[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Howcome we don't see more of this sort of features on mecha's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 12

File: 1407216027113.jpg (207KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1407216027113.jpg
207KB, 1280x720px
Howcome we don't see more of this sort of features on mecha's hands? I know the primary function of the hand for the mecha isn't to carry people. But they always seem to end up carrying somebody at some point anyway.
>>
>>11179948

>az thread
>>
>>11179959
No, general anime mecha hand thread.
>>
>>11179948

Most designers don't consider it a feature.
>>
>>11179983

>general

u fcked up
>>
>>11179948
What material are the Aldnoah grun thands even made out of? The CG makes it a horrible soft reflective thing but it's clearly trying to avert exposed mechanical hands at the very least.

They look grippier but I can't tell if the material is soft or hard.
>>
Howcome we don't see more of this sort of features on mecha's feet? I know the primary function of the feet for the mecha isn't to murder people. But they always seem to end up killing somebody at some point anyway.
>>
File: 2240860998_286e57d609_m.jpg (14KB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
2240860998_286e57d609_m.jpg
14KB, 240x180px
>>11179994
Just typical mechanical hand with thick fabric overlay for grip traction, from the way it looks.

Probably easier to animate than ones with actual joints and shit as well.
>>
even in patlabor, they gave the labors gloves later on. it's a real no brainer if you think about it. hard cover hands are slippery as fuck, you'd want cover it with something that adds traction
>>
>>11179948
The Aldnoah mecha have lots of features and attention to detail, which really helps the grunt feeling. Grappling hooks, boosters, the works.

It doesn't quite make up for the poor CG models, but it helps.
>>
>>11180029
if i dun see that tiny handle that can be flipped out on the eventual model kits, i'll be highly upset.
>>
>>11179948
Because those mech (13 m tall) are smaller than the usual ones.
Because the staffers are a bunch of try-hard.
>>
>>11179948

Sauce?
>>
>>11179948
I always thought most mechs had a light rubber coating in their hands.
>>
>>11180087
Aldnoah.Zero

A hate it or love it kinda show. Judging from all the shit posting it gets in every threads from both side of that spectrum.
>>
>>11180056
>small mechanical details are now try-hard because i don't like the show
Mechanical designs are to be enjoyed regardless of what you think of the show, anon.
>>
>>11180147
>small mechanical details are now try-hard because the staff forgets to put effort on everything else

FTFY
>>
>>11180104
pretty sure he was referring to that silly little handle the girl's holding on to at the bottom of the mech's palm.
>>
>>11180142
Extremely love it or hate it, less because of the show itself and more because of the staff and hype surrounding it prior to release that's shoved it into a painful area that breeds shitposting.

If you watch it and like it, just try to ignore the threads. If you're lucky the shitposting will die down eventually.
>>
>>11180153
But the man who designs the mecha has nothing to do with the rest of the production staff. There are plenty of great shows with mediocre mecha designs and plenty of mediocre shows with great mecha designs.

The guys in the animation department can't be blamed for the writing staff.
>>
>>11180167
No, it is his fault too. The anime is all style and no substance, and that thing is another catchy thing that adds nothing to the mecha itself, but it is there just make people think "COOOOOOOL".
Same goes for the obnoxious OST by Sawano.
>>
>>11180147
Speaking of small design choices, the automatic head airbag and neck braces are pretty great pieces of a pilot suit.
>>
>>11180180
Or they could, you know... Make them wear helmets... But since their faces kinda look generic as hell. Taking away the hairstyle might confuse the viewers. So they went with the helmetless design.
>>
>>11180187
A helmet won't protect your neck and is mechanically different from an airbag. A properly strapped in pilot shouldn't be able to bash his head against his cockpit.
>>
File: DH-132HorizPic.jpg (40KB, 775x251px) Image search: [Google]
DH-132HorizPic.jpg
40KB, 775x251px
>>11180195
They do issue helmets to tank crews, who also fight while occupying in a small enclosed space. Jets and helicopter pilots also wear helmets.
>>
>>11180201
Don't jet and heli pilots wear them to have something to keep their comm/air lines in place?

