[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Galactic Patrol: LENSMAN

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 161
Thread images: 60

File: ast10_39.jpg (177KB, 699x984px) Image search: [Google]
ast10_39.jpg
177KB, 699x984px
So I recently finished reading all the Lensman material I could find. It was awesome.There's power armor, espers, and inertia-less drives. The alien are quite alien, like to the point of operating on separate dimensions simultaneously just for sustenance. The anime, or rather the movie was okay, but really strays from the source material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiquVawRGm8

Why don't we talk about this more?
>>
File: Valentian-Barlowes.jpg (105KB, 693x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Valentian-Barlowes.jpg
105KB, 693x1024px
>>12057948
Speaking of aliens, this is Worsel. A Velantian. He's one of the good guys.
>>
https://mega.co.nz/#F!IMAXVLTa!cIgjv7i7g8cPpX6fOG7ceg
moonspeak audio from the Streamline LD, allegedly difficult to find
>>
Loved the tone of those books. Friggin' awesome. Some of the best, I guess it's a pulp adventure? Best that which I've read.
>>
>>12057948

Love Lensman.

Sadly that cover only makes me think of that joke cover for Astonishing comics. Sadly I can't remember where I placed it
>>
>>12058080
>that joke cover for Astonishing comics
This one?
>>
>>12058094

Ack, meant to put a period at the end, not a questionmark. Now it just makes it look like I'm samefagging.

Whatever. Either way I think Lensman is great for basically making space opera today what it is.
>>
>>
I got copies of all the books recently. But was very dissapointed to find out the first one was missing like half of the book for some reason.
>>
File: lensmen 2.jpg (171KB, 1146x1600px) Image search: [Google]
lensmen 2.jpg
171KB, 1146x1600px
Here's all the Lensman Series Ebooks I could find. They aren't what I consider the best quality in places but they get the job done.

https://mega.co.nz/#!Yd8XGQCD!krP_bK6WRfk0ADjDWBL2i4Ey1j9TPjv29gxrAqcX2WY
>>
File: Trenco.jpg (34KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
Trenco.jpg
34KB, 512x512px
Can Trenco work as a planet?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_oSPLrn8p0
>>
>>12057956
Only problem with that artists concept of Worsel is there are no wings or means of flight. I remember very clearly Worsel and other Velantians could fly. Unlike the Delgons which supposedly looked almost like a Velantian, maybe not as big and different head details like fewer eyes.
>>
I've only ever seen the animated film. Always loved this pink guy. Was he in the books?
>>
File: delgon-overlord_thionite.jpg (74KB, 320x239px) Image search: [Google]
delgon-overlord_thionite.jpg
74KB, 320x239px
>>12066735
The artist did actually. The picture itself is done by Wayne Barlowe for Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials. In the sketch section he elaborates on the design, apparently they tuck in somewhere in the back. I have copy of the book somewhere, I'll scan it when I can find it.
>>
File: Velantian Wing Sketches.png (1MB, 1464x1883px) Image search: [Google]
Velantian Wing Sketches.png
1MB, 1464x1883px
>>12068230
>>12066735
>>
>>12060003
Thank you!
>>
File: lensman_inertialessdrive.jpg (52KB, 608x587px) Image search: [Google]
lensman_inertialessdrive.jpg
52KB, 608x587px
>>
>>12066919
I believe he appears in Grey Lensman, but the character looks and acts quite different.
>>
>>12070055
Can inertia-less drives even be a thing?
>>
I'm reading through the first book and it's all about genetics so far, where the good aliens have just decided to make Humans the psychic race and nullified their experiments with the other candidates. When does the actual Lensman organization start?
>>
>>12073104
Partway through the second book. I'm pretty sure it was a direct sequel to the first though so get through that one first, it's not terribly long.
>>
File: Doc E. E. Smith.jpg (51KB, 297x435px) Image search: [Google]
Doc E. E. Smith.jpg
51KB, 297x435px
>>12073125
>>12073104
Triplanetary, if that what you're talking about, was originally a different book. Hence the disconnect. Doc added the intro and used it to lay some minor groundwork for the world of the Lensmen. Apparently the part about the explosive factory was autobiographical, don't know which world war though.
>>
>>12073095
Gotta change the laws of physics, so let's just say that if we could make one we wouldn't probably anymore about spaceship
>>
>>12073104
Galactic Patrol was the first written book. After the trilogy was so successful Triplanetary was rewritten and First Lensman was written to be prequels. I think it is best to read them in publication order but that advice is a little late for you.
>>
File: Worsel_by_Icereina.jpg (105KB, 1134x756px) Image search: [Google]
Worsel_by_Icereina.jpg
105KB, 1134x756px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u3rsratSIo
>>
>>12074203
I don't suppose you could elaborate?
>>
File: lookAtThat.jpg (56KB, 500x433px) Image search: [Google]
lookAtThat.jpg
56KB, 500x433px
>>12078175
You'll have a good reading here
http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/reactionlessdrive.php

