[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Old/obscure /m/-related books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 215
Thread images: 33

File: SAM_1810.jpg (1MB, 3647x2009px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_1810.jpg
1MB, 3647x2009px
I've come back from my trip with way less than I hoped, but more than I could've had (which is nothing). I've got a few stories to tell, but the moral of the story is that being subject to your family's dickish whims and California's shitty prices tends to combine at the worst times. But I did get $10 debit card out of it, so I have some extra money to spend on bulk buying stuff on Amazon.

Also, the next post is going to be a list of all the ePubs I've made so far. Also, I've found out that there don't seem to be legal ePubs of WH40K stuff, so I've got some extra stuff that I can do.
>>
List of all my ePubs:
seaQuest DSV, Novel 1: https://mega.co.nz/#!YE1ihARB!wjZe-j79pv8T61Ou-goJh7QaXzBMW-VEiDwjkgIaOsI
seaQuest DSV: Fire Below: http://www.mediafire.com/download/5fb3dlxm1eoy34v/seaQuest_DSV__Fire_Below.epub
Event Horizon: http://www.mediafire.com/download/23gqj2o7bpa6b1e/Event_Horizon.rar
Stargate: http://www.mediafire.com/download/d5qtq8cxi44d1i2/Stargate.epub
Stargate Rebellion: http://www.mediafire.com/download/sa7ipqdgx3n3ykx/Stargate_Rebellion.epub
The Black Hole: http://www.mediafire.com/download/83v9kfi9k1uxj43/The_Black_Hole.epub
Titan A.E.: http://www.mediafire.com/download/o2do8qxfopv36rk/Titan_A.E..epub
ID4: Silent Zone: http://www.mediafire.com/download/d90ja86ge6ada5a/Independence_Day__Silent_Zone.epub
ID4: War in the Desert: http://www.mediafire.com/download/yp7z8ay0xu77u78/Independence_Day__War_in_the_Desert.epub
Star Trek: Challenger: Chainmail/Exodus: http://www.mediafire.com/download/vujuo2mq87ns5h3/Challenger_-_Chainmail.rar
>>
File: edapproves.jpg (21KB, 475x263px) Image search: [Google]
edapproves.jpg
21KB, 475x263px
>>11200893
good to have you back bro. Sorry to hear about your trip. What will you be scanning in next?
>>
The TNG Nitpickers thing must be a beast if you're still not done with it.
But welcome back!
>>
>>11201255
>Sorry to hear about your trip. What will you be scanning in next?
Well, it wasn't a total loss. I got to see an SR-71 Blackbird in a random air museum.

I'm probably going to do Pitch Black and MIB next, since those were the runners up in that poll I did. I'm putting the Bill McCay Stargate stuff on hold until I do a bulk order of books, since I have to reorder Retaliation because the USPS seems to have lost it.

>>11201312
>The TNG Nitpickers thing must be a beast if you're still not done with it.
It's 393+ pages of double or more column material, plus 4 pages of trivia per chapter for seasons 1-6 (2 in the middle of the season, 2 at the end). I also have to do a lot more OCR correction because of how small the text is and some of the fonts used. It's probably not the longest book I'm going to do (that Bad Science one is - it's about Cold Fusion btw), but it's a fairly complicated conversion because of that.
>>
Late night bump.
>>
>>11201763
>SR-71 Blackbird

Decades later, it's still the best looking airplane mankind has ever made.
>>
Do you have any Leiji stuff?
>>
File: terminator2_test_scan.jpg (920KB, 1068x1734px) Image search: [Google]
terminator2_test_scan.jpg
920KB, 1068x1734px
>>11206115
Nope. I haven't had any opportunities to get Japanese media stuff outside of the handful of licensed things we get and scans.

The problem is that even if I did have one, my scanner mouse is not optimal for scanning non-lineart images, as pic related shows. I literally need a separate hand scanner with high DPI just for pictures if I don't want to debind the books.
>>
Anyway, 6/17 chapters done, gonna aim for 2-3 per day this week since I'm out of practice and doing 6 in one day was a bit much on the shoulder/back muscles.
>>
File: terminator2_test_scan2.jpg (2MB, 2159x2874px) Image search: [Google]
terminator2_test_scan2.jpg
2MB, 2159x2874px
Pre-dinner lineart from the Terminator 2 book.
>>
File: IMG_20140811_173828.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140811_173828.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>11200893
I don't know if this counts, but I started buying vintage sci-fi collections a little while ago. Each short story is an exploration of a different concept, and it's fantastic.
>>
>>11212435
that looks neat. You gunna scan em in?
>>
>>11212511
I actually hadn't even though about it. I definitely don't want to damage them, but there's some neat stuff in them. Not only the stories even, one is monthly publication and is full of sci-fi related ads from 1978. Another has an editor's letter encouraging the american people to support space exploration in 1986. There's even an early George RR Martin story. The artwork incredible artwork is what drew me to them in the first place.

I don't think they're that rare.You can get them for a couple dollars at any used book story. Ther usually have a good shelf or two full.
>>
>>11212651
>I definitely don't want to damage them
If you can get a scanner mouse, you won't damage them beyond a little more wear and tear on the spine while scanning them.
>>
>>11212366

Neat stuff
>>
Anyone has pdf of all Yukikaze/ chung kuo novels?
>>
9/17 chapters done, and I'm calling it a night tonight.

Oh BTW, does anyone know who the hell the author of the Warwalker novels is? Someone mentioned them in the last thread, but when I did some research, all I got was a ton of WH40K and fantasy RPG stuff.
>>
Morning folks, seems like I've conquered jet lag.
>>
>>11213379
I must also request this, I've been wanting to read the Yukikaze books.
>>
Today is the first day I've had off from work in a while so I'll be going out to run some errands, and I plan on checking out several used book stores to look for some of the stuff you mentioned in your last thread, as well as some stuff I'd like to find too.

