png (28KB, 590x495px) Image search: [Google]
1423670818721.png
28KB, 590x495px
>>12314946
Liked, subscribed, shared on Facebook, fapped and drank a coke.
>>
>>>/a/122989555
>>
>Short gets famous
>Disney sees interest
>Teams up with Sunrise for a 6 part, 50 minute each OVA series about TIE pilots
>>
>>12318401
I microwaved a burger got my dad. Am I a good person?
>>
File: 1426969255415.jpg (103KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1426969255415.jpg
103KB, 960x540px
>>12314946
That Itano Circus gave me the biggest smile.
>>
>>12314946
>http://abccommercial.com/contentsales/program/prisoner-zero
wow wtf that was you that made that?!?! Wow bad ass
>>
File: 1404361304281.jpg (13KB, 416x297px) Image search: [Google]
1404361304281.jpg
13KB, 416x297px
>stickied
>>
>>12314946
>those Gundam references
>CCA Char
>Yazan

I'm sure there's a lot of Macross influence there.
>>
>>12314946
If moot was still here, he would be proud
>>
>>12320130
I would cut off my balls for this
>>
Holy shit
>>
>>12318401
I totally forgot to grab someone something to eat. I'm sorry. Maybe tomorrow.
But anyway, congrats on those views, man! You totally deserve them. You owe me some new underwear for that Itano circus, though.
>>
>Another thing made by us /m/en
>800k+ views and going
>Normies still keep out even though /m/ is always mentioned

Feels good.

If anyone doesn't remember we did the Gundam Style Spoof a few years back and that thing literally got millions of views.
>>
>>12320498
Which one?
>>
>>12320519
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRN-IrejBTw

I also remember a version posted on nico that had Japanese lyrics about Gundam, but I can't find it. Anybody has that one?
>>
>>12319978
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH THOSE PLANS?
>>
>>12320553
I always wondered why there was so much UC in it.
>>
>>12320619
Because it was supposed to be all UC. The only exception was made for the final part with the enormous group of dancers.
>>
>>12314946
Nice work, I liked it.
>>
>>12314946
I never thought this day would come.
I'm fucking proud, man. Incredible work.
>>
>>12320553
>That fucking Ingram head in the group shot
>>
Damn that was fucking awesome. Good work Otaking!
>>
Yes, die rebel scums.
>>
File: 220px-HonneamiseHD.jpg (25KB, 220x312px) Image search: [Google]
220px-HonneamiseHD.jpg
25KB, 220x312px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU based on this I think you've improved significantly; a lot of the effects animation is legitimately cool and the overall short is well-shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU#t=5m53s but the rotoscoping still looks really awkward and out-of-place. everything is very stylized in both motion and art, but then the rotoscoping comes up and looks super awkward. I'm not even sure what to recommend except maybe thinking of a way to apply some stylization to the motion that's (obviously) not present in the real-world footage you're using; use it as reference but don't outright trace it frame by frame the way you do. when a bit of character animation ISN'T rotoscoped, it looks like you often trouble keeping it from looking choppy and odd.

do you enjoy animating explosions and lasers and stuff more than characters, or are you just afraid of getting serious about character animation because it's something you don't have much experience with? maybe a bit of both? you're clearly impressed and influenced by the overt "LOOK AT THIS BADASS SHIT" aspects of anime, and you've actually built a pretty good understanding of them, but as a result you're missing out on the subtler things that make your favorite 80s movies and OVAs impressive. like, look at this clip http://sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/4701/animated-artist_unknown-effects-smoke-the_wings_of - specifically the character animation 3 seconds in. it's quite limited, not super-fluid, but it looks good. the posing is natural and dynamic and it's timed believably.
>>
>Sticky
Well done brah
>>
Better music

http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=PN_CP4SuoTU&video_start=125&audio=4yI3MUb0OpA&audio_start=0
>>
File: Intano TIE.webm (3MB, 640x360px)
Intano TIE.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>
File: 1257371516676.gif (2MB, 288x291px) Image search: [Google]
1257371516676.gif
2MB, 288x291px
>>12321247
UNF
>>
Fantastic work, Paul.
All my friends are talking about it.
I have to go in and point out Char, Ramba Ral, Yazan, and the Macross references to some, but I was so proud when one of my friends said, "That TIE launch sequence looks like the one in Macross!"
>>
>>12320865
There's a scopedog in there too if I recall correctly.
>>
I see you added some steam above the coffee pot. I think its a great addition.
>>
Maybe this will get some more attention for Out Quest?
>>
File: 1364078985390.gif (356KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
1364078985390.gif
356KB, 450x300px
Just take my wallet.

I don't need it anymore.
>>
>>12321716
VF-kun you forgot your trip.
>>
File: Tenouddaten.gif (2MB, 300x168px)
Tenouddaten.gif
2MB, 300x168px
>>12314946
>>
I've seen better fan animations from Japan and Korea tho
>>
>>12314946
>Didn't include the scene of the Interdictor activating its gravity well projector.
Granted I'm going to make the assumption that the Y-wing pilot at 3:35 was talking about how they needed to take down the Interdictor in order to let the Rebel fleet escape.

Either, congrats on finally finishing it, always nice to go 'Is that a homage to (insert series here)? Nice'.

>>12315464
It's been associated with the John William's composition style since he was the original composer for the series. And to be honest, it's best to do your own thing because the guy is extremely protective of his work. As in he will use his influence to make sure that not only you, but your family will never get a job in the industry again if he finds out you did an unauthorized reproduction or used his work without approval. Yeah, this was a fan work, through and through, but the John Williams is Disney tier in protecting his intellectual property.
>>
File: critic2.jpg (104KB, 554x737px) Image search: [Google]
critic2.jpg
104KB, 554x737px
>>12291956
>stairs everywhere
Turn on anti-aliasing in whatever you're using.

Also, whatever is up with her face at 01:00.313 looks extremely jarring.

The character animation is somewhat odd. On the one hand they seem fairly static, almost like moving, non-animated cels at times. At other times the way the shading shifts looks like they move more than they should.
Of course asking for proper micro-motions on a hobby-project would be way too much.

The flight through the asteroids looks much better than last time though, it doesn't feel like a caffeine overdose anymore.
>>
>>12321954
>t's been associated with the John William's composition style since he was the original composer for the series. And to be honest, it's best to do your own thing because the guy is extremely protective of his work. As in he will use his influence to make sure that not only you, but your family will never get a job in the industry again if he finds out you did an unauthorized reproduction or used his work without approval. Yeah, this was a fan work, through and through, but the John Williams is Disney tier in protecting his intellectual property.

Also, Williams has been copy-pasting his scores over and over again since Hollywood eats leftovers.
>>
>>12322222
Not to mention all of the Tchaikovsky, Brahm's, Beethoven, etc. that he's blatantly ripped off from.
>>
>>12322238

A ton of Hollywood composers do that, though, and classical music is so old no one cares anymore. It's only the ones whom all of the normines venerate for being super epic XD are rage inducing.
>>
>>12322252
I understand that it's perfectly legal and standard practice, it just seems so silly to be able to hold copyright over something that was based on a free domain.

I also don't understand why films don't just use the original classical compositions. Its much cheaper, and IMO, sounds much better.
>>
What's this? A sticky in /m/? It's like once in a blue moon. Who's the guy?
>>
>>12322335
Some guy who is obsessed with random black patches on things who thinks the 80s is the pinnacle of everything who can't draw people or animate but can trace rotoscoping
>>
Yo OtaKing! /co/mrade here, just journeyed to /m/ to tell you that you did amazing work, it's been a long time since I've seen anything Star Wars related that made me this happy.

I know there's been some complaints about the music selection, but I thought you absolutely killed it for the tone you were going for with the video. John Williams music wouldn't have fit at all alongside shots of revving engines and badass fighter pilots.

Anyways, I hope you keep up the great work, and thanks for making such an awesome video!
>>
>>12322335
The founder of aperture science
>>
>>12291956
Why is there a large cannon in front of the bridge, obstructing the view?

Either that bridge needs to be higher, or that cannon smaller or moved.

It simply isn't a practical location, and is pretty stupid looking.
>>
>>12322380
they probably don't really need to look through the bridge windows anyway.
>>
>>12322335
>Who's the guy?
>It's like once in a blue moon

It's funny that you talk as if you've been here long when it's the contrary.
>>
>>12322380
Perspective, I think the cannon is in the foreground and the bridge is in the background.

Besides you need a cannon in close proximity to the bridge when your bridge deflector shields go down and you need to intensify forward firepower.
>>
>>12314946

I sincerely believe with all my heart that nothing Disney/Lucasfilm peddles out in the coming years will ever come close to exuding this level of vision and dedication.
>>
>>12322497
And subsequently serve as a easy "shoot me for bonus damage" when that cannon is destroyed. Whether it has ammo or energized capacitors, that's easy free damage given its proximity to the bridge.

>>12322403
Then why have large windows in that lower section? Why not just armor up that section and rely on cameras appropriately zoomed to simulate seeing outside?

Modern ships already do to some extent in battle rooms, and if we want a more relevant example, the Minerva in SEED had a screen "window" after lowering the bridge.
>>
Haha, what the hell? A sticky?
I am honoured, /m/ods.
Anyway, sorry for going silent. I'm sort of getting inundated with mails and messages at the minute, though that should die down in a day or two. I'm still reading everything though, especially the critiques.
Now that TIE Fighter's done, I can actually sit down and try improving my animation skills whilst doing the new project.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words, all!
>>
>>12322681
>I'm sort of getting inundated with mails and messages
From Disney/Sunrise/you're favourite studio?
>>
>>12322681
Just don't forget about us when you're doing talk shows and rejecting 10 job offers a day
>>
>>12314946
Seems a little stiff in the animation at some points. Not necessarily a bad thing; but it doesn't look fluid enough to match the high quality of the art.

Could use either faster animation or more in-between frames to make it a bit smoother.
>>
Nice work on the Star Wars project!
I think you should rely less on rotoscoping but still, it looks fucking good
>>
>>12321806
How are you going to abridge more shit without your wallet?

Please come back.
>>
>>12291997
Read up on some animation theory, plenty of books. It should help you. You are somewhat limiting yourself with rotoscope. Animation timing can be very expressive. Yours looks janky most of the time. It's fantastic, don't get me wrong but if you combine your reference with animation principles you'd probably have better animation.
>>
>>12322377
>The founder of aperture science
Is he going to figure out how to burn someone's house down with shading?
>>
>>12314946
I need to start coming to this board more often, jesus christ.
>>
Your Star Wars thing was inspiring. Thanks, dude.
>>
>>12314946
Hey you took in count Rebel Fighters innate shield capabilities! I really liked the efect.
So now that this is done, whats up next a Xwing episode? Or a fleet action movie?

