[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what /m/ story has the hardest science? quality of the story

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

File: thedream.jpg (537KB, 1024x756px) Image search: [Google]
thedream.jpg
537KB, 1024x756px
what /m/ story has the hardest science?
quality of the story doesnt matter
>>
Gunbuster

http://www.toponeraegunbuster.com/Gunbuster-Science-Lessons.html
>>
>>11110774
No. Gunbuster's science is very well disguised nonsense.

Overall there is basically not a single /m/ story that doesn't sacrifice some reality. Most sacrifice A LOT.
>>
>>11110782
This, by episode 5 they aren't even attempting to make it realistic anymore

"Because of the weakened causality, the navigation system is controlled by espers and dolphin brains"
>>
>>11110774
>That gloriously hi-res blu-ray image
>All blu-ray releases use the shitty redone audio
>>
>>11110754

Off the top of my head: GITS SAC.
>>
File: Yuuko double slit experiment.jpg (124KB, 1030x573px) Image search: [Google]
Yuuko double slit experiment.jpg
124KB, 1030x573px
>>11110754
Aside from the general nonsense of bipedal, humanoid giant robots, "a strong will being able to choose the correct set of events to form the optimal dimension" and, of course, the unlikelyhood that an alternate reality 2001 would have that many DD's in a single cast, the physics in Muv-Luv is actually pretty spot on (well, that is, if you subscribe, as is modern scientific consensus, to the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics), particularly Yuuko's explanations in episodes 5 and 6.
>>
>>11110754
Daitarn 3
>>
File: 7513_original.jpg (44KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
7513_original.jpg
44KB, 500x375px
"I copy, over."
>>
>>11110754
Probably Patlabor. Mecha are kept small enough that they're not going to run into any square-cube law problems with structural strength or heat dissipation, and the focus on them in civilian uses means we don't have to handwave away their large profile making them an obvious target on the battlefield.
>>
>>11110782
>Gunbuster's science is very well disguised nonsense.
Nadesico does this too.
>>
>>11110754

Robotics;Notes. Almost depressingly so.
>>
votoms
>>
>>11110834
This. Its probably the hardest scifi in general
>>
>>11114291
LET'S USE BRAINWASHING MICROWAVES TO GET MONOPOLES TO SHOOT BLACK HOLES AT THE SUN TO MAKE A SOLAR FLARE TO DESTROY MANKIND!!!!!!!!

>realistic
>>
>>11110826
this. ghost in the shell (at least before arise) did a pretty good job staying grounded in feasible science.
>>
>>11114303
Not really, no.

The mechs themselves have a bit of a coating of hard science to them, but once you peel back the tacticool on it, the setting is pretty damn soft in a lot of ways. Especially when Quent enters the picture and Clarke's Third Law kicks in.
>>
>>11114414
To be honest that's more of what I meant. The giant robot's themselves are fairly grounded
>>
>>11110834
Manga is so different
Ai is not even present during some of the most important events in the story,including Hachirota's space depression and recovery
>>
>>11114414
I am curious to know what are other mecha series in any media does tacticool like Votoms, apart from other Tahakashi shows?
>>
>>11114335

I thought that they were just using the block hole bomb to fake the effects of a solar flare? And the monopoles were just being used to cause the weird electromagnetic effects to lend credability to the unusual solar storm cover story they had been building up.

The rest of the stuff, like the use of augmented reality and the fact that making even a really basic humanoid robot that doesn't collapse under its own weight is super difficult, made it seem pretty grounded.
>>
>>11114351
I would say the depiction of optical camouflage was extremely optimistic, but I can't think of any other major offences.
>>
>>11110832
Could you please stop spouting this nonsense in every science-related thread on /m/? The whole point of the story was that the main character was stuck in a time-loop because his girlfriend missed him. I couldn't care less what Yuuko was saying for a few lines out of hours upon hours of total bullshit.

It's like, if Dr. Saotome was explaining how lightbulbs work in Getter Robo, you'd argue that it too was hard science. He would then talk about how a Getter Ray collector would use plasma to interfere with dinosaur ultrasonic radio frequencies, but nope, it's HARD SCI-FI because his lightbulb explanation made sense.
>>
File: Planetes-background-wallpaper.jpg (141KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Planetes-background-wallpaper.jpg
141KB, 1024x768px
>>11110754
Planetes.
>>
>>11114839
Fuck, beaten to the punch by >>11110834
>>
>>11114351
What did Arise wrong?
>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ-OyT4ivkM
>>
>>11110754
Planetes

UC Gundam would be a decent nominee if it wasn't for all of the crazy newtype shit. UC would be so much better if they didn't use psychic powers as a gimmicky stand-in for character development
>>
>>11114471
Not only did they introduce Tanabe significantly earlier to the point that she's the protagonist for the first half of the series, they entirely overhauled and retooled the romantic subplot between her and Hachi on top of an anime original ending that was actually significantly better than what the manga ended up going for. One of the few times that an adaptation has pulled so far ahead of the source material, not to speak ill of the manga.
>>
>>11114351
Wrong. GITS has armored giant robots. Impossible, square cube law.