I only have about two more chapters to scan in on the book I'm working on now, and then I'm going to start on "Titan AE Akima's Story." Hopefully I can find "Cale's Story" someday too.
>>
Time to get my three chapters in.

>>11213379
>>11215664
I'll try hunting down PDFs or physical copies, but IRC hasn't been working for me since I've gotten back from California.
>>
12/17 chapters done.

I might do a preliminary trawl through Amazon's used book listings for paperbacks and what not this weekend. If I'm lucky, I can just pick up everything at the same shop, pay one rate for shipping and get a ton of books.

Also, I just saw a goddamn vase in the captcha field. What the fuck.
>>
Did a little research last night before going to bed - turns out that there's quite a few Tron novels out there, none of which have eBook versions (not even the Legacy stuff).
>>
Pre-dinner bump.

>>11213379
>>11215664
I've done a quick look at Amazon and there are legal eBooks of at least two Yukikaze novels out there. They're a bit on the pricey side, but I'm not really sure making my own version would be worth it. I only did Star Trek: Challenger because it's a book I like and the legal version doesn't have the ending in it.
>>
>>11222299
Did you say you were looking for some Star Trek companion books? What is that specifically? I some stuff at my local bookstore but I'm not sure if it was what you're talking about.
>>
>>11223273
>What is that specifically? I some stuff at my local bookstore but I'm not sure if it was what you're talking about.
They're basically behind the scenes books with lots of interviews and info. There's ones for TNG and DS9 (the TNG and DS9 Companions) that were officially(?) sanctioned by Paramount and unofficial ones (like the books of James Van Hise). There's an eBook of the TNG one, but none for DS9 and Voyager or the old unofficial ones.

If there's one you had to buy, get the DS9 one if it's below $30, although there's a Voyager one from 2003 and another book that my local library system has.
>>
>>11223401
Well, I jotted them down on my notepad just to be sure. There were two of them, "Trek 25th Aniversary Celebration, They Voyage Continues... , Trek The Next Generation By James Van Hise" and "Trek Deepsapce Nine by Scott Nance with Chris ___ (?) and Lisa Sheehan (?)" I'm unsure about those last two name because they were covered with a sticker. Not sure if that's what you're looking for or not.
>>
>>11223469
Dunno about the Deep Space Nine one, but the Van Hise ones are legit. I wouldn't spend more than one or two dollars for each one, since they're all pretty cheap on Amazon.
>>
>>11223504
I forget how much they were but it wasn't much. It was the kind of store that doesn't price many things over five bucks tops. Well, if you want them, just say so and I can send them to you.
>>
>>11223524
>It was the kind of store that doesn't price many things over five bucks tops.
God, I miss shopping for books in stores like that. They're the best way to get tons of books cheap.

>Well, if you want them, just say so and I can send them to you.
Digitally or physically?
>>
>>11223566
physically. I got way too many books on my own "to scan" list.
>>
>>11223586
I'll just buy them off Amazon if that's the case to spare you the shipping cost.
>>
>>11223604
well alright then. Just trying to help out. I'll keep my eyes open for other Trek companion books.
>>
Alright 15/17 chapters done.
>>
File: 1324931842245.jpg (77KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1324931842245.jpg
77KB, 600x600px
>>11212366
Fuuuuuuuck that's a sexy aircraft design.
>>
>>11225068
>Fuuuuuuuck that's a sexy aircraft design.
Yup. It's also an example of how great my mouse scanner is, because a lot of the details were barely visible before I adjusted the brightness and contrast.
>>
Gonna validate some of the HTML chapter files while I work on dinner.
>>
The last two chapters were really short, so I had tons of time to kill after scanning, correcting, and formatting the HTML. Book will be done tomorrow.
>>
File: ww_yay.jpg (22KB, 217x230px) Image search: [Google]
ww_yay.jpg
22KB, 217x230px
I just finished scanning in my first book scan! I got a few touch-ups to do and some formating and then I can upload it sometime tomorrow night.
I feel like a winner!
>>
>>11228531
>I just finished scanning in my first book scan! I got a few touch-ups to do and some formating and then I can upload it sometime tomorrow night.
What format are you putting it in?
>>
>>11228571
I can only do a pdf for now, but it will have to wait until tomorrow anyways.
>>
You know what's a great thing to wale up to? Neighbors constantly rolling stuff out of their garage/thunder.
>>
Just got back from shopping, gonna validate the last few chapters of Pitch Black, compile, and test in iBooks before I post it here.
>>
File: Screenshot_2014-08-15-20-10-52.png (124KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2014-08-15-20-10-52.png
124KB, 480x800px
alright, guy from here >>11228531 >>11228590 again, I just made it into a pdf, but with some odd effects. It put a whole page in between the two images I inserted of the front and back covers, and when I put it on my tablet it gave me some weird effects in "text reflow" mode. I'm not sure what's going on here, can anyone tell me what's happening here?
>>
>>11231787
Not sure what word processor you used, but the text reflow issue seems more like missed OCR that were masked by word wrapping in the word processor and/or the sheer volume of text. I've seen a lot of stuff like your pic during my own scanning and pasting.