I really like this clip, and for the reference I higly recomend the EU novels like the X-wing Series novels for further reference, or the Simulator Game X-wing Alliace which is by far the best SW simulator till today [sorry x-wing and tie fighter fans but is true].
>>
>>12323005
>Hey you took in count Rebel Fighters innate shield capabilities!
With delicious I-field stylings.
>>
File: Untitled.png (5KB, 761x72px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
5KB, 761x72px
>>12320123
why are these people allowed to exist
>>
>>12323105
Literally who gives a fuck about Star Wars' shitty setting? Who cares if they didn't know something about the DEEP LORE of BlackLionRipOffByAmericans
>>
>>12323105
Not everyone looks at or cares about the background stuff. Given how dumb the prequels were, who can blame them?
>>
>>12323110
>>12323118

>apologists
>>
>>12323105
I can understand why someone who's only familiar with the films would think that given that it's a pretty major plot point of the prequels that all troopers are clones.

I haven't watched any of the newer special editions or the blu-ray edition but didn't Lucas also redub the storm-trooper dialog with Jango's voice in those as well?
>>
>>12323125
Oh, sorry.
I guess I was supposed to say "Because they're fucking normalfag plebs without any initiative to use fucking google!"
>>
>>12323144
Only Boba was redubbed, stormtroopers remained the same. Yeah, the movies never directly tell you, but all the current side-materials (as well as Rebels/EpVII) make it clear that most Stormies aren't clones.
>>
>>12323194
Most people on /a/ don't watch Star Wars outside of a couple of movies, hate to break it to you.
>>
Coming up on 1.5 million views now.
>>
>>12322700
I thought so also, but I didn't want to sound condescending or anything.
>>
>>12322681
Just came here to thank you, you magnificent bastard.
>>
I like your art, but the rotoscoped rocks are "boiling", to a high degree, and a lot of the heads on people look like they are bolted on and not actually part of them.

I'm no animator, but I'm gonna suggest more reference, try referencing peoples facial expression especially when they are turning their heads to make them look less like Batou from the dream sequence of Innocence.
>>
>>12298296
>I think what I need to do is more keyframes. That should hopefully fix the "move from point A to point B mechanically" issue I'm having.

It's not the amount of keyframes but how you're using what you have. From what I can see, you need to work on your timing and easing.

Knowing when to let a character simply sit still and then gradually start moving or even just abruptly change from a static pose to action is as much technical skill as intuition. You may want to review Richard William's book on animation, specifically the section on timing and character acting to get a better idea of what I mean.

https://youtu.be/4hEpz5etiUs
>>
>>12322681
You really did a good job I'm happy for you that your film's getting all that attention.
As for improving your animation skills, just go back to the basics, animator's survival kit and all that, there's tons of resources online about animation, and tons of books about it which you can buy/pirate. Study the animation in your favorite animus, go frame by frame and all that, look at the timing, the way they stylize motion, the tricks they use to do less work but still get it to look good.
Which program do you use to animate? Photoshop? I personally highly recommend switching to TVpaint, which is good for a more traditional style of animating.
Also, maybe you should try animating on 2s and in some parts even 3s, to really get that anime feel, and also save a lot of time. doing everything on ones is a huge bother and doesn't necessarily make the animation look better, even Disney animation is mostly on 2s.

Anyway, good luck man! I seriously admire your dedication.
>>
File: Gook cartoons.jpg (63KB, 961x382px) Image search: [Google]
Gook cartoons.jpg
63KB, 961x382px
Imagine being this jaded. Anime must have interfered with him as a child.
>>
>>12323374
Some people just get so wound up on one subject. It's pathetic but what can one do? Let him read his Asterix or whatever it is snobs jerk off to.
>>
>>12323374
There are faggots everywhere. That said, I do think this thing is officially overblown and the influx of crossboarders and actual newfags is really showing.
>>
File: ea6.jpg (53KB, 640x370px) Image search: [Google]
ea6.jpg
53KB, 640x370px
>>12323374
I'm dying
>>
File: 1595.png (179KB, 400x750px) Image search: [Google]
1595.png
179KB, 400x750px
>>12314946
This is beyond incredible
>>
>>12323374
Didn't you know? Anime is made by disgusting chink-eyed rice-munching foreigners. He is a true patriot, who watches only 100% American cartoons just as Jesus said everyone should in the Ten Amendments.
>>
Really cool, duder. I thought the music was a little harsh & jankey but I think the idea of what genre suits the short is in the right place. I've been following your posts on /m/ for a while and It's good to see the progress.
>>
I'm impressed that it was featured on both Polygon and Kotaku, and neither one mentioned sexism or misogyny.
>>
>>12323467
Of course not. There was a grill pilot even though the empire doesn't actually let grills pilot TIE fighters.
>>
>>12323467
One of the things the Polygon article instantly pointed out was the presence of a female TIE pilot.
>>
>>12323489
No transgender cast members though.
And they were all white.
>>
>>12314946
that was awesome, loved the smile on the commanders face before the barrage started
>>
>>12323481
Why not?
>>
>>12323504
>And they were all white
Absolutelymisogynistic.tif
>>
>>12323532
Because it's actually not true.
Like how there can't be a black stormtrooper because they're all clones.
>>
>>12323532
Cause Sheev is extremely sexist. Girls can't enlist in the imperial navy (there are exceptions but they are rare).
>>
Congrats Otaking! I'll check this out later, but I've been seeing the waves it's been making, and as everyone had predicted, the typical gawker-esque sites are ablaze. Hope it leads to note successes!
>>
>>12323558
Stormtroopers aren't clones.
Clone Troopers were clones.
Stormtroopers are people that enlisted and went to the academy. You know like what Luke wanted to do.
>>
>>12323564
>Sheev

who? Is this one of those EU things?
>>
>>12323532
In the old EU, the writers extrapolated from the lack of Imperial military personnel in the movies who are not human men and decided that the Empire must be institutionally and culturally sexist and racist.
>>
File: Kusaka - World's Greatest Troll.jpg (44KB, 1233x697px) Image search: [Google]
Kusaka - World's Greatest Troll.jpg
44KB, 1233x697px
>>12323573
>being this new
>>
>>12323573
Sheev is, unfortunately, the official first name of Palpatine.
>>
>>12323570
I'm pretty sure that the Storm Troopers were originally formed from the leftover Clone Troopers, and they were then replaced with human recruits as needed.

Luke wasn't going to be a Stormtrooper, he was gonna be a pilot, most likely for a TIE fighter or some kind of transport.
>>
>>12323570
That's my point, we're on the same page here. Just like how there are female TIE pilots in canon, Stormtroopers aren't clones and therefore a black stormtrooper is totally possible. Though I guess the guy in the trailer is in disguise or whatever, but still.
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (786KB, 1644x1164px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
786KB, 1644x1164px
Best waifu.
>>
>>12323605
There's no female TIE pilots in canon.
>>
>>12323622
there's no rule saying there aren't any in canon
>>
>>12323643
None have been introduced therefore there are none in canon.
>>
when did any TIE pilots get any gender at all?
>>
>>12323700
Its not canon, its a fucking fan made video you fucktard.
>>
>>12314946
I think the Interdictor missile jammer was a tad too effective, and showing the fighters surface skimming right after the defeated volley made little sense, because at that point they'd just fire volley two at point blank anyway, because taking out an interdictor is worth the risk of point blank backblast.
>>
>Paul gets a sticky for his own personal work.
>The last sticky I got was shilling for VOTOMS.

Yeah whatever I ain't even mad not like I care I'll still have Gundam AGE and Ingram Pliskin.
>>
>>12323746
>Paul gets a sticky for finishing his own personal work.
>>
>>12314946
Well, I just watched the video. I can't say I'm a fan of your style, but it's still impressive. Good work.
>>
>>12323761
The mods move in mysterious ways, son.
>>
>>12323761
I gave you a demo.

You gave me nothing.

signed,

deadman_weed_Q8
>>
>>12323776
>>
>>12323776
>demo
>finished
>>
>>12314946
Fucking radical, 80's style. Needs voices though, make it happen.
>>
>>12323788
>>12323793
DEADMAN_WEED_Q8
>>
>>12323776
>>12323873
Lay off the hashish
>>
File: Happy Louis CK.gif (314KB, 300x240px) Image search: [Google]
Happy Louis CK.gif
314KB, 300x240px
>>12314946
Everything here's top notch. Great job, man, you deserve that rest.
>>
>>12323887
I'm making this post so that I don't have to look at this faggot's face every time I load /m/
>>
>>12323927
you could just use the catalog
>>
>>12323927
aww cmon

just because the Best Friends are super mechfan posers doesnt mean they are BAD guys

it just makes them posers
>>
>>12323960
>louis CK
Not sure if serious but that joke's been done to death
>>
>>12314946
>dose cluster missiles
MY DIIIIIIIIICK
>>
>>12314946
fantastic, I love the style
>>
File: 1417495065817.jpg (124KB, 810x810px) Image search: [Google]
1417495065817.jpg
124KB, 810x810px
>>12314946
>>
>>12324205
>>12324215
You already posted ITT stop trying to act like you're just seeing this
>>
>>12324217
But we are two different posters. And this my first time seeing the finished product. And I do have a strange boner.
>>
>>12310877
where can I watch this man, holy shit

don't keep this shit quiet, we need to hear of your exploits
>>
>>12314946
>>12314946

That was awesome. Thanks for your hard work. You have inspired me.
>>
OTAKING HAS DISNEY SENT THE ASSASSINS FOR YOU YET?
>>
>>12314946
very cool, definitely sharing this to everyone who enjoys SW
>>
>>12314946
think its pretty good
the characters where a bit stiff orfelt weird, and some scenes were to floaty(?) for me otherwise pretty damn good
>>
>>12323593
That's the worst name I've ever heard.
>>
>>12291956
Oh, hey, I remember you from White Chamber! Still among my favorite horror adventure games.
>>
>>12314946
We are living in glorious times.
>>
>video going viral
>people "react to" videos in related videos
Uh god. This is where I'd put it on private so people fuck off and look for something else to tweet about.
>>
>>12324830
>reaction videos in related videos
Noooooo
Just no
>>
>>12324673
Duh. Why do you think its become a meme?
You haven't seen Sheevposting over in /tv/?
>>
>>12324830

The man deserves some recognition for his work, doesn't seem like a one time deal either, from what I've seen here he tries to actively apply the scant 'criticism' here to his work, I mean I don't know why the fuck you would ask people here for anything constructive but shit, if you have the balls to take whatever hits people will throw at you unfiltered for the sake of being faggots then you deserve to get your stuff praised.
>>
One of the best things I liked about this was the way that casualties on both sides were taken and given in a pretty reasonable way. The Rebels despite being heavily outgunned and outnumbered, killed enough Ties to make it feel like a decent running fight and not just a one-side beat down that's so fucking common in anime.
>>
>>12324913
Nah, haven't been on /tv/ except by accident in a long time. Last I checked it was even more of a cesspool than it used to be.
>>
File: 1415275810425.jpg (36KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1415275810425.jpg
36KB, 500x375px
>>12324830
>Youtube culture
Hey this is anon here
Please like and subscribe to my channel!
>>
>>12325011
LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE IT WOULD REALLY HELP ME OUT.
>>
Approaching 2 million views.
Stay on target.
>>
>>12325043

It is nice to finally see something go viral that someone actually put years of hard work into.