I thought tankers weren't strapped in as much, but I admit to not knowing that much about modern armour.
>>
>>11180201
Obviously the ideal solution is to simply have both.
>>
>>11180206
A tank crew is probably going to be moving around a lot, as opposed to a mecha pilot who is strapped in tight so he can't bump his head on things in front of him, and has his communications equipment in the cockpit with him.

A helmet should probably still be in but I can see where they're coming from.
>>
>>11180206
>Aren't they just for communications and shit?
It's to protect them from concussions and such. Maybe even a bullet through the windshield if they're lucky.

The last thing you want is the guy driving your tank to accidentally bump his head and get knocked out.
>>
>>11180180
>the automatic head airbag and neck braces
I actually liked that detail as well as the pre-loaded weathering.

and that the trainer really is BRIGHT ORANGE/WHITE. So far i'm mostly enjoying the space racism, Slaine's double life, the music and the mechanics.

oh and the straight laced female captains. never enough of those.
>>
It's nice to have it, but seems redundant to show it.

Cosmetic robots.
>>
>>11180213
I was talking about aircraft crews specifically, since they tend to run into things less than the tankers. Plus if you can snipe a jet pilot I think you kind of earned the kill (kind of makes sense for a helicopter gunship doing close support though).
>>
File: passenger_position2_1.jpg (4KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
passenger_position2_1.jpg
4KB, 160x160px
>>11179948

Or maybe all mechas do have something similar and we just never noticed it? I mean it took me 5 years before noticing my bike had built in flip out footpegs for pessanger.

Never noticed because I never needed it. Never got any cute girl to ride in the backseat with her arms around my waist in these 5 lonely years...; ;
>>
>>11180241
Usually airplane pilots will have displays and communications built in to their helmets, but it's also there to protect them from accidents. Their flightsuits too are specially designed to minimize health risks. It's a mixture of safety and tacticool.

Jet fighters will also have air masks for the pilots too. We've all seen those before in movies and whatnot.
>>
>>11180249

Don't worry, as a rule I'd never take a passenger, too many horror stories of crashes where the passenger gets completely rekt, or decapitations from people taking corners too close and the passenger's head being higher.
>>
File: omg_motorcycle.jpg (48KB, 355x397px) Image search: [Google]
omg_motorcycle.jpg
48KB, 355x397px
>>11180266
safest way to transport your girl with a motorcycle.
>>
Godannar has inflatable cushions for catching falling people, IIRC.

Beyond that, most mechs with hands usually have some means of providing some sort of friction-based grip.
>>
>>11183372
I still think that it was a nice moment when Amuro tells Sayla to lay down so he can carefully carry her.
>>
>>11180056
>Because those mech (13 m tall) are smaller than the usual ones.

The size of the hand shouldn't affect the usefulness of a handle.
>>
>>11183336

more like safest way to be ntrd.
>>
>>11180142

He asked what show, not your opinion on it you dumbfuck. If he was literate, he would be able to form his own opinion without resorting to shit threads and taking sides.
>>
>>11183372
>Godannar has inflatable cushions for catching falling people, IIRC.