Basically the laws of physics tell us mass and inertia is always conserved, you can't gain/reduce speed without propelling mass in the other direction including planet or atmosphere.
Jet engine for example suck a lot of air to propel it faster in the other direction

Problem is that in space there's nothing. No air and no fictional "Aether" to suck and propel behind.
You can use gravity assist maneuver to exchange momentum more at your advantage but that's it, even black hole obey this law.

It's a fundamental laws of physics that everything have inertia. (e=mc2 and else)

So being able to make a so called "inertia-less" drive would mean either rewriting the very fundamental structure of the universe or discovering physics so out-of-the-box that, chance are, we wouldn't need such drive anymore, either because we would be able to create matter/energy from nothing, teleport planet around or access/create multiverse.

Not that we aren't trying mind you, the latest buzz in physics was this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_vacuum_plasma_thruster
which claim to have created absurdly low amount of thrust by pouring absurdly high amount of energy.
>>
File: worsel3.jpg (49KB, 589x447px) Image search: [Google]
worsel3.jpg
49KB, 589x447px
>>12068885
OK, that makes it look more clearly. Much more like the book than the anime version of Worsel.
>>
>>12078997
>http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/reactionlessdrive.php

I love that website.
>>
>>12073280
>>don't know which world war though.

Considering the time line of his work, it was likely WWI. He was exempted from military service for it because of his wife and his experience as a chemical engineer, he started Skylark of Space in 1919.
>>
>>12082827
I keep forgetting how old the material is.
>>
>>12080038
Everyone does. It's pretty great.
>>
>>
File: 1670063428_1c0b97709e_z.jpg (159KB, 640x473px) Image search: [Google]
1670063428_1c0b97709e_z.jpg
159KB, 640x473px
>>
>>12057948

>Although it was produced with the knowledge and consent of Smith's estate, the executors were so displeased with the result that for several years they rejected any other suggestions of adaptation.[citation needed]
>>
>>12057948

So scanning a bit, there's two separate anime adaptions of Lensman right?

>Galactic Patrol Lensman
>Lensman: Secret of The Lens

One a tv series, the other a film.

I'm having trouble finding a torrent for these. Did they just not get a dvd release?
>>
>>12089099
I think there's a few eps of the series floating around, but I might be thinking of Captain Future
there's a few meh rips of the dub of the anime, never seen a copy online in moon, that's why I knocked out a copy of the moonspeak off my LD for somebody else to merge
>>
How much do Green Lantern borrow from these guys?
>>
>>12089244
the parts that aren't green, lanterns, and shitty weaknesses
>>
>>12089180

Is this one of the series that someone is just going to have to order from Japan to rip properly?
>>
>>12089324
I don't know that there's any releases to find over there. Try hitting Yahoo Japan auctions with the moonrunes. That's a decent way to get a vague feel for the street price and scarcity of something.
>>
>>12089398

Was there even a dvd release at all?
>>
>>12089468
>>12089398

http://www.animenation.net/blog/2013/07/18/ask-john-will-the-lensman-anime-ever-be-re-released/
>>
File: lc05sl.jpg (59KB, 491x573px) Image search: [Google]
lc05sl.jpg
59KB, 491x573px
>>
There used to be a comics published in the US based off the anime. Published by Eternity, which are long gone now.