Someone who isn't a total prick.

Bout time.
>>
>>12325049
Didn't he always compare OVAs to modern TV anime and complain about shading or something?
>>
File: kjkj3443.jpg (325KB, 1583x599px) Image search: [Google]
kjkj3443.jpg
325KB, 1583x599px
>>
>>12325069
>Japanese Anime
>>
>>12325065
>always
That was a long time ago.
>>
>>12314946
So did you use CCA Char, Ramba Ral and Yazan on purpose or did it just slip

I also love how you ripped the fucking mission and sounds straight from TIE Fighter. You know how to fucking pander.
>>
>>12325069
Nutters are really coming out of the woodwork because of this shit.

>>12325076
Yeah nearly a decade or so at least.
>>
>>12325079
That Yazan was actually MOST DANGERASS
>>
>>12322681
Thanks for your dedication in making something so incredibly cool. The amount of love you put into this animation is inspiring. I will be buying a mecha loving coworker lunch as soon as possible.
>>
File: otacon.jpg (124KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
otacon.jpg
124KB, 1280x720px
>>12325074
I don't see the problem here.

It's just like the ones I remember.
>>
>>12292619
What this guy said. In place of the second blink I feel the eyes should be subtly narrowing since she's focusing on the shot she's about to make.
>>
>>12325082
All kinds of people out there. Fun to read a lot of the stuff said about this. How much can we find I wonder?
>>
>>12325069
>CGI Animation
Dude, I've seen Otaking's CGI work. It's a bunch of bare bones cubes that a highschool student with blender could do better. He does just enough to get camera angles and shit, and draws all over it. I think someone is jelly.
>>
>/m/
>has one animator that actually worked for BBC and made a short with 2 million views
>/a/
>hasn't got shit

We officially and objectively better than /a/ now.
>>
>>12325619
They technically have Katawa Shoujo.

Which is, uh.

Kind of a zero sum gain.
>>
>>12314946
Congratulations
The TIE Fighter takeoff sequence was really cool.
>>
>>12325069
Now that's funny.
>>
>>12291956
looks fuckin sweet
>>
File: 1Auof.gif (579KB, 500x369px) Image search: [Google]
1Auof.gif
579KB, 500x369px
>>12325653
>>zero sum gain
>>
>>12325695
Shit, that's my bad. I'm tired.
>>
It's amazing how many people out there are complaining about Empire fanboyism, about the story not being developed properly, about how one sided it was and missing the fucking point of it being a cool load of space fightan.
>>
File: Crazy-Dog-Grooming-Compet-011.jpg (26KB, 400x500px) Image search: [Google]
Crazy-Dog-Grooming-Compet-011.jpg
26KB, 400x500px
>>12314946
>ctrl+f Tyrone Magnus reaction
>nothing
>mfw

https://youtu.be/ktA0IKdT3fM
>>
>>12325768
>Reaction video

Nope.
>>
File: 1410446453306.jpg (40KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1410446453306.jpg
40KB, 600x600px
>>12325768
Why?
>>
>>12325654
>that engine starting animation
>those pedals
so fucking beautiful
I legitimately squealed with delight when I saw this part.

ab-so-fucking-lutely amazing
the shading makes it perfect

>>12324533
this pretty much sums up all my issues with the short
>>
>>12325768
why do people feel the need to talk when they watch something for the first time?

>japanimation
huh?
>>
Is there an high quality download or something? Youtube kinda botched the video quality.
>>
>>12325939
The amount of times I've heard 'Robotech', 'Star Blazers', 'Voltron' and 'Japanimation' spouted in reaction to this vid make me think we're still in the early 80s.>>12325939
>>
>Detailed non-Liefeld artwork = japanimation

You know, this always did confuse me.
>>
File: 1405472557151.png (34KB, 251x317px) Image search: [Google]
1405472557151.png
34KB, 251x317px
>>12325768
Watching someone play video games is one thing, but watching someone watch something is a whole new level of completely fucking stupid.
>>
>>12325619
>riding on the coattails of what one person made
This is not something /m/ gets credit for, its what Otaking gets credit for.
>>
>>12291956
they stare angrily and blink too slowly, it creeps me out
>>
>>12325981
Well, that's the general intent of Otaking's animation style, isn't it? To mimic techniques and visuals from OVAs in the early and mid 80s? It doesn't bother me, that's what people know, it's just the word "japanimation" throws me off. Maybe it's because I didn't grow up in the 80s.

That aside, I felt like the best part of his animation wasn't how dynamic it was or how great the shading was, it was the effects. Trails, Cockpit design and feedback, explosions, that sort of thing. All else, he needs to work on the people himself because they do behave quite unnaturally. He needs to develop a bit of restraint with the dynamicism of animation and focus more on consistency. Some of the line work looks far too rough, like he used the line tool where there should have been distinctive smoothed curves. A little bit of AA would also go a long way. I'm not going to knock how impressive everything looks all put together, I'm a mere layman and he's spent a lot of time and effort on this.
>>
File: 1425097380589.jpg (39KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1425097380589.jpg
39KB, 500x500px
>>12325768
dude what
>>
>>12326015
This. The same will have to be said when VF make his game.
>>
>>12325653
I'm pretty sure the people that actually made the game aren't even 4channers.
>>
File: HAHAHAHAHA.png (933KB, 968x1051px) Image search: [Google]
HAHAHAHAHA.png
933KB, 968x1051px
>>12326130
>when VF make his game.

>Old man Sahib
>finishing anything
>ever

Honestly though, I hope it works out, the crazy geriatric fuck has some good ideas.
>>
File: 1416211335274.png (135KB, 381x450px) Image search: [Google]
1416211335274.png
135KB, 381x450px
>>12323617
Fucking Newtypes.
>>
>>12310877
>http://abccommercial.com/contentsales/program/prisoner-zero
>children
Nope. This is clearly for me.

Children won't give a shit about it. I will.
>>
>>12326340
It's SBS that gets to be honest about cartoons, the ABC still pretends that some of that stuff is for kids. Shit, at least we have SBS.
>>
>>12307138
For a gun that size, it needs a tripod, a bracing leg.
>>
>>12307138
Also, an ammo cartridge? Do they have giants doing maintenance?

>>12307234
Those rails are absurdly far apart. Also if you're thinking about anti-infantry and APS, do something about it's exposed rear. There isn't even a fucking camera.
>>
File: 1426549935949.jpg (481KB, 1164x1061px) Image search: [Google]
1426549935949.jpg
481KB, 1164x1061px
>>12320076
>Otaking and Flyingdebris working together
The sheer thought makes my penis erect.
>>
/a/utist crossboarder here.
Just wanted to say this was golden and awesome.
Good job.
You can be proud, Otaking. You've really done well on that one. I don't know anything about animation but this really is something, even to my pleb eyes.
Gonna go buy a bar of chocolate, I guess. And also finally watch some old 80s mecha. I really don't watch nearly enough mecha.
>>
File: Vader_and_fett.jpg (54KB, 405x614px) Image search: [Google]
Vader_and_fett.jpg
54KB, 405x614px
>>12314946
>>Dat Everything

All that hard work has finally paid off. Thank you for this.
>>
>>12323374
people like this want to distance themselves as much as possible from 'shameful, abnormal weeaboo faggots' not realizing that being a grown man getting this worked up over cartoons makes you look just as broken as them.

I wouldn't be surprised if this guy had a Something Awful account
>>
>>12323532
I'm pretty sure we came across a female elite tie fighter pilot in rogue squadron 3D.
>>
How long do you think it will be before there's a kids react/teens react video featuring Tie Fighter?
>>
>>12326908
Less than a week. But depends on how big it gets. It's only sitting around 2,000,000 views now, right?
>>
>>12320076
Or Shimmering Sword - who does the TRO's for Battletech
>>
Have any japs noticed the Geist cameo yet?
>>
Great job /m/an. Shame I missed this day 1.

I dont even like Star Wars but that was damn good. I'm sure you're gonna be getting some calls.
>>
>>12327212
Is anyone in Japan even talking about it? I thought they didn't care about gaijin shit.
>>
>>12327266
They don't.
>>
>>12327266
Otaking has unconquerable Yamato spirit.
>>
For some reason I imagine the TIE Bomber woman have a very posh British accent.
>>
>>12327297
Can we get a 30 second short of her Gunpla-building (well, tie model building ) in her quarters?
>>
>>12327297
When you join the Empire you suddenly become British.
>>
>>12314946
Many congratulations! Looks amazing, especially that Itano circus.
>>
>>12307469
Because it's an awesome name

>>12310847
>I'd have to quit my job and do this full time, 9 hours a day.
Guys working on comics do it 20 hours a day at the expense of their personal lives, family and health. Get on their level scrub
>>
>Don't support me on Patreon, because I don't have one! And don't donate to my Kickstarter, because I don't have one of those either. Instead, if you enjoyed this, give someone at your workplace, uni, school or whatever a random bar of chocolate or can or Coke or something. Seriously, it'll probably make their day.
>That would totally make my day.

You're a prince, sir
>>
>>12327422
Haha, cheers.
Also, just to clarify, I'm not mocking people with Kickstarters or Patreons. A lot of people actually use the services as they were meant to be used and we've got some really good stuff as a result. It's just the sort of "pay me just for existing" folks that I was having a bit of a dig at.
It was probably a bit mean in hindsight.
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (672KB, 1296x1240px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
672KB, 1296x1240px
The nepotism beings!
Actually, Ollie mentioned that he knows me in real life, so it's OK. And then he slags off Robotech for being a poor adaptation of superior source material in an article below.
I guess we at Robotechx.com are no longer laughing.
>>
>>12314946
A little awkward a few times, but jesus cuvie that was amazing.
>>
File: 1415761796860.jpg (46KB, 497x497px) Image search: [Google]
1415761796860.jpg
46KB, 497x497px
>>12314946
>2 million views
>>
>>12327485
I think 2.2 mil is our lot!
>>
>>12327490
Congrats Ota, you honestly deserve all the light being cast on ya man.
>>
>>12327490
I dunno man, I mean sure it's going to peter off but a million a day! I could easily see it going much higher.
>>
>>12327501
Semi-small youtube channel here. From my experience the views are still going to come in for the first week - though its going to drop significantly unless some more press pushes it.