Yep. And that's how Goh met Anna, when she was just a precociously busty 12 year old.
>>
>>11183372
Came here to bring that up. Saved Anna's life in the backstory.
>>
>>11183488
Case in point
>>
File: 1406135796180.gif (2MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1406135796180.gif
2MB, 640x480px
>>11180029
I like how the eye camera turns off when the muzzle flash happens
>>
>>11186469

I think it's actually a little sliding blast cover, you can see it clearly when Inaho starts his trainer up in the same episode.
>>
>>11187012
yes, this. you can see it in the gif also, its sliding over from the side, mechanical blinking.
>>
>>11186469
It's amazing how they spent so much effort on small details like this but went full potato on the overall backstory.
>>
>>11187500
>but went full potato on the overall backstory.
The backstory was fairly fleshed out. Obviously not as much as something like the OYW but we have a decent timeline of events without going into specifics.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aosml5TKFAI
>>
>>11187528
It was fleshed out. The flesh had Down's syndrome.
>>
>>11187579
How so? I genuinely cannot see what you think is so terrible about the backstory.
>>
>>11187532

> Jojo: "Next, you were going to say..."
> Jojo just sort of trails off into blank silence.
> Cut to Inaho pokerfacing and not saying anything.
> After a couple of seconds, Inaho looks mildly surprised.

A battle of geniuses
>>
>>11187500
we're only on episode 5, there's the whole rest of the episodes to show and tell.

besides this is /m/, if we can't appreciate the little tech details, then why bother.
>>
>>11187588

Don't bother. There are a couple of dedicated AZ trolls hanging around, at least one of whom has already admitted that he wants to push AZ off of /m/ entirely and will fuck with as many threads as he has to to do so. All because some producer, months before release, said that he wanted AZ to surpass Gundam.

Personally, I think AZ is neat but has a couple of flaws. Its timeline, for example, is just too compressed to really make sense under scrutiny. Not enough time for the cultures of Earth and Mars to split that much. But I'm willing to overlook that for the sake of enjoyment of the show, kind of like I am willing to overlook that there is no reason Mobile Suits should be used in space over any other kind of space fighter. It is neccessary for the cool story that I want to watch, so be it.
>>
File: 1395789713038.gif (48KB, 832x624px) Image search: [Google]
1395789713038.gif
48KB, 832x624px
>>11187588
The main complaints are usually the establishment of an independent and culturally distinct civilization on Mars in under 40 years, and Earth not being a sterile, hell-like inferno after being impacted by a substantial portion of the Moon.
>>
Godannar had a giant inflatable airbag in the robot's hand so it could catch falling people without killing them.
>>
>>11187716
That's a feature a lot of mechs need. Seriously that cliche is so common, but realistically it would kill the person being caught.
>>
>>11187791

Depends - sometimes the pilot flies the mech underneath the falling person for several seconds to match their descent speed to that of the person they're trying to rescue and gradually lowers them in to the hand. I think Alto did it in Macross Frontier or one of the movies for instance, though I could be getting it confused with another show that did it very easily. I don't know that doing so would really prevent death, but then, landing on a balloon at that kind of speed is probably not going to prevent serious injury or death either really.
>>
>>11187634
Yeah well those people also missed the part about space magic found on mars and take things too seriously
>>
>>11190074
>they missed the space magic.
It's space magic technology, not complete-and-total-transformation-of-everything dust.

There's space tech, and then there's magical Disney palaces with people that have an unchecked hatred for humanity (of which they are). These are people who have been dealing with the whole Mars and Aldnoah thing for 40 years and already think they're above humans and hate them with every fiber of their being.

After a mere 40 years. That means that maybe a third of the people there were alive when Mars was discovered, and another third were alive before Heaven's Fall happened. All of these people just suddenly had their "I'm better than those Terran Earthers" switches flipped, even though they're just bigger-asshole versions of humans.

There aren't enough generations for this shit. Not unless they've also used space magic to mind control the majority of their population.
>>
>>11190111
I wonder if the general population aren't dicks and it's just the aristocrats who have a spacism stick up their asses.
>>
>>11190074
>take things too seriously
Wheredoyouthinkweare.hta

>>11179948
Actually we do see them from time to time. 00 featured it prominently in S2 (Setsuna's first encounter with Ribbon), and hell, 0079 has Amuro mentioning a release hatch in the very first episode. In other series, there's usually some form of grappling line near the cockpit (08th) in lieu of automated hands. In fact, I'd say most series have thought it out, they just don't show them much because they're not integral to the plot (like the 3 seconds showing how Allelujah climbs into Kyrios when it's in flight-mode in episode 3 or 4)
>>
>>11190124
>talking about hatch stuff and getting into cockpits.
The standard in mecha for assisted entry to the cockpit is a winch mechanism. Either a hard elevating line to bring people up to cockpit level, or ye olde rope and foot hold.