I have every one they released to my knowledge, hard to find now days I'd think. Or maybe not.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Comics-/63/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=galactic+patrol
>>
File: VVG-000.jpg (481KB, 1227x1581px) Image search: [Google]
VVG-000.jpg
481KB, 1227x1581px
>>12092403
Tim Eldred did the art for that. The same Tim Eldred that did the art for the Votoms Supreme Survivor comics and compiled the Viewer's Guide back in the day. I like that guy.
>>
>>12094418

Chiroco looks so cool in a beret.
>>
File: intast_4201.jpg (57KB, 380x561px) Image search: [Google]
intast_4201.jpg
57KB, 380x561px
>>
>>12094418
>look who's smiling now
Heh.
>>
File: kim6.jpg (162KB, 442x346px) Image search: [Google]
kim6.jpg
162KB, 442x346px
So apparently this used to pretty damn popular up until somewhere in the 1970's. Bear in mind the series started in the 1930's. What happened?
>>
>>12098815
Series was just re-printed recently. Doctor Smith is the pioneer of modern science fiction and the space opera as it exists. Kimball Kinnison is the near culmination of thousands of years of alien manipulation of his blood line by the Arisians (I think that's the spelling) but blood line manipulation by an outside agent, sound familiar, Dune. So many concepts of sci-fi equipment first came from Smith, FTL flight, hyper-spacial tubes basically stargates, battles involving millions of individual star ships, the moving of planets, the nega-sphere basically as weaponized black hole that is tailor made for the mass of it target, it kills it and disappears. Doc Smith loved epic world ending destruction, toward the end of the series there was the sun cannon a batch of orbiting satellite englobing the sun able to absorb the full power output of it for a few seconds and focus it into a beam. The series is little know today and that is sad for so many of the greats after Smith were influenced by his books and serials. Robert Heinlein's space marine armor is directly influenced by Smith's space armor. Star Trek and Star Wars is very influenced from Smith especially FTL drives, energy weapons, and the world ending death star a spherical station that can kill planets. Space patrol is star fleet a peace keeping and exploration organization protecting interstellar civilization, and Kim Kinnison is like Luck Skywalker and Han Solo in one.
>>
>>12089478
>>12089468

That suuuuuuuuuuuucks.

I so want to see the show. All we have are god damn VHS rips?
>>
>>12099579
The only thing Smith didn't anticipate or think of was the miniaturization of power components and electronics. All of his power systems are run off massive fuses, and breakers, and he never envisioned the idea of miniature electronics, i.e the computer in a small hand held form. Most of the big calculating was done by geniuses with slide rules.
>>
>>12099579
Doc Smith was a huge influence, but you're being overly generous. H.G. Wells had published energy weapons when Smith was 8, for instance. The nega-sphere was antimatter (at the time, poorly understood and with properties full of guesses) and was probably dervied from or influenced by Williamson's earlier seetee stories.
>>
>>12057948
The Lensman movie was one of my first anime.

I'd just like you to know that.
>>
File: B5 0.1.gif (52KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
B5 0.1.gif
52KB, 300x200px
>>12099579
You're forgetting how Babylon 5 creator Joseph Michael Straczynski always spoke of the Lensman series as part of his influence for his series. Never heard Lucas or Roddenberry ever once mention it, even though it's influence is clearly seen.

Although the Rangers were hardly Lensmen, I guess their role was the same. But we can easily see the Vorlons were almost like the Arisians, although the Shadow were not very much like the Edorrians.
>>
>>12100672
I heard he worked on a screenplay for Lensman, any idea if he ever posted it somewhere?
>>
>>12100672
Main difference being that the Arisians and Edorrians are a lot less morally grey than the Vorlons or Shadows.

There's definitely a huge amount of Lensman influence in the series, though, and I'm surprised I didn't notice it before.
>>
>>12099767

>Wells had published energy weapons when Smith was 8.

And the idea of energy based weapons had been around since the time of the Greeks.
>>
>>12100672

Roddenberry's big influence was Buck Rogers.
>>
>>12102802
Thinking of Archimedes's death ray?
>>
>>12098815
>>12099579
Not to mention the fact that the 1970s saw a big push for a more left winged reaction in science fiction and fantasy with writers like Halderman and Moorcock blazing the way. It was a time of mass popular discontent, of rising mistrust in government. Even while I would argue that Lensman is worth reading today, the way it depicts relationships and the clash of civilisations underpinning the entire work is something that makes your average modern reader look twice (and it's even more hilarious in Smith's other works like Spacehounds of IPC, the Skylark series, etc, both of which predate Galactic Patrol, I believe).