The page thing also sounds like a mouse fuck up where it jumps to a random spot because you touch the mouse a bit or something.
>>
>>11231838
The whole time I've been compiling all of the text into one rtf file. I loaded that into an old version of MSWord, pasted in the two images of the front and back cover with one line in between them, and then converted it to a pdf. Is there a way to fix this text issue?
>>
>>11231883
>Is there a way to fix this text issue?
The one where there are two lines of text is really simple to fix, assuming you can highlight all the errors on your tablet. You just hit enter in the space between the dialogue to split them into two lines.

The thing with the page between the pics is harder to sort out, because I don't know if the extra material is stuff that is out of place or duplicated. If it's duplicated, you can just delete it, but if it's out of place, you have to figure out where it's supposed to belong and move it there.
>>
File: screenshot2.png (71KB, 1366x585px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot2.png
71KB, 1366x585px
>>11231917
So yeah, loading this into a different word processor really reveals alot of the formatting wonkiness. Good news: I think I've identified several problems contributing to these weird effects I'm seeing with the text. Bad news: I think I'm going to have to browse through the entire book searching for them by eye in order to fix them. Not difficult, but it may take a few days. I'm definitely not using WordPad again, or the rtf format.
>>
>>11232285
Yeah, I just recommend pasting the OCR text into Word or whatever spell check equipped word processor you have. Keep in mind that you'll get tons of false positives from stuff that's not in the stock library, like hyphenated phrases and jargon.

Also, RTF format is actually really good for anything without pics, it's just that WordPad is a slightly more capable Notepad and is utter shit for intensive word processing.
>>
>>11232331
>WordPad is utter shit for intensive word processing.
Yeah I'm learning that now. See those hyphens highlighted in gray? They weren't showing up at all in WordPad and I don't know why, but there's a ton of them scattered all throughout my text. I'm calling them "ghost hyphens" now. There's some other weird stuff I can't explain that I got to clean up, but it could be worse I guess. Live and learn, other books scans should go more smoothly.
>>
Anyway, here's Pitch Black and a ridiculously spoiler and incorrect description of the story:
>A FANTASTIC FUTURISTIC THRILLER OF A DEADLY NEW FRONTIER
>A rogue comet spears an earth-bound commercial spacecraft, forcing it to plummet to the surface of an unknown planet. With the captain dead, a brave pilot performs a perilous crash landing. Other than three suns-which create perpetual light-and a slight oxygen deficiency, a search party discovers that the planet isn't much different from Earth... until they stumble across a ghostly settlement littered with the human remains of geologists who mysteriously perished exactly sixty years ago. And the most horrific discovery of all: below the surface of the soil, where darkness reigns, live hungry predators with a deadly appetite.
>Once every sixty years a solar eclipse darkens the skies and allows the blood-hungry creatures to escape from their underground tomb. With only hours before total blackout, everyone must unite in a race to raise the geologists' abandoned ship before becoming a long-awaited meal...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/905ydyr393wcu06/Pitch_Black.epub
>>
Morning bump for Pitch Black.
>>
Hey, I didn't know you where still doing this, Archivist. Good work.

>>11212366
I never realized the hunter-killer is just the Aliens dropship with two big thrusters.
>>
So, good news guys. I'm ordering a bunch of stuff off of Amazon right now. I've got lots of Alien (and Alien Nation), Predator, the last two McCay Stargate novels I need, and seaQuest novel 3.

I've got a quick question: are there scans of the English versions of Gundam: Blue Destiny and Lost War Chronicles Volume 1? If so, I won't get them. I might also be able to get the Atlantis S4 companion, since I realized I have an old gift card with an unspecified amount of money on it, assuming I don't run out of money after getting Lost War Chronicles.
>>
Hmm... it seems like there's a publisher putting out new ePubs of the Alien movie novelizations, but there's at least one review indicating they've fucked up their OCR or something and don't have paragraph breaks in at least one book. I really don't know whether I should drop those books from my order or not, since I can't get my hands on pirate copies yet (IRC is still down for me, maybe I can get it back by rebooting the PC) and see for myself if it's that bad.

Also, I got a family thing to go to soon, so I'm just going to add a bunch of stuff to my shopping cart and make the decisions after I get back.
>>
Late night bump, gonna make the decisions tomorrow after I see if the vendor has Tron books.
>>
Let's see what I accomplish day.
>>
Well, I hit super huge snag. Thanks to the ridiculousness of Amazon, you can't bulk order a bunch of paperbacks and pay a sane shipping fee. Instead, EACH AND EVERY SINGLE BOOK has its own shipping fee added up into one huge total. So my options now are to order up to three books and pray they don't get lost like the last one I ordered off Amazon, or use the money for one more expensive used book.
>>
>>11233988
Yes to both, Blue Destiny and LWC although LWC 1 is missing both "zero" chapters.
>>
>>11240393
Yeah, I hate that about Amazon too. I try to buy from a single seller as much as possible, but even when I do it STILL hits me with a bunch of separate shipping fees, even if all the stuff is in one box. ;_;
>>
Well, I'm still trying to sort out what to do with ordering stuff off Amazon. I hear vendors MIGHT give discounts, so I might try a small order and attempt to get the shipping lowered, or I might say fuck it and swallow full shipping on three books. I dunno which three they'll be, since I've got a line on a vendor with several books I really want, including Stargate companions.