Usually first 3 days are your big views - then 4th day is about a 25% drop, then it goes down about 10% a day roughly - again unless some press publish it
>>
>only four years of working for free
Shit, I did twice that I never got any recognition. Fuck this gay earth.
>>
>>12327518
Where is your fan animation of a popular billion dollar franchise to show for it?

I'll watch it.
>>
>>12327518
It depends on what you do. Not everything works out. It's just how the world works. Perhaps you should have not done it for free?
Also, we are yet to see if this will be anything but 15 minutes of youtube popularity for him.
And anyway, it is still awesome, so he does deserve recognition. The fact that somebody deserved or didn't deserve it more has nothing to do with what he deserves.
>>
>>12327518
People are only watching it because it's Star Wars though.
Not only that, but it's about Star Destroyers and Tie Fighters, which Star Wars fans have been particularly starved for, for the past decade or so. It's not at 2 million views because of awesome animation or peerless skill or anything.

I guarantee that when my mech project is done, it'll get nowhere near this many views. But that's Ok, because I can always do a 5-tone shading G1 Transformers short showing the Decepticons being awesome if I want more fame. Oh ho ho~
>>
File: 1305739251466.jpg (48KB, 527x354px) Image search: [Google]
1305739251466.jpg
48KB, 527x354px
>>12327460
I miss that guy's crazy schemes to make Macross fans angry.

Step 1. Get a time machine and a Robotech DVD box set
Step 2. Travel back to 3 October 1981
Step 3. Infiltrate a major broadcast network
Step 4. Air Robotech on American TV a year before Macross in japan
Step 5. Macross fanboys will become MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And we at robotechx all laughing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>12327578
Ota please - my roboner can only get so extended
>>
>>12327578
Just asking, where did you learn to draw?

I basically have zero drawing skills and would like to start somewhere. 5 more years and I'll be wizard and I need to do as much shit as possible before that happens.
>>
>>12327578
Please make that side scrolling beat 'em up into a reality.
>>
>>12327578
>I guarantee that when my mech project is done, it'll get nowhere near this many views.

It will if you name it something really popular. Or like, EVERYTHING really popular. Behold my greatest work, Star Wars Attack on Titan Frozen Twilight Sword Art Online Harry Potter Call of Duty League of Legends, featuring the ace pilot Mario Pikachu and his rival Master Chief Solid Snake.
>>
>>12327578
>I guarantee that when my mech project is done, it'll get nowhere near this many views. But that's Ok, because I can always do a 5-tone shading G1 Transformers short showing the Decepticons being awesome if I want more fame. Oh ho ho~

You don't give yourself enough credit.

Also, most people are ADHD-addled mongoloids who should all deserve the shallow culture they get.
>>
>>12327754
People on Facebook talk way too much. How fucking long do two people have to go back and forth before they're satisfied?
>>
>>12327759

*unsheathes katana*

Nothing personell, kid
>>
>>12327774
Roleplaying is different since going back and forth is the whole point. Stuff like that is just funny to me, it's the people who keep going "I AGREE" "NO I AGREE" "FUCK YEAH AGREEING" that piss me off. We get it, so stop talking. You know?
>>
File: suicide tgt.png (113KB, 302x332px) Image search: [Google]
suicide tgt.png
113KB, 302x332px
>>12327706
>>12327578

Just make more like this, Otaking, and rake in the phat cash

https://youtu.be/E1Xb6A8hnMs
>>
>>12327783

Roleplaying on Facebook is pretty depressing, though.
>>
>>12327774
I...
...no...
No, this can't be real. Why must you show me these things?
>>
>>12327791
Yeah? Where do you prefer to roleplay?
>>
File: pomegrenate tumblr.jpg (168KB, 871x654px) Image search: [Google]
pomegrenate tumblr.jpg
168KB, 871x654px
>>12327804

Because I'm already a demon, Kaz.

>>12327812

I'm not a 15 year old who uses too much mascara.

https://youtu.be/GkKmJsoZd9Y
>>
File: Chronicles of otaking.jpg (132KB, 797x566px) Image search: [Google]
Chronicles of otaking.jpg
132KB, 797x566px
>>12327774

In my younger days, I used to go on IRC and annoy roleplayers.
>>
Download link where
>>
>>12327848

I really want to see an Otaking the Hedgehog now
>>
File: 057733.png (66KB, 208x238px) Image search: [Google]
057733.png
66KB, 208x238px
>>12327848
>do you want to use a gradual experience-buuilding system? Or are we equipping materia slots?
autism
>>
>>12327848
>not accepting the proposal for a session of freeform D&D
It's his loss, really.
>>12327828
What the hell? They didn't ever eat pomegranate?
I get why they're triggered. I would be envious of him too.
Also, if you're triggered by freakin' color red, apparently, what the hell you are doing in this world? Not everything that is red is automatically gore, for god's sake.
>>
>>12327870
I would choose materia slots, personally. Seems more fun.
I'm not sure how it would be done, though.
>>
File: 1361243977509.jpg (8KB, 251x171px) Image search: [Google]
1361243977509.jpg
8KB, 251x171px
>>12327754
It disgusts me that people like these two exist.
>>
File: tumblr trigger warnings.jpg (503KB, 544x1192px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr trigger warnings.jpg
503KB, 544x1192px
>>12327871

There was a post from a person who was triggered when a Walmart greeter said hello to her. Because social anxiety.

The word no longer has any meaning.
>>
>>12327883
not for long :^)
>>
>>12327892
>spooky skeletons
>sex which is literally responsible for you being alive unless you're a clone or a robot secretly
>childbirth (this one is actually pretty nasty when you know what happens, but really?)
>death or dying (memento mori is not his motto)
>blood (and apparently medicine in general)
It must be hard to live in the world where the most basic commodities of life can't ever be mentioned. What the hell does he even talk about daily? About 90% of fiction has some of these things. Does he only go for the moeblobbest of moeblob shows?
I kinda want to show him I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream. The video game, though an original novel would be fine too.
And then look at his reaction. He would probably be triggered every five seconds.
But yeah, that's kinda offtopic.
>>
>>12327858
>I really want to see an Otaking the Hedgehog now

But I already did this:
I don't know why people are so impressed with TIE Fighter when this is clearly my masterpiece.
>>
>>12327942

Thanks, I'm not sure whether to cry tears of joy or vomit. Or both.
>>
>>12327892
>TRIGGER WARNING: [graphic discussion of gastropods]
>>
>>12327578
>But that's Ok, because I can always do a 5-tone shading G1 Transformers short showing the Decepticons being awesome if I want more fame. Oh ho ho~
Ojou-sama grade hardsubs as well, please.
>>
File: 1424282637263.jpg (79KB, 500x461px) Image search: [Google]
1424282637263.jpg
79KB, 500x461px
>>12327828
>Tag your Gore and pomegranates please
Sometimes I really just don't have words
>>
>>12327942
why is Otakang crying?
>>
>>12328439
It's just this glorious hump between his legs. He's admiring its beauty.
And he's not crying. It's raining. Acid.
>>
>>12327942
>gradients

Ugh
>>
>>12291956
>Be on 4chan break
>see this
> wonder if /m/ has a sbeecky of based otaking
>they do

you faggots
>>
File: 1424086087318.jpg (278KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1424086087318.jpg
278KB, 800x800px
>>12327110
So does Alex.
I mean, maybe not as often, but he puts out work.
>>
>making Disney cartoons

Christ its already over 2 million views. Maybe Disney will take notice and hire you on as a lead or something.
Or maybe they'll just sue your ass
Cool cartoon though
>>
>>12328699
If Disney wants 2D animators again for whatever reason they'll just rehire all the people they knew from Princess and the Frog instead of some random internet person.
>>
>>12323658
>Implying *all* pilots in SW were named.
>>
>>12328699
>Maybe Disney will take notice and hire you on as a lead or something.

Let me guess. You honestly think the animation in this short is good. From a professional standpoint, it's not. At all. Even the actual character art is severely lacking. Look at >>12317927 for example. The geist lookalike's head is hilariously big for the body and he's made out of sharp corners and jagged lines. Just because something has a lot of tones on it does not mean it's well done. I'm not trying to be an ass, because it's seriously impressive that he did all of this by himself, but give credit where credits is due and don't blow things out of proportion or lose perspective on how good something actually is.
>>
File: Howlrunner.png (195KB, 300x418px) Image search: [Google]
Howlrunner.png
195KB, 300x418px
>>12323658
do we have to go through this again

>>12328999
Cive Rashon was a canon named female imperial pilot before disney ruined everything
>>
>>12327110
>>12320076
>>12328675
You can find Anthony Scroggins, aka. Shimmy in /tg/ pretty often - look for the BattleTech General. He still does drawing streams too, I think. Iglesias trolls around occasionally too, but has been very quiet since MWO abducted him. Go drop a message there, if you're interested. The neckbears there are pretty grody, though, even if knowledgeable in the BT style of mech design.
>>
>>12329041
FlyingDebris is awesome. I think it's a real shame that his great art is being squandered by MWO's shenanigans, I hope he gets a better gig soon, one way or another ;-;
>>
File: wahaha.gif (3MB, 250x255px) Image search: [Google]
wahaha.gif
3MB, 250x255px
>>12323558
Are black people uncloneable?
>>
>>12329141
Who knows. Just think what would occur if there were a clone army of Lando Calrissian.
>>
>>12329033
The card game was never canon. Even in the Lucas days.
And there has still never been a female TIE pilot that was officially part of the empire.
>>
>>12329184
Erisi Dlarit. Unless you mean Palpatine Empire only.
>>
>>12329184
A card game isn't the only place the Howlrunners, and Cive Rashon specifically, mentioned or referenced.
>>
>>12329197
Not canon. Which is sad cause the X-wing novels are literally the best star wars novels there are.

>>12329200
Also not canon.
>>
>>12329141

Ask /tv/
>>
>>12329221
Oh god that makes me laugh every time.
>>
File: img000004.jpg (230KB, 835x1200px) Image search: [Google]
img000004.jpg
230KB, 835x1200px
This has probably been said already, but you need to work on animating acceleration. Every time something or someone had to go from being still to moving in a still frame you had it instantly move at full speed.
>>
>>12329280
is this from gundam sousei? and why is spike spiegel giving Kamille animation lessons?
>>
>>12329352
That's Itano schooling his animation director.
>>
File: ss (2015-03-26 at 05.25.25).jpg (142KB, 852x468px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2015-03-26 at 05.25.25).jpg
142KB, 852x468px
>turbofan in an engine meant for a space craft

w-what?