Anyway, this radical wave hit sci-fi and a lot of the older classics were left behind in popularity.
>>
>>12102837

Aye.
>>
>>12101373
Everything I've heard on this recently is the project is dead. JMS can't find any one to pick it up. When the John Carter of Mars movie flopped, seems no one wants to touch such an old series of books any more.

>>12102868
>> Smith's other works like Spacehounds of IPC, the Skylark series, etc, both of which predate Galactic Patrol, I believe).

Yes, Skylark definitely does predates Galactic Patrol. Spacehounds, just a quick check and it seem it does as well.
>>
File: Edward E Smith - First Lensman.gif (11KB, 190x200px) Image search: [Google]
Edward E Smith - First Lensman.gif
11KB, 190x200px
>>12102868
Yeah... The world of the Galactic Patrol is quite trusting of their government. To be fair it consist of unbreakable uncorruptible super psychics. That just doesn't fly anymore.
>>
>>
>>12106117
>That just doesn't fly anymore.
Damn right. For example, I just re-read The Demolished Man (1953) the other day, and (just like the first time I read it, in the 00s I think) the ending gives anyone with modern sensibilities a very uncomfortable jolt, even more-so because the rest of the book generally covers benign pieces of the setting. I don't think that ending would have been written quite the same way twenty years later. (Or maybe it would have, and Bester was intentionally making a point that I didn't fully get.)
>>
>>12109502
Stuff like the Stainless Steel Rat also rubs you the wrong way at times. It's basically about a dictatorial secret police who kidnaps peoples, brainwashes them against their will and then uses them as secret agents to forward their agenda.

True, it may be for the greater good at times, but it's also terrifying.
>>
>>
File: directerix bridge.jpg (117KB, 600x435px) Image search: [Google]
directerix bridge.jpg
117KB, 600x435px
Supposedly the US Navy during WW2 took inspiration from the concept of the Directrix and implemented it in real life.

"The entire set-up was taken specifically, directly, and consciously from the Directrix. In your story, you reached the situation the Navy was in—more communication channels than integration techniques to handle it. You proposed such an integrating technique and proved how advantageous it could be. You, sir, were 100% right. As the Japanese Navy—not the hypothetical Boskonian fleet—learned at an appalling cost."
~Captain Cal Lanning
>>
File: lens1_by_tnperkins-d7f2mxq.jpg (576KB, 600x1169px) Image search: [Google]
lens1_by_tnperkins-d7f2mxq.jpg
576KB, 600x1169px
>>
>>12057948

What's the best torrent for the film and tv show?
>>
>>12117188
I'm not aware of there being many to choose from.
>>
File: len01j.jpg (56KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
len01j.jpg
56KB, 500x376px
Am glad this thread exists - after tracking down Lensman the movie it was interesting reading about its classic sci-fi roots and how the anime isn't a 'good adaptation' of it.

It is however a goddamn visual treat and I'd kill for a better rip/remastered dvd/blu ray. The jetbike chase sequence is so ridiculously over the top it's one of my favourite examples of classic 80s animation - and the weird Tron-like sequence's character animation is great for its time. Someone years ago was fan-remastering it from laserdisc, but I have no idea what happened to that project. Seeing as >>12089478 is the future E.E Smith's estate chose I'm grateful to see the thing in the first place. May it remain on Youtube forever.

Pic related, cus Buskirk is a fucking boss.
>>
>>12118502
In the book Buskirk was human, granted a new breed of humans that grew up on a planet with a much stronger gravity. Not the Bison-man the anime made him to be.

He was also a Galactic Patrol Marine and was even more kick ass than his anime version.
>>
>>
>>12118502
>It is however a goddamn visual treat and I'd kill for a better rip/remastered dvd/blu ray.