That said, I'm officially reconsidering >>11223469's offer to buy those books and ship them to me. It's probably going to be cheaper than Amazon when it's all said and done. I guess I have to leave my e-mail in a post thanks to Moot fucking over the e-mail field though...
>>
>>11241388
I'm still here dude. If you want them just give the word, though I'll have to wait until my next paycheck this friday.
>>
>>11241483
>I'm still here dude. If you want them just give the word, though I'll have to wait until my next paycheck this friday.
Contact me at my e-mail to sort out the details: [email protected]

If anybody else wants/needs help with your own digitization projects, feel free to contact me there.
>>
>>11200893

Has anyone read that book by Freeman Dyson? I never imagined he would write a book with a title like that.
>>
>>11243377
>Has anyone read that book by Freeman Dyson? I never imagined he would write a book with a title like that.
I quickly flipped through it. It's about how the human condition affects nuclear war/strategy, which is pretty interesting.
>>
>>11243399

Thanks, I managed to find it in my local library.
>>
Alright, dinner is out of the way, so I'm going to start working on Men in Black.

I asked one used book vendor about combining shipping here's what I got:
>Unfortunately, we do not offer to combine or reduce shipping fees at this time. We are unable to offer this option at the time of purchase, due to the possibility that the items may ship form different locations. If you would like, please let us know once your order has shipped, and we will be more than happy to check the ship from locations of your items. At that time we may be able to supply you with a discount.

Should I go for it and hope for a discount?
>>
>>11245282

Dunno, I always find I have too many books and I haven't read them all. Depends on the kind of books though. I say go for it.
>>
>>11245321
>Dunno, I always find I have too many books and I haven't read them all. Depends on the kind of books though. I say go for it.
I really don't have too many unread books lying around. I might go for it, but only with three books. I might go Stargate Retaliation, seaQuest novel 3, and Stargate Atlantis S1 companion.
>>
Lunch bump, the scanner mouse is back on sale: http://www.neweggflash.com/Product/N82E16826304001?utm_source=WP_9_08192014&utm_medium=web&icid=WP_9_08192014

Been getting Amazon e-gift cards, just gotta make sure I drained one completely before I go order stuff.
>>
>>11248095
I gotta see how shipping on that stuff works...I have a postbox at a nearby U.S. mail office and they told me they dont accept packages from thier "competitors," like Fedex.
>>
>>11248095

Thanks for this! I didn't know something like that existed.
>>
>>11249680
Yeah, I was surprised when I found out about these things myself.

>>11248237
>I gotta see how shipping on that stuff works...I have a postbox at a nearby U.S. mail office and they told me they dont accept packages from thier "competitors," like Fedex.
That's some weird bullshit, but seems to be because USPS is butthurt about not getting a cut of the shipping fee. That said, Newegg sometimes uses DHL for shipping, so they might be able to deliver to your PO box.
>>
Okay, got 4 chapters in today, but I expect 3 to be the average from now on, thanks to my brother going back to school and taking forever to do homework that I either have to help him on or do for him due to reasons.

I have a question: was there ever a scene in Men in Black where the LTD straight up vaporized people trying to break into it? Because I don't remember it in the movie, but I feel like I've seen a commercial that was like that.

>>11248237
Having done a little digging, I guess the best option for you is to have it shipped to a local friend/family member's place, then pick it up there. I assume you live in an apartment or something where having the mail delivered to your door is a non-option.
>>
File: Valentian-Barlowes.jpg (105KB, 693x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Valentian-Barlowes.jpg
105KB, 693x1024px
Here's most of the Lensman series.

https://mega.co.nz/#!Yd8XGQCD!krP_bK6WRfk0ADjDWBL2i4Ey1j9TPjv29gxrAqcX2WY
>>
Just ordered the books. Once they ship, I plan to ask if I can get a discount on shipping. Hopefully I get at least one shipping charge knocked off so I can order another book.

>>11251612
Cool, thanks for the link.
>>
File: image.jpg (58KB, 287x477px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58KB, 287x477px
"If I ever find a suit that will let me scratch between my shoulder blades, I'll marry it."
>>
>>11253512

Normally I'm not a huge fan of first person narration, but Johnny just seemed like the most chill dude.
>>
Really late pre-dinner bump. Covering my butt here in case I get held up driving my old man around.

Also, I took a quick flip through the Project Orion book. All of the pictures are pretty shit in terms of quality (the diagrams are fine), so scanning them with my scanner wouldn't be a problem. I'll probably do that Saturday or Sunday and post a few fun ones.
>>
Alright, only got two chapters done, but I'm 9 chapters out of 25, which isn't too bad.
>>
Lunch bump, got one shipping charge refunded, so I can buy another book. Dunno when I'm going to get the ones I ordered, because Amazon used book retailers are too cheap/cashstrapped to pay for that option, I guess.
>>
12/26 chapters done, so nearly half way done.
>>
Bumping this thread. I just picked up Weapons and Hope by Freeman Dyson from the library. I read the first few pages where he explains Warriors vs Victims. It's pretty spot on, at least the warrior part, after reading some military books and how the language is always unemotional.

I didn't know Von Neumann was kinda a jerk...
>>
>>11254571
>>11255749
Seems to have an incredibly /m/ relevant book.
>>
Just >>11261240 reposting, but yeah, scholarly material on Gundam 00
http://ajgs.org/index.php/AJGS/article/view/119
>>
Done with dinner, now on to my three chapters for the night.

Just an FYI, I might not get much done tomorrow. Got golf in the morning and a social event in the evening.
>>
File: 20140822_191937.jpg (106KB, 1170x2080px) Image search: [Google]
20140822_191937.jpg
106KB, 1170x2080px
>>11200893

>ctrl+f Starship Troopers
>zero results
Its like you apes wanna live forever
>>
>>11262928
whoops, didn't see
>>11253512
>>
>>11262928
These threads are more about making ebook editions of obscure/dated stuff that isn't in ebook form yet. I would guess a classic like ST has already been digitized.
>>
>>11262928
That's some pretty pleb cover art.
>>
File: 20140822_204253.jpg (135KB, 1170x2080px) Image search: [Google]
20140822_204253.jpg
135KB, 1170x2080px
>>11263110
yeah, the mobile infantry are barely visible, and they don't look like armored gorillas.
>>
15/26 chapters done and no golf tomorrow, so I can dump some Project Orion images if you guys want.
>>
>>11200893
>California's shitty prices
What is this?
>>
>>11223401
Are you talking about the Companion books?
>>
>>11263898
>What is this?
Compared to Florida, you pay a lot of extra money in taxes and for gas. That makes things WAY more expensive.