Is this the canon engine design?
>>
>>12329418
Nobody knows how a "Twin Ion Engine" looks, just go with it.
>>
>>12329352
That's Ichiro Itano dude. One of the best animators to ever come out of Japan.

Also the worst director, but that's a whole different story.
>>
>>12329219
The Tie Fighter game isn't canon either, you know.
>>
>>12329440
Oh please. Just because he had the Jews as the bad guys~

Okay, Angel Cop sucked for other reasons, but fuck if it wasn't enjoyable.
>>
>>12329433

I'm not complaining, the design and animation is still spectacular but I can't contain my autism, a lot of it looks like something you would put in an air-breathing engine, like that vented radiator(?) in the top of the picture.

To be fair I suppose its not a full turbofan design its just strange to see a fan there. I suppose he used real engines as reference when drawing these.
>>
>>12329451
Angel Cop is amazing but I wonder how one can possibly have an idea that terrible and then nobody tells you "Uh maybe you shouldn't antagonize the jews they don't take kindly to that".

I mean I guess it was Japan in the 90's, probably nobody there had ever seen a Jew.
>>
>>12329418
>Sienar Fleet Systems logo.

That's a pretty cool detail bit.
>>
>>12329418
>>12329433
this is an ion engine, and no its not as powerful as it sounds but its the fastest way we have of sending things to other planets
>>
>>12329463
Everyone loves the NSTAR and the other ion engines, but they are by no means the fastest at anything. What they are is enormously efficient per unit mass.
>>
>>12329483
Its fast cause of the efficiency since you can keep them accelerating for long periods of time.
>>
>>12329463

I'm well aware of what a modern ion engine looks like, and they don't have any fans to speak of for obvious reason. As some other anons have said ion engines are slow, they're capable of some serious speeds after years of constant acceleration because they're so efficient but our modern ion engines aren't exactly strike craft material.

Of course this is the star wars universe so I'm not expecting realism but I was just wondering if that engine design was canon or not, since I couldn't find anything on engines in star wars.
>>
>>12329444
No one said it was.
>>
File: boob bounce.gif (2MB, 297x330px) Image search: [Google]
boob bounce.gif
2MB, 297x330px
So, anyone posted this on nico yet?
>>
>>12329729

who?
>>
File: sheev.jpg (36KB, 500x480px) Image search: [Google]
sheev.jpg
36KB, 500x480px
>>12291956
we sticky now
unlimited powah
>>
>>12329843

You mean minutes, unlimited minutes.
>>
File: 1299564470077.jpg (89KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1299564470077.jpg
89KB, 600x600px
>>12314946
>>
Coming up on 2.5 million views now.
>>
File: stormtrooper.jpg~original.jpg (16KB, 250x166px) Image search: [Google]
stormtrooper.jpg~original.jpg
16KB, 250x166px
>>12314946
GLORY TO THE EMPIRE!!!
>>
>>12329860
Do we get rollover data too?
>>
>>12328401
Please tag your disturbing EVA-related imagery, even if it is just a geode. My family was killed by Angels and an Annofag ran over my dog.
>>
>>12328045
Nasu gave me that trigger, too.
>>
>>12324913
Sheevposting hasn't been relevant on /tv/ for months now. It's a completely dead meme.
>>
>>12329458

Don't you know that Jews fear the Samurai?

I want to know why tried to localize it and how the fuck did they rationalize it?
>>
>>12331096
Manga was licensing as many gory grimdark titles as they could, so they probably didn't even know all the anti-american anti-zionist stuff was in the script to begin with.
So they cut all of it out and replaced it with made-up nonsense.
>>
>>12330533
My cousin was killed by the Hell's Angels...
>>
>>12330999
Then why do I see it every day?
>>
>>12331383
maybe some autist spams 0-reply threads, I don't know
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW4EZE7Ecz4
>tfw Otaking still can't be Studio Nue
>>
That's some 90's level shading man, good job. I would make the girls rounder, and more exaggerated. Especially with breasts.
>>
>>12331460
kinda hard to accentuate the tits when she has a massive tie fighter pilot box on her chest.
>>
the ship and character designs look awesome, but that animation is poopy.
>>
>>12331722
He's stated several times that he's not an animator but a designer.
>>
File: M mecha.jpg (526KB, 900x1275px)
M mecha.jpg
526KB, 900x1275px
I remember when the first sample video was shown off like a year or two ago and it got leaked onto youtube where faggots started dubbing in shitty music over it.

A few days after it made the rounds and made it into a few news websites I actually had a guy at work tell me "Did you hear? They are making a Starwars anime!", and I instantly knew what he was talking about and I was like "Oh yeah? Sounds great......."

/m/ represent.
>>
>>12332011
>Don't aim here pal It won't break!

Every time.
>>
>>12291956

It's a little strange in motion, I would say check out some art books or just motion capture, try to read the economy of movement in people and emulate it.

But that being said, I'd watch a movie in this style. New is always frowned upon, until it's a hit, like Knights of Sidonia for example. People shit on that in the few episode then proceeded to watch and love it to the end.

I love your work man, great job on your Star Wars project and looking forward to more.
>>
>>12326012
Unless it's The Sims.

Otaking, I wish I could compliment you on a job well done, but considering all the time and effort you've put into this video, it'd just come off half-hearted. So instead, I'll just say "Good work Shinji.
>>
These guys seem to know what /m/ is-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrdvJqipJD8
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBOs2fB-1R8

>"All the SHADING, everything. It's like Macross!"
>>
>>12332580
>>12332585
Why would you wanna watch someone watch something?
>>
>>12332604
It's a mystery. I don't get it myself.
Nice that they're enjoying it though.
>>
>>12332580
>>12332585
>black people
>>
File: Dezaki Cobra.jpg (28KB, 465x308px) Image search: [Google]
Dezaki Cobra.jpg
28KB, 465x308px
>Almost 2.6M views
>mfw

OtaKing, you better bring back the glory of the 80's, and next time do put a Dezaki Postcard like I said before, bitches love Dezaki Postcards.
Again, good job co/m/rade.
>>
>>12332604
I have less a problem with that and more with them potentially making a complete fools of themselves via ignorance.

I can't stand watching people embarrass themselves.
>>
>>12317927
>HE'S JUST A TIE PILOT
>>
>Just got done watching the Lego movie
>Come here and find this is finally done
Goddamn, it's a great time for western animation.
>>
Wow. /a/ really fucking hates otaking, don't they?

https://archive.moe/a/thread/123094874/#123097610
>>
>>12333152
/a/ in general thinks acute angles are upskirt shots and that the entire color palette consists of pastel.

There's contrarian faggots everywhere, too.
>people like a thing
>I better talk shit so everyone knows how big my dick is
>>
>>12333152
Because there weren't negative comments like this on /m/, right retard?
>>
>>12333152
Because they have shit taste and make low quality posts.

Why some people aren't able to see them as the laughing stock of the site in addition to /b/, /v/, /s4s/, and /mlp/ is beyond me. Even moreso how /a/ doesn't realize it is also shocking.
>>
>>12329418

I really liked that start-up. reminded me of that opening scene from Maddox-01.
>>
>>12333152
I'm from /a/, and I loved this short, for whatever it's worth.
The bigger the board, the larger amount of random funposting; it's just how it works. For how huge /a/ is, it's actually doing pretty well.
It also maybe because they might argue it's really closer to /co/ subject matter than /a/ subject matter, and board rivalry is a thing.
>>12333198
/a/ isn't nearly as bad as all of these boards yet. It is still growing, though.
>>
>>12329014
>from a professional standpoint

And off to the garbage bin with you.
>>
>>12333249
It's a completely moot point anyway, Disney has all but killed its traditional animation teams and I would stay right the fuck away from the creative vacuum they call their CG division.
>>
>>12333253
>It's a completely moot point anyway

Who's point?
>>
>>12333265
Not funny, anon.
>>
>>12333253
Did You Know?: a 'moot point' was originally meant something worth discussion and debate; a topic you would bring up at a moot (meeting). We can blame lawyers' mock trials (moot cases) and the general laziness of centuries of English speakers for the change in meaning to the exact opposite of its original intention.
>>
>>12311231
>Animators Survival Kit
Reading right now. I'm not an animator and can't draw, but it's surprisingly interesting even on its own.
Walk patterns is something I'm now kinda interested in on my own.
>>
>>12333281
Kinda like "literally"?
>>
>>12333287
Yes. The alternate and contradictory meanings of those words have been part of English for so long that it's not worth making a fuss over, despite what some wannabe smartasses might claim.

However, if you hear someone using "bemused" or "nonplussed" wrong, smack them. Those are cool words and the tide hasn't completely turned against them yet.
>>
>>12333249
He's right, though. Get some eyes. The animation is worse than a Bakshi film.
>>
>>12333574
>The animation is worse than a Bakshi film.

Is that supposed to be an insult?
Fire and Ice looks fantastic.
>>
>>12333152
>https://archive.moe/a/thread/123094874/#123097610
>>12333198

/a/ is the /v/ of anime.
>>
>>12333646
What the hell does that have to do with Warframe? Aren't they all completely armored in that game? Well, some sort of weird fleshy skintight armor, but still.
>>
>>12333660

They're talking about one of the devs.
>>
>>12333662
The fuck? It's a video game thread, why aren't they just talking about the video game? I don't understand people.
>>
>>12333676
>The fuck? It's a video game thread, why aren't they just talking about the video game? I don't understand people.

It's like you don't want a qt skeleton girlfriend.
>>
>>12333676
Because it's a goddamn joke. Well, half-serious joke. Of funposting kind.
They probably talked about the game too; it's just a running joke with 4chan - talking about penises and panty lines (and not only that) in the most serious and educated manner, especially if it's only loosely related to the subject. It's funny in the "deliberately creating irony" way.
>>
>>12332634
While their reactions can be amusing, I hate that people do this in the first place. It's so fucking egotistical.
>>
File: 03FrodoStubbedToe.gif (4MB, 652x360px) Image search: [Google]
03FrodoStubbedToe.gif
4MB, 652x360px
>>12333601
Yeah, it's supposed to be an insult. Ralph Bakshi is a fucking joke when it comes to rotoscoping and is literally the standard of bad.
>>
>>12333676
The fuck? It's a mecha anime thread, why aren't they just talking about the mecha anime instead of [staff member]? I don't understand people.
>>
>>12334044
Literally nobody talks about the staff of mecha anime.
>>
>>12334196
You're clearly a pleb. Looking at the staff is the only way to determine whether the anime will be good or bad.
>>
>>12334764
Not him, but you could, you know, also watch the anime itself.
If you're talking about an initial guess, though, then you're probably right. But it isn't sure to be right even then.
>>
>>12334196
>Literally nobody talks about the staff of mecha anime.
What are you even doing on /m/?
>>
>>12334196
There are DAILY Tomino, Nagai, Kawamori, Oshii, and Nagano threads. Is this your first time here?
>>
>>12329547
So far ion-engine based missions haven't utilized them to reach record speeds. Not to mention that we haven't really had anything with honking-big RTG-powered 200W+ ion engines or anything like that.

