[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gundam F91:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

File: shot0003.png (4MB, 1920x1040px) Image search: [Google]
shot0003.png
4MB, 1920x1040px
>Does a great job showing how scary and damaging giant robots fighting in a city would actually look. Most series kind of soft sell this
>Lots of dead civilians and minor characters
>Perfectly paced for 3/4 of the story
>Gundam not used until well into the story (good)
>Bugs are just really goofy looking.
>Ending super rushed
>Iron Mask just decides to fight even though he doesn't have to
>Should have been 2-3 movies and could have been the Japanese equivalent of Star Wars.
>>
>>12183105
The pacing issues are because it was originally meant to be a TV series. They kept the beginning intact and cut right to the conclusion, skipping everything in between.
>>
>>12183105

Also:

>Gorgeous animation

I'm not mad it was turned into a film. A tv series would have just been another forgettable series. Instead we got top tier animation.
>>
>>12183118

Yeah, I think the pacing is fine for 3/4 of the movie. And as you said, it just jumps right to the end. Which is why I think it would have been best to make 2-3 films out of the story.

What we have now feels like the first part of Star Wars, and then you tacked on the end where they fight the Emperor from Return of the Jedi.

Iron Mask also needed more development and backstory. It's kind of just thrown into the dialogue of the final fight that he's a Cyber-Newtype. He's introduced and killed without every really doing much so he's not even that menacing or interesting. I think he only has the one cool scene where he calls out the assassin.

In universe, it's actually anti-climatic. The leader of the Vanguards dies really early on in the conflict before it really even started. And it's not like he had to, he just decided to rashy fight by himself.
>>
The first battle was so frantic
>>
>>12183150

It was great. A lot of mech or even Gundam shows soft sell city battles.
>>
I rewatched F91 just a handful of days ago. I really like it, but it's such a waste of potential.

I'm not sure it needed to be a 50 episode series, but it would have been better served by a 6-10 episode OVA or with two or three movies instead of one. It's more interesting than Victory, for sure.
>>
If it was a longer TV series though then the trade off is you won't get the same movie budget animation.
>>
>>12183105
>Should have been 2-3 movies and could have been the Japanese equivalent of Star Wars.
But that's the original Gundam.
Or Message to Space if you forget about the 2-3 movies part.
>>
Thought it was one of the better Gundam entries, pacing issues be damned.
>>
Admittedly F91 is one of my Top 3 Gundam franchise entries.

It may have some issues here and there, but overall it was very well done despite being TV show put to film(as stated before). I do wish it had been thirty minutes longer to plug any other gaps, but that's a pipedream at best.
>>
File: Doink.gif (988KB, 500x268px)
Doink.gif
988KB, 500x268px
>>12183105
Doink
>>
>>12183562
That thing should have split her head open.
>>
>>12183118
The movie is the first 12 or so episodes of a series, not the full series. So 2 to 3 movies would have been perfect. Hell, even a 3 part 1+ hour OVA would have been fine
>>
>>12183572
Human skulls and parts rarely actually "split" apart unless they're practically pulverized. Our insides are webbed together and tied down by tissue so it it generally holds together well. If it did damage her skull significantly I'd imagine the skull caved in where it was struck.
>>
>>12183600

Anon, that shell had to weigh at least 300lbs.
>>
>>12183973
What's the weight of a modern artillery shell to compare? I seriously doubt the weight of the casing she got hit by gets anywhere near that high.
>>
>>12183973
G-Cannon... cannons are 130mm. The M-46, a common artillery piece, fired 130mm shells that weighed ~32 kg filled. Considering it's the casing that hit her, it's going to be substantially lighter.
>>
>>12183600
>>12183572
>>12183562

The shell flies too slowly, and she falls too gently.

The movie and Gundam in general does not want to show gore.
>>
>>12184429
it still gets the point across without having to be excessively gory. that's one of the best scenes.
>>
>>12184429
You're right about the censorship thing though.
Sunrise executives don't want a Gundam movie to be too gory. At least not Angel Cop/Genocyber levels of gore.
>>
File: image.jpg (212KB, 770x1027px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
212KB, 770x1027px
>>12184523

Hence one of the reasons why they did not want to go with Tomino's original idea behind Gundam.

The were called Mobile SUITS for a reason.
>>
>>12183105
>>Bugs are just really goofy looking.

Tomino said he wanted something more menacing and scary than colony gassing.

He failed. Bugs are just goofy and those scenes are more likely to make me smile than anything.

A gassing scene could have been creepy, watching everyone panic and gasping for air.

Alternatively he could have kept it simple:

Giant laser weapon.
>>
>>12184466

It doesn't have to be gory, but the shell should have flied faster and she should have fell faster. It'd look more violent.
>>
>>12185317
Oh, it's you. Seriously, stop spreading that crap and educate yourself on the subject.
>>
File: 1418765521990.jpg (177KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1418765521990.jpg
177KB, 1920x1080px
>>12185333
>Bugs are goofy
>People being ripped to shreds by flying saws with only one purpose: Kill everything.
Yeah. That's really goofy. It's like slipping on a banana peel, except the banana peel is covered in sharp spikes and wants to eviscerate your very soul. Hilarious.
>>
>>12184429
It's the equivalent of getting hit with a full book bag.

Also it's a cartoon.
>>
>>12185465
i know right? it's fucking looney tunes

should've have gone with gassing, that flashback in shiro's colony in 08thms is pretty unsettling
>>
Post webms please?
>>
File: SarcasmDetector.jpg (100KB, 525x476px) Image search: [Google]
SarcasmDetector.jpg
100KB, 525x476px
>>12185996
>>
File: gundam unicorn loves peace.jpg (186KB, 776x854px) Image search: [Google]
gundam unicorn loves peace.jpg
186KB, 776x854px
>>12185333

you wut m8?
>>
>>12184429
>>12184466
Somehow the slow way she falls made it worse for me.
>>
>>12186149

They're goofy looking. It's something a kid would design as a terrifying weapon. They don't even make much sense to use.
>>
>>12185333
It looks goofy to adults, he wanted to make something scary for CHILDREN.

Gassing isn't enough for kids because they don't understand it, they just people fall over and die. Lasers are just cool. Being cut up into little bits while being set on fire, THAT they understand.
>>
>>12188790
Cutting things off seems to be working as a terror weapon for ISIS. Look at the big fuss everyone is making
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.