[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Scared of PDF's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: 1441824219113.jpg (366KB, 800x1212px) Image search: [Google]
1441824219113.jpg
366KB, 800x1212px
I have gotten more interested in esoteric literature where the easiest way to get it is to just go on the internet and read a PDF but I'm scared it'll be hosted on a dodgy site and my laptop will get it's shit fucked up. I run linux mint btw.

Is this is a justified fear? Can you trust PDF's?
>>
>>7338412
>viruses on Linux
I'm no O/g/ but why would someone write a virus for an OS no one basically uses? Also you can't write a virus into a .pdf extension
>>
>>7338417
>why would someone write a virus for an OS no one basically uses

even if no one uses it , I'm still massively paranoid that some fucker out there has probably done it.

> Also you can't write a virus into a .pdf extension
wat, what about safe view though? What is that supposed to protect you from if not malicous stuff?
>>
I've downloaded a shitton of esoteric works and never gotten anything. You buggin my nigga
>>
>>7338417
>Also you can't write a virus into a .pdf extension
Not quite true, but OP... you're fine. Just get your PDFs.
>linux
Double fine.
>>
http://www.malwaretracker.com/docthreat.php

These are some of the threats that PDFs can harbour. Actual viruses are pretty rare these days malware might have similar effects but they aren't technically viruses. Most of the threats rely on them being used in a well understood, known system, a standard Microsoft install. A linux install is typically far too unique for malware to be viable. Although with big name distros like mint or ubuntu it becomes marginally more viable.

A dodgy site is more likely to target your cross-platform browser and make it lock up than hosing your system.
>>
>>7338443
>A dodgy site is more likely to target your cross-platform browser and make it lock up

What if you use noscript on firefox? I should basically be 100% fine, right? I don't really want my shit to lock up desu.
>>
>>7338448
Noscript is good, it's not likely to lock up or cause any real harm, stop worrying senpai. Worry more about unleashing the unspeakable horrors of the unknown with your satanic esoteric literature desu.
>>
>>7338448
Using noscript and adblock/ublock has made even the dodgiest sites navigable in my experience. If you reduce the web to basic html and css, then nothing is going to harm your computer. Of course if you're downloading pdfs, then that's a different story since downloading anything provides another unsafe vector.

I don't think you need to worry too much if you're using Linux anyway. Browsing sketchy sites always involves some risk and you just have to accept that. If you're so worried about it, then just go through safer sources like the avenues suggested in the sticky.

That being said, I don't understand how you can read entire books on an LCD screen. I can't stand pdfs.
>>
>>7338458
alright, guess I was just stupidly worrying, guess I'll go worship some demons now. :^)
>>
what type of lit are we talking about here?
>>
>>7338469
Mystic literature as in self-transformation through contemplation of the spiritual/divine.
>>
>>7338469
Stuff about Masonry and satanism. Not the typical edgelord ICP satanism, but the more karma-based non-biblical type. Jewluminati level.
>>
>>7338469
>>7338476
http://www.sacred-texts.com/ is a trustworthy site of the mystic and esoteric
>>
>>7338526
noted, thanks senpai. Does it contain hermetic texts?
>>
>>7338539
There's a few in here: http://www.sacred-texts.com/alc/index.htm
>>
why are you running linux mint?
just out of interest
>>
>>7338551
I accidentally uninstalled windows 7 after fucking around with it and I'm too lazy to get it back since all I do is browse 4chan, listen to music and read anyway.

also because no one uses linux, so it's a pretty safe OS
>>
>>7338545
much appreciated.
>>
>>7338561
cool, good to hear
>>
>>7338477
got any links?
>>
>>7338412
>Use a virtual machine if you're so paranoid
>???
>Profit
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.