[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to get into mecha, but I have no idea where to start,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

I want to get into mecha, but I have no idea where to start, and what are great animes in the genre. I watched Code Geass, Evangelion and Gundam 00 and loved them all very much, but that's about what I know.

So, can you recommend some good stuff with interesting plot and characters, epic music and great battles, and of course gorgeous mecha designs.
(And in particular, what are the best animes in the Gundam franchise?)

Thanks in advance.
>>
Armored Trooper VOTOMS
Dougram
Shin Getter Robo

These are a good place to start, just be aware Shin Getter Robo might confuse you a bit if you don't read the manga first. Totally doable regardless.

As far as Gundam goes, you've already watched my personal favorite, but you should definitely watch UC. I'd skip SEED and Destiny. Wing is overrated due to Nostalgia and not very good. G is very good in a campy kung fu kind of way, which is kinda the point. Turn A will either bore you or blow you away, but it's something you should save for last. Gundam Build Fighters is great and the second season is airing currently. I'd save it for when you have a few more Gundam series under your belt so you can get all the little nods and references. G-reco (another currently airing Gundam series) is pretty polarizing at the moment, but I definitely recommend checking it out. The animation is beautiful.
>>
>>11592754
>gorgeous mecha designs.
What kind of robots do you like?
>>
File: 1413124351073.jpg (3MB, 2500x2800px) Image search: [Google]
1413124351073.jpg
3MB, 2500x2800px
>>11592754
>>
>>11592754
Gurren Lagann if you haven't already.
>>
>>11592849
Not OP, but I never saw that Samurai 7 being discussed here. Is it any good?
What about Ryu Knight? Those are the main ones of that list that I think look a bit iffy. The rest, or at least those i've seen, are generally pretty good though.
>>
>>11592849
> Aquarion, Big O, Dai-Guard, Eureka Seven, Full Metal Panic, Five Star Stories, Evangelion, etc.
Where the fuck are Raideen, Daitarn 3, Ideon, Dunbine, SPT Layzner, CCA, F91, Dragonar, L-Gaim, Brain Powerd, Victory, 08th MS, Stardust Memory, Orguss, Ai oboete imasuka ...?
>>
>>11592880
It is just meant to be a list for people starting out, not the end-all be-all of mecha.

If we listed every mecha show worth watching it would just scare people off.
>>
>>11592793
Adding to this, I would personally also recommend Gundam X. Best of the 90s Gundams in my opinion.
>>
>>11592754
Watch the Mobile Suit Gundam movie trilogy. The third film is one of the best works of anime ever.
>>
>>11592880
>complaining about Evangelion
stop being a faggot
>>
>>11592917
But Evangelion is honestly shit.
>>
>>11593006
No it isn't.
>>
>>11593006
shut up
>>
File: 1251254401575.png (10KB, 429x410px) Image search: [Google]
1251254401575.png
10KB, 429x410px
>>11592880
>Ai oboete imasuka
>being this weaboo
>>
File: 1238910867502.jpg (1MB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1238910867502.jpg
1MB, 1680x1050px
>>11593006
the only people who honestly complain about Eva anymore are contrarian try-hards.

whatever problems you might see in it, NGE is a thoroughly established properly with a fixed place in the overall anime Zeitgeist. the fact people like you still feel the need to complain about it 18 years later says far more about the show's widespread impact that anything you'll ever have to say.
>>
>>11592849
>Shin Mazinger Z
>Drama, Comedy
>Comedy
I don't remember laughing a lot watching it.
But the awesome moments blew me away
>>
>>11592861
>Ryu Knight
I have only rarely heard negative things about that show.

Also it has one of the best attack name yells out there, that helps.
>>
>>11592849
>No Fafner
>>
>>11593124
>>11593124
Ryu Knight is overall good but has three glaring flaws:
1. FOUR freaking recap episodes
2. the rather questionable final episodes
3. one random scene that kinda screws the entire premise of the second half: they make such a big fuss about how only class-changed Ryus stand a chance against the Dooms and Helldragons and then they show them getting taken out by some ninjas on foot.
>>
File: 1405072593199.jpg (28KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1405072593199.jpg
28KB, 400x300px
>>11593033

I complain about the Rebuilds a lot. Does that count?
>>
>>11592849
that list is fucking terrible
>>
>>11593006
muh random symbolism
muh edgy christian themes
muh shit mecha designs
muh shota protagonist
muh terrible waifus
muh deep characters
muh deep characters who cry all the time
muh choking
muh real human bean
muh rei
muh try-hard tomino
>>
>>11593020
What are you talking about?
Aside Macross there is a movie called Ai oboete imasuka...
>>
>>11593590
I think you at least owe Rei a few tears.

Girl lives through her life without showing her emotions, if she cries then good on her, let those feelings out baby.
>>
>>11592793

Pretty much agree with this guy. Jungle Wars arc was awesome in VOTOMS, and pretty much all of Dougram was great.

My favorite Gundam shows were 0079, 08th MS Team, War in the Pocket, and Victory. I watched all of UC in production order, and I would say you can't go wrong that way, but the above were my favorites. Some people will tell you to skip over ZZ, but I think that is a mistake. It's a decent show by itself, you just have to wait for Beecha and co. to quit being twats.
>>
>>11592801
From what I've seen I especially love elegant humanoid robots like in Gundam. Also love the Evas.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.