>>11264006
>Are you talking about the Companion books?
Yes.
>>
>>11265533
I finally got a day off from work, I might check out some book stores today. I'm the guy from here, >>11223469 and >>11241483 , you still want them?
>>
File: orion-p234.jpg (405KB, 1339x865px) Image search: [Google]
orion-p234.jpg
405KB, 1339x865px
>>11265996
Yup, contact me at my e-mail to sort out the details: [email protected]

And here's a Project Orion scan for you all. It's kind of darkly humorous when you remember that we're talking about nuclear powered spacecraft.
>>
>>11266015
alright, I'll pick them up (if they're still there). I'll send you an email later.
>>
File: orion-p242.jpg (374KB, 1307x814px) Image search: [Google]
orion-p242.jpg
374KB, 1307x814px
Back from some volunteer bullshit. Here's another Project Orion scan from earlier today.

BTW, someone's trying to do a documentary on Project Orion: http://atomicdreamfilm.com/trailer/. I'm gonna use screencaps from their trailer to replace some super shitty pics that were in the book, since the book's publisher really fucked up the brightness and contrast of a lot of pictures and illustrations.
>>
File: orion-p276.jpg (478KB, 1213x941px) Image search: [Google]
orion-p276.jpg
478KB, 1213x941px
Morning bump - it's a schematic of an Orion's command module.
>>
Pre-dinner bump, got three chapters done, might do two or three more after dinner.
>>
20/26 chapters done on MiB. Might be able to get the eBook out on Tuesday, since two of the final chapters are ultra short.
>>
File: 1380821962946.jpg (41KB, 412x516px) Image search: [Google]
1380821962946.jpg
41KB, 412x516px
>>11266015
All three of those scenarios are horrifying.
>>
>>11275717
And they're the PRELIMINARY ground hazards. Just imagine everything else they came up with.
>>
23/26 chapters done. We're in the final stretch now.
>>
File: 1271958729028.jpg (472KB, 3200x1113px) Image search: [Google]
1271958729028.jpg
472KB, 3200x1113px
>>11277655
>>11275717
Indeed, each pallet have to be a self-contained shaped bomb so each pulse would create radioactive debris that stay in orbit.

For all I heard about Orion's nuclear pulse being awesome this is in my opinion the worse kind of nuclear thruster to use in orbit, and worse as a launch vehicle.
>>
Gonna validate files while I have an early dinner, then get on with the scanning and book compiling.

>>11278375
Remember, this was a time when a nuclear powered cruise missile was seriously being considered. The guys back in the day really underestimated how bad they could fuck things up with something like this (at least at the start).
>>
Well, here's MiB:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/91ddytpj06pyui0/Men_in_Black.epub

This novel feels like an early script that's a lot closer to the original comics in terms of the darkness and K being a dick. There's a lot people getting killed by the Arquillans.
>>
BTW, I might take tomorrow off or do some more Nitpicker's Guide to TNG before starting Project Orion. Need to make more headway on that long ass book.
>>
>>
Post-dinner bump, gonna do another half-season of TNG Nitpicker's guide, since I'm nowhere near close to being finished with that book.
>>
Holy fuck, I have 2 more seasons to go through before I'm done with the Nitpicker's guide? Christ, as long as I don't have to go back to back with scanning a workbook...

I'll start Project Orion tomorrow and try to cram in as much as possible before football kills my productivity.
>>
File: P1070825.jpg (117KB, 825x539px) Image search: [Google]
P1070825.jpg
117KB, 825x539px
>>
>>11284569
>>11289166
That's a nice model, even if it's missing the nose cone from the original design.
>>
This Project Orion book is pretty interesting, especially since it's by Freeman Dyson's son, which gives it an interesting perspective. The only bad part are the block paragraphs, which'll look like shit on a phone screen and make the book like 2000 pages in iBooks. Here's a great, somewhat amusing, quote from the preface:
>All the people I visited or revisited in gathering this account believe they contributed to a dream that was nonetheless important for having failed. The years they spent working on Orion were the most exciting of their lives. Would they do it again? Definitely yes. Should we do it now? Probably not.
>Should we do it now? Probably not.
Yeah, that's probably for the best. We don't need a shitstorm caused by an atomic rocket irradiating huge swathes of the planet right now.
>>
>>11291709
Would using a conventional rocket to boost it out of Earth's atmosphere be a plausible avenue of deployment? Or would we simply pass through the radioactive exhaust while orbiting the sun?
>>
File: sempermars.jpg (36KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
sempermars.jpg
36KB, 300x400px
Is it ok to talk about new books in this thread? I recently finished Ian Douglas's nine Space Marine novels, which were pretty alright if you could stomach the MURRICA. Anyone have any cool newer /m/ novels to recommend? I've read most of the classic ones, some multiple times. Power Armor isn't a requirement, but I love it deeply.
>>
>>11292461
Read things about Bolos, if you haven't already. Abnett's Titanicus is also pretty cool if you're ok with 40k (there's some really neat stuff about the heavily machine augmented mechanicum guys).
>>
>>11292461
Read all them bolo's already, loved the hell out of them. Dat boot up sequence. I've read a few Black Library novels, haven't read that one though, I'll check it out.
>>
>>11292439
I think building the ship out in orbit would probably be safer, given the mass of many of the Orion designs. It would be expensive as fuck though, without orbital elevators.
>>
I received seaQuest DSV: The Ancient today, the bright spot in a day full of sniffling and congestion. I'm gonna try to get my three chapters for the day done, but I gotta be careful to avoid dripping on the book.