I've heard too. Sadly the estate of the old dude didn't like it so they are never going to allow another release I hear.
>>
>>12120308
>Dem Fossian-as-hell ships
>>
>>
this reminds me how I need to finish reading those Buck Rogers comics
>>
>>12100672
B5 is half Lensman, half Lord of the Rings, mate.
>>
>>12060003
>pdf

Still, I appreciate it, since all torrents are dead
>>
File: 06_LENSMAN2.gif (86KB, 289x400px) Image search: [Google]
06_LENSMAN2.gif
86KB, 289x400px
>>
File: lensman (1).jpg (52KB, 248x400px) Image search: [Google]
lensman (1).jpg
52KB, 248x400px
>>
>>12123935
Speaking of ancient epics, how's Captain Future and his anime adaptation? I remember so/m/one translated a movie from the anime adaption and it wasn't too bad.
>>
>>12133344
it's okay from the bit I've seen
there was some dub a billion years ago
>>
>>12133373
English or German? I understand it was pretty popular in Germany.
>>
>>12133413
English
but yeah, the Germans apparently dig it despite them not awkwardly cramming Frankenstein into the title
>>
>>12133413
>>12133344

There was a French dub as well, under the name "Capitaine Flam". Still generates a lot of nostalgia there.
>>
File: amazing_Stories_buck_rogers.jpg (244KB, 796x1100px) Image search: [Google]
amazing_Stories_buck_rogers.jpg
244KB, 796x1100px
Wow, a classic pulp series being discussed on a mecha board full of younger people. /glad
>>
Who do we petition so that the Lensman show and film get a proper new release?

>>12135755
>younger people

Average age is like 27 here bub. I'm 30.
>>
>>12137159

I'm 32, and in the pulp circles I run in, I'm a kid. Average age is 50+.

We'd take 30 all day at Pulp Conventions :)
>>
>>12135755
/m/ is best when it's discussing sci-fi instead of arguing about robots
>>
File: comet_still2.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
comet_still2.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>12133420
How far did this supposed English dub go? This is the first I've heard of it.

>>12137776
I don't know. Plenty good and plenty fun has come out of arguing about robots.
>>
>>12138232
I don't know. The video I have runs... an hour I think. Lemme go check. Yeah, 54 minutes, so two eps at least.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYhGJ9qB1Eg is some of the dub. Not sure if it's the episodes I have.
>>
File: 1401909007380.jpg (2MB, 2032x2888px) Image search: [Google]
1401909007380.jpg
2MB, 2032x2888px
>>
File: 57-344.jpg (188KB, 1235x684px) Image search: [Google]
57-344.jpg
188KB, 1235x684px
>>12065018
ahh, those saturday mornings watching anime on the Sci-fi Channel..... goot times, even if they were edited for tv
>>
File: 57-345.jpg (151KB, 1219x637px) Image search: [Google]
57-345.jpg
151KB, 1219x637px
>>12139797
>>
File: 57-346.jpg (347KB, 1583x867px) Image search: [Google]
57-346.jpg
347KB, 1583x867px
>>12139805
>>
>>12139825
I fucking LOVED that ship when I was six. I want that kit.
>>
>>12139774
That could easily be titled "Romance at 50,000 Feet!"
>>
>>12139830
It's a good design even now. I miss the old style of spacecraft.
>>
File: IMG_0411.jpg (370KB, 1600x941px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0411.jpg
370KB, 1600x941px
>>12139830
There's also a toy that I've seen held in very high regard as far as spaceship toys go.
>>
>>12140535
where do i buy this
>>
>>12137367
Kinda off topic but any good old stuff you can recommend? Trying to get more in the classic stuff. Ive already got lensman, hp lovrcraft and John Crater stuff.
>>
>>12140549
>John Crater
lol that was Republic's guy in the vein of Commando Cody and Crash Corrigan, right?
>>
>>12140580
Assuming he meant John Carter of Mars, I think he predates those substantially. Cody was, what, 50s?
>>
/a/ says that there's two Lensman movies.

>Real movie - SF Shinseiki Lensman
>Compilation movie by Harmony Gold - Lensman: Secret of the Lens

Is this true?