Generally they have been employed to save weight or allow for a longer mission times.

There are few things where being much faster actually gains you anything.
>>
>>12333238
>/a/ isn't nearly as bad as all of these boards yet
Hilarious.
>>
>>12333238
/a/ is just as shit, it's just a different variety of shit.
>>
OtaKing has no idea how to use shading. His work always looks terrible because of it.
>>
>>12335716
You're right. He should give up.
>>
>>12335729
No, he should learn how to do shading well. He shades everything like it's in a dark room with a single light-source, even when it's obvious that there is plenty of ambient light.
Overuse of high-contrast shading is a eyesore.
>>
>>12335745
I guess you must not like most 80s OVAs then.
>>
>>12335751
80s OVAs are not shaded like that.
>>
>>12335765
>>
>>12335765
You're right, Cyber City Oedo 808 was from 1990.
>>
>>12335875
And was shaded correctly given the way the scenes were lit for the most part. OtaKing doesn't do that.
>>
>>12333198
/a/ is far and away the best fast board on 4chan.
Don't compare apples and oranges.
>>
>>12336058
>/a/ is far and away the best fast board
But that's /pol/.
/a/ has for ages been a shithole of general threads and cute girl imagedumps shit that should've been moved to /c/ long ago.
>>
The animation for the mecha and ships is great. The characters need work though.
>>
>>12336127
Yes, /pol/ even managed to make the ultimate banepost.
>>
File: TrooperAce.gif (719KB, 160x120px) Image search: [Google]
TrooperAce.gif
719KB, 160x120px
>>12332855

It's in 2.7M views now.
>>
>>12297750
I am a fan of this.....very jiggly..
>>
>>12336818
like if girls were made entirely out of boobs
>>
>>12314946
fuggin nice mate!
>>
>>12297750
My favorite bit is that I've introduced Paul to the animation tool that would allow him to do this but he's so old he's gone senile and forgotten about it.

Shaking my head at you, Paul.
>>
>>12329729
no but I am glad you did...
>>
>>12291956
When you get about to animating the talking make sure you do something with their eyes and eyebrows too to get emotion across. Just don't go crazy with it and do too much.

The character movement's a little strange in that they are either completely still or very exaggerated. I think it would be good to add small movements to the characters like one of the characters drumming their fingers on something impatiently while waiting for their turn at the pool table. It would make them feel less robotic I think.

The space ship's really cool. The red light of the hanger or whatever it is reminds me of a toaster oven, but in a good way.
>>
>>12336450

>gif

You sicken me
>>
>>12337207
Oh how far American animation has fallen. We mastered animation in the 40s and 50s it seems.
>>
>>12337257
Actually it was animate by Russians
Americans have shifted to 3D animation entirely though, and it seems like they're the best at this.
>>
>>12333840
>That moment where the geometry of the face completely changes
>>
File: 08LegolasThugLife.gif (2MB, 652x360px) Image search: [Google]
08LegolasThugLife.gif
2MB, 652x360px
>>12337428
You don't even know how deep the rabbit hole goes
>>
>>12323617
>lick the screen, did you?
>>
>>12323593
I like Steve better. From now on, his name is Steve Palpatine.
>>
File: 1391095967143.gif (2MB, 293x219px) Image search: [Google]
1391095967143.gif
2MB, 293x219px
>>12314946
>2 million views and climbing

Good job, your hard work and effort paid off.
>>
File: VF-kun's first promise of SRW E.gif (845KB, 315x266px) Image search: [Google]
VF-kun's first promise of SRW E.gif
845KB, 315x266px
>>12337509
>>12333840
>>
>>12327578
>But that's Ok, because I can always do a 5-tone shading G1 Transformers short showing the Decepticons being awesome if I want more fame. Oh ho ho~
better have a totally-not-instruments of destruction as background music
>>
>>12333265
too soon
>>
まとまらないと思うが
>>
>>12331096
>>12331144
They tried replacing it with generic badguy Americans, like in Ghost in the Shell SAC, but as usual whenever Manga Entertainment tried to touch up a script they did the literary equivalent of wiping their ass with it.
>>
File: FIweadafe08ew6.jpg (199KB, 640x880px) Image search: [Google]
FIweadafe08ew6.jpg
199KB, 640x880px
>>
>>12336908
Aren't you like 50 years old and living amongst the Beduin?
>>
>>12340108
I wonder, how do you get a cut across the face like that, when you are a fighter pilot?
>>
>>12340122
................a fight at lunchtime, maybe?
funny fact, one time I wrote a story about a space fighter pilot and he have a scar in the left side of the mouth crossing his cheek, my excuse for that is because in one battle he was hit and the control panels exploded in his face.
>>
File: ada.png (1008KB, 1169x826px) Image search: [Google]
ada.png
1008KB, 1169x826px
>>12340122
Cause she was a klutz and ran into a closet
>>
>>12340338
I highly respect that he actually thought that through instead of only giving a scar because "damn it looks so cool."
>>
>>12340338
So moe
>>
>>12340108
>artifacts

DAMMIT, OTAKING!
>>
>>12340338
From where are you guys taking this pics?
>>
>>12340432
Link

http://www.mediafire.com/view/cpnc1oj27dkosc4/Tie%20Fighter_project%20materials.pdf
>>
>>12340338
>>Super TIE bomber ace.
>>Get beat by a closet.
>>
>>12340453
Danke.
>>
>>12329562
TIE engines do actually have decent data floating around.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/P-s4_twin_ion_engine
>>
File: puke or seizure.jpg (273KB, 920x662px) Image search: [Google]
puke or seizure.jpg
273KB, 920x662px
>>12327942
>>
>>12314946
>803 starfats are mad because their precious starwars has been turned into animu
>>
>>12341246
>IT DOESN'T HAVE THE JOHN WILLIAMS MUSIC DAMN IT! HOW CAN I MASTURBATE WITHOUT JOHN WILLIAMS' SCORE IN MY EARS?!
>>
>>12341306
>I NEED to hear the exact same recording of Imperial March for the 78th thousandth time in my life, dammit!
>>
>>12314946
All right, finally got around to watching it and I'm ready to give my two cents worth.

The music is fine in its own right, but I think the philharmonic format suits the space opera better. Then again, that raises the problem of finding an orchestra willing to play out an original score for a project done entirely by one person and therefore doesn't need an actual budget. Unfortunate; I think a medley of the iMUSE soundtrack would sound freakin' awesome orchestrated.

I think you should've taken a moment to show the Rebels giving some sort of surprised reaction at the arrival of the Imperial fleet to handwave why they jobbed so hard. It could also serve as a nod to the intro to the original game.

And on a minor note, showing the pilots (on both sides) targeting specific parts of the capital ships (i.e. laser cannons/turrets, warhead launchers, shield generators, etc.) would've been a nice nod to in-game functions.

Now, observations.
1:04 - Looks like Colonel Killing with Gihren Zabi's hair style.
2:16 - Escorting tugs must be agonizing given their average speed rarely tops, what, 5 MGLT in-game?
4:05 - Hey, it's just like the replay cam footage!
4:11 - Looks like you've played Rebel Assault as well.
>>
>>12341318
And now for the REALLY fun part: Nitpicks!
0:25 - Do probe droids function in space?
1:23 - Movements look sorta overcranked.
2:21 - I'd have thought he'd be a stormtrooper.
2:35 - Those gestures; are the Rebels maintaining radio silence? Seems like an exercise in futility at that point.
2:49 - Shouldn't the entire control yoke be moving? And shouldn't the throttle be on the left-hand side?
2:58 - Looks like the lasers are being fired from the wing roots rather than below the main viewport. Also, targeting brackets typically don't roll as the target/ship maneuvers.
3:05 - Looks like the control column isn't even connected, physically or otherwise.
3:47 - Did they use the gravity well to throw off the warheads? I think throwing their vectors off THAT far is a bit unbalanced; perhaps if they'd veered off and struck the ship in non-critical locations.
4:10 - Off-center thrust? Shouldn't that ship be yawing at a sickening number of rpm?
4:13 - Are those contrails? In space? Then again, sound is out of place in a vacuum too, so whatever.
>>
>>12341341
(cont.)
4:17 - Scraping the wing panels across the asteroid surface? Or does the asteroid somehow retain trace elements of an atmosphere?
4:39 - The Itano circus seems a bit out of place; I think that would be better suited to a missile boat.
4:43 - Why'd he close his S-foils?
5:35 - Are those TIEs loitering instead of getting stuck in or are the capital ships STILL launching?
5:46 - I suppose the Gall Force-esque warhead trajectories would be somewhat difficult to recreate from the conventional launcher location on the prow. I also suspect Gall Force probably wasn't the first to use that visual effect...
5:54 - Nothing says rude interruption like having your ship blown to stardust during your morning jog.
5:59 - He seems only mildly surprised by the lack of explosive decompression from those hull breaches. At least he eventually got the explosive bit.
6:20 - Should've taken a few more ion hits, in my opinion. And the pitching seems out of place, especially for something of that mass; perhaps if the engines had just flickered out and it lost speed (despite no atmosphere to offer wind resistance!).
6:32 - If it was gonna go up from a strafing run the hull should've shown considerably more battle damage already.
6:46 - Debris seems a bit bunched up for having been flung all over the place at high speeds in explosions.
>>
>>12341246
>hurr durr negative opinions not allowed, only hugs and sparkles
why don't you go to facebook and like everything?
>>
>>12340338
lol
>>
>>12340586
Not really any good pics though, other than the ass of a TIE.
>>
http://rocketnews24.com/2015/03/26/561687/
>>
So, have ANY of the articles on this made mention of /m/ or 4chan?
>>
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm25870370
>>
Is OtaKing still around?
>>
>>12342159
>implying mainstream sites would ever refer to us
I think the best we got was the 'recognition' for Katawa Shoujo, but even for that they mostly gave the credit to reddit. It was nice to see Paul credit us at the end though.
>>
>>12342324
no, he died seconds after posting the video.
rip in pip.
>>
>>12337257
And then got lazy
>>
>>12342327
/vp/'s game got an article!