That's especially true because I got this for like $1 at most at a university library book sale, and the published editions cost like $20 USED.
>>
Well, that 6 out of however many chapters done. You're going to learn A LOT about nuclear bombs in this books, including things like you can build nuclear fission bombs that can fit in your hand.
>>
Well, I killed enough time watching football, time to start scanning.
>>
Super late status update: I've gotten 8 chapters done, which is pretty great after weeks of 3 chapters a day. There's some pretty awesome stuff in the chapters I've done, like a nuke powered directed energy weapon and an Orion team member that was an anti-Nazi resistance fighter, and some weird stuff, like George Dyson constantly referring to his dad as "Freeman."

I also got Stargate Retaliation and the Atlantis Season 1 companion, so I'll probably do another post about future plans soon.
>>
Anyway, here's my plan for the next few weeks: finish off Project Orion (including the article/illustration appendices), then do seaQuest DSV 3, then start the Bill McCay Stargate blitz. In between each new book, I'll do a half season of TNG Nitpicker's Guide, then switch to that Cold Fusion book when I'm done with that. Still gotta figure out if I want to burn the rest of my Amazon gift card balance on SG Resistance or something else.
>>
>>11215664
Did /rs/ go down?

I'm gonna hate myself for this, but stand by...
>>
>>11302457
I miss /rs/ moot should have kept it around
>>
>>11302511
Well, at any rate.

https://mega.co.nz/#!299xkR7B!PtJnhfxIzY8DEFpijPTxHjO1YmoeL439ngszm4he1o0

https://mega.co.nz/#!u0VhwYLB!u1fuTWP31IA3gJL_3i-Pca_D8R7KymO3GjKWum90o9M

I didn't post this.
I wasn't here.

You assholes owe me some purchased copies for this, by the way.
>>
Pre-church bump. If I don't bump the thread again before it hits page 9, I'd appreciate someone doing it for me. My internet is acting up right now.
>>
Alright, I'm on the HTML stage for chapter 18. I might do one or two more chapters tonight, assuming that I don't have to spend a lot of time wrangling HTML on a complicated math equation.
>>
Done with chapter 20. I've supplemented the book's cutaway of the Air Force Orion with a labelled cutaway that must have been released after the book was published.
>>
It's pretty cool that this thread exists.
>>
Done with lunch, gonna see how many chapters I do today.
>>
Status update: down to two chapters still unconverted, but I just realized the notes section is full of stuff that is all page specific, so I have to see if I can find some old code that was going to be used in another eBook conversion and manually add links to and from each note into every chapter.
>>
>>>/co/65190525
>>
Mmm... future threads might be in danger if this 4chan DMCA stuff is true:
>>>/co/65202104
>>
File: GRLNSMNZWX1970.jpg (39KB, 241x400px) Image search: [Google]
GRLNSMNZWX1970.jpg
39KB, 241x400px
>>
Pre-dinner bump, gonna do the bibliography and image credits for sure, might start the notes too. There are so many that I don't think it would be practical to scan the whole list and work from there.
>>
Did 2.5 chapters worth of notes (the preface barely counts as a chapter), but I had to go back and redo them a few times because the scanner's OCR software consolidated a few entries into paragraphs. It'll definitely take me a while to get this done, since there's literally ~24 notes in 2.5 chapters.
>>
Thanks for continuing, OP.
>>
Try this forum http://forum.mobilism.org so you don't spend ages doing doubles.
>>
>>11317709
I've checked them out. They did have a few books I did/will convert, but they were ones with formatting problems. They also have a few that I could just tweak and reupload here.

>>11317566
No problem, I really enjoy doing this, so I don't see any reason to stop as long as I don't get sued.
>>
File: lc03gp.jpg (62KB, 516x574px) Image search: [Google]
lc03gp.jpg
62KB, 516x574px
>>
Pre-dinner bump, gonna jump back into the notes nightmare.
>>
Ugh, another four chapters down. It's going to take forever to do the rest, since there are 28 pages of notes in the book and about two dozen notes per page.
>>
File: 1401909007380.jpg (2MB, 2032x2888px) Image search: [Google]
1401909007380.jpg
2MB, 2032x2888px
>>
>>11318035
I can not find dead tree versions of this opus. I'm going to have to just download it already.
>>
>>11320698
The SF Bookclub has a 2 book set that contains all the Lensmans books in hardback. They reprint it every few years so they might have some at the moment.
>>
Gonna kill my eyes some more working on the notes.
>>
Another four chapters done. My eyes are killing me, so I'm going to call it a night.
>>
Lunch bump. Dunno how much work I'll be able to do this weekend, since I've been roped into playing golf tomorrow.
>>
>>11320666
>"Space air is getting in!"
>"Goggles on!"
>>
Got dinner early, so I might be able to do a bit more than usual tonight.
>>
Got another 4 chapters done, plus added some excerpt formatting that I forgot to do.
>>
Morning bump, I'm off to play golf. Gonna see what I can do after I get back.
>>
Working on the notes while watching football. Gone through a few chapters, dunno how far I'll get today.
>>
I'm done for tonight. I should be able to wrap up the note insertion for the chapters tomorrow, maybe even start setting up the notes chapter.
>>
>>11262928
Oh hey, my copy has that cover.