A lot of Gundam shows also have, for some completely stupid reason, an external release for the cockpit to open it from the outside (That apparently works WHILE IT'S BEING OPERATED. I'm looking at you Gundam X. That shit is dumb).
>>
>>11190131
Why are A/Z fags so fucking retarded?
>>
>>11179948
>Howcome we don't see more of this sort of features on mecha's hands?

>he's never watched Godannar or a slew of other mecha shows

Just because it's the first time you saw something, doesn't mean that it's rare.
>>
>>11190141
>This guy is clearly retarded for talking about actual things that exist in these shows.
I'm still waiting for the explanation as to why I'm retarded. Winches are, in fact, a very popular method for cockpit entry in mecha shows. Also, having your cockpit be able to be opened by some enemy soldier from the outside while you're fighting in a battle is, in fact, very stupid.
>>
>>11190425
I think this where some of the hate for a/z stem from. They think A/Z is some special shit for doing X when mech shows have been doing X for a while
>>
>>11190624

I have literally never seen a pro-AZ post claim that AZ did something first. Even the OP doesn't do that.

He just says "Hey, a handlebar built into the hand of the robot. That's clever."

Has it been done before? Sure, if you have encyclopedic knowledge of the entire mecha genre. But the fact of the matter is that most shows do not, and citing specific examples doesn't disprove a trend, just the failure of an absolute that was never claimed.
>>
Hasn't Gundam been doing this for years with fire extinguishers, birdlime launchers, dummy launchers, targeting cameras?
>>
>>11190131
>what is an emergency hatch opening

Would you want to be stuck in your MS? Also modern tanks also have hatches that are accessible from the outside while in operation.
>>
>>11186469
Why would a camera be glowing in the first place?
>>
>>11190727
>accessing the cockpit from the outside while it's in operation.
The problem is that this provides no utility to the crew/pilot whatsoever. All this does is provide them yet another way for them to be killed by their enemy, except this way allows them to also hijack their super-expensive war machine.

The concept it sound, but having it be something that people can just casually do is just stupid. Getting a hatch open externally while someone is operating the vehicle should be described with something no less powerful that "forced". I'd rather a mechanic team suffer a couple of hours resetting the locking system to open the cockpit on my death machine than some guy being able to casually open it and shoot me.

I'm not saying that all mecha shows where this feature exists have it be so hilariously lax in security, but I've seen it before a couple times.
>>
>>11190749
You realize getting close enough to a mobile suit to hijack it means security means jack shit when your pilot lets someone get close enough, right?

You're kinda dense, dude.
>>
>>11190749
>I'd rather a mechanic team suffer a couple of hours resetting the locking system to open the cockpit on my death machine than some guy being able to casually open it and shoot me.

And then you bleed out like a bitch and die before they can get to you.
>>
>>11190767
>I'm an idiot apparently, but this guy is so dense!
So you're saying that a pilot's inability to track the movements of every speck of human on the battlefield makes him a worthless sack of shit that deserves death because he failed to account for all those worthless little specks of human?

And what will those humans do besides open his cockpit? Shoot tiny machineguns at him? 08th MS Team is probably the best example of why infantry isn't really something worth minding for a mobile suit pilot. You may recall that the Zaku I was fitted with anti-personnel cluster bombs that killed nearly 100% of its targets. It took a direct hit to the cockpit of the first mass-produced war mobile suit with a modern Feddie launcher to kill the pilot of the stationary and partially-crippled mobile suit.