They sort of wish it hadn't, though.
>>
>>12341610

sorry i only upvote on reddit.
>>
File: sigil of aprovement.gif (2MB, 383x302px) Image search: [Google]
sigil of aprovement.gif
2MB, 383x302px
>>12291956
good work based OP
>>
>>12343092
/vp/'s been mainstream ever since the XY leaks, and even before
>>
>>12342174

>This is a short animation was produced and spent the years of four years the 80s anime lover is a British animator Paul Johnson (Otakingu 77 077) to a holiday in Japan.
>>
>>12327578

No shit Star Wars short is going to get more attention. That's why you do things like this to build up the fanbase. Then you start doing original works.

Fan works = draw people in to promote original works.
>>
>>12344026
He did it because it gave him decent technical designs and a basic thing to go on.
>>
File: congrotulutons.gif (557KB, 500x341px) Image search: [Google]
congrotulutons.gif
557KB, 500x341px
>>12344178
>>
File: 1425715672051.jpg (22KB, 398x500px)
1425715672051.jpg
22KB, 398x500px
>>12314946
there still hope for /m/an.
ABSOLUTELY NOICE.
>>
>>12345399
lol?

Nice work by the way op
>>
>>12329451
Megazone 23 part II. Do I need to say further?
>>
>>12342332
Rather rude of him to do that without even hanging around to read the feedback we provided.
>>
>>12307234
if you're going with a walker design atleast add hidden/fold up arms or something so that it can repair and rearm itself. believe it or not a tank actually has 10-8 hands for that purpose

helicopters and planes have two but they need those the whole time for flying but they don't need to stick around for the whole battles anyways
>>
>>12329418
This little scene made me blow my load. All that attention to detail. Must have been a nightmare to draw and then animate.
>>
File: Xenogears.full.384059.jpg (643KB, 2162x1535px) Image search: [Google]
Xenogears.full.384059.jpg
643KB, 2162x1535px
Did the opening cutscene of Xenogears use 3D rotoscoping for the characters the same way Otaking does? I noticed they move in a similar manner.
>>
>>12347282
No, it's just 90's IG doing their extremely heavy amounts of digital tweening, which I suppose is also what OtaKing does, but it has nothing to do with rotoscoping.
>>
>>12328675

this picture just makes me angry.
>>
>>12347466
It's a terrible idea, admittedly. But technically putting a hatchet and TSM on a LAM is a legal design in battletech. I pointed this out, someone else statted out a 'mech, and Alex whipped up that picture.
>>
>>12348399
So what LAM is that? Because it looks cool.
>>
>>12348676
It's not anything canon, just a custom design made using the construction rules.
>>
THREE
MILLION
VIEWS
>>
>>12341817
Point is they're explicitly noted as having no moving parts. Basically the Mona Lisa of engine design.
>>
>>12348399

it's not so much that...i guess i don't know the rules of whatever game that is, but it just seems like a mech with a jet for a head. if it's supposed to be in gerwalk mode, then where does 2/3 of its body go in fighter mode?
>>
>>12349761
where?
the old fanwank isn't canon any more
>>
>>12350104
>it just seems like a mech with a jet for a head
That's pretty much exactly what it is. It's a joke design thrown together by fans, it's not supposed to be taken seriously.
>>
File: GNY-003_Gundam_Abulhool.jpg (121KB, 682x600px) Image search: [Google]
GNY-003_Gundam_Abulhool.jpg
121KB, 682x600px
>>12328675
>>12350104
>>12350560

Am I doing it right?
>>
File: Star Wars.jpg (28KB, 322x450px) Image search: [Google]
Star Wars.jpg
28KB, 322x450px
>>12349761
>point is they're explicitly noted as having no moving parts.

That's retarded.
>>
>>12349761
>>12350714
real world ion engine doesn't have moving part either
>>
Finally got the chance to watch it, Otaking.

God fucking damn. I was smiling the whole time over this. Has anyone heard a peep from Japan about this? Any animators chiming in? I'm really curious if the sentiment over the disappearance of SHADING is felt there at all.
>>
>>12351939
You could read the thread and find one or two articles from moonland people already posted, you know. But other than those, I have no clue
>>
>>12349199
I wonder how many of those views were from /m/ rewatching it
>>
>>12351975
Does watching something twice from the same machne give two different views?
>>
>>12352015
no
>>
I wish OtaKing would read his responses already!
>>
Not to piss on people's parade, but this is a hella long sticky to have.
>>
>>12333152
Because they mainly only know him from his "why doesn't currrent TV anime look like old OVAs?" days.
>>
File: my nigga.png (165KB, 330x346px) Image search: [Google]
my nigga.png
165KB, 330x346px
>>12314946
>>
>>12352543
We had longer.
>>
>>12352543
No mod comes to /m/, after they stickied it they forgot about it.
>>
File: the_m_band.gif (2MB, 220x240px) Image search: [Google]
the_m_band.gif
2MB, 220x240px
Near 2.9 million views
>>
>>12354968
Near 3.1 now.
>>
>>12355060
More than 3.1 now
>>
>>12352543
Why was this even stickied?
>>
>>12332585
>We need this back!

He's alright by me.
>>
>>12356736
Just hide the thread. It's not like it's playing music or anything.
>>
>>12356736
Man, someone is upset.

Okay, kid, just remember that this is a sticky not to promote Otaking but because he put a "Thaank you /m/" at the end of the video.
This thread made sure everyone didn't make their own thread asking about it.
>>
>>12356750
Giggapuddi.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB3lCYNclwo&ab_channel=KindaFunny

>"There's no modern anime that looks this good to me."
>>
>>12357457
And then the comments telling them "Watch Fate/Zero, it looks soooo much better than that!"

Jesus christ, do they really not get it? DO they really not get what makes it so great is the level of attention to detail, the artstyle itself, and-
You know what, nevermind. This hurts my brain to think about.
>>
File: fghg32.jpg (199KB, 1384x512px) Image search: [Google]
fghg32.jpg
199KB, 1384x512px
>>12357581
>>12357457
>>
>>12357636
>Jojo's TV
>outstanding animation
>>
File: LIFESUNNNNf.jpg (51KB, 756x669px) Image search: [Google]
LIFESUNNNNf.jpg
51KB, 756x669px
>>12357641
>Jojo TV
>Any animation whatsoever
>>
>>12357636
I love how people like these want to talk down on stuff like these and compare them to something on air.
>It's looks good for something done by one guy
>It's not as good as ~insert anime with a budget and groups of people working on it~!
>>
>>12357940
Its like someone saying Wow, nice home made electric fuel cell car you got there. But its nowhere as nice as my foreign imported stratos. Total mismatch of topics.
>>
>>12357940
>>12357999
My problem is that they're comparing apples to oranges.
Ufotable stuff is just as far as you can take CG and two-tone shading and minimal-detail artwork and make the highest quality version of that you can
Otaking is trying exactly NOT to do that modern anime style, he's trying to bring back the ridiculous level of detail the bubble era brought that's totally absent in post-2000 shows.
The animation work in UBW 2014 and Kara no Kyoukai is fantastic, yes - but compare the level of detail in some of the TIE Fighter stills to either of those and you'll see they can't really be compared.

Props to the one Nigga in the comments who recommended Redline though. Knows what the fuck he's talking about.
>>
>>12358026
Still feels like to me at least when they say it like that, it's like saying to a kid and his painting "It's no Mona Lisa!" or "If you want to see some actual art look at the Sistine Chapel!". In this case though, it's a fan made project done by one guy compared to an animation studio with teams, money, etc.
>>
>>12357636
>200% MAD.png
>>
>>12357676
You know what Jojo TV has instead of animation?

SHAAAAAAAAAADIIIIINNNNGGGG
>>
>>12357636
>Kill la Kill
>animation
>>
>>12358654
To be fair, Kill la Kill uses its limited animation quite well. The Inferno Cop tier scenes came across very well, at least I thought so.

That said, those comments are fucking moronic, specifically for the pleb tier, absolutely casual suggestions people have already touched upon. Aside from comparing modern, big studio productions to a fan work (which the video itself already did, though specifically for style choice), how stupid do you have to be to suggest what is literally a laundry list of the recent popular anime the internet got itself worked up into a huff about as if it's certain the nerd you're talking to hasn't seen or heard of them? Is it just that they hold them in such high fucking esteem that the only reason they can think of that people might not agree that they're the best is because they hadn't watched them yet? Is it that they don't even realize how widely known they are, thinking that some how these are niche things?

It'd be like:
>oh, if you're talking about good video games, you should check out this little thing called Dragon Age. Ever heard of it?
>I dunno, Super was good and all, but you should really see Guardians of the Galaxy. It just doesn't compare.
>Superior Foes of Spiderman? Good? I suggest you read Saga, because that is an outstanding comic.

Who the fuck does that?
>>
File: not this shit again.gif (2MB, 250x343px) Image search: [Google]
not this shit again.gif
2MB, 250x343px
>>12357457

Thanks, anon, I needed that rage in the morning.
>>
File: 1424388730265.jpg (36KB, 847x471px) Image search: [Google]
1424388730265.jpg
36KB, 847x471px
>>12358938
Actually it was done poorly compared to say, TTGL and other similarly animated shows.

It was more like pic related.
>>
>>12359189
what if we compared it to Daicon III
>>
File: screen_fire_blast.png (102KB, 213x216px) Image search: [Google]
screen_fire_blast.png
102KB, 213x216px
>>12357636
>>
File: Jaguarsguy.png (220KB, 341x500px) Image search: [Google]
Jaguarsguy.png
220KB, 341x500px
>>12357636

>Terraformars
>Outstanding art and animation

GOOD ONE
>>
>>12357636
>clearly they have not seen attack on titan
wow you sure helped recommending a anime everyone has heard of and is popular because potatoes
>>12357940
agreed. why not compare it to say this which is also a fan project https://youtu.be/IUmkf_l38fA (i think)
>>12358026
yeah redline is fucking based
>>
still no high quality download link? youtube is great but having a local copy would be even better.
>>
>sticky
why
>>
>3.1M views in one week
What have you done, Otaking
>>
>>12360530
>not even 1‰ of the world population
>>
Doesn't that guy Pewdiepie and Onion-san and or whatever his name is get about 16 gorillion per video?
Either way, this is the most any of my stuff will probably ever get, since it's Star Wars and thus guaranteed views. Maybe I can do a few podcasts and tell people to donate cash to charity and stuff to try and do a bit of good with what temporary internet fame I have though.

I can also drop the names Giant Robo and MD Geist. This is important.
>>
>>12360305
>still no high quality download link?

It looks really bad at 1080p. Jagged pixel lines everywhere.