I've taken significantly better care of mine, though.
Faggot.
>>
Looks like I might not have too much bullshit to work around, so I might get a lot of stuff done today.
>>
File: DSCF0103.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0103.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
So I had this memory the other day of these Star Wars Adventure books I used to have when I was a kid, I went digging through the basement and I found them, some of them covered in rat shit, but they're still in good condition. Would there be interest in scanning these in?
>>
Good news, I'm done with scanning and manually inputting the notes. Bad news: not only do I have to manually set 391 links from the notes page to the notes, but I missed a note earlier and now have to renumber 320-some links (after doing about fifty).
>>
Got up to 70 links before I just couldn't stand working on the book anymore today. Sleep should fix that.

>>11336514
>Would there be interest in scanning these in?
Did that stuff even have any effect on the EU at all, or was that all its own segregated continuity?
>>
>>11339363
probably it's own continuity. It's a collection of short tales that seems like takes place during The Phantom Menace. Kinda like what the DBZ movies are to the official DBZ timeline. They are very juvenile books, obviously intended for preteens, but I remember really enjoying them. There's two different versions of each book, a "game" version which you place through like an adventure novel, you have to keep a score and roll dice and such, and there's also a novelization of those same game books. Maybe it'd be fun to do something with the game books on /tg/, though I'm not experienced with that sort of thing. I've looked it up online now and apparently there were only 15 books in this series so I'm only two short, I'll try to find those last two and see if I can order them.
>>
File: 511QZWhXT7L.jpg (40KB, 385x500px) Image search: [Google]
511QZWhXT7L.jpg
40KB, 385x500px
I would really like an E-book copy of this guy. I doubt I'll ever find one though.
>>
>>11339437
step 1: Live at the bottom of a gravity well
step 2: die
>>
>>11339446
I feel like if they're bothering to invade, vice just obliterating everyone from beyond Earth orbit then they have specific enough objectives that you probably have a fighting chance.
>>
>>11339469
Have you read Ringo's Posleen series? I felt like it was a realistic invasion story.
>>
File: tumblr_n6eak8euWW1sndzdgo3_500.jpg (68KB, 441x600px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n6eak8euWW1sndzdgo3_500.jpg
68KB, 441x600px
Spectacular Sci-Fi Sampler includes:
-Superiority
-Mission of Gravity
-Star Smashers of the Galaxy Rangers
-Have Space Suit Will Travel
-Misunderstanding

https://mega.co.nz/#!URkgSLpA!YonmPb93juubvhpgaO9sFebu7ChUXuUbqJMM2ayYPMU
>>
File: 1274532411468.jpg (209KB, 685x908px) Image search: [Google]
1274532411468.jpg
209KB, 685x908px
>>11339969
Have just read superiority, it's short and good.
I sort of like those single-point story, it's like OAV that you can discuss simply without going into continuity and retcon.

Like "The Martian Way" a short story all around the idea of using space resources in new way rather than Earth resources.
>>
Gonna try to get some links sorted out, but I'm getting saddled with helping with a ton of homework, so no progress guarantees.
>>
Did 3 chapters worth of link fixing after trying to decipher one of the most poorly written science textbooks I've ever seen. Should be able to do more tomorrow, since I don't have to deal with distractions.
>>
>>11344969
I just finished scanning in 30 pages today in my book, about a third of the way through it now.
>>
>>11345022
Which book are you doing? Titan AE: Akima's Story?

If it is you, were you the one who e-mailed me? If so, did you get my e-mail reply?
>>
Dinner's out of the way and there's nothing getting in the way, so I'm hoping to get a lot of links out of the way.
>>
Got slightly over a hundred links done, which is great progress.
>>
Lunch bump. Really starting to get tired of working on the least interesting part of the Orion book, but what can you do.
>>
>>11351368
I'm hyped for the Orion book.Odd to think humanity could have a ship a decent way to another star at this point if we'd really wanted it.
>>
>>11351412
Only if your "ship" is an unmanned probes, and by "decent way" you mean only capable of a flyby to Proxima Centauri after 100year of travel and after building a fusion-powered ship far better than the fission-pulse Orion.

I really wonder where come this fascination for the Orion pulse ship.
It's like fusion torchship aren't exotic enough.
>>
>>11351452
>I really wonder where come this fascination for the Orion pulse ship.
It's probably due to the fact that it's the only fast moving spaceship design that we can build with current technology. Fusion torches have this huge issue of relying on technology we don't have.

Anyway, I'm off to fix the links again. Wish me luck.
>>
Got 50+ done today. I've stopped really keeping track of the numbers, but I should be done with the notes in a day or two. Then I scan in the acknowledgments, fix the picture links, compile the book, and upload. I'll probably take a break for a day or two to recharge, because this one turned out harder than I expected.
>>
Ugh, I had a post about my progress so far, but 4chan ate it. Feel free to bump it later tonight if it plummets really far (like page 6-8).