Wikipedia however thinks there's only one movie:

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lensman_series#Lensman:_Secret_of_The_Lens

>Lensman: Secret of The Lens (SF 新世紀 レンズマン SF Shinseiki Lensman?) is a 1984 Japanese animated film based on the Lensman novels.

So who's right?
>>
>>12140701
I figured. It was a joke on how Republic had some Korea-grade ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL with Crash Corrigan (obviously not Flash Gordon) and Commando Cody: Sky Marshal of the Universe (obviously not Commander Cory: Commander-in-Chief of the Space Patrol)
>>12141033
Streamline released the SF Shinseiki Lensman. Not sure about HG Lensman releases. Was that HG one on VHS? Maybe try looking for evidence of the tape's existence.
>>
>>12141074

>It was dubbed by Harmony Gold USA in 1988. This was re-dubbed by Streamline Pictures in 1990 and some of the voice actors were the same in both versions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lensman:_Secret_of_The_Lens
>>
File: img021.jpg (22KB, 800x232px) Image search: [Google]
img021.jpg
22KB, 800x232px
>>
>>12143455
I really want to buy these

Are they still in stock
>>
File: 04-lensmen-brittania.jpg (38KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
04-lensmen-brittania.jpg
38KB, 1024x1024px
>>12143479
Kind of no. They were made for the Lensman anime we mentioned a couple times back in the 1980's. If you want to get one eBay is probably the first place I'd look.
>>
>>12144566
Damn, these ships were my childhood

Can you tell me if they have a specific name to search for
>>
File: 502_cycroader.jpg (24KB, 523x403px) Image search: [Google]
502_cycroader.jpg
24KB, 523x403px
>>12144601
The big awesome ship is called the Brittania the smaller one is called the Cycroader and they were made by Tomy.
>>
>>12144691
>not on ebay

Goddammit.
>>
File: img005.jpg (21KB, 800x145px) Image search: [Google]
img005.jpg
21KB, 800x145px
>>12144715
I found a couple just by searching under Lensman. They aren't cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRITTANIA-II-Lensman-1984-Tomy-Spaceship-Toy-Complete-RARE-FREE-SHIPPING-/321618083816?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae1ee7fe8
>>
>>12144601
"lensman toy"
>>
>>12144742
this one seems more reliable and actually ships to my location

i'll buy one at the end of the year
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LENSMAN-BRITTANIA-II-1-1000-ANIME-MODEL-KIT-TOMY-JAPAN-galactic-Patrol-E-E-DOC-/151567855457?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item234a25ef61

>>12144754
thanks dorkly
>>
>>12141074
Those are clearly original creations, like Rickey Rouse.
>>
>>12140549

I would highly recommend you read anything by Robert E. Howard. Del Rey put out some nice collections of his work that are the preferred text.

3 Collections of his Conan stories, A Solomon Kane collection, a Kull Collection, and a Horror Stories collection might be your best bet.

Also, Paizo Publishing put out his John Carter-esque novel, Almuric in paperback through their Planet Stories imprint.

I would also recommend anything written by Philip Jose Farmer, but he's rather modern compared to the early pulpsters. He's a damn good writer though.

Oh, and if you want a cool one-shot to read, check out "Who Goes There"? by John W. Campbell. It is an old scifi pulp story, but it's the basis for The Thing.

You can read it here:

Who Goes There? Flip Book from the Pulp Magazines Project: http://www.pulpmags.org/PDFs/AS_1938_08/index.html
Who Goes There? PDF from the Pulp Magazines Project: http://www.pulpmags.org/PDFs/AS_1938_08.pdf
>>
>>12146921

Howard's Bran Mak Morn tales are also very good. He brings some of Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos into them as well.
>>
Heard the movie was released on LD. Who do I have to blow to get that?
>>
File: AMBA0017.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
AMBA0017.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
>>12147612
`sup
>>
>>12147682

American or JP release? Guessing American due to the lettering.

Because the current rip we have I swear is a VHS rip. Pretty blurry and low quality audio. A LD rip would be better. And it's in 4:3 aspect ratio. Was that the original film's aspect ratio or was it cropped for VHS?
>>
>>12147682
>the EE Smith family is still butthurt about how shit the movie was

It wasn't THAT bad.
>>
>>12148277
yeah it's the US release
I'm mostly certain the LD is 4:3.
They used 4:3 for cartoons in Japan through the 80s so it's possible that's the real ar.