For the stuff I'm doing for >>12291956, I'm drawing on frames twice as big, so hopefully that problem's fixed for future projects.
>>
>>12361291
vector art wouldn't suffer from that issue
>>
>>12361316
But Toon Boom is so complicated....
Everyone at work uses it and their stuff looks way nicer than mine.
>>
Why is this allowed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np-vPeYhhss
>>
File: my god, it's full of stars.jpg (213KB, 1620x1079px) Image search: [Google]
my god, it's full of stars.jpg
213KB, 1620x1079px
>>12361322
Afaik it's not the only player in town. But I drawfags could provide better advice, you can find them on several boards, plus their own boards.

Getting good tools is worth the initial learning curve, once you got it down you get better results or the same quality of results in less time.

>mfw switching from my camera's puny raw editor tool to Lightroom
>>
>>12361436
Because no one has filed a copyright claim against it.
>>

▲ ▲
>>
>>12361596
Damn it, Hikaru.
>>
>>12361589
People are uploading it all over the place. My favourite one for sheer bullshit is probably this-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzO6v_z7x00
A whole channel comprised of reposting other people's videos for view count leeching.

I can't file a copyright claim though, since it's not my copyright. It's Lucasfilm/Disney. So really, it's my own fault for spending ages animating someone else's IP.
>>
>>12362254
At least they're not cutting out the credits.
>>
>>12362254
holy shit you ain't dead
>>
>>12362254
>since it's not my copyright
it actually is, unless you signed it over to disney in some agreement:

>The Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works, an international copyright treaty, stipulates that derivative works shall be protected although it does not use the term, "Translations, adaptations, arrangements of music and other alterations of a literary or artistic work shall be protected as original works without prejudice to the copyright in the original work".[1]
>>
>>12362413
I'm pretty sure the deal with Lucasfilm is "We won't sue you, but we own the thing."
>>
>>12362254
Where the sod have YOU been?!
>>
>>12362974
Youtube has been making it really easy to take down this stuff though, and you have the advantage of using your real name online so you could try putting a statement on one of the places where you use it and linking to it on claims to take down those other videos.

Either way it beats doing nothing.
>>
>>12362254

You've made it. People are trying to rip your stuff off!
>>
>>12363073
>>12362399
>>12363073
>Where the sod have YOU been?!

Haha, mainly just working and checking lots of messages every day! That's died off now so I can continue with my life.

>>12363082
>Either way it beats doing nothing.

Well, I just filed a copyright claim with Youtube to see what happens. I really don't understand this whole "let's reupload the entire video twenty times on different accounts!" mentality.
The ones who upload it with different music - at least I understand that, but just mirroring the original 100%...?
Bizarre.
>>
>>12363119
>but just mirroring the original 100%...?
They get money from views.
>>
>>12363119
Did you quote >>12362413 ? Would've been better than not citing anything at all.
>>
>>12363155
Those little bastards, making money off our Otaking
>>
>>12363160
It didn't give me the option to add any text, unfortunately. Just a bunch of multiple choice selections and a warning that essentially says "you are entering a legal process and if you falsely claim copyright breach we will fuck you supremely."

Still, the boss music from Streets of Rage 2 just started playing on the retro radio channel as I type this, so that's pretty much convinced me that I'm in the right.
>>
>>12363119
Well I hope you've got lots and LOTS of free time on your hands, 'cause you've left yourself a shitload of posts to read.
>>
>>12363215
But I've read them all....
I always try and read everything. I've been copy/pasting all the critiques into my project file.
>>
>>12363203
>boss music from Streets of Rage 2
The Force is obviously with you. And the short black kids in roller blades.
>>
How do you feel about going viral, Otaking?
>>
>>12363897
Does it mean he's immortal, lonely and voiced by Hiyama now?
>>
>>12363203
>and a warning that essentially says "you are entering a legal process and if you falsely claim copyright breach we will fuck you supremely."
That's nothing to be worried about, they let false claims take down shit all the time and don't do anything about the claimers.

Remember the Russian actress claiming rights to Persona?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=672653
>>
>>12362254
At least they left your name and stuff. I really hate the music they threw in though.
>>
>>12363897
>How do you feel about going viral, Otaking?

Feels pretty Wesker:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxsSqDnNIo8
>>
>>12364921
Otaking confirmed for D.C. Douglas.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koqdeDqXGos

What is it with black guys and reaction videos? They just seem to enjoy shit and don't afraid or anything.
>>
File: scr00118.jpg (536KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
scr00118.jpg
536KB, 1920x1080px
>>12291956
>>12364921

I'm liking your ship designs so far; but have you considered doing a more "realistic" approach to space ships in general?

I don't think I've seen many artists using a more realist approach when designing their ships; and it's a shame too, because as cool as traditional designs can be, I find the other type to be just as interesting, and since you see that kind of design direction so rarely its generally much easier to make your ships look unique. Of course it all depends on what you want your ships to do, these designs center around framework, not enclosed hulls, and any high speed in-atmosphere travel may tear them apart.
>>
File: BAN37105.gif (50KB, 427x261px) Image search: [Google]
BAN37105.gif
50KB, 427x261px
>>12307287 (Re: 360 turret torsos)
Macross / Robotech's battloids were like that.
>>
File: Mechwarrior5.jpg (146KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
Mechwarrior5.jpg
146KB, 1440x900px
古いネタ引っ張り出してくるな
>>
just leaving this here >>12366113
>>
God please someone unsticky this already.
>>
>>12366981

I stickied your mom last night.
>>
>>12314946
It was okay man.

Good job for one dude.
>>
>>12314946

Great work man, brought tears to my eyes and a chill to my spine.

Keep the pace!
>>
>>12322681
>>12323339

I also highly recommend TVPaint, even with its steep learning curve. The manual is a bit disorganized but it covers pretty much everything. Its biggest flaw is that it's highly customizable, but to the point where it's like having a pool full of legos and you only want a few kinds of pieces at any given time. Once you start organizing those pieces and knowing where you can find them it's wonderful.

/ic/ has a new animation study group with a few people that extensively use it, which you can learn more about here >>>/ic/2028005. I'm sure they'd be happy to help you out. Add "chi.ich" on skype to get in contact with them (the group name is "striving for animation").

I'm also up for helping you wade through its piss poor UI since most of my study group (which was formerly "/a/ making an animated short") has gone through much of that process together. Our irc is #/a/nimation, though I think the /ic/ group knows it much better.
>>
A podcast that goes into a lot of detail about otaking's tie fighter

http://www.rubberonion.com/podcast/wherefore-art-thou-rovio/

34:22 minutes in
>>
>>12372272
>Everyone should find a way to send this guy chocolate
Heh. Good taste.
>>
>>12307138
>>12307234

Who did those horrible designs. They suck!
>>
I don't normally browse /m/ so I saw this as I gave /m/ a random click on the catalogue. I'm extremely impressed, for 1 person, 4 years hand drawn this is amazing. If animating isn't your forte than I don't see the problem in using rotoscoping as a crutch, much better than attempting animation without reference to real life in my opinion. Some issues with floaty-head syndrome where the heads feel separated from their moving bodies. But it's only apparent on one part. My only big criticism is the camera movements had me on the verge of motion-sickness.
It's impressive though how you give great attention to detail without overloading the viewer.
Props for the great work.
>>
File: tumblr_n8vikll34r1tfwlb8o1_500.gif (433KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n8vikll34r1tfwlb8o1_500.gif
433KB, 500x281px
Seems otaking's started a trend.
I'm seeing a few semi-rotoscoped Tie fighters on tumblr now.
>>
>>12374258
>Otaking becomes a term like Itano Circus
>>
>>12291956
It's rough, or it's my internet being shitty, but I was pleasantly surprised by it.

Are you looking for any art help?
>>
http://www.forcecast.net/story/home/ForceCast_346_Prepare_To_Make_The_Jump_To_Anaheim_163391.asp

Another podcast with the words "Paul Johnson" and "shading" being spoken by random people not from /m/.
Feels weird, man.
>>
>>12372272
>A podcast that goes into a lot of detail about otaking's tie fighter
>http://www.rubberonion.com/podcast/wherefore-art-thou-rovio/
>34:22 minutes in

>they talk about reddit for three minutes and how dorky and knowledgeable they are

Thanks, I'm triggered for the entire day. Why do you do this to me?
>>
>>12374258
>otaking-ing?
>>
>>12374258

This is more hilarious than seeing Yandere Simulator fan art on Tumblr.

Because /v/ hates normies who want to censor their Chinese games.
>>
>>12375610
>>12374346
otaking you have to come up with a catchy name for how you did your tie fighter animation.
>>
>>12376663
>Rotaking
>>
>>12357636
They may be plebs but nothing they said is wrong.
>>
>>12377105

except for the whole being wrong about the 'outstanding art and animation' of jojo, klk, and attack on johj.
>>
>>12314946
A bit late, but I finally got around to watching it. Great stuff.
>>
Why is this even a sticky
>>
>>12378320
lurk moar
>>
>>12378456
No, that's not an answer. It has nothing to do with lurking. Why the fuck is this a sticky.
>>
>>12379009
lurk moar
>>
>>12379009
>>12378320

dude you're a fucking faggot.
>>
>>12314946
better than ping pong
>>
>>12380616
Nothing is better than Ping Pong.
>>
>>12357676
>>12357641
Actually drawing shit in your frames even if it's photoshop filters > lots of bland garbage frames.
>>
>>12357641
>>12357676
>picking on JoJo and not AoT

Fuck you.
>>
>>12381902
Except AoT has good animation compared to Jojo, regardless of how much you're supposed to hate it to fit in.
>>
>>12382168
>>12382168
They both have top-dollar animation, and AoT has just many holds, pans, and framed shots as any other Anime.
>>
>>12382206
>Jojo
>top dollar animation
Have you watched it?
>>
>>12382168
>>12382206
AoT has TONS of QUALITY.
>>
Jojo has its art style going for it, and the fact that it's, you know, Jojo
>>
>>12326368
it could be a recoil-less cannon.
more difficult to load heavier ammo, but can work even on a hover-tank.
>>
>>12329547
ion drive max thrust is largely dependent on area, which means that ship of significant weight would need an ion thruster 1000 times larger than it would need of any other type like a fission thruster to achieve any significant G. it just not gonna work for a ship.

fusion drives and fission drives are pretty much what we could realistically go for and if you go really far into the future you can play with annihilation drives.
>>
>>12314946
what the flying fuck did i just watch?
>>
>>12383847
shading
>>
>>12384165
no i mean this story is raping my childhood
>>
>>12384323
>MUH REHASHED JEDISITH SHIT
Thread posts: 788
Thread images: 140

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.