And also car sized robots, that can fly around using "spider like webs". Very unrealistic. The "spider web" would remove the painting layer of the buildings and it would fall.
>>
>>11117829
THEY REPLACED BATO'S VA
>>
>>11117857
>UC Gundam would be a decent nominee if it wasn't for all of the crazy newtype shit.
>>
>>11118166
I'd say the real problem is that they replaced everything just for the sake of replacing it, unlike SAC there was no thought put into the changes.
>>
File: 1395711832544.jpg (146KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1395711832544.jpg
146KB, 1280x720px
I only post to tell you that >>11117999 is frigging right.
It's very rare for an anime to completely outdo its original source.

Also I don't know any /m/ show more hard SF, except things more grounded like the "Short Peace" OAV
>>
>>11118393
>Also I don't know any /m/ show more hard SF, except things more grounded like the "Short Peace" OAV
go away katoki
>>
The answer is, indeed, Planetes.

Honorable mentions, for a space opera the Seikai /Banner of the Star series. Fuel's a concern, deceleration is done by thrusting, not turning the engines off, the genetic engineering is very feasible, different colonies from different STL seed ships are widely different 'amounts' in the future due to relativity, etc. etc.. The only soft is in the FTL and having some anti-grav/inertial compensators in larger ships. It can't compete with a mono-system nearer future SF of course, but 'for a space opera.'
>>
>>11117999
I think that the reworking of the romance between the two was possibly the most important change, it put Hachi's personal arc in a radically different light and the decision to introduce Tanabe as a protagonist first played into it brilliantly, since even when the focus shifted to Hachi we were still viewing their relationship from the perspective of Tanabe, since it was how we were introduced to it. Doesn't hurt that 'loving, caring girlfriend has to stand by and watch while her husbando repeatedly hurts her emotionally and enters into a self-destructive cycle of anger and angst before her eyes' is a lot fresher than 'protagonist is constantly a dick to one of the few good things in his life for no real reason'
>>
>>11118165
Square cube law just makes giant mecha difficult not impossible.
>>
>>11118487
>Some Anon bringing up Square-Cube Law.
Oh this'll be goo-

Wow. This is a new level of stupid.
>>11118165
You sir have literally no idea how physics works. Congratulations.
>DEM WEBS WOULD PEEL PAINT THO!
One would think that if you made a stringshot projectile that allows you to do the shit it does, you would account for that being a factor in the rare circumstances where it is.
>>
>>11110832
actually, Yuuko explicitly attributes Shirogane's situation to the Everett Interpretation, rather than Copenhagen.
>>
>>11118493
You've got to admit that the tachikoma seem a bit heavy to be doing the things they do. It would be a lot easier to believe if they were half the size
>>
>>11119073

Yea, you'd need rather strong anchor points for a lot of their stuff. The stress would be high.
>>
>>11119073
Remeber they are mostly hollow too fit a passenger compartment
>>
Stuff that is /m/ by logic alone, and is generally just regular scifi. And by hard science, do you mean backing shit up with numbers, or do you mean just not making obvious mistakes?
>>
>>11110834
>>11114839

Is this show worth a gander? I could always use a new series to watch when I vidja.
>>
>>11120685
Its pretty good. One of ny favourite scifis in general
>>
>>11120685
>While I vidya
No, Planetes is one of the best out there and it needs your full attention.
>>
>>11120685
Disgusting. Probably not even playing a hard science video game.
>>
>>11118493
He's right, depending on the definition of "giant". We've built some fucking ridiculous vehicles that are bigger than some mecha. What's imopssible or at least astronomically unlikely is the military viability of a mech.

The most "hard" mecha sci fi I've seen is a toss-up between FLAG and VOTOMS. FLAG features mechs with built-in weapons standing still to aim and fire, but VOTOMS has even smaller mechs and doesn't feature that one brief cut where the HAVWCS jumps sideways to either dodge a cannon shot or at least to evade fire. The latter makes sense but is unlikely to work.

Everyone loves Planetes. I need to watch it.
>>
>>11120685
>vidya

Bad idea, it's like watching LOGH while playing vidya, bad idea. There's just so much shit and small details you have to pay attention to.
>>
>>11123951
Oh, well, hard sci fi *story*, in that case definitely FLAG. It's basically Modern Middle East Conflict Journalist + mechs + conspiracy overplot.
>>
>>11110850
Except for the well-disguised part.
>>
>>11114763
>I would say the depiction of optical camouflage was extremely optimistic, but I can't think of any other major offences.

Why do they even bother with optical camo when anyone could be geared up with thermal/radar/ultrasonic detection systems?

>>11114304
If it was hard sci-fi the work would be done by robots.
>>
>>11117857
This is what UCfags actually believe.
>>
Future GPX Cyber Formula.
it will bring out your inner engineer and teach you the science of driving.
>>
>>11117857
sounds like your soul has not yet been liberated from the pull of earth's gravity.
>>
>>11120685
its fucking boring, it's a workplace simulator with disney style endings to every episode
>>
>>11128400
>I barely watched three episodes
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.