I dubbed out a copy of the audio a while back
lensman jp audio
https://mega.co.nz/#F!IMAXVLTa!cIgjv7i7g8cPpX6fOG7ceg

the audio is kinda shit
LDs were only as good as their masters, so if you got something with a shit source you got a nice copy of shit.

the one on youtube's definitely tape source
>>
File: mrCkfcrviIk-yvuykfCd=.jpg (33KB, 704x480px) Image search: [Google]
mrCkfcrviIk-yvuykfCd=.jpg
33KB, 704x480px
>>12149321

http://bakabt.me/130203-lensman-english-dub-only-mw.html

That's the only rip of the film I can find. It looks like VHS rip. Or is it LD? Comments say LD, but man I didn't know LD could be that bad. Looks exactly how I remember VHS tapes.

Would the JP LD be better quality?
>>
>>12149321
>They used 4:3 for cartoons in Japan through the 80s so it's possible that's the real ar.

It's possible, but at the same time I wouldn't trust an early 90's release to not just crop the damn video.
>>
>>12150236
I'm at work, I'll have to check what it is when I get home.

evidence of tape wobble or tracking would be your best way to tell if it's really LD.
LDs can look very shitty, especially CLVs.

I'm not sure if there is a Japanese LD, much less if it would look any better.

>>12150256
oh yeah, both are possible
>>
File: Lensman From Rigel.jpg (59KB, 467x700px) Image search: [Google]
Lensman From Rigel.jpg
59KB, 467x700px
>>
shit... i wish i got here earlier... still, thanks to Kasperl for the link to the novels, i lost my audiobook collection of it.
>>
>>12150236
so I'm getting the torrent of this now, but glancing at their screen shots it's possible that this is a meh encode of a meh cap of a kinda shit laserdisc.
>>
>>12153440
totally LD
>>
>>12153440
>but glancing at their screen shots it's possible that this is a meh encode of a meh cap of a kinda shit laserdisc.

Yeah, it's a shitty laserdisk. I don't think there's really any more quality you can extract from it. Unless I'm wrong and your laserdisk is a lot better quality wise.
>>
File: 61c+DoaHtnL._SL500_AA500_.jpg (55KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
61c+DoaHtnL._SL500_AA500_.jpg
55KB, 500x500px
>>
File: lensman_eich.jpg (13KB, 398x168px) Image search: [Google]
lensman_eich.jpg
13KB, 398x168px
>>
>>12133344
Since /rs/ is long dead. Here are the German and Japanese soundtracks for Captain Future.

https://mega.co.nz/#!VIczTYZb!aZP6WHWjVEp-cQB9Qm3K6qmq1Epre7AOOkXnxex3AoU
>>
File: galacticpatrol.jpg (25KB, 278x475px) Image search: [Google]
galacticpatrol.jpg
25KB, 278x475px
>>
>>12154680
Nah, I got the same one.

If you download the Japanese dub I knocked out a copy of you'll notice it sounds like that looks.
>>
So does anyone know what a Grey Lensman special hat is meant to look like? The description in prose is irritatingly vague.

>The round, almost visorless cap, heavily and softly quilted in protection against the helmet of his armor
>>
File: 13504274_1_x[1].jpg (104KB, 660x850px) Image search: [Google]
13504274_1_x[1].jpg
104KB, 660x850px
>>12169147

Thinking about it, it's probably meant to be a flight cap in this sort of style. The uniform is all leathers and comes with a pair of goggles.

It just seems a bit silly to me now with the incredily naval-dominated vision of modern starship fiction, in contrast to the "rocket-man" style of the contemporary period.
>>
Hahaha, re-reading Galactic Patrol and I'd completely forgotten about the beautifully english Boskonian pirate.

>"Tally ho, old fruit !" The pilot slammed on maximum blast. "It's a mauler and we've been bloody well jobbed. Back to base?"
>>
He was always hungry, and he was forever demanding food.