I'm going to bed.
>>
Lunch bump. Got some exciting news - next week my local library system's main library is having it's fall book sale, so I should be able to pick up some stuff for cheap. It's where I got stuff like the Titan A.E. and Species novelizations.
>>
File: 1323471910593.jpg (152KB, 858x1396px) Image search: [Google]
1323471910593.jpg
152KB, 858x1396px
>>
Post dinner bump. Here's hoping I finish the notes today, maybe even prepare the picture links for the final conversion.
>>
Well, some way or another, I'm done with all the links. Maybe I can finish the book tomorrow and end this purgatory.
>>
Lunch bump. I think getting the book done tonight is very possible, which is good, because I plan to play golf tomorrow and not scan anything.
>>
File: 1347594675144.jpg (52KB, 363x500px) Image search: [Google]
1347594675144.jpg
52KB, 363x500px
>>
Dinner's kind of late today, so I'm going to start validating all the chapter files right now. Might as well fix the image source URLs while I'm at it.
>>
Here's Project Orion: http://www.mediafire.com/download/unrnb48lbrh4lew/Project_Orion__The_Atomic_Spaceship_1957-1965.epub

This is a large file (~16MB) due to the amount of images and their file sizes. Let me know if there are any really obnoxious typos/errors.
>>
>>11362333
The images in this one aren't displaying inline for me, but it could be calibre's viewer screwing up. Let me check a few other viewers.
>>
>>11362386
I made a few (all that I could check?) of the images show up for me by replacing ``../images'' with ``images''. I'm not sure if that was the right thing to do, either from a standpoint of common sense or EPUB standards: https://mega.co.nz/#!ghJHFRAT!LXO-2VqX188_h9elJGMfqhz0J7ehD3IXXrqOjZeifFw if you want to compare it. Either way, many thanks for the upload, as I'm off to read it now.
>>
>>11362333
>>11362421
Okay, it seems like all ePub readers EXCEPT iBooks hate relative URLs. This is an easy fix.
>>
>>11362425
>iThing
>shit
Pick two and exactly two.
>>
Okay, here's a link to a version that should have all the images working: http://www.mediafire.com/download/331hdx9ifn89x3c/Project_Orion__The_Atomic_Spaceship_1957-1965.epub

Same file size though and a warning - don't read this in Adobe Digital Editions unless you use fullscreen, because it'll shove pictures into the background and display text over them if you don't.
>>
File: 1347773028988.jpg (43KB, 337x500px) Image search: [Google]
1347773028988.jpg
43KB, 337x500px
>>
Been enjoying college football today and I've found out that /m/'s own CrashmanX is making tons of progress on translating G Gen Overworld after numerous road blocks. 'Tis the season for good things for /m/ I guess.
>>
Late night safety bump to make sure it's still here after I go to sleep.
>>
I have a bunch of science fiction anthologies, dunno if any of them are noteworthy or /m/ though.
>>
Late lunch bump. Got some stuff I got to help my brother with, then I'm off to scan in at least half a chapter of the TNG Nitpicker's Guide.
>>
File: Bajki Robotów Lem.jpg (21KB, 300x517px) Image search: [Google]
Bajki Robotów Lem.jpg
21KB, 300x517px
The fact that this thread is still alive makes me very happy.
Also, anyone here know Lem's stories? I know that they are not THAT obscure, but many of them still are old enough to meet OP's criteria.
>>
Decided to let my eyes rest a little more, so I only did a half chapter (13 episodes + mid-chapter trivia) of Nitpicker's Guide. Will try to do a few chapters of seaQuest DSV: The Ancient, but no guarantees on how much I'll be able to do.

>>11369872
>Also, anyone here know Lem's stories? I know that they are not THAT obscure, but many of them still are old enough to meet OP's criteria.
I feel like I know of Lem in passing, through people mentioning his stories, but not Lem specifically.
>>
>>11369872
I know _of_ his stuff.
Isn't most of it not translated into English?
>>
>>11372448
Maybe the non-fiction. A hell of a lot of Lem's work has been translated into English and a whole slew of other languages.

Unfortunately, I've only read the Cyberiad (Kandel's translation is phenomenal considering how much Lem likes puns and semi-real words. The original Polish reads like Jabberwocky at times, and that's a damn hard thing to get across properly), and I've got Solaris sitting around somewhere that I really need to get on reading.
>>
Lunch bump - Project Orion the second lowest downloaded title so far, beating Men in Black by 4 DLs. Event Horizon is the most downloaded, with 69 DLs (+6 from before I started these threads).
>>
>>11372724
any idea if there's a translation out there for the thing First Spaceship on Venus was based on?
>>
>>11374382
Just into German, I think. He really didn't like it in retrospect.
>>
>>11369872
In a bit of a coincidence, a coworker of mine recommended Lem to me today. That's enough coincidence for me to pick his stuff up.
>>
>>11372448
All but two of his anthologies available in English are available in (horribly overpriced) Kindle editions. There might be some translated other stuff that isn't available in digital formats, but I don't know how to find it.

Anyway, the first three chapters of seaQuest 3 are weird. The first one has pre-MuvLuv Total Eclipse Yuuya Bridges (except Scottish/Japanese), the second one has Lucas spill spaghetti while talking to Darwin about girls, and the third ends on a bombshell that gets skipped for a few chapters.

Also, here's a thing about Wernher von Braun's crazy huge conventional rocket that never got made: http://www.wired.com/2014/09/wernher-von-brauns-fantastic-vision-ferry-rocket/
>>
>>11376956
>6400 metric ton rocket

Christ.
>>
Lunch bump. I'm starting to remember why I don't like the seaQuest book I'm working on. It feels VERY season 2, which wasn't helped by the Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea joke in chapter 3.
>>
Pre-dinner bump. Let's see what kind of weird shit we'll find now.
>>
Got three more chapters done (with more Lucas spilling spaghetti), but I left the book on a couch for a few minutes, then came back to find someone sitting on it. Front cover's pretty fucked up, but luckily I scanned it earlier. Kinda pissed About the cover, especially since I paid $4 for the book.
>>
Lunch bump. I think I'm going to take the day off Friday so I can spend actual time at the book sale this time, since I'm looking for stuff for you guys.
>>
Late post dinner bump, working on today's quota.
Thread posts: 215
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.