So no, I don't think it's dense to think that a giant war machine made to fight against battleships and other giant war machines would easily miss the presence of a tiny human being that it wasn't really intended to worry about in the first place.

Also the economy in Gundam X seems to be based on grappling hooks, external hatches, and pistols pointed at pilots.

>>11190781
>then you bleed out because they can't reach you.
Why? If they're friendly mechanics they would know the override code. Even if they didn't, it's a small price to pay when my mobile suit with friendly IFF codes isn't being hijacked and turned against unsuspecting friendlies.
>>
>>11190693
Bullshit.

OP says
>Hey, A/Z does this. Why isn't this a trend? Why don't other mecha shows do this? I mean, come on
>>
>>11190805
Yes you are dense because you missed the point entriely.
>>
>>11180008
I really liked that feature

I also thought it was kinda funny how they had a door in the side of the hand. I mean, you always see that a pilot uses the hand to get back in (instead of using a ladder or something) and the hand just automatically knows to bring the pilot back up to the chest. It's usually that or the pilot is just really good at climbing things and scales his own mech for a while.
>>
>>11190820

I don't see how it could come off as that unless you were intentionally looking for a reason to be offended.
>>
>>11190805
>Even if they didn't, it's a small price to pay when my mobile suit with friendly IFF codes isn't being hijacked and turned against unsuspecting friendlies.
>IFF codes mattering in a universe where radio signals are jammed

You really love talking out of your ass, don't you?
>>
>>11190856
>IFF codes matter in a universe where radio signals are jammed
>Everything mecha universe is Gundam now.
>>
While I understand that you faggots need battle it out over which side has the bigger dick, can we get back to mecha hands?

http://youtu.be/IsMTpSDAGxM?t=1m7s
>>
>>11190820

More like he noticed that feature and just wondered why the majority of most mecha shows don't show small details on hands or other joints, like footholds.

But sure, think he's on a crusade, championing A.Z as something revolutionary and entirely new, you deluded idiot.
>>
>>11190862
We were specifically talking about Gundam, though. They even said mobile suits.
>>
>>11190862
But they were both talking about Gundam?
>>
>>11190864
I really didn't like that movie, but the visuals were excellent. I love attention to detail like that.
>>
>>11190882
"I" was using Gundam as an example because it's the series that I'm most knowledgeable of. That doesn't mean I'm talking purely about Gundam.

IFF was just an example. In Gundam it's technically worse because your differentiating friend from foe comes from the mobile suit itself and its markings. If Minovsky Particle density is high and a Jegan or two are headed back to their mothership after a battle you wouldn't really think anything of it until they get in the hangar and start blowing up shit.

Originally that Jegan might've been mopping up an asteroid after a battle or checking out the wreckage of a fallen ship to confirm kills. If some guy in a space suit clinging to some debris jumps onto his mobile suit, he's not really going to know about it.

Hell, a prevailing strategy in MSG is using balloons shaped like spaceships to confuse the enemy. If balloons can confuse them, why would humans latching on to mobile suits without them knowing be a surprise?

Also, for the IFF thing, that would come in to play in something like Macross where missile spam is fun and battles can get a tad chaotic.
>>
>>11190924
>>11190924
Me too, but I guess it was mostly because it wasn't what I had expected. They took everything that I liked about the OVA and the first movie and drastically toned them down. In hindsight, I'd have probably liked it more if I saw it again.

But all of the animation was superb, especially the mechanical animation, but unfortunately, there wasn't too much of it.
>>
>>11180209

Head mounted virtual reality displays for targeting and stuff are about 60% of the reason fighter pilots wear helmets still. The helmets themselves are literally 200,000 dollars and bashing them on the side of the glass is not their primary use.
>>
>>11187593

I kek'd
>>
I was going to talk about what >>11187716 bring out

If I was really expected to catch or transport pretty girls I would invest in inflatable/foldable *bag (like airplane toboggan) with easily catchable strap.