And food, to him, did not mean orange juice or grape juice or tomato juice or milk. Nor did it mean weak tea and hard, dry toast and an occasional anemic soft-boiled egg. If he ate eggs at all be wanted them fried, three or four of them, accompanied by two or three thick slices of ham.

He wanted -and demanded in no uncertain terms, argumentatively and persistently- a big, thick, rare beefsteak. He wanted baked beans, with plenty of fat pork.

He wanted bread in thick slices, piled high with butter, and not this quadruply-and-unmentionably-qualified toast. He wanted roast beef, rare, in big, thick slabs. He wanted potatoes and thick brown gravy. He wanted corned beef and cabbage. He wanted pie -any kind of pie- in large, thick quarters. He wanted peas and corn and asparagus and cucumbers, and also various other-worldly staples of diet which he often and insistently mentioned by name.

But above all he wanted beefsteak. He thought about it days and dreamed about it nights. One night in particular he dreamed about it-an especially luscious porterhouse, fried in butter and smothered in mushrooms-only to wake up, mouth watering, literally starved, to face again the weak tea, dry toast, and, horror of horrors, this time a flabby, pallid, flaccid poached egg! It was the last straw.

"Take it away," he said, weakly, then, when the nurse did not obey, he reached out and pushed the breakfast, tray and all, off the table. Then, as it crashed to the floor, he turned away, and, in spite of all his efforts, two hot tears forced themselves between his eyelids.
>>
>>12169418
And people say GRRM is heavy on the food descriptions. At least he has variety.
>>
>>12169418
I can feel my cholesterol rising just reading that.
>>
File: Garrison Cap Elvis.jpg (22KB, 378x411px) Image search: [Google]
Garrison Cap Elvis.jpg
22KB, 378x411px
>>12169159
I thought it was something along the style of a Garrison cap.
>>
File: 002.jpg (443KB, 600x908px) Image search: [Google]
002.jpg
443KB, 600x908px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=souiBNaNA1M
>>
Never even heard of this. I'll look into it, thanks.
>>
File: smith_ee.jpg (46KB, 605x411px) Image search: [Google]
smith_ee.jpg
46KB, 605x411px
>>12169418
Some people claim Doc invented the powdered doughnut. His primary form of employment was Food Engineering. With the way he describes food, I can believe it.
>>
>>12179666
It basically invented space opera as a genre. Keep in mind that it's very much a product of its era, so some things will seem silly to modern sensibilities.
>>
>>12180011
This is from an author who a few years prior to writing Galactic Patrol has a book where Jupiter was a solid planet, a ship got a new computer and the crew's response was to shake his hand and offer him coffee, where sex before marriage is impossible and where two people recreated the entirety of the human technological process from scratch on a moon of one of the outer planets with the one thing holding them back: creating a vacuum for the vacuum tubes. Oh, and spaceships land in massive spring loaded docks with hemp reinforced springs to soften their landed.

Lensmen is outright modern compared to Smith's earlier stuff (and not suprising as that stuff was from the 1920s).
>>
>>12180064
Doesn't the Lensman series also have computers as mathematicians? Maybe I'm getting my settings confused.
>>
>>12180074
It has mechanical computers, but it also has really good mathematicians like that British guy.
>>
File: dude im so fucking stoned.jpg (112KB, 391x462px) Image search: [Google]
dude im so fucking stoned.jpg
112KB, 391x462px
>>12180064
>Jupiter was a solid planet, a ship got a new computer and the crew's response was to shake his hand and offer him coffee, where sex before marriage is impossible and where two people recreated the entirety of the human technological process from scratch on a moon of one of the outer planets with the one thing holding them back: creating a vacuum for the vacuum tubes. Oh, and spaceships land in massive spring loaded docks with hemp reinforced springs to soften their landed.
>>
>>12180337
>are you a lensman.jpg
>>
>>12180064
>Oh, and spaceships land in massive spring loaded docks with hemp reinforced springs to soften their landed.
That is fucking awesome.
>>
>>
>>12139797
Hey, I've got that kit. Can't win Britannia, but win Cycroader. Bird was pretty good maded for her years, with inner panel lines. If anyone interested, I may try to find it in my backlog and make photos.
>>
>>12186404
Righteous!
Thread posts: 161
Thread images: 60

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.