...I would also invest in sprinkler that shoot clothes-dissolving acid.
...and fishing net
...this discussion is leading my mind to dangerous place
>>
>>11191053
holy autism
>>
File: 1405199692446.jpg (155KB, 640x632px) Image search: [Google]
1405199692446.jpg
155KB, 640x632px
>>11179948
>>11186469
I like this show because it's the first one in a while to pay attention to little details like this.
>>
>>11190141
Why are Anti-A/Z fags such hate-mongers? I don't watch this but the amount of trolling by the anti-A/Z anons is completely ridiculous. if you hate it so much why arn't you guys just hiding the thread and moving on?
>>
>>11191053
I haven't seen frontier, but is this them trying to recreate Minmei's "falling through the atmosphere" scene?
>>
>>11191736
Yes, they actually get blown out of the colony for a second before returning back inside the dome.
>>
>>11191108
#1 it's popular
#2 Gen Urobochi
#3 Someone on the staff said they wanted it to surpass Gundam.
#4 Because people respond to it like they did Valvrave.
#5 CG.
#6 Because reasons.
>>
>>11180142
People just hate Aldnoah because no one is paying attention to their precious M3.
>>
>>11190849
Welcome to Aldnoah threads, where people deliberately misinterpret or choose to take in the most negative way because they're looking for a reason to be angry and/or offended.
>>
>>11192375
No, it's because Aldnoah soaks up all the trolling that M3 threads are actually civil. I'm rather thankful for it.

Seriously though Aldnoah is a fine show, not great or anything but certainly not bad.
>>
>>11191102
>it's the first one in a while to pay attention to little details like this.
Spoken like a true newfag
>>
>>11190693
>But the fact of the matter is that most shows do not, and citing specific examples doesn't disprove a trend
Actually it does. You're just fucking new. What next? A/Z is the first mecha series to use different ammunition?
>>
>>11192581
All of the shitposters are too busy ruining Aldnoah threads to pay attention to Argevollen or M3.
>>
>>11192655
>Having an opinion=shitposting

A/Zfags Ladies and Gents!
>>
>>11192675
There's a difference between having an opinion and refusing to let actual discussion of the show happen. The people who see anything positive said about the show as blind fanboying and pretending the show is flawless.

I'm talking about the people who can't go five minutes without reminding people of how terrible the show is and how much they hate it. Do I have a problem with anybody saying they don't like it? No. Going on and on and on about it? Yes.

Why is it so wrong for me to want to talk about the actual mecha without people jumping in every ten seconds to remind us that it's not ok to think that the mecha and their mechanical detail are cool because they think the show sucks?
>>
>>11192767
>Why is it so wrong for me to want to talk about the actual mecha without people jumping in every ten seconds to remind us that it's not ok to think that the mecha and their mechanical detail are cool because they think the show sucks?
You can say the same thing about VVV.
>>
>>11192767
just ignore those posts
>>
>Staff makes a comment about wanting to surpass Gundam.
>Show is not terrible but it's not that great either.
>Show is entertaining because of the action, music and production values.
>This makes fans think that it's good
>Endless shitposting occurs from the people who expected it to be better
>>
>>11194124
>>Show is entertaining because of the action, music and production values.
What? It is Mahouka with mechs, yet another boring teenager power fantasy anime.
>>
It isn't an intended feature and most of the times it's a mass production model and you need to save money on those.
>>
>>11194200

Its pretty clear the mech designers went full OPERATOR on these suits adding extraneous details like the blast visor blinking and the wrist handles just to make them look rugged and busy. It all looks dumb to me when the grunts end up looking like generic Autobots, but if it gets people to buy the gunpla then whatever.
>>
>>11194139
>What? It is Mahouka with mechs, yet another boring teenager power fantasy anime.

Wow, like a majority of all action-based cartoons ever made, then?
Thread posts: